Mega Millions lottery sales brisk as big draw nears

Aug 25, 2009, 9:56 pm (27 comments)

Mega Millions

Waiting for the big draw tonight?  Here's a fun video report to watch

Stores were bustling Tuesday, filled with customers hoping to strike it rich tonight.

The Mega Millions jackpot stands at $252 million — the biggest in a year and a half.

The Park Avenue Pharmacy in Worcester is a popular place for people to chase the dream.

"We've been consistently ranked in the top two in lottery sales in the city and we are the number one pharmacy in the state for lottery sales."

The pharmacy usually sees an increase in sales when the jackpot climbs this high, plus it doesn't hurt to have some fortunate customers.

Others think their chances are stronger in "numbers" literally.

"We have a pool at work. After taxes we get 2.4 million each but I'm not greedy I'll take a little. Every bit helps."

And those who say they have the winning ticket know exactly what they will do with all that cash.

Lottery officials estimate that more than three million tickets will be sold today in the 12 states that participate in Mega Millions. And if there is no winner tonight Friday's jackpot will be even bigger meaning for some that case of lottery fever will get much worst.

Don't forget to check the results at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) after 11:00 p.m.!

NECN

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

ohiopick3's avatarohiopick3

I guess we will find out in about 49 minutes if there is a winner!

JONNIE

Someone wins tonight:

Odds.  YES -120

NO EVEN

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by ohiopick3 on Aug 25, 2009

Only the person holding the winning ticket will know if someone won at 11:00 PM, the rest will have to wait a while.

markp1950

The number  in case they are late

03 12 19 22 40  MB02

252 Mill

If no winner 325Mil

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by markp1950 on Aug 25, 2009

The number  in case they are late

03 12 19 22 40  MB02

252 Mill

If no winner 325Mil

By the time you posted this, the results were already at www.usamega.com.  No need to post results in the forums.

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Aug 25, 2009

By the time you posted this, the results were already at www.usamega.com.  No need to post results in the forums.

How long before we know if there was a winner?

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

It's my turn to win Mega Millions !.  Patriot

Pogo's avatarPogo

Love the video News Clip on this thread Todd... Very Cool - Pogo Lovies

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on Aug 25, 2009

How long before we know if there was a winner?

Mega Millions takes a bit longer than Powerball, for some reason.  I wouldn't start looking until 1:00 a.m. (Eastern) or so.  Sometimes they surprise us with an early announcement, but it's normally between 1 and 2 in the morning.

DelmarvaChick's avatarDelmarvaChick

Quote: Originally posted by ohiopick3 on Aug 25, 2009

I am not the jackpot winner. I hope I get the chance to try again for a big jackpot on Friday.

kingssean

I was close to hit the jackpot. But $150 in 7 ticket will help alot. I onced had a dream the mega climb to 330 mill and I think I might be right. If nobody wins tonight, I'm going to play like crazy

kingssean

I hope it goes up to 325 mill. If it does, I don't know how much excitement there gonna be

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

Thanks Todd!

Yeah i hope it rolls too.  I'm going to be in Georgia this weekend, i can buy tix friday and saturday if it rolls twice!

kingssean

Damm! everybody is online waiting to see if nobody wins. Its funny how crazy people go for big millions..but wait people it ain't that easy to win.. If it sounds to good to be true, maybe it is not true. Tonight I finally realize it that Its not easy to win the jackpot. My number is 02,12,19,22,40 and megaball 03. as you can see if the 03 was in place of of 02 and 03 was in place of  02, I would have hit the jackpot. And I bought 7 ticket of the same number.. goood for me thaty I win $150 dollars 7 times, but imagine if it was the jackpot, I would have split it 7 times to myself which would be a history.. The lottery is very difficult people. Believe me, tonight is the truth. From now on, I'm gonna play for fun, but not with the belief that I will hit the jackpot. If I happen to win the jackpot, I'm bless.  After all, it just a game.

DelmarvaChick's avatarDelmarvaChick

Quote: Originally posted by kingssean on Aug 26, 2009

Damm! everybody is online waiting to see if nobody wins. Its funny how crazy people go for big millions..but wait people it ain't that easy to win.. If it sounds to good to be true, maybe it is not true. Tonight I finally realize it that Its not easy to win the jackpot. My number is 02,12,19,22,40 and megaball 03. as you can see if the 03 was in place of of 02 and 03 was in place of  02, I would have hit the jackpot. And I bought 7 ticket of the same number.. goood for me thaty I win $150 dollars 7 times, but imagine if it was the jackpot, I would have split it 7 times to myself which would be a history.. The lottery is very difficult people. Believe me, tonight is the truth. From now on, I'm gonna play for fun, but not with the belief that I will hit the jackpot. If I happen to win the jackpot, I'm bless.  After all, it just a game.

Wow!!!That's pretty cool. Sucks that your numbers were in the wrong place...or rather that MM picked the wrong numbers for you...lol. Congratulations on your win though.  Do you always buy multiple tickets like that? I've bought multiple tickets before accidentally because I have forgotten if I've played my numbers or not, but I've never doneit intentionally.

InItAndWonIt

I am curious how you chose your numbers? Because, no lie, if those are special numbers for you the odds of them coming again in any order will probably not be in our lifetime.

But not for nothing that is an awesome amount to win. That's a nice chump of change, even in the N-Y-C.

If anything, I would definitely keep playing. Sounds like you are almost there. :)

kingssean

Yeah. I did most of the time, but not this amount. Sometimes I spend $15 dollar, but today I play for $7 dollar of the same ticket.

kingssean

It was family birthdays.

markp1950

Illinois has just reported 325,000,000! For Friday!

MarkP

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by markp1950 on Aug 26, 2009

MarkP

Yes, it's listed on USA Mega (www.usamega.com).

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

MarkP

Wow, it's going to be a big jackpot!

dingo's avatardingo

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Mega Millions jackpot rolled over to $325 millions. The battle continues folks. Don't put down your shields and swords yet.

Todd's avatarTodd

Everyone, please do not paste content from other web sites.

spy153's avatarspy153

MarkP

I'm curious to  know how you knew it was going to be that amount before it was posted, MarkP?

meriwetherman's avatarmeriwetherman

They usually tell you on the news here in Atlanta how much it can be if nobody wins from one drawing to the next.

spy153's avatarspy153

Oh, thank you.

Halle99's avatarHalle99

Party

Wow Congrats Kingssean that was so close........Good luck to all....I am seeing myself with the record jacpot.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story