Last-minute lottery ticket wins $254 million Powerball jackpot

Jan 29, 2007, 5:26 pm (31 comments)

Powerball

A retired electrician and World War II veteran is the winner of the largest lottery jackpot ever sold in Missouri — worth more than a quarter of a billion dollars.

Jim Wilson II's, 84, and his wife, Shirley, say they will share the money with three sons. One of those sons, Terry Wilson, who said he hasn't had a vacation in 30 years, likely will be headed to Australia for some rest and recreation.

Jim Wilson came forward Monday to claim the winning prize from last Wednesday's drawing, said Missouri lottery spokeswoman Susan Goedde. The family was introduced at an afternoon news conference in Chesterfield.

Jim Wilson bought the winning ticket just one hour before the close of Powerball sales.

Wilson asked for a $5 ticket at a store shortly before the drawing, and the clerk mentioned that the shop had some $5 Powerball "Quick Pick" tickets with computer-selected numbers already printed, the statement said.

Wilson agreed and took the next ticket, which turned out to be the single winner.

The state lottery said it was the 10th biggest lottery jackpot in the world ever won on a single ticket.

Wilson and his wife, Shirley, 79, have three grown sons, James, 59, William, 54, and Terril, 53, all of St. Louis, and the family has been buying lottery tickets for years with an agreement to share the winnings.

We all buy family Powerball tickets, but mom and dad only buy tickets when the jackpot gets high," said Terril Wilson. "I think this is the first one he's bought in the last six months. This ticket only cost us $1 each, which we were happy to pay."

Officials said the family had hired a former U.S. Internal Revenue Service lawyer to help it handle the winnings.

The money comes after a hard year for two of the Wilson sons, who lost their jobs.

Jim Wilson II, 84, and his wife, Shirley, 79 are winners of a $254 million Powerball lottery jackpot.Terry Wilson, 53, was forced to retire from a company where he had worked 32 years. His brother, Bill Wilson, 54, lost his job when the company he worked for closed. He is, however, working a new job for an area school district. A third brother, Jim Wilson III, is 59.

Shirley Wilson, 79, is a homemaker.

The lone winning ticket — 9-19-29-42-53 and a Powerball number of 17 — was purchased at a Dierbergs grocery store in south St. Louis County. Dierbergs will get $50,000 for selling the ticket.

Jim Wison has the option of receiving the $254 million in 30 payments over 29 years, or accepting a lump-sum payment worth $120 million before taxes.

It's the largest prize in the Missouri Lottery's 21-year history and the seventh-largest Powerball jackpot ever.

Powerball winners in Missouri have 180 days from the drawing to claim their prize.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

konane's avatarkonane

Totally awesome and then some!!  Huge congrats to them all!!  Big Grin Angel

"Wilson asked for a $5 ticket at a store shortly before the drawing, and the clerk mentioned that the shop had some $5 Powerball "Quick Pick" tickets with computer-selected numbers already printed, the statement said.

Wonder if these were "mistakes" or "changed my mind" tickets they offered him????  What?  If so someone is certainly sorry they refused it.

wpb's avatarwpb

Talk about luck! Great story.Big Smile

DoubleDown

We can scheme , plan , and select our numbers all we want to, but as with this family, when it's your time, it's your time..

Not just a quick pick, but a quick pick that was already printed and just sitting there for who knows how long waiting for someone to buy it...

Way to go Wilsons !!!

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by wpb on Jan 29, 2007

Talk about luck! Great story.Big Smile

Hey WPB, what's up with all these North Carolinians getting 5 of 5 (and very wisely selecting power play ) on the PB ?

2 from this drawing won $1 million and there have been several NC tickets recently hit the 5 of 5..
I think I'm buying me some tickets in NC next time I'm there...
DD

wpb's avatarwpb

Quote: Originally posted by DoubleDown on Jan 29, 2007

Hey WPB, what's up with all these North Carolinians getting 5 of 5 (and very wisely selecting power play ) on the PB ?

2 from this drawing won $1 million and there have been several NC tickets recently hit the 5 of 5..
DD

doubledown, I buy my tickets but luck has not hit YET!  I think we just have some gamblers in NC and a lot of people buying tickets.  My time is coming.  Soon I hope!

Tarzan's avatarTarzan

I don't know if it holds true for every state, but in SC powerball tickets can't be cancelled.If you say you want PB,then you buy em!

GASMETERGUY

Quote: Originally posted by konane on Jan 29, 2007

Totally awesome and then some!!  Huge congrats to them all!!  Big Grin Angel

"Wilson asked for a $5 ticket at a store shortly before the drawing, and the clerk mentioned that the shop had some $5 Powerball "Quick Pick" tickets with computer-selected numbers already printed, the statement said.

Wonder if these were "mistakes" or "changed my mind" tickets they offered him????  What?  If so someone is certainly sorry they refused it.

If no customer bought those pre-printed tickets, would the store have been forced to "eat" that 254 million?

Inquiring minds want to know.

cps10's avatarcps10

Quote: Originally posted by DoubleDown on Jan 29, 2007

DD

DD

It hasn't worked for me yet!!!

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Congrats to the Wilsons!

ambelamba

I hope their grandchildren won't get spoiled by the winning prize. Well, as long as they can invest in the right place their descendants are all set for life.

LckyLary

I read the story on the KMOV website. Toward the end of the text it said that money doesn't always bring happiness and it gave a quick outline of JW's story. Being that I have not heard a PEEP out of the Lerners who won MM a few years ago for a similar amount, I don't get why they tossed that in. Are jealous reporters trying to jinx these people or just warn them? Not everyone who wins will make poor choices. Also I hope they are thankful to all of us who contributed to the jackpot (well I got thanked with 3+1 on the next drawing!)

mangeydog

I doubt it was a "mistake" ticket. When the jackpot's get really large and they expect that there will be an increase in ticket buying a lot of places will print up a bunch of $5-$4-$3 tickets so they can save time. However, I see alot of people superstitiously turn these tickets down wanting their tickets printed out when they stand there, so I would bet somebody probably did turn it down.

Kidzmom's avatarKidzmom

What!  a stroke of luck

s5thomps's avatars5thomps

Wow, With Jim being 84 years old I sure hope he takes the cash option.  You just never know when your number will come up! Congratulations to Mr. Wilson and his family.

US Flag

nobie23's avatarnobie23

Quote: Originally posted by GASMETERGUY on Jan 29, 2007

If no customer bought those pre-printed tickets, would the store have been forced to "eat" that 254 million?

Inquiring minds want to know.

my understanding is yes you can't cancel a pb ticket and if all pre-printed tickets are not sold;then the cashier or whoever is working that evening would have to buy those tickets not sold.

the unlucky cashier is crying all the way to the bank  Chair

cps10's avatarcps10

Quote: Originally posted by LckyLary on Jan 29, 2007

I read the story on the KMOV website. Toward the end of the text it said that money doesn't always bring happiness and it gave a quick outline of JW's story. Being that I have not heard a PEEP out of the Lerners who won MM a few years ago for a similar amount, I don't get why they tossed that in. Are jealous reporters trying to jinx these people or just warn them? Not everyone who wins will make poor choices. Also I hope they are thankful to all of us who contributed to the jackpot (well I got thanked with 3+1 on the next drawing!)

They apparantly already sought the advice of a finance guy and a lawyer to get their ducks in a row....

JAG331

Quote: Originally posted by nobie23 on Jan 30, 2007

my understanding is yes you can't cancel a pb ticket and if all pre-printed tickets are not sold;then the cashier or whoever is working that evening would have to buy those tickets not sold.

the unlucky cashier is crying all the way to the bank  Chair

Yes, it's a good thing that Mr. Wilson bought those tickets.  The poor cashier, maybe the Wilson's will give him or her a big tip.

This had the potential to turn into a volatile situation between the store owner and the cashier.  Who claims the unsold winning ticket?

x1kosmic's avatarx1kosmic

I wouldn't think, that any Printed Ticket, could go "un-sold".    Either the store owner, or the cashier, would have to buy those tickets. Are they allowed to "Win"?  I don't know.               And let's say, they are allowed to win?  Mortgage the Store, Print out a Gazzillion Qick-Picks, and hope for the best?   RiskyMad

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by x1kosmic on Jan 30, 2007

I wouldn't think, that any Printed Ticket, could go "un-sold".    Either the store owner, or the cashier, would have to buy those tickets. Are they allowed to "Win"?  I don't know.               And let's say, they are allowed to win?  Mortgage the Store, Print out a Gazzillion Qick-Picks, and hope for the best?   RiskyMad

Printed tickets are not "unsold".  If the store prints a ticket and then does not sell it or cancel it prior to the drawing, the store pays for the cost of the ticket, less their commission.

The way most state lotteries operate is that the store maintains a bank account that the lottery can directly withdraw from (usually nightly), and the store maintains enough money in the account to reconcile their ticket sales. 

JAG331

I guess unsold is a confusing term.  Perhaps "unbought" is better?  Of course the ticket is valid since it was printed, but can you imagine a clerk and a store owner arguing over a winning ticket that no one bought?

Surge's avatarSurge

That's so awesome!  Good for them!  I'm sure their sons who lost their jobs are greatful.

x1kosmic's avatarx1kosmic

I see what you're getting at,   Let's say the store owner and the clerk settled their dispute, Are either one of them allowed to "Win"?   Kinda tricky.    And if the answer is No,  They would almost have to "give" ala "sell" the ticket to,  mabey Grandpa, who just so happened to pop in at the store, exactly on the dot, 1 hour before the drawing.  Don't get me wrong......I'm very One Million times Happy for them.   Just kinda makes you wonder if something funny happened.      I can't say exactly what I'd do if I worked at a store and after the drawing........Well, you know the rest.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by JAG331 on Jan 30, 2007

I guess unsold is a confusing term.  Perhaps "unbought" is better?  Of course the ticket is valid since it was printed, but can you imagine a clerk and a store owner arguing over a winning ticket that no one bought?

Why would there be an argument between a store owner and a clerk that works for him.  Everything in the store that's paid for by the store owner belongs to him until it's sold to a customer.  That's as foolish as a store clerk thinking he owns a piece of the winning tickets he sells or the rewards the store gets for him selling them.  Working in a store doesn't make a clerk part-owner.

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Congrats! I bet their sons are more excited than they are, not to mention any grandchildren. This is proof that you don't need to buy a lot of tickets in order to win, because usually, only one does. If it's meant to be, it will be.

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Quote: Originally posted by Tarzan on Jan 29, 2007

I don't know if it holds true for every state, but in SC powerball tickets can't be cancelled.If you say you want PB,then you buy em!

I live in NY, but I play powerball in CT, and nearly everytime I've played, I've bought pre-printed tickets.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

"Jim Wison has the option of receiving the $254 million in 30 payments over 29 years, or..."

LOL! I don't see that happening. Unless he plans on going until 113.

JAG331

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jan 30, 2007

Why would there be an argument between a store owner and a clerk that works for him.  Everything in the store that's paid for by the store owner belongs to him until it's sold to a customer.  That's as foolish as a store clerk thinking he owns a piece of the winning tickets he sells or the rewards the store gets for him selling them.  Working in a store doesn't make a clerk part-owner.

I was thinking that the store clerk might realize that the ticket is a winner and lay sole claim to it, without telling the manager.

Pick3forSC's avatarPick3forSC

Quote: Originally posted by Tarzan on Jan 29, 2007

That is correct, you cant cancel them in & S.C. but i remember when S.C. first started selling PB, I would go in stores & hear people just ask for PB, Q-pixs & think they were automatically getting the Power Play option w/o asking for it. I also saw alot of them stick the store with the tix. too, because they did'nt know the difference between the actual game "Powerball" & "Powerplay"  TRUE STORY-- I was in a store & a man asked for $10 in QP & the lady printed them for him & he asked why it did'nt say powerplay on it? She told him that powerplay was an additional $1 per each play, thus the same ticket would've been $20. He told her to do whatever with the original $10 worth he'd bought & give him $10 worth QP's with the powerplay,...lol.   This is really what the lady told him... she said " you give me the $10 you alreday owe me for the first tix. or i'll shoot you before you get out the door"  I guess she had seen more confused new players than she wanted to that day.  I bought me $10 worth with the powerplay, & made sure she understood what i wanted & i have never bought another ticket of any kind from that store..lol.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by JAG331 on Jan 30, 2007

I was thinking that the store clerk might realize that the ticket is a winner and lay sole claim to it, without telling the manager.

Chances are the clerk wouldn't know the ticket was a winner until after the drawing and the cost of the ticket had been charged to the store.  At that point it belongs to the store unless the clerk put the cost of the ticket into the cash register and recorded it as a purchase.

golotto

Congratulations to the Wilsons. 

This time a last minute Quick-Pick came through. Next time, a large jackpot could very well be hit by a person's own picks that they've been playing for years

... just as Powerball did on May 28, 2005.

dingo's avatardingo

It's a good news for his family.  One ticket! That's all it take to win.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story