$370 MILLION: Mega Millions sets all-time lottery jackpot record

Mar 6, 2007, 12:21 pm (58 comments)

Mega Millions

The Mega Millions Jackpot has broken an all-time, worldwide record. It now stands at $370 million and tickets are selling at an amazing rate.

New Jersey officials report Mega Millions tickets are selling in that state at a rate of 700,000 tickets per hour, and that won't even match what they expect during "rush hour." Officials say early evening is when they sell the most tickets, and that's when they expect to hit 1.2 million ticket sales per hour. Sales close at all locations at 10:45 pm.

The results will be shown at www.usamega.com minutes after the drawing takes place.

The jackpot is so huge that tonight's drawing has been moved from Atlanta to Times Square. New York Lottery diva Yolanda Vega will be on hand to draw the winning numbers for the historic prize.

The odds of winning the jackpot are about 1 in 176 million. But there are also secondary prizes, starting from $2 on up. The odds there are about 1 in 40 — which means, of course, you still could parlay your winning back into more tickets in case nobody wins the jackpot Tuesday.

The previous record-holder was Powerball, at $365 million on February 18, 2006, which was claimed by 8 meat plant workers in Nebraska.

Other significant records: in 2002, three winners shared a Mega Millions jackpot of $331 million. Powerball has the record for the largest single winner with $314.9 million won on Christmas Day.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

Seraphim 712

The only thing I hope for is when the person who will be blessed with this astronomical amount of money will be smart and use good judgement when handling it. I say this because I notice when the jackpot gets this big and someone wins, their fortune always seem to end up in turmoil.

Good Luck to Everyone who plays tonight!!!Smile

Todd's avatarTodd

Aw, come on, I hope I win it so I can go spend a lot of money! Big Grin

Bradly_60's avatarBradly_60

Well at least we beat the record out right now....we always had it with the cash option but now MM is the ruler once again!

There is no way no one is going to win tonight.  I will be very suprised it only 1 ticket matches all the numbers.

B-rad

JAG331

If I win, I will have to hop into my car and drive around, screaming, just so that no one hears me and thinks there's a crime being committed!

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by Bradly_60 on Mar 6, 2007

Well at least we beat the record out right now....we always had it with the cash option but now MM is the ruler once again!

There is no way no one is going to win tonight.  I will be very suprised it only 1 ticket matches all the numbers.

B-rad

I can see the headlines now:

370 Quick Pick Tickets Matched All 6 Numbers on Last Nights MegaMillions Drawing! LOL!

Well I just did the math and they are selling about $150,000,000 worth of tickets for this drawing.  I believe that might be a record in itself but the May 2000 draw might have actually sold more.  So I highly doubt someone is not going to win this drawing and if by a very slim chance no one does it will be amazing to see the next jackpot numbers.

B-rad

Editgap

Multiple Winners!!!

I wasn't gonna get on board but the talked about it on Today's show. I thought I better do something.

Since I got my tickets over the internet, maybe after I come out of jail I will enjoy the money.

gocart1's avatargocart1

hey todd.if i win i'll buy you a new vet......

JAG331

You know they have to be lowballing the estimate.  How embarrassing would that be..."Well, we thought we had snatched the record from PB, but the jackpot was really $362 million, so we didn't even beat the Big Game."

Dare I mention it....when the dust settles, could tonight reach the $400,000,000 level??? 

CA LotteryGuy

Quote: Originally posted by Bradly_60 on Mar 6, 2007

Well I just did the math and they are selling about $150,000,000 worth of tickets for this drawing.  I believe that might be a record in itself but the May 2000 draw might have actually sold more.  So I highly doubt someone is not going to win this drawing and if by a very slim chance no one does it will be amazing to see the next jackpot numbers.

B-rad

Bradly_60...my figures show if the jackpot stays at $370 million in ticket sales will be at $173.4 million for this drawing.  Either way that is a lot of tickets.

Anywhere on the net where you can find sales for the May 2000 draw?

Odds are now if favor (i.e. greater then 50%) that someome will win on this draw.

spy153's avatarspy153

I think there will have to be a recalculation on the lump sum after the draw. Oh, lets call it a hunch.

DoubleDown

Multiple JP winners for sure.

At least 3 is my prediction.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by JAG331 on Mar 6, 2007

You know they have to be lowballing the estimate.  How embarrassing would that be..."Well, we thought we had snatched the record from PB, but the jackpot was really $362 million, so we didn't even beat the Big Game."

Dare I mention it....when the dust settles, could tonight reach the $400,000,000 level??? 

I'm sure they're still lowballing the estimate by a bit, but I'm guessing sales will come pretty close to whatever their real estimate is. They may not have much data for sales at this level, but they have an enormous amount of data on buying patterns over the time between drawings. That data tells them that over the long term n% of tickets are sold from 6AM  until noon the day afetr a roll,  n2% are sold from noon to 6PM , n3% are sold from 6PM until midnight, and so on.

When they made their first estimate of 340 they knew they were being conservative and they did it based on an estimate of overall sales for the  whole 4 day period. Whatever time somebody started working on the most recent estimate, they already knew how many tickets were sold in the first  85% of the total sales period. By modeling the current estimate on the pattern of previous sales they're probably going to come very close. How conservative they were is probably a bigger factor than how close the real estimate will be. I'd guess it will finish off close to 375, with a reasonable chance of hitting 380.

The only way it will hit 400 is if an enormous number of peolpe who virtually never buy tickets  and haven't shown up in previosu data stop on the way home from work to buy tickets. Assuming the real estimate is 375, boosting it to 400 would require selling almost 50 million more tickets.

Probability almost certainly suggest a single winner for tonight.  The uncertainty is in how many combinations aren't picked randomly. Fewer random picks favors a roll. Unless sales do push it quite a bit higher multiple winners is less likely than a roll.

JAG331

We will see.  Before noon, it wasn't the largest jackpot in North American history.  New lottery pools are being formed left and right this afternoon at workplaces.

This is fun!

JAG331

Lottery fever has officially hit Connecticut.  That's all the talk around the office, and I've heard several people asking about the closest stores in NY that won't have lines.

Well I found the amount of tickets sold in the May 9, 2000 draw it was:

$195,576,985

So we might not reach it with this one but this is definetly helping out the states complaining of low MM sales.

B-rad

JodyC522's avatarJodyC522

I called my brother in NC and told him, if you are near VA...go and get some.

CCHS13's avatarCCHS13

Yeah someone is going to win tonight, and there should be multiple winners with the amount of

tickets being sold.  And you heard it here first New York will have a winner.  The stage is set!

Powerball is still a better game.  Lets remember how the jackpot got this high in the first place

NOBODY HAS BEEN WINNING!  So to those of you that have fell for the MM scheme, wake up

They will go down as having the largest jackpot in lottery history so does that mean that MM

is the hardest game to win.  If you are a lottery player how does a game that no one can seem to

win excite you?  I'd play a game that someone wins once a month with a 12 million dollar 

jackpot.  This enormous jackpot is better for the game than it is for the players 

JAG331

Ack.  Mega Millions is about the dream.  We're not mortgaging our houses/lives to buy tickets.  For me, it's $10 (price of a drink in NYC) and a chance to dream about a life that's completely, unimaginably  different than the one I currently live.

cps10's avatarcps10

I totally agree with JAG...I know that I will not win, but it's worth a few bucks just for the unimaginable to maybe come true.

CCHS13's avatarCCHS13

How dumb is a jackpot close to 400 million and the second place prize is 250,000

unless ofcourse you live in California   BS

nrlightfoot

By my estimate, which only factored in taxes on the jackpot, once the lump sum hit 202 million buying a ticket was an even money wager (on average you would make as much money as you lose) as long as you were the only winner if you did win. Not exactly a practical way to make money, but it's interesting to know.

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Quote: Originally posted by CCHS13 on Mar 6, 2007

How dumb is a jackpot close to 400 million and the second place prize is 250,000

unless ofcourse you live in California   BS

I agree, when it gets this big, the 2nd prize should be bigger, although I guarantee that there will be a very high number of 2nd prize winners and possibly 2 or more 1st prize winners. Mega Millions has been in a slump the last year, so this excitement is a breath of fresh air. People want large jackpots, odds have nothing to do with anything once jackpots grow past a certain point.
MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Lottery fever has officially hit Connecticut.  That's all the talk around the office, and I've heard several people asking about the closest stores in NY that won't have lines.

Powerball isn't doing so bad either. And as far as lines go, I have never stood on line waiting for a lotto ticket in NY. You can play almost everywhere, so I wouldn't worry.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Mar 6, 2007

Thanks, I might take you up on that!

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Has anyone here actually bought any tickets online? I am just skeptical on how it worksWhat?

pigsNtrees's avatarpigsNtrees

In the words of Han Solo "Never tell me the odds!". I'm in it for the dream, for the little lift it gives me, for the place I can rest my heart and mind after a hard day, it gives me something to look forward to at the end of every Fri and Tue. Just think for the price of a coke I can win a million dollars.

JADELottery's avatarJADELottery

It's going to roll for Friday's drawing.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Mar 6, 2007

Has anyone here actually bought any tickets online? I am just skeptical on how it worksWhat?

It's a good idea to be skeptical because there are a lot of scams out there.  I've tried to highlight reputable sites here of Lottery Post.  If you use the search feature you'll find a lot of discussion regarding this topic.

I've also spent a lot of time detailing sites that are complete rip offs.  Like thelotter, lottery universe, My Lotto, etc.  It's better to burn your money than two spend it on one of those websites because at least if you burn your money you have the benefit of the heat.

The answers will not come quickly.  Dedicate some time to go through past posts looking at the discussions around this topic.  You have to be comfortable with any place where you're spending your money online, or if not then just play your in-state games.

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

I just read the FAQ on the online lottery site and it states that they do not provide any type of copy of the ticket to the purchaser.

I don't think they even tell you what numbers you have and they keep the ticket in their possession. I don't believe they have had a jackpot winner yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they just closed up shop and run off with the winner.

Also if you win a smaller amount, they will cash your ticket and keep the proceeds in your online account to be used towards future purchases.

I think I'll pass up on this deal and just hope the MM rolls over. With the way tickets are selling, I am pretty sure someone will win tonight...it definitely won't be me as I didn't have a chance to get a ticket Unhappy

tony2222

there will be definitly over 10 jackpot winners and all from the same state. I only bought one ticket and I am feeling very lucky already.

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Quote: Originally posted by tony2222 on Mar 6, 2007

there will be definitly over 10 jackpot winners and all from the same state. I only bought one ticket and I am feeling very lucky already.

I would rather see the money go to someone who bought one $1 ticket than someone who bought $100 worth. If you can afford to spend that much on the lottery, you really don't need to win. Reality will change for 1 or more people tonight, that's for sure. It just seems so easy...6 numbers. Whenever I look at the winning numbers and realize I haven't matched any, I always think about how easy it could have been to just pick those. Either way, someone is sitting out there right now dreaming about how crazy it would be to win and what they'd do if they won, only to realize that they are the one who was struck by lightning. I'm holding my metal umbrella up high tonight!!!

Sun Smiley

Righty*O's avatarRighty*O

Quote: Originally posted by pigsNtrees on Mar 6, 2007

In the words of Han Solo "Never tell me the odds!". I'm in it for the dream, for the little lift it gives me, for the place I can rest my heart and mind after a hard day, it gives me something to look forward to at the end of every Fri and Tue. Just think for the price of a coke I can win a million dollars.

Just think of all the Cokes you could by then!!!

pwise125

1.2 million tickets per hour in one state alone [NJ] is stagering to the imagination!! Crazy When it's big [over 100M] I always hope there WILL be multiple winners, so more than one person's life changes! And YES I still would feel that way even if I were one of the lucky winners! I would not at all mind sharing $370M with say 9 other people!! Hyper SO GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY DREAMS TO THOSE OTHER 9!!

DoubleDown

One thing is for sure........

SOMEONE'S life will change tomorrow......

cps10's avatarcps10

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Mar 6, 2007

Thanks, I might take you up on that!

If I win, Todd, I will buy you TWO Vettes....

cps10's avatarcps10

Quote: Originally posted by DoubleDown on Mar 6, 2007

One thing is for sure........

SOMEONE'S life will change tomorrow......

This is very true, DD. And to think, I bought a ticket in Savannah on Saturday. We were on a cruise ship and I forgot to buy for two drawings last Tuesday, so I missed last Friday's drawing. Boy was I glad to see $340 million on the billboards when I got into Georgia Sat. night!

DoubleDown

Good luck, neighbor !!!

cps10's avatarcps10

Same to you DD...if I win, we are gonna have a helluva party down on River Street and have Paula stuff my belly full of her good food on Congress Street!

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Good luck to all Lottery Post members who have MM tickets! I could not see the long drive to get tickets myself.

JAG331

Best of luck to all!

I just returned from the store.  One of those 2x2 foot convenience store/closets at the gas station...line wasn't too bad, only 4 or 5 people...then again, I've never seen another person buying tickets there before.  Put down $8....including $1 on a quickpick, which I never do!

C'mon Yolanda...bring it.

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Best of luck to all!

I just returned from the store.  One of those 2x2 foot convenience store/closets at the gas station...line wasn't too bad, only 4 or 5 people...then again, I've never seen another person buying tickets there before.  Put down $8....including $1 on a quickpick, which I never do!

C'mon Yolanda...bring it.

My 1st instinct was to ask why you didn't just get $10 even, but ya know what, it only takes $1 and a dream. But you said it...bring it on Yolanda!!!Banana

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

To all those silly posters who stated "If I win I will buy Todd a vet" Why would Todd want a purchased animal doctor? golly dats just silly!

"To win" doesn't  affirm the grandprize (JACKPOT), it simply is a winning ticket, of maybe two dollars or seven dollars in winnings.

Clarification in promises is so important.

I'm impressed by some of the statistics I am reading here today. Thank you to those who posted such.  I truly want to win the JACKPOT tonight , and then be like Elmer Fudd and be Berry berry 'twiet!

cps10's avatarcps10

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Mar 6, 2007

To all those silly posters who stated "If I win I will buy Todd a vet" Why would Todd want a purchased animal doctor? golly dats just silly!

"To win" doesn't  affirm the grandprize (JACKPOT), it simply is a winning ticket, of maybe two dollars or seven dollars in winnings.

Clarification in promises is so important.

I'm impressed by some of the statistics I am reading here today. Thank you to those who posted such.  I truly want to win the JACKPOT tonight , and then be like Elmer Fudd and be Berry berry 'twiet!

You got me there...LOL...if I WIN THE JACKPOT, I will buy Todd two Vettes...lol Thank you GG!

Todd's avatarTodd

Aw, now gee, I was hoping you wouldn't catch that! LOL

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by cps10 on Mar 6, 2007

Same to you DD...if I win, we are gonna have a helluva party down on River Street and have Paula stuff my belly full of her good food on Congress Street!

Heck yeah, CPS..

Just for the fun of it, lets have a throw down on River Street Saturday the 17th.. ain't nothin else goin on that day ...LOL

We can blend in and no one will even notice LOL...

Paula : Heck, we can go knock on her door and have her cater our little party....

Good luck, amigo...

DoubleDown

Hold em to it Todd....

2 branny new corvettes...........comin right up...........

lovebeta

Actually if you do some math, you will know that even given the sales of $176m this time, there is still about 1/e=37% chance that no one hit the magical numbers. humm... let's see.

Kidzmom's avatarKidzmom

I would LOVE to see it roll past $400 Million!    However I think someone will hit tonight.  I predict it will be a lottery pool someplace.   I mean people buying $200 worth of tickets at a time will be a 20 person lottery pool.

tg636

Over $150 million after taxes if you take the cash. With the money you invest always making more money, which is then reinvested to make even more money. It would be pretty mindblowing.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Mar 6, 2007

HEY>>>>>>>>>HAY>>>>>>>>WHEyyyyyyyyyyyy.............TOOD!!!!

BOUGHT an ole 66 today>>>>>WHE 'nnnnnnnnnn.............THODD!!

IF.......................if I WIN...........WILL  deliver it in your front YARD!!!

@ the expense of PSYKOMO$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

the color is white,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,,interior is black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?????????????????????????????.......................................................

NOT PSYKOMO's BEST>>>>>>> color's............BUT, .........................

JUST WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will deliver the ....'66 VETT$$$$$$$ 

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on Mar 6, 2007

HEY>>>>>>>>>HAY>>>>>>>>WHEyyyyyyyyyyyy.............TOOD!!!!

BOUGHT an ole 66 today>>>>>WHE 'nnnnnnnnnn.............THODD!!

IF.......................if I WIN...........WILL  deliver it in your front YARD!!!

@ the expense of PSYKOMO$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

the color is white,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,,interior is black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?????????????????????????????.......................................................

NOT PSYKOMO's BEST>>>>>>> color's............BUT, .........................

JUST WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will deliver the ....'66 VETT$$$$$$$ 

Wow, a 66?  That must be wicked.  Do you have any others?

ladygirl99's avatarladygirl99

Big Smile :rofl: I hear ya I would too lol. Hopefully I won't pass out lol

LckyLary

If I win: 1. You'll know about it (after this site calmed down). 2. I'll give whoever wants it whatever system I used. 3. I'll take a "sick day" tomorrow (only) so I could get over this cold so on Fri. 16th I'd go do my Press Conference. (keeping them guessing for a week or so would be a riot! i.e. I'd wander by the store a few times and then suddenly cross the street to Dunkin' Donuts.) I'd be afraid to cash it in this week because that howling wind could yank the ticket away from me. 4. I'd consider upgrading from Expert to Gold or Platinum level. Where will I go first? Well there's this gentlemen's club called the Satin Dolls aka the Bada Bing. I wouldn't be going there, it would be the Dunkin' Donuts because everyone will be expecting me to buy them donuts like when I win the Pickit.

One thing of course I would want my church to get that steeple finally put up!

Kjelstad

I read one where the small print said the largest payable prize was one million. 

Oh this was a reply to Jill I think.  I thought i had quoted her about the online lottery ticket sales.

Ticket$cratcher

Hello everyone

I'm posting for the first time...after picking myself up off the floor from boo-hooing b/c I didn't win . Someone posted earlier about New York being the place where jackpots go to die. I agree. I'm happy for the winners...but truth be known....I wanted to win s.o.m.e.t.h.i.n.g.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Truly Todd, you would have had them on that one! And evidence from this site of their written word.

But if ever I do win the megamillions jackpot sole winner claimant ticket,.......

I promise....

To mention this site :)

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Wow, a 66?  That must be wicked.  Do you have any others?

THANKssssssssssTo>>>>>>>>>>>>>UUUUUU>>>>>>>>>>TODD

& all posters who KEEP the LOTTERY POST informed^^^^^^^^^

on what's HAPPEN'G in the  LOTTERY WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, a 66...........yes, donot have another now,.............................

wicked.................yes,.........................................BUT, not that BAD!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BUT, &&&&&& their 

is ALWAYssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssah BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!

I was at the body shop all day of the MM draw, and to my suprise

no one at the body shop had gotten..........LOTTO FEVER or MANIA!

PSYKOMO ended the HUNT with a total......3-hard picks & 2-QP'ss!

MUST admit.......3-hard picks....score (2) WB's.....QP'ss score (00)! 

MABY I>>>shuda>>>woulda>>>coulda>>>>CONSENTRATED>>>

on........................................................................MEGA MILLION$$$

CONGRAA$$$$$

NJ........................GA

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story