$270 Million: Mega Millions lottery jackpot raised again

Feb 20, 2008, 2:41 am (60 comments)

Mega Millions

The jackpot in the multi-state Mega Millions lottery game was increased to a whopping $270 million Wednesday, when all the tickets sold for the Tuesday night drawing failed to win the top prize.

A Mega Millions lottery ticket wins the jackpot by matching all five lotto numbers plus the Mega Ball.  The next drawing will be Friday.

There were 15 second-prize winners from Tuesday night's drawing: 1 from California, 1 from Georgia, 1 from Maryland, 1 from Massachusetts, 2 from Michigan, 3 from New York, 1 from Ohio, 4 from Texas, and 1 from Washington.  Each second prize ticket matched all five lotto numbers but not the Mega Ball number to win $250,000.

California Mega Millions winners receive different amounts, based upon the number of tickets sold and the number of winners in each prize category.  California prize amounts for the Tuesday night drawing will be posted at the USA Mega web site after the amounts are announced by the California Lottery. (http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-drawing.asp?d=2/19/2008)

Also, 85 tickets matched four of the five lotto numbers, plus the Mega Ball number. Those tickets are each worth $10,000.

The winning numbers from Tuesday's drawing were: 1, 38, 42, 55 and 56. The Mega Ball number was 34.

The Texas Megaplier was 4.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

Bagent's avatarBagent

Well, it looks like it's time to go across the Columbia river and buy some MM tickets

s5thomps's avatars5thomps

Looks like I will have to make history and be the first Alaskan to win the Mega Millions!Cheers

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by s5thomps on Feb 20, 2008

Looks like I will have to make history and be the first Alaskan to win the Mega Millions!Cheers

me -> Hit With Stick <-s5thomps

I swear @ times thars a conspiracy to never let it hit in Virginia not even foe the smaller $250k and $10k prizes  Roll Eyes

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

Time for an Ohio winner again.Evil Looking

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by s5thomps on Feb 20, 2008

Actually, it would be neat to see an Alaskan win a huge jackpot. 

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Feb 20, 2008

Actually, it would be neat to see an Alaskan win a huge jackpot. 

That would be difficult, seeing as they don't even have a state lottery in Alaska, let alone Mega Millions!

dumars798's avatardumars798

270 million

Shocked....WOW

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Feb 20, 2008

That would be difficult, seeing as they don't even have a state lottery in Alaska, let alone Mega Millions!

Oops, I didn't know that. LOL

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

it would be nice to see a 300mill jackpot this year

spy153's avatarspy153

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 20, 2008

me -> Hit With Stick <-s5thomps

I swear @ times thars a conspiracy to never let it hit in Virginia not even foe the smaller $250k and $10k prizes  Roll Eyes

I would like to see a virginia winner as well..... as long as it was me.  Yes Nod

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by jeffrey on Feb 20, 2008

Time for an Ohio winner again.Evil Looking

I Agree!  I will be contributing $20 to the cause and hoping it return more than $2-$3. Wink

Omniscient's avatarOmniscient

That sure is alot of money,$270 Mil. I'd take the lump sum, maybe like 130 million after taxes and take 10 percent off the top for myself and invest the other 90% and just let it grow in a $billion$ within the next 10-15 years and live off the interest for the rest of my life. The 10%, $13 Mil, will be plenty to live off while the rest of the nest egg grows with compounding interest.

But knowing my luck, I'd only win a free ticket... sigh... it's nice to dream I guess. Yawn <-- yawn ..ok,ok...I'm awake now... back to work... 'I owe, I owe and off to work I go..(whistles)'

Unreasonable

The 270 is a lot of money.  Here in Jersey its $123,000,000 after taxes.  Since i already know its mine I plan on investing $100 mil, giving away about 10 to 13 mil, spending the other 10 mil on a nicer house and toys, and then just look for other investments as a full time job.  Full time means when I am not on vacation most of the year.

Even invested in something reasonably safe like municipal bonds will give a return of 4.5 to 6.5 percent without taxes.  thats 4.5 to 6.5 mil a year.  plenty for me and the family.

Buy the way, I know I am winning this because I had two dreams this week.  the first one I was given the 4th and 5th number along with the mega ball number.  I woke up and thought "thats great, but what about the other 3 numbers?"   That night I had another dream and was given the first three numbers.  So now I have all 6 numbers and you know I will be playing them today!!! 

spy153's avatarspy153

Quote: Originally posted by Omniscient on Feb 20, 2008

That sure is alot of money,$270 Mil. I'd take the lump sum, maybe like 130 million after taxes and take 10 percent off the top for myself and invest the other 90% and just let it grow in a $billion$ within the next 10-15 years and live off the interest for the rest of my life. The 10%, $13 Mil, will be plenty to live off while the rest of the nest egg grows with compounding interest.

But knowing my luck, I'd only win a free ticket... sigh... it's nice to dream I guess. Yawn <-- yawn ..ok,ok...I'm awake now... back to work... 'I owe, I owe and off to work I go..(whistles)'

'I owe, I owe and off to work I go..(whistles)'

Green laughI'd like to see you at a party!

Omniscient's avatarOmniscient

Quote: Originally posted by spy153 on Feb 20, 2008

'I owe, I owe and off to work I go..(whistles)'

Green laughI'd like to see you at a party!

Everyone loves a party! Especially me! woohoo

PartyPartyGuitarCheers Thumbs Up

LOL

Muuust ...Wiiiiiin..the... Lottoooo...

Omniscient

Captain Lotto's avatarCaptain Lotto

Powerball is $100 million.  What's that, chump change? 

Todd's avatarTodd

A few comments:

• Did you all see the sweet second prize that the California 5+0 winner got?  If not, you should check out the USA Mega drawing information page. I really like those parimutuel prizes in California (at least for the higher tiers). Sometimes the winners don't get as much, but they also have a shot at a much higher amount, as happened last night.
  • Hopefully those looking for after-tax amounts are checking out the Jackpot Analysis page.  Don't guess how much you'd get — look it up!
  • For those who don't live in or close to a Mega Millions state, Capt Lotto nicely reminded you about the "consolation prize" available with Powerball.  You can check out the after-tax Powerball amounts for the $100 million jackpot on the Powerball Jackpot Analysis page.  (Which even provides a year-by-year analysis of Powerball's annually-increasing annuity payout.)
One2Adore's avatarOne2Adore

A few comments:

• Did you all see the sweet second prize that the California 5+0 winner got?  If not, you should check out the USA Mega drawing information page. I really like those parimutuel prizes in California (at least for the higher tiers). Sometimes the winners don't get as much, but they also have a shot at a much higher amount, as happened last night.
  • Hopefully those looking for after-tax amounts are checking out the Jackpot Analysis page.  Don't guess how much you'd get — look it up!
  • For those who don't live in or close to a Mega Millions state, Capt Lotto nicely reminded you about the "consolation prize" available with Powerball.  You can check out the after-tax Powerball amounts for the $100 million jackpot on the Powerball Jackpot Analysis page.  (Which even provides a year-by-year analysis of Powerball's annually-increasing annuity payout.)

Todd,  Lotto Guru that you are...

I have a question that you may or may not be able to answer for me.  If three people contribute money to buy lottery tickets, can they split the winnings based on how much they contributed?  For example, a friend contributes $2, my husband and I contribute $4 each to make a purchase of 10 dollars worth of tickets.  Can we then split the winnings 20-40-40?

Thanks!

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by One2Adore on Feb 20, 2008

Todd,  Lotto Guru that you are...

I have a question that you may or may not be able to answer for me.  If three people contribute money to buy lottery tickets, can they split the winnings based on how much they contributed?  For example, a friend contributes $2, my husband and I contribute $4 each to make a purchase of 10 dollars worth of tickets.  Can we then split the winnings 20-40-40?

Thanks!

You can agree to split the prize any way you wish, but it must be in writing before the drawing.

If it's only verbal it will likely not hold up in court.

One2Adore's avatarOne2Adore

You can agree to split the prize any way you wish, but it must be in writing before the drawing.

If it's only verbal it will likely not hold up in court.

Thanks, Todd!!

awwcrap's avatarawwcrap

Passing thru illinois,,,bought a 15 dollar dream(multi-draw)Hyperon megamillions. 

Piaceri

Wow! $270,000,000!! That's my lucky number!!  How sweet is it that the Mega Millions just happens to be giving away MY LUCKY NUMBER?!!  Ya'll might as well tear your numbers up now.  I got it in the bag..... Hurray!

Sun Smiley

Btw, the net of taxes figure on the Analysis page is only 25% FIT.  How many of you really believe that the IRS is only going to take 25%?  My guess is 35%, so plan on forking over a few more mill to the Feds.

One question for my Mega Millions tax planning....is lottery winnings subject to FICA/Medicare?

s5thomps's avatars5thomps

Todd, I have a friend in washington state who sends me multi-draws for the mega millions. So YES I do have a chance!

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Feb 21, 2008

Wow! $270,000,000!! That's my lucky number!!  How sweet is it that the Mega Millions just happens to be giving away MY LUCKY NUMBER?!!  Ya'll might as well tear your numbers up now.  I got it in the bag..... Hurray!

Sun Smiley

Btw, the net of taxes figure on the Analysis page is only 25% FIT.  How many of you really believe that the IRS is only going to take 25%?  My guess is 35%, so plan on forking over a few more mill to the Feds.

One question for my Mega Millions tax planning....is lottery winnings subject to FICA/Medicare?

The 25% is accurate.  You may owe additional federal income tax on April 15th, but that largely depends on how you use your money.

Some people get whipped into a frenzy at any suggestion that a jackpot winner may be able to lower their tax bill to a point that they don't owe all that much more on April 15.

Some jackpot winners will end up with a 34% total tax bill.  Some will not.  The creative ones (or the winners who hire creative managers) are usually the latter.

spy153's avatarspy153

Quote: Originally posted by Captain Lotto on Feb 20, 2008

Powerball is $100 million.  What's that, chump change? 

No, It's just that powerball hasn't been a very lucky game for me.  Lately, I have been forced to buy tickets in KY and it has proven very useless for me.  I play it all the time and would love to win that jackpot just as much as the other.  I don't know what is the matter, but I haven't so much as got the powerball right in something close to a year.   Well, Last summer I got some money.  But nothing to crack open a bottle of champagne.  (I would do that even for a few thousand dollars in winnings.  But it's never happened on powerball or mega millions.)

Last night it rolled again and all I got was one number right on all of my tickets.  No money.  No surprise.  I do way better with mega millions.  For instance, I got  1+1 and 0+1  on several tickets for the last 220 million draw.  Not much, I know, but it's winnings.   So I tend to get more excited about that game.

mken32's avatarmken32

Quote: Originally posted by Bagent on Feb 20, 2008

Well, it looks like it's time to go across the Columbia river and buy some MM tickets

I've invaded South Georgia(From Jax FL) to get my winning ticket, I was wondering when I win this on Friday night who want to PARTY LIKE A ROCKSTAR.... I am excited about this I can't wait drive to Savannah and claim my prize or should I form my Dream team before claiming it.. oh well I'll make that decision when I get there 25Feb08  .... will I be the first person on LP to win the JP 270 million wow I am Pump "Party like a Rockstar"

Party  LIKE A RockStar

Unreasonable

I would get things in order BEFORE going to collect the prize.  There are lots of things to consider, are you giving anyone else money?  if so, let them claim their portion so you don't get stuck with their taxes and they won't get stuck with an additional gift tax.

Where are you going to park the money?  They are not going to give you that 3 foot long check and then expect you to cash it at the local bank drive-thru.  Although that would be pretty cool rolling up in a Lamborghini and trying to fit a 3 foot long check for 270 million into the tiny tube so they could cash it.  make sure to tell them "small bills please" 

You need some advice on how to minimize that first years tax burden.  paying taxes is required, but you should never overpay because you did not know some of the options for reducing your tax burden.  Find a decent tax person or investment advisor.   

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by mken32 on Feb 21, 2008

I've invaded South Georgia(From Jax FL) to get my winning ticket, I was wondering when I win this on Friday night who want to PARTY LIKE A ROCKSTAR.... I am excited about this I can't wait drive to Savannah and claim my prize or should I form my Dream team before claiming it.. oh well I'll make that decision when I get there 25Feb08  .... will I be the first person on LP to win the JP 270 million wow I am Pump "Party like a Rockstar"

Party  LIKE A RockStar

If you win, plan on a little bit longer drive. Savannah has a lottery office, but jackpots can only be claimed at the lottery headquarters, in Atlanta.

No big deal if you win....right ?

mken32's avatarmken32

I did some checking and you can claim at any Lottery district office in GA that designated on handling anything over 600.00 and savannah is about two hours vice fours to atlanta ....

Partylike a ROCKStar

mken32's avatarmken32

aah... I'll probably get everything in order before I claim but I have to party like a Rock Star first.... Thank you....DanceParty

jesscbradley

I highly recommend buying "Lottery-Winners' Guide: When It Happens to You" by Shayne Jones

It tells you everything you need to know and think about if you are planning to win or did win the lottery!

BEST BOOK EVER! you can find it on Amazon for like 6 bucks and it's current-2006 publishing date! 

mken32's avatarmken32

Quote: Originally posted by jesscbradley on Feb 21, 2008

I highly recommend buying "Lottery-Winners' Guide: When It Happens to You" by Shayne Jones

It tells you everything you need to know and think about if you are planning to win or did win the lottery!

BEST BOOK EVER! you can find it on Amazon for like 6 bucks and it's current-2006 publishing date! 

Target here I come..

spy153's avatarspy153

oh the things you learn on the internet !  Thanks for the info....  You and Todd both!

Todd's avatarTodd

This is the first post ever by this person.  Makes me wonder why the first post ever is an advertisement for this book (BEST BOOK EVER!, etc.)

spy153's avatarspy153

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Feb 21, 2008

This is the first post ever by this person.  Makes me wonder why the first post ever is an advertisement for this book (BEST BOOK EVER!, etc.)

good point.... good point... It is curious.Blue Thinking

mken32's avatarmken32

I didn't find the book at the nearest target, look like I have to order via amazon..... Todd I notice that too about his first post and the book too.... pretty interesting huh.. I am not going to fight the universe on this.... .....PartyLike  ROCKStar

JWBlue

I have a feeling no one wins tonight.  I think $300 million is the magic number for a winner.

Trained2beRich's avatarTrained2beRich

Yes I want it to pass the 300million threshold.  I think 400 million would be great and my condition of "jackpot fatigue" will be eradicated.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by JWBlue on Feb 22, 2008

I have a feeling no one wins tonight.  I think $300 million is the magic number for a winner.

Whatever happens, $300 million isn't one of the choices,unless  the  $270 million estimate was way, way off. If itrolls (and that  is  the  most likely outcome) it shouldgo to at least 330, and 350  or  so is more likely. Almostyexactly a year ago nobody won the  $275  million drawing, andit went all the way to 390 before sales  stopped. That seemed likean awfully big jump,  but it's  entirely  possible thata  roll will bring it very close to  400 again.

benmas's avatarbenmas

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Feb 22, 2008

Whatever happens, $300 million isn't one of the choices,unless  the  $270 million estimate was way, way off. If itrolls (and that  is  the  most likely outcome) it shouldgo to at least 330, and 350  or  so is more likely. Almostyexactly a year ago nobody won the  $275  million drawing, andit went all the way to 390 before sales  stopped. That seemed likean awfully big jump,  but it's  entirely  possible thata  roll will bring it very close to  400 again.

YES, you are correct that the jump will be big if it rolls...also last august it went 250 to 330....

but i think that we dont have to worry because most likely will be hit tonight

Trained2beRich's avatarTrained2beRich

if the mega ball is even no one will hit. if its odd someone will hit.  I hoping on the even and it will roll to 340 for next tuesday and another even no match to 405 for next Friday with an odd ball.  That's what my 3 elves told me.

Dr Lottery's avatarDr Lottery

Tonight Is The Night!! 270 Million Up For Grabs!!

I hope Someone in Geirgia Hit It Big Tonight and I Hope It Is Yours Truly !!

noahproblem

Quote: Originally posted by Dr Lottery on Feb 22, 2008

Well, you were at least 1/2 right (one winner in Georgia) - hopefully it was you.

spy153's avatarspy153

Quote: Originally posted by Dr Lottery on Feb 22, 2008

Yes, I hope it was someone from here at LP !  I also hope they enjoy the money!  Congrats, whoever it was!Cheers

Maggie-Nolia

The Mega Millions winning ticket was purchased in PORTAL, GEORGIA!!!!   

I did not buy my ticket there.

Congratulations to the winner!! 

Quote: Originally posted by mken32 on Feb 21, 2008

Party  LIKE A RockStar

The winning ticket was from Georgia. Hope ya had some luck!

Rant well who ever the HUMAN TURD is .......  I hope s/he winds up in our collection of funny tales of what NOT to do when ya win the big one Hiding Behind Computer

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

Quote: Originally posted by Maggie-Nolia on Feb 23, 2008

The Mega Millions winning ticket was purchased in PORTAL, GEORGIA!!!!   

I did not buy my ticket there.

Congratulations to the winner!! 

OH>>>>>>>WELL if U kan't winum^^

CONGRATULATEum!

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NEXT TIME!

PSYKOMO 

mken32's avatarmken32

I thought I had a winner till I look at my ticket but only won ten dollars 2 nbrs plus the mega ball boo hoo, I'll be back when the 100 million quest return.....jackpot.... Love to Partylike a RockStar 

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Quote: Originally posted by Trained2beRich on Feb 22, 2008

if the mega ball is even no one will hit. if its odd someone will hit.  I hoping on the even and it will roll to 340 for next tuesday and another even no match to 405 for next Friday with an odd ball.  That's what my 3 elves told me.

Apparently someone in Portal, GA didn't take your advice and played the winning numbers.  Looks like an own pick won.  Nice numbers...nice jackpot...all to one person in PoDunk, GA.  Bet its a farmer who is going to buy more new farm equipment.  Cool.

ezcheff's avatarezcheff

Well like they say every dog has its day , when the time is right and the stars  shine upon you  it will be yours. I believe you will not really get it when you want it . It will always strike when you least expect it because thats how Lady luck works.. Peace   Thumbs Up   

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Heard this on the radio today, lead in to the story was that it was the most exciting thing to happen In Geogia since a peanut farmer became president.

It was a couple that hit and the wife said she played all their grandkid's birthdays.

Portal is a town of 600 and the winners said they're going help everyone in toen that needs it.

When I heard that I thought ut oh, one way or the other we're going to see these people on a future lotto documentary!

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Feb 23, 2008

Heard this on the radio today, lead in to the story was that it was the most exciting thing to happen In Geogia since a peanut farmer became president.

It was a couple that hit and the wife said she played all their grandkid's birthdays.

Portal is a town of 600 and the winners said they're going help everyone in toen that needs it.

When I heard that I thought ut oh, one way or the other we're going to see these people on a future lotto documentary!

If they live that long ... Hope they have a good Neighborhood Watch.   I wouldn't want to stay in a small town after winning that kind of money.  Still, they can do a lot of good.  Even if they give $10,000 to everyone ($6M) they'll still be very wealthy.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Feb 23, 2008

If they live that long ... Hope they have a good Neighborhood Watch.   I wouldn't want to stay in a small town after winning that kind of money.  Still, they can do a lot of good.  Even if they give $10,000 to everyone ($6M) they'll still be very wealthy.

Yeah...when she said "help everyone that needs it" I'm thinking someone that needed a new lawn mower will now "need" a John Deere combine, someone that needed transportation will now "need" a Cadillac Escalade, etc...

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

The winner only spent $2. How lucky can a person be?  I agree he should have kept quiet to plan but with the town population at 600, people would have found out anyway.  Now please move out of there. 

Quote: Originally posted by JackpotWanna on Feb 24, 2008

The winner only spent $2. How lucky can a person be?  I agree he should have kept quiet to plan but with the town population at 600, people would have found out anyway.  Now please move out of there. 

Crazy  I rarely spend more then $2 @ a swat and ..... this idiot wins

I hope they lose thar shirts

crystaltips's avatarcrystaltips

Quote: Originally posted by JackpotWanna on Feb 24, 2008

The winner of £35million Euromillions prize (from Scotland) only spent £1.50 and it was her first time playing.

Some people have all the luck. It's annoying when you spend a little more on tickets because the jackpot is so high and play every week when some woman who has never played before runs off with the prize.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

"Lottery-Winners' Guide: When It Happens to You."

Sounds good but a little short. Still waiting for a huge book, almost encyclopedia like; that covers each detail in great depth. I might write it about a year after I win. 

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I ordered this book, and Infinite Financial Freedom. Maybe I will post a review of them when I am done reading them.

Captain Lotto's avatarCaptain Lotto

Spending more money for tickets doesn't increase your chances much.  100 out of 175,000,000 isn't much better than 5 out of 175,000,000. 

It's all about luck.  Always play within your means, and hope for the best. 

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story