Clerk tricks lotto winner, pockets money

Sep 7, 2007, 10:27 pm (38 comments)

California Lottery

A man who went to a 7-Eleven in Roseville, Calif., to check on his lottery tickets had picked the right numbers, but state officials said it was the clerk who almost hit the jackpot.

The female clerk told the customer he won $4 on his Mega Millions picks for Aug. 14, and then pocketed his winning ticket worth $555,000, California Lottery officials said.

However, the clerk's alleged scheme fell apart after the unnamed victim became suspicious and called lottery officials.

Rajinder Kaur, 40, was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of grand theft, and the ticket was recovered, officials said.

Donald Currier, the lottery's chief legal counsel, said it was the second time in two years that a retail clerk had been arrested for allegedly stealing a winning ticket.

"To any clerks out there who think they can steal a winning ticket, we'll get you," Currier said. "Clerks just don't get away with it."

Kaur was booked into the Placer County jail in Auburn, Calif. on suspicion of grand theft. She was released on $50,000 bail.

Currier said the customer whose ticket was stolen was unaware he'd won more than half a million dollars when he went to the store Aug. 16.

The man, who officials said has a language barrier, purchased five sets of numbers at the 7-Eleven market two days earlier and had used his own numbers to play.

"He knew he had some winning numbers, but he didn't know how much he had won," Currier said.

The winning Mega Millions numbers that week were 5, 8, 9, 24 and 34, all of which the man had selected. Had he also hit the Meganumber of 17, he would have won $122 million.

He handed his winning ticket to the clerk to run through a validation machine to determine the amount won, Currier said.

However, after running the ticket, Kaur told the man, "You've won four dollars," and paid him that amount, Currier said. The attorney said Kaur kept the winning ticket, apparently with designs to cash it later.

Currier said that in the ensuing days, the victim saw news reports about the prize money being unclaimed and that the winning ticket had been purchased at the 7-Eleven in Roseville.

He also kept looking with confusion at the winning numbers, knowing he had played them, the attorney said.

On Tuesday, the man called the lottery office, which referred his complaint to its security and law enforcement division.

Working with Roseville police, the lottery agents, who are sworn peace officers, went to the store to investigate, Currier said.

"They interviewed people, collected evidence, arrested the clerk and recovered the ticket," he said.

If convicted of grand theft with an enhancement based on the high dollar amount, Kaur could face up to four years in state prison, Currier said.

Lottery officials are not yet releasing the name of the victim.

They said the investigation has not concluded and that lottery agents want to make sure the man is the rightful owner of the ticket.

"We believe that this is the guy," Currier said. "But we want to make absolutely sure. Once we finish the investigation, we will release the money."

Officials estimate the man will receive $416,000 after taxes.

Currier said the California Lottery encourages players to sign the backs of their tickets as soon as they purchase them.

"That would prevent fraud if they lose a winning ticket or if someone steals it," Currier said. "The thief will have a much harder time cashing it."

If the ticket is altered in any way after being signed, an investigation would be launched so that the rightful owner could be identified, he said.

Cathy Doyle Johnston, a spokeswoman for the lottery, said retail locations cannot redeem any cash prizes over $599.

If a lottery player believes he or she has won a prize of $600 or more, they are encouraged to contact the California Lottery or one of its district offices, she said.

Scripps Howard News Service

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

Guru101's avatarGuru101

This is why I check my numbers on the internet. Doesn't excuse the clerk. That was a cheap move on her part. I hope more retailers start using self scanners so people can check their tickets themself.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

The self scanners only lets a person know if the ticket is a winner or not. Doesnt give the value of win.

I personally think the person should have to sign a slip that prints out showing the ticket value. Sorta a cash receipt that saves from fraud or dupe'n a lottery player.

tnlotto1's avatartnlotto1

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on Sep 7, 2007

This is why I check my numbers on the internet. Doesn't excuse the clerk. That was a cheap move on her part. I hope more retailers start using self scanners so people can check their tickets themself.

i have used the self scanners in georgia and kentucky but i havent seen them in tennessee. in kentucky they show how much i won but in georgia it just said i had a winner and to see the clerk. my largest winner was maybe $10 so im not sure if they would show the larger tier amounts or just tell you to go to the lottery office to claim. im glad they caught this thief.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Probably most clerks are honest, but it's unfortunate when this happens.  I might be naive, but I can't imagine any of the nice people who work at Publix stealing money from me.  However, I would never check my numbers at a store.  It's not because I distrust the people at Publix, but because anything can go wrong when a ticket is scanned.  

Had he not played his own numbers, the real winner might not have realized he had been cheated.

SoBe Yourself's avatarSoBe Yourself

See signature below.

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

Welcome to America___'s jails. A curse upon all clerks who steal winning lottery tickets. Maybe the stealing hand will have a little choppy choppy action in prison. Without self check machines, it can happen to anyone. I am sick of hearing about this. Max prison sentence please.

LANTERN's avatarLANTERN

If people new better and enough they would not do that to them, at least he knew enough to call the lottery people.

From what I have heard and seen, a lot of people lose their lottery winnings in this way, very many players don't know enough to check their own tickets, if they did, it would give the clerks some relief and they (The players) would get to keep their money, everybody would win, but that of course will never happen.

mylollipop's avatarmylollipop

Quote: Originally posted by jeffrey on Sep 8, 2007

Welcome to America___'s jails. A curse upon all clerks who steal winning lottery tickets. Maybe the stealing hand will have a little choppy choppy action in prison. Without self check machines, it can happen to anyone. I am sick of hearing about this. Max prison sentence please.

I Agree!.  I also think that the ticket check ed come with a  with a receipt of the amount won,  is a good idea.  And also, to protect the customer, it should be illegal to check an unsigned ticket.  It will protect the bearer of the instrument in the long run.  I have seen many unscrupulous clerks.  Some have tried to take advantage of me!  My health has declined rapidly and I look it often.  And when the question comes up tip a clerk, my answer is, are you kidding???!!!!!!Let It All Out

dumars798's avatardumars798

JAIL JAIL JAIL IS HER NEW

BIG HOUSE!

gocart1's avatargocart1

yes.i'm with dumars............jail the ''s,o,b,'' or deport her

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

This problem is hardly new and goes on more often than this arrest would indicate. Look at what they had to do in Canada. All of it can be avoided by checking tickets on the internet first.

PrisonerSix

This is an example of why you should check your own numbers. In Louisiana, we can check them on the Internet or by calling the Lottery Information Line, a phone number with a recorded message of the winning numbers. Louisiana also has the online Club Lotteaux, which will Email all the winning numbers to members the next day.

For Powerball, the numbers are usually on Powerball.com within 30 minutes of the drawing, so I usually check those right away.

This doesn't excuse what the clerk did and he should serve time for it, but lottery players should use whatever method they have available to check the numbers themselves.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

In Ky the self scanner in the store shows how much the ticket is worth.....

Jokers High

Do the machines work the same in every state? In MD the clerk scans the ticket and a reciept on lottery stationary pops out with the correct amount on it. You're then get that and the cash.

I alwasy check mine online and write what it's worth on th back of the ticket. Even if I don't check online I don't let the clerk keep the on winning ticket.

LuckyLilly's avatarLuckyLilly

Quote: Originally posted by Jokers High on Sep 8, 2007

Do the machines work the same in every state? In MD the clerk scans the ticket and a reciept on lottery stationary pops out with the correct amount on it. You're then get that and the cash.

I alwasy check mine online and write what it's worth on th back of the ticket. Even if I don't check online I don't let the clerk keep the on winning ticket.

You know what, now that you mention it, I think they print a receipt in Idaho too, but the customer doesn't get it.  I see them staple something to the paid ticket which they keep.  Even if that's what it is, it doesn't do the customer a bit of good because it doesn't say WHO they paid.  The cashier could easily tell the customer it's not a winner, or it's a small winner, then pay the rest to themselves after the customer leaves.

It doesn't impact me cuz I check my own tickets on the internet, but I bet thieving clerks make a pretty good profit here.   I'm gonna email the state lottery commission and suggest they print a receipt for the customer and require it be given to the customer every single time or the clerk/store is penalized in some way.

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by dvdiva on Sep 8, 2007

This problem is hardly new and goes on more often than this arrest would indicate. Look at what they had to do in Canada. All of it can be avoided by checking tickets on the internet first.

I Agree!   I have always been suspicious when I look at the winners page on the GA lottery website and see pic after pic of a Mr or Mrs Patel that won big on scratchers.

The reason is, these people are not gamblers by nature. All they do is work and save their money.

Did they do the same as the 7 eleven clerk ? You be the judge.

Bagent's avatarBagent

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on Sep 7, 2007

Couldn't agree with you more Guru.  That is why when I check my tickets on the internet, I actually circle the numbers that match, then I check the "Did you win" section and write on the upper corner of the ticket the amount that I figure I had won.  When I go to the clerk, I TELL the clerk that I won this much money on this ticket.  Doing that, I feel that I have covered the bases to keep the clerk honest.

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

Always check your own numbers or sign the back of the ticket to be safe. Party 

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by DoubleDown on Sep 8, 2007

I Agree!   I have always been suspicious when I look at the winners page on the GA lottery website and see pic after pic of a Mr or Mrs Patel that won big on scratchers.

The reason is, these people are not gamblers by nature. All they do is work and save their money.

Did they do the same as the 7 eleven clerk ? You be the judge.

Lottery players with a system that wins don't think of themselves as gamblers, even some system players who lose don't think of themselves as gamblers.  Maybe Mr and Mrs Patel has a system for picking scratchers that are winners.

computerhead723's avatarcomputerhead723

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Sep 8, 2007

In Ky the self scanner in the store shows how much the ticket is worth.....

Thats  a  great  feature  ,too  give  a  winning   amout  in  NY  they  only  say  congradulations !!!

in  this   story  they  mentioned  "On Tuesday, the man called the lottery office, which referred his complaint to its security and law enforcement division"

I  never  heard  of  such   a  division  in  NY  Lottery @ but  I  am   sure   if  their  was  such  a  complaint  of  theft  the  police   would   come  out  the   wood -work :

NITEHAWK61's avatarNITEHAWK61

The store I go to in NY the clerks know me very well.

they give me a receipt for every transaction I make.

this is another good reason I tip them every once in a while when I win.

they take care of me and never try to cheat me.

HiYoSilver

Sure wish Michigan was like Kentucky, it would be great to be able to check our tickets ourselves.

A couple of weeks ago after I had a non-winner checked, the clerk started to throw it away. I asked for the ticket and reciept back for my tax records in case I won a big one. She then said, "Don't you trust me?". I told her, "Lady, when it comes to money, I don't trust anybody". I then asked her if she would trust me without verifying, if I just came in and told her I had a $5 winner.

As far as this clerk is concerned, I doubt she will get any prison time even though she deserves it. 

PrisonerSix

Quote: Originally posted by HiYoSilver on Sep 9, 2007

Sure wish Michigan was like Kentucky, it would be great to be able to check our tickets ourselves.

A couple of weeks ago after I had a non-winner checked, the clerk started to throw it away. I asked for the ticket and reciept back for my tax records in case I won a big one. She then said, "Don't you trust me?". I told her, "Lady, when it comes to money, I don't trust anybody". I then asked her if she would trust me without verifying, if I just came in and told her I had a $5 winner.

As far as this clerk is concerned, I doubt she will get any prison time even though she deserves it. 

I wish we had that option here in Louisiana too. Many states have lottery vending machines for scrach offs and some even have self service lottery terminals.

Louisiana isn't all that progressive in many areas it seems.

However, we do have a new game starting soon called Easy 5, where we can pick 5 numbers and win $50,000. We can even win if we only match 2 numbers. There's also a bonus number involved as well. Check it out here:

http://lalottery.com/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=219

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Sep 9, 2007

Lottery players with a system that wins don't think of themselves as gamblers, even some system players who lose don't think of themselves as gamblers.  Maybe Mr and Mrs Patel has a system for picking scratchers that are winners.

I'm sure they do. It's no gamble if you have a sure winner...

KyMystikal's avatarKyMystikal

All I can say is just sign the ticket as soon as it is printed.

Just6ntlc

Why is this person charged of theft?

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Since Winning Lottery Tickets are Bearer Instruments: The best course of action is Sign Your Tickets before giving them to a Clerk for Verification!

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by Just6ntlc on Sep 10, 2007

The authorities had nothing better to do , so they just charged the store clerk with theft.

Did you not read the story ????

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by DoubleDown on Sep 10, 2007

The authorities had nothing better to do , so they just charged the store clerk with theft.

Did you not read the story ????

He doesn't know how to be constructive in his posts so he just posts a question that is clearly explained in the story, all in his quest to become the #1 poster..........post count wise anyways.Roll Eyes

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Is there any chance that Just6 is actually just 6? That would explain a lot. Not everything, but a lot.

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Sep 10, 2007

Is there any chance that Just6 is actually just 6? That would explain a lot. Not everything, but a lot.

Green laugh

Badger's avatarBadger

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Sep 7, 2007

The self scanners only lets a person know if the ticket is a winner or not. Doesnt give the value of win.

I personally think the person should have to sign a slip that prints out showing the ticket value. Sorta a cash receipt that saves from fraud or dupe'n a lottery player.

The self scanners here in WI do show the amount of the win on the ticket.

Badger's avatarBadger

You  are  joking, right?

fja's avatarfja

I hope this person steps forward in a "line-up" and has financial problems later in life!

djklaugh's avatardjklaugh

In Oregon the self scanners only show if the ticket is a winner - ya gotta go see the clerk to find out how much - and any scanner will say if a ticket is a winner but for any ticket worth over $600 if you try to get it validated at a store other than the one you purchased it at ... the validation machine comes back with something like "not verifiable at this location".  Apparently clerks in Oregon are not required to tell the customer they need to go to the store where they purchased the ticket .... some have simply kept such tickets and walked off with the money.  This almost happened to me once - the clerk said something like "it's worthless" and went to throw it in the trash ... and was quite POed when I insisted on having the ticket back. I checked it again where I purchased it ... twas worth $1900! This happened early on in my lottery ticket purchasing career and now I always check my numbers on line or in the newspaper first.  And I know to go to place of purchase :)   

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

Quote: Originally posted by djklaugh on Sep 12, 2007

In Oregon the self scanners only show if the ticket is a winner - ya gotta go see the clerk to find out how much - and any scanner will say if a ticket is a winner but for any ticket worth over $600 if you try to get it validated at a store other than the one you purchased it at ... the validation machine comes back with something like "not verifiable at this location".  Apparently clerks in Oregon are not required to tell the customer they need to go to the store where they purchased the ticket .... some have simply kept such tickets and walked off with the money.  This almost happened to me once - the clerk said something like "it's worthless" and went to throw it in the trash ... and was quite POed when I insisted on having the ticket back. I checked it again where I purchased it ... twas worth $1900! This happened early on in my lottery ticket purchasing career and now I always check my numbers on line or in the newspaper first.  And I know to go to place of purchase :)   

OMG - Did you report him?

Just6ntlc

My ID was named Just6ntlc because I created this ID from the word just. I add the number 6 because I hope WB 6 and Mega 6 will occur in CA SLP. The n just random. The tlc is the band. I hope the winner (man) of the MM ticket pocketed $555K by matching 5/5 won't have financial problems later in life.

fja's avatarfja

Quote: Originally posted by Just6ntlc on Sep 13, 2007

My ID was named Just6ntlc because I created this ID from the word just. I add the number 6 because I hope WB 6 and Mega 6 will occur in CA SLP. The n just random. The tlc is the band. I hope the winner (man) of the MM ticket pocketed $555K by matching 5/5 won't have financial problems later in life.

Bed

Thinking of...

(in my best Charlie Brown voice)     "Good Grief !!!"

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story