Lancaster County man claims $86M Powerball lottery jackpot

Aug 8, 2008, 12:51 pm (27 comments)

Powerball

New millionaire got ticket for free; shares wealth with relatives

Barrie Edwards of Willow Street did not buy the Aug. 2 Powerball ticket that earned him over $42 million — he received the promotional ticket for free when he purchased two Pennsylvania Lottery Match 6 tickets. Now, Edwards and his wife are sharing their good fortune with a dozen relatives.

Secretary of Revenue Tom Wolf and Lottery Executive Director Ed Trees today presented a ceremonial check for $42,529,765.37, less 25 percent federal withholding, to 14 members of the Edwards and Funk families of Lancaster County, holders of the single jackpot-winning ticket from the Aug. 2 Powerball drawing.

The families' jackpot-winning ticket matched all five white balls, 02-05-28-33-54, and the red Powerball, 30, to win the jackpot, which grew over nine drawings to an annuity value of $86.3 million. The $42.5 million cash prize won by the Edwards and Funks is the 10th largest prize awarded in Pennsylvania Lottery history.

"The Edwards and Funk families weren't the only winners in the Aug. 2 Powerball drawing," said Wolf. "Pennsylvania's older residents benefit from programs funded by Lottery proceeds, and the Aug. 2 jackpot generated more than $6.2 million for those programs."

Barrie Edwards watched the televised Powerball drawing to learn he held the jackpot-winning ticket. He immediately ran to share the news with his wife, Jean, who had gone to bed.

Shortly after the drawing, the Edwards called Terry and Linda Edwards, Barrie's brother and sister-in-law, to inform them of the jackpot win.
Barrie and Terry Edwards and family members have purchased Lottery tickets for years, and long ago they made a verbal agreement that if one of them won a large jackpot, the prize would be split among family members, all of whom are natives or long-time residents of Lancaster County.

The family members to share in the jackpot prize are as follows: Barrie and Jean Edwards of Willow Street, Lancaster County will receive $17,064,882.50; Terry and Linda Edwards of Willow Street, Lancaster County will receive $17,064,882.50; Robert and Elaine Funk of Mountville, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million; Jeffrey and Donna Funk of Mountville, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million; Melanie Funk of Lancaster will receive $1.4 million; Gerald and Lynn Hess of Davidson, North Carolina will receive $1.4 million; K. Scott Edwards of Lusby, Maryland will receive 1.4 million; and Ronald and Yvonne Edwards of Washington Boro, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million.

The jackpot-winning Powerball ticket was a $1 quick-pick generated free in conjunction with a Lottery promotion. Barrie Edwards purchased two Match 6 tickets to receive his free Powerball ticket at the Turkey Hill store on Willow Street Pike in Willow Street, Lancaster County. Turkey Hill received a $100,000 bonus for selling the winning jackpot ticket.

On behalf of the group, Jean Edwards presented the winning ticket for validation yesterday at Lottery headquarters in Middletown after consulting with legal and financial counsel. After examining the ticket and executing propriety security measures, Lottery officials confirmed that it was the jackpot-winning ticket from the Aug. 2 Powerball drawing.

The Edwards and Funk families are the 10th Pennsylvania Lottery Powerball winners since Pennsylvania joined the multi-jurisdictional game in June 2002. Powerball tickets are sold in 31 participating jurisdictions — 29 states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands.  Starting in January, 2009, Florida will also participate.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

RJOh's avatarRJOh

That's some winning system that he has.

Real Winners

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

I take it,that's not "EZ"?

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

It's not EZmoney. I can't believe there are still people here who believe it was him who won. Disapprove

My comment is not directed at JonnyBgood07 or RJOh, but on the other threads involving him.

duckman's avatarduckman

This shows once again that it only takes 1 ticket to win...even if it is just a free/promo quick pick.

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

long ago they made a verbal agreement that if one of them won a large jackpot, the prize would be split among family members, all of whom are natives or long-time residents of Lancaster County.

are there tax advantages to doing this? that's the only way I would split it!!!

JimMay

On Tuesday, I used that same exact coupon that the lottery has for this month that the guy used to win the powerball jackpot, NO LUCK

DC81's avatarDC81

Unless they have something in writing or something set up beforehand they might get hit HARD at tax time. Verbal agreements don't mean anything to the IRS, do they? Still, congrats to them all, heh I wonder if the Edwards side is any relation to David.. >_> <_<<br />
No EZMoney there, not a surprise, so long for what little credibility he had left, he's now officially a troll and joke account. Too bad it probably won't be enough to get him banned.

Unless they have something in writing or something set up beforehand they might get hit HARD at tax time.

I hope the ones that took home the 1.7 million share were smart enough not to quit their jobs. 

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Congrats to the Edwards and Funk families!

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on Aug 8, 2008

Unless they have something in writing or something set up beforehand they might get hit HARD at tax time.

I hope the ones that took home the 1.7 million share were smart enough not to quit their jobs. 

Nah, the people they'd be gifting it to would be fine I think, though they probably shouldn't quit anyway. It's the winner who is going to be nailed big time if they go through with this if this isn't something that was legitimately planned out before hand. I doubt the IRS would take their word for it that this verbal agreement existed before winning. I wonder if they paid a visit to an accountant/CPA or tax attorney, if not then they probably should.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

So very pleased to see it was a local family! Excellent choice to *give* in the share instead of being stuck with more gift taxes. ANd yes- verbal contracts are upheld in courts, ask anyone who pledged to get married then backed out. The fiancee can sue for breach of promise (and often wins!).

There is a CAP on taxes so no harm or foul in being able to walk away with more millions then they had the week before:)

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I doubt if any of this money will be considered a gift by the IRS since the ticket itself had no value (not even $1 ...  it was a free play!)  The prize was paid out to the individual family members, so they'll each be responsible for their own taxes.  At least that's the way I see it.

Regarding the money, how much do you really need?  To the people who say they would never share that much, do you realize they're still getting over $17 million each (before tax) and will net around $11 million?  Just the interest alone is more than 1/2 million a year without ever touching the principal.  You can't take it with you when you finally kick the bucket, so why not share it?

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Aug 8, 2008

I doubt if any of this money will be considered a gift by the IRS since the ticket itself had no value (not even $1 ...  it was a free play!)  The prize was paid out to the individual family members, so they'll each be responsible for their own taxes.  At least that's the way I see it.

Regarding the money, how much do you really need?  To the people who say they would never share that much, do you realize they're still getting over $17 million each (before tax) and will net around $11 million?  Just the interest alone is more than 1/2 million a year without ever touching the principal.  You can't take it with you when you finally kick the bucket, so why not share it?

Robert and Elaine Funk of Mountville, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million; Jeffrey and Donna Funk of Mountville, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million; Melanie Funk of Lancaster will receive $1.4 million; Gerald and Lynn Hess of Davidson, North Carolina will receive $1.4 million; K. Scott Edwards of Lusby, Maryland will receive 1.4 million; and Ronald and Yvonne Edwards of Washington Boro, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million.

I'm talking about these people ^^^^

After a taxes you have to figure they get less than a million.  I'm 30 wouldn't even quit my job for 1.4 million.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Where is the LP shout out EZ? LOL Told you. Lancaster is near me! I am still waiting for a big hit in my town, and I am planning on it being me soon.

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

"He received the promotional ticket for free when he purchased two Pennsylvania Lottery Match 6 tickets."

I played the same promotion, but no win here. One QP for another game that he did not even expect would match one number probably, ends up the winner. I guess the logo on the coupns is right. "You could win millions just by clipping coupons." Something like that. Sickening.

Badger's avatarBadger

Quote: Originally posted by duckman on Aug 8, 2008

This shows once again that it only takes 1 ticket to win...even if it is just a free/promo quick pick.

Yup.   In the end, it all depends on which numbers are drawn.  Each line has the same chance, regardless of how hard or how much time the player spends using a system.  If one of those system lines are drawn, he/she wins.  But the chance of any one being drawn are really no better than any other, including a quickpick.

I think we just like to pretend we have a better chance if we use a system and a "rational" approach.

That don't make it true.

eproducer

This sort of plays to an earlier post of forming a lottery club. It reads like they had a set percentage to split the winnings. They each will pay their taxes on this income. If the man had made the claim on his own and then turned around and split the winnings not only would the recipients pay he would be charged the gift tax. Does anyone know how this was set up?

beb!'s avatarbeb!

Quote: Originally posted by Badger on Aug 9, 2008

Yup.   In the end, it all depends on which numbers are drawn.  Each line has the same chance, regardless of how hard or how much time the player spends using a system.  If one of those system lines are drawn, he/she wins.  But the chance of any one being drawn are really no better than any other, including a quickpick.

I think we just like to pretend we have a better chance if we use a system and a "rational" approach.

That don't make it true.

I Agree!

LckyLary

I was hoping to read or hear that "The winning ticket was sold in Delaware Water Gap and the winner has still not come forward, and they picked their own numbers."

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on Aug 9, 2008

Robert and Elaine Funk of Mountville, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million; Jeffrey and Donna Funk of Mountville, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million; Melanie Funk of Lancaster will receive $1.4 million; Gerald and Lynn Hess of Davidson, North Carolina will receive $1.4 million; K. Scott Edwards of Lusby, Maryland will receive 1.4 million; and Ronald and Yvonne Edwards of Washington Boro, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million.

After a taxes you have to figure they get less than a million.  I'm 30 wouldn't even quit my job for 1.4 million.

First, since it was Lancaster County, I was wondering if they were all going to be named Yoder, that would have been quite interesting!

GamerMom, it's said that the average American finishes the year $500 deeper in debt than they started it, and an additionalt $300 a month would get them out of the financial rut that most are stuck in.

That being the case, $1.4 million out of the blue should help, even a pre-tax $1.4 million. I can understand you saying at 30 you'd keep working, but that really is a person by person, case by case situation.

As has been said by some sages, it's not how much you get but how much you keep of what you get.

I would like to see a follow up on all these people a few years from now.

DC81's avatarDC81

LOL That would have been interesting. I've known some non-Amish Yoders but I still got a mental image of "pimped out" horses and buggies from that... Though I was under the impression that Amish in that area are still pretty strict, even more so compared to the many Amish families around where I live. I'd say I wonder what the Amish stance is on gambling but I'm pretty sure they're against it like anything else that's fun. Well, except for the ones who were a part of a drug ring. Then again, knowing the Amish that probably had no fun either, aside from the times I'm sure they sampled their own product, but in the least fun way possible. Evil Looking

jeb31's avatarjeb31

nice to see someone in PA win.

aaaok

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on Aug 9, 2008

Are you sure this isnt just a first payment amount?

Win you win big and take the cash dont they give you one check to hold you over till they transfer the big dollars? Atleast that was what i thought. i may be wrong!!1

Wasnt the annuity 86 million 43 million cash? minus 25 percent for federal would be 30 million divided by 5 would be 6 million a piece?

Again i may be wrong but  but i still think they are due another 5 million a piece.

dejack03

"After a taxes you have to figure they get less than a million.  I'm 30 wouldn't even quit my job for 1.4 million."

I'm 24 and I agree.  The money would make a great investment though!

aaaok

Quote: Originally posted by aaaok on Aug 10, 2008

Are you sure this isnt just a first payment amount?

Win you win big and take the cash dont they give you one check to hold you over till they transfer the big dollars? Atleast that was what i thought. i may be wrong!!1

Wasnt the annuity 86 million 43 million cash? minus 25 percent for federal would be 30 million divided by 5 would be 6 million a piece?

Again i may be wrong but  but i still think they are due another 5 million a piece.

Well i decided too look into it and see why i am being told wrong amoounts. i dont know about you but i know i dont pay 84% income tax.

i was saying there was still 30 million out there that wasnt being listed by GamerMom, well here goes where that 30 million is and why theres proof that the winners dont have to pay 7/8ths of their winnings to the goverment.

"The family members to share in the jackpot prize are as follows:  Barrie and Jean Edwards of Willow Street, Lancaster County will receive $17,064,882.50;  Terry and Linda Edwards of Willow Street, Lancaster County will receive $17,064,882.50;  Robert and Elaine Funk of Mountville, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million; Jeffrey and Donna Funk of Mountville, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million; Melanie Funk of Lancaster will receive $1.4 million; Gerald and Lynn Hess of Davidson, North Carolina will receive $1.4 million; K. Scott Edwards of Lusby, Maryland will receive 1.4 million; and Ronald and Yvonne Edwards of Washington Boro, Lancaster County will receive $1.4 million."

Kaptainess's avatarKaptainess

ALL tax experts tell you to take the lump sum and invest it and live off of your OWN annuity.  I don't think these folks got any legal advice, which the lotto commission advises you to do.    Be nice to have brains AND money at the same time?

Uff Da!'s avatarUff Da!

Quote: Originally posted by Kaptainess on Aug 10, 2008

ALL tax experts tell you to take the lump sum and invest it and live off of your OWN annuity.  I don't think these folks got any legal advice, which the lotto commission advises you to do.    Be nice to have brains AND money at the same time?

Hmmmmmmm, I don't think you read the whole article before commenting.  In the second to last paragraph it says, "On behalf of the group, Jean Edwards presented the winning ticket for validation yesterday at Lottery headquarters in Middletown after consulting with legal and financial counsel."

Did you believe they took the annuity?  No, they took the cash option.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story