Winning Mega Millions lottery ticket worth $56M sold in Michigan

Jun 15, 2008, 2:18 pm (31 comments)

Mega Millions

Unusual California payouts will award more to 3rd place winner than to 2nd place

Outside Party World in suburban Grand Rapids, a sign went up Saturday proclaiming that the store sold a ticket worth $56 million in the latest Mega Millions drawing.

Manager Dave Castor said he's especially pleased that the jackpot-winning ticket was sold in economically struggling Michigan, whose jobless rate is among the nation's highest.

"We just can't wait to find out who is the winner," Castor said. "We're happy for anyone in this economy in Michigan to win."

Mega Millions is a multi-state lottery game offered in a dozen states.

Lottery officials said the single grand prize-winning ticket from Friday night's drawing was sold at the store in Comstock Park. The lottery said the winner had not come forward as of Saturday.

"We need the winner to call us," Michigan lottery spokeswoman Andi Brancato said.

At Party World, Castor said he expected the win to help business. He said the store already had more traffic than on a usual Saturday, and the word-of-mouth publicity from a big winner is bound to help.

"It's exciting," he said. "Very exciting."

In addition to the grand prize winner, a total of seven players matched all five numbers but not the Mega Ball number. Two of the winners — from New York and Texas — will receive second prizes of $250,000 each.

Unusual California payouts

The other five second-prize winners were sold in California, which is the only Mega Millions state to offer pari-mutuel prizes at each of the eight non-jackpot prize levels.  (Pari-mutuel means that the available prize funds for each level are based on actual sales, and are split evenly by the number of winning tickets at each level.)

Each second-place California winning ticket will receive $33,757, because the total prize pool for the second-place level in this drawing was $168,785.  This is the lowest individual prize amount ever awarded for a winning second-place Mega Millions lottery ticket.

The next-lowest individual second-prize winning ticket was awarded in the October 23, 2007 drawing, when four players split a $148,224 second-place prize pool for a payout of $37,056 each.

Ironically, because only one player from California holds a winning third-prize ticket, their prize will be larger than each of the second-place winners' prizes.

The single third-place winner from California will collect a $46,033 prize, which is more than four times the size of the third-place prize in each of the other Mega Millions states, and $12,276 more than what each of the second-place California winners will receive in this drawing.

24 players in the eleven other Mega Millions states hold a winning third-place ticket.  Each of those tickets is worth $10,000.

The winning numbers from Friday night's drawing were: 8, 9, 14, 38 and 44. The Mega Ball number was 36.

The Texas Megaplier was 4.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

MaddMike51

"The lottery said the winner had not come forward as of saturday"

Well,DUH!The lottery office probably wasn't even open on saturday.This reminds of everytime  someone hits a major jackpot on MM or PB some idiot reporter will come on tv on Monday morning at 6 o'clock and say that nobody showed up yet at the (pick any state) lottery office.Why in the world would anyone show up at 6 a.m. when no state office opens before 9 a.m.?

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Although I agree with you, sometimes there are people who broadcast it immediately like that man who paraded through town waving the winning ticket.  Perhaps the Lottery was simply indicating that often a winner gets his/her ticket validated immediately at a retailer (which has happened many times.)  Personally, I would try my best to keep it quiet until I make plans & move, but not everyone feels the same way.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Each second-place California winning ticket will receive $33,757, because the total prize pool for the second-place level in this drawing was $168,785. 

Even if California had only one second-place winner, that $168,785 would be a lot less than the $250,000 the second place winners in the other states.  I remember reading some years ago about a Californian lottery that had almost a hundred winners and their part of the pot was almost or less than the lower tier winners.  In California, lottery winners don't want to celebrate before they see the money.

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Jun 15, 2008

Although I agree with you, sometimes there are people who broadcast it immediately like that man who paraded through town waving the winning ticket.  Perhaps the Lottery was simply indicating that often a winner gets his/her ticket validated immediately at a retailer (which has happened many times.)  Personally, I would try my best to keep it quiet until I make plans & move, but not everyone feels the same way.

why in the world you would you ever go back to the retailer you bought it from?  I would be terrified they would make a huge commotion when they found out I had the winning ticket and someone would try to steal it or mug me or something.  I probably would never even go back into the store I bought it from, ever!  Did anybody see that video of the girl that won some $$ (like 50 bucks i think) and she started yelling and jumping around and somebody snatched it out of her hand and ran--she never got it back.  it's lunacy to do that!

bytheshore

Why do we even have pari-mutuel here?  I really should look that up, I complain about it often enough.

Sometimes, pari-mutuel is advantageous.  Like the ticket that won $697,476 in Feb. for 5 out of 6 on Mega Millions.  Most of the time, though, it's only a little better than what those poor saps got stuck with.  Don't get me wrong, I think they were lucky to win $33,757, but, come on, that ain't no $250,000.

The last MM jackpot was won at $17M.  This month, $56M.  Is that what the jackpots are going to be like this year?  Boring.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by bytheshore on Jun 15, 2008

Why do we even have pari-mutuel here?  I really should look that up, I complain about it often enough.

Sometimes, pari-mutuel is advantageous.  Like the ticket that won $697,476 in Feb. for 5 out of 6 on Mega Millions.  Most of the time, though, it's only a little better than what those poor saps got stuck with.  Don't get me wrong, I think they were lucky to win $33,757, but, come on, that ain't no $250,000.

The last MM jackpot was won at $17M.  This month, $56M.  Is that what the jackpots are going to be like this year?  Boring.

Ohio offers its own game 6/49 Classic Lotto and now that MegaMillions is starting over at $12M, CL jackpot of $20.8M is looking good again.  A $56M jackpot is nice if you're the one that won it, heck even the $20.8M jackpot would look good to me if I won it.

MaddMike51

"The last MM jackpot was won at $17M.  This month, $56M.  Is that what the jackpots are going to be like this year?  Boring."

$17,000,000 boring?$56,000,000 boring?Who the hell are you?Bill Gates?

bytheshore

::rolls eyes::

Come on, don't be naive.  You had to know I meant compared to the usual big jackpots (e.g. $100M+).

bytheshore

Ohio offers its own game 6/49 Classic Lotto and now that MegaMillionsis starting over at $12M, CL jackpot of $20.8M is looking good again. A $56M jackpot is nice if you're the one that won it, heck even the$20.8M jackpot would look good to me if I won it.

I meant compared to the usual MM big jackpots.  I was wondering if there would be any more BIG jackpots this year.  BIG as in $100M+.

Here in California, for SuperLotto a $20M+ jackpot is great.  For MM it isn't.

Lord, I should just go back to lurking.

MaddMike51

::rolls eyes::

Come on, don't be naive.  You had to know I meant compared to the usual big jackpots (e.g. $100M+).

Actually,I'm one of those people that reads what is written on the page...not what is written between the lines.If someone writes that he thinks a $17,000,000 jackpot is boring,I believe that he thinks a $17,000,000 jackpot is boring.I don't know why I'm that way,but I am.

bytheshore

Quote: Originally posted by MaddMike51 on Jun 15, 2008

Actually,I'm one of those people that reads what is written on the page...not what is written between the lines.If someone writes that he thinks a $17,000,000 jackpot is boring,I believe that he thinks a $17,000,000 jackpot is boring.I don't know why I'm that way,but I am.

Ah, so you're a literal person.  Did not realize that.  So you're really, truly wondering if I'm THE Bill Gates?

I'm not.  I don't have his money.  OR his penis.

Sorry, guess I better make it clearer than that since you aren't able to read between the lines.Big Smile  I'm a woman.

MaddMike51

Ah, so you're a literal person.  Did not realize that.  So you're really, truly wondering if I'm THE Bill Gates?

I'm not.  I don't have his money.  OR his penis.

Sorry, guess I better make it clearer than that since you aren't able to read between the lines.Big Smile  I'm a woman.

Whatever!

colthmn's avatarcolthmn

Ohio offers its own game 6/49 Classic Lotto and now that MegaMillionsis starting over at $12M, CL jackpot of $20.8M is looking good again. A $56M jackpot is nice if you're the one that won it, heck even the$20.8M jackpot would look good to me if I won it.

I meant compared to the usual MM big jackpots.  I was wondering if there would be any more BIG jackpots this year.  BIG as in $100M+.

Here in California, for SuperLotto a $20M+ jackpot is great.  For MM it isn't.

Lord, I should just go back to lurking.

"Lord, I should just go back to lurking."Green laugh

I hear ya!

bytheshore

Quote: Originally posted by colthmn on Jun 15, 2008

"Lord, I should just go back to lurking."Green laugh

I hear ya!

Big Smile Cheers Big Smile

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on Jun 15, 2008

why in the world you would you ever go back to the retailer you bought it from?  I would be terrified they would make a huge commotion when they found out I had the winning ticket and someone would try to steal it or mug me or something.  I probably would never even go back into the store I bought it from, ever!  Did anybody see that video of the girl that won some $$ (like 50 bucks i think) and she started yelling and jumping around and somebody snatched it out of her hand and ran--she never got it back.  it's lunacy to do that!

I agree.  I wonder why you are asking me this question & quoted me.   Maybe you misunderstood what I wrote or I wasn't clear.  I said  "Personally, I would try my best to keep it quiet until I make plans & move, but not everyone feels the same way." See this thread where I was giving advice to a new member.

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/176555/1053254

I wrote:

Imagine driving home knowing you have a $100 million ticket in your hand.   Also, if you are one of the few lucky people who win a jackpot, you might want to keep the news private until you've caught your breath and made some plans.  We're all different, but I'd be paranoid if everyone at the supermarket heard someone yell "That lady has a $10 million ticket!"  I'd be looking in my rear view mirror all the way home! 

Anyway, whether or not we think it's crazy, many jackpot winners go to the store where they purchased their tickets and get them validated.

djklaugh's avatardjklaugh

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on Jun 15, 2008

In Oregon you have to go back to the store where you bought the ticket for big winners - over $600.00.  No other store will be able to validate the ticket.  Smaller amounts can be paid out by any store that sells lottery tickets. If you take a big winner ticket to a different store when the clerk checks it on the machine they get some weird message back that apparently says something like (not real sure here cuz I've never seen the actual message they get ... just have seen the consequences) "it's a winner alright but they didn't buy the ticket at this store so tell em it's no good and try to just throw it away so we don't have to pay out on it".  That happened to me once ... I insisted on getting the ticket back, went to the store where I bought it, and it was a good one ... worth about $1200.

So you take it back to the store you bought it at, having first checked the numbers yourself at home and made sure it really is a big winner, and quietly get it validated.  If you know the clerks - or even if you don't - ask them nicely to keep quiet about your big win until after you leave the store.  Tuck the ticket and validation receipt carefully into your bra or some other very secure place.... walk out of the store calmly without running. Wait til you get home behind locked doors to do your yelling and whooping.     

johnph77's avatarjohnph77

When California first legalized a state-owned lottery, in order to overcome the vehement opposition to what is considered legalized gambling, the state enacted the provision that all payouts for all games were to be pari-mutuel. Pari-mutuel payouts guarantee that the state will receive a set percentage of the total amount wagered - it's a no-lose proposition. When MegaMillions came, the payouts for the lower-tier prizes were also made pari-mutuel, based on the sales within the state alone.

You hear about other states where, for instance, when the Pick 3 number is a popular one like 777, the total payout is more than what was wagered on the game for that day. The state publicizes this and cries all the way to the poorhouse. A likely story, since it seldom happens and nothing is ever said about the long-term gross profits, which are always close to the calculated payout percentage. Pari-mutuel payouts eliminate this, meaning California doesn't have to maintain a daily float to cover incidents like that.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by johnph77 on Jun 16, 2008

When California first legalized a state-owned lottery, in order to overcome the vehement opposition to what is considered legalized gambling, the state enacted the provision that all payouts for all games were to be pari-mutuel. Pari-mutuel payouts guarantee that the state will receive a set percentage of the total amount wagered - it's a no-lose proposition. When MegaMillions came, the payouts for the lower-tier prizes were also made pari-mutuel, based on the sales within the state alone.

You hear about other states where, for instance, when the Pick 3 number is a popular one like 777, the total payout is more than what was wagered on the game for that day. The state publicizes this and cries all the way to the poorhouse. A likely story, since it seldom happens and nothing is ever said about the long-term gross profits, which are always close to the calculated payout percentage. Pari-mutuel payouts eliminate this, meaning California doesn't have to maintain a daily float to cover incidents like that.

NJ has the same pari-mutuel payouts.  Somehow I've never come out on the upside of that equation myself.  (Getting more than the avg. payout -- always less.)  I think pari-mutuel payouts for Pick 3 and Pick 4 stink.

As an interesting addition to your comments about California's lower-tier prizes, all of the states payout the lower-tier prizes from the ticket sales within that state.  Not just California.

The only prize funds shared are those for the jackpot, which is a straight percentage of sales.  Everything else (except for joint operating expenses) stays within the state.

California was approved with pari-mutuel prizes just because they are such a big state, so the Mega Millions states were willing to compromise.  If a state like Alaska wanted to join, I doubt they would make the same exception.

However, I would wager that they would make the exception foor Florida, if they came calling.

DC81's avatarDC81

Just so everyone knows... It wasn't me either. Unhappy I've just been quiet the last coupld days.

Now we've had a April Fools (which was also his birthday) winner and a Friday the 13th winner I wonder if it was their birthday also. Now what "special day" will the next Michigan winner hit on? Will it also be their birthday? If so that'll rule me out because there's nothing special about my birthday.

Sandra Dee's avatarSandra Dee

you see how people are already stalking the winner!? reason #495,293,492 why my attorney will claim mine through a trust - about nine months after the drawing! "We need the winner to call us" <-- why or what will happen? "we just can't wait to find out who is the winner" <-- you aint

Hit With Stick

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

SD:

Why wait so LONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>??????????

If U T@@K 25,000,000 mil to the BANK>>>>ASAP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

U would have gained about $250,000 on interest payout  $$$$$$$$$$$$$

PSYKO &  UR  lawyer could  LIVE  G@@D on  $250  G's for about  6  months

LOL

PSYKOMO

Quote: Originally posted by psykomo on Jun 16, 2008

SD:

Why wait so LONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>??????????

If U T@@K 25,000,000 mil to the BANK>>>>ASAP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

U would have gained about $250,000 on interest payout  $$$$$$$$$$$$$

PSYKO &  UR  lawyer could  LIVE  G@@D on  $250  G's for about  6  months

LOL

PSYKOMO

didn't know that - thanks for that advice .. and don't think i didn't catch that flirting with my money! you aint never gonna get it papa No NoSmiley

keepitreal

Im from Michigan too. I didn't hit jackpot. I wish it was someone from here. It make this site more fun. Like ohh omg keepitreal hit jackpot in Michigan lol.

MIlottoplayer

I live in Michigan and I know exactly where that store is that sold the winning ticket!  My wife has actually been in there before numerous times!  I used to drive past that store everyday on my way to work!   That is just so crazy that someone won the Big Mega Millions so close to where I live!   Way to go!!!!!!  On a sad note however it will now be statically impossible for another winner to be so close to where I live...i.e. ruling me out from winning now :(

Drivedabizness

Some bad info in this thread!

First, you don't have to go to the same retailer you bought it from to claim a ticket over $600 in Oregon - probably haven't had to for over 10 years.

Second - CA hasn't always had pari-mutuel prizes. You can thank our wonderful Supreme Court for legislating that one. No - it wasn't done to "get the lottery passed". Keno was a $400 million a year product before the Court ruling - the replacement, Hot Spot does a very small fraction of Keno's sales.

Lotto and Daily games took a hit too - you never know what you are playing for.

Since the Lottery Act was a Consitutional Amendment, it takes 2/3 of the Legislature to change it (which is what they would have to do to override the Supreme Court). Try getting 2/3 of our State Senators to agree on anything...

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by MIlottoplayer on Jun 16, 2008

I live in Michigan and I know exactly where that store is that sold the winning ticket!  My wife has actually been in there before numerous times!  I used to drive past that store everyday on my way to work!   That is just so crazy that someone won the Big Mega Millions so close to where I live!   Way to go!!!!!!  On a sad note however it will now be statically impossible for another winner to be so close to where I live...i.e. ruling me out from winning now :(

Hey, back in early 2006 Ohio had three winners in a row, first being a $15M winner followed by a 267 and 265 million dollar winner. So anything is possible! Cheers

But the next big one is mine. MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Red Devil

DC81's avatarDC81

Hmm, looking on the MM site that 267 million dollar winner was actually 270. But still, two huge winners in the same state and back to back. They're also the sixth and seventh largest Mega Millions jackpots.

DC81's avatarDC81

Looking into it even more by reading the press releases on the Ohio Lottery's website I see all three were claimed under trusts as well. The 15 and 267/270 million dollar winners were both won in Cleveland and the third 265M winner was in Cincinnati, granted those are the two most populated cities in Ohio but still three in a row including back to back in Cleveland says something and we don't know who they really are. So even more so, where you are doesn't matter. I think it's a little weird that a two to five million dollar difference in the annuities was a ten million dollar difference (150/149M) with the cash option, that seems like a lot and the difference seems like it shouldn't be that big.

Okay three post in a row, I really should stop doing that.... Anyway, don't give up! Hyper

MIlottoplayer

No, I appreciate all your 3 posts in a row :)  It gives me "hope" again.   Now if only the gas prices will go down so I can have my extra spending cash for my tickets...

Piaceri

So, it will me me then.  My bday falls on a Tuesday.  The plan is buy some tickets from each of the Detroit area townships, a couple from the west coast, some from the middle of the mitten.  All from mom & pop stores, no big chains.

But, ya'll gotta wait til Oct to find out....I'll let Todd post my winning ticket. Hurray!

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Jun 17, 2008

So, it will me me then.  My bday falls on a Tuesday.  The plan is buy some tickets from each of the Detroit area townships, a couple from the west coast, some from the middle of the mitten.  All from mom & pop stores, no big chains.

But, ya'll gotta wait til Oct to find out....I'll let Todd post my winning ticket. Hurray!

oooh .. please pass me some of what you're smoking! Jack-in-the-Box as for buying tickets, i thought i was the only one that doesn't mind travelling out of area for them ... need to throw off people that may be lirking me .. i rarely buy one in my town -

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story