Man killed by train while looking at lottery ticket

May 18, 2008, 9:47 pm (29 comments)

Insider Buzz

A man is dead after being struck and killed by a train near Buffalo, New York, while examining a scratch-off lottery ticket.

Police say 48-year-old Ronald Wittenberg of Lackawanna did not respond to the train's blaring horn as it approached him from behind as he walked between the rails.

Wittenberg was returning from fishing with a friend shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday. Police were told he had his head down and was examining the lottery ticket.

Wittenberg died from massive head and internal injuries, police said.

AP

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

maybe he was deaf?

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Examining a lottery ticket or even reading a news paper while walking between the rails of an active train track or even driving down the free way is just a thoughtless idea.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Maybe he was, but my money is on stupid. Trains are easy to spot, and it's always easy to tell exactly where they're going to be. Standing in that spot and not paying attention isn't a very smart thing to do.

DC81's avatarDC81

I second stupid and if he was deaf that'd just mean he was deaf and stupid.

So..... Any word whether the ticket was a winner or not? <_< >_>

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on May 18, 2008

Examining a lottery ticket or even reading a news paper while walking between the rails of an active train track or even driving down the free way is just a thoughtless idea.

I agree. I think it's a sad situation, but when you are around train tracks you have to be aware of you surroundings. It's not a place to reading things and ignoring what's going on. No Nod

Dr Lottery's avatarDr Lottery

What a way to go !! RIP""Blue Angel

Badger's avatarBadger

Totally bizarre !  I mean...he was returning from a fishing trip?  And walking between the rails on the tracks?   Was there no place else to walk?

And with the odds on scratchoffs, it was probably a loser.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Walking on railroad tracks. Why? What?

As I understand it, the rails warn you where trains tend to congregate.

As Larry-the-cable-guy warns: "If you ever find yourself being attacked by a train do this..." [Jumps to side]

But, as Ron White tells us, "You can't fix 'stupid'. "

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Green laughCrazyGreen laughCrazyGreen laughCrazyGreen laugh

one for darwin's ROFL

fja's avatarfja

Anybody bother to look for the ticket,  cause the one thing that will freeze me in my tracks, is scratching off a million dollar winner!!!!

Raven62's avatarRaven62

He got Lost in the Moment: The Ticket was a Winner!

pigsNtrees's avatarpigsNtrees

This story doesn't pass the smell test. If he was 40 feet behind his friend, he must of jumped off the track first. So how did he know his friend was looking at the ticket at the time the train hit him? It will be interesting to see if his friend cashes in a large sum scratch-off.

Buffalo News

Snip

"The train was blaring its horn for 45 seconds or a minute straight," Lackawanna Police Capt. Ronald Miller said. "For some reason, he never heard the horn."

Snip

Wittenberg, who was returning from fishing with a friend, was walking between the rails, about 40 feet behind his friend, with his head down while examining the lottery ticket, police were told. The train approached from behind.

gocart1's avatargocart1

SAD STORY , But beer is almost always on my fishing trips

kjs703's avatarkjs703

Sounds like a CSI story to me.....

Once they start investigating, the friend will be arrested for killing his friend for catching the "big one"!  (smirk)

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

Quote: Originally posted by kjs703 on May 19, 2008

Sounds like a CSI story to me.....

Once they start investigating, the friend will be arrested for killing his friend for catching the "big one"!  (smirk)

LOL, that was funny. Stupid is as stupid does. I know a man who won 2million on a scratcher. I asked him how it changed his life. He said he lost his best friend because he sued him for 1million, he pointed out that he hadn't scratched the box on the bottom of the ticket. It was the winning box so he thought he deserved half.No Pity!

UmBrook

Guess he had a better chance of getting run over by a train than winning the lottery.

nutty4golf

Wonder if the ticket was a winner.

MillionsWanted's avatarMillionsWanted

That was both tragic and stupid at the same time. A Darwin Award candidate?

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Was his name Psycho??......

DoubleDown

Every time I see light at the end of the tunnel it's an oncoming train....Skeptical

HoneyBunny's avatarHoneyBunny

This story sounds kind of "fishy".Thinking of...

GHstudent's avatarGHstudent

real sad

mylollipop's avatarmylollipop

So sad and being a scratch off, it was probably not a winner! Frown  Condolences to the family.

mylollipop's avatarmylollipop

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on May 18, 2008

I agree!  Even if he was deaf, could he not FEEL the VIBRATIONS of the oncoming train!?  THis is really, really, sad.  Was the ticket a winner even????? Hmmmnn. the more I read, I wonder.  Then Again, it was not an April Fool's Story.  I just wonder sometimes.

Scott311

Note to self.......

jim695

Maybe it was just Karma.

"My name is Earl ..."

Sandra Dee's avatarSandra Dee

this story reeks so bad I'm about to spray lysol all up in this room! it's not even funny! everything from him not hearing or FEELING the train coming to his friend not coming to his aide .. heck, to the train conductor not putting on the EMERGENCY BRAKES! they need sgt. mason [first 48/a&e] to be on this case, she'll cuss and knock the friend upside the head until he confesses! so sad .. but I will leave any other smart azz comments to myself as this family is grieving .. but I just never understood the full meaning of the quote "stopped 'dead in your tracks' " till right now! 

No NodSad

pigsNtrees's avatarpigsNtrees

Quote: Originally posted by Sandra Dee on May 20, 2008

this story reeks so bad I'm about to spray lysol all up in this room! it's not even funny! everything from him not hearing or FEELING the train coming to his friend not coming to his aide .. heck, to the train conductor not putting on the EMERGENCY BRAKES! they need sgt. mason [first 48/a&e] to be on this case, she'll cuss and knock the friend upside the head until he confesses! so sad .. but I will leave any other smart azz comments to myself as this family is grieving .. but I just never understood the full meaning of the quote "stopped 'dead in your tracks' " till right now! 

No NodSad

Also that they are on foot and had just came from a fishing trip. So here these two guys are, loaded down with fishing equipment and possibly fish. They decide to drop by a store, with said equipment, buy a scratch card then cut across the rail road tracks. Like I said this doesn't pass the smell test.

MeFirstYouLast

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on May 19, 2008

Walking on railroad tracks. Why? What?

As I understand it, the rails warn you where trains tend to congregate.

As Larry-the-cable-guy warns: "If you ever find yourself being attacked by a train do this..." [Jumps to side]

But, as Ron White tells us, "You can't fix 'stupid'. "

Some people were not meant to contribute to the gene pool.  Mother Earth will always take care of Mother Earth first.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story