12 Michigan women + 2 men share $12.7M lottery jackpot

Jul 9, 2009, 8:38 am (22 comments)

Michigan Lottery

LANSING, Mich. — Twelve women from a small town in Michigan's upper peninsula have claimed a $12.7 million Classic Lotto 47 jackpot.

Michigan Lottery officials said members of the Island Dreamers lottery club made the six-hour trip from Newberry to Lansing in a stretch Hummer limousine on Tuesday to claim their prize.

Club member Debra Cummings said she doesn't "remember anything after checking the first two numbers" on the morning after the July 1 drawing.

The Island Dreamers range in age from 25 years old to 58 years old. The club includes family members and the owner of a Newberry restaurant where each of them work.

The women said a "Lansing or bust" sign was hung in the restaurant's window before they left.

Two men also will share the prize.

AP

Comments

MaddMike51

14 people sharing a 12.7 million dollar jackpot doesn't leave much per person after taxes.Thats why I would NEVER join a pool!

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

My reasons for not joining a pool is because of the legal battles that

start after winning, but you gots to agree that pools do increase the

odds of winning. A 10 person pool can easily buy $100 worth of Mega

Millions tickets, not many people I know would do so on their ownBig Smile

Think's avatarThink

I noticed that in all the press releases they did not mention how much the cash jackpot was before it was split.

Anyway, I was in getting my car repaired Monday and that Hummer Limo came in while I was there .  The guy wanted it checked out for the trip and told me that was the Limo the winners were going to Lansing in.

So I hadda ask how much it cost for the trip and he said  $200 per hour.

At least now I feel like I have a chance of winning too.  Due to something a prior lottery commisoner told me,  I did not beleive it was possible to win big near here.

MaddMike51

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Jul 9, 2009

My reasons for not joining a pool is because of the legal battles that

start after winning, but you gots to agree that pools do increase the

odds of winning. A 10 person pool can easily buy $100 worth of Mega

Millions tickets, not many people I know would do so on their ownBig Smile

It only takes one ticket to win.You don't need 10 people to purchase one ticket.

fbird's avatarfbird

Quote: Originally posted by MaddMike51 on Jul 9, 2009

It only takes one ticket to win.You don't need 10 people to purchase one ticket.

NOT TO BE A SMART ALEC, BUT HOW MANY JACKPOTS HAVE YOU ONE ...WITH THAT ONE TICKET...lol!!!!!!

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

I concur with MadMike. No reason that a POOL is any different then one lonesome dove hitting it. the odds dont change.

It takes ONE TICKET with the Correct combo :)

Not a fan of the 12.7 jackpot share. The Limo thing is a bit much. Lo Key and Lo profile will produce a safe lifestyle...(IMHO).

MaddMike51

Quote: Originally posted by fbird on Jul 9, 2009

NOT TO BE A SMART ALEC, BUT HOW MANY JACKPOTS HAVE YOU ONE ...WITH THAT ONE TICKET...lol!!!!!!

None,yet.But when I do I won't be sharing it with a bunch of other folks.The ENTIRE jackpot will be mine!

papouyo1

I can't understand why the f people can't buy their own ticket. When you join the pool , it doesn't increase your chances of winning. Sometimes when the jackpot is won other group member are absent, nobody would share the money with them

LottoPools's avatarLottoPools

As one who runs lotto pools, four of them right now, I personally like them.  I like them because with just $5 - $10 dollars I am in every drawing for a year on each my two big pools (20 and 21 members).  I agree it will only take one ticket to win, that's why we only play $1 per drawing.  Granted if we win the minimum jackpot, it will only be about $394,000 per person after taxes but that's more than I have right now; of course we're hoping to win a LARGE jackpot.  In these tight economic times, $5 - $10 for a year's worth of tickets ain't bad.

I still buy my own tickets and hope they win but I'll be happy with a win no matter which ticket hits.

The pools let me play more often; the other members joined because they usually don't think to buy tickets for themselves.  I get the money in advance and I buy the tickets (except for the PB pool - I have a member in KY buy those).

I used to run an unorganized pool where each person put in $5 per drawing - that got to be too expensive.  After finding this sight and reading about the lawsuits from lottery pool wins, I tightened things up a lot and have a pretty organized set up now.  My members think my rules are a little much but when I tell them about some of the lawsuits that have been filed they understand.

Besides, I'm sharing no matter what - I've got six brothers Green laugh.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by Think on Jul 9, 2009

I noticed that in all the press releases they did not mention how much the cash jackpot was before it was split.

Anyway, I was in getting my car repaired Monday and that Hummer Limo came in while I was there .  The guy wanted it checked out for the trip and told me that was the Limo the winners were going to Lansing in.

So I hadda ask how much it cost for the trip and he said  $200 per hour.

At least now I feel like I have a chance of winning too.  Due to something a prior lottery commisoner told me,  I did not beleive it was possible to win big near here.

Michigan's Classic 47 is a 30 year annuity, so $12.7 million is going to be about half...according to the Michigan lottery website.  Half is about $6,350,000, split by 14 and it's about $450k per person before taxes.

Not really worth a stretch limo, but how else are you going to get 14 people from Newberry to Lansing? Rent a 15 passenger van?  Choice between a cool stretch limo or the van that makes you look like you're riding the short bus? Crazy

Congrats to the winners...may they all spend wisely and save well.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Only one person needed to go to claim on behalf of the group. Reckon if they wanted their fifteen minutes of fame for being able to get $450,000. Then it was at that time......

Safe returns to them on their investments....

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Anyone who says that buying one ticket gives you the same odds as buying 10 or more is not using common sense.  Sure, I agree that only one ticket wins the jackpot, but 10 gives you 10 shots at it.   Even better, if everyone pitches in $5, then you've got 50 chances instead of 5.  The odds, depending on the game, are still astronomical, but the more tickets you buy, the better your odds, even if the difference seems insignificant. 

I'd like to add that if someone here wins $450,000 and doesn't want it because it's not a lot of money, I'll be happy to take that stretch limo for you.  I'm sure the thousands of families who are losing their homes would take half.

dopey7719's avatardopey7719

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Jul 11, 2009

Anyone who says that buying one ticket gives you the same odds as buying 10 or more is not using common sense.  Sure, I agree that only one ticket wins the jackpot, but 10 gives you 10 shots at it.   Even better, if everyone pitches in $5, then you've got 50 chances instead of 5.  The odds, depending on the game, are still astronomical, but the more tickets you buy, the better your odds, even if the difference seems insignificant. 

I'd like to add that if someone here wins $450,000 and doesn't want it because it's not a lot of money, I'll be happy to take that stretch limo for you.  I'm sure the thousands of families who are losing their homes would take half.

I Agree!

Think's avatarThink

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Jul 10, 2009

Michigan's Classic 47 is a 30 year annuity, so $12.7 million is going to be about half...according to the Michigan lottery website.  Half is about $6,350,000, split by 14 and it's about $450k per person before taxes.

Not really worth a stretch limo, but how else are you going to get 14 people from Newberry to Lansing? Rent a 15 passenger van?  Choice between a cool stretch limo or the van that makes you look like you're riding the short bus? Crazy

Congrats to the winners...may they all spend wisely and save well.

Piaceri right now with a 30 year annuity it is more like $330,000 per person before taxes.

I wouldn't turn down $330,000.  However, if you are going to  take 10,000,000 to 1 odds  you might as well try for more than that  since it would almost certainly be your only big jackpot win ever.

fbird's avatarfbird

Quote: Originally posted by MaddMike51 on Jul 10, 2009

None,yet.But when I do I won't be sharing it with a bunch of other folks.The ENTIRE jackpot will be mine!

I agree as far as splitting the pot...would never go in a pool myself. If i were ever to win, I would want to share with my family..........

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Well said! Yes Nod

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Mixed emoptions on the number of tickets.

On the surface that's a very sound and logical argument, but the thing is with lotto we're attempteng to remove 176,000,000 or so grains of sand from the beach, so does it matter if you personally remove one or ten?

As for the $450,000, yeah it's a nice score, but other people's perception of these winners will be, "Hey, you hit a jackpot, you're a millionaire now, gimme some, share the wealth."

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

You told it like it is. The more tickets a person buys the higher the probability that one of the tickets will hit.

corius$1918!

a 15 passenger van would do all i need it to do.  Get me from point a to point b and back home.

Banana

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by corius$1918! on Jul 17, 2009

a 15 passenger van would do all i need it to do.  Get me from point a to point b and back home.

Banana

I think a van for 15 people would pretty much be a bus.

Heh, they should have rode a short bus to Lansing.

Think's avatarThink

Quote: Originally posted by Think on Jul 11, 2009

Piaceri right now with a 30 year annuity it is more like $330,000 per person before taxes.

I wouldn't turn down $330,000.  However, if you are going to  take 10,000,000 to 1 odds  you might as well try for more than that  since it would almost certainly be your only big jackpot win ever.

I bumped into one of the winners who was in town on a shopping spree.

I asked and it was $346,000 a piece.

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

Quote: Originally posted by Think on Aug 12, 2009

I bumped into one of the winners who was in town on a shopping spree.

I asked and it was $346,000 a piece.

SHOPPING SPREE??

sounds like they are off to a good start Bang Head

I have my own pool as well...me myself and I.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story