$170 MILLION: Mega Millions lottery jackpot raised

Dec 6, 2008, 8:30 am (61 comments)

Mega Millions

Lottery jackpot hunters will have a big target next Tuesday, when a $170 million jackpot is up from grabs in the multi-state Mega Millions lottery game.

The huge pot came about after no tickets won last night's $146 million jackpot drawing.  On Tuesday, players will attempt to match all five numbers plus the Mega Ball number to win the top prize.

There were 8 second-prize winners from Friday night's drawing: 2 from California, 1 from Georgia, 1 from New York, 2 from Ohio, 1 from Texas, and 1 from Washington.

Each second prize ticket matched all five lotto numbers but not the Mega Ball number to win $250,000 apiece, except for California winner, who will get $158,981.

Unlike the other eleven Mega Millions states, California has pari-mutuel payouts at every prize level, so winners are paid an amount based on ticket sales and number of winners.

Also, 56 players matched four of the five lotto numbers, plus the Mega Ball number. Those tickets are each worth $10,000, except for 6 California tickets, which are worth $14,452 each.

The winning numbers from Friday night's drawing were: 21, 27, 46, 52, and 55 . The Mega Ball number was 14.

The Texas Megaplier was 3.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

What a great time of year for a growing jackpot! It's about time! I hope I win...fingers crossed!!!!

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Exciting!

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Roll Eyes

myturn08

its a very nice sum, its coming back to GA, i got this one ;-)

Bradly_60's avatarBradly_60

IT has been a LONG time since the jackpot has been this high.  Over the summer and fall is seemed like they were won every couple weeks.  Could this be a record breaker around Christmas time?

Brad

bob27's avatarbob27

This will be last big jackpot this year,and somebody will end up with big money.

Jimhowlett

The excitement of a growing 9 digit jackpot is what brings me to play MM...I hope it keeps going til at least XMAS!!! I don't think it would reach record digits before then, or even the new year at this pace, but I always love to see it hit record digits. I think the record is $410M right now...

Jimhowlett

Quote: Originally posted by Bradly_60 on Dec 6, 2008

IT has been a LONG time since the jackpot has been this high.  Over the summer and fall is seemed like they were won every couple weeks.  Could this be a record breaker around Christmas time?

Brad

Agreed...that was my main beef. There was a pretty decent one in July and August but besides those they were won often and at low JPs.

I hope it keeps growing for a while

myturn08

Quote: Originally posted by Jimhowlett on Dec 6, 2008

Agreed...that was my main beef. There was a pretty decent one in July and August but besides those they were won often and at low JPs.

I dont see whats the problem with someone winning every couple of weeks.  I like it that way, more chances for other people to win, who really needs 100 millions dollars or more, spread the winnings!!!!!

lottocalgal's avatarlottocalgal

Quote: Originally posted by myturn08 on Dec 6, 2008

I dont see whats the problem with someone winning every couple of weeks.  I like it that way, more chances for other people to win, who really needs 100 millions dollars or more, spread the winnings!!!!!

I agree,

I woudl rather had multiple winners every few weeks than one person winning $100 million every few months.  More dreams coming true.  I know I can live off 10 million, heck even 5 millions with my lifestyle.

bob27's avatarbob27

In today's economy even people who  never played,they will.I think jackpot will go up fast,because of

xmas and end of  year.

Bradly_60's avatarBradly_60

Quote: Originally posted by lottocalgal on Dec 6, 2008

I agree,

I woudl rather had multiple winners every few weeks than one person winning $100 million every few months.  More dreams coming true.  I know I can live off 10 million, heck even 5 millions with my lifestyle.

I look at it in a numbers sense.  I will not play until the Jackpot is at a decent amount for one reason.  Fair value of the ticket.  I really can't see buying  a ticket when the jackpot is at $20,000,000 for a chance at the jackpot.  The odds of winning are 1 in 176,000,000.  You are spending a dollar for a ticket with a fair value of about $.10.  Now the jackpot is at $170M, now the $1 investment has a fair value of almost $1.  Now is the time to play and not really when the jackpot is small. 

Brad

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by Bradly_60 on Dec 6, 2008

I look at it in a numbers sense.  I will not play until the Jackpot is at a decent amount for one reason.  Fair value of the ticket.  I really can't see buying  a ticket when the jackpot is at $20,000,000 for a chance at the jackpot.  The odds of winning are 1 in 176,000,000.  You are spending a dollar for a ticket with a fair value of about $.10.  Now the jackpot is at $170M, now the $1 investment has a fair value of almost $1.  Now is the time to play and not really when the jackpot is small. 

Brad

Even at $20,000,000, I would say you're getting a pretty good "fair value" for your ticket. The whole point of the lottery is to give people who aren't rich that one little chance of becoming rich - all on a whim. That's why the odds are so high. Why shouldn't it be that high? I mean, if you win, most of your financial troubles can potentially be taken care of. You can retire and buy all kinds of stuff.

Piaceri

Woot!  It's coming to Michigan this time! Georgia won the last one. Since the two states have practically been alternating wins this year, that means Michigan. Thumbs Up

Merry Christmas Mega Millions Players! Noel

MysteryMan424's avatarMysteryMan424

I can't believe all you lottery post geniuses let the mega roll over three times. Come on people I wanna see results!

foragoodcause's avatarforagoodcause

When i win the jackpot i won't tell nobody.The funny thing is that people i know told me if i win the lotto to remenber them like is a done deal,i like that! lol

spy153's avatarspy153

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Dec 6, 2008

Woot!  It's coming to Michigan this time! Georgia won the last one. Since the two states have practically been alternating wins this year, that means Michigan. Thumbs Up

Piaceri, the cat in your sig looks like my tiger!  Lol, they could be twins! 

This is going to make someone a very nice Christmas, indeed.    Christmas

MaddMike51

I'm hoping the next MM winning ticket was sold in Illinois.Georgia & Michigan have had more than their share of wins this year.Its time for some other states to have a shot at it.

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

Finally someone who seese it my way!!!! I have nothing wrong with winning 20 million dollars, but my point is that if I want a 20 million dollar jackpot, I can play my local NY lotto and get two plays for a dollar as opposed to 1. I think that the MEGA millions should have MEGA jackpots, and I don't think it should be won every few weeks, I think it's more exciting when you have these large pots.

Jimhowlett

Quote: Originally posted by MissNYC on Dec 6, 2008

Finally someone who seese it my way!!!! I have nothing wrong with winning 20 million dollars, but my point is that if I want a 20 million dollar jackpot, I can play my local NY lotto and get two plays for a dollar as opposed to 1. I think that the MEGA millions should have MEGA jackpots, and I don't think it should be won every few weeks, I think it's more exciting when you have these large pots.

Agreed completely. If you want a smaller jackpot, play your state lotto.

Piaceri

I Agree!

While it was good to see so many winners, ya'll are right, it is soooo much more exciting when it hits $100m and keeps rolling. 

Spy153 - That is Lily, my 9 month old beast. I have her full brother (they were rescues) and although he is twice her size, she kicks his butt all the time! You would never think it 'cuz she looks like a little stuffed kitten from the store. Big Smile

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by lottocalgal on Dec 6, 2008

I agree,

Yes Nod Same here. I can understand those who like big jackpots, but for me it doesn't matter. I want to win whether it is 15 million or 200 million.

MaddMike51

I'd be happy if I won a $10 million jackpot...but I'd be ten times happier if I won a $100 million jackpot!

Think's avatarThink

Quote: Originally posted by MaddMike51 on Dec 6, 2008

I'm hoping the next MM winning ticket was sold in Illinois.Georgia & Michigan have had more than their share of wins this year.Its time for some other states to have a shot at it.

Actually the last JP ticket sold in Michigan was sold to people from Georgia.  Thus while the ticket may have been sold in Michigan it really was a Georgia win.

I would agree that Georgia has more than its share of wins based on ticket sales and coincidentaly the drawings are held in Georgia...hmmmm....

DC81's avatarDC81

The story didn't say they were from Georgia, just that they had some property there. Of course then I think it was the next winner, who also won the same amount being from from Georgia. I was waiting for that story to mention that they had some land in Michigan and they were going to retire up here, but of course that'd be silly. No one wants to retire in Michigan, let alone move here.

Piaceri

I think there is some confusion here. According to USA Mega, the last MM win was the 10/21 drawing $42m, winner in GA.  Just prior to that, on 10/03 another $42m winner, this time from Mi (I think the ones that wanted to move to GA).  DC81 - you got that last part right! When I win MM (or the market improves so I can sell my house without losing my retirement savings - whichever comes first), Michigan will be in my rear view mirror....

Wins priot to that:

9/19, $15m Ohio

9/09 $24m Maryland

8/29 $132m - shows no winner, but next drawing is $12m - archived news says winner from Georgia (anyone know what happened here?) (another funny thing...."Drawing video not yet published" is stated for that drawing) 

7/22 $125 New Jersey

6/13 $56m Michigan

5/23 $17m Illinois/New York

5/16 $196m Ohio

4/01 $135m Michigan (the 60th birthday guy)

2/22 $270m Georgia

1/01 $33m Texas

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Dec 6, 2008

The story didn't say they were from Georgia, just that they had some property there. Of course then I think it was the next winner, who also won the same amount being from from Georgia. I was waiting for that story to mention that they had some land in Michigan and they were going to retire up here, but of course that'd be silly. No one wants to retire in Michigan, let alone move here.

I have a friend in Michigan (Battle Creek) that says property is real cheap there now. You could be a major land baron if ya hit the 170 mill jackpot! Thumbs Up

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

The excitement of a growing 9 digit jackpot is what brings me to play MM...I hope it keeps going til at least XMAS!!! I don't think it would reach record digits before then, or even the new year at this pace, but I always love to see it hit record digits. I think the record is $410M right now...

The current record is $390 million for the annuity, which worked out to about $233 million in cash. If it rolls until Christmas, figuring a bit conservatively I'd imagine something along these lines:
325 on 12/23
Right now the cash value is nearly 69% of the annuity value, and that's been creeping up with each new drawing. Since they only advertise the annuity value MM couldn't claim a new record, but assuming the cash value reaches an even 70% it would beat the current cash record if the annuity hits $333 million. Big jackpots right around Christmas have historically resulted in very good sales, so breaking the existing cash record seems pretty reasonable if it continues to roll. As a really rough figure, there's about a 15% chance of 4 more rolls, assuming the rolls I've listed.

If it does roll to the end of the year (12/30, anyway) it would be virtually impossible to miss a new record by a comfortable margin. I'd expect it to pass the hyped, but not yet seen, half billion mark.

I think there is some confusion here. According to USA Mega, the last MM win was the 10/21 drawing $42m, winner in GA.  Just prior to that, on 10/03 another $42m winner, this time from Mi (I think the ones that wanted to move to GA).  DC81 - you got that last part right! When I win MM (or the market improves so I can sell my house without losing my retirement savings - whichever comes first), Michigan will be in my rear view mirror....

Wins priot to that:

9/19, $15m Ohio

9/09 $24m Maryland

8/29 $132m - shows no winner, but next drawing is $12m - archived news says winner from Georgia (anyone know what happened here?) (another funny thing...."Drawing video not yet published" is stated for that drawing) 

7/22 $125 New Jersey

6/13 $56m Michigan

5/23 $17m Illinois/New York

5/16 $196m Ohio

4/01 $135m Michigan (the 60th birthday guy)

2/22 $270m Georgia

1/01 $33m Texas

Notice that CA is not up there; Its been that long.  It's CA time for sure.  Due to the economy my husband has stopped playing lotto altogether  (he was the MM player in the family) and I spend most of my money on CA SuperLotto Plus.  But ever so often I will drop $1 on a MM QP.  I don't actually hold my breath for MEGA since I have yet to get even one number, but I play the dollars when I visits the cities that win jackpots in CA.

MysteryMan424's avatarMysteryMan424

Assuming the majority of tickets sold are quick picks the players are at the mercy of the drawing. Friday's numbers were all high digits. Unless people are picking thier own digits the jackpot will roll over. Yet one's own selections would have been difficult to match Friday's result. If you were to make a grid of 60 numbers six rows of ten the mega ball numbers drawn on tue Nov 25 fell within the first two vertical rows consisting of 12 digits. It would have cost $168.00 to wheel those 12 digits. That doesn't always occur, but based on how the drawn numbers hit the grid its possible to eliminate from consideration a large portion of the number field thereby increasing your chances of hitting.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I'm looking A lot of MM players will be looking for those winning numbers this Tuesday.

dingo's avatardingo

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Dec 7, 2008

I'm looking A lot of MM players will be looking for those winning numbers this Tuesday.

But How? Players only guess. The numbers are in the AIR.

Lotto*Love's avatarLotto*Love

Quote: Originally posted by MaddMike51 on Dec 6, 2008

I agree with you 100%!!!! It's someone else's turn lol....Like say maybe Washington state?! Who has not won a MM Jackpot since 2006.  I'm feeling lucky people....I....I....I think I just might win this time. LOL

Wouldn't mind seeing it roll over again...a BIG win for someone right before Christmas.  I still shiver over the fact that it WILL be won sometime....and seeing its the holiday season, someone out there is living their daily routine and have NO clue they will be multi-millionaires very soon.  Just goes to show everyone keep playing because it just may be YOU and you don't want to miss out on your chance!  Even one dollar could win..even your QP could win...or even your set numbers you have chosen can win.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! OH AND HAPPY HOLIDAY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley Santa

computerhead723's avatarcomputerhead723

Quote: Originally posted by MissNYC on Dec 6, 2008

What a great time of year for a growing jackpot! It's about time! I hope I win...fingers crossed!!!!

HOW  IS   THE  JACKPOT   PAID  OUT   OVER  TIME  OR  ALL  AT  ONCE  ???/

I   cant  see  me  living  for  20 yr.   with   all  that  money I Agree!..........with  my  luck  wont   be  around  that   long.........Dead

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

What a Merry Christmas they will have!!! I hope someone who truely needs the $$$ and will spend it responsibly will win it. Good luck to all of you who play MM!!!

mken32's avatarmken32

Quote: Originally posted by myturn08 on Dec 6, 2008

its a very nice sum, its coming back to GA, i got this one ;-)

Yes.... to a man in S.E GA... Me .....

mken32's avatarmken32

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on Dec 7, 2008

What a Merry Christmas they will have!!! I hope someone who truely needs the $$$ and will spend it responsibly will win it. Good luck to all of you who play MM!!!

Thank you Gamer MOM of Thinking of me....I will be picking it up next week.

MaddMike51

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on Dec 7, 2008

I really need the money.I'll be responsible with most of but I intend to go crazy with some of it and buy things I've always wanted.Whats the point of having an insane amount of money if you can't spoil yourself and your loved ones with it?I can't take it with me so I might as well enjoy it to the max!I won't be like David Edwards or Jack Whitaker,but,like I said,I fully intend to enjoy myself.

mdmegamillplyr's avatarmdmegamillplyr

Im a cynical soul but even I think there are plenty of people who be sensible with the money, making sound investments and things... but yea Id go nuts with a million or so!

My plans when I win on Tuesday? lol...Seriously though...a family's trailer burned down a few days ago.  Such a horrible thing to happen anytime...but around the holidays is just heartbreaking.  I heard they have 3 children.  People in town are doing all they can to help them out, but it must be hard on the family not to have a home anymore or belongings.

So.........If it were me who wins, I'd buy them a new house...and replace all their clothing and other belongings.  Do whatever I can to help them start over.

But I think someones right.........I do sense Michigan winning again.  lol Painful yes....Good luck to everyone though!  I to hope it's someone who will do some good with their win.   Sure wish Washington could have a wak at that baby sometime. 

This has probably been asked before though...if you win this JP..who's going with the lump sum, and who's going with the 26 year annuity?  Why?

Piaceri

White Bounce     ....cuz I'm in Michigan, lol. Not that its really anything to be happy about. Normally.  Dead

For this amount with this high percent cash option.....its cash for me. Then it's out of Michigan for me, and giving my house to a long time friend of mine with 4 little girls. Wink  I wouldn't want to wait around to sell it otherwise.

barbos's avatarbarbos

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Dec 7, 2008

The current record is $390 million for the annuity, which worked out to about $233 million in cash. If it rolls until Christmas, figuring a bit conservatively I'd imagine something along these lines:
325 on 12/23
Right now the cash value is nearly 69% of the annuity value, and that's been creeping up with each new drawing. Since they only advertise the annuity value MM couldn't claim a new record, but assuming the cash value reaches an even 70% it would beat the current cash record if the annuity hits $333 million. Big jackpots right around Christmas have historically resulted in very good sales, so breaking the existing cash record seems pretty reasonable if it continues to roll. As a really rough figure, there's about a 15% chance of 4 more rolls, assuming the rolls I've listed.

If it does roll to the end of the year (12/30, anyway) it would be virtually impossible to miss a new record by a comfortable margin. I'd expect it to pass the hyped, but not yet seen, half billion mark.

It is actually not accurate since larger JPs accelerate at much higher pace.  If I don't take these 170M on tuesday, the next would be already 210, then 270 and then it goes into news and the craze begins...  last time indeed the leap was from 270 all the way to 390 for the annuity... This time it is not predictable - given the economy woes, it is possible even the rich guys would play. So we have maximum 4 draws left including the one on tuesday.

I have a strong feeling itz been a while since we had a California winner cause I am so very much ready for it... 

PartyChristmas

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

IF IT jackpots till xmas even im going to buy a few tickets, and i dont even live in USA

mdmegamillplyr's avatarmdmegamillplyr

Id do alot of good with that money, seriously. I would feel like I owed God, the Universe, whatever you want to call it. Id love to help people.

Sigh...White Bounce dreaming of jackpot.

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by barbos on Dec 8, 2008

It is actually not accurate since larger JPs accelerate at much higher pace.  If I don't take these 170M on tuesday, the next would be already 210, then 270 and then it goes into news and the craze begins...  last time indeed the leap was from 270 all the way to 390 for the annuity... This time it is not predictable - given the economy woes, it is possible even the rich guys would play. So we have maximum 4 draws left including the one on tuesday.

I have a strong feeling itz been a while since we had a California winner cause I am so very much ready for it... 

PartyChristmas

I really doubt it's going to jump 40M, it'll be lucky if it breaks 200M if it rolls again at the rate it's been going. Due to the weakness in the bond market, it's 50M behind the pace of where it was earlier this year after the same number of rolls. On the bright side, even with how big a difference there is in the annuity the cash difference is only about 18M.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

I wish I lived closer to the Washington border. I would have liked to pick up a ticket or two for the drawing.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Dec 8, 2008

I wish I lived closer to the Washington border. I would have liked to pick up a ticket or two for the drawing.

If you live in the western U.S. and not in California, Washington or Texas and you want to play MM, you either has to drive to one of those states or take a chance with one of those on-line services that buy lottery tickets.  I feel your pain.

Perfecttiming2's avatarPerfecttiming2

Quote: Originally posted by Lotto*Love on Dec 7, 2008

I agree with you 100%!!!! It's someone else's turn lol....Like say maybe Washington state?! Who has not won a MM Jackpot since 2006.  I'm feeling lucky people....I....I....I think I just might win this time. LOL

Wouldn't mind seeing it roll over again...a BIG win for someone right before Christmas.  I still shiver over the fact that it WILL be won sometime....and seeing its the holiday season, someone out there is living their daily routine and have NO clue they will be multi-millionaires very soon.  Just goes to show everyone keep playing because it just may be YOU and you don't want to miss out on your chance!  Even one dollar could win..even your QP could win...or even your set numbers you have chosen can win.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! OH AND HAPPY HOLIDAY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley Santa

I love your attitude!

Thanks for posting.....it so easy to smile just reading it!

Since I said "figuring a bit conservatively I'd imagine something along these lines" it's 100% accurate. I wouldn't be at all suprised if it grows a bit faster, especially if we do see 2 more rolls, but I think you're living in the past if you think it will jump to 210 on the next roll. Last May it went from 166 to 196, which is essentially the same as 170 to 200, but that was with higher interest rates. At that time an annuity increase of 30 million meant sales of about $56 million . Right now it would take sales of about 65 million to increase the annuity value to 200. Closing in on Christmas, sales are likely to go up, but I don't think we'd see an increase of almost 20% compared to last May, at least at this level.

OTOH, sales at a given level definitely fluctuate, and gas is only about half of what it was in May. While some people will be more cautious about spending in this economy, others will see the big jackpot and spend more. In the past we've seen jumps of 250 to 330 and 270 to 390. That 2nd one was 50% more than the first, and there isn't really a big difference between 250 and 270, so I assume other factors were at work.  I'd love to see it go 170, 210,260, 340 (which would be more cash than the 390 annuity), but I think that's overly optimistic. OTOH, once it goes past 300 I'm pretty sure that even a little bit past 300 would add another 100 if it rolled again. FWIW, the sales to add 100 to the annuity value are almost exactly what took it from 270 to 390.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Dec 8, 2008

If you live in the western U.S. and not in California, Washington or Texas and you want to play MM, you either has to drive to one of those states or take a chance with one of those on-line services that buy lottery tickets.  I feel your pain.

I thought those services were illegal or at least  not honored.  I  don't care much about MM but I would love to play powerball.  I wondered if I could use some type of subscription but I keep hearing that they don't exist (LEGALLY)  I have a friend that lives in AZ.  But I can't remember the last time AZ won powerball.  California seems so stingy, I would love to play something else.  i ENVY you folks that live in Ohio, that state seems to win all the time.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by lottocalgal on Dec 8, 2008

I thought those services were illegal or at least  not honored.  I  don't care much about MM but I would love to play powerball.  I wondered if I could use some type of subscription but I keep hearing that they don't exist (LEGALLY)  I have a friend that lives in AZ.  But I can't remember the last time AZ won powerball.  California seems so stingy, I would love to play something else.  i ENVY you folks that live in Ohio, that state seems to win all the time.

The same types of games often seem better in another state.  I use to drive to Indiana to buy PowerBall tickets because it has fewer bonus numbers and matching 0+1 pays $3 instead of $2 like MegaMillions and their jackpots were sometimes bigger than MM.   

I finally decided no lottery game is perfect all the time, most times there are going be one that has a better payout or a bigger jackpot somewhere else so now I stay local and play what ever is available.  Winning a jackpot will be just as sweet regardless.

Think's avatarThink

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Dec 6, 2008

Actually yes they do own land in Georgia because they  >ARE< from Georgia and are eager to move back.  I would post a link here but if I did Todd would delete it.

robmang

Damn, I didn't even know it grew so big. I went back up to my home state (Mass) for thanksgiving and bought a few tickets, of course just to lose..It was at about 110 mil then. I live in southwest florida which is a good 5 1/2 hours from Georgia :(

Quote: Originally posted by Perfecttiming2 on Dec 8, 2008

I love your attitude!

Thanks for posting.....it so easy to smile just reading it!

I've always had a hard time playing.  What I mean by that is that I always second guess myself on everything.  Would I have a greater chance if I bought at this store..or this town.  Would I have a better chance if I bought $10 worth instead of $5...when I lose..maybe I would of had a better chance if I spent $20.  Maybe I should of done the QP instead of my own picks...maybe I should of did my own picks instead of the QP..it goes on and on and on.

I was talking to my husband about some winners who say they prayed for it...one I read the other day said he "got down on his knees and asked" and I was like  gee! thats all I had to do? lol  I asked him if he thought it was just luck, or if there may be something to this......

He told me that he believes if your meant to win..you will win.  No matter where you buy it, or how much you spend.  If you did a QP or your own numbers.  If its meant to be...its meant to be.  It was a whole new light on the way I was thinking!

So...since then I've realized he was right.  If I was meant to win on a $2 ticket...well then it will happen.  I didn't mess anything up by not choosing the right numbers off my head, or bought the QP at the wrong store.    My changed way of thinking has saved me money, and kinda eased me when I lose.  Just wasn't my time..if I am even meant to win someday lol. Wonder if that winner out there will be a $1 ticket winner!?

Is it just me, or does anyone else hear about how much the actual jackpot winners bought in tickets? I always hear "they bought the winning ticket at XXXXXX" but they never say "they bought $5 worth of QP at XXXXXX."  I have heard a few...one being the guy from Georgia who won that $270M off a $2 ticket.  He said the one line was his grandkids birthdates, but never heard about the second line.  I always thought the reason they don't say much about that is if everyone see's they are winning with $1, $2...$3 tickets that they may decrease their lotto spending?  Ahh probably not..just a thought though.

Oh my.......what a Christmas it will be!!!!!!!!!!

cashmoney$girl's avatarcashmoney$girl

$ 170 million I could help alot of people, I don't wan't it all I could work with $ 250.000!Noel

MaddMike51

Quote: Originally posted by cashmoney$girl on Dec 9, 2008

$ 170 million I could help alot of people, I don't wan't it all I could work with $ 250.000!Noel

Help!I've fallen below the poverty line and I can't get up!

Piaceri

For $170m, I can help a lot of people including myself. I could do with $2,000,000 net per year.   Jester Laugh

White Bounce

JWBlue

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Dec 8, 2008

Does anyone believe those people will pay you if they have a jackpot winning ticket in their hands.  NOT A CHANCE.

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by barbos on Dec 8, 2008

PartyChristmas

Well, looks like someone was close to being right after all because it's rolled to 207M.Thumbs Up

Looking at the past year I'm a bit surprised they bumped it that high. The $30 million increase last May had actual ticket sales of just over 59 million.  With the higher cash value, this increase of 37 million would be equivalent to  an increase of almost 42 million last May, and will require sales of about  78 million tickets. That's 32% more than sales for similar annuity jackpots last May. Last February an advertised jackpot of 220 million had sales of 77 million tickets. The cash value of that jackpot was roughly $10 million less than the current cash value, but I doubt the typical player has a clue about that. Whether it's the cheap gas, the economy, Christmas (probably a bit of all 3), or something else, MM sales aren't hurting.

Texas Joey's avatarTexas Joey

Hurray!I certainly want someone on this site to win!!! It would be a wonderful Christmas to win the Mega Millions Game.  LOL ALLSmiley Santa

Texas Joey

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story