Tenn. lawmakers trying to force lottery to switch back to real draws

Jan 12, 2008, 11:18 am (27 comments)

Tennessee Lottery

Bills filed in legislature; supported by Senate and House leadership

The Tennessee state legislature may force the state lottery to return to using numbered balls to select winners for the Cash 3 and Cash 4 games.

Legislative leaders have expressed concern about the lottery's switch to computerized drawings, especially after a computer glitch last year.

Sen. Bill Ketron, R-Murfreesboro, and Rep. Jason Mumpower, R-Bristol, the House's minority leader, have filed bills to require the lottery to use numbered balls, not computers, to draw winning numbers.

House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh, D-Covington, and Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey, R-Blountville, back the effort.

"If the balls dropping gives the people a better comfort level that it's being run right, then I think that's where we ought to go," Naifeh said last week. He's not convinced by the lottery's argument that it would cost $5.5 million to return to the pingpong ball drawings. "I don't understand that," Naifeh said.

The lottery's random-number-generating computers malfunctioned last summer, rendering them incapable of drawing repeating digits as winners in the Cash 3 and Cash 4 games. The problem wasn't discovered for several weeks.

Gov. Phil Bredesen told The Tennessean on Friday that he won't resist efforts by the legislature to return to numbered balls for lottery drawings, although he believes public confidence remains high in the computerized system.

Tennessean

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

give us our balls back!!Green laugh...lottery balls that is...

littlejsing's avatarlittlejsing

Great to read this!! There's no way it would cost 5.5 million to go back to the ball drawings.  As for the glitch, I believe they will find one now if they looked.  Strange things with the pick 3 for a few months now!! Paul-Hargrove needs to go!!!Sulk Off

tnlotto1's avatartnlotto1

bring back the ball drawings

tntea's avatartntea

This is great news to read.... Not as good as reading that the vtrac result/search engine was ready here at the LP... but still great news indeed.

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

Bananayeaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

four4me

This is good news for Tennesseans everyone there should write, email or call their representatives. Sen. Bill Ketron, R-Murfreesboro, and Rep. Jason Mumpower, R-Bristol, let them know you are for the ball drawings and against the computer generated drawings. If you stop pushing the issue then most likely they will have a difficult time bantering with Hargrove.

Whats important here is governor Phil Bredesen know what he believes isn't quite accurate about the peoples/players confidence concerning the computerized system. Send him a message as well that the players want the computerized drawings done away with indefinitely. And restore the televised ball drawings.

The general public might not care one way or the other it's the players who must make him realize that ball drawings are the players choice and that choice should have been up to the players not Hargrove or her staff. 

four4me

Petition

Petition to return to ball drawings.

We the people of Tennessee would like very much that the Governor and elected officials of our state. Petition Rebecca Hargrove the lottery director of the state of Tennessee and it‘s staff. To re implement the ball drawings and do away with the computerized drawings for pick 3/4/5 games. Signed herein

Name                                                        Address

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vastine28

Quote: Originally posted by littlejsing on Jan 12, 2008

Great to read this!! There's no way it would cost 5.5 million to go back to the ball drawings.  As for the glitch, I believe they will find one now if they looked.  Strange things with the pick 3 for a few months now!! Paul-Hargrove needs to go!!!Sulk Off

I agree --- Paul-Hargrove needs to go ! ! !

IMGONNAWIN

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!Hurray!

Good luck to all who play.

IMGONNAWIN......SOON!!!

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

Who the Sam-Hill is Paul Hargrove???????

tntea's avatartntea

Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on Jan 12, 2008

The woman who took away our balls.

four4me

Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on Jan 12, 2008

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by tntea on Jan 12, 2008

Just U wait til dat woman hear's

HILL is going to give us.....BALL's !!!!

& Happy Day's & Nite's

AGAIN...& AGAIN & AGAIN>>

PartyPartyLet It All OutBananaLet It All Out       LOL

PSYKOMO 

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

Quote: Originally posted by tntea on Jan 12, 2008

I knew about Rebecca, but not Paul. Maybe she don't know which way to Swiiiiiiiiiiinnnnng....!

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on Jan 12, 2008

Just U wait til dat woman hear's

HILL is going to give us.....BALL's !!!!

& Happy Day's & Nite's

AGAIN...& AGAIN & AGAIN>>

PartyPartyLet It All OutBananaLet It All Out       LOL

PSYKOMO 

But, and there is alway's a BUTT

OUT there>>>>>SOMEWHERE ????????????????

you may want to talk to and make

sure that "YOU" are healthy and

HAVE YOUR:

DOCTOR's>>>>>

APPROVAL>>>>>

before...making a RASH decision!!

LOL>>>>>>Let It All OutBananaLet It All Out.................................Lovies

PSYKOMO 

KyMystikal's avatarKyMystikal

Looking at that pic on here bio I am forced to agree with your remark MADDOG10

flat creek*kid

just watched the news i hope the balls come back also.   this is one time i am glad to see the

government step in and help out.  i will not play anymore 3 or 4 tennessee lottery unitl they fix

this.  good luck  to all.  kid

konane's avatarkonane

Never underestimate how much damage control Rebecca Paul Hargrove has been doing to prove her bulldozing computer draws through was the perfect decision because it generates more money.

Write, call, email your lawmakers and let your voices be heard loud and clear.  Keep after it again and again and again until you get ball drawings back for good!!!!!! 

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

All lotteries that want to respect their players need to have mechanical ball drawings that are televised or at least make the drawing video available on the internet. I can't see why lotteries don't see that. I think the Lotterypost's grading method is a fine example of those lotteries that want to respect their players and those who don't.

Tnplayer805's avatarTnplayer805

If they switch back to ball drawings I would "bet" that sales would increase for Cash 3, Cash 4, and lotto 5.  I could start playing Lotto 5 again.  Hard to believe that game was voted one of the best in the country here on LP a while back.  It went down the poop hole on July 28, 2007.  However, we can still bring back a good game if the appropriate actions are taken.  I support these guys!  Bring it back!

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by Tnplayer805 on Jan 13, 2008

If they switch back to ball drawings I would "bet" that sales would increase for Cash 3, Cash 4, and lotto 5.  I could start playing Lotto 5 again.  Hard to believe that game was voted one of the best in the country here on LP a while back.  It went down the poop hole on July 28, 2007.  However, we can still bring back a good game if the appropriate actions are taken.  I support these guys!  Bring it back!

have no "FEAR"<<

HILL will solve...all

problem's (FRANCE & BRITON)

.............CAUSE ENGLAND has forgootton how to smeel their OWN name)

vote for>>CHANGE<<CHANGE!

PSYKO 

vanlou

I was happy to read that the Tennessee legislature has introduced a bill to bring back the ball system.  I think Rebecca Hargrove should be fired immediately.  I live in Alabama and I have stopped playing the Tenn. Lottery and started driving back to Georgia to play their lottery because I can trust their lottery system. 

I'm glad you're returning to the ball system so I don't have to drive so far to play an honest lottery game. 

I have a question though, how come the Tenn. Legislature can't order the ball system be returned without having to get permission from Rebecca Hargove?

Drum

jansimply

When there is a problem, it is kept secret.  Stealing the players money is going on more than you think.  Rebecca Hargrove and our politicians are covering this up because they would loose millions of dollars.  There is the biggest cover-up going on with all the computerized games, especially powerball.  They choose which numbers will be picked, when, and where.  They choose the demographics when they get ready.  What is random about that.  Random to their choosing.  If they want the winner to be in Philidelpia this week, next week, or maybe the next.  It all depends on how much money they have ripped off the public.  Then and only then do they choose which state it according to their standards is to be won in.  So, what are the chances they will pick your state, your town, or your community.  It makes the odds even greater not to win than it already is.  Tennessee hasn't been to their choosing yet.  There must not be as much money raised in Tennessee to award them that privilege.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by jansimply on Jan 14, 2008

When there is a problem, it is kept secret.  Stealing the players money is going on more than you think.  Rebecca Hargrove and our politicians are covering this up because they would loose millions of dollars.  There is the biggest cover-up going on with all the computerized games, especially powerball.  They choose which numbers will be picked, when, and where.  They choose the demographics when they get ready.  What is random about that.  Random to their choosing.  If they want the winner to be in Philidelpia this week, next week, or maybe the next.  It all depends on how much money they have ripped off the public.  Then and only then do they choose which state it according to their standards is to be won in.  So, what are the chances they will pick your state, your town, or your community.  It makes the odds even greater not to win than it already is.  Tennessee hasn't been to their choosing yet.  There must not be as much money raised in Tennessee to award them that privilege.

The main flaw in your logic is that Powerball is the one game that is NOT computerized.  If there is a game that has shown integrity through the years, it is Powerball.

Powerball is not run by the Tennessee Lottery.  It is run by the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) in Urbandale, Iowa, and is the oldest multi-state game in the United States.

For all I know you may be right about the Tennessee in-state games, like Pick 3, 4, and 5.  But not Powerball.

JimmySand9

Quote: Originally posted by Tnplayer805 on Jan 13, 2008

It was voted the best game in America in that poll. And even then I couldn't understand why.

JimmySand9

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 14, 2008

The main flaw in your logic is that Powerball is the one game that is NOT computerized.  If there is a game that has shown integrity through the years, it is Powerball.

Powerball is not run by the Tennessee Lottery.  It is run by the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) in Urbandale, Iowa, and is the oldest multi-state game in the United States.

For all I know you may be right about the Tennessee in-state games, like Pick 3, 4, and 5.  But not Powerball.

Technically, Tri-State Megabucks is the first ever multi-state game.

GASMETERGUY

I, for one, am pleased to find there are a few honest elected officials within our state government.  These people have the best interests of all Tennesseans in the forefront of their minds.  Thanks for your efforts in bringing back the balls.

I always said, beginning the moment Steve Cohen introduced legislation to bring a lottory to Tennessee, that Tennessee will get a lottory the moment policticians find a way to skim money from it.  Once we got the lottory I have waited for the scandal to erupt. 
When Hargrove went to cartoons, I figured the politicians finally found a way to milk the lottory and a scandal would not be too far off. 

So the way I figure it now, those in the legialature who voted "NO" to bringing back the balls will be the ones who are stealing the lotto money.  I can't wait to see who votes "NO" on this one.

For those interested, go to the web site.  Click on "WINNERS".  All you will find there are the people who won with scratch and sniff.  Where are the Cash 5 winners?  Do Cash 5 winners get to be anonymous?  Or should their names and photos be published, would some investigative reporter find a link between these winners and some elected official?  My vote is on the latter.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story