Mom finds $10, buys $1M lottery ticket

May 21, 2007, 9:44 am (18 comments)

Ohio Lottery

Cashier at ohio gas station with 9 maxed out credit cards gets very lucky

Kristina Schneider tried to persuade a customer at the BP station where she works to buy the last ticket on a roll of the Magnificent Millions lottery game.

"I always joke that the last ticket is the winning one, but he said he only had enough money for three tickets," Schneider said.

This time, her advice was no joke.

The single mother — with nine maxed out credit cards and $8,500 in debt for her associate's degree — then bought what turned out to a $1 million winning ticket with a $10 bill she found in the store Friday.

"I thought someone was playing a trick on me" when she found the sawbuck, she said.

After showing a customer that she did indeed have a winning ticket, she locked the store while she took a moment to be sick in the bathroom.

"I was numb. I still am," she said.

Schneider, 32, opted to take 20 yearly payments of $50,000, or $34,500 after taxes.

"If I'd have taken a lump sum, I'd be broke again within five years," she said.

AP

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

"Just luv this lottery tale"

What are the odds>>>>??????????????????????????????????????

You are in Vegas,...........spent all your money on all the wrong #'s

and broke, like U don't have enough money<<<<<< for a saugage and bisket, like U are really>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hungry!!!!!!!!!

THEN................U L@@K-DOWN and U see a SAWBUCK on GROUND!

THEN................U STICK all the money in the SLOT's......and  U  WIN

"$1 million bucks"

LOL>>>>>>>>$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

and broke, like U don't have enough money<<<<< for a saugage and bisket, like U are really>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hungry!!!!!!!!!

"$1 million bucks"

lmatlaw

I love it. Even though I'd opt for the lump sum, she at least knew her weakness for spending. In her case she was smart to take to  take the annuity payout.

stavros's avatarstavros

What a great story!  I wish her the best of luck in learning new money management skills.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

It seems to me with 9 bad credit cards she will with in a year be asking for the rest of the money..The lottery will make a deal and give people a buy out if they need all the money at once and she seems like a good candidate for mthat with her spending habits..I wish her luck..

noahproblem

"It seems to me with 9 bad credit cards she will with in a year be asking for the rest of the money.."

Sadly, I Agree!, but hopefully we'll both be proven wrong.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Firstly lets clarify that maxing out ones credit cards doesnt make THEM bad credit cards. She extended her finances beyond her means. 

Ive walked in this ladies shoes and I can assure anyone here that when you been down that low, you really do come out of it valueing and respecting the dollar more.  She has children and will learn to budget accordingly.  She did welll to chose the annuity payout. 

Im not a fan of a store employee buying tickets whilst on the job, its like a bartender drinking the liquor whilst serving his customers.  Just something not right about it. 

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on May 21, 2007

and broke, like U don't have enough money<<<<<< for a saugage and bisket, like U are really>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hungry!!!!!!!!!

"$1 million bucks"

"think POSTIVE"

(credit CARD's")

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

LOZZZZZZER'$$$

Party>>>>>GULL'so! O!O

Blackie

Just wondering if the store owner will claim the 10 dollars was found on his/her property and try to say it was his/her money that bought the ticket.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I can't understand why

(a)  She told people she found the $10 that she bought the tickets with and

(b)  She told a reporter she had 9 credit cards she "maxed out" 

I agree with GameGrl that there is nothing indicating she has bad credit or doesn't pay her bills, just that she is a single Mom with lots of expenses.  I just don't understand why that became news.  In FL they run your credit, but I'm pretty sure they're only interested in past due fines, taxes, child support and judgments in the state.  What outstanding loans a person has, as long as they aren't criminal, are nobody's business.

Just6ntlc

So lucky. Congratulations to the woman who got lucky. I hope she doesn't have financial problems later in life.

irondoor827

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on May 22, 2007

I can't understand why

(a)  She told people she found the $10 that she bought the tickets with and

(b)  She told a reporter she had 9 credit cards she "maxed out" 

I agree with GameGrl that there is nothing indicating she has bad credit or doesn't pay her bills, just that she is a single Mom with lots of expenses.  I just don't understand why that became news.  In FL they run your credit, but I'm pretty sure they're only interested in past due fines, taxes, child support and judgments in the state.  What outstanding loans a person has, as long as they aren't criminal, are nobody's business.

justxploring....you  always  give  good  logical  viewpoints  and opinions...

I  aggree  with  all  you  said ... but  what I saw in  this  strory was  a  very  sweet  person  with  no  guile  or  evil  in  her  heart  and  thought more  of  others  than  herself....She  was  broke  and  had  no  money .......yet  after  finding  $10.00-she  asked  if "anyone  lost  some  money " then  in her  own  good  nature  while  during  her job  she  trys  to  give  away the  winning  ticket  to  a  customer ,  who  always  bought  his  $10.00  instant  tickets  from  her  (  like  it  was  customer appreciation  day) when  he  declines  she  goes in  her  pocket  and  spends  the  only  money  she  had  -with  kids  at  home  yet .....  had  tons  of  her  own  finical  bills -YET  SHE  THOUGHT  OF  OTHERS  BEFORE  HERSELF...thats  a  mark  of  a  Saint  she  should  get  more  than  a  million shes  my  kind  of  person;Blue Angel

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

One lucky lady.  Heaven is on her side. I think an angel placed that 10 dollar bill there.

Party

Cr4zyH0rs3

I heard about that lady, what a coinsadence she found $10 bought the last lottery ticket with the it; at the store she worked at  on her day off.

Sounds to good to be TRUE if you catch my drift. Why would you be at your place were you work on your day off?!

Anyways Good Luck to her.

LuckyLilly's avatarLuckyLilly

Quote: Originally posted by Cr4zyH0rs3 on May 30, 2007

I heard about that lady, what a coinsadence she found $10 bought the last lottery ticket with the it; at the store she worked at  on her day off.

Sounds to good to be TRUE if you catch my drift. Why would you be at your place were you work on your day off?!

Anyways Good Luck to her.

I catch your drift.  lol  But I was at the c-store I normally buy lottery tickets at today, and the clerk I normally buy them from was standing on the wrong side of the counter in civilian clothes, playing scratch offs.  Guess some people actually LIKE where they work.  lol

emilyg's avataremilyg

Quote: Originally posted by LuckyLilly on May 30, 2007

I catch your drift.  lol  But I was at the c-store I normally buy lottery tickets at today, and the clerk I normally buy them from was standing on the wrong side of the counter in civilian clothes, playing scratch offs.  Guess some people actually LIKE where they work.  lol

same at the store where i buy tickets. 

Cr4zyH0rs3

If you see people like that at the store it's called ticket counting and here it is illegal to ticket count, whether you work there or not. Also for some one to be strep for $$$ and you found $10 I highly doubt it you would spend it on a ticket.

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

It would have been better if she didn't mention that she found the $10 inside the store.  She should have said it was her money and she felt lucky so she bought the ticket. end of story. 

Party 

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story