$267 MILLION: Mega Millions lottery jackpot soars

Feb 28, 2007, 1:03 pm (33 comments)

Mega Millions

The Mega Millions lottery drawing produced no jackpot winner last night, sending Friday's jackpot to the highest level in a year.

One year ago today, the Mega Millions jackpot of $267 million, which was later re-calculated to $270 million, was won by one Ohio lottery ticket, and was later redeemed by an anonymous winner.

The Mega Millions jackpot has not reached this high since that day.

The multi-state lottery game had a top prize of $216 million up for grabs in last night's drawing, but no one managed to buy a ticket with all six winning numbers.  As a result, the jackpot for Friday's game has risen to $267 million.

Eighteen ticket buyers came close, by matching five of the six winning numbers; each of those tickets is worth $250,000.  Three of the second-prize tickets that were sold in California are worth $234,401 apiece, since California does not use the same lower-prize payouts as the other Mega Millions states.

The winning numbers were: 18, 31, 44, 45 and 48. The Mega Ball was 18.

The Texas Megaplier was 3.

The nation's other multi-state lottery, Powerball, has a $90 million jackpot tonight.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

DoubleDown

We are headed for the new record if she rolls a couple more times.......

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Once again the Nation is struck with Lottery Fever...

And the Only Cure is to Match the 5 White Balls & 1 Mega Ball!

weshar75's avatarweshar75

Someone with a QP after they have gotten gas, a gallon of milk and some Red Hots will hit the big one.-weshar75

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

I thought someone would surely win Tuesday, so good luck to everyone! I wonder what it must really feel like to realize you have the winning ticket? I think I'd teach myself how to do a backflip!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

If I win,I'll be heading for Toledo and looking up attorney Mark Mockensturm to form the RJ of Oh Blind Trust, sounds like he had some experience with these kinds of situations.

LckyLary

1. How come Texas has Megaplier and we don't?

2. If the #s happen to come out the same as a year ago, look for about 1000 jackpot winners. Repeats on other jackpot type games are not without precedent but usually produce small shares.

3. The 18 bonus ball had not come out in a VERY long time. That set of numbers and that bonus ball were very difficult to systemize.

4. I THOUGHT THE JACKPOT FEVER THING WAS IN THE PAST???????

cajunken

Hyper Good luck to all!

Just6ntlc

I hope MM continues to roll. If it does, it'll set a new MM jackpot record. Congratulations to 2nd prize winners.

mangeydog

Damn! Then we wouldn't get to see your Oh face.

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Flying up to New York today. I usually purchase a few tickets in Georgia when the jackpot gets high but this will be my first time buying one in NY.

My husband thinks I'm wasting money which I clearly agree but I would rather be in the game even though it's a long shot than observing.

Most would already consider me a gambler as I invest in the financial markets(educated gambling)Smiley

dumars798's avatardumars798

I'm buying 1 ticket..a dollar and a

dream!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

This may be the time to use my 46 lines, guaranteed $2 win system.  I call it....$44 and a dream....or giving up nearly a tank of gas for a dream.....or just $44 worth of fun and foolishness.

spy153's avatarspy153

RJOH, I would say you are definitley in the run for it with seven jackpot winners coming from your state. SEVEN!!!! But, be sure it is a quick pick that you just happened to pick up at some off the road gas station and you dont care enough to check the ticket for months after the drawing.

JAG331

Also, RJOh, make sure you buy from the Cleveland Triangle, or whatever it's called.  Euclid Heights, Shaker Heights...what is it, three or four MM jackpot winners in the last couple of years from that area?

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Yes, if and when I win, I will be like Brad Duke...I'll come forward and claim it myself.  Well, I might decline to appear on the morning talk shows, but even if I subsequently decided to appear on them, I would view it as being no different than Bill Gates or Warren Buffett making a public appearance...everybody knows that they are loaded with cash...and everybody knows that they aren't going to get a "personal" loan from them either.   Same thing would apply with me.  But I am happy for all winners...both anonymous and known...and I look forward to managing and investing the $158,645,259 pre-tax cash value jackpot.  I'll personally fuel a stock market boom and economic development in select areas.

Kylottoplayer

Good luck to everyone who plays!  As a saying I saw goes "The feeling you get when you win the lottery---priceless!!

ochoop17

Maybe some one from the LP will win the MEGA $$$$$

Maybe You or maybe Me!!!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Thanks for the advice spy and JAG.

I like to pick my own numbers so I never play QPs and I live in mid-Ohio about seventy miles south of that Cleveland Triangle so I won't be buying any tickets there either.  Last month there was a MM 5+0 winner at the Mansfield Meijer store so there's a winners triangle close by.  Good luck if you play, I'm still just dreaming.

Bradly_60's avatarBradly_60

Well I believe all we need is two more rolls to make it to $400 million.  Sales have been actually quite good for the amount the jackpot is at.  I am assuming they will be selling about $100 million in tickets for tonight's drawing.  The next jackpot should be around $330 million and if it rolls again on Tuesday over $400 million for the first time.  It is a long shot but could happen.  These dollars are a fun investment to dream about.  Hopefully one of our dreams will come true!

B-rad

fxsterling

I've got a Geogia win on my mind      but it may-be IL or texas

spy153's avatarspy153

Quote: Originally posted by fxsterling on Mar 2, 2007

I've got a Geogia win on my mind      but it may-be IL or texas

two other typical states to win mega millions. My guess is it boils down to those three for the big win. Ohio, Texas or IL.   Hey, the records speak for themselves.

tony2222

very exiting as far as lottery goes. I got my two tickets at the lil peach where I always buy lottery. small states have just the same chances as the big onces i am betting massachusetts will hit this time

We all stand a better chance of being hit by a meteor than winning the MM jackpot but it's always nice to have a chance.

It would be nice if someone on this forum were to win...I would be just as happy to win $250,000 Doh

DoubleDown

I'll take the meteor if it has the winning numbers attached and I have the ticket !!!

Someone will win eventually and they had the same odds as we do...

Good luck to all !!!

...DD

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Mar 2, 2007

We all stand a better chance of being hit by a meteor than winning the MM jackpot but it's always nice to have a chance.

It would be nice if someone on this forum were to win...I would be just as happy to win $250,000 Doh

It  might be nice if someone on this forum won but they aren't family.  It would be nicer if someone in my family won and that someone was me.

Kylottoplayer

Well lady luck struck no one last night, now up to $340,000,000.00!!!  Good luck players.

Righty*O's avatarRighty*O

Quote: Originally posted by Kylottoplayer on Mar 3, 2007

Well lady luck struck no one last night, now up to $340,000,000.00!!!  Good luck players.

I haven't even won it yet and already I am hyperventilating.ROFL

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Quote: Originally posted by Kylottoplayer on Mar 3, 2007

It's about time!!!

EricinMD

Wow...at least $340 million on Tuesday!  Probably more than that... a record?  My office (in VA) had a pool and we had 147 tickets in last night's drawing.  For the first time we had the mega ball plus three numbers for $150.  I think we will reinvest since that only is a small amount fo each person.  

I looked up the odds on our winning combo....one in 13,781!  And that gets you $150!  What a game MegaMillions is!  Still you never know...

I live in MD, work in VA...i think i will buy some tickets today!  Good luck to all!Smiley 

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Mar 1, 2007

This may be the time to use my 46 lines, guaranteed $2 win system.  I call it....$44 and a dream....or giving up nearly a tank of gas for a dream.....or just $44 worth of fun and foolishness.

Well, I used my 46 lines, guaranteed $2 win system and it worked, I won $2.  Looks like Tuesday may be even a better time to try it (again). 

dingo's avatardingo

Nice try.

I have no system. Quick Pick is the way to go.  

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Mar 2, 2007

"I would be just as happy to win $250,000"

I'm glad to hear that. If you hit 5+1 and I hit  5+0 I guess we can just trade tickets.

Wishful thinkingWink

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story