'Most dangerous' sex offender wins $10M lottery jackpot

Feb 10, 2008, 9:15 pm (32 comments)

Massachusetts Lottery

A convicted Level 3 sex offender has won $10 million in the Massachusetts State Lottery.

The Worcester Gazette & Telegram reports 56-year-old Daniel Snay, of Uxbridge, could now face charges because he failed to notify authorities that he had moved, according to Connecticut State Police.

"I'm flabbergasted," Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance told the Telegram. "His whereabouts, until you told me about this, have been unknown to us. But I guess you could say he's very fortunate."

Snay works driving trucks for a yacht dealership in Mendon. He won the $10 million from a $20 scratch ticket purchased at Cumberland Farms in Hopedale.

But the lottery winnings also come with unwanted publicity.

"He was concerned, but there's not much you can do about it," said Snay's lawyer Joseph M. Fabricotti. "We talked about it and he understood this was one of the repercussions that could happen."

Snay's record of sexual assaults dates back to 1974. He has been convicted six times of indecent assault and battery in Massachusetts. Level 3 offenders are considered the most dangerous and the most likely to commit another crime.

Boston Channel

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

Litebets27's avatarLitebets27

OK, explain to me how a six time convicted sex offender, considered a level 3 offender, whom is the most dangerous and most-likely to commit the same crime or similar assults is out and about and unaccounted for. Nevermiind winning a big jackpot. Now he can get and pay for a big expensive money hunger, immoral law to get him off of the now pending charges of failure to register or alert authories of his were abouts.

litebets

lottocalgal's avatarlottocalgal

Quote: Originally posted by Litebets27 on Feb 10, 2008

OK, explain to me how a six time convicted sex offender, considered a level 3 offender, whom is the most dangerous and most-likely to commit the same crime or similar assults is out and about and unaccounted for. Nevermiind winning a big jackpot. Now he can get and pay for a big expensive money hunger, immoral law to get him off of the now pending charges of failure to register or alert authories of his were abouts.

litebets

Litebets,

I'm with you. What ever happened to the laws of Karma?  Talk about not deserving to win the lottery.  And this fool was convicted of this attrosity  today.  How can that be?  And now he can pay for a new existance, disappear and continue this evil. This  makes me want to just.... ugh!Mad

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

HAHAHAHA!!!! Again, what is life and the lottery coming to? Just goes to show you that luck is luck, and the lottery plays no favorites. OR does it? Skeptical u have all these great people out there that are dirt poor and suffering, and then this moron hits it. Go figure. Perhaps money is the root of all evil...

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Quote: Originally posted by sirbrad on Feb 11, 2008

HAHAHAHA!!!! Again, what is life and the lottery coming to? Just goes to show you that luck is luck, and the lottery plays no favorites. OR does it? Skeptical u have all these great people out there that are dirt poor and suffering, and then this moron hits it. Go figure. Perhaps money is the root of all evil...

As you probably know, that's not the exact verse from the Bible.  It's the "love" of money that is evil, not money.  Money is like anything else people acquire.   The same things that save lives also destroy them.

Sounds as if he violated probation by crossing the state line without notifying the authorities, which is usually a punishable offense.  I hope his victims learn about his new fortune and sue him. 

bobby jones's avatarbobby jones

i for one hope that all of his victims find out that he won all of this money and sue him for every penny of it.

he has caused pain and suffering to others, and although they cant get back what he took from them

emotionally they can now get some form of restitution.

nanolike's avatarnanolike

I dont know why everyone thinks that they are better than anyone else here. Were all a bunch of sinners!

I recall a quote Christ said once concerning a tower that had fallen upon 18 men and killed them in his time. He said, "Do you think that those 18 men that the tower fell upon were any greater sinners than anyone else. I tell you na, but unless you repent you will all likewise perish!"

God has no favorites, we are all his offspring, the man randomly won. Get off your high horse! God has nothing to do with it! Why would Bill Gates be so fortunate over the next person. Some times in life it only takes one or two simple events to occure for anyones life to turn around and have success come their way. An actor or actress who wins the audition in a simple commercial who ends up becoming a superstar. Meg Ryan had no intentions on being a superstar celebrity, she basically auditioned for a commercial to help raise some cash to help her through schooling for journalism, yet that one commercial ends up leading to something more and the next thing you know, the rest is history, she had no intention on ever becoming an actress, The point is; He simply purchased a scratch ticket, nothing more than that! Because he is a sex offender does this mean the laws of randomness dont apply to him. I think not!

It could happen to anyone anytime anywhere!

Follow your hunches people.

Each day has its own instructions for that day alone.

And please get over yourself thinking you deserve a jackpot win over the next guy because, YOU DONT!

Quote: Originally posted by bobby jones on Feb 11, 2008

i for one hope that all of his victims find out that he won all of this money and sue him for every penny of it.

he has caused pain and suffering to others, and although they cant get back what he took from them

emotionally they can now get some form of restitution.

I agree 100%

Or maybe he'll have a heart to impart some of the fortune upon them without being sued. That would speak volumes.

Although doing so would then in fact be admitting guilt. And living in the day and age of plee bargins some do take the plee bargin even though they are innocent.  Yet this is probably not the case. So it would be a nice thing to impart some fortune upon his victims.

And This leads us to an interesting question; "Would you take a million dollars from a class 3 sex offender if it were given to you?"

Maybe he could start a program to help other sex offenders get over their sickness. Or maybe start a program to help and aid families who have been a victims of this sickness and crime find SOME recovery and healing. That would be cool!Smile

We'll see?

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

this is exactly what I would like to do to him. This is me------>Hit With Stick<---------this is him.

I hope the vicitms sue.

lmatlaw

There ought to be a law on the book in every state that convicted criminals or those in trouble with the law like this guy cannot collect lottery winings. Their background could be easily checked at the time they present their winning ticket. 

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

It is bad, but the lottery doesn't see someones past or who they are. It's a game of chance. Anyone who plays, even scum has a chance to win if they play.

gopher07

i think all states should pass a law if a person wins the lottery the courts can contact all victims of sex crimes and any other serious crimes... taking a persons life in a moter vehicle  .....bad debts dont  applyin this new law.

DoubleDown

"Most Dangerous sex offender"

Is there any other kind ?

lmatlaw

For major jackpots they have to go to a state lottery office or something similar. Background checks could be done at that time. Obviously anybody can buy a ticket.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Feb 11, 2008

It is bad, but the lottery doesn't see someones past or who they are. It's a game of chance. Anyone who plays, even scum has a chance to win if they play.

If  states didn't pay the so called undeserving winners (the bad or stupid people), there be no reason for half the people who play lotteries to ever buy a ticket.  The states want everybody money.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Feb 11, 2008

If  states didn't pay the so called undeserving winners (the bad or stupid people), there be no reason for half the people who play lotteries to ever buy a ticket.  The states want everybody money.

I never said "undeserving" people should not be paid. I said anyone who plays whether good or bad has a chance of winning if they by a lottery ticket. I have no idea why you are addressing me with this comment. 

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Feb 11, 2008

As you probably know, that's not the exact verse from the Bible.  It's the "love" of money that is evil, not money.  Money is like anything else people acquire.   The same things that save lives also destroy them.

Sounds as if he violated probation by crossing the state line without notifying the authorities, which is usually a punishable offense.  I hope his victims learn about his new fortune and sue him. 

Yes I do know that, but I could not resist. "Money is not the root of all evil, the lack of it is." -Gene Simmons

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

REMEMBER to keep UR door's &

window's.........LOCKED & don't

talk to stranger's unless YOU KNOW they WON a BIG JACKPOT!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Feb 11, 2008

I never said "undeserving" people should not be paid. I said anyone who plays whether good or bad has a chance of winning if they by a lottery ticket. I have no idea why you are addressing me with this comment. 

I Agree! I was agreeing with your remarks.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Feb 11, 2008

I Agree! I was agreeing with your remarks.

Sorry I read your comment wrong. I didn't realize you were agreeing with me. Blush

Quote: Originally posted by sirbrad on Feb 11, 2008

Yes I do know that, but I could not resist. "Money is not the root of all evil, the lack of it is." -Gene Simmons

Oh, that's a good one!  I like it.  Gene Simmons is a very good with money too. 

nano - I can't even begin to respond to your post.  First of all, I actually feel sorry for sex offenders IF they really have a brain disorder and can't help the sick things they do.  However, it's been medically proven (and the crime statistics prove it too) that these mutants cannot be stopped or cured.  Gee, now he has enough money to move overseas and pay for a 9 year old legally.

Anyway, there is a difference between spiritual forgiveness and wanting justice to be served.  I laugh when people start Bible thumping and haven't a clue.  "It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones."  Luke

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

I personally think he should keep the prize and then his victems can seek financial restitution. If the state takes the prize money his victims will get nothing from the state.

If sex offenders have mental problems or not they should not be allowed back out into the general population if there is any chance that they can reoffend.  

NYSlugger 777's avatarNYSlugger 777

Put him in Jail for life and give the 10million dollars to homeless people

awwcrap's avatarawwcrap

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Feb 11, 2008

I like that idea, several lawsuits pinned againts him---I hope it happens.

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

Now he can ammend all the wrongs he has done.  Payback all the people he has hurt. Maybe God has given him a second chance.  I pray he will do the right thing.

tg636

Quote: Originally posted by lmatlaw on Feb 11, 2008

There ought to be a law on the book in every state that convicted criminals or those in trouble with the law like this guy cannot collect lottery winings. Their background could be easily checked at the time they present their winning ticket. 

I can only say "I didn't win, so who cares who did."  

You can't really make a law about criminals not being able to collect legitimate winnings because they would just hand the ticket to their mother or a pal who would cash it in and slip them money under the table.  They could probably do it to avoid lawsuits if they felt they were going to be sued. 

One interesting thing to me is that he apparently consulted a lawyer before claiming his prize, but  the lawyer did not advise him to pick the money up under an anonymous trust.

I wonder if someone like him could take his $10 million and leave the US for good. That's what I'd be thinking of  doing about now before I got sued. In fact, that would be a better law, that people like him can only get their winnings if they leave the US permanently.

"In fact, that would be a better law, that people like him can only get their winnings if they leave the US"

Huh?  So you don't think children in other countries have the right to be protected?  In other words, if someone won the Canadian Lottery or the Australian Lottery and was a child molester or a murderer, you'd be okay if that person moved next door to you?  Maybe you didn't think about it, but this is a typical American response.  American companies will ship substandard products to Third World countries too. (like pharmaceuticals) After all, those children are probably going to die of poverty and disease anyway, right?

Do I think they should keep his money?  No, and  I didn't see anything in the article saying the Lottery wouldn't pay him.   However, if he violated probation by crossing state lines and will now be in prison, maybe he should pay the taxpayers room & board from his winnings.

rage

wow i guess this just goes to show that with the lottery anybody can win at any given time. my opinion is

this the families of his victims will never see a dime of this money. maybe if they filed civil suits against him

before he won this money then maybe they could claim some of it that way, but if he doesnt have any cases

pending right now and all of the other cases are old i dont see him having to give up any money at all. i just

hope that one day he is caught in the act and is locked up for life. most sex offenders never get cured. its like

it is written in their dna or something. read this news article some years ago about a sex offender was about

to be released from prison and he begged the court to have him castrated so that he wouldnt do it again.i remember

him saying something about all other forms of rehabilitation had failed and that he would strike again if he was

not castrated. says that he couldnt control himself.

It appears to me that the overall mood of this thread is NOT so much that he won the money but rather WHY would he win over ME? Come on ADMIT IT!

I think it might be safe to say some of you, not to mention any names, but some of you feel, deep in your heart because you are a better citizen are more deserving of the cash than he. It just doesnt seem fair to you. RIGHT! RIGHT! ABSOLUTELY!

I think the real question on people's minds when someone who is of this nature wins is WHY would LIFE,FATE, GOD allow a class 3 sex offender to, not only get away with such crimes, but get out of prison to perhaps do the same again, but on TOP of it WIN THE FRIGGIN LOTTERY of $10 million dollars and I have to live a friggin life of poverty and I have done so much more good in this world than he?  AM I RIGHT HERE ! It almosts makes you wonder doesn't it? And it SHOULD make you wonder!

Its not uncommon these days to see the real wicked prosper.  

I for one absolutely grin with glee at the very mention that someone wicked prospered in this world! It goes to show me that life is random! And the BIBLE is true!

You see I for one do not compare myself with others like SOME of you are doing!

I do not count myself any better or worse than anyone else. I simply have my OWN life and my OWN life is what I concern myself with, NOT with some LEVEL 3 SEX OFFENDER. 

I could care a less if he won 800 BILLION dollars!

Unlike some people who I might assume or presume would get down on their knees to have even one 10th of the money he won, NOW that is SICK! GREED! Why cant you be happy with what you have?

I don't give the thing any more thought than needed, WHO FRIGGIN cares, its the lottery!

Let me say that again

ITS THE LOTTERY a game of CHANCE!

Here are some other people who I could care a-less if they win millions,

Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Steven Jobs, The friggin Queen of England, A murderer, a rapist, or a dog thief!

Some are acting like spoiled little envious brats who act like they are better deserving and should have been the winner!  You're not! deal with it! Where did you get such an idea that MORALS have anything to do with winning in a RANDOM chance game? WHERE did friggin morals ever come into play in a game of chance!

GET OVER YOUR SELF!

You have still so much more to learn about life!

The reality and truth of this whole story is this;

NO ONE DESERVES TO WIN MORE THAN THE NEXT! IT COULD BE YOU NEXT! 

The story should show you instead this;

IF a sex offender can win HELL MAYBE I can too!

It should give you HOPE rather than self defeating disillusions about life! and a puffed up ego about yourself. come down to earth people! Its the LOTTERY!

The other day I won $5 on a scratcher and you know what ? NOT FOR one second did I think "Wow you know maybe someone more deserving in this world than me should have won this! Maybe I shouldn't have won! So i took my ticket back up to the counter and got my $5 bucks, i put it back into the scratcher machine got another ticket and PRESTO I won $50 fifty more!

I thought wow! I won $50 cool!

I never thought someone more deserving should have won!

The guy won PERIOD! Maybe one day you will too!

The real sick people are people who somehow have come to a conclusion that they are someone more deserving! NO ONE is more deserving , you should just be lucky you have your health and that you are alive!  That alone is a JACKPOT WIN!

You are a bunch of GAMBLERS and since someone brought up the BIBLE in GOD's eyes no better than the class 3 sex offender! We're all sinners, no sin is greater than the next!

Maybe the guy repented of his sin! Which makes him BETTER in some respects than some who havent repented for their sins!

And since the BIBLE was brought up in this thread I'd like to put something straight!!

NO ONE GOES TO HELL BECAUSE OF THEIR SIN! According to the scripture, it isnt SIN that sends one to hell. its not accepting the one sent from God JESUS CHRIST who according to scripture paid for our sin!!

Take it up with GOD or your CONGRESSMAN if it bothers you so much that a sinner won the lottery! Arent we all sinners! no ones perfect!

If you dont like the fact the the guy won, write your friggin congressman but dont go thinking you are better deserving to win!

YOU're NOT!

And for those of you who somehow have it in your mind that I am being crule, or unjust about the whole thing, I'm not! I am telling you straight out that YOU ARE NO more DESERVING than a rapist,murderer.

The guy did his time and under the USA law has ever friggin right to win! I never saw it writen where a sex offender cant win a game of chance!

WELCOME TO AMERICA PEOPLE the land of the OPPORTUNITY!!

For those who think I am somehow condoning the mans sickness and degenerate behavior, get real, you are WRONG! I would never want what he did to happen to anyone.

I am simply stating a united states legal fact and if you believe in GOD a spiritual scriptural FACT at that!

PERIOD!

Get over your "self assumed good self" You are not all that good! At best AVERAGE! LIKE THE REST OF US!

From the tone of this thread it appears some of you think you are better than the Pope or Mother Teresa!  

You're not!

THE MAN won leave him alone! There is NOTHING ON EARTH YOU CAN DO!

If you do think you are more deserving then why dont you pray for the guy that he might use the money WISELY!

Not like our good rightoious sinless friend Jack Whiteker! Who by the way gave up his marraige for strip joints and high class poker games and more gambling where he leaves 1/2 million dollars in his hummer for someone to break into and steal after his 315 mil win!

Get over your self!

I cant stand people who think they are better deserving!

I love the humble! They dont make a stink about it when someone wins!

And lastly "Hey sex offender I hope you somehow read this and do something good with the money!

Sorry life has been so rotten to you, you were probably molested yourself as a child like most child molesters were or raped who knows! Sorry that happened to you. Hope the money helps you get your life back together!

GOD BLESS YOU!

Nanolike,

I can appreciate your opinions about the article, as I can appreciate others opinions about it even if some seem to be pity pleas. But, you seemed to have missed one important point.

Even if this guy has had a change of heart, repented, moved on with his life as a GOOD GUY, (which I doubt). He did not alert authorities of his move from one place to another as all sex offenders are instructed to do. He is crossing State lines with his job which authorities will have a hard time keeping up with his where abouts and activities which is the whole point of letting a convicted felon out but within arms reach is about. He could be practicing his evil ways any where.

He will probably face charges for this and now has the sort of money some Lawyers look for to work with. And will not hasitate trying to get him off no matter what he was guilty of in the past, present or future.

Secondly, I heard that this is the second convicted felon in his area that has won a large jackpot in a short period of time. I did not hear if the first has abidded by the law or has turned  his life around from a life of crime or not. Mind you, I don't care who wins a jackpot Of any kind. Congrats to them, and good luck on managing their money and not going broke in a short length of time.

I have a problem with Massachussetts and their process of paying out their jackpots. In my State, there is a little investagation that goes on to see if you owe back taxes, child support owed a convicted criminal and so on. Money is paid out after these things are paid out from the monies won and authories are notified of the winnings. It seems that Massacusetts is somewhat more excepting of their patriots

Get over your self!

You might want to take some of your own advice. Roll Eyes

PrisonerSix

Quote: Originally posted by Litebets27 on Feb 10, 2008

litebets

Good question.  It surprises me some of the people who are out on the street, and some who are in prison.  The man is 56 years old and is record goes back to 1974, which would have made him around 22 years old at the time of his first convicted offense.  At one time, the courts weren't all that tough on sex offenders, there weren't the long sentences, registration, etc., and in fact, many were rarely convicted because it's often a case of one person's word against another with no witnesses, physical evidence, etc. 

Since he violated the rules of registration, he's in alot of trouble now so who knows, he may end up going back to jail but with the lawyers he can afford, he'll probably just get a fine and a slap on the wrist at most. 

In many states, it's perfectly legal to claim a lottery prize using a corporation, trust, etc.  If he had done this instead of claiming it under his own name, they wouldn't have been any the wiser.

Quote: Originally posted by PrisonerSix on Feb 16, 2008

Good question.  It surprises me some of the people who are out on the street, and some who are in prison.  The man is 56 years old and is record goes back to 1974, which would have made him around 22 years old at the time of his first convicted offense.  At one time, the courts weren't all that tough on sex offenders, there weren't the long sentences, registration, etc., and in fact, many were rarely convicted because it's often a case of one person's word against another with no witnesses, physical evidence, etc. 

Since he violated the rules of registration, he's in alot of trouble now so who knows, he may end up going back to jail but with the lawyers he can afford, he'll probably just get a fine and a slap on the wrist at most. 

In many states, it's perfectly legal to claim a lottery prize using a corporation, trust, etc.  If he had done this instead of claiming it under his own name, they wouldn't have been any the wiser.

I Agree! with you 100%. I wasn't thinking about the historic habits of the justice system and it's attitude towards his chose of crimes to commit. Thanks for your enlightening response PrisonerSix.

litebets

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story