Maryland Mega winner believes in magic

Sep 3, 2007, 7:24 am (64 comments)

Mega Millions

Two months ago, when a tarot card told Ellwood "Bunky" Bartlett that he should slow down and focus on his spirituality, Bartlett let out an exasperated yelp. The only way that was going to happen, he thought at the time, was if he won the lottery.

Yesterday, a day after he announced that he was one of four winners of a $330 million Mega Millions prize, Bartlett was back at the White Marsh New Age shop where the tarot cards foretold his future. Frustrated no longer, Bartlett says he now has the time he needs to contemplate life, as well as a few other matters.

"I've received one marriage proposal, there was one woman who wanted to sleep with me, and one person who wants me to adopt him," said the soon-to-be former accountant.

Lottery officials will meet with Bartlett tomorrow to confirm his winning ticket. He's not sure whether he wants to take the lump sum of $49 million or an annuity, which would pay him $3.7 million a year until 2032.

But Bartlett said he knows how at least some of the money will be spent: helping shop owners Lori and Mick Perdue expand Mystickal Voyage to include a holistic healing center and yoga studio. The store has been open for about a year and already expanded once with the addition of a coffee shop. It's there that Bartlett regularly hosts "dragon coffee klatches" and conducts Reiki treatments, a form of Japanese energy healing.

Yesterday, drinks were on Bartlett. Herbal teas, that is.

"We're just ecstatic. No one deserves this more than Bunky," said Mick Perdue.

Through the store, Lori Perdue said she has met thousands of fellow Pagans and others interested in alternative religion, from all walks of life. They say they're hoping the attention from the lottery win and improvements to Mystickal Voyage will help attract new customers and dispel misconceptions about Pagans.

"There's far more [people interested in the Pagan religion] than you think," said Lori Perdue. "Five times a week, we have customers come in who are in the 'figuring it out' mode, who are pulling away from how they were raised and seeking deeper meaning. We want people to feel comfortable and welcome."

Bartlett is a practitioner of Wicca, a nature-based religion of magic and witchcraft. There are an estimated 800,000 Neo-Pagans in the United States, the largest subset being Wiccans.

Bartlett calmly sipped a cup of iced tea yesterday morning as two reporters waited to interview him and Lori Perdue fielded calls from accountants and television stations trying to set up meetings. One customer wanted to know what all the commotion was about.

"Did you hear that someone in the area won the Mega Millions?" Mick Perdue asked. "That's him."

Bartlett raised his cup nonchalantly. "Wow! that's awesome — congratulations!" the customer said.

In the background, Bartlett's 18-year-old daughter, Ashley, hovered with a video camera. She takes television production courses, and her teacher asked her to produce a segment on the family's good fortune. She has already parlayed the winnings into a new car, though she said she hopes the family doesn't change.

"It's a lot to comprehend," she said, adding, "I don't want to turn into Nicole Ritchie or Paris Hilton."

The commotion later died down, and Bartlett settled in to lead his discussion group, which included one newcomer who said he was having trouble reconciling his beliefs with his Catholic upbringing. Bartlett didn't try to steer the man toward any particular religion, instead offering resources to help him find his own way.

"I can't stress this enough — get off the Internet and go to a li-brar-y!" he barked, his media-shy wife, Denise, seated next to him.

Inevitably, the conversation sometimes found its way back to that lottery ticket, though.

"I'm just going to live my life," he told the group, when asked how the money might change things. "I'm not going anywhere. Any other questions, nonlottery related?"

Baltimore Sun

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

great story.i'm happy for him and hope he spends wisely.

ochoop17

I've received one marriage proposal, there was one woman who wanted to sleep with me, and one person who wants me to adopt him," said the soon-to-be former accountant.

You know Why.......$$$$$$$

Badger's avatarBadger

Quote: Originally posted by ochoop17 on Sep 3, 2007

I've received one marriage proposal, there was one woman who wanted to sleep with me, and one person who wants me to adopt him," said the soon-to-be former accountant.

You know Why.......$$$$$$$

Aw gee, ya think?  Green laugh

The one word a big JP winner needs to learn to say is NO !

four4me

art.bunky.megamillions.ap.jpg

Ellwood "Bunky" Bartlett

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Quote: Originally posted by four4me on Sep 3, 2007

Ellwood "Bunky" Bartlett

"get off the Internet and go to a li-brar-y!" he barked 

Barked? 

Good luck to him.  I hope the wicca gods he made a deal with come forward so he doesn't have financial problems in the future.  Do they use brooms?  I guess you could call this winning the Sweepstakes. LOL  Wonder if he can handle it!  Oops!  I better be careful & use my spell check.

tnlotto1's avatartnlotto1

he seemed reallly happy in the CNN clip and he is an accountant so i doubt he will need alot of financial advice on what to do with the money. congratulations to him and his family on the huge win.

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

Ellwood "Bunky" Bartlett

catduck it's o.k. bunkie..

rundown99's avatarrundown99

Maryland lottery winners can remain anonymous.......... Did he know that????

Quote: Originally posted by rundown99 on Sep 3, 2007

Maryland lottery winners can remain anonymous.......... Did he know that????

thats a good question rundown99 but he got a new car and has been proposed to already so he may be one of the winners who enjoys the spotlight and wants as much attention as possible for himself and for his religion.

Uncle Jim

He's already come forward so the rest of you feel free to chime in with me:

...WE HOPE HE TAKES THE CASH OPTION AND WE HOPE HE DOESN'T HAVE PROBLEMS LATER IN HIS LIFE..

OK...I'll probably burn for this but I gotta say it...this guy already looks like a train wreck waiting to happen! 

1. He lives in a state that allows anonimity and he's already gone public?  It had to be him or someone close to him that called the press because the drawing was Friday and the Lottery offices are closed so they couldn't have made the announcement.

2. The drawing was Friday and this is Monday...he hasn't been to the Lottery offices yet, let alone collect his money and he's already bought a new car? 

3. He's making public promises to help fund his friend's business?

Oh well it's his life.

But I couldn't help thinking:

Hey!  It's Bunky!  The Bunkmeister!  Winning the Lotto!  Fighting off the babes!  The Bunkster!  Holding a press conference!  At the Coffee House!  With his Bunkbuddies!  Buying coffee!  Making promises!  It's a Bunk-O-Rama!  He's buying a Bunkmobile!  He's out Bunking around!  Going to a Bunkapalooza!  Funky Bunky!  Living the High Life!  

All I can say is...good luck dude!

Jim

delS

Uncle Jim-

You won't burn for this.  Everyone here knows you are speaking a truth - this makes absolutely no sense to put yourself out there like this.  Oh yeah right, he can handle the new world of wealth he is exposed to because he is an accountant.  Yeah get a life. 

I am from Maryland and I appreciate that this is a state where you can claim your pize anonymously. 

Those who have played for years and seen the good, the bad, and the indifferent in winners and losers.  A marriage proposal, a new car offered, everyone and their mamma are going to be gunning for him and he'll have no peace. 

I wish him well and the other new minted millionaires from Powerball and Mega Millionaires. 

NightTrain1234's avatarNightTrain1234

<<"I can't stress this enough — get off the Internet and go to a li-brar-y!" he barked, his media-shy wife, Denise, seated next to him.<<

I wonder what his wife thinks about him being so public about this and before he has even had his ticket verified?

As far as his advice, frankly there is a lot more good/bad information out there on the internet than in a library about a wide variety of subjects.

four4me

Quote: Originally posted by delS on Sep 3, 2007

Uncle Jim-

You won't burn for this.  Everyone here knows you are speaking a truth - this makes absolutely no sense to put yourself out there like this.  Oh yeah right, he can handle the new world of wealth he is exposed to because he is an accountant.  Yeah get a life. 

I am from Maryland and I appreciate that this is a state where you can claim your pize anonymously. 

Those who have played for years and seen the good, the bad, and the indifferent in winners and losers.  A marriage proposal, a new car offered, everyone and their mamma are going to be gunning for him and he'll have no peace. 

I wish him well and the other new minted millionaires from Powerball and Mega Millionaires. 

This is so true by now there is probably a crowd formed on his street, and where he teaches will be a mecca for the undesirables who will seek out his wealth.

Quote: Originally posted by Uncle Jim on Sep 3, 2007

He's already come forward so the rest of you feel free to chime in with me:

...WE HOPE HE TAKES THE CASH OPTION AND WE HOPE HE DOESN'T HAVE PROBLEMS LATER IN HIS LIFE..

OK...I'll probably burn for this but I gotta say it...this guy already looks like a train wreck waiting to happen! 

1. He lives in a state that allows anonimity and he's already gone public?  It had to be him or someone close to him that called the press because the drawing was Friday and the Lottery offices are closed so they couldn't have made the announcement.

2. The drawing was Friday and this is Monday...he hasn't been to the Lottery offices yet, let alone collect his money and he's already bought a new car? 

3. He's making public promises to help fund his friend's business?

Oh well it's his life.

But I couldn't help thinking:

Hey!  It's Bunky!  The Bunkmeister!  Winning the Lotto!  Fighting off the babes!  The Bunkster!  Holding a press conference!  At the Coffee House!  With his Bunkbuddies!  Buying coffee!  Making promises!  It's a Bunk-O-Rama!  He's buying a Bunkmobile!  He's out Bunking around!  Going to a Bunkapalooza!  Funky Bunky!  Living the High Life!  

All I can say is...good luck dude!

Jim

http://wjz.com/topstories/local_story_245164345.html uncle jim you bring up alot of good points and maybe he has heard people asking him if he sought out more financial advice because in this clip they say he has. the nickname part of your comment reminded me of rob schneider on SNL next to the copy machine whenever someone came by he would give them nicknames LOL

Uncle Jim & Rundown...you are so right.  Being in FL, I never thought about anonymity being a choice.  Why would anyone want to have his photo all over the internet and on the news if he could just quietly walk away?  Keep in mind that it's also a holiday, so I think the lottery offices are all closed.  Most of the state & federal buildings here are shut.  Although I'd deal with it if I ever win a lot of money, being able to remain anonymous would be a real plus.

dfitz59

We all wish it was us.....Good Luck and Congrats...now have fun spending it ...it goes fast but enjoy it...remember help others and give to worthy causes and take care of the people who have been good to you...

Party

dfitz59
You are too funny....The Bunkmaster.....lol jim you clown...I love it...but come on we all wanted to win.....I Agree!
DoubleDown

Now that he is plastered all over the news and internet, he will need some magic to avoid the dreaded pitfalls.

Nevertheless, I hope he chooses cash option and does not have financial problems later in life...

Guru101's avatarGuru101

We can't make any assumptions about whether or not this guy will end up losing his wealth. Who cares if he has people asking for handouts? It would happen anyway regardless if he exposed himself. Like I've said before, even if you claim anonymously, people will see the new house, the new car, the new home theater, the new clothes, the new watch, and the new whatever and know that person is loaded. People will still find out. I wish more people would understand that it's not about whether or not a lot of people know you have a lot of money, it's about whether or not you can say no without giving it a second thought. A lot of people know Bill Gates is rich, and a lot of people hit him up for money, but I'm sure he knows how to say no. The fact is, there are rich people who get hit up for money everyday, and they are able to say no. Just because he's a lottery winner doesn't mean the same thing doesn't apply. If you want to claim anonymously to cut back the exposure SOME, then that's ok, but don't think none of that wealth is going to be exposed. The ability to say no is more important than the amount of exposure you receive.

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

classic story

if hes into nature magic

he be fine in hes own power"the magic will protect him LMAO"

now, any bets on he if get fatter 

sense now he can eat anything he wants 24,7

also if magic works why dont it have a spell or whatever for losing some damn Weight,

Uncle Jim

First...There was Jack!

Then came...Dave and Shawna!

Now there's...Bunky!

Hey!  Who am I kidding?  The Bunkaroo will be fine!  He made a deal with his Pagan Gods to win the Lottery!  They'll no doubt protect him from the pitfalls in spite of his own stupidity.  I should apologize for pointing out what a knucklehead he is.

Dear Bunky,

Congratulations on your magic lottery spell.  Enjoy your winnings and may the farce be with you.

Warmest regards,

Uncle Jim

PS Could you spot me a couple of mil?  I'd like to open a combination Bingo Hall/Health Food Store/Cosmic Observatory.  

wyndechilde

Quote: Originally posted by joshuacloak on Sep 3, 2007

classic story

if hes into nature magic

he be fine in hes own power"the magic will protect him LMAO"

now, any bets on he if get fatter 

sense now he can eat anything he wants 24,7

also if magic works why dont it have a spell or whatever for losing some damn Weight,

Gee, glad to know this bunch is so supportive of those who do what they wish they could do.  I'm sure he would be more worthy of his winning if he were thin, handsome, and christian. 

The fact remains that he won, Wiccan or not.  While he may have been wiser to chose the "anonymous" route, you have to credit him with being willing to put himself out there to help people understand his faith,  which is constantly misunderstood, lambasted (look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls), ridiculed, and disrespected.  Don't knock it until you do a little research; he IS fine in his own power; the magic WILL protect him, and HE'll laugh all the way to the bank.  When's the last time YOU did that?

Chill out, wyndechilde.   Everyone is just having a little fun.  That's what happens when someone chooses to expose himself to the media.   I made the same silly puns about cheese so don't have a melt down.

By the way, I've paid a few people for Reiki healings.  Never did a darn thing for me except take my money at the end of the session.  I guess I can't criticize since doctors do it to.

computerhead723's avatarcomputerhead723

This is so true by now there is probably a crowd formed on his street, and where he teaches will be a mecca for the undesirables who will seek out his wealth.

I  know   if   my   neighbor   (pretend)  hit   for   a   billion   and   he   lived  next  door  my   relationship   with  them  woud  not   change .....I   have  not   had   nor   desire  to   follow  up   someones   behind  ,  just   because   they   won   some  money  ...thats   there   own  business not  mine  :

people every-where  need   to   get   a  life  and   make  there   own  million  dollars:;

I  see   people   in   town  begging   for  money  24 hr.  a day   everyday   the   same  ole   people  instead  of  finding  a   solution  to   their   delimia .....I  am   sure  this   guy  told   only   a  handfulll   of   people  and  those  same   PEOPLE   got   Big   Mouths .......Rant

jim695

Quote: Originally posted by wyndechilde on Sep 4, 2007

Gee, glad to know this bunch is so supportive of those who do what they wish they could do.  I'm sure he would be more worthy of his winning if he were thin, handsome, and christian. 

The fact remains that he won, Wiccan or not.  While he may have been wiser to chose the "anonymous" route, you have to credit him with being willing to put himself out there to help people understand his faith,  which is constantly misunderstood, lambasted (look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls), ridiculed, and disrespected.  Don't knock it until you do a little research; he IS fine in his own power; the magic WILL protect him, and HE'll laugh all the way to the bank.  When's the last time YOU did that?

Thank you, wyndechilde, for speaking the voice of reason.

For the foremost collection of lottery experts on the net, we are very quick to unleash our venomous barbs on those who have achieved what we most covet.

Uncle Jim, I'm surprised that you would count this fortunate soul among the numbers of Jack Whittaker, David Edwards and their ilk. After all, we have no evidence to indicate that he won't invest his money wisely, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt and wish him continued good luck and success. We should at least delay our attacks until he's had a chance to claim his money.

At his age, he's probably better off taking the annuity; it'll give him a better chance to become accustomed to his wealth. He's an accountant, so I believe that will give him an advantage over other major jackpot winners who have no concept of money and how to utilize it. I'm guessing he'll do all right; I'm sure he has his own reasons for his public exposition. If I ever won that kind of money, I think the first thing I'd  do is to find the county prosecutor and expose myself to him (that's an inside joke for those of you who know what I went through last summer).

If he chooses to believe the Wiccan gods were responsible for his good fortune, who are we to say that they weren't and, more importantly, why do we feel such a burning need to dispute it? I can't speak for my fellow members, but I don't practice Wicca, and I've never won $49 million. Maybe that's only a coincidence, and maybe it isn't. Regardless, he won and we didn't; that's our bear to cross.

I would like to believe that my peers here on the forum would be happy for me if I'm ever lucky enough to match all six numbers on the same line. However, the more posts I read by different authors, the more I'm inclined to believe I'll be attacked and condemned by the very people who made it possible.  

See if you can finish this adage:

"With friends like you, ...?"

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Yawn

am sure we'll find out soon enough what will become of him

so grab some Lurking and enjoy the spectical

besides am sure what ever god/demons etc etc he prayed to will come for thar share soon enough and We'll be thar to laugh and poke fun @ him

Uncle Jim

Jim,

Let me be clear.  I am thrilled to death to see people win the lottery.  I love it!  But when I see people like Bunky acting like an idiot...BEFORE...he's validated his ticket let alone claimed his prize I tend to believe he's already going down the wrong road and...THAT...I hate to see.

You say there's no  evidence that he won't invest his money wisely.  Good grief Jim he's buying cars, holding court and talking about investing in a reiki healing center/tea shop/wiccan learning center and again he hasn't even validated his ticket yet.  Now I don't know...maybe a reiki healing center/tea shop/wiccan learning center is a great investment opportunity overlooked by most investors.  Maybe it is more secure than U.S. government T-Bills and has more tax advantages that Municipal Bonds.  Heck, it may be a veritable gold mone for all I know  But I do tend to doubt it.  

You say Bunky is an accountant and therefore, he will know how to handle his money.  All of us here at Lottery Post follow this stuff and we know what can happen to a winner when their name and picture are published.  Maybe Bunky doesn't read Lottery Post and maybe he doesn't know what will happen to him in the future.  But as an accountant he should know better than to advertise his financial status.  Especially in a state that allows lottery winners to remain anonymous.

I confess to poking a little fun at Bunky.  How could you not?  Look at what a lout he is acting like a big shot and chiding his "media shy wife" in public.  What a jerk!    

As for his religion...I don't care what his religion is.  But he's the one who put it out there.  Maybe his Wiccan Gods and magic spells are the reason he won the lottery.  But a long time ago I adopted this motto:

I don't doubt the word of God.  I doubt the mouth of man speaking it. 

Bunky is behaving just like the aforementioned big shots Jack and Dave.  He's courting the limelight...making promises...spending money he doesn't have and opening up his family to all kinds of potential problems.  That's not maing fun of him...that's just telling it like it is.

I sincerely wish Bunky and his family the best of luck.  But I have to tell you...based on his initial actions I have a feeling we'll be reading about him for years to come.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Jim 

Olabode's avatarOlabode

All this talk about remaining anonymous got me wondering.. how do you find out in what states you can remain anonymous or not? And on that note, can you remain anonymous in NJ? Big Grin

Thanks.

jarasan's avatarjarasan

I believe in magic.

Here you go Bunky.

Enjoy The Lovin' Spoonful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaqRwFyoGgQ

LuckyLilly's avatarLuckyLilly

Holy crap, someone on one of my email lists just posted that these people are "dear friends" of theirs.  She said they've been thru some hard knocks and everyone is really happy for them.  I've known (virtually) the poster for about 10 years and believe her.  She said they're going to a celebration tomorrow, so I'll ask her for updates.

Quote: Originally posted by LuckyLilly on Sep 4, 2007

Holy crap, someone on one of my email lists just posted that these people are "dear friends" of theirs.  She said they've been thru some hard knocks and everyone is really happy for them.  I've known (virtually) the poster for about 10 years and believe her.  She said they're going to a celebration tomorrow, so I'll ask her for updates.

I suppose this is what Uncle Jim means.  I agree with anyone who writes that it's none of our business to judge others.  I wouldn't want to read on LP that everyone predicted I was going to blow my money or said negative things about me.  However, if I won millions of dollars, I doubt if I'd really care at all what people on a message board wrote because I'd be too busy making plans!

Anyway, Brad whatshisname had a big party after he won and he seems to be doing okay. I've known a lot of successful people who look nerdier than this guy!  If Bunky had a dream to open up a Wicca center, then this is very good publicity for him so maybe he's taking advantage of the free advertising.  I wish him a lot of luck and happiness instead of double, double toil & trouble.  I just hope he doesn't keep his money in a cauldron and takes advantage of the burst of the housing bubble.

Smiley

AuntiePat's avatarAuntiePat

Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on Sep 3, 2007

R O F L M F A O. . . .

OMIGOD--was that funny!!

jim695

Uncle Jim:

My comments weren't specifically aimed at you (well, most of them weren't), and you have my most sincere and heartfelt apologies if I gave that impression. I always enjoy reading your posts, as I know you put a great deal of thought into every sentence you write.

Excepting the paragraph in which I addressed you, the remainder was meant as food for thought for the general membership. I've noticed some pretty scathing comments coming from many other members, not just in this thread, but in quite a few others as well. I believe we'd get more done if we didn't waste so much time criticizing each other and those who have managed to actually win a jackpot; after all, isn't that why we're all here?  

You can be assured that my final comment, that little word puzzle, DEFINITELY did NOT apply to you, as no one here can accuse you of not doing your part in our ongoing and protracted battles with the states. I would hope you know me well enough by now to realize that, if I had issues with you, I would send you a rather civil PM, either to ask for clarification or maybe just to argue a point. I don't believe in making personal attacks on the forum, unless someone here backs me into a corner and I have no choice but to come out swinging. Thankfully, that hasn't happened since the last time, and it probably won't happen again until the next time.

I truly hope this clears the air, Uncle Jim. I didn't mean to criticize your opinions, and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm very grateful for all the work you've done.

The rest of this post is for everyone who cares to continue reading.

Having spent my best years in the military, I know and appreciate the value of a multitude acting as a single, cohesive unit. I think we can dispense with the push-ups, the marching, the close-order drills and the white-glove inspections, but we do need to pull together at some point in the very-near future. We are 55,000 strong and growing even stronger every day, but if a thousand of us are headed east, two thousand are going south, and another two thousand decide to go in another direction while the rest stay put, what possible chance do we have of achieving our objectives? We need to organize ourselves, unite and make our COLLECTIVE voice heard if we're to be at all effective in our common quest to rid state lotteries of their infernal machines.

Todd has been working tirelessly (aided by a few equally committed members) to keep the spotlight trained directly on Tennessee's potentially crooked lottery, and I applaud his efforts and the sacrifices he's made to lead this charge. I think he's a very competent general whom we can all follow with confidence and, if we give him the support he needs, I have no doubt that he can bring about the victory we've been seeking for the past five years. Even a qualified victory in Tennessee would give us significant fodder with which to challenge our own nemesis in Indianapolis.

I know that some of you who read this post couldn't care less how the numbers are drawn, and a few others actually prefer to challenge the RNG's, so you can simply ignore what I've written here. The rest of you, however, are desperately needed on the front lines. I'm asking you to stop watching the battle and take an active part in it. Put down your potato chips, arise from your comfy sofa and come forward and enlist in the Lottery Players' and Gamblers' Army (okay; I had to take that word out - we don't want to be confused with the LPGA. I served in the KTO, but I can't think of anything more frightening than facing down a bunch of women wielding golf clubs - Yikes! Lottery Players' Army, or Association, if you prefer, will do just fine).

Uncle Jim and LosingJeff are two members who work full-time jobs, yet they spend what little spare time they have fighting the good fight. Both have gone above and beyond the call of duty in their efforts, but they need our help. Todd's doing more than his share, and I'm giving it everything I have. I know LOTTOMIKE is with us, as well as some others whose names escape me at the moment.

It's a good start, but ten or twelve people can only exert so much influence, and that's why we need everyone who's interested to take an active role. Assuming there are 35,000 of us who prefer traditional (mechanical) lottery drawings, it won't take long to win this conflict if we all pull together. If not, this "exciting new technology" will continue to spread to other states like the destructive cancer it has become.

Are any of you who are currently unaffected willing to take that chance? If so, you have my congratulations and my sympathy, because each of you is more of a gambler than I'll ever be.

shrapnel19

bunky, don't go spending it all on some fancy nimbus 2000!!

ok. All jokes aside, i'm happy for him. he seems like a nice guy. i'm jealous of his fortune. not in the sense that i wish he didn't win, but in the sense that i wish i could win one too!

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by Uncle Jim on Sep 4, 2007

Jim,

Let me be clear.  I am thrilled to death to see people win the lottery.  I love it!  But when I see people like Bunky acting like an idiot...BEFORE...he's validated his ticket let alone claimed his prize I tend to believe he's already going down the wrong road and...THAT...I hate to see.

You say there's no  evidence that he won't invest his money wisely.  Good grief Jim he's buying cars, holding court and talking about investing in a reiki healing center/tea shop/wiccan learning center and again he hasn't even validated his ticket yet.  Now I don't know...maybe a reiki healing center/tea shop/wiccan learning center is a great investment opportunity overlooked by most investors.  Maybe it is more secure than U.S. government T-Bills and has more tax advantages that Municipal Bonds.  Heck, it may be a veritable gold mone for all I know  But I do tend to doubt it.  

You say Bunky is an accountant and therefore, he will know how to handle his money.  All of us here at Lottery Post follow this stuff and we know what can happen to a winner when their name and picture are published.  Maybe Bunky doesn't read Lottery Post and maybe he doesn't know what will happen to him in the future.  But as an accountant he should know better than to advertise his financial status.  Especially in a state that allows lottery winners to remain anonymous.

I confess to poking a little fun at Bunky.  How could you not?  Look at what a lout he is acting like a big shot and chiding his "media shy wife" in public.  What a jerk!    

As for his religion...I don't care what his religion is.  But he's the one who put it out there.  Maybe his Wiccan Gods and magic spells are the reason he won the lottery.  But a long time ago I adopted this motto:

Bunky is behaving just like the aforementioned big shots Jack and Dave.  He's courting the limelight...making promises...spending money he doesn't have and opening up his family to all kinds of potential problems.  That's not maing fun of him...that's just telling it like it is.

I sincerely wish Bunky and his family the best of luck.  But I have to tell you...based on his initial actions I have a feeling we'll be reading about him for years to come.

Jim 

Who are you to judge him? How is he acting like an idiot? I want you people to know that just because he exposed himself before claiming the jackpot and isn't claiming anonymously doesn't mean he's unwise. I think you people who are going on about his exposure are WEAK in the face of the media and SHY when you have a lot of people looking at you. I'll say this again, the ability to say no to people asking for handouts is a lot more important than exposure you receive because the exposure WILL HAPPEN ANYWAY. Rich people get hit up for money all the time. It's the ability to say no that allows them to keep their money.

Also, you're talking about him buying a new car. So what! If he wants to go out and buy a new car, then that's up to him!

Uncle Jim, his initial actions so far show NO evidence of ANY problems he will face. Also, you keep throwing things out there. You keep going on about him being a big shot, making promises, and spending money he doesn't have! Oh please! He wasn't acting like a big shot. He was getting a look at what to expect at lottery headquarters, and there was probably more media at lottery headquarters too! Promises? What promises? I know he promised his God that he would teach if he won the lottery. What's wrong with that? Also, by what I've seen so far, he looks as if he'll keep that promise!

Uncle Jim, you shouldn't even be judging him one bit, not one tiny bit. You don't know him, and to judge people you don't even know is just rediculous. You keep making fun of his God and his belief in magic. First off, he can believe in any religion he wants. Also, just so you know, Wiccans don't try to do magic like the magic you see in Harry Potter, so you can really cut the jokes on that. The magic they believe in isn't what you would call conspicuous. Also, are you Christian? I wonder how many non-religion people would laugh at you if you told them you believe Jesus walked on water, or that God helped Moses and his comrades by splitting the sea.

At the end of the day, he's $49,000,000 richer, and you're not. So make fun of him all you want. Ha ha!

Just6ntlc

I hope the winner Mr. Bartlett step forward, take cash option, and doesn't have financial problems later in life.

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by Just6ntlc on Sep 4, 2007

I hope the winner Mr. Bartlett step forward, take cash option, and doesn't have financial problems later in life.

Dude, seriously, do you have to keep posting that?

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on Sep 4, 2007

When one's mission is to achieve top poster status, then this is what we get.

Keep em coming, J6 ! At the rate you're going, it will take you 30,000 more posts to catch Lucky....

four4me

Quote: Originally posted by Just6ntlc on Sep 4, 2007

He has stepped forward and claimed the prize cash option. As to whether or not he will have financial problems we'll have to wait and see.

It'll take a while to spend 32.6 million dollars. 

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by DoubleDown on Sep 4, 2007

Keep em coming, J6 ! At the rate you're going, it will take you 30,000 more posts to catch Lucky....

Ya. It's pretty easy going into every thread and posting "I hope they fix that", "I hope it's ok", "I hope they don't", "I hope the winner lives a good life", etc.

One2Adore's avatarOne2Adore

Who are you to judge him? How is he acting like an idiot? I want you people to know that just because he exposed himself before claiming the jackpot and isn't claiming anonymously doesn't mean he's unwise. I think you people who are going on about his exposure are WEAK in the face of the media and SHY when you have a lot of people looking at you. I'll say this again, the ability to say no to people asking for handouts is a lot more important than exposure you receive because the exposure WILL HAPPEN ANYWAY. Rich people get hit up for money all the time. It's the ability to say no that allows them to keep their money.

Also, you're talking about him buying a new car. So what! If he wants to go out and buy a new car, then that's up to him!

Uncle Jim, his initial actions so far show NO evidence of ANY problems he will face. Also, you keep throwing things out there. You keep going on about him being a big shot, making promises, and spending money he doesn't have! Oh please! He wasn't acting like a big shot. He was getting a look at what to expect at lottery headquarters, and there was probably more media at lottery headquarters too! Promises? What promises? I know he promised his God that he would teach if he won the lottery. What's wrong with that? Also, by what I've seen so far, he looks as if he'll keep that promise!

Uncle Jim, you shouldn't even be judging him one bit, not one tiny bit. You don't know him, and to judge people you don't even know is just rediculous. You keep making fun of his God and his belief in magic. First off, he can believe in any religion he wants. Also, just so you know, Wiccans don't try to do magic like the magic you see in Harry Potter, so you can really cut the jokes on that. The magic they believe in isn't what you would call conspicuous. Also, are you Christian? I wonder how many non-religion people would laugh at you if you told them you believe Jesus walked on water, or that God helped Moses and his comrades by splitting the sea.

At the end of the day, he's $49,000,000 richer, and you're not. So make fun of him all you want. Ha ha!

Guru, I think you are being way too harsh on UncleJim and taking what he's saying even further out of context.  I understand what he is trying to say.   Maybe calling the man an idiot wasn't the best thing, but everything else he has said makes sense to me.   The other lottery winners who talked about their wealth and made this plan and that plan about how they're going to give to this person or that company have indeed come into problems.  

Not all rich people get hit up for money.  Maybe the uber rich (Gates, etc.), but not the regular rich (small company owners, etc).  Lottery winners get hit up for money because most folks believe them to be gullible with their newly acquired wealth.  But if no one knows that you've won, it's very easy to blend in with the "regular" rich.

There's my $.02... not that anyone asked.  *tee hee*

One2Adore's avatarOne2Adore

Quote: Originally posted by four4me on Sep 4, 2007

He has stepped forward and claimed the prize cash option. As to whether or not he will have financial problems we'll have to wait and see.

It'll take a while to spend 32.6 million dollars. 

four4me, I take it you haven't read about David Edwards.  In 2001, he won $27million "after taxes" and it was all gone by 2007.  He had spent /wasted $12 million the first year alone.

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/161361.htm

awwcrap's avatarawwcrap

"I don't doubt the word of god.  I doubt the mouth of man speaking it."  I like your motto,,,uncle jim

delS

Quote: Originally posted by Uncle Jim on Sep 4, 2007

Jim,

Jim 

Uncle Jim you are more than correct.  Bunky exposed himself to a world that will seek to eat him and his money alive and spit him out.  He didn't have to do it.  And no, he probably doesn't read Lottery Post, but so what, he should back up and back off of the media circus now. 

No one wishes him or any of the newly minted millionaires any ill will.  On the other hand if you open your mouth then insert your foot. 

He still has a chance to quietly disappear.  However, in about 2 or 3 years he'll give all lottery players some sound advice he didn't know and didn't take - STAY OUT OF THE PUBLIC GLARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by delS on Sep 4, 2007

Uncle Jim you are more than correct.  Bunky exposed himself to a world that will seek to eat him and his money alive and spit him out.  He didn't have to do it.  And no, he probably doesn't read Lottery Post, but so what, he should back up and back off of the media circus now. 

No one wishes him or any of the newly minted millionaires any ill will.  On the other hand if you open your mouth then insert your foot. 

He still has a chance to quietly disappear.  However, in about 2 or 3 years he'll give all lottery players some sound advice he didn't know and didn't take - STAY OUT OF THE PUBLIC GLARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's nothing wrong with being in the "public glare". It depends on the person. Didn't you read my last post? The ultimate factor is the person's ability to say no, not how much exposure they receive. Like I said before, there are a lot of people with a lot of money who are able to go day to day saying no to people asking for handouts.

delS

There's nothing wrong with being in the "public glare". It depends on the person. Didn't you read my last post? The ultimate factor is the person's ability to say no, not how much exposure they receive. Like I said before, there are a lot of people with a lot of money who are able to go day to day saying no to people asking for handouts.

Frankly Sir-

I don't give a damn about your last post; your first post, and or any other post you make.  I was addressing Uncle Jim.  You are a very rude and ignorant person if you ask me.  Who the hell died and left you in charge of anything but yourself. 

Step the hell off and get a life. 

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by delS on Sep 4, 2007

Frankly Sir-

I don't give a damn about your last post; your first post, and or any other post you make.  I was addressing Uncle Jim.  You are a very rude and ignorant person if you ask me.  Who the hell died and left you in charge of anything but yourself. 

Step the hell off and get a life. 

You keep saying derogatory comments about him because he let people know he won the lottery, big whoop! You don't even know the guy, and you're going to go and say he's going to have all kinds of trouble. You don't know that! You have no idea what will happen. You think all you have to do is look at somebody and be able to tell what kind of person they are or how they live. That's not how it works!

chouquounette

Gee...so much ink wasted on this topic... the guy won, he is happy, I am happy for him....let's let him enjoy his new found wealth for a minute....and most of all wish him the best.....he just had his moment of fame... he deserves to enjoy every minute of it...His choice was to go public...would not have been mine but I am cheering for him and his family...and I wish him the best... truly...Blue Angel

richnj1

So-called "Guru" -- you're right that we don't know anything about the lottery winner.  You, on the other hand, have given me plenty of information about what YOU are like through your posts.

As for your "all that matters is their ability to say no" hypothesis, the plain truth is that a person who seeks public attention is more likely to be someone who needs the approval of others ... and such a person may well have a tendency toward finding it hard to say no.

Next time, I hope YOU win.  We should be able to time your descent with a stopwatch, not a calendar.

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by richnj1 on Sep 4, 2007

So-called "Guru" -- you're right that we don't know anything about the lottery winner.  You, on the other hand, have given me plenty of information about what YOU are like through your posts.

As for your "all that matters is their ability to say no" hypothesis, the plain truth is that a person who seeks public attention is more likely to be someone who needs the approval of others ... and such a person may well have a tendency toward finding it hard to say no.

Next time, I hope YOU win.  We should be able to time your descent with a stopwatch, not a calendar.

Why do you say he was SEEKING public attention. He just let people know he was the winner and got some media attention, that's all. Besides, that happens to a lot of lottery winners because just the claiming of the jackpot alone lets people know that you're the winner. That doesn't mean a month from now he's going to be running down the street yelling "I won the lottery! I won the lottery!". Either way, it still remains fact that there are many rich people who go day to day saying no to people who ask for handouts. Just because you're rich and a lot of people know you're rich, doesn't mean you can't properly manage your money. It's already been done. Again, the ability to say no plays a much bigger role in a person's finances than the number of people who know that person has a lot of money.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by richnj1 on Sep 4, 2007

richnj1,

Did you join LP today just to make the one post above?  The truth is when ever someone wins a lottery jackpot, there are lots of losers who feel they lost a dollar to someone less deserving than themselves and wish nothing but the worst for the lucky winners.  If I ever win, I will think twice before ever posting anything about it at LP.

Quote: Originally posted by DoubleDown on Sep 4, 2007

There is absolutely nothing in the lottery rules that says you have to come forward.  Why can't you enter the Lottery Headquarters backwards?  I haven't checked on it yet, but I believe you could probably get a parachute and skydive into the Lottery Office or buy a camel and ride it up to the front desk.  I've never seen a sign that says "no camels allowed."

Razz

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Sep 4, 2007

richnj1,

Did you join LP today just to make the one post above?  The truth is when ever someone wins a lottery jackpot, there are lots of losers who feel they lost a dollar to someone less deserving than themselves and wish nothing but the worst for the lucky winners.  If I ever win, I will think twice before ever posting anything about it at LP.

I agree with you on that. Some people seem to be so upset that they weren't "the one", that they decide to look for any detail they can to make it appear that the person is a less deserving or incompetent jackpot winner.

four4me

For those who are curious, interested, or just plain crazy for the guy

here the big man at the news conference at lottery HQ

Maryland Lottery Officials Confirm Jackpot Winner

Also there are tons of stuff about his win every TV radio and news station has a piece of his story. A little Birdie told me he may be on one of the morning shows.

Uncle Jim

I did call Bunky an idiot.  And I meant it.  Was it harsh?  Well let's look at Bunky's accomplishments so far:

NOTE: All of this stuff comes from press accounts 

1. He bought a winning lottery ticket in a state that allows you to remain anonymous.

2. So he called the press and announced himself as one of the winners.

3. He then photocopyed his winning Lottery Ticket and carried it around with him showing it off to people. 

4. Next he held a press conference at the Enchanted Tiki Room or whatever the name of that place is and announced that he made a deal with his Wiccan Gods to win the Lottery.  (By the way...how did all those people who were calling him there know he was going to be there?  I guess he must have told them.)

5. He also bought a brand new Ford Explorer promising to pay for it when he got his lottery money.

6. He's committed publiclly to helping/investing with his friends to expand the Enchanted Tiki Room.

7. He's appeared on CNN to a world wide audience.

8. He's announced he's throwing a party for his friends and family.

9. He gave another press conference when he visited Lottery Headquarters and among other things he reiterated the deal he made with the Wiccan Gods.

10. He got a glow in the dark Wiccan tattoo

11. He reconfirmed his committment to invest in the Enchanted Titki Room and announced he was setting his family up in a Real Estate venture.  

12. He announced he would be giving money to charity. 

13. He announced he was buying a new house.  (Presumably before he opens the family Real Estate Venture.)

14. He's appearing before another world wide audience on yet another National Network show today.  NBC's Today Show.

And according to the Maryland Lottery he is still 7 to 10 days away from receiving his money.

Once again I did call him an idiot.  And once again I meant it.  Why?  Well let's be clear about this.  I didn't call him an idiot because he's a Wiccan.  I didn't call him an idiot because of his appearance (as some people...not me...have pointed out).  I called him an idiot because he is doing absolutely everything the experts and the lessons learned by past big lottery winners tell us not to do.

Now maybe Bunky will be the exception.  I doubt it  But maybe.  This guy is off to a horrible start.

Just a few side notes to previous posters:

@Jim695:

Hey buddy...no harm no foul

@Justexploring:

As a rule I really enjoy your posts.  This may be splitting hairs a bit but more than judging Bunky I was judging his actions  

@Guru:

OK..so there's some animosity between us.  You believe the Hoosier Lottery is on the up and up I believe it is crooked.  You believe in the Tooth Fairy and I don't.  You believe in the Nancy Regan school for lottery winners and I say why put yourself in that position if you don't have to.  You say we're all weak but I have no doubt that you are as strong as a garlic milkshake.  So when you win that wopping big Hoosier Lottery Jackpot you've been dreaming about you can drive over to my house, hold a press conference on my front lawn and say:

NYAH NYAH NA NYAH NYAH!  I WON THE HOOSIER LOTTERY!  HAH HAH!  UNCLE JIM SAID TI WAS FIXED BUT I SHOWED HIM!

Then you can go to Maryland and hang around with Bunky at the Enchanted Tiki room and the 2 of you can say NO! NO! NO! to your heart's content.

Finally...to all those who think this is sour grapes on my part.  I don't live in a Mega Millions state so I don't play.  I couldn't care less who wins it.  But Bunky is behaving like an idiot.  And I hate to see that.  The good news for Bunky is he will soon get a check for $32 million and I'm quite sure that with that kind of money he couldn't care less what Uncle Jim says or thinks. 

May the Gods continue to bless you Bunky.  Because you're gonna need al the help you can get.

Jim  

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by Uncle Jim on Sep 5, 2007

I did call Bunky an idiot.  And I meant it.  Was it harsh?  Well let's look at Bunky's accomplishments so far:

1. He bought a winning lottery ticket in a state that allows you to remain anonymous.

3. He then photocopyed his winning Lottery Ticket and carried it around with him showing it off to people. 

4. Next he held a press conference at the Enchanted Tiki Room or whatever the name of that place is and announced that he made a deal with his Wiccan Gods to win the Lottery.  (By the way...how did all those people who were calling him there know he was going to be there?  I guess he must have told them.)

5. He also bought a brand new Ford Explorer promising to pay for it when he got his lottery money.

6. He's committed publiclly to helping/investing with his friends to expand the Enchanted Tiki Room.

9. He gave another press conference when he visited Lottery Headquarters and among other things he reiterated the deal he made with the Wiccan Gods.

11. He reconfirmed his committment to invest in the Enchanted Titki Room and announced he was setting his family up in a Real Estate venture.  

13. He announced he was buying a new house.  (Presumably before he opens the family Real Estate Venture.)

14. He's appearing before another world wide audience on yet another National Network show today.  NBC's Today Show.

And according to the Maryland Lottery he is still 7 to 10 days away from receiving his money.

Once again I did call him an idiot.  And once again I meant it.  Why?  Well let's be clear about this.  I didn't call him an idiot because he's a Wiccan.  I didn't call him an idiot because of his appearance (as some people...not me...have pointed out).  I called him an idiot because he is doing absolutely everything the experts and the lessons learned by past big lottery winners tell us not to do.

Now maybe Bunky will be the exception.  I doubt it  But maybe.  This guy is off to a horrible start.

@Jim695:

@Justexploring:

As a rule I really enjoy your posts.  This may be splitting hairs a bit but more than judging Bunky I was judging his actions  

@Guru:

OK..so there's some animosity between us.  You believe the Hoosier Lottery is on the up and up I believe it is crooked.  You believe in the Tooth Fairy and I don't.  You believe in the Nancy Regan school for lottery winners and I say why put yourself in that position if you don't have to.  You say we're all weak but I have no doubt that you are as strong as a garlic milkshake.  So when you win that wopping big Hoosier Lottery Jackpot you've been dreaming about you can drive over to my house, hold a press conference on my front lawn and say:

NYAH NYAH NA NYAH NYAH!  I WON THE HOOSIER LOTTERY!  HAH HAH!  UNCLE JIM SAID TI WAS FIXED BUT I SHOWED HIM!

Then you can go to Maryland and hang around with Bunky at the Enchanted Tiki room and the 2 of you can say NO! NO! NO! to your heart's content.

Finally...to all those who think this is sour grapes on my part.  I don't live in a Mega Millions state so I don't play.  I couldn't care less who wins it.  But Bunky is behaving like an idiot.  And I hate to see that.  The good news for Bunky is he will soon get a check for $32 million and I'm quite sure that with that kind of money he couldn't care less what Uncle Jim says or thinks. 

May the Gods continue to bless you Bunky.  Because you're gonna need al the help you can get.

Jim  

Uncle Jim, this is a lottery forum. Do you feel it's your job to point out things you believe to be signs that someone is going to improperly manage their money every single time we get some information about a jackpot winner? People who win the lottery come from all walks of life. Not everyone is going to do it the same way you would and not everyone is perfect. The guy won the lottery and is excited about it, and there is NOTHING to show that this guy will improperly manage his money. Instead of turning everything you learn about a jackpot winner into forensics and come up with your own conclusion of how this person will end up, why can't you just be happy for the winner and let it be that? Reading a few news articles and watching a few videos is no where near credible enough to make judgements against that person.

AuntiePat's avatarAuntiePat

My family has been involved with running a rooming house for 75 years and in recent years I have become attuned to what is going on with the dregs of society.

By virtue of the fact that we are on here--this website-- posting--we can probably make some valid conclusions about one another--we know how to use a computer--most of us can spell or use spell check (except, psykomo, for those that choose  NOT to), MOST of us know how to conduct a discussion without resulting to violence, etc--I'm sure you can catch at least some of my point--we have some social and technical skills.

Now let me tie the 2 together--I would hope that most of us would not see a friend/relative/ neighbor's good luck at winning a substantial jackpot as an opportunity for us to take it from them--there are those in our society who would.  I'm NOT talking about people to whom you could say no--the relative with a hot idea for a restaurant or car dealership, the neighbor with a hard luck story--I'm talking about men with guns and no misgivings about using them.  I see these people everyday--and they are scarey.  These are the people I'm advocating Bunky be protected from--not the people he might or might not be able to say no to--I'm talking the peeps who won't take no for an answer and will back it up with force or the threat of force.

We can discuss and postulate all we want to about Bunky's wisdom or lack thereof and that is all we are doing--discussing and postulating and not hurting (except for a few offended feelings of pride) anyone else.  To a sociopath accustomed to using force and lacking in scruples--Bunky looks like an opportunity and he is demonstrating his willingness to give access to the public.

Remember that Canada decided to change their policy WRT publicity after the hostage threat to the family who won their $20M Jackpot a few months ago.  These are the types I'm referring to.  While I love reading news stories about lottery winners--what Bunky has done scares me--for him--for his teenaged daughter who's a college student--for his publicity shy wife--look at how much information we have about him and he's only been a winner for 4 1/2 days.

delS

Spoken like a very wise, inteeligent woman.  If only some winners would pay for your wisdom and advice.  I didn't even know about the daugther.  She is in for some frustration as well. 

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Really. You'd think there'd be a prescription that would fix it. Well, the repetitive, compulsive posting, anyway.  That he already did come forward seems to have been missed, and I'm guessing there's not much help for that.

richnj1

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Sep 4, 2007

richnj1,

Yes, Guru101 is such a pompous windbag he/she/it inspired me to fill out the registration info.

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by richnj1 on Sep 7, 2007

Yes, Guru101 is such a pompous windbag he/she/it inspired me to fill out the registration info.

How am I a pompous windbag? Please explain. I'm not the one who took the initiative to make derogatory statements about a person I don't even know. I wish more people would understand that knowing someone involves a lot more than reading a few articles and watching a few videos. If a few years from now, this guy has blown a ton of money, getting sued every week, kids getting into drugs, etc, etc, THEN the reputation that you people are describing might be worthy, but otherwise, nobody should be taking it upon themself to make derogatory statements about Bunky from the get go. To me, that's very shallow.

SoBe Yourself's avatarSoBe Yourself

Quote: Originally posted by Uncle Jim on Sep 5, 2007

@Jim695:

@Justexploring:

@Guru:

Jim  

Couldn't say it any better myself. Remember Howard Jack Whittaker Jr? This guy is the next version.

serge's avatarserge

my best wishes!!! 

SoBe Yourself's avatarSoBe Yourself

Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on Sep 3, 2007

That is awesome!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story