Sex offender wins $14 million Florida Lotto jackpot

Feb 1, 2007, 12:34 am (48 comments)

Florida Lottery

Life has taken a startling turn for Edward R. Cowal.

Florida lottery officials announced Monday that Cowal, who is a state registered sex offender, was the sole winner of the $14 million lottery drawing from Jan. 13.

Cowal, whose name is on an eight-page record from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, elected to take a lump sum settlement of nearly $8 million before taxes. He purchased the ticket at the Cumberland Farms Store in Jensen Beach.

Cowal couldn't be reached for comment, and telephone service to his residence — a one-bedroom home in Windmill Village, a mobile home community on Hutchinson Island — has been disconnected.

Attorney James "Mac" Stuckey, of Stuart, picked up Cowal's winning check. Cowal assigned the money to the Quantum Trust, which he established to handle the funds.

Stuckey said Cowal asked him to be his representative because he wants "absolute confidentiality" and does not want to be bothered by people. Stuckey said he could not comment on any FDLE records for Cowal.

FDLE records show Cowal is a registered sex offender and has a record of arrests for alleged offenses beginning in 1993, ranging from burglary, lewd and lascivious or indecent assault upon a child, trespass, aggravated assault, driving under the influence, probation violation and high-speed fleeing from law enforcement. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison between 1993 and 2000.

Records show Cowal lived in the Windmill Village Recreation Center, which is a Jensen Beach mailing address though it's just north of the Martin-St. Lucie County line.

The mobile home has been on the market for sale at $120,000 for at least the past 30 days. Brokers at the Keyes Co. office in Jensen Beach could not comment on Cowal but were excited about the announcement.

"When we heard where the winning ticket had been sold," said Angelo Campo a broker-associate, "we almost had a heart attack. We have been buying our tickets at that store for years."

Workers at the Cumberland Farms Store, which will receive $25,000 for selling the winning ticket, said they had not been told who had won the ticket Monday afternoon. When told Cowal's name, several said they couldn't recall him.

Cowal is the 869th winner of a major jackpot since 1988, according to Florida lottery officials.

Stuart News

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

s5thomps's avatars5thomps

I guess that you never know when your number is going to come up. I hope that my ship comes in on Saturday.  I hope that he uses the money to turn his life around, Maybe pay some restituion to the victims.Thud

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I guess this is one reason the lottery doesn't want to honor anonymity.  Okay, he's a free man and bought the winning ticket, so he deserves to collect his prize.  Like many others, I bought tickets for that game. I agree, s5thomps, that it would be nice if he turns his life around and maybe he will. But if he is really a sexual deviant, money won't change that compulsion. It will only give him more power and opportunity to commit these acts.  He'll probably be taking a lot of vacations in Thailand. 

Strange world we live in.  Florida has its priorities all mixed up. While this convicted sex offender was collecting his millions, a 21 yr old college student was brutally assaulted and raped on the way to her car. She called the Tampa police for help and was later arrested and thrown in jail instead of getting treatment and counseling and denied medication.  Why?  The system showed she had an outstanding warrant because she failed to pay restitution for a juvenile offense, although it might be a clerical error. In the meantime this 21 year old premed student sat in jail after being violated the same day a sex offender collected $8 million dollars.  Maybe I'm the only one who finds this revolting. 

s5thomps's avatars5thomps

It just doesn't seem fair Just Exploring!!!!, I agree with you 100%, But you noticed how he had his attorney establish a trust to claim the winnings. He his protecting himself so he won't be sued for some of his money by the victims. But if had any kind of decency to him he should at least compenstate the people that he violated. It would never make amends for the damage he has done but at least it would show that he cared, But with Mr. Cowal claiming the winnings the way he did and disconnecting his phone and putting his trailer up for sale, I am sure he could care less about reaching out to the victims. It will interesting to see how this all plays out over time. As quickly as he won the money, It could all be gone within a couple years. We know all the horror stories of lottery winners going broke within 5 years.

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Feb 1, 2007

I guess this is one reason the lottery doesn't want to honor anonymity.  Okay, he's a free man and bought the winning ticket, so he deserves to collect his prize.  Like many others, I bought tickets for that game. I agree, s5thomps, that it would be nice if he turns his life around and maybe he will. But if he is really a sexual deviant, money won't change that compulsion. It will only give him more power and opportunity to commit these acts.  He'll probably be taking a lot of vacations in Thailand. 

Strange world we live in.  Florida has its priorities all mixed up. While this convicted sex offender was collecting his millions, a 21 yr old college student was brutally assaulted and raped on the way to her car. She called the Tampa police for help and was later arrested and thrown in jail instead of getting treatment and counseling and denied medication.  Why?  The system showed she had an outstanding warrant because she failed to pay restitution for a juvenile offense, although it might be a clerical error. In the meantime this 21 year old premed student sat in jail after being violated the same day a sex offender collected $8 million dollars.  Maybe I'm the only one who finds this revolting. 

I'm with ya...      Thud

JAG331

Maybe this isn't very PC....but we all take our chances on the lottery.  He bought a ticket and his number came up.  End of story.  Not good, not bad, not karma, not lack of karma.  It just is what is.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

It never seem fair to some people when someone else wins a lottery jackpot whether they are good or bad people especially if they are not giving any of it away.

BevsPicks's avatarBevsPicks

A very famous man once said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

duckman's avatarduckman

Real justice would be if those he has harmed could still file a multi-million dollar civil lawsuit against him for damages (physical and emotional). Now that he has assets, it should be payback time for those he preyed on...

stavros's avatarstavros

Quote: Originally posted by BevsPicks on Feb 1, 2007

Amen, Sister!

SirMetro's avatarSirMetro

I guess now...he can afford to buy a small island...hire a team of lawyers and get away with doing as he pleases to innocent children.

Sorry...but I believe the only penalty for sexually assualting a child should be the death penalty. Anything less is a crime towards humanity.

Hummm...wonder how many alligators he could feed...at least that would benefit the enviroment.

Oh...and for those bleeding hearts out there...anyone bother to ask the innocent child he sexually assualted if she (or he) have healed from such a viscious and heartless attack?

Better yet...where are those vulture lawyers? Perhaps they should open up a civil damages case against him on behalf of the child and take the money away from him just like he stole the innocence from that poor child.

Oh well...just my ramblings...sorry folks...take care and try to have a decent day.

Sir Metro

emilyg's avataremilyg

Quote: Originally posted by SirMetro on Feb 1, 2007

I guess now...he can afford to buy a small island...hire a team of lawyers and get away with doing as he pleases to innocent children.

Sorry...but I believe the only penalty for sexually assualting a child should be the death penalty. Anything less is a crime towards humanity.

Hummm...wonder how many alligators he could feed...at least that would benefit the enviroment.

Oh...and for those bleeding hearts out there...anyone bother to ask the innocent child he sexually assualted if she (or he) have healed from such a viscious and heartless attack?

Better yet...where are those vulture lawyers? Perhaps they should open up a civil damages case against him on behalf of the child and take the money away from him just like he stole the innocence from that poor child.

Oh well...just my ramblings...sorry folks...take care and try to have a decent day.

Sir Metro

I'm with you on this Sir Metro.

Quote: Originally posted by BevsPicks on Feb 1, 2007

First of all, RJOh, I never said life was fair or not fair. Fair is only a term that applies in baseball. I started my post by saying he won fair and square by playing the lottery and having the winning ticket. No argument about that, JAG331. The game is random and doesn't choose the winner by his or her past achievements or failures, thank goodness.  We also do not know what this man's crimes really were. Some states label a person as sex offender if he's caught peeing in public, although he has a long rap sheet which includes lewd and lascivious behavior with a minor and assault on a minor. I know few people who have that on their records.  Oops - Come to think of it, I don't know ANYONE who has that on their record.

Bev - c'mon!!  I am definitely not without sin.  But my sins didn't assault, rape or torture anyone, especially a child.  But let's forget about the lottery for a second.  Are you saying that we should "turn the other cheek" (as long as we're quoting the Bible here) when it comes to sex offenders?  Most of the time, the little girls and boys who were molested and/or murdered are repeat offenders and have been doing it for many years. Most of the time it's discovered they have more than 100 victims before they are imprisoned.  The young boy who was kidnapped a few weeks ago in Missouri was taken by a man who had previously taken another boy and kept him for 4 years. I can't even imagine what that young boy went through and yet people are actually questioning why he didn't try to run away.  Duh?  Blame the victim?  He was 11 and kidnapped and probably sodomized and told he would be killed if he escaped. Who knows what this sick piece of garbage did to him?

The man who tortured and raped little Jessica Lunsford (John Couey) had been arrested in the past but "served his time" and did not register as a sex offender.  He moved across the street from a family with a precious little 9 year old girl, kidnapped her when she was sleeping and put her in a closet for several days, sexually abusing her until he decided to get rid of her (as his confession says..which was thrown out of court!!)  She was found in a shallow grave clinging to her Teddy Bear, which she had been sleeping with when he kidnapped her from her bed!  He put her in a large plastic trash bag and buried her ALIVE with her Teddy Bear. YES - I WANT TO THROW AS MANY STONES AT THIS MAN AS I CAN FIND. 

BevsPicks's avatarBevsPicks

Justxploring, I understand your anger. However, there are no Big wrongs or Little wrongs. Wrong is wrong.  I've never been in trouble with the law.  But I am not perfect like some people.  But my point is this I am in no position to condemn this man or anyone else.  And getting upset isn't going to change a thing or deter anyone from "their" bad behavior.  If someone threw a rock at you for every mean thing that you said, did, or thought in regards to someone else would you survive? 

My other point is this: As long as this man is not out committing more crimes against nature and people why can't folks just leave him alone?  Let the justice system do their jobs.  But as I said before getting your self all upset over something such is this really isn't worth it. Is it?

But if throwing rocks is your thing. Please go right ahead.  I just hope and pray that no one will ever have to throw one at you or anyone else for that matter.

One more thing...I'm not condoning what he did. And I do feel for the child's family but know that what goes around comes around.  He will get his just deserts.

cv844's avatarcv844

I Agree!

BevPicks, I was talking about throwing rocks at John Couey.  I don't know what the lottery winner did or did not do.  I don't trust the media, but if he hurt a child he doesn't deserve to be free to go out and do it again.

I am not "upset" but comments like the one below indicate to me that it is fruitless to continue this discussion.

"As long as this man is not out committing more crimes against nature and people why can't folks just leave him alone?  Let the justice system do their jobs."

Again, I have no idea what the lottery winner in the article really did. However, if he sexually assaulted a child, he will do it again.  How many more children does he have to hurt while we "just leave him alone?"  The system is obviously not doing its job.  By the way, I've had plenty of rocks thrown at me.  Sometimes people throw rocks at you because of the way you think or the way you look.  Sometimes it's because you are Black or because you are Gay..or maybe you're just a little odd. That's being judgmental and it is wrong. But there is no comparison between what was said in the Bible about a woman considered to be an adulterer and a sex offender. I hate it when people randomly quote scripture when it suits them. I rarely refer to the Bible to make my point, but as long as we're bringing God & religion into it, why not quote the statement Jesus made about hurting innocent children? "But who so shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

Again, I'm not trying to have the last word, but if I committed a sex crime against an innocent child, I would expect to pay my dues. Please do not compare me with a sex offender no more than you would a serial killer. 

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on Feb 1, 2007

Real justice would be if those he has harmed could still file a multi-million dollar civil lawsuit against him for damages (physical and emotional). Now that he has assets, it should be payback time for those he preyed on...

Duckman, it's happened. So maybe the victims of his crimes can sue him, although I don't think money will ever change their emotional trauma.  Here's a great example (for Bev) of how the justice system is doing such a bang up job putting perverts away.  This goes back to 2001 from the Associated Press.

LOTTERY WINNINGS TO GO TO MOLESTED GIRL
CLAYTON (MISSOURI):
A man who won a $ 2.7 million lottery was ordered to give almost all of it to a girl he molested when she was six. The girl, now a teenager, still suffers mentally and emotionally from the 1992 assault, one of her attorneys said on Thursday. Thomas Bisso, 51, pleaded guilty to sodomy in 1994 and spent 120 days in prison. AP

Sodomy on a 6 year old girl?  120 days in prison?  Huh?

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Hmm, perhaps he could be made to have a sex change operation, have to pay for it himself, (through the nose), and get to live out the rest of his life in some hell hole where women aren't regarded to highly. 

The whole things smacks of "where's the justice", going back to Justxploring's post about the girl who was violated being arrested while this guy wins.

Where indeed is the justice? 

BazookaJoe

"Simple Man"THE CHARLIE DANIELS BAND

As far as I'm concerned there ain't no excuse
For the raping and the killing and the child abuse
And I've got a way to put an end to all that mess

Just take them rascals out in the swamp
Put 'em on their knees and tie 'em to a stump
Let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest

emilyg's avataremilyg

Quote: Originally posted by BazookaJoe on Feb 1, 2007

"Simple Man"THE CHARLIE DANIELS BAND

As far as I'm concerned there ain't no excuse
For the raping and the killing and the child abuse
And I've got a way to put an end to all that mess

Just take them rascals out in the swamp
Put 'em on their knees and tie 'em to a stump
Let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest

yep!!!  or i can perform a very special sex change on this pervert.

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

anybody who harms children sexually or otherwise should be punished severely.no excuse for people going around messing with small kids who have no capacity to even understand whats going on.i think they should have a zero tolerance law against these sick individuals.this molesting stuff ain't a "mistake" its very bad.

cps10's avatarcps10

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on Feb 1, 2007

Again, probably not the most popular sentiment here, but unless the victims were awarded a cash award outside the "debt to society" that he has paid in jail, then they can't got after ANYTHING that he has made since he has been let out of prison. He could offer some money to the victims, and it would be a nice gesture, but he doesn't have to and shouldn't feel guilty about it (not giving them money).

cps10's avatarcps10

Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOMIKE on Feb 1, 2007

anybody who harms children sexually or otherwise should be punished severely.no excuse for people going around messing with small kids who have no capacity to even understand whats going on.i think they should have a zero tolerance law against these sick individuals.this molesting stuff ain't a "mistake" its very bad.

I agree Mike, he is or was very sick. However, he is not required to pay any of that money to the victims, you see what I'm saying? He got punished for his crime, served his time, got out, got lucky with a lottery ticket, and won. The crimes and the lottery win are completely unrelated.

Quote: Originally posted by cps10 on Feb 1, 2007

Again, probably not the most popular sentiment here, but unless the victims were awarded a cash award outside the "debt to society" that he has paid in jail, then they can't got after ANYTHING that he has made since he has been let out of prison. He could offer some money to the victims, and it would be a nice gesture, but he doesn't have to and shouldn't feel guilty about it (not giving them money).

As I've said over and over, we don't know exactly what this man did.  However, if you go back to the first page of this post and look at one of my comments, there was a case in Missouri where the lottery winner had to pay restitution to his victim.  So this is not as black & white as you claim.

I can't get into the "feeling guilty" comment because I'll break my teeth from grinding them.  We're not talking about stealing a car here.  We're talking about violating a person. 

cps10's avatarcps10

Granted, the Justice System did not give him a harsh enough sentence...I mean this is a sick crime...however, it is what it is...he was freed and got lucky...that also is what it is...is bad for the victims' families, but the guy probably isn't legally obligated to paying them anything...although he probably should be morally obligated.

cps10's avatarcps10

As I've said over and over, we don't know exactly what this man did.  However, if you go back to the first page of this post and look at one of my comments, there was a case in Missouri where the lottery winner had to pay restitution to his victim.  So this is not as black & white as you claim.

I can't get into the "feeling guilty" comment because I'll break my teeth from grinding them.  We're not talking about stealing a car here.  We're talking about violating a person. 

I am interested to see how this shakes down, because the guy is a sick bastard for what he did. But I get the feeling they are going to let him get out of there without paying monetary restitution. Listen to me...lol...I've been watching too much Michael Baldwin on the Young & The Restless...

I am interested to see how this shakes down, because the guy is a sick bastard for what he did. But I get the feeling they are going to let him get out of there without paying monetary restitution. Listen to me...lol...I've been watching too much Michael Baldwin on the Young & The Restless...

I live in Florida.  This is an article in my local paper.  I'm not making excuses for this idiot, and he certainly has led a life of crime, but he isn't the child rapist/murderer that Couey or many of the others are. I just don't understand why he keeps getting such light sentences.  I guess our jails are too crowded (with 21 year old rape victims)   Exposing oneself to children is sick, but he could have been high on drugs.  Again, no excuses. But I haven't read anything here that says he physically harmed anyone. I thought the other article said he assaulted a child.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070131/NEWS/70131049/1075

cps10's avatarcps10

I live in Florida.  This is an article in my local paper.  I'm not making excuses for this idiot, and he certainly has led a life of crime, but he isn't the child rapist/murderer that Couey or many of the others are. I just don't understand why he keeps getting such light sentences.  I guess our jails are too crowded (with 21 year old rape victims)   Exposing oneself to children is sick, but he could have been high on drugs.  Again, no excuses. But I haven't read anything here that says he physically harmed anyone. I thought the other article said he assaulted a child.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070131/NEWS/70131049/1075

Interesting read, thank you for that. Sounds like he is getting a rougher label than as might be the case...I believe he will be off the hook, unless he owes the state money.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

I agree in part to JustExploring. THe ticket was won based on the criterea set forth in that lottery state. Be the claiment a former convict or not.

The Laws for *Civil* cases allot only 7 years to go after a CONVICTED sex offender for pain and suffering. This guy committed various crimes dating back to 1993. His lastest could have been the speeding ticket or disrupting the peace for all anyone knows ! The point is, without reading the court papers, getting the facts, its not appropriate to assume he is still acting under old behaviors. Gosh knows as humans we have no choice but to change through out our lifes. Ask yourself if your the same person you were 14 years ago?

I really would like to beleive this guy paid for his sins and in the mist of these years has found a life that is more socially acceptable in behavior.

BobP's avatarBobP

Like the OJ case after the criminal trial the vicitim or their family can sue in civil court for damages.  The fact the guy was found guilty makes it easier to win if time to file hasn't run out.  BobP

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Further proof that there is no rhyme or reason in life, and acts of kindness are not always rewarded...maybe never. I am not one to believe in coincidences, but sometimes you have to wonder. Maybe everything is random afterall. Either way, at least now he will have a huge mansion for all the kids to come and sleep over at. He can continue where Michael Jackson left off, and also get sued for a few million as well.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

I agree Mike, he is or was very sick. However, he is not required to pay any of that money to the victims, you see what I'm saying? He got punished for his crime, served his time, got out, got lucky with a lottery ticket, and won. The crimes and the lottery win are completely unrelated.

As far as we know he's not required to pay anything to his "victims" but that's only because they haven't won a lawsuit yet. The statute of limitations on lawsuits is typically 3 years, but for a minor whose parents don't initiate a lawsuit they have 3 years from the time they  turn 18. as BobP notes, the criminal prosecution is a completely different matter.

I put victims in quotes because we don't reallly know what happened. Since the incident happened at a beach he may simply have been seen scratching himself while he was changing in his front seat. As justexploring says, you can get labeled a sex offender for getting caught taking a leak. I don't remember if he got labeled a sex offender (probably not, because it was about 20 years ago), but somebody I once worked with was seen by a couple of kids while taking a leak behind a gas station with an out of order bathroom.He was definitely charged with  indecent exposure and lewd behavior.

Littlemanjen

Shame on all of you for assuming how bad this guy was after reading the article. Sirbrad, your comments disgust me. Yes, I have didain for these sex offenders on innocent children, but labelling him before you know the facts behind it is simply astounding. You guys need to take a step back and look yourselves in the mirror. Compare him to Michael Jackson.........sheesh!

Quote: Originally posted by emilyg on Feb 1, 2007

yep!!!  or i can perform a very special sex change on this pervert.

My goodness Ms. Emily...I would have never assumed your thoughts could become this wicked...hopefully though...you would perform the procedure without anesthesia.

Quote: Originally posted by Littlemanjen on Feb 2, 2007

Shame on all of you for assuming how bad this guy was after reading the article. Sirbrad, your comments disgust me. Yes, I have didain for these sex offenders on innocent children, but labelling him before you know the facts behind it is simply astounding. You guys need to take a step back and look yourselves in the mirror. Compare him to Michael Jackson.........sheesh!

The man I see looking at me in the mirror would first of all, make sure that NO child under any condition whatsoever is harmed emotionally, physically or mentally by any action I commit.

The law has labeled this individual as a "sex offender", not those of us who blindly condemn him. If the truth becomes that he is as innocent as a case that occurred here in GA a few years ago, then I do offer up my apologies. In GA a few years ago, a young man was tried and found guilty of rape. The truth turns out that he was caught having sex with his girl friend by his girl friend's parents. The Girlfriend's parents forced the local DA to charge him with rape because he was 16 (or 17) and she was 15 (or 16, I think GA, consent is 17, not sure). He will have to live the rest of his life with the title of "sex offender".

Perhaps we do not know the facts. But until such is presented, as a "sex offender" as defined and labeled by the Laws of our States and Country, I seriously doubt you will find anyone who will offer up an apology for their opinion. And like noses, we all have one and they all smell.

emilyg's avataremilyg

FDLE records show Cowal is a registered sex offender and has a record of arrests for alleged offenses  - lascivious or indecent assault upon a child, trespass, aggravated assault, driving under the influence, running from law enforcement.

sir metro - i'm with you.

Quote: Originally posted by emilyg on Feb 2, 2007

FDLE records show Cowal is a registered sex offender and has a record of arrests for alleged offenses  - lascivious or indecent assault upon a child, trespass, aggravated assault, driving under the influence, running from law enforcement.

sir metro - i'm with you.

Yup, he is definitely a low life, but the indecent assault was exposing himself and there were adults present.  Obviously we aren't getting the whole story.  I read a report that doesn't show any actual contact. I'm not defending this man and I agree with Sir Metro's attitude. I'd like all of the maggots who harm innocent people exterminated.  Even if this man didn't commit a sex crime, he can just as easily murder a child while driving drunk.  However, he won the lottery fair and square.

On the other hand, there needs to be a change in the sex offender laws. Although in most cases they should be much more severe, there really should be a difference between someone who takes a leak in public, moons a family on the highway, and a monster who rapes a little boy or girl. 

(I just deleted a long story about going parking with my boyfriend when I was 15.  I figure I've taken up enough room here, although it was a night I'll never forget.)

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Feb 2, 2007

Yup, he is definitely a low life, but the indecent assault was exposing himself and there were adults present.  Obviously we aren't getting the whole story.  I read a report that doesn't show any actual contact. I'm not defending this man and I agree with Sir Metro's attitude. I'd like all of the maggots who harm innocent people exterminated.  Even if this man didn't commit a sex crime, he can just as easily murder a child while driving drunk.  However, he won the lottery fair and square.

On the other hand, there needs to be a change in the sex offender laws. Although in most cases they should be much more severe, there really should be a difference between someone who takes a leak in public, moons a family on the highway, and a monster who rapes a little boy or girl. 

(I just deleted a long story about going parking with my boyfriend when I was 15.  I figure I've taken up enough room here, although it was a night I'll never forget.)

SEX........sell's

we see it in the MEDIA everyday!!!

but........shut-up<<<<<<<<<<

"DON't..GO TO CHURCH "

sit on your asset$$$

"Little People"........

JesterConeheadHatRazzTrollPukeBat      Bat    Bat

Oops!  That came out wrong.  I'll never forget it because we got stuck in the mud and had to be towed. 

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Feb 2, 2007

Oops!  That came out wrong.  I'll never forget it because we got stuck in the mud and had to be towed. 

Bat

thank you...sister for YOYO own

"TESTICALMOMENT">>>

YOU are NOW a full FLEGE member of DE...............CHURCH of

what's happens

Bat              NEXT     Bat

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

What should disgust you is the press who released it, not the opinions responding to it. Regardless of the facts involved, it is nonetheless still a "sex offender." Unless you're saying that is a lie too? Well if it is he will benefit heavily from lawsuits as well, so it is win/win anyway. My opinion is based on the story, and assuming it is true. However I don't know this guy, nor will I ever meet him in real life.

So in reality I really could not care less. What disgusts me is you attitude which is far too serious.

Littlemanjen

Sorry to ruffle your feathers Brad...like you stated, ASSUMING is the key word here. You know what the word ass-u-me means? I wish every true sex offender would be put away for life and shown real sex offense from the boys in prison once they found out what they were in for. I'm serious because of exactly what happened in GA that was mentioned in this thread. My point is that no one should assume.

Quote: Originally posted by Littlemanjen on Feb 3, 2007

Sorry to ruffle your feathers Brad...like you stated, ASSUMING is the key word here. You know what the word ass-u-me means? I wish every true sex offender would be put away for life and shown real sex offense from the boys in prison once they found out what they were in for. I'm serious because of exactly what happened in GA that was mentioned in this thread. My point is that no one should assume.

Life is about assumptions. I don't care how you want to phrase it, present it, gift wrap it or spin it. Life is nothing more then a series of assumptions.

You go to bed at night and you naturally assume you will get up.

You go out to dinner and you naturally assume the food will be safe to eat.

You drive down the road and within a point of reason, you assume others on the road will obey the laws of the road.

My very job is nothing more then pure assumption. I assume that what I see will fit within the space exactly as how an Engineer designed it. I assume what the Engineer designed well actually function as intended. I assume that the product manufactured will be installed for the monies I estimate.

There are no facts in life, merely pointers to guide us every day in life to aide us in making the best assumption we can. Sure, we can dress it up and call it what you please, but all said and done, it is nothing more then an assumption that perhaps this time, we could just be right. The day we stop making assumptions, shall be the second date one reads upon our epitaph.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Hopefully stories like this will encourage more good and upstanding citizens to buy lottery tickets making the chances of someone with bad and low morales winning less likely.  In addition lotteries could do more to limit the type of people allowed to  buy tickets by requiring a criminal back ground check before taking their money.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Feb 3, 2007

Hopefully stories like this will encourage more good and upstanding citizens to buy lottery tickets making the chances of someone with bad and low morales winning less likely.  In addition lotteries could do more to limit the type of people allowed to  buy tickets by requiring a criminal back ground check before taking their money.

Yikes!  I'm not so sure I would want those kinds of restrictions.  I have no criminal record, but why would I want anyone to be keeping track of how many lottery tickets I buy or where or when? Anyone can play the lottery who is over 18.  In Florida many people from other countries buy tickets. Anyone can claim their prize as long as they have the proper documents. I'm sure many illegals or people with criminal records buy them too. I wonder what would happen to the FL lottery if everyone had to register. I bet the jackpots would drop. I don't think people on welfare or who use food stamps should be spending their money on the lottery, but they all want a chance at the same dream, so they often do. These people might shy away from a lottery that checks their spending habits.  More rules, more government, more invasion into our personal lives....not something I'd welcome.

hypersoniq's avatarhypersoniq

The bottom line is that he paid his debt to society...

As such, that part shouldn't have been mentioned. That is wreckless endangerment by the media.

Blame society for not extracting a higher debt. In my personal opinion, anyone who attacks a child, a senior citizen, or anone in a defenseless position should not be allowed back into the general public. But I don't make the rules. 23 months should have been 23 years... or more. The child won't get their innocence back, the offender shouldn't get their freedom back.

BUT, society was ok with 23 months and set him free. As a parent, I am disgusted, but as a lottery player, I still think it's wreckless to release winner's identities. My "record" is limited to one speeding ticket at age 17.. If I win, will the headline read "Leadfoot wins powerball"?

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Use to be when a crime was reported concerning someone who had served their country in Viet Nam, it was also mentioned that they were a veteran of Viet Nam.  I don't see that much any more because either those guys got too old for anyone to care or the new Iraq vets took their place. 

I think the media just like to add those extra facts to a story to attract more interest.  Jack Whitaker personal problems attracted a lot of national coverage that would have otherwise gone unnoticed had he not won the largest single lottery jackpot on record.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Feb 4, 2007

Use to be when a crime was reported concerning someone who had served their country in Viet Nam, it was also mentioned that they were a veteran of Viet Nam.  I don't see that much any more because either those guys got too old for anyone to care or the new Iraq vets took their place. 

I think the media just like to add those extra facts to a story to attract more interest.  Jack Whitaker personal problems attracted a lot of national coverage that would have otherwise gone unnoticed had he not won the largest single lottery jackpot on record.

I Agree!   I agree.  Sort of like that wild astronaut story.  Both Letterman and Leno were talking about her in their monologues tonight.  If she was just a "housewife" it probably wouldn't have made the news at all.   Being a sex offender is a very serious crime (if in fact he is one) but I don't think this man would have gotten this kind of headline 10 years ago.  If I were he, I'd do my best to get lost and lead a quiet life.  I hope he uses this good fortune to clean up his life. If he is a pervert, I hope he drives off a cliff before he gets the chance to touch another child.

pumpi76

giving the number of sex offenders on the population my question is: "What are the odds"..What are the odds that a sex offeder would win the lottery...Cases like this make me think sometimes that the lottery is corrupted which is not but it makes you wonder sometimes...

"More important than winning the state's lottery is the movie "Red Planet.."..."

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story