$220 MILLION: Mega Millions lottery jackpot soars

Apr 29, 2009, 9:00 am (31 comments)

Mega Millions

Largest jackpot in more than one year

Lottery jackpot hunters will have a big target this Friday night, when a $220 million jackpot is up from grabs in the multi-state Mega Millions lottery game.

It is the largest Mega Millions jackpot since Feb. 22, 2008, when the top prize swelled to $270 million.  One ticket sold in Georgia won that prize.

The huge pot came about after no tickets won last night's $181 million jackpot drawing. On Friday, players will attempt to match all five numbers plus the Mega Ball number to win the top prize.

There were 12 second-prize winners from Friday night's drawing: 3 from California, 1 from Massachusetts, 3 from New Jersey, 2 from New York, 1 from Ohio, and 2 from Texas.

Each second prize ticket matched all five lotto numbers but not the Mega Ball number to win $250,000, except for the three California winners, who will get $133,825 each.

Unlike the other eleven Mega Millions states, California has pari-mutuel payouts at every prize level, so winners are paid an amount based on ticket sales and number of winners.  Sometimes that means California winners win much larger prizes than the other eleven states, and sometimes — like last night, when there are several winners — it means the prize will be smaller.

Also, 90 players matched four of the five lotto numbers, plus the Mega Ball number. Those tickets are each worth $10,000, except for 13 California tickets, which are worth $8,422 each.

The winning numbers from Tuesday night's drawing were: 15, 20, 24, 36, and 44. The Mega Ball number was 6.

The Texas Megaplier was 2.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

CaesarsGhost

I bought 2 for last night's drawing... I got a, singular, # correct.

haha

Guess it's time to start over... comon some lucky numbers!

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Type yeah I had a couple for last night

sad thing is I had 2 numbers correct and for the first time in a good while I've been in the same universe as the mega ball Crazy

MrJackpot

I've been doing pretty well the last 4 draws I've won all my money back or more, I've been just replaying off of old winnings. I have like three winning tickets right now that I'll use for fridays draw. Good Luck to everyone, God Bless.Smile

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Let it soar! It's fun time. Will be buying some this Friday.

ricky p

I love when the jackpot goes high like that. That mean many people are gonna play and lose lots of money. I also know that someone gonna win it big. Who knows it might be one of you guys or me. Last night was pretty lucky for me. I matched 3 numbers plus the megaball for a second time in a row. I think this could be a sign that I will win it big. Even if I don't win it big this friday, but I still hope that someone win it. I wish all of you guys good luck..

petergrfn

All right...Getting into serious jackpot range now.    Tageting Jackpot now..Jackpot in Crosshairs..Setting Phasers to kill!!   It's going to be a good week if I win on Friday! LOL.     If not hope it keeps rolling to a record JP!   Good Luck everyone!!    $220 Million buys alot of dreams!!!!

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Good luck to those of you who are playing. Smiley

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I bought 4 tickets,  matched 1 number and it was not  the mega ball. 

Next time I am getting only 1 ticket.  Smiley

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by on Apr 23, 2024

Who's going to collect the money and buy the tickets?  Certainly not you since you just joined this morning and already suggesting what "we" should do.  Sounds like someone trying to run a scam.

DelmarvaChick's avatarDelmarvaChick

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Apr 29, 2009

Who's going to collect the money and buy the tickets?  Certainly not you since you just joined this morning and already suggesting what "we" should do.  Sounds like someone trying to run a scam.

Hi RJ,

I love reading your posts. You are always on it! You're the best. I learned a lot from reading your posts, thanks for being so willing to share from both your expertise and experiencs

With regard to the original post...good luck to all those playing. I'm still debating weather or not to play...jackpot seems a little small to me.

I'm kidding.  Wink

bashley572's avatarbashley572

Quote: Originally posted by MrJackpot on Apr 29, 2009

I've been doing pretty well the last 4 draws I've won all my money back or more, I've been just replaying off of old winnings. I have like three winning tickets right now that I'll use for fridays draw. Good Luck to everyone, God Bless.Smile

A guy in the building I work in won $10,000 last  Friday.. I don't know him or work near him so I can't seem to get anyone to tell me details, like if it was a qp or how much he played to win that.

Stigmatized1999's avatarStigmatized1999

Finally, it's coming home to Spokane Valley, WA. Getting $5 worth at the Sullivan Tesoro! YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

SpokaneMan's avatarSpokaneMan

I hope if the mega millions jackpot comes to Spokane it comes to The city of Spokane. But best of luck to you and hopefully it at least is won in the State of Washington.

azares

Quote: Originally posted by MrJackpot on Apr 29, 2009

How many lines do you play per draw? thanks.

Fred

Piaceri

I've been using winners to buy for the last several draws. I had 3 whites + mega, and have been playing on that (less a gas fillup each for my college kids, dinner at Ya Ya's, trip to the book store...lol). I hit the mega ball this time for $2, so I'll have to cash my scratcher. I usually only buy 5 tickets, but I'll go with more this time. Between the $2 and the mega ball win, I've got $22 for the $220m.  Hmmm.  We'll see.

White Bounce

SomedayTheMega

If it is going to be, let it be Friday. Hyper.   God Bless America US Flag

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Apr 29, 2009

I bought 4 tickets,  matched 1 number and it was not  the mega ball. 

Next time I am getting only 1 ticket.  Smiley

LOL I rarely buy more then two my self ... but then it has to be @ least 100million

ricky p

I agree with you bro. All you need is a dollar and some luck. Some people including myself be stupid and be stupid and spending like $50 dollars and more.

Kidzmom's avatarKidzmom

I will be getting my ticket for MM tomorrow at noon at Bracey Va!

Classic47

I bought my ticket.  Since the last couple of draws, I haven't had much luck, but maybe that will change this drawing.

bambini

Winning ticket will be bought at a mall in Fort Worth Texas!!!

megamillionaire's avatarmegamillionaire

SmileAt least I got 2 bucks for getting the megaball right.

starchild_45's avatarstarchild_45

Quote: Originally posted by Stigmatized1999 on Apr 29, 2009

Finally, it's coming home to Spokane Valley, WA. Getting $5 worth at the Sullivan Tesoro! YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

nice to see another washingtonian here.

starchild_45's avatarstarchild_45

once it crossed the 100 million mark i have been buying a 10 drawing 1 dollar quick pick. i have not checked any of my tickets to see if they are a winner yet. i hope it goes over 300 million. it would be nice. it does make the news anymore until it hits 250 million.

robmang

Good luck to those playing.

Living in southwest florida, it would take a good 8 hours of driving, something I'd only do if winning was a guarantee :P

Powerball's creeping back up though!

petergrfn

Sorry....I plan to win the Powerball on Sat. after I hit Friday's MegaMillions!  LOL

dk1421's avatardk1421

Last time I was in Bracey, VA, I bought 10 weeks of Megaball tickets because it was over 100 million then and who knew how long it would go on for? Well, now it's up again, this time to $220 million...and I have one ticket left and it's for Friday night. So if no one wins, then it's road trip to Bracey on Monday!! Think I'll buy another 10 weeks worth of tickets.....

OH - and I finally got the Megaball on Tuesday. I never, ever get the Powerball or Megaball. So hopefully that's a good sign...

Kidzmom - maybe I'll see you in line??

ambelamba

Seems like there are two winners already. One from CA. I am not sure about the other state.

DC81's avatarDC81

Three actually, one in California, one in Ohio (no surprise there) and one in Virginia.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Here's the prize breakdown, all prizes:

5 + 1  3 Winners   $225,000,000

California, Ohio, and Virginia

5 + 0  21  Winners $250,000

Californa 2, Illinois 4, Maryland1, New Jersey 3, New York 9, Texas2,

4 + 1  96 Winners $10,000

4 + 0   5,469 Winners $150

3 + 1   5,692 Winners   $150

3 + 0  266,112 Winners $7

1 + 1   550,472 Winners $3

0 + 1  1,022,240 Winners $2

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

I'm happy for the winners but dissapointed it didn't roll over!  I'm going to Georgia Friday and wanted a shot at that MM JP LOL

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story