N.C. lottery excitement: first Powerball jackpot winner

Nov 30, 2006, 10:06 am (44 comments)

Powerball

Someone who bought a Powerball lottery ticket this week in North Carolina is $74.5 million richer this morning.

Powerball officials say one winning ticket — matching all six numbers drawn Wednesday night — was sold this week. That ticket was sold in North Carolina, although there is no word this morning where that ticket was purchased.

The winning numbers were 2, 8, 9, 12 and 19, with the Powerball number of 25.  The Power Play multiplier was 3.

This is the first Powerball jackpot won with a ticket purchased in North Carolina since the game first went on sale there May 30, 2006.

The holder of the winning ticket will now have to decide to either take the 29-year, 30-installment annuity, or the one time cash "lump sum" amount of $36,071,688.

In addition to the jackpot winner, two tickets were sold in North Carolina that had the five correct numbers, but not the Powerball number. Each of those tickets is worth $200,000.

This jackpot win comes one week after Philip Smith, a hairstylist in Charlotte, won $1 million in the Powerball lottery with a ticket he purchased in South Carolina. Smith had the five winning numbers, making the ticket worth $200,000 — but he also had the correct Power Play number, 5. That multiplied his winnings by five.

In Wednesday's Powerball drawing, 25 tickets correctly matched the 5 white numbers and won $200,000: 1 from Arizona (with Power Play), 1 from Colorado, 3 from Connecticut, 1 from Washington, D.C. (with Power Play), 4 from Indiana (2 with Power Play), 2 from Louisiana, 1 from Minnesota, 2 from Missouri, 1 from North Carolina, 1 from New Hampshire, 1 from Oklahoma (with Power Play), 2 from Pennsylvania (1 with Power Play), 2 from Rhode Island, 2 from Tennessee (1 with Power Play) and 1 from Wisconsin (with Power Play).

Each second prize winner will get $200,000, but the 8 tickets that were purchased with the Power Play option will receive $600,000, as the Power Play multiplier number was 3.

Besides the jackpot, there were a total of 523,202 winning tickets in "America's Game" Wednesday evening, Those tickets won prizes totaling $13,682,627.

Other big winners included 102 tickets that matched 4 white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. An additional 18 tickets at that level also purchased the Power Play option multiplying the prize by 3 for a total win of $30,000.

A total of 100,325 winning Powerball plays were multiplied by 3 Wednesday evening. Winners were able to do so by purchasing the Power Play option for one dollar. With Power Play you can multiply your winnings, except for the jackpot, from 2 to 5 times. At the beginning of each drawing a wheel is spun to select that night's multiplier.

Players purchased more than $20.3 million in tickets between Sunday and Wednesday night.

The jackpot for Saturday, December 2nd, will be $15 million.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

cps10's avatarcps10

It wasn't me, so I am bitter

Editgap

Am still wonder why 25 second prize winners - Another fortune cookie number or good birthday numbers.

SassyOhio's avatarSassyOhio

Ok so I am just gonna get ILL now Puke  The ONLY place that I didnt stop and get any tickets was NC  Bang Head   OK so next trip I will hit ALL THE POWER BALL STATES  Even if its 2.00 a state LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

bambini

I'm itching for a 300 million dollar jackpot,   2006 was the year of the not so great lotto jackpots.   Don't get me wrong I would take any jackpot win.     I would love to see the jackpots get really big for a change.

wpb's avatarwpb

It was not me either, I didnt even have the powerball this time.   I usually get something but not this draw.

CASH Only

Ironically, Hot Lotto, MUSL's secondary game offered in nine states and DC, has a higher jackpot. North Carolina would be a great place for HL, but I don't think North Carolina will have HL soon, if at all.

Just6ntlc

Congratulations to the winners playing PB.

petergrfn

Not trying to be a sore loser but dang.  It seems like every winning ticket from the Carolina's ends up being someone from North Carolina. The 2 powerball jackpot winners from South Carolina ended up being someone from North Carolina claiming the jackpots. Just saying I'd like to see someone actually from the state get the jackpot. I hope the person who won is a local North Carolinian. Or a South Carolinian who  crossed over and bought a ticket! Smile       Anyways congats to the winner sorry for the rant all having a bad work week. Thank GOD it's almost Friday!

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

Hurray!Congratulations to the winner.

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

the numbers also could've been picked.all those numbers are so low in the matrix.birthday numbers???

we will find out......

Lotto Czar's avatarLotto Czar

Isn't it ironic in that not so long ago, it was considered a crime to even have any lottery ticket in North Carolina.  Never been there, but I can lose just as easily on Power ball up here.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Congrats to the winner! When I get a quikpik with the numbers grouped close together I say to myself I never would have picked those. But they sometimes do win and big!

cps10's avatarcps10

Quote: Originally posted by SassyOhio on Nov 30, 2006

Ok so I am just gonna get ILL now Puke  The ONLY place that I didnt stop and get any tickets was NC  Bang Head   OK so next trip I will hit ALL THE POWER BALL STATES  Even if its 2.00 a state LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hey Sassy!

Long time no see...where ya been?

rdc137

Quote: Originally posted by Lotto Czar on Nov 30, 2006

Isn't it ironic in that not so long ago, it was considered a crime to even have any lottery ticket in North Carolina.  Never been there, but I can lose just as easily on Power ball up here.

How many people were ever charged with this crime? Any NC winners who won jackpots out of state get brought up on charges?

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are some states still that consider having an out-of-state lottery ticket an arrestable offense?

starchild_45's avatarstarchild_45

i hope it is me. i got a powerplay ticket that is coming due next month from north carolina. i see PA had a 2nd place winner there too. so my fingers are crossed that one of them will win and i can do the happy dance and say i quit my job. oh yeah.

i have to wait until my ticket runs out. i can't bear checking early and see i have a loser. so i will just say it was mine to win. i won't mind getting on a plane with a first class up grade to fly to north carolina to pick up the ticket like the south carolina winner. hahahahahahahahaha i am a mad man. lol.

Quote: Originally posted by SassyOhio on Nov 30, 2006

just get a multi draw ticket and you will be good for awhile.

cps10's avatarcps10

I hope you bought your ticket in Halifax County, NC.

Quote: Originally posted by petergrfn on Nov 30, 2006

Not trying to be a sore loser but dang.  It seems like every winning ticket from the Carolina's ends up being someone from North Carolina. The 2 powerball jackpot winners from South Carolina ended up being someone from North Carolina claiming the jackpots. Just saying I'd like to see someone actually from the state get the jackpot. I hope the person who won is a local North Carolinian. Or a South Carolinian who  crossed over and bought a ticket! Smile       Anyways congats to the winner sorry for the rant all having a bad work week. Thank GOD it's almost Friday!

well i beg to differ. i hope it is me and i am not from either state. i could use the money just as much as the next person. i can understand your point. i just disagree with it.

Quote: Originally posted by rdc137 on Nov 30, 2006

How many people were ever charged with this crime? Any NC winners who won jackpots out of state get brought up on charges?

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are some states still that consider having an out-of-state lottery ticket an arrestable offense?

not that i know of. i do know it is a crime to go and get a lotto ticket from canada!!! i found out the hard way. i never tell them i bought a lotto ticket anymore from there. whenever i go to canada i always get me a canadian lotto.

Quote: Originally posted by cps10 on Nov 30, 2006

I hope you bought your ticket in Halifax County, NC.

i hope that is the county that charlotte sits in. if that is so then i have a shot at the big one. if not i am a loser again. lol.

cps10's avatarcps10

Quote: Originally posted by starchild_45 on Nov 30, 2006

i hope that is the county that charlotte sits in. if that is so then i have a shot at the big one. if not i am a loser again. lol.

Nope...I am in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County. Sorry, star...it would have been cool if someone on here would have won!!

rdc137

not that i know of. i do know it is a crime to go and get a lotto ticket from canada!!! i found out the hard way. i never tell them i bought a lotto ticket anymore from there. whenever i go to canada i always get me a canadian lotto.

Explain please.

Explain please.

there is rule on the books here in the states that you can't go somewhere to purchase a lottery ticket. this is what i was told by the US customs people. trust you me that they have a lot of other things on their plate and they are not looking to bust you for this.

i don't like messing with law enforcement and like being truthful when they ask me a question. my wife and i went there for the weekend and didn't buy anything to bring back. i did have a lotto ticket on me that i purchased. well i told him jokingly that we didn't buy anything but a lotto ticket to bring back.

he leaned into my car and told me that he will pretend that he didn't hear that and not to tell anyone in the future. it is against the law to do that. i took him for his word and since that time i never claim my lotto purchases when i go there. i buy all the time when i  go there.

i can't quote the exact law but his word was good enough for me. i know if i win i have to still claim my winnings in canada on my taxes here. WHAT A BUMMER.

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

Nice to wake up a multi millionaire.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I think you can't claim a jackpot if you are not resident in some certain states like New Hampshire. I wonder why they should get away with such a law, i mean it's not like they ask you for proof of residency when you go buy lottery tickets in those states. It's like being conned by the state.

Oh and another thing, why don't massachusetts people ever win the lottery?

rdc137

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Nov 30, 2006

I think you can't claim a jackpot if you are not resident in some certain states like New Hampshire. I wonder why they should get away with such a law, i mean it's not like they ask you for proof of residency when you go buy lottery tickets in those states. It's like being conned by the state.

Delaware isn't one of those states. They have instructions for how to pay taxes for out-of-state gambling winnings. Anything won in the state lottery, including the slots, is tax-free.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

When I was stationed in Germany we played the Hessen Lotto all the time. Guess it would have been interesting if any U.S. personnel had hit a jackpot.

Unique game- 6 /49 for the jackpot

Then they had the "Zuzatspielen", and extra ball drawn, so if you had 5 of the 6 you had a chance at the exttra ball for a lower prize.

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Nov 30, 2006

i think you are wrong on both counts.

one of the biggest winners of the lottery was a cleaning lady from massachuetts. she won a little over 300 million dollars.

winning big pots and not being from that state does not preclude you from collecting the money. you don't have to be a citizen of the country to win either. if you are a non resident they take all the taxes they can get from you and do their state due diligence poof you are gone back to england or mexico.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

there is rule on the books here in the states that you can't go somewhere to purchase a lottery ticket. this is what i was told by the US customs people. trust you me that they have a lot of other things on their plate and they are not looking to bust you for this.

i don't like messing with law enforcement and like being truthful when they ask me a question. my wife and i went there for the weekend and didn't buy anything to bring back. i did have a lotto ticket on me that i purchased. well i told him jokingly that we didn't buy anything but a lotto ticket to bring back.

he leaned into my car and told me that he will pretend that he didn't hear that and not to tell anyone in the future. it is against the law to do that. i took him for his word and since that time i never claim my lotto purchases when i go there. i buy all the time when i  go there.

i can't quote the exact law but his word was good enough for me. i know if i win i have to still claim my winnings in canada on my taxes here. WHAT A BUMMER.

"there is rule on the books here in the states that you can't go somewhere to purchase a lottery ticket."

You misunderstood, the agent was wrong,  or it's an old law that is unenforceable. With few exceptions, wherever you are you are subject only to the local laws and the laws of any place else have no standing. The only exceptions I can think of relate to treason and giving aid or comfort to foreign enemies. Restrictions on travel to Cuba are an exampe. It's not illegal to go to Cuba, but it is illegal for US citizens to aid Cuba by spending money there. If you want to go to Denmark and spend your evenings smoking pot with protitutes you're free to do so, because there is no law against it.

OTOH, it's certainly possible that there are laws that prohibit you from bringing gambling instruments into the country or across state lines.  It's unlikely that such a law would be used against somebody for bringing back a Canadian or Euromillions lottery ticket, but if somebody were to win a foreign lottery they should be consulting a lawyer for a number of reasons. You can't claim a foreign lottery ticket (or even an out of state lottery ticket) at home, anyway, so there's no reason that anyone needs to know where it was betwen the time it was purchased and the time you claim it far from home.

As far as non-residents being prohibited from playing the NH lottery, the world is full of people who happily believe what's not true. Just about all state lotteries cover who can play in their FAQ's, and it's also implicit in the info on tax withholdings for non-residents.

Nope...I am in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County. Sorry, star...it would have been cool if someone on here would have won!!

thanks. i know it is not me now for sure. well maybe i won the 2nd place prize. i can keep wishing that until someone tells me it is not from mecklenburg county too.   :(

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Dec 1, 2006

When I was stationed in Germany we played the Hessen Lotto all the time. Guess it would have been interesting if any U.S. personnel had hit a jackpot.

Unique game- 6 /49 for the jackpot

Then they had the "Zuzatspielen", and extra ball drawn, so if you had 5 of the 6 you had a chance at the exttra ball for a lower prize.

i was in germany for business and i wanted to play that lottery. no one could explain to me how to play it in english. i used to watch the drawings on tv on the weekends there. i couldn't understand a word they were saying. lol.

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Dec 1, 2006

"there is rule on the books here in the states that you can't go somewhere to purchase a lottery ticket."

You misunderstood, the agent was wrong,  or it's an old law that is unenforceable. With few exceptions, wherever you are you are subject only to the local laws and the laws of any place else have no standing. The only exceptions I can think of relate to treason and giving aid or comfort to foreign enemies. Restrictions on travel to Cuba are an exampe. It's not illegal to go to Cuba, but it is illegal for US citizens to aid Cuba by spending money there. If you want to go to Denmark and spend your evenings smoking pot with protitutes you're free to do so, because there is no law against it.

OTOH, it's certainly possible that there are laws that prohibit you from bringing gambling instruments into the country or across state lines.  It's unlikely that such a law would be used against somebody for bringing back a Canadian or Euromillions lottery ticket, but if somebody were to win a foreign lottery they should be consulting a lawyer for a number of reasons. You can't claim a foreign lottery ticket (or even an out of state lottery ticket) at home, anyway, so there's no reason that anyone needs to know where it was betwen the time it was purchased and the time you claim it far from home.

As far as non-residents being prohibited from playing the NH lottery, the world is full of people who happily believe what's not true. Just about all state lotteries cover who can play in their FAQ's, and it's also implicit in the info on tax withholdings for non-residents.

well i dug up the local customs office near me and i will give them a call to get a definitive answer on this question.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

A few years back there was a piece in the news. Some guy got pulled over, I think he had a warrant against him or something. Anyways he had SC lottery tickets in his shirt pocket. I think they may have been sticking out where they were visible. They also charged him for the out of state tickets.

Franklassgirl30's avatarFranklassgirl30

Congrats Powerball winner.Hurray!  Halifax County is located in Northeastern North Carolina.  I live only 40 minutes away.  Keep up the good work North Carolinians, we have to keep our name on the map!!!Wink

SassyOhio's avatarSassyOhio

Hey Sassy!

Long time no see...where ya been?

Oh I been here in the shadows LOL  ... just havent been logging in as much.... I come and read just dont leave to many comments anymore :( ... Good to see you! And lets get it kickin!!!!!  I am hoping that the Mega will keep on rolling!!  Maybe we can get that 300 mill jackpot to start off the new year coming just right !!!! Hyper

cps10's avatarcps10

You've got that right! And I would be just the man to win it ;)

rdc137

Quote: Originally posted by wizeguy on Dec 1, 2006

A few years back there was a piece in the news. Some guy got pulled over, I think he had a warrant against him or something. Anyways he had SC lottery tickets in his shirt pocket. I think they may have been sticking out where they were visible. They also charged him for the out of state tickets.

If any state still has this law we need to figure out which ones and boycott.

Kidzmom's avatarKidzmom

Quote: Originally posted by rdc137 on Dec 1, 2006

If any state still has this law we need to figure out which ones and boycott.

I know NC had this law and if I am not mistaken, they still do.   It all came about when VA and SC got their lotteries and NC folk were heading like bees to play powerball and megamillions and one of the things were, you would be fined $250.00 if caught with a out of state ticket.   I am wondering if that will change now

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Dec 1, 2006

well i went through several layers of federal bureauocracy and got to the border gurards to ask my question about the canadian lottery or the german lottery. i spoke with a supervisor and he says that you can buy a lottery ticket and bring it back. just as long as you don't do it for a commercial purpose. so things have changed a little since i last spoke the truth to the officers. i wish i could go and get another canadian lotto ticket.

ok i have done my good deed for the day.

rdc137

Quote: Originally posted by starchild_45 on Dec 1, 2006

well i went through several layers of federal bureauocracy and got to the border gurards to ask my question about the canadian lottery or the german lottery. i spoke with a supervisor and he says that you can buy a lottery ticket and bring it back. just as long as you don't do it for a commercial purpose. so things have changed a little since i last spoke the truth to the officers. i wish i could go and get another canadian lotto ticket.

ok i have done my good deed for the day.

If I recall, Massachusetts will sell tickets over the phone with a credit card to non-residents for their jackpot games except Mega Millions (residents only by MM's restrictions).

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Quote: Originally posted by starchild_45 on Dec 1, 2006

i was in germany for business and i wanted to play that lottery. no one could explain to me how to play it in english. i used to watch the drawings on tv on the weekends there. i couldn't understand a word they were saying. lol.

starchild_45

Gee, we watched it all the time. It was a 6/49 and the play slips were the same, but auf Deutch (in German). Numbers are numbers.

Maybe they just didn't want to explain it to an 'ausslander' (foreigner), unfortunately some people are like that.  

On Saturday nights they showed the drawing....

"Guten ahbent mein damen und herren (Good evening ladies and gentelemen) und hier bist der Hessen lotto for heute......"

Then the numbers....

(counting in German is really no biggie)

21 (eine und zwanzig)

etc.....

It was fun......

Our neighbor eas the weatherman for the local Tv station and he won something like 560,000 Deutsch Marks (at that time a mark was about 25 cents)

Don't know if they still have it but you have to love a game with the "zuzatspielen"

I never saw a lottery ticket before the Hessen lotto one....this was before most states in the U.s. even had a lotto....and when I got to California, it was the same playslip excdept for the bpnus number. 

Green laugh

GIDDYUP's avatarGIDDYUP

I still think it should be tax free,then the economy would get better,because citizens are smarter with money than government.

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Dec 1, 2006

starchild_45

Gee, we watched it all the time. It was a 6/49 and the play slips were the same, but auf Deutch (in German). Numbers are numbers.

Maybe they just didn't want to explain it to an 'ausslander' (foreigner), unfortunately some people are like that.  

On Saturday nights they showed the drawing....

"Guten ahbent mein damen und herren (Good evening ladies and gentelemen) und hier bist der Hessen lotto for heute......"

Then the numbers....

(counting in German is really no biggie)

21 (eine und zwanzig)

etc.....

It was fun......

Our neighbor eas the weatherman for the local Tv station and he won something like 560,000 Deutsch Marks (at that time a mark was about 25 cents)

Don't know if they still have it but you have to love a game with the "zuzatspielen"

I never saw a lottery ticket before the Hessen lotto one....this was before most states in the U.s. even had a lotto....and when I got to California, it was the same playslip excdept for the bpnus number. 

Green laugh

well you have that up on me. i can not understand any german. i can stumble my way through spanish, italian, or french. i even found a couple of place that had the machines. still no one to translate so i kept my money in my pocket.

the thing i wanted to know was could i play the game and collect my winnings if were in the states when i found out i was a winner. well that was last year and now i can go to google and get the page translated. last year google and other sites were not offering that feature while i was over in germany.

knowing my luck i would have probably lost but i still wanted to play.

Ladyluck2005's avatarLadyluck2005

Darnit.....I didn't even play this time around.

But congrats to the lucky winner(s).   I knew NC would get a win sometime this year.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story