Powerball offers 10X multiplier this month

Apr 2, 2007, 5:40 pm (21 comments)

Powerball

Powerball players who purchase the Power Play feature will have a chance to multiply their prizes by 10 during the "Power Play 10X" promotion running in April.

During the month of April, that means a $200,000 second-prize winning ticket could multiply into $2 million — if the player purchased Power Play for the winning ticket.

For an additional $1, Power Play normally gives Powerball players the opportunity to multiply their non-jackpot prizes two, three, four or five times. A Power Play wheel, spun just before the Powerball drawing, determines the multiplier for the night.

During the Power Play 10X promotion, one of the "five" slots will be replaced by a "10." If the 10 comes up on the wheel, non-jackpot prizes for that drawing will be multiplied 10X for players who purchased the Power Play feature.

The Power Play 10X promotion begins with the Wednesday, April 4, Powerball drawing and runs through Saturday, April 28.  If the 10X multiplier is not selected during that time, the promotion will continue until it is hit.

The Power Play 10X promotion is offered in every state Powerball tickets are sold.  Players must request the extra $1.00 Power Play option be added to their Powerball ticket when purchasing their lottery ticket.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

dphillips's avatardphillips

This is a splendid promotional idea!  Nevertheless, I think the 10x feature should be on-going, every month.  With this feature, perhaps more players would be willing to take the plunge by sinking that extra dollar toward POWERBALL.

Finally, the powers-that-be might come to the conclusion  the players want a chance to win, and they will give them the chance.  People who are only reluctant to play when the POWERBALL is $100 million or more -- might avail themselves with this prospective monthly 10x feature.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Makes the incentive to power up better with the jackpot reset. You have a good payout if ya hit the grandprize as you do being 2nd tier winner.

My small office pool is powering up dispite our bad streak lately of not hitting or breaking even. Maybe this will be our payback multiplied by ten!  

Good luck and good pays to all players! 

DoubleDown

I'm ready...

I will be making the pilgrimage to SC this week with some advance play in mind....

Last year the 10x paid off for me- it turned a $7 win into a $70 win...

Good luck !!

tnlotto1's avatartnlotto1

Quote: Originally posted by dphillips on Apr 2, 2007

This is a splendid promotional idea!  Nevertheless, I think the 10x feature should be on-going, every month.  With this feature, perhaps more players would be willing to take the plunge by sinking that extra dollar toward POWERBALL.

Finally, the powers-that-be might come to the conclusion  the players want a chance to win, and they will give them the chance.  People who are only reluctant to play when the POWERBALL is $100 million or more -- might avail themselves with this prospective monthly 10x feature.

i agree it should be every month/drawing and they are worried about it falling every time but the 5 doesnt fall everytime so im sure the 10 wont fall everytime but when it does id like to have the powerball right that drawing with a powerplay

stephi's avatarstephi

I wish it was every month also.

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

Quote: Originally posted by stephi on Apr 3, 2007

I wish it was every month also.

I Agree!

x1kosmic's avatarx1kosmic

Last year...... for the whole month (March)   it only fell once.

So......

x1kosmic's avatarx1kosmic

Don't get me wrong .....I'm In!

LuckyLilly's avatarLuckyLilly

Maybe this is the month to step up our play a bit.  You think they'd make the 10X permanent if it resulted in increased sales this month?  I just won $100 in a sweeps, maybe I'll use that to buy PB's with the PP this month.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

For the usual powerplay structure the expected payout is 3.5 times the base prize. By swapping a 5x for a 10X the expected payout goes up to 4.125 times the base prize. That means they can expect to  pay out an extra 17.8% in prize money, and if it doesn't increase sales of powerplay enough they'll be losing money compared to the usual powerplay. If the previous try had increased sales by almost enough, I expect they would have tried again much sooner. I'd guess that they're simply hoping that  some of the people who decide to try powerplay because of the  chance for a higher payout will continue when the  payout drops again, and it's unlikely that they'll consider keeping it.

This time they'll keep the feature untli it hits at least once, even if that means going beyond the planned date.

CA LotteryGuy

I am not in a Powerball state, so I am unfamilar with the nuances of Powerball, especially Powerplay.  The question I have is about the current 10X multiplier promotion.  For each multiplier there are 4 different chances for each number from 2 through 5, a total of 16 slots for the ball to drop in.  If I understand correctly, for this 10X promotion they took one of the 5x numbers and made it a 10X.  To make it more interesting they should have swapped out a 2X instead of a 5X, granted this could cost them more, but it might just drive more play.

rdc137

It would be more interesting if they used another ball machine to pick the multiplier. Instead of the current wheel (which I don't really find interesting), pull a blue ball, one each of 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, and the 10x.

starchild_45's avatarstarchild_45

count me in!!!! i am going to idaho and i am going to get me a multidraw powerplay ticket. yes sir i am going to do that. woohoo.

JimmySand9

Overall payout is 53% during the 10x promotion, but obviously, only if you do the Power Play.

JimmySand9

Quote: Originally posted by rdc137 on Apr 3, 2007

It would be more interesting if they used another ball machine to pick the multiplier. Instead of the current wheel (which I don't really find interesting), pull a blue ball, one each of 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, and the 10x.

Not a bad idea. It would probably be more random that way.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

I wonder if they get a drop in PowerPlay around tax time and this is a way to compensate the drop?

LckyLary

I played ahead a few Powerplay, just a few because the jackpot reset.

Just so you know.. speaking of Powerball.  there is a 20/20 show Friday (tomorrow) night about the one & only J.W.

Kylottoplayer

Thanks for letting us know about the 20/20 show.  It was very sad what he allowed all that money to do to his family.  Didn't know his beloved granddaughter died.

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

Quote: Originally posted by wizeguy on Apr 4, 2007

I wonder if they get a drop in PowerPlay around tax time and this is a way to compensate the drop?

i wondered the same thing

Just6ntlc

I hope the 10X helps people win prizes.

tnlotto1's avatartnlotto1

Quote: Originally posted by Just6ntlc on Apr 8, 2007

I hope the 10X helps people win prizes.

i won $12 last night so if they draw the 10x i will win $30 next time.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story