Man claims he's owed Mega Millions in suit against Illinois Lottery

Apr 22, 2009, 12:00 pm (26 comments)

Mega Millions

An East St. Louis man says the Illinois Lottery Control Board refused to pay him for a winning lottery ticket.

Johnnie Cooper filed suit April 14 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Illinois Lottery Control Board.

Cooper says he purchased a lottery ticket on Aug. 28, 2007.

The ticket contained the winning numbers, but the Illinois Lottery Control Board refused to pay Cooper for it, he says.

Cooper does not state how much money he should have received.

Cooper, who is representing himself, is asking the court to declare him to be in possession of a winning ticket and entitled to the lottery payout of the Mega Millions Lottery Game.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-190.

Madison County Record

Comments

Sherita's avatarSherita

If he picked the numbers and presented a legitimate winning ticket then he is entitled to all monies won so pay up Illinois Lottery!!!

CaesarsGhost

Why did he wait 2 years?

...honest question.

late edit:
I KNOW that the MegaMillions has a minimum time to claim your prize.  All lotteries do...

According to USAMega, IL has 1 year in order to claim your prize before it's forfeit.  That's the maximum amount of time that any of the states get.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

He had a year to make his claim, if he waited longer then Illinois owes him nothing.  Sounds like he want the court to say that rule shouldn't apply in his case.

DC81's avatarDC81

If he purchased the ticket on that date and it was for the drawing on the same day (for 250M) then he's full of crap because that drawing had no winners. Unless somehow in the millions of tickets sold, his numbers somehow came up missing. There were also no second tier prize winners from Illinois. If the ticket was bought for the 31st when four people split the 330M jackpot then it still wasn't his, however maybe he was one of the three who won a second tier prize out of IL? Maybe it was a 10,000 dollar prize or lower, oh well whatever. There's not a lot to go on, did he wait over over a year to try to claim it? If so then its his own damn fault and should take some responsibility for his own stupidity. Who waits that long to try and claim a prize? Did he lose it and then find it later? Again, that's not the fault of Illinois.

Illinois didn't screw Johnnie Cooper, Johnnie Cooper screwed Johnnie Cooper.

truecritic's avatartruecritic

Quote: Originally posted by CaesarsGhost on Apr 22, 2009

Why did he wait 2 years?

...honest question.

late edit:
I KNOW that the MegaMillions has a minimum time to claim your prize.  All lotteries do...

According to USAMega, IL has 1 year in order to claim your prize before it's forfeit.  That's the maximum amount of time that any of the states get.

The way I read the article, it only says he filed suit April 14th.   He may have been trying to collect and only now filed the lawsuit.

Sherita's avatarSherita

Quote: Originally posted by truecritic on Apr 22, 2009

The way I read the article, it only says he filed suit April 14th.   He may have been trying to collect and only now filed the lawsuit.

That's the way I saw it too..after exhausting all attempts to collect, then he filed suit. 

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

I would like to know why they are refusing to pay him. Did he really have the winning numbers? Was the ticket edited somehow? Was he late trying to cash in the ticket? I wish we had more information to work with.

Dawn32's avatarDawn32

I don't understand how they can just refuse to pay someone who has the winning ticket.

Tnplayer805's avatarTnplayer805

I'm going to be honest.  I don't believe he has a winning ticket.  I just think this person wants to get something for nothing.  A lot of people think they can out smart the lottery and try to get whatever they can out of them by altering a ticket.  When they realize the State Lotteries aren't DUMB they will test the intelligence of the judicial system.

katie3618's avatarkatie3618

I would like to have more information in order to help solve this mystery.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Quote: Originally posted by Tnplayer805 on Apr 22, 2009

I'm going to be honest.  I don't believe he has a winning ticket.  I just think this person wants to get something for nothing.  A lot of people think they can out smart the lottery and try to get whatever they can out of them by altering a ticket.  When they realize the State Lotteries aren't DUMB they will test the intelligence of the judicial system.

I don't believe an altered ticket had anything to do with it but the article is lacking in all the details.

CaesarsGhost

Quote: Originally posted by truecritic on Apr 22, 2009

Not to call the guy a scam artist, but I'm not sure I believe him.

Nothing against anybody about to read this part:

I think this man might just be a slick lawyer.  The article states he's representing himself in the trial, so there's little to no overhead cost to attempt to sue the Lottery.

If he loses (likely) - He'll say some strong words and skip of to do whatever it is he does without it costing more then just a little time.
If he wins (not likely) - He'll collect an "unspecified amount", likely with "Pain and Suffering" or some such attached.

Perhaps we're msising some piece of crucial information in the overall scope of things... but I'm less likely to believe.

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

According to MegaMillions.com, nobody had matched all 6 numbers for the drawing.

SmoothJuice

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on Apr 22, 2009

According to MegaMillions.com, nobody had matched all 6 numbers for the drawing.

The economy is going down..... phony lawsuits are going up.                 ....any questions?

Quote: Originally posted by wizeguy on Apr 22, 2009

I don't believe an altered ticket had anything to do with it but the article is lacking in all the details.

No, but there have been NUMEROUS attempts by complete idiots to collect using altered tickets.  Like the lady from New York that taped two tickets together...  I would say if it's not altered...  There is something. 

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Tnplayer805 on Apr 23, 2009

No, but there have been NUMEROUS attempts by complete idiots to collect using altered tickets.  Like the lady from New York that taped two tickets together...  I would say if it's not altered...  There is something. 

Wasn't that a great story? LOL

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Apr 23, 2009

Wasn't that a great story? LOL

That was great!!!  I still laugh about it today.  Just look at the ticket.  OH, those numbers on the bottom don't mean anything!!!  And that is $10 under the 9...  Not forty which is printed below it...  That must have been a typo right?

Either way, I have a problem trusting what people say.  ESPECIALLY when money is involved.

sorensonfan41

Quote: Originally posted by Tnplayer805 on Apr 23, 2009

HA!  That reminds me of something a long time ago, when the GA Lottery first started (and I was in elementary school).  I would see stories on the news about people cutting out the prize amounts from losing tickets and pasting them onto another losing ticket to make it look like they matched 3-like grand prize amounts (and subsequently getting arrested).

The crazy things some people will do...

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Because it says East St Louis this smacks of a Jesse Jackson style shakedown attempt.

Find a cash-rich target, in this case the lottery.

Threaten them with "bad pr" if they don't give in.

Hopefully you've picked a target (chump) that will settle out of court even if you are wrong.

I think the clown in East st Louis is actually thinking he can appeal this one all the way up to Obama.

Halle99's avatarHalle99

HMMMMMMMM

I am still scratching my head....not enough info

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by Dawn32 on Apr 22, 2009

I don't understand how they can just refuse to pay someone who has the winning ticket.

I don't understand how so many people can read the article and apparently not notice that it has absolutely no information that's actually useful for determining whether or not the guys claim has any legitimacy. According to the article, the guy says he bought a ticket that was a winner and the lottery refused to pay. There's absolutely no information to support his claim.

The only thing I feel sure about  based on the article is that the guy went whining to a newspaper and the paper wrote a story, seemingly without investigating the claim or contacting the lottery.

grengrad's avatargrengrad

Representing himself?

I suspect if he had a legitimate case that he would have a flock of lawyers begging to represent him.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by grengrad on Apr 27, 2009

Representing himself?

I suspect if he had a legitimate case that he would have a flock of lawyers begging to represent him.

The problem is he never said how much he is owed.  The cost of a flock of lawyers could exceed the amount of the prize if he didn't do  better than a 4+1.   Beside if the state used the prize to repay money owed the state, it could all be gone.

Kaptainess's avatarKaptainess

Medication Time!  Go to the half door!

konane's avatarkonane

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Apr 22, 2009

He had a year to make his claim, if he waited longer then Illinois owes him nothing.  Sounds like he want the court to say that rule shouldn't apply in his case.

I Agree!  Rules are rules ..... snooze you lose.

jarasan's avatarjarasan

Irrational stuff,  probably some type of drug abuse.

Puke

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story