Mega lottery winners to leave 'check-by-check' days

Feb 25, 2008, 4:42 pm (77 comments)

After the Big Win

Day three in the lives of Georgia's newest multi-millionaires began with a round of interviews on Monday morning television shows for the winners of Friday night's $270 million Mega Millions jackpot.

Robert and Tonya Harris were expected to present their winning ticket to Georgia Lottery officials later in the day for validation, but Tonya Harris said early Monday that the couple's family was already plotting ways to spend some of the windfall.

Robert Harris, a 47-year-old iron worker from the small southeast Georgia hamlet of Portal, said he picked the winning numbers — 7, 12, 13, 19, 22, plus the Mega Ball number 10 — based on his grandchildren's birthdays.

At a family dinner over the weekend, those grandchildren began discussing what they wanted from the winnings, Tonya Harris said.

"A dirt bike. Four-wheelers. A Hummer 3, on and on and on," she said in an interview on Fox 5's Good Day Atlanta. "Things you dream about, as far as the Hummer 3's. Still, it just hasn't dawned on us yet that you can just go out and get it."

Tonya Harris said she doesn't want to be changed by the newfound wealth.

"We've really never had a whole lot in life," she said. "We've lived check-by-check. We want to build a home, get some land, do things for the grand babies, maybe travel a little bit. But as far as buying fancy things, that's not us."

Her husband told Fox 5 the one thing he had always wanted that he will now buy is a "big four-wheel drive truck."

Earlier Monday, Tonya Harris told CNN that "God blessed us... God is a good God."

She said the attention is "still just overwhelming to us."

The Harrises plan to have a "good friend" who is a lawyer and CPA set up their finances "for future generations."

"Hopefully, things will go well even after we're gone," she said.

Robert Harris said he plans to take the winnings in a lump sum. According to the Georgia Lottery Corp., that's about $164 million before taxes.

Harris said he and his wife would soon move out of their mobile home, but he wasn't sure they'd move out of town.

The ticket was sold at Clyde's Market on U.S. 80 in Portal, a farming town of about 600 between Statesboro and Swainsboro.

AJC

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

delS

First, I congradulate them for their winnings.  I was hoping it was one family.  I sure wish iy was mine, but Im not hating. 

I know that LP members are just divided on the "anonomity issue" as the country is divided Republican vs. Democrat; or Obama vs. Clinton; male or female.  The fact that they have come out and made the talk show rounds, really starting Sunday, while tax, legal and financial businesses are closed disturbs me for their sake.  Even Lottery officials will tell you to take some time to get credible advice from tax, legal and financial persons. 

$164,000,000 is no chump change.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by delS on Feb 25, 2008

First, I congradulate them for their winnings.  I was hoping it was one family.  I sure wish iy was mine, but Im not hating. 

I know that LP members are just divided on the "anonomity issue" as the country is divided Republican vs. Democrat; or Obama vs. Clinton; male or female.  The fact that they have come out and made the talk show rounds, really starting Sunday, while tax, legal and financial businesses are closed disturbs me for their sake.  Even Lottery officials will tell you to take some time to get credible advice from tax, legal and financial persons. 

$164,000,000 is no chump change.

NADER 4 PRESIDENT 2008 !!!

as for the lucky stiffs .... and thar dreams of a H3 and such nonsense I still say I hope they end up on our list of what not to do when ya get that lucky

mken32's avatarmken32

He's just Mad he didn't win...... hater..

hjones

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 25, 2008

as for the lucky stiffs .... and thar dreams of a H3 and such nonsense I still say I hope they end up on our list of what not to do when ya get that lucky

If Nader becomes president, then America might have to change its name to USSA,

like  the old USSR.  Get the drift? 

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Well I don't hope for their downfall. I hope things work out for them and their family. Why wish bad things on these people?

duckman's avatarduckman

Just think: If Nader would have won that $270 million Mega Millions jackpot he could finance his campaign.

:)

spy153's avatarspy153

Her husband told Fox 5 the one thing he had always wanted that he will now buy is a "big four-wheel drive truck."

My hubby has told me if we win this is what he wants as well.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

"Mega lottery winners to leave 'check-by-check."

Yeah, no crap. God? I doubt it, it is called luck.

SmoothJuice

I don't get it, they said "Thank God, God is a good God".  In the Christian Religion, gambling, like lottery, is a sin.   Winning the lottery is not something you thank God for.

BobP's avatarBobP

Quote: Originally posted by SmoothJuice on Feb 26, 2008

I don't get it, they said "Thank God, God is a good God".  In the Christian Religion, gambling, like lottery, is a sin.   Winning the lottery is not something you thank God for.

Gambling is only a sin if you're betting the rent money leaving your family for the church to care for and don't give 10% of your winnings to the church.  There are some fringes that won't take bingo money and such, one even told a winner to burn their lottery ticket.  God doesn't care if you play lotto, it is a state approved activity.   If you're worried about evil money just send it to me and I will clean it for you.  Be warned though, sometimes the cleaning process also removes all the ink, you might get back white paper.

BobP

BobP's avatarBobP

"Robert Harris, a 47-year-old iron worker from the small southeast Georgia hamlet of Portal, said he picked the winning numbers — 7, 12, 13, 19, 22, plus the Mega Ball number 10 — based on his grandchildren's birthdays."

I gotta say this certainly marks paid to the theory about not playing only birthday numbers because you'll have to share the prize with dozens of other winners.  Everything we know is wrong.

BobP

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

it depends on what their definition of gambling is.....to some, gambling is strictly dice and cards. Besides.....the bible says "In all thy ways acknowledge him". All means the good and the bad and if you would consider this the bad then they still followed his word by giving the Glory to God.

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

Quote: Originally posted by BobP on Feb 26, 2008

Gambling is only a sin if you're betting the rent money leaving your family for the church to care for and don't give 10% of your winnings to the church.  There are some fringes that won't take bingo money and such, one even told a winner to burn their lottery ticket.  God doesn't care if you play lotto, it is a state approved activity.   If you're worried about evil money just send it to me and I will clean it for you.  Be warned though, sometimes the cleaning process also removes all the ink, you might get back white paper.

BobP

Green laugh

spy153's avatarspy153

"Robert Harris, a 47-year-old iron worker from the small southeast Georgia hamlet of Portal, said he picked the winning numbers — 7, 12, 13, 19, 22, plus the Mega Ball number 10 — based on his grandchildren's birthdays."

I gotta say this certainly marks paid to the theory about not playing only birthday numbers because you'll have to share the prize with dozens of other winners.  Everything we know is wrong.

BobP

I Agree!

mymonie's avatarmymonie

For the one's who are posting negative remarks.  Hey can't you just be happy someone who really needs a better way of life finally got a chance at it?  I hope they use it well and buy what they want and help out their famlies.  

fastball 9's avatarfastball 9

More power to them.  Seems like they're regular folks.  I'm sure they're well grounded in family, friends and are good, down to earth people who'll do the best they can with this.  They don't seem like the kind of folks who'll end up like David Edwards, et al.

Does anyone know how much they'll get after taxes?

The fun thing about playing the lottery is the chance to actually win.  I would probably do the same thing; not even think about winning until someone reminded me of it.

Best of luck to them.  I really, really doubt if they'll end up messing the whole win up.

Jack Pot's avatarJack Pot

In your other posts, you called this couple: "idiots", "HUMAN TURDS" and you posted at least a couple of times that you hope they will end up on your list of what not to do when you win the lottery. It is not funny hearsetrax. Do you really think that because you are hiding behind a moniker, the words you write will not condemn you?

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Pot on Feb 26, 2008

In your other posts, you called this couple: "idiots", "HUMAN TURDS" and you posted at least a couple of times that you hope they will end up on your list of what not to do when you win the lottery. It is not funny hearsetrax. Do you really think that because you are hiding behind a moniker, the words you write will not condemn you?

I noticed it to and he comes off as being a bit jealous. Sadly, some people have nothing better to do, then to wish negativity on others. No Nod

konane's avatarkonane

Congratulations to the Harris family, good for them, WTG!!!  Party

Drivedabizness

I would normally not want to start a religious argument but your point is not well founded.

Read Acts (1:26) - the Apostles "drew lots" to divine the will of God in selecting a replacement for Judas Iscariot.

It is Christian doctrine to thank God for his Grace - which is "unmerited favor".  Hopefully the money will turn out to be a blessing to their family and through them, to their community.

tg636

Even if you decide to go public and not use an anonymous trust, why do you have to announce your name to the world the next day, before you've had a chance to think about anything? Would it kill them to think about this for a week and then go public? I guess it would.  The "attention is overwhelming"? No sh*t, Sherlock.  It looks like they are going to the Jack Whittaker school of idiotic lottery winning.   

>Earlier Monday, Tonya Harris told CNN that "God blessed us... God is a good God."

Wow, God wants them to win $270 million. God wants Manny Ramirez to hit a home run too. I guess God wants a few people to be really rich and famous, but is not so concerned with the poor huddled masses these days.                               

BabyJC's avatarBabyJC

Hands down, the best part of this lucky couple's story was the power outage!  Robert drove to the store, filled out his bet slip in his car, went inside and the lottery machine was down due to bad weather/rain.  He went home without playing that very important slip, but asked his wife to go back and play it.  Can you imagine if they didn't pursue it or the wife was too tired or didn't feel like going?  Power outages can really wreck havoc with people's futures/lives - Thank goodness for the Harris' that they didn't let it wreck havoc in theirs!

Trained2beRich's avatarTrained2beRich

i am there with you.  Just as we've learned in the past few months some felons have won various lotto jackpots. 

They will lose it all n 7 years.  Going public before you claim the prize.  oh well...they will have jack whittakitis.

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

Hey Guys,

Has anyone seen the Cruise condo on the travel channel.

I think it would be an good escape after a 270 million jackpot.  See the world in style and privacy. It cost about 2 million but it is worth it.  Just a dream for now.   

mken32's avatarmken32

Cheers

dumars798's avatardumars798

BravoBig money!!! Money 

One2Adore's avatarOne2Adore

You all have to realize that not everyone knows about the downfall of some past lottery winners.  Especially if they don't access the internet or do their research of what to do when you win.  I can bet that all of us on here have done our own research.  I know I have.  Smile.

Quote: Originally posted by One2Adore on Feb 26, 2008

You all have to realize that not everyone knows about the downfall of some past lottery winners.  Especially if they don't access the internet or do their research of what to do when you win.  I can bet that all of us on here have done our own research.  I know I have.  Smile.

I Agree!

Omniscient's avatarOmniscient

BobP

I know that if I ever win a jackpot, I wouldnt give 10% of it to the church. I mean.. Why should I ?!? Is God going to be mad at me if I don't ? The main thing about your religion is that you have faith in it and believe in your own special way. There's no need to give any of it away to the church. All they do is pocket it and give the Vatican most of it and they got more money than they will ever need as it is. When that basket comes around to make a donation, it's like they should have a note on it saying 'Pay for your sins!'(another guilt tactic). It's a big business for some religions...always looking for handouts and making you feel guilty to give money. I believe in God and Jesus and that's all I need to get me into his Kingdom when it's my time. Donations wont get me in, that's for sure! If I were to make any contributions, I'd help the poor people personally by building some homes for them to keep them off the street and out of the cold, or volunteer my time to work in a food kitchen. Most donations don't end up where it's intended except for the back pockets of cons.

All I have to say is Congrats to this family and hope they enjoy their windfall.

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

I personally think these people are morons, and I'm entitled to my opinion. I mean, they won Friday...a few days later they're all over the news. Everyone feels differently about publicity, personally, I'd probably do a few interviews myself and enjoy my 15 minutes, but I do have a problem with how soon they cam forward. I would bet any amount of money that the did not consult with any financial advisors, lawyers, accountants, etc. I don't think you should have to do research to treat over 100 million dollars differently than 100k. And now they're talking about all the things they want to buy...which is great, I just hope they have a plan because yeah it's a lot of money, but it's still spendable. Especially when you have a family who will be knocking on the door in addition to all of the people who just saw them on the news. Poor planning...I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like another E! True Hollywood tragedy!

Madmaxxxx

What difference does it make whether they consulted experts yet.  They are gonna tell them to take the lump sum.  What difference does it make on how soon they come forward?  Geeesh!  This is so much money that they will be able to buy many things without touching principal.  I wish the winners good luck and enjoy it.  i am sure the experts will have been consulted by the time the money rolls around.

AwinaNme

There's nothing in the Christian Bible that states or implies gambling is a sin.  Overindulgence is the sin that is most offen referred to in regards to drinking, eating etc.

One2Adore's avatarOne2Adore

Doesn't the story specifically say something about them having a lawyer or CPA friend that they are in contact with or will be contacting.  They hadn't even turned in the ticket.  So they are still on track to do the right thing.   Right now they are just riding the publicity wave.  And if you don't know better, which a lot of people don't, this can initially appear be really exciting and fun.  Only later when the numerous phone calls and visits to their front door will their tune change. 

But again, those of you complaining about their actions are basically preaching to the choir.  WE know this stuff already, and it's not like the Harris' are going to read our posts and become enlightened.  Yeah, it would be great if everyone who played the lottery read the do's and don'ts of winning a huge jackpot, but that's not gonna happen.

I hope he checks into a hotel because there will a mob of people waiting for him outside his house asking and begging for handouts.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Yeah I guess the rest of us are just not worthy of God's praise yet.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

"Negative" is a matter of personal perception, I see them as factual remarks. Why should I be happy for them? I do not know them from Adam, and I am willing to bet I had a lot worse of a life than they did, especially in the past. Personally I could really care less if they won or not. However I think claiming that God helped them is a little ridiculous, as I am sure there are far more deserving candidates still awaiting "God's" help and not getting crap.

I would rather be honest with how I feel as opposed to throwing "fake" happiness remarks out there. Would they be happy if I won? I doubt it. Apparently God favors felons too, maybe that is the problem here. No, it is all about luck of the draw. There is no rhyme of reason behind it. It is easy to give God credit when "good" people win, but then everyone scratches their head when a sex offender gets $10 million. Then it HAD to be luck right?

Don't worry about it, He doesn't have much time to enjoy it anyway.  Accorrding to the Mayan dooms day event the world is going to end 12.21.2012 .   He was wise to take the cash. lol  Enjoy life and be good to your fellow man.

It would have been cooler if it was 12.21.2112 

Party

Quote: Originally posted by sirbrad on Feb 26, 2008

"Negative" is a matter of personal perception, I see them as factual remarks. Why should I be happy for them? I do not know them from Adam, and I am willing to bet I had a lot worse of a life than they did, especially in the past. Personally I could really care less if they won or not. However I think claiming that God helped them is a little ridiculous, as I am sure there are far more deserving candidates still awaiting "God's" help and not getting crap.

I would rather be honest with how I feel as opposed to throwing "fake" happiness remarks out there. Would they be happy if I won? I doubt it. Apparently God favors felons too, maybe that is the problem here. No, it is all about luck of the draw. There is no rhyme of reason behind it. It is easy to give God credit when "good" people win, but then everyone scratches their head when a sex offender gets $10 million. Then it HAD to be luck right?

And you know that those of us who give others happy remarks are being "fake"? Roll Eyes Go ahead and continue to be negative, jealous and bitter it's your right, but don't assume that you can read the minds and hearts of those of us who are genuinely happy for others when they come into good fortune.

Its called, "Common Grace" where God blesses the Wicked and the good accorrding to his will.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Feb 26, 2008

And you know that those of us who give others happy remarks are being "fake"? Roll Eyes Go ahead and continue to be negative, jealous and bitter it's your right, but don't assume that you can read the minds and hearts of those of us who are genuinely happy for others when they come into good fortune.

Sorry I just call it as I see it. Whether you agree with my opinion or not is irrelevant. Jealous and bitter? Hardly. I am sure though you are just ecstatic about their win, and overjoyed every second of the day. I don't get jealous of what others have, all I care about is what I need personally. Focus on how other idiots blow money on overpriced hummers does not make me bitter it makes me laugh. Their lack of originality also makes me laugh.

colthmn's avatarcolthmn

Quote: Originally posted by One2Adore on Feb 26, 2008

Doesn't the story specifically say something about them having a lawyer or CPA friend that they are in contact with or will be contacting.  They hadn't even turned in the ticket.  So they are still on track to do the right thing.   Right now they are just riding the publicity wave.  And if you don't know better, which a lot of people don't, this can initially appear be really exciting and fun.  Only later when the numerous phone calls and visits to their front door will their tune change. 

But again, those of you complaining about their actions are basically preaching to the choir.  WE know this stuff already, and it's not like the Harris' are going to read our posts and become enlightened.  Yeah, it would be great if everyone who played the lottery read the do's and don'ts of winning a huge jackpot, but that's not gonna happen.

I totally agree, not everyone has access to lottery post as us fortunates, this guy is a working stiff, that means well. He did appear a little troubled at the press conf. I wouldn't have come out so early, actually, I wouldn't have come out at all. I'd be in Beverly Hills Morgan Stanley 2nd day, and by the 3rd day a posh hotel-bar and restaurant downstairs elevator upstairs, Glock in back pocket. That's how I'd roll. No one would know, as they say " I got people".

Sorry I just call it as I see it. Whether you agree with my opinion or not is irrelevant. Jealous and bitter? Hardly. I am sure though you are just ecstatic about their win, and overjoyed every second of the day. I don't get jealous of what others have, all I care about is what I need personally. Focus on how other idiots blow money on overpriced hummers does not make me bitter it makes me laugh. Their lack of originality also makes me laugh.

I'm not ecstatic over their win. I am glad that a nice couple won. Apparently, what others do with their money and how they talk to the press gets you upset. But you go ahead and pretend that these people winning doesn't bother you. LOL It's not like everyone can read your comments and see for themselves how you feel.

tntea's avatartntea

Winning the lottery is the largest dream a person can have other than cures for illnesses.

If your dream is owning a big four wheel truck, by all means work out a way to make that dream come true.  Life is short.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

What is even more humorous is that my so-called "upset" opinion is getting you upset, when these people could care less about either of us. I am not upset, although I may be slightly annoyed when people spend money stupidly because they have no character or intelligence, which seems to be about 90% or more of winners. There have been a lot of other winners besides this believe it or not, I don't care about them either.

But what you seem to fail to realize is, that this is a "discussion board" meant to discuss/debate varying opinions and thoughts, not just those that agree with yours, fake or not. Green laugh

What is even more humorous is that my so-called "upset" opinion is getting you upset, when these people could care less about either of us. I am not upset, although I may be slightly annoyed when people spend money stupidly because they have no character or intelligence, which seems to be about 90% or more of winners. There have been a lot of other winners besides this believe it or not, I don't care about them either.

But what you seem to fail to realize is, that this is a "discussion board" meant to discuss/debate varying opinions and thoughts, not just those that agree with yours, fake or not. Green laugh

Nope not upset at all. Amused. Amused by the fact that you are upset over this couple winning and claiming that your not and trying to act like I'm the one upset. lol.

Green laugh Seems to me that you are the one who "failed to realize" that this is a discussion board. There is no rule that says I must agree with your negative outlook on life or that I must stop commenting, just because you don't like the opposing view. I don't think everyone has to agree with each other, but I can express myself as much as you can. And since this the is a message board, I will continue to "discuss/debate" since you know, that's what this board is for just like you said. lol. LOL

colo2004

I think it's fair to say we have been harsh on this couple. Calling them morons etc. is going too far. They are a little trashy and really naive, but nothing more. Look at the guy; he's worked his ass off all his life and now just wants to provide for his family, is that so bad?

Of course we would all have handled it differently. But this guy doesn't strike me as someone who had his private banker on speed-dail. They probably blew any chance of anonymity within the first 15 mins of discovering they've won.

You can just picture it...  lots of yeehaws, maybe even a few gunshots in the air. I'm sure she ran outside screaming "God is a good God". Well all that commotion woke up Billy Bob nextdoor, who came running over with that I've been hit in the head with a 2x4 expression. Before you know it the whole freakin' town is there, drinking and dancing away. They were screwed from that moment onwards.

So good luck to them. They have won so much that they can afford to make quite a few mistakes, and still have enough left.

Peace.

lottocalgal's avatarlottocalgal

Hey MissNYC

I am going to agree with you on this one.

I don't really agree with the blatant name calling, but in this case it  kinda fits.  This kind of exposure brings out the nuts, scammers, freeloaders and "relatives"  Not wanting this one to become a THS The Curse of The Lottery 2, I will wish them well, and a safe future. (And Yes I mean it)

And NO I am not hating. Do I wish I'd won? Well I can't because I don't regularly play MM.  But I do play the state's lotto regularly and hope I will  win and use sound judgement.

No, I will keep my mouth shut-tight.Forget the 15 minutes of fame, its not worth it.  Like someone said on a previous post "you gotta find me first!"I Agree!

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

I'm not ecstatic over their win. I am glad that a nice couple won. Apparently, what others do with their money and how they talk to the press gets you upset. But you go ahead and pretend that these people winning doesn't bother you. LOL It's not like everyone can read your comments and see for themselves how you feel.

And you know they are a nice couple/good people how? Based on a few articles? Please.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Nope not upset at all. Amused. Amused by the fact that you are upset over this couple winning and claiming that your not and trying to act like I'm the one upset. lol.

Green laugh Seems to me that you are the one who "failed to realize" that this is a discussion board. There is no rule that says I must agree with your negative outlook on life or that I must stop commenting, just because you don't like the opposing view. I don't think everyone has to agree with each other, but I can express myself as much as you can. And since this the is a message board, I will continue to "discuss/debate" since you know, that's what this board is for just like you said. lol. LOL

Again "negative is your misguided perception. Don't agree with it I don't care. You started by quoting my post, not vice-versa. I am not upset as you again failed to interpret. Only slightly annoyed about how stupid people are when it comes to money. Why should I be happy for someone who does not affect my life whatsoever?

Most are not regardless of what they say here. However I think it takes more of a man to step up and say what is really on your mind, as opposed to jumping on the bandwagon of institutionalized mediocrity. That is the easy way out. I hope they blow it all in a few years, and go back to where they were. Never see that posted here much do we? Shook up now? Sorry but I have no intentions of sugar-coating my opinions just so optimists can continue living in their world of delusion.

And you know they are a nice couple/good people how? Based on a few articles? Please.

Can't we all just get along?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. BashBoxingArgueSad CheersParty

Again "negative is your misguided perception. Don't agree with it I don't care. You started by quoting my post, not vice-versa. I am not upset as you again failed to interpret. Only slightly annoyed about how stupid people are when it comes to money. Why should I be happy for someone who does not affect my life whatsoever?

Most are not regardless of what they say here. However I think it takes more of a man to step up and say what is really on your mind, as opposed to jumping on the bandwagon of institutionalized mediocrity. That is the easy way out. I hope they blow it all in a few years, and go back to where they were. Never see that posted here much do we? Shook up now? Sorry but I have no intentions of sugar-coating my opinions just so optimists can continue living in their world of delusion.

Yep you are a real man for stating an opinion that many here share. That's fresh. Sorry, but how did you step up to the plate and not jump on the bandwagon? Lots of people have said that they disagreed with how this couple is handling their win. The difference is, they didn't "man up' an insult those of us posters who actually can be happy when someone wins. You want to be unhappy for them and think they are going to fail fine, but you made it personal with the insult. Remember that comment? or are you trying to say that you didn't say it? And no way did I say you should sugar-coat your opinions, but don't think for a second that everyone has to sit-back and not say anything if they don't agree with you. It's not how it works.

And for the record, I too don't care if you don't agree with me. I'm not trying to get you to change your mind. I'm expressing myself just like you are. 

You said: Why should I be happy for someone who does not affect my life whatsoever?

You don't have to happy, sad, mad, glad, whatever, but if these people don't affect your life, why even get upset at them in the first place? Oh right, this is a message board where we can express happiness for someone or be bitter towards someone. It goes both ways.

Sorry but I have no intentions of sugar-coating my opinions just so optimists can continue living in their world of delusion.

Yeah, you don't sound bitter about life at all. 

(All right backattcha) 

You know that they are going to fail and lose all their money how? You know that that they are complete morons how? Based on a few articles? Please.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

(All right backattcha) 

You know that they are going to fail and lose all their money how? You know that that they are complete morons how? Based on a few articles? Please.

What the heck are you smokin'? Where did I call them morons? I think you are mixing my posts up with MissNYC. Whether it is true or not is yet to be determined. I was starting to wonder why you possess such ignorance, and now I see that you are still new here. You will learn in time, hopefully.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

If you were referring to using the term idiots, it was used "in general." However if someone runs out to buy a Hummer to me they are an idiot simply because I think they are a waste of money, and they are only trying to be like everyone else and get attention. That is my opinion and I stand by it. There are far better things to spend the money on than that. But I guess if they want to be shallow so be it.

What the heck are you smokin'? Where did I call them morons? I think you are mixing my posts up with MissNYC. Whether it is true or not is yet to be determined. I was starting to wonder why you possess such ignorance, and now I see that you are still new here. You will learn in time, hopefully.

You have no idea how long I have really been here. Don't assume that because of the date by my name, that I am some newbie. I am not and even if I was, I would not take learnings from a miserable, negative man such as yourself. Ignorance is bliss isn't it? You must know since you continue to show it with every post you make. Really Sirbrad, it must be awful being such a bitter, old man. Hopefully, you will learn in time to let go of all that anger. Hopefully. I have my doubts however. Keep replying back to my comments and keep making this personal. I don't back down.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Yeah yeah that is what they all say, I have been lurking for years just never signed up yada yada. You seem to be the only one having a major problem with my so-called bittneress. Again you cannot seem to distinguish factual statements and opinions from anger and bitterness. That is your problem not mine. But if you consider early 30's old, you must be about 14. Which would explain all of this.

My main problem was with the God thing as I already explained. But last I checked we were all supposedly equal in God's eyes. So I guess that throws good deeds/good people being rewarded out the window.

With that, I am done bickering with you.

Hey SirBrad

I have to give it to you on this post.  YEAH I GOT PISSED WHEN I heard that sex offender won.  It makes it wonder "Why doesn't  God bless me? Im not as bad as this slug!  But then it helped me  because  it did confirm that if he could win  then so can I.  But.....

Please forgive me if I pray to win the lottery and give God thanks for letting me win $100 on a scratcher.  And  Do you think people say congrats just for the sake of saying? Sometimes it's just habit to say that.  What are people going to say instead? I mean,  I only wish that they won't continue to be stupid (My opinion on their going public so early sorry)  But if they do, you're right.  I will never be affected one way or the other. EXCEPT I get to add to my DVD collection of my favorite Lottery Shows.  Sorry, I like the bad stories where they blow it- just like tabloid journalism, the responsible heartwarming stuff is not as fun to watch.  AND No ScaryChick ( If you read this) I don't wish them bad luck,  but Its fun to watch when they do,  It makes me think " See God, you picked the wrong  person to win this time,  I promise I won't be like that.  Let me proove to you that i won't be that stupid."

The one thing we can all agree on is that nomatter how comfortable we feel about our systems and strategies,  IT MAY JUST BE LUCK, SIMPLE, BLIND, RANDOM, LUCK, because  with these new winners  almost never playing,  played low numbers, birthdays no doubt and didn't have to share  blows our systems out the door.  Go figure.

Yeah yeah that is what they all say, I have been lurking for years just never signed up yada yada. You seem to be the only one having a major problem with my so-called bittneress. Again you cannot seem to distinguish factual statements and opinions from anger and bitterness. That is your problem not mine. But if you consider early 30's old, you must be about 14. Which would explain all of this.

My main problem was with the God thing as I already explained. But last I checked we were all supposedly equal in God's eyes. So I guess that throws good deeds/good people being rewarded out the window.

Frankly, I don't care if you believe me or not. My world won't crumble if you don't. You' have proven to be an angry person and not just on this thread, but like I said continue to fain ignorance. And the fact that you are 30 something instead of an older man makes no difference to me.

And about the whole God thing, I never even mentioned that. This all basically started when you brought up the fact that you considered yourself a "man" for expressing anger sentiments and for keeing it "real" while us posters who said anything nice meant we were being fake. But continue to act like you didn't say that.

Yeah, we'll see. 

Sorry, I like the bad stories where they blow it- just like tabloidjournalism, the responsible heartwarming stuff is not as fun to watch. AND No ScaryChick ( If you read this) I don't wish them bad luck,  butIts fun to watch when they do,  It makes me think " See God, you pickedthe wrong  person to win this time,  I promise I won't be like that. Let me proove to you that i won't be that stupid."

lottocalgirl I don't think you were wishing them bad luck and really if other people want to that is fine, what's annoying is for some people to say that others who express joy are being fake. AIt seems some people think that only negative comments should to be allowed because those are "real" thoughts.

Quote: Originally posted by JackpotWanna on Feb 26, 2008

Hey Guys,

Has anyone seen the Cruise condo on the travel channel.

I think it would be an good escape after a 270 million jackpot.  See the world in style and privacy. It cost about 2 million but it is worth it.  Just a dream for now.   

JW,

Promise me WHEN you win you won't be wasting  any money on a $2million cruise condo thingy.  I don't want to read on LP that you are the next TLC or THS lottery horror story. Talk about whittackeritis. NOOOOOOOOOOO!No Nod

Quote: Originally posted by lottocalgal on Feb 26, 2008

JW,

Promise me WHEN you win you won't be wasting  any money on a $2million cruise condo thingy.  I don't want to read on LP that you are the next TLC or THS lottery horror story. Talk about whittackeritis. NOOOOOOOOOOO!No Nod

lol. Don't worry cause I will never win.  I saw the program on the travel channel and it was cool.

Wake up in France, have lunch in England and have dinner in Denmark. What a life it would be.

Party 

gonnawinwatchme's avatargonnawinwatchme

I'll be the first to admit that as soon as I heard this couple won I was jealous.  If I wasn't, why would I be in this forum?  :)

BUT, after watching them on their countless interviews, I have to say that they seem like a hard working couple and I'm glad that someone that works so hard FINALLY won.  The guy looks like he busts his butt for his grandkids, kids, and wife.  Congrats to them!

On a side note, I had no clue that the MM was that high.  I live about 20 minutes from the border of Illinois and, had I known, I definitely would've played!  Ah...next time!

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Quote: Originally posted by lottocalgal on Feb 26, 2008

Hey MissNYC

I am going to agree with you on this one.

I don't really agree with the blatant name calling, but in this case it  kinda fits.  This kind of exposure brings out the nuts, scammers, freeloaders and "relatives"  Not wanting this one to become a THS The Curse of The Lottery 2, I will wish them well, and a safe future. (And Yes I mean it)

And NO I am not hating. Do I wish I'd won? Well I can't because I don't regularly play MM.  But I do play the state's lotto regularly and hope I will  win and use sound judgement.

No, I will keep my mouth shut-tight.Forget the 15 minutes of fame, its not worth it.  Like someone said on a previous post "you gotta find me first!"I Agree!

Thanks LocalCalGal. I'm from NY, so we use terms like morons and idiots pretty loosely here lol, but I still maintain that I personally think when winning a large sum of money, you should wait for a number of reasons. I do wish them the best, but we shall see.

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by MissNYC on Feb 26, 2008

I personally think these people are morons, and I'm entitled to my opinion. I mean, they won Friday...a few days later they're all over the news. Everyone feels differently about publicity, personally, I'd probably do a few interviews myself and enjoy my 15 minutes, but I do have a problem with how soon they cam forward. I would bet any amount of money that the did not consult with any financial advisors, lawyers, accountants, etc. I don't think you should have to do research to treat over 100 million dollars differently than 100k. And now they're talking about all the things they want to buy...which is great, I just hope they have a plan because yeah it's a lot of money, but it's still spendable. Especially when you have a family who will be knocking on the door in addition to all of the people who just saw them on the news. Poor planning...I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like another E! True Hollywood tragedy!

I could not disagree more vehemently, MissNYC.

They are just good old fashioned country folks. Blue collar, hard working Americans.

Portal is about 50 miles from where I live and the whole town and  the surrounding area is made up of the same type of folks. 

Yes, they did interviews and ran to the lottery headquarters right away, but that doesn't make them morons. They didn't know " how to act" since this type of thing happens to them all the time...NOT.

They did take their accountant with them... So they at least were smart in that regard.

I would bet you that they do NOT wind up like David Edwards, et al... They are  not former druggies and convicts.

They do have something that all of us do not- $ 150 million dollars !!

Just my humble 2 cents worth....

colthmn's avatarcolthmn

Quote: Originally posted by colo2004 on Feb 26, 2008

I think it's fair to say we have been harsh on this couple. Calling them morons etc. is going too far. They are a little trashy and really naive, but nothing more. Look at the guy; he's worked his ass off all his life and now just wants to provide for his family, is that so bad?

Of course we would all have handled it differently. But this guy doesn't strike me as someone who had his private banker on speed-dail. They probably blew any chance of anonymity within the first 15 mins of discovering they've won.

You can just picture it...  lots of yeehaws, maybe even a few gunshots in the air. I'm sure she ran outside screaming "God is a good God". Well all that commotion woke up Billy Bob nextdoor, who came running over with that I've been hit in the head with a 2x4 expression. Before you know it the whole freakin' town is there, drinking and dancing away. They were screwed from that moment onwards.

So good luck to them. They have won so much that they can afford to make quite a few mistakes, and still have enough left.

Peace.

"PRICELESS'

Littlemanjen

sirbrad has always been a negative kind of guy....bad past life, feel sorry for himself...la la la.....everyone does have opinions, it just seems yours, sirbrad, are always better than anyone else's to you

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Always negative? I don't think so. You might want to look up some of my past posts which talk about the law of attraction etc. Obviously you littleman are focusing only on the "negative."

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Quote: Originally posted by DoubleDown on Feb 27, 2008

I could not disagree more vehemently, MissNYC.

They are just good old fashioned country folks. Blue collar, hard working Americans.

Portal is about 50 miles from where I live and the whole town and  the surrounding area is made up of the same type of folks. 

Yes, they did interviews and ran to the lottery headquarters right away, but that doesn't make them morons. They didn't know " how to act" since this type of thing happens to them all the time...NOT.

They did take their accountant with them... So they at least were smart in that regard.

I would bet you that they do NOT wind up like David Edwards, et al... They are  not former druggies and convicts.

They do have something that all of us do not- $ 150 million dollars !!

Just my humble 2 cents worth....

It's a free country, your entitled...as am I

DoubleDown

Quote: Originally posted by MissNYC on Feb 28, 2008

It's a free country, your entitled...as am I

Yes indeed, we can agree to disagree.

Peace out

time*treat's avatartime*treat

I hope this family has a banging good time spending all their dough ... on products built in AmericaPatriot
(preferably sold by me or companies I own shares in, but I'll settle for tertiary capitalism, too)

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Is the article correct when it says he is only 47 years old?  Pics make him (and his wife) look 20 years older.

I wish them a lot of luck and happiness. 

Piaceri

Yes, they both look quite aged beyond mid 40's.  Harsh life and not taking care of the body God gave you will do that.  I'd also say maybe a little hard drinking in there, too.  I'm not talking a few beers after work, either.  They do look and sound like the kind of people who spend their lives working long physical hours, and die that way - early.  Hopefully they can take these winnings and make the right improvements to their lives so that they can enjoy it for years to come.

I will say that when I win the big one, people here are not quite so critical of me as they have been to this family. I am not perfect, and don't pretend to be.  Most likely you will only get the barest glimpse of me when I claim that jackpot and then ride off into the sunset to quietly enjoy my winnings.

Thumbs Up

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Mar 1, 2008

Yes, they both look quite aged beyond mid 40's.  Harsh life and not taking care of the body God gave you will do that.  I'd also say maybe a little hard drinking in there, too.  I'm not talking a few beers after work, either.  They do look and sound like the kind of people who spend their lives working long physical hours, and die that way - early.  Hopefully they can take these winnings and make the right improvements to their lives so that they can enjoy it for years to come.

I will say that when I win the big one, people here are not quite so critical of me as they have been to this family. I am not perfect, and don't pretend to be.  Most likely you will only get the barest glimpse of me when I claim that jackpot and then ride off into the sunset to quietly enjoy my winnings.

Thumbs Up

I Agree!   I'm not the type to cricitize "real" people about the way they look, but as I've said on other threads in the past, lottery winners are like celebrities.  Everyone has an opinion about why Britney acts so crazy or if Paris should have gone to jail. Anna Nicole Smith was the #1 "news" story for weeks following her death.  Frankly, I don't care about any of these people.  I mean, I care in the human sense, but I don't know them and what they do has no effect whatsoever on my personal life.  LP is a message/chat board to throw out whatever opinion one has on a matter.  That's all.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Just clean fun sharing ideas, debating the issues, and sometimes making a few friends.  Frankly, if I won $270 million I wouldn't care what anyone on LP wrote about me.  Call me a cheap, trashy 2-bit whore and I'll still be sitting in my log cabin on top of a mountain enjoying the view with a smile on my face!

Perfect Timing

Quote: Originally posted by chasingadream on Feb 26, 2008

it depends on what their definition of gambling is.....to some, gambling is strictly dice and cards. Besides.....the bible says "In all thy ways acknowledge him". All means the good and the bad and if you would consider this the bad then they still followed his word by giving the Glory to God.

Thanks for that answer.......

Buying a lotto ticket does not make you a gambler with an addiction problem anymore than having a glass of wine with dinner makes you an alcoholic....(Jesus first miracle was not healing someone or raising them from the dead........His first miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding................)

What God does have a problem with is "addictions" (from the biblical standpoint it is a form of idolatry)

If you are addicted (to gambling, alcohol etc.) it ruins your life and the lives of those close you because you put it above all else.

This couple spent two dollars on lottery tickets.....does not sound like an addiction to me.........

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Mar 1, 2008

I Agree!   I'm not the type to cricitize "real" people about the way they look, but as I've said on other threads in the past, lottery winners are like celebrities.  Everyone has an opinion about why Britney acts so crazy or if Paris should have gone to jail. Anna Nicole Smith was the #1 "news" story for weeks following her death.  Frankly, I don't care about any of these people.  I mean, I care in the human sense, but I don't know them and what they do has no effect whatsoever on my personal life.  LP is a message/chat board to throw out whatever opinion one has on a matter.  That's all.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Just clean fun sharing ideas, debating the issues, and sometimes making a few friends.  Frankly, if I won $270 million I wouldn't care what anyone on LP wrote about me.  Call me a cheap, trashy 2-bit whore and I'll still be sitting in my log cabin on top of a mountain enjoying the view with a smile on my face!

OK justxploring-you are a cheap, tashy 2-bit whore. Happy now?SmileWinkBig SmileEmbarassed

mken32's avatarmken32

Quote: Originally posted by fwlawrence on Mar 4, 2008

OK justxploring-you are a cheap, tashy 2-bit whore. Happy now?SmileWinkBig SmileEmbarassed

Group Hug did anyone ever hit the Jackpot MM or PB that's a member of LP.......

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by mken32 on Mar 6, 2008

Group Hug did anyone ever hit the Jackpot MM or PB that's a member of LP.......

I would really like to know the anwer to that also...TODD ......anything?US Flag

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story