Millionaire lottery winner goes back to job at McDonald's

Mar 25, 2008, 10:00 am (43 comments)

UK National Lottery

It's not the natural habitat of the millionaire.

But if you visit a particular McDonald's store in Cardiff, you've every chance of being served by one.

Luke Pittard, 25, won £1.3 million (US $2.6 million) in the National Lottery 18 months ago.

He celebrated in the usual way, buying a new home and splashing out on a lavish wedding and holiday in the Canary Islands.

Then he realized that he really missed his job.

So he asked to go back and couldn't be happier, getting up at the crack of dawn to flip burgers for £5.85 an hour.

"They all think I'm a bit mad but I tell them there's more to life than money," he said.

"I loved working at McDonald's before I became a millionaire and I'm really enjoying being back there again."

Few customers at the restaurant in Pontprennau, Cardiff, realize that a millionaire is frying their fries or taking their money behind the counter.

Mr Pittard and his girlfriend Emma Cox, 29, were working there together when he hit the jackpot.

They hung up their uniforms and settled down to domestic-bliss in a £230,000 home with their three-year-old daughter Chloe.

But 18 months later, the novelty of early retirement wore off.

"Lots of my old McDonald's workmates came to our wedding and I had kept in touch with them all the time, so I just thought: 'Why not go back?'" said Mr Pittard.

"To be honest, there's only so much relaxing you can do.

"I'm only young and a bit of hard work never did anyone any harm." Lucky winners: Luke and Emma splashed out on a lavish wedding with their winnings.

The couple earn more each week in interest on their win than Mr Pittard brings home from McDonald's.

But his wife supports his decision to return to work as a staff trainer.

"I can totally understand it," she said.

"We both really enjoyed working at McDonald's and still have good friends there.

"So it was really familiar for him and something for him to look forward to."

McDonald's manager Katherine Jones said: "Luke was always a great member of our team and when he won the lottery we were all so pleased for him.

"I'm glad he has had the time to enjoy his winnings but love having him here — it's as if he never went away."

Despite winning more than £1m on the lottery Luke Pittard decided to go back to work at McDonalds.

Luke with his wife Emma and their check for over £1.3 million.

Daily Mail

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

mjwinsmith's avatarmjwinsmith

What a story, and just goes to show that "Money" can't buy happiness!

KyMystikal's avatarKyMystikal

Quote: Originally posted by mjwinsmith on Mar 25, 2008

I Agree!

Guru101's avatarGuru101

My version of the saying: Money can't always buy happiness.

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

With his millions he can now have it his way-oh wait, that's Burger King.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

If he loves working at McDonald's so much, why doesn't he just buy a franchise?  I hope after all this publicity, McBurglar doesn't find out and we'll need to call McGruff the crime dog.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

I'm glad he found some happiness working at MCD's, but I know I would never willing go work at the McDonald's around here.

DoubleDown

Good for him !

It's funny to see the different menu items..Notice the onion rings on the menu.....

Hey I bet that Mickey D's in the UK doesn't have sweet tea for a $1 like we do here Hyper oops too much caffiene >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Litebets27's avatarLitebets27

Quote: Originally posted by fwlawrence on Mar 25, 2008

With his millions he can now have it his way-oh wait, that's Burger King.

Green laugh

NYSlugger 777's avatarNYSlugger 777

He loves his job so much then he should give his co workers $1,000 cash eachApprove

$5. 85 an hour sucks!

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

Quote: Originally posted by NYSlugger 777 on Mar 25, 2008

He loves his job so much then he should give his co workers $1,000 cash eachApprove

$5. 85 an hour sucks!

It was 5.85 pounds an hour. That's a bit over $11.50 an hour. When I worked at McDonald's I was only getting  $3.35 an hour.

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

The problem is being sued by anyone. He is very visible. He may find a normal life is impossible. Lottery winners get sued and robbed often if they are known.

dphillips's avatardphillips

Well, great for him!  Perhaps, he will become supervisor -- then a manager. Who knows, he might want to invest in a McDonald's franchise.

For me, I would attempt the latter: a franchise invesment -- if it is affordable. He is young and he can afford to take risks!

rubberbandman's avatarrubberbandman

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Mar 25, 2008

If he loves working at McDonald's so much, why doesn't he just buy a franchise?  I hope after all this publicity, McBurglar doesn't find out and we'll need to call McGruff the crime dog.

I agree with you.

$5. 85 an hour sucks!

You know this is Europe right?

KyMystikal, you stated that "money can't buy happiness." Since you did not take a poll of all Americans or all the people in the world, your generalization is not valid. 

What is happiness to one person -- may not be happiness to another person. Of course, good health is usually considered by most people to be worth more than any amount of money. However, we know of individuals who can afford the best of health care that money can buy...the medical teams would be  salivating and with blushing cheeks to work on and to work with Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates, Donald Trump, etc.

There are plenty of miserable, poor people existing from day-to-day, here in the US, and abroad. Money should be a tool for one's enjoyment and money should be able to provide a sense of freedom!

Quote: Originally posted by dphillips on Mar 25, 2008

Well, great for him!  Perhaps, he will become supervisor -- then a manager. Who knows, he might want to invest in a McDonald's franchise.

For me, I would attempt the latter: a franchise invesment -- if it is affordable. He is young and he can afford to take risks!

Nobody would buy a Mcdonalds franchise, that's disgusting. If your'e going to network market then you should franchise something like a white castle or a arby's or something like that. With millions of dollars Mcdonalds should be beneath you.

rubberbandman, the only reason I mentioned McDonald's franchise is because he seemed to enjoy working there: sure, he could have gone to Arby's or White Castle to work -- before his winnings or after his winnings. Only he can answer that question.

However, you do have a point. I did not think of Arby's or White Castle for a franchise investment. Thanks for reminding me to think outside of the box!

you're welcome.

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

I hope he doesn't eat there.  Those big macs does a number on your heart and waist.  My bet is he would not say long there. Most likely go back into retirement or look for another job. 

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

Quote: Originally posted by fwlawrence on Mar 25, 2008

It was 5.85 pounds an hour. That's a bit over $11.50 an hour. When I worked at McDonald's I was only getting  $3.35 an hour.

Not bad at all. 

Quote: Originally posted by JackpotWanna on Mar 25, 2008

I hope he doesn't eat there.  Those big macs does a number on your heart and waist.  My bet is he would not say long there. Most likely go back into retirement or look for another job. 

My bet is he would not stay long there.

Exactly, but it is delicious.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Exactly what I was thinking, for crying out loud man, just buy a franchise!

(McGruff  Green laugh)

In the early 1980's a guy hit the Illinois lottery for $43,000,000 and insisted he was goinmg to keep his $650 a week printer's job (good money back then) - but that lasted all of about a month.

He loved to bowl and a few friends asked him why he just didn't buy a bowling alley - DUH! - so he did.

I wonder how long this English guy will last.

To each his own, but.... 

gocart1's avatargocart1

If i were to hit the jackpot i would love to go back to college for music .i love playing my hammond B3 with twin leslie speakers.i don't even care if i make money or not, i just love playing my organ.NO PUN INTENDEDParty

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

i would prrrrrrrrrrrrobably do the same thing because I really really love my job. The people and the company are great.  

myturn's avatarmyturn

I can understand why he wishes to continue to work, but, I cannot understand why he tells the world about his win, appearing in a national newspaper with photographs. Some people, no matter how much money they have, lack common sense. He could have started a cafe himself, and not made a public spectacle of himself.

Whatever about happiness, it seems you cannot buy common sense!

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Now if this guy had just listened to time*treat, he would have invested in a lot of McNuggets. Yes Nod

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

McDonald's doesn't simply sell franchises to anyone who can afford it, and neither do any other companies that have a lick of sense. Having a store with their name on it run poorly isn't good for anyone, so they vet people thoroughly before allowing them to purchase a franchise. Right now, returning his call would only be a matter of courtesy. If he works his way up to manager and does a good job for a few years, then they might consider letting him have a franchise. Of course there's nothing to suggest that he wants one. Working at one where he's already friends with other employees is far different than being completely responsible for one, and turning his friends into employees.

Here are my questions. If he won 1.3 million pounds, why is there a picture of his girlfriend holding a big check with her name on it?  Is spending almost 20% of a relatively modest jackpot on the house an indication of bad financial judgement?

Quote: Originally posted by rubberbandman on Mar 25, 2008

Nobody would buy a Mcdonalds franchise, that's disgusting. If your'e going to network market then you should franchise something like a white castle or a arby's or something like that. With millions of dollars Mcdonalds should be beneath you.

Personally, I think the success of McDonalds may be an indication of the poor collective intelligence of the human race, but for those who are capable or running one effectively, it's generally a very good investment. Since Arby's and White castle don't have any franchises in England, that isn't likely to be an option, and they're almost certainly not nearly as good an option where they are available.

myturn's avatarmyturn

He should have used his newfound financial freedom to immigrate to Australia or New Zealand, and give his children better opportunities.

Captain Lotto's avatarCaptain Lotto

Wow, can't you guys just be happy for the guy?  He has a job he enjoys and is living the life he wants to lead.  Shouldn't we all be so lucky? 

And I disagree he should keep his mouth shut.  What better story to tell, obviously one we all need to hear.  It's not about the money.  It's about living a life that has meaning for you. 

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Mar 26, 2008

Personally, I think the success of McDonalds may be an indication of the poor collective intelligence of the human race, but for those who are capable or running one effectively, it's generally a very good investment. Since Arby's and White castle don't have any franchises in England, that isn't likely to be an option, and they're almost certainly not nearly as good an option where they are available.

it's generally a very good investment, Probably would be a good investment, but just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should do it, again with millions of dollars under your belt, a Mcdonalds franchise should be BENEATH you.

Since Arby's and White castle don't have any franchises in England, that isn't likely to be an option, The chances are that they will let him open up a franchise where he resides, multiple business opportunities come your way when you have financial abundance.

and they're almost certainly not nearly as good an option where they are available. What do you mean, they're generally not well-established businesses or that they do not have the ease of start-up franchise like Mcdonalds?

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

$5. 85 an hour sucks!

I don't believe he has to start handing out money to his co-workers. That's a good way for him to go broke.

Quote: Originally posted by rubberbandman on Mar 26, 2008

it's generally a very good investment, Probably would be a good investment, but just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should do it, again with millions of dollars under your belt, a Mcdonalds franchise should be BENEATH you.

Since Arby's and White castle don't have any franchises in England, that isn't likely to be an option, The chances are that they will let him open up a franchise where he resides, multiple business opportunities come your way when you have financial abundance.

and they're almost certainly not nearly as good an option where they are available. What do you mean, they're generally not well-established businesses or that they do not have the ease of start-up franchise like Mcdonalds?

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

I'll certainly agree that running some other business might be more socially useful than running a McDonald's, but running any successful business isn't beneath somebody. They may be capable of more (a very subjective concept, of course), but that doesn't mean it is beneath them. Your claim that "With millions of dollars Mcdonalds should be beneath you " is utterly without merit, because there is no qualification about how they came into the money. I guarantee that running a successful drug or prostitution ring isn't beneath some of the people who have millions of dollars. Other than the possibility that their overall offerings are slightly better, I don't see how an Arby's or White Castle wouldn't be beneath somebody when a McDonald's would be.

Ease of startup has little to do with how successful or sensible a business opportunity is. All else being equal, I'd say the chances for success and return on your investment are much better with McDonald's than with an Arby's or a White Castle. White castle is nearly twice as old as McDonald's but doesn't even have 5% of the stores that McDonald's does. That has implications for the possibility of success with anew franchise, as well as expansion to England.

While it's possible that Arby's or White Castle would offer a franchise to a qualified individual in England, the fact that they haven't already expanded there suggests a lack of interest. Having money increases your opportunities, but that doesn't mean that any given company is going to change their plans to offer you an opportunity. Neither Arby's nor White castle would be likely to make money from opening only a few stores in a new country. They'll only expand there if they believe they have a real opportunity, and this guy is not that opportunity.

KY F, my strongest viewpoints have been removed so it'll be pointless for me to continue talking about this, so i'll end my comments.

Jack Pot's avatarJack Pot

KY F, my strongest viewpoints have been removed so it'll be pointless for me to continue talking about this, so i'll end my comments.

They were not strong, they were very lame and very offensive. I am glad that you are going to "end your comments."

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Pot on Mar 26, 2008

They were not strong, they were very lame and very offensive. I am glad that you are going to "end your comments."

"very lame" Understandable

"very offensive" To whom?

No more instigating from me, you happy?

Jack Pot's avatarJack Pot

"very lame" Understandable

"very offensive" To whom?

No more instigating from me, you happy?

Offensive to whom? TO EVERYBODY but YOU.

ETA: I had the misfortune of reading your post before it disappeared.

ConstantlyB's avatarConstantlyB

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Mar 26, 2008

McDonald's doesn't simply sell franchises to anyone who can afford it, and neither do any other companies that have a lick of sense. Having a store with their name on it run poorly isn't good for anyone, so they vet people thoroughly before allowing them to purchase a franchise. Right now, returning his call would only be a matter of courtesy. If he works his way up to manager and does a good job for a few years, then they might consider letting him have a franchise. Of course there's nothing to suggest that he wants one. Working at one where he's already friends with other employees is far different than being completely responsible for one, and turning his friends into employees.

Here are my questions. If he won 1.3 million pounds, why is there a picture of his girlfriend holding a big check with her name on it?  Is spending almost 20% of a relatively modest jackpot on the house an indication of bad financial judgement?

KY Floyd...I was wondering the same thing????

Girlfriend....daughter ....her name on the check....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

YOU GO GIRLFRIEND!!!! ........LATER WIFE!!!! Cheers

....I just punched  your pimpette card!!

...she let that be known up front...quick.....fast...and in a hurry!!

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Mar 26, 2008

Now if this guy had just listened to time*treat, he would have invested in a lot of McNuggets. Yes Nod

Green laugh

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

WOW>>>>>>>>>>>

PSYKOMO...............see's >>>>>>>>> AH >>>>>>>>FRANCHISEE>

in their    COUNTRY or ORGIN>>>>  AH >>>>>>>>SOS GREAT!!!

only in USA of:

AMERICA^^^^^^^

LOL

PSYKOMO 

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Pot on Mar 26, 2008

Offensive to whom? TO EVERYBODY but YOU.

ETA: I had the misfortune of reading your post before it disappeared.

OK, I'm going to let that one slide, this once.

You know this isn't the fire forum right, this is the Mcdonalds forum, i've said nothing but good things on this forum, the fire forum on the other hand I can understand your justification of what you call "offensive", even though I believe I didnt offend anybody, and as I stated to CT earlier I was just stating the facts.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, even though I wouldn't invest in Mcdonalds, that doesn't mean he shouldn't do it, and like KY F said it might be a good investment opportunity. Me personally, I have standards and mcdonalds WOULD be beneath me, unless it made me an obscene amount of money which will never happen so yes it is beneath me to invest in such mediocraty.

Thank you

foragoodcause's avatarforagoodcause

I agree some people don't deserve to win the lottery,a millionaire working for peanut money that's sucks!I wouldn't go bad to that job if it was me,if i win the lottery i will most likely start my own business.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by ConstantlyB on Mar 26, 2008

KY Floyd...I was wondering the same thing????

Girlfriend....daughter ....her name on the check....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

YOU GO GIRLFRIEND!!!! ........LATER WIFE!!!! Cheers

....I just punched  your pimpette card!!

...she let that be known up front...quick.....fast...and in a hurry!!

Her name was on the check and the article mentioned how he spent some of the money. Maybe he spent too much, she cut him and that's the real reason why he had to go back to work at McDonalds.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story