Lottery winner loses ticket, awarded unspent portion from couple who found it

Jul 25, 2009, 8:40 am (50 comments)

UK National Lottery

Amanda Stacey and her husband, Michael, who found a winning lottery ticket on the floor of a shop and collected the £30,000 prize have been ordered to pay back half the money to the person who originally bought it.

The couple spent half the money clearing debts, buying new carpets and treating their children after Mrs. Stacey spotted the slip in a Co-op supermarket in Swindon, Wilts.

However, Dorothy McDonagh, who had bought the £1 Daily Play ticket, called the UK National Lottery operator Camelot after discovering she had misplaced it.

The police were called when it was discovered the jackpot had already been claimed.

The Staceys were later given 11-month suspended sentences after admitting charges of fraud.

On Friday at Swindon Crown Court, Judge Douglas Field ordered the couple to repay Mrs. McDonagh the sum of £15,000 they did not spend.

After the hearing, Mrs. McDonagh, from Swindon, said she planned to take legal action against Camelot for the remaining sum.

She said, "It is jolly decent of them all to only let me have a half share of my win. I am sure Camelot will be very pleased.

"It has gone on for nine months but this is not the final episode. Who would have believed that winning the lottery would have caused so much hassle?"

The court heard police froze the remaining £15,000 of the prize after discovering the Staceys had spent the other half.

Judge Field ordered the frozen half plus interest of £112 to be repaid under the Proceeds of Crime Act.

The Staceys declined to comment. Their attorney, Robbie Ross, said they thought finding the ticket was "luck not theft".

Ross said, "If the lady wants to get the other £15,000 back that is her own business but we have always known that this £15,000 would be repaid.

"They (the Staceys) didn't think they were stealing; they thought it was good luck and they would ride their luck."

Thanks to truesee for the tip.

Telegraph, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

The judge seemed to act in acordance to procedure. Glad to see he froze the account for further dispersement to the correct owners.

SmoothJuice

I don't blame The Staceys', I blame the unresponsible idiot who misplaced the ticket.

whitmansm2's avatarwhitmansm2

Quote: Originally posted by SmoothJuice on Jul 25, 2009

I don't blame The Staceys', I blame the unresponsible idiot who misplaced the ticket.

AMEN!  I was thinking that as I read the story.  I don't see why they have to repay ANYTHING back when they found it!  Now if the lady reported her purse stolen and the ticket was in it, then I would be screaming fraud!  There should be a "finder's keepers" law in the UK. 

Plus if they have to give it back (oh how I wish they did the ruling in the US) Do the Stacy's get money back because of taxes they paid on the 30?  If not, then the  one who dropped the ticket should pay taxes on her half then she would have to pay a gift tax too because it was over 11k(?)  Plus now she is paying her lawyers to fight for the other half...she'll end up with nothing!  Does the UK even work that way?

Anyways....just me rambling.

PERDUE

Maybe I missed something. The ticket was lost and found in a public establishment. The ticket was then cashed in by the finders. The ticket loser discovers she's lost the ticket. How much time passed between the ticket loss and the ticket being cashed in? Why wasn't the ticket signed? What am I missing in this story? Why are the finders being charged with fraud? If you're going to play the lottery and expect to win why is it so difficult to sign your ticket when you purchase them so incidents like this doesn't happen? Is it because people are careless or what? Please explain. Next thing you know the people who find winning tickets in the streets and in the trash will be charged with fraud and theft. I wonder if these people are just as careless with their paychecks and other important items in their lives. My sympathy and frustration goes out to the Staceys, because when you look at it from a realistic point of view they were not stealing. It was no different than if they had found a $100 bill. Mrs. McDonagh should be thankful the judge ruled in her favor and go on with what she's been given and let it be a 15,000 pound lesson.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

YEAH AND ALL i EVER HEAR ABOUT IS THAT TICKETS ARE BEARER PAYS INSTRUMENTS SO DONT LOSE IT ETC.

oops sorry for caps,

here some schmuck, loses their ticket and all is fine.

i have heard when u win you get quizzed about where and when you bought the winning ticket, I am going to say its a bearer instrument pay up.

when did I buy it?

its a bearer  instrument pay up.

then again i might just do what they ask so everythoing goes as fast and as smooth as possible.

if you cant answer those questions I imagine that some schlob who walks in off the street; sobbing and bleating about lost tickets, but  stating time and place of purchase , may just have a good chance of beating some cash out of you.

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Dorothy McDonagh: Managed to prove the ticket was hers.

She cashed in a small-win ticket and used some of her payout to buy four �1 lines on the Daily Play game.

She still had the play (bet) slip.

She was able to give full details of when and where she bought the ticket.

Amanda Stacey admitted she had found the ticket.

Defence lawyer Rob Ross told the court: "It is important for the public to know that 'Finders keepers, losers weepers' is not true and never was true."

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

The whole thing is crazy. I bet the Stacey's don't feel very lucky right now.

Redsquash

"Why wasn't the ticket signed?.....If you're going to play the lottery and expect to win why is it so difficult to sign your ticket when you purchase them so incidents like this doesn't happen"

Most people dont sign the lottery ticket until they have won big. Everyone "expect" or "hope" to win, but then they play couple of times each week, and dont find it necessary to sign the ticket until big win. They also dont loose the ticket quite often. This was a news worthy case, where the ticket lost was a winning one.

By the way, charging the couple with fraud is ridiculous.

SpanaUnlimited

Call me crazy....but if I find an UNSIGNED ticket.    Shouldn't it be a bearer instrument just like cash?

Is that the purpose of having a signture line in the back of the ticket.  If you SIGN it.....even if you lose it....nobody else can claim it.    However if your irresponsible and don't sign the ticket.....what makes it yours?

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Oh, the reason WHY folks often don't sign their lottery ticket is because, in the case of a ticket with advance dates drawings' ever increasing jackpots, the higher the cash value of the jackpot gets, the more names the ticket holder may choose to ADD to the ticket (now being able to, after paying FULL taxes, share with family and/or friends). Do remember in the U.S.A., that  we can ONLY "gift" $1,000,000 to either one person or many over our lifetime!  After this, we will be charged taxes on this "gift" money that we already paid taxes on to originally received it (UNFAIR double taxation).  Thus, if a ticket holder is open the idea of giving their friends or families more than this cap amount, it makes sense to add that person(s) to their ticket later!

Although, sometimes the ticket holder doesn't sign the ticket because, upon winning, they will consult a tax accountant/lawyer to determine if it makes taxes due sense to claim the prize under the name of a seperate entity corporation, trust, or personal name.  These are careful reasons that can save taxes owed.Bed

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by PERDUE on Jul 25, 2009

Maybe I missed something. The ticket was lost and found in a public establishment. The ticket was then cashed in by the finders. The ticket loser discovers she's lost the ticket. How much time passed between the ticket loss and the ticket being cashed in? Why wasn't the ticket signed? What am I missing in this story? Why are the finders being charged with fraud? If you're going to play the lottery and expect to win why is it so difficult to sign your ticket when you purchase them so incidents like this doesn't happen? Is it because people are careless or what? Please explain. Next thing you know the people who find winning tickets in the streets and in the trash will be charged with fraud and theft. I wonder if these people are just as careless with their paychecks and other important items in their lives. My sympathy and frustration goes out to the Staceys, because when you look at it from a realistic point of view they were not stealing. It was no different than if they had found a $100 bill. Mrs. McDonagh should be thankful the judge ruled in her favor and go on with what she's been given and let it be a 15,000 pound lesson.

A few years ago when I match 5 of 6 in the local lottery and cashed my ticket I had to fill out a form to collect my winnings with the name of the retailer where I bought my ticket.  Even though the bank would have paid me the winnings regardless of the retailer name I put on the form, an investigation later would have revealed fraud if what I signed wasn't true.  Finding something that belongs to someone else doesn't make it yours.  Signing a form stating you paid for something at a particular retailer that you found is fraud.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I don't think it's one of those black & white cases.  This took place in the UK, but remember when a man in MA found a winning ticket in the trash?  That case took years and the man who bought the ticket died of a heart attack while his family continued to fight.   If I found a winning ticket and it wasn't signed, I don't know what I'd do.  I once found a few tickets on the counter at Publix and gave them to the clerk, but the drawing hadn't taken place yet.  She said they probably belonged to the person in front of me.  Once I got 2 extra tickets I didn't pay for and returned them.  So that means the person ahead of me didn't get 2 tickets or the machine would have been $2 short, right?   However, if I found a scratch-off in the parking lot and it turned out to be a million dollar winner, I really can't say I'd turn it in, but I also wouldn't lie to the FL Lottery.

chattanoogadog's avatarchattanoogadog

Hum...I think I should say something like Winners were the sweepers, and loosers were the reapers.....  SIGN your <snip> ticket...   Hence the back page of EVERY lottery Printout I have ever seen here in the US... Oh thats Right its the UK... Sorry for your loss...hope the winners are happyCheers

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

NITEHAWK61's avatarNITEHAWK61

Nope, I do not understand!!!someone lost the ticket,someone else finds ticket cashes it in,there is no forgery or deception but those people have to pay it back!!! there is something wrong with that big time!!! finders keepers, loosers weepers!!!

SpanaUnlimited

Once again if the ticket was signed.....obviously it is unethical and illegal to try and claim the ticket as yours

However....we are talking about an unsigned ticket that was perhaps found on the ground somewhere.   I would likely keep the ticket and I think if i found it it should be mine. 

I guess it all comes down to the definition of ownership.   Is the purchaser the owner?   Is the signature on the back of the ticket the owner?

Nicey 31

In any case like that you need to put your ticket away in a safe place before you leave the store. If it was me I would want all the money back but what can you do in a situation like that?

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

to those who didnt read the article yet jumped to conclusions that would only apply in your world, the reality is, justice was served and the rightful persons were given the chance to prove  they bought and had rights to claim. Sorry that it doesnt give more factual answers as to whether it was signed or not, or how Fraud is defined in legal terms.

I truly hope I am never in a room with some folks when my winning ticket falls out of my purse and onto the floor. Something else might drop to the floor just as quick! Evil Smile

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by SpanaUnlimited on Jul 25, 2009

Once again if the ticket was signed.....obviously it is unethical and illegal to try and claim the ticket as yours

However....we are talking about an unsigned ticket that was perhaps found on the ground somewhere.   I would likely keep the ticket and I think if i found it it should be mine. 

I guess it all comes down to the definition of ownership.   Is the purchaser the owner?   Is the signature on the back of the ticket the owner?

I can see the same thing easily happening here and I'm sure somewhere in the US there a case or two on the books. "Finders Keepers" is not a valid law or exception here in the US either, shocking I know.

If you found it, kept it and it turned out to be a winner you'd be opening yourself up to a nice lawsuit that you'll likely lose if the person has solid evidence and even without the money will be locked up until its resolved and have fun paying the legal bills and back whatever money you may have spent from the prize. Then there's the likely criminal charges you'll be facing. I'm sure some will disagree but this is no different from if you found a wallet or bag with cash in it filled with cash or whatever else and decided to keep it after making zero effort to find the rightful owner.. At best its dishonest.

£30k = $60k USD. thats a lot of moolah. prob tax free in UK to. maybe id keep it for 11.5 months

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by NITEHAWK61 on Jul 25, 2009

Nope, I do not understand!!!someone lost the ticket,someone else finds ticket cashes it in,there is no forgery or deception but those people have to pay it back!!! there is something wrong with that big time!!! finders keepers, loosers weepers!!!

Are half of the posters here still in the 3rd grade? If you lost your wallet would you honestly believe that whoever found it was entitled to keep it? If so I'll give you credit for consistency. If not, you obviously don't really believe  that  "finders keepers, losers weepers" is actually true. The only difference between losing a wallet and other things is that it's usually a lot easier to find the rightful owner of a wallet. I realize that it apparently comes as a complete surprise to a lot of people, but just because it isn't easy to find the rightful owner of something doesn't mean that person doesn't remain the rightful owner. The law requires that the finder of lost property make a reasonable effort to  locate the rightful owner, and the finder becomes entitled to ownership only after making that effort and waiting for a period of time that is prescribed by law without locating the rightful owner.

As for "forgery or deception" claiming ownership of something that isn't yours is clearly an act of deception. As RJ pointed out, if the Staceys signed a claim form saying they had bought the ticket or otherwise claiming they were the rightful owners that would clearly constitute fraud. The article says nothing about forgery, but signing a claim form as the rightful owner with their real name is forgery, because the claim is fraudulent.

"I don't think it's one of those black & white cases.  This tookplace in the UK, but remember when a man in MA found a winning ticketin the trash?"

Of course it's black and white. Somebody lost property and somebody found that property and tried to keep it as their own. The law is completely unambiguous about the rightful ownership. In the case of property found in the trash the property may have been discarded deliberately, which would make it abandoned property rather than lost property.

"its a bearer  instrument pay up."

Congratulations. There's an excellent chance that you've figured out a way to almost guarantee a long wait for the prize money. Just as with "finders keepers, losers weepers", too many people don't understand the actual law regarding bearer instruments. A bearer instrument is simply a monetary instrument that is not registered, as is the case with stocks and other instruments. The cash in your wallet is also a bearer instrument, and they are all treated the same way. There is a presumption that the bearer is the owner, but that presumption doesn't govern rightful ownership. By not answering questions designed to determine if you are the rightful owner and suggesting that you should be paid simply because it's a bearer instrument you will make excellent headway in raising suspicion that you are merely in possession and not the rightful owner.

"I bet the Stacey's don't feel very lucky right now."

They certainly shouldn't be feeling unlucky. Their sentence was suspended and the court only ordered them to pay back the half they hadn't spent. Of course if they've got any sense at all they should be concerned about a lawsuit seeking the remaining balance.

myturn's avatarmyturn

This is why I like the Players Registration Cards we have here in NSW. If you lose your ticket, or it is stolen, it is registered in your name and others can not claim any prizes.

no i would like it returned, i would be amazingly suprised if it was returned. especially if it had $60k in it.

bashley572's avatarbashley572

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Jul 25, 2009

A few years ago when I match 5 of 6 in the local lottery and cashed my ticket I had to fill out a form to collect my winnings with the name of the retailer where I bought my ticket.  Even though the bank would have paid me the winnings regardless of the retailer name I put on the form, an investigation later would have revealed fraud if what I signed wasn't true.  Finding something that belongs to someone else doesn't make it yours.  Signing a form stating you paid for something at a particular retailer that you found is fraud.

Yea, good point with the fraud part of NOT being the one  who paid for it.  Now next question is 'If you lost a jacpot winning ticket and someone else turned it in so you could get it back to claim the win - would you give the person who turned it in any money??? 

I think I would but not sure how much.

PERDUE

After reading this story I was motivated to once again read the back of my playslip and ticket. On the back of my playslip under HOW TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE: The first thing the TX Lottery Commission wrote was, "Sign ticket before claiming. Unsigned tickets could be claimed by whoever possesses the ticket." 

I continued to read the back of the playslip and under the section RULES: The first thing the TX Lottery Commission wrote was, "The ticket, not the playslip, is the only valid proof of your number selection and is the only valid receipt to claim a prize. The Texas Lottery is not responsible for lost or stolen tickets."

"Tickets, transactions, players, and winners are subject to, and players and winners agree to abide by, all applicable laws, Commission rules, regulations, policies, directives, instructions, conditions, procedures, and final decisions of the Executive Director." 

What all this gobbly-gook means I'm not sure. It is something that requires research to see exactly what the applicable laws, Comission rules, regulations, policies directives, instructions, conditions, procedures and final decisions of the Executive Director are.

I looked on the back of a ticket I purchased and guess what I saw, On the back of my ticket was printed at least three times. "Sign ticket before claiming. The Texas Lottery is not responsible for your ticket if it is lost in the mail." ( for those who choose to mail in their winning ticket)

It also had two places where I could print my name, address, phone number, and sign my name. Can you believe it? TWO PLACES for me to show ownership of the ticket. OH BOY!!!!! Will wonders ever cease!!!!

I looked on the back of a TX Pick 3 playslip and listed under CLAIMING A PRIZE: the first thing written was, "Sign ticket before claiming. Anyone who posses an unsigned ticket may be able to claim a prize."

"The TX Lottery Commission is not responsible for tickets lost in the mail."

Listed under RULES: the second thing written was, The Texas Lottery is not responsible for lost or stolen tickets or for tickets lost in the mail.

PEOPLE-PEOPLE-PEOPLE if you are going to play the lottery at least have the basic common sense to write (sign or print) YOUR NAME on YOUR ticket. If you choose not to then you get what you deserve should you find yourself in this situation.

This story never stated if the Stacey's said they bought the ticket or found the ticket or if they said where they got the ticket from. It never even said if that part of the claim form was filled in. All of the focus is on the ticket being cashed and the lawsuit.

I have cashed in many tickets and I did not fill in that part of the claim form because I did not remember where my ticket was purchased.  I purchase a lot of tickets on a whim when I am out and about. If the clerk at the claims center asked this is what I say, and my form is processed and I receive my check and go on my merry little way.

Why? Because a lot of people do what I do and I don't think the TX Lottery Commission actually expect us to keep a written list of the retailer numbers and names for reference.

I know for a fact that the TX Lottery Commission knows where the ticket was sold because of the retailer number printed on the top of my ticket.

And in case you're wondering I am one of the bone heads that doesn't always fill out the back of my ticket. And that makes me JUST AS STUPID as the people who has had a winning ticket claimed by someone else. And if I am ever in this position, I GET WHAT I DESERVE! And I will just have to let that be a very expensive lesson learned.

After all, "The best sense is bought sense."  How much are you willing to pay for yours?

nice post perdue, but why bother, i intend to just bleate like a  lost sheep, i lost my ticket i want my money waaaa.

should be alright, i may even get half the winnings back.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

While winning lottery tickets are bearer instruments, the bearers still had to have acquired them through legal means and usually have to sign a claim form stating such when the prizes are greater than $600.

mjwinsmith's avatarmjwinsmith

If the back of the ticket was signed, then it belongs to the lady that puchased the ticket.

If the ticket was NOT signed, then the Stacey's have a good case. How would they know who the ticket belonged to?? It's a bearer instrument, if I found a ticket that was not signed, it's mine now. If it was signed then I would take it to the police and turn it in to them. After a length of time if it is not claimed then I have a legal right to it.

SpanaUnlimited

That is what I am thinking!  If I found a signed ticket or a lost paycheck.....I would know that it isn't mine.  Since those documents obviously are attached to a particular individual.  In that case....it might be easier to track down the name attached to the document. Same applies to a wallet or vehicle.   Those will either have an ID/credit card that can be traced back to the rightful owner.  A vehicle has a VIN# that can track down the registered owner. 

An unsigned ticket....is simply that....an unsigned ticket.  All a lottery ticket identfies is the actual winning numbers, the store it was purchased at, and a time stamp.    There is no identifying material on the ticket regarding a so-called rightful owner unless it is SIGNED.       Just like a $50 bill you find outside on the sidewalk.  Should I turn the unsigned ticket in to the store clerk?  Should I trust that the store clerk will find the rightful owner?   Should I turn it in to the police?   Should I trust the police that they will locate the so-called rightful owner?    Should I keep the ticket in safe-keeping and place an ad in the local newspaper and ask for specific details that only the rightful owner would know such as date and time of purchase?  What constituties reasonable effort in finding the owner?     Should I keep quiet and wait and see if someone files a missing/stolen ticket report?   

Once again if you read the fine print on the back of the ticket it clearly states that the ticket is a bearer instrument unless signed.    It also states that play slips are irrelevant for the purposes of confirming a winning ticket.  It also states that the ticket is only valid for a certain number of days and must be claimed by a deadline. You also NEED the actual ticket that is barcoded.    If the law doesn't back that up....why print that disclaimer on the back?  If the purchaser is the true owner why doesn't the lottery simply get the contact details of ownership at time of purchase?    Why is it that the lottery allow anonymous purchasing.

konane's avatarkonane

Quote: Originally posted by myturn on Jul 26, 2009

This is why I like the Players Registration Cards we have here in NSW. If you lose your ticket, or it is stolen, it is registered in your name and others can not claim any prizes.

Brilliant concept, wish we had that here.

Winning K's avatarWinning K

I guess I really don't understand people now days, this woman or the clerk dropped the winning ticket on the floor, the woman thought she had her ticket until after the drawing and then she finds that she don't have it. The Stacey's who may have seen the lady or clerk drop the ticket on the floor or may have just found it there and picked it up. Why are people so greedy, the Stacy's knew they didn't buy the ticket and should have given it to the clerk, because the person who bought the ticket would call the store to see if the ticket was left by mistake. If the Stacey's kept the ticket and found it to be a winner, then they should have given it to the police and if no one claimed it in 6 months, then it would be their ticket. If that is also their law.

We all have seen things on the floor in stores, do we pick them up and walk out the store with them, no you don't. Why not. because you would be arrested for stealing and you know that, but because this woman had paid for the ticket, that makes it alright to take something you didn't pay for.

Some people buy one ticket and others may buy a hundred tickets or more for a drawing, it is crazy to think that you would sign every ticket before the drawing and hope you win. No, people sign the ticket after they win. Clearly the lady didn't have time to sign the ticket because it was dropped in the store. There was a man here who won 11 million dollars in the lottery, he said that he bought $100 per drawing, I can just see this man signing 200 loosing ticket each week for a year.

I guess I can relate to this woman because I bought about $20 wrote of tickets and some other items at Mother Hubbard's and left my tickets there. About 2 AM I looked at the results and found that I had won $2,500 on a pick 4, but I couldn't find any of my tickets, I called the store and yes they had my tickets, the clerk never gave them to me, they were still on top of the lottery machine, so they just put them under the counter and saved them for me. Now that's the right thing to do. For those who think I would have kept this woman's ticket if I had found it, no I would not. Their lucky day my foot, these people should have to give that woman all of her money back. Karma will get them. Evil Looking

LotteryJunkiE99's avatarLotteryJunkiE99

EDIT:  SPELLINGS CORRECTED.  i know , i'm all about doing it right.  HAHAHAHAHA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P***ed OMG..... I'M SOOOOOO ANGRY,   P***ed   FIRSTOF ALL BECAUSE I AM HAVING TO RE-TYPE SOMETHING THAT I HAD ALEADY TYPEDWHICH TOOK ME HALF-AN-HOUR TO TYPE BC I ACCIDENTLY HIT THE BACK BUTTONWHEN TRYING TO GET RID OF A SMILEY THINKING IT WOULD ERASE IT, INSTEAD,IT TOOK BE BACK ONE PAGE IN THE WEB BROWSER AND WHEN I FORWARDED AGAIN,ALL MY F---- S---- WAS GONE!      Cussing Face    UGH, A LESSON IN EVERY LIFE I SUPPOSE,  Disapprove BCAFTER I COOLED DOWN, NOT WANTING TO RETYPE ALL OF IT ALL OVER AGAIN, IJUST REALIZED IT IS EXACTLY IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE THEME OF THE REPLYI WAS 2 SECONDS AWAY FROM PUBLISHING.  Bang Head   [BTW LP USERS, REMEMBER TO COPY-AND-PASTE LONG ARTICLES, OR YOU'LL BE FUMING FOR ABOUT FIVE MINUTES.  LOL....]   SO EVEN THOUGH I WON'T GET IT JUST LIKE I ORIGINALLY WROTE IT, AND EVEN THOUGH I'M STILL ANGRY Let It All OutBC I REALLY LIKED WHAT I HAD WRITTEN IN MY ARTICLE, I WILL TRY TO GET THE POINT ACROSS YET AGAIN, SEEING AS HOW I SUPPOSE LOSING TEXT IS PROBABLY NOT NEARLY AS INFURIATING AS LOSING MONEY,  Angry BUT I THINK YOU WILL BE SURPRISED WITH WHAT I HAVE TO SAY OR WAS GOINGTO SAY BEFORE MY VERY UNFORTUNATE EVENT.   lol.  [ ME AND THE BACKBUTTON WON'T BE SEEING EYE-TO-EYE FOR A WHILE.  LOLS.*** Mad  READ ON....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, Even though I Agree With Some of what you're saying, What I want to say is:   Most people won't take that point of view when assessing a situation of this nature.  First of all, Most people have difficulity sympathizing with peoplewho lose things, because most of the time, even though it is anincorrect assumption, people will assume it is out of a.  stupidity  b.  carelessness  c. lazyness.    Therefore, they will have a hard time returning an itemthat was in their eyes, not valued enough to be taken care of, eventhough paradoxically it was paid for and purchased obviously, bysomeone, somewhere.    Anyhow,  this stems from the fact that mostpeople can generally agree that people only take care of items ofperceived value, and since most people don't really trust in theirability to win something of chance, such as the lottery, whensuch related items are lost and found to be winners, most people assumethey owner did not care for it enough to prevent its disappearance,although this does not necessarily hold to be true in real life, but lets be real here, practical is practical, And in our busy busy lives people most people won't take the time to track down an owner, because it just too time-consuming and takes effort which probably, most people think in their minds,would never be shown them, if they were in that situation.   I know, Iknow assumption upon assumption.   But lets be practical here, [again],a piece of paper worth money WITHOUT A SIGNATURE, most peoplewill assume the person who lost it won't even know it's lost, won'tmiss it being gone, or even worse, won't care, until and maybe only after IT'S CLAIMED MORE THAN LIKELY.  BUT BY THEN, MAYBE IT IS NO LONGER GOOD, DOING NO ONE ANYYYYY FAVORSSS.... OR IN THIS CASE, THE OWNER WON'T REMEMBER THE NUMBERS PICKED enough to KNOW IT IS A WINNING ITEM TO REPORT IT BEING LOST TO THE AUTHORITIES, IN THIS CASE, NOT THE POLICE, [QUIT BOTHERING THEM WITH THIS TYPE OF S---, THEY GOT MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO], BUT INSTEAD TO LOTTERY HEADQUARTERS, I.E , THE LOTTERY COMMISSIONS.   

So, once people process all of this, which I know is not exactly the law,  they will go with it.   Because why?   Because guess what, It makes sense!!    The Staceys had no way of knowingthe circumstances under which the ticket was lost or who lost it,  andthey just figured it was their lucky day, and rightly so, because onitems like this, your only saving grace is a printed name or Signature,otherwise don't play.  ^   I think alot of you are justsympathazing with the woman bc she is elderly and you think that's anexcuse, but there IS NO EXCUSE, not being distracted, not being ina hurry, not being old, not being late, not being a Monday, or whateverother crazy bs excuse you wanna throw out.   Sometimes life just isthat way, and you have to accept it, because just imagine in a countrywith as many people as ours, and with cities with millions of people inthem, if we did this for everyone who presented a lost item, we'd bescrewed up the hill with more phony complaints than real ones.   Sigh,lol, I just think like the lottery itself says at least here in the US,is that the lottery is not responsible for lost tickets,they are only responsible for validating the ticket or authenticatingthat it is real, and that the name on the back is the same as theperson or persons claiming it, and running background checks on them.  I'm sorry , but too little too late,  and what lost is lost, and whatis given is given, even so if unvoluntarily, by losing an item likethis woman did.   They Staceys did nothing wrong, except FIND SOMETHING, and they also happened at the same time to stumble upon a win, so more kuddos to them, it was their lucky day, and rightly so, because well, sometimes you just get lucky.   

I suppose you don't have to win the lotto and their prize money, you can win in other ways too, and its not CHEATING, OR FRAUD, OR FOUL PLAY.  I think even the Bible somewhere says somthing to this effect.  And Ifthe law is impartial and fair, and supposed to make sense, I don't knowwhy the courts don't side more often with people like the Staceys,because I have to tell you I sympathize alot with them.  They DON'T STRIKE ME AS WANTING TO BE DECEIVING OR CANNIVING, OR DISHONEST PEOPLE, IN FACT,I DON'T THINK, IF THERE WASN'T A SIGNATURE, AND THOSE ARE THE RULES OFTHE GAME, THAT THE LOTTERY HAS THE RIGHT TO ASK THEM IF IT'S REALLYTHEIR TICKET OR NOT, IF THEIR SIGNATURE IS NOW ON THE BACK OF THE TICKET.   THE LOTTERY IS GOING AGAINST ITS OWN RULES AND IF THEY CLAIM TO BE NOT BE RESPONSIBLE THEN THEY SHOULD NOT GET INVOLVED,otherwise they are going against their own rules, which doesn't makesense, and if the law doesn't make sense then we're all up the hill, bcthe law is there to "supposedly make sense."

HE-L, I understandif it's something relatively easy to understand to be returnable like acell phone, or a wallet which usually have contact info, but a freakingslip of paper, GIVE ME A BREAK...   If it wasn't for theStaceys that wretched, greedy woman would more than likely never havebeen awarded a dime, so she should quit her moaning and considerherself twice lucky, and the poor Staceys, I don't think they lied onthe form, not strictly speaking, bc the rules of the game don'tstrictly state what the claim wants you to fill out.   Why haveconflicting rules?   IF they do want to be the middle man, they oftengo through a loophole where in the very end of tickets its says'lottery decides all final games, compliance of players, blah blahblah.'   what bulls--t.   I dunno, maybe the lottery was trying to be nice, by helping the so-called rightful owner,but don't scapegoat the poor Staceys when most people would have donewhat they did, bc if you reduce it to bare logic, it is theirs, justlike if a one hundred dollar bill is found etc, no signature, notheft.   I don't sign my tickets either, and G-d strike me down if I b-and moan, which is what this lady wants to do and KINDA OF WHAT I AM DOING TOO, - but that's it, let her vent, and then let her go on her merry way, lesson learned, lesson lived.   Just like all of us. 

Whatis surprising is the number of tickets that get lost, and turn out tobe winners, I wonder if people aren't losing them just to stir uptrouble, I dunno if that's too far-stretced, but It's a good idea tothink about, and all the more reasons lotteries should not take sides,even when customers can supposedly identify this and that, bc itwouldn't be too hard to find out most of that information, per se.  DON'T TREAT THE STACEYS LIKE THOSE CROOKED CLERKS WHICH ARE THE REALENEMIES, AND REAL THREAT TO LOTTO PLAYERS, THOSE KIND OF PEOPLE DOOOO STEAL AND DOOOO CHEAT YOU OUT OF YOUR OWN MONEY, BUT HEY, WHEN YOU LOSE YOUR OWN SH-T, DON'T COME CRYING WOLF, BECAUSE YOU BIT YOUR OWN HAND.   Eek

MAN I NEED A BEERRudolph   ANYONE WANT TO ADD TO THIS... OR WEIGH IN ON THIS MORE.... I JUST SOOOOOOOOOOOOO FEEEL I'M RIGHT ABOUT THIS...... ROFL  BUT FEELING AND BEING RIGHT ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS, SO JUST WONDERING WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS ABOUT THIS, IF ANY OF YOU MADE IT DOWN THIS FAR ANYWAY LOL.... I SALUTE YOU.....    Patriot

Cheers   Cheers Banana LOL  Party ApproveDanceTrollBananaSmash  Cool   Lurking  PartyLOL   Cheers   Cheers    Embarassed   Banana

^KIND OF LIFE HOW, as I type this I just saw the Life-Saver Buttonon here, and I feel like a bigger dumba-s, for not looking at itbefore, although I don't feel like such anymore, bc I Think it's all inhow you look at it, and I've learned MY lesson know, which in thiscase, is, to know what is available before participating.  lol.   ORDON'T COMPLAIN!!!  LOL... thought about erasing the top part, but I amjust venting, and I that's just what the older woman wants to do, is b---- and  moan, but guess what , if YOU THINK FAIR IS FAIR, well I GOT A BETTER ONE, .... RIGHT IS RIGHT!!!!    Green laugh

*** - I should not be mad not at the backspace which thinks not, but at myself, for being that careless, lol.

D-MN THE LOTTERY POST -  WITH ITS AWESOME, THOUGHT-PROVOKING STORIES... HEHEHEHE  I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!! ApproveDanceTrollBananaSmash  Cool

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by bashley572 on Jul 26, 2009

Yea, good point with the fraud part of NOT being the one  who paid for it.  Now next question is 'If you lost a jacpot winning ticket and someone else turned it in so you could get it back to claim the win - would you give the person who turned it in any money??? 

I think I would but not sure how much.

Certainly I would consider giving them as much as I might have spent on legal fees trying to get it back, at least 10% of the prize.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

An unsigned ticket belongs to the person who has the ticket !

Sign you tickets if you don't want to have a problem !

No No

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Boy I'm glad that we kicked out the British. Let them do wat they will to themselves.

Cheers cheers LJ

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

I agree that it was their fault for losing the lotto ticket and not signing it.  Atleast they got half the prize.  I'm glad it wasn't a major prize in the millions, then it would cause much heartache.  Anyway a good story.

DC81's avatarDC81

Lovin' all the excuses and justification for stealing something that isn't rightfully (or legally) yours, keep it up guys! Hurray!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Jul 28, 2009

Lovin' all the excuses and justification for stealing something that isn't rightfully (or legally) yours, keep it up guys! Hurray!

Just like someone that currently lives in the White House !

Red Devil

And just like the person who was in the white house before the person who is currently there!

Red Devil

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Jul 28, 2009

And just like the person who was in the white house before the person who is currently there!

Red Devil

"It was BUSH'S fault" for the next 100 years !

Boo Hoo Hoo Hoo !

Those rich Doctors only went to school for 10 years - the UAW members deserve more money than them !

The Greed of Envy !!!!!!!!!!

Red Devil

And??? It will be Obama's fault for the next hundred years to some people also! Boo Hoo Hoo Hoo !

Roll Eyes

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

What do Obama and Bush have to do with the Lottery? 

By the way, if I win the PB and earn over $500,000 a year, I won't mind paying a little more in taxes if it means someone with cancer will get the propert treatment or a family won't go hungry because Daddy had a heart attack.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Jul 28, 2009

What do Obama and Bush have to do with the Lottery? 

By the way, if I win the PB and earn over $500,000 a year, I won't mind paying a little more in taxes if it means someone with cancer will get the propert treatment or a family won't go hungry because Daddy had a heart attack.

The taxes are already high enough !

The article is about taking something that is not your's !

Just like Obama thinks that he should take productive people's money and give it to the unproductive !

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Jul 28, 2009

And??? It will be Obama's fault for the next hundred years to some people also! Boo Hoo Hoo Hoo !

Roll Eyes

WHO ?

faith77

Call me the odd one, but---  The point is that this couple found the ticket on the floor.  Yes, they could have given it to the clerk;  the clerk may have kept it or trashed it.  Since the original buyer did not sign it, how did they prove it was actually her ticket?  A few times I have dropped one of  my lotto tickets after I purchased them due to my own negligence; I didn't go back to the store, bacause I know that in reality whoever found the ticket kept it and if they won -  fine!  I lost my right to them when I dropped or misplaced the ticket.

The same goes for money.  Recently, a friend dropped a bank envelope, outside the bank, with her mortgage $850.00 in it.  Luckily, it was returned to the bank by someone who found it, minus $110.00.  The bank camera showed the person (58 year old female) that returned the money and could have prosecuted.  But my friend asked them not to after she found out that the person used the $110.00 to prevent a foreclosure that the bank was going to issue that afternoon. 

She felt o.k. in knowing that she helped someone stay in a house at least 30 more days.

ca-dreamin*'s avatarca-dreamin*

About 3 or 4 years ago I found a $1 MM QP ticket on the sidewalk. LOL maybe it's a good thing it wasn't a winner!

Unfortunately this story leaves out alot of details.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this.....except what a mess for the Staceys.

When I filled out the claim form for for SuperLotto I DID NOT have to specify where the ticket was purchased nor was I asked.

My experience with finding things......

More than once I have found wallets with ID so I gave them to my supervisor to be mailed back to the rightful owners.

Once I found an unsigned credit card on the sidewalk. I called the number on the back and told the issuer I found the card so it could be canceled.

I found a watch in the gutter and it never occurred to me I had an obligation to find it's rightful owner.

Money......Once I was walking in a store and a man on his way out dropped some so I caught his attention and told him. I've also seen money hanging out of peoples pockets and I brought it to their attention. I have found money in the gutter, on the sidewalk and even in the middle of the street and no one around but me. I have also found money when other people are around and learned very quickly that if you ask someone if they just dropped some money they'll say yes (by asking you just let them know you have no idea who dropped it)

If I needed money and found a lottery ticket I would think it was luck too.(Well not after reading this) This story doesn't say the Staceys saw the McDonaghs drop the ticket....only that the ticket was found.

The next time I find something I'll remember this..... Finders Beware!

DC81's avatarDC81

The "trick" is to say you found some money but not specify how much, really weeds out the dishonest people, obviously there's probable exceptions like if it's a buck or two that most likely aren't going to be missed at all. Owners of lost winning tickets aren't something that would be too hard to find. Especially when so many places have security cameras now days, never mind if someone actually takes and keeps their receipts.

PERDUE

Quote: Originally posted by ca-dreamin* on Jul 29, 2009

About 3 or 4 years ago I found a $1 MM QP ticket on the sidewalk. LOL maybe it's a good thing it wasn't a winner!

Unfortunately this story leaves out alot of details.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this.....except what a mess for the Staceys.

When I filled out the claim form for for SuperLotto I DID NOT have to specify where the ticket was purchased nor was I asked.

My experience with finding things......

More than once I have found wallets with ID so I gave them to my supervisor to be mailed back to the rightful owners.

Once I found an unsigned credit card on the sidewalk. I called the number on the back and told the issuer I found the card so it could be canceled.

I found a watch in the gutter and it never occurred to me I had an obligation to find it's rightful owner.

Money......Once I was walking in a store and a man on his way out dropped some so I caught his attention and told him. I've also seen money hanging out of peoples pockets and I brought it to their attention. I have found money in the gutter, on the sidewalk and even in the middle of the street and no one around but me. I have also found money when other people are around and learned very quickly that if you ask someone if they just dropped some money they'll say yes (by asking you just let them know you have no idea who dropped it)

If I needed money and found a lottery ticket I would think it was luck too.(Well not after reading this) This story doesn't say the Staceys saw the McDonaghs drop the ticket....only that the ticket was found.

The next time I find something I'll remember this..... Finders Beware!

I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!

dingo's avatardingo

Nowsaday, people claims that they are very honest, but they lack of integrity. The difference between honesty and integrity is a person must take an extra step to consider the feelings and emtions of other.

I blame both party. The ticket founder is greedy. The ticket winner is a lazy bump. Why do they wait to late to report the lost ticket? I consider that they are lucky to have unspent portion back in their hand.

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by dingo on Aug 5, 2009

Nowsaday, people claims that they are very honest, but they lack of integrity. The difference between honesty and integrity is a person must take an extra step to consider the feelings and emtions of other.

I blame both party. The ticket founder is greedy. The ticket winner is a lazy bump. Why do they wait to late to report the lost ticket? I consider that they are lucky to have unspent portion back in their hand.

They call it empathy: A sharing through imagination of another's feelings or state of mind.

What they do is empathize: To feel or experience empathy.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story