Lottery ticket has all the numbers, but 7 seconds late

Oct 8, 2008, 6:54 pm (23 comments)

Canada Super 7

Joel Ifergan came within seven seconds of becoming a multi-millionaire, and he's ready to go to court to claim his windfall.

Mr. Ifergan bought a lottery ticket one night at 8:59 p.m., but Loto-Québec's computers processed and printed it only after the draw's deadline at 9 p.m.

It turned out to be a winning ticket — but it popped out of the machine too late. Now, Mr. Ifergan is suing Quebec's behemoth lottery corporation for $13.5 million, saying that the machine's time lag cost him his share of the $27 million prize.

"I played by their rules. I purchased a ticket prior to 9 p.m. It's not my fault their technology is slow," Mr. Ifergan said yesterday.

Mr. Ifergan's saga began one night in May when he drove to the Dairy Queen near his home in suburban Dollard-des-Ormeaux for an ice cream. Realizing there was a Super 7 grand prize draw that night, he went into a convenience store in the strip mall to try his luck.

It was 8:59 p.m., and ticket sales for the draw continued until 9 p.m.

He asked storeowner Mehernosh Iranpur if he still had time to buy tickets. Mr. Iranpur checked the clock on his Loto-Québec terminal. It read 8:59 p.m.

Mr. Iranpur entered two ticket requests into the terminal.

"I punched twice, before 9 p.m.," Mr. Iranpur recalled yesterday in an interview. "The first ticket came out. I said, 'It's still 8:59, it's still 8:59!' "

The second ticket, however, didn't come out until seven seconds after 9 p.m., making it eligible for the next draw.

The next morning, Mr. Ifergan was drinking his coffee at home and checked the lottery numbers in the newspaper. He was elated for a few seconds when he realized he held a winning combination of seven numbers for the previous night's draw.

But the numbers were on the second ticket — the one issued after 9 p.m.

"I was in shock, in total shock," he said. "I couldn't believe it. I started to scream."

Someone else also held the winning numbers and was awarded the entire $27 million prize. Mr. Ifergan says he's owed half of it, so he's claiming $13.5 million in his suit.

According to Mr. Ifergan's statement of claim filed in Quebec Superior Court, Loto-Québec technicians admitted to a delay of eight to 10 seconds between the request of a lottery ticket and the processing time in Loto-Québec's central computer.

The technicians, speaking to Mr. Ifergan and his lawyer, also said that because of the large jackpot prize on May 23, the night Mr. Ifergan bought his ticket, strong demand probably pushed the processing delay to 10 seconds, the claim states.

Loto-Québec's website says the deadline for Super 7 wagers is Friday at 9 p.m., and so do ads in stores that sell lottery tickets, the lawsuit says. Loto-Québec doesn't advertise the requirement that a Super 7 lottery ticket be purchased and processed by the corporation's central computer by the 9 p.m. deadline, it adds.

Mr. Ifergan's lawyer, Robert Pancer, says he could find no precedent for this case, which he says rests on the issue of responsibility.

"The consumer is not responsible for the delays relating to the printing of the ticket," he said. "He [Mr. Ifergan] acquired the ticket prior to the 9 p.m. deadline. It's just crazy."

Loto-Québec refused to comment on the case because it is before the courts.

But the dispute drew plenty of comments on call-in shows. Many were unsympathetic.

"I find it reflects two traits you find in people nowadays — to do everything at the last minute, and to blame others for our faults," a woman named Sabrina wrote on the website of one TV call-in show.

"It's not the machine that was slow," wrote a woman named Marie-Pier, "it was him!"

Mr. Ifergan said he already had some tickets for the Super 7 draw, and the ones from Mr. Iranpur's store were simply bought on an impulse because he happened to park in front of the convenience store.

"This is a David and Goliath case," the father of two said of his fight against the lottery corporation. "They have limitless amounts of money. And they have too much to lose to admit they have a glitch in their system."

He admitted that with the economy in turmoil, the cash "would look very nice in my bank account." All that's in the bank for now, however, is the disputed ticket — in a safety deposit box.

CTV

Comments

Drivedabizness

This (surprise, surprise) looks like naked greed to me.

First - most lotteries prevent this very thing (and also attempts at past posting) by using draw breaks. I'm amazed that Lotto Quebec (at least according to the article) doesn't have them.

8-10 seconds is a long, long transaction time. Most lotteries require systems to print the ticket in under 4 seconds from "Send" to "Cut". A system that can't support the meager volume Lotto Quebec was generating is certainly not "Canada Class", let alone "world-class".

I know Canada likes to give their provinces a lot of autonomy. However there are cases on point in Canada that clearly say that what the system recorded is what lotteries have to pay. If it recorded the wager as occuring after the end of wagering for that draw, its for the next one.

petergrfn

Wow.  If I were that guy I would be a little PO'ed as well.  Losing a winning ticket or having it invalidated would be rough.   I try and buy my tickets early to avoid lines and problems.  For some reason if I try and buy tickets close to the cut off the machines are slower, customers in front of me are very slow, or someone is trying to pay for a case of beer with a pocket full of change!!  This is why I don't like buying at Convience Stores but I like buying at small stores that are owned by a single individual.

pacattack05

I once read a sign in a deli, right at the counter were people order. It read... I'm paraphrasing...."Your inability to make a decision does not constitute an emergency on my part".

This guy is an idiot. He's not gonna win the case.

The deadline is whatever time the machine spits the ticket out. Period. The court will find in favor of the officials at the lottery because of some law that'll probably state a reasonable time lag for a computer of that nature making that many calculations in an overload of people buying tix.

noahproblem

Does this lottery's quick pick generator (I'm guessing the two tickets purchased were QP's, based on what I'm reading here) allow or disallow picking an already chosen combo? If the latter there's no way he could have had those numbers if the bet came in on time, since the story said there was already a winning combo.

MaddMike51

Don't wait until the last possible minute to buy your lottery tickets.

Theres an old saying that goes like this:If you snooze,you lose.

He lost.His own fault.

bogeytrain

Here in my state (a Powerball state), our lottery terminals won't sell/print tickets from 8:30pm to 8:40pm on the night of a draw. Not sure if this is common for other Powerball states or Megamillions...but it seems like a good way to avoid this type of thing happening.

I really feel for the guy...I can't imagine him getting anything out of this except a lifetime of regret at what could have been. That being said...waiting until the last minute is just asking for trouble.

Regardless of the outcome, it's a good lesson for all of us here.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

It's sad that the guy lost out on the jackpot, but he shouldn't have waited till the last minute to get his tickets.

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Crazy guy. Reminds me of my friend who buys it few mins before its over...there's no thrill in that, only high stress, and anxiety.

Just hope there isn't people like him on the streets driving...waiting last min and cuts through people, drifting corners, speeding through risking his and other's lives so he can be fashionablely late. Haha

Drivedabizness

You folks clearly DO NOT get it.

RNG's are not, are usually ARE NOt, the issue.

Central systems have no link to the numbers assigned at the point of purchase. The terminal simply makes sure that the numbers on "Play A" don't duplicate "all the numbers on Play B" - that's it!

Guess what kids - the system worked the way it was supposed to. Do you want a square chance to win all of your prize? Or do you want someone to be able to say - "I think I should have 1/2 of that jackpot"???. People like this have to be weeded out - period.

JAP69's avatarJAP69

"I punched twice, before 9 p.m.," Mr. Iranpur recalled yesterday in an interview. "The first ticket came out. I said, 'It's still 8:59, it's still 8:59!' "

The second ticket, however, didn't come out until seven seconds after 9 p.m., making it eligible for the next draw.

It appears to me the terminal machine should be programmed for the ticket time to be when the data or playslip is entered. Not when the ticket is printed.

Enter data at 8:59 and 55 seconds the machine should print ticket time at 8:59 and 55 seconds.

amininflorida

Quote: Originally posted by noahproblem on Oct 8, 2008

Does this lottery's quick pick generator (I'm guessing the two tickets purchased were QP's, based on what I'm reading here) allow or disallow picking an already chosen combo? If the latter there's no way he could have had those numbers if the bet came in on time, since the story said there was already a winning combo.

Wow every player's NIGHTMARE! Evil Smile, but this is why I agree that EVERYONE should be taking care of their ticket buys (especially a big prize draw like this) -  and I know he already had tics but bought on impulse - these things should not be done last second.  Like, when I tell my family I am gonna go buy tickets and they say "you have two hours, what's the rush?"   I tell them better safe than sorry (especially because I usually selct my numbers right from the quick pick generator on this site it's a game I play with myself) !

Now I currently live in Florida, but I grew up in Ontario and to answer your question above, NO THE GENERATOR does not restrict the player from being a duplicator of a previously played set..The way Super 7 works (AND  it is my favourite Canadian lottery FOREVER) is that you pick 7/47  and pay $2 for a ticket.  However, the ticket consists of three lines of 7 numbers per ticket (so if you select your own set , every set you select is $2 , and in turn you receive also 2 quick pick lines for every 1 selection you picked!)  Liek I say, it is a great value for your money , especially when the Canadian  lotteries are TAX FREE!!

Now let's look at this from another perspective... CAN U IMAGINE  being the person who actually won the $27 million?? HOW LUCKY would that  guy feel?? 

As far as my forecast goes, I predict that there is a VERY slim chance of the ciurts ruking in his favor especially because it could possibly cause a situation where the canadian lottery actually loses money on a draw!

I know I would not rule in his favor....a clock is a clock !!

And WOW ... Super 7 ... 7 seconds late......7 SURE is not this guy's number huh??Ponder

Good Luck to EVERYBODY ALWAYS!!! Cheers

Stew12's avatarStew12

Quote: Originally posted by JAP69 on Oct 9, 2008

It appears to me the terminal machine should be programmed for the ticket time to be when the data or playslip is entered. Not when the ticket is printed.

Enter data at 8:59 and 55 seconds the machine should print ticket time at 8:59 and 55 seconds.

I Agree!

I usually get aggrivated when people try to take advantage of the system, but I can't say I'd be doing anything different if I were in this guy's shoes.  There have been plenty of times I went in to buy tickets late, simply because I work in another state and can't get home in time some evenings.  If he was intending in purchasing tickets for that evening's drawing, and it was machine lag that caused the ticket to be late, I hope he gets it.  Everyone else would do the same thing if they were in his position.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Stew12 on Oct 9, 2008

I Agree!

I usually get aggrivated when people try to take advantage of the system, but I can't say I'd be doing anything different if I were in this guy's shoes.  There have been plenty of times I went in to buy tickets late, simply because I work in another state and can't get home in time some evenings.  If he was intending in purchasing tickets for that evening's drawing, and it was machine lag that caused the ticket to be late, I hope he gets it.  Everyone else would do the same thing if they were in his position.

I Agree!  Most players if they had an argumentable chance of winning the jackpot would probably try to take advantage of it. 

In Ohio, terminals are suppose to shut down or change over to the next drawing 15 minutes before the drawing.  I've played the MegaMillions game as late as 10:50 pm but I accept the risk that the terminal might print my tickets for the next drawing.  I don't understand why Loto-Québec doesn't have a similar disclaimer.

MysteryMan424's avatarMysteryMan424

I find it interesting that a few posters on this lottery site would side with the lottery on this issue. Basicially we are all trying to be in that guys shoes. If the cut-off time for that night's drawing was 9 pm there should have been at the least a 5 minute gap before tickets for the next drawing could be printed. This way there's no confusion, the clerk says tonight's drawing is closed you can purchase tickets for the next drawing in a couple of minutes. Jeez you know how many jackpots go unclaimed- mabye they should put that money into a special account just for a situation like this. I hope that guy wins his case, since the machine gave out the ticket late.

neverwins

well it has to SUCK to be that guy... I would be so annoyed.

But at the same time I agree with what you guys are saying. Firstly if it WAS a QP, then there's no way he could prove that he actually would've got those same numbers if the ticket did print 7 seconds earlier. Secondly it is his own fault for getting the ticket at the last minute. That's why they have cut-off times, so you know when to get it before! 

I do feel for him though, the worst part would be thinking you'd won, then realising you missed out!

Amanda Jester

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

Wow! What a tear jerker!  Very sad for the poor guy!

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by MysteryMan424 on Oct 9, 2008

I find it interesting that a few posters on this lottery site would side with the lottery on this issue. Basicially we are all trying to be in that guys shoes. If the cut-off time for that night's drawing was 9 pm there should have been at the least a 5 minute gap before tickets for the next drawing could be printed. This way there's no confusion, the clerk says tonight's drawing is closed you can purchase tickets for the next drawing in a couple of minutes. Jeez you know how many jackpots go unclaimed- mabye they should put that money into a special account just for a situation like this. I hope that guy wins his case, since the machine gave out the ticket late.

We're not on the side of the lottery, we're on the side of common sense and responsibility. The machine gave him his ticket exactly on time. The problem is that he got to the game too late. That's not the lottery's problem.  If there was a 5 minute gap, he wouldn't have gotten either  ticket. Not having a break as they move from one game to the next gives the last minute players a chance that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

"The consumer is not responsible for the delays relating to theprinting of the ticket," he said. "He [Mr. Ifergan] acquired the ticketprior to the 9 p.m. deadline. It's just crazy."

He may have asked for the ticket before 9, but he acquired the ticket after 9. The consumer may not be responsible for the delay, but neither is the lottery, and the delay is in processing the request, not printing the ticket. It takes a few seconds to process the request and log it in the database. That's just a fact of life. If he doesn't like it he should buy his tickets earlier.

bashley572's avatarbashley572

Quote: Originally posted by MysteryMan424 on Oct 9, 2008

I agree with 100% Mysteryman424!  If we here @ LP can figure out a simple way to make the system work to avoid these types of issues then the Lottery should be forced to pay him for THERE failure to have a proper cut-off set up.  Should be interesting to see what the court says.

Stew12's avatarStew12

Not having a break as they move from one game to the next gives the last minute players a chance that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

A break in the system would not give the last minute players any extra chance, it would force the early players for the next game to wait 5 minutes.

Current: Sales end 8:59:59, next sales begin at 9:00:00.

With Break: Sales end at 8:59:59, next sales begin at 9:05:00.

This would cause any ticket entered at 9:00:00-9:04:59 to throw an error and alert the player the sales are closed, instead of printing out a ticket for the next draw and letting the player assume he purchased the ticket for the draw which he intended to.

I know I've purchased a few tickets right at the deadline, because there were reasons out of my hands that kept me from getting to the convinient store earlier.  I can sympathize with this guy.  I doubt anyone here would do anything differently than he is doing right now either.  Letting $13,500,000 go is much easier said than done.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Oct 9, 2008

It's sad that the guy lost out on the jackpot, but he shouldn't have waited till the last minute to get his tickets.

I Agree!

I did a similar thing last year playing MM when the jackpot was high. The cut-off time was 10:45 PM and handed the clerk at a drive-thru ten play slips with 46 combinations around 10:40. When I looked at the tickets, 6 of them were for that nights drawing and the other 4 were for the next drawing. I had played all 46 bonus numbers and got lucky when the number drawn that night was among the 30 combos I had for that nights drawing and none of the other 16 combos would have won.

Whether it's asking for QPs or handing the clerk play slips, we are asking for tickets in the next drawing and the cut-off time is determined by the lottery terminal not by my watch, cell phone or the clock on the wall. I would have been sick if the winning numbers were for the wrong drawing but the fault would be mine for waiting too long.

Wintariofan

Here in Ontario there is a 10 minute draw shut down from 9 PM to 9:10 PM, I am surprised that Loto-Quebec does not have this since Super 7 is a national game.  The rules set out by ILC should be the same in each lottery jurisdiction.  Interesting.   

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

"Current: Sales end 8:59:59, next sales begin at 9:00:00.

With Break: Sales end at 8:59:59, next sales begin at 9:05:00."

That may be a possibility, but it's just as likely that sales would stop 5 minutes sooner. Any way they do it some players will complain. Cry me a river, but it's the players' fault if they can't buy their tickets at a time that let's them get what they want.

BobP's avatarBobP

If this case makes it to a jury, they're going to consider intent.  Was this guy trying to cheat the lottery getting a ticket in just after the draw, or was he simply trying to buy his tickets an hour before the draw and the system delay did him in. 

If I ever came that close, I can't see not taking the shot to collect. 

Of course the real winner will likely also have to file suit to collect the full amount of the prize if the court awards this guy half. 

I've been on both sides of this with ebay drawings, where I've gotten my bid in 30 seconds before the deadline and times when I've been outbid ten seconds before the deadline where dialup delay keeps me from getting one more bid in.  Not like you can sue ebay to make them give you that prized item.

BobP

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story