Bronx mystery winner claimed half of $333M lottery jackpot

Sep 2, 2009, 5:49 pm (36 comments)

Mega Millions

The lucky owner of a winning Mega Millions lottery ticket bought in the Bronx claimed the $166.5 million prize Tuesday, but it remains a mystery who he or she is.

"I can confirm that the winning ticket was claimed today, but can divulge no further information," said New York Lottery spokeswoman Jennifer Givner.

Givner said the winner claimed the jackpot at the state Lottery office on Beaver St. in lower Manhattan.

The ticket was sold at Fordham Grocery and Convenience Store. It was one of two winning tickets for last Friday's $333 million Mega Millions drawing.

N.Y. Daily News

Comments

Jazi76

So wait a minute, NY can claim winnings anonymously?

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by Jazi76 on Sep 2, 2009

I'm wondering that also. I didn't think one could choose to remain anonymous in New York. It's good for the winner at least. Hopefully, they avoid being hounded by the press and a bunch of strangers by being allowed to remain anonymous.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Roll Eyeswell I hope for his/her/them's continued well being 

hopefully R able to keep the news to themselves

Jazi76

I think maybe, but just a hypothetical maybe, that the reason why the winner was not divulged is because:

-the highly publicized jackpot amount, even though a Queens man won in July, $333 million was the highest jackpot in the last 18 months

-state of economy.  The recession can bring unwanted harm to the lottery winner.

Hopefully, NY will continue to respect everyone's privacy in the future.

iGlenn

Quote: Originally posted by Jazi76 on Sep 2, 2009

Maybe they'll be doing a press conference later.  New York is not a state that allows winners to claim anonymously.  If the winners name isn't released in a timely manner the NY Post will probably file a Freedom of Information Act request.

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

Quote: Originally posted by iGlenn on Sep 2, 2009

Maybe they'll be doing a press conference later.  New York is not a state that allows winners to claim anonymously.  If the winners name isn't released in a timely manner the NY Post will probably file a Freedom of Information Act request.

you know that's a horrible thing to do.  I know it gets ratings but it makes me sick the NY Post would stoop so low.  What is this world coming to???

Righty*O's avatarRighty*O

Unwanted harm?  As opposed to the wanted kind?Jester Laugh

spy153's avatarspy153

Quote: Originally posted by Righty*O on Sep 2, 2009

Unwanted harm?  As opposed to the wanted kind?Jester Laugh

LOL

sweet win for them, whoever they were.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Yes, Bronx winner(s)!   I wonder if their 1/2 jackpot was claimed on behalf of more than 1 person!  Yes to continued, rare, name(s) privacy and therefore safety!

I agree with the other posters, when these states say that they MUST live interview these jackpot winners or else nobody will believe that a real person(s) won, I don't agree.  I and many others TRUST that a person(s) won (besides, we all know that all of these different lotteries, raffles, and sweapstakes organizations get audited ... so the really giving money away to a non-affiliated person is COVERED/CHECKED).  Let's stop with the interviews/photos/name releases in all of the good 'ole U.S.A.!!!

Hiding Behind Computer

kikie

I don't know why people afraid to claim their prize in public. So what? If I ever win, I will not be afraid to tell who am I. These people are cowward. Why do they have BodyGuards and Gun? Isn't to protect you.

kikie

You are right. This shate is made up. WE need to see the real person who wins. Its just not fair. I'm gonna stop playing megamillions because it is a fake

tweak's avatartweak

theres a rumor going around my job that it was a 19 year old and he claimed anonymously for security concerns . wonder if its true?

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by kikie on Sep 2, 2009

I don't know why people afraid to claim their prize in public. So what? If I ever win, I will not be afraid to tell who am I. These people are cowward. Why do they have BodyGuards and Gun? Isn't to protect you.

If you don't get why someone would be concerned about their safety when claiming a big jackpot then you're either ignorant or an idiot.

Halle99's avatarHalle99

Party

Congrats the the winner(s).....May God bless him/her/them

Quote: Originally posted by kikie on Sep 2, 2009

Roll Eyes I very much doubt you'd talk soo tough if it was you

RinTinTin

The point is that the money ANY lottery winner gets is money that millions of hard-working individuals have contributed through their purchase of lottery tickets.  It is not money that any person has earned through honest work, talent, inheritance, etc.  In effect, the money is public funds (not much different from taxes). The purpose of taking photos, making a public appearance, going on TV with that giant check in your hand, etc, is to say to all the contributors, "Look -- here's a guy just like you. He's a (plumber, auto worker, librarian, bank teller, whatever), an ordinary guy you can relate to.  If he could win all these bucks, so can YOU!!"  It's a promotional tool,  helps to entice new players, make the lottery more fun, etc., and whoever wins has an obligation to, at the very least, show his face.  After that he can pick up and move to a Caribbean island or do whatever he wants with his sudden windfall.  That's not too much to ask.  I hope the NY Post does "out" him (and knowing the Post, they probably will).

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by tweak on Sep 3, 2009

theres a rumor going around my job that it was a 19 year old and he claimed anonymously for security concerns . wonder if its true?

Theres a rumor at my bronx hospital ...JACOBI MEDICAL CENTER...that a woman won the jackpot..just wish her good luckPartyParty

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by RinTinTin on Sep 3, 2009

The point is that the money ANY lottery winner gets is money that millions of hard-working individuals have contributed through their purchase of lottery tickets.  It is not money that any person has earned through honest work, talent, inheritance, etc.  In effect, the money is public funds (not much different from taxes). The purpose of taking photos, making a public appearance, going on TV with that giant check in your hand, etc, is to say to all the contributors, "Look -- here's a guy just like you. He's a (plumber, auto worker, librarian, bank teller, whatever), an ordinary guy you can relate to.  If he could win all these bucks, so can YOU!!"  It's a promotional tool,  helps to entice new players, make the lottery more fun, etc., and whoever wins has an obligation to, at the very least, show his face.  After that he can pick up and move to a Caribbean island or do whatever he wants with his sudden windfall.  That's not too much to ask.  I hope the NY Post does "out" him (and knowing the Post, they probably will).

Yeah and if they were to do so and something happens to that winner that can be tied to it then they're going to be hit with a nice lawsuit.

barbos's avatarbarbos

Anonymously, anonymously and only anonymously - the only way to claim.  No beggars, no criminals, no new "relatives" and "friends". 
Those who look for glory - good luck, you are on your way to bankruptcy court, I won't see you there only because I don't go there.

dk1421's avatardk1421

My first thought: Witness Protection Program - someone on it won!

HiFi's avatarHiFi

i thought ny lottery policy is that they always release the name, why do they break the rules just this one time?  personally, i think if you dont want any publicity when you win, then dont play.

corius$1918!

Congratulations to the winner. I would have claimed winning just as he or she did.  it called freedom of choice.  For those who want to do the publicity, that should be your choice,and equally for those of us who would want to remain anonymous, that's our choice.  We have just as much right to play the game as anyone!

Someone implied  that winners can go public because that's  why we have Guns and Bodyguards.  Those of us who wish to remain anonymous choose not to have our lives disrupted to the point where we need Guns and Bodyguards due to unwanted publicity.  There are many people who want the publicity and willingly appear for the excuse that they want to ensure the lottery is not fake.

Thank God for Trusts!!!!!!! (smile)

TNPATL

I totally respect this person for wanting to remain anonymous.  It simply saves being hounded by scammers, by greedy folks etc.  So I hope this person can remain anonymous and enjoy his newfound wealth in peace.

kikie

F.U....what safety? I spent my money, not others money. People have to acceptr a win or a lost. thats why we play. If I ever won, first I get my gun permit and shoot anyone who came in my way.

kikie

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Sep 3, 2009

If you don't get why someone would be concerned about their safety when claiming a big jackpot then you're either ignorant or an idiot.

F.U....what safety? I spent my money, not others money. People have to acceptr a win or a lost. thats why we play. If I ever won, first I get my gun permit and shoot anyone who came in my way.

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by HiFi on Sep 5, 2009

i thought ny lottery policy is that they always release the name, why do they break the rules just this one time?  personally, i think if you dont want any publicity when you win, then dont play.

Yea Hifi,,,thats what i want to know about New York Lottery .they always take a photo shoot and news meeting...now they changed  or what.....I'm waiting for the new york news or the new york post {newspapers here in ny}..to break the story...and as for a gun  or bodygaurd ,,thats only going to get me in trouble...i just wanted to buy a waterfront house with that money,for myself ,then give the rest to st. jude hospital and a ronald McDonald house for kiddsPartyUS FlagParty

gocart1's avatargocart1

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Sep 3, 2009

Theres a rumor at my bronx hospital ...JACOBI MEDICAL CENTER...that a woman won the jackpot..just wish her good luckPartyParty

Yea.......looks like this lady from jacobi medical center really did win the jackpot

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Sep 3, 2009

Just because they're ignorant doesn't mean they aren't also an idiot.

Even if NY allowed a winner to remain anonymous, that wouldn't prevent them from releasing  other information, so anonymity isn't a reason for the spokeperson to say they can't release any other information. My guess would be that the winner is  being allowed some time to get things in order before the rest of the information is released.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Sep 9, 2009

Even if NY allowed a winner to remain anonymous, that wouldn't prevent them from releasing  other information, so anonymity isn't a reason for the spokeperson to say they can't release any other information. My guess would be that the winner is  being allowed some time to get things in order before the rest of the information is released.

"that wouldn't prevent them from releasing other information"

Like the name of the store selling the ticket and a clerk remembering that "Mrs. Jones who works at the Jacobi Medical Center usually buys her tickets around the time same the winning ticket was sold".

iGlenn

Jimmy Groves has revealed himself as the NY winner of the Jackpot.  However, this has not been confirmed by NY lottery officials.  I can't post a links due to forum rules but they can be found by doing a Google search.

Jazi76

Quote: Originally posted by iGlenn on Sep 9, 2009

Jimmy Groves has revealed himself as the NY winner of the Jackpot.  However, this has not been confirmed by NY lottery officials.  I can't post a links due to forum rules but they can be found by doing a Google search.

Found the article by the NY Post with Jimmy Groves.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/regional/manhattan/once_broke_harlem_man_in_the_money_w9fyBfNDlwqJeuYn5oEHAP

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Sep 9, 2009

That's why I said "OR" and "AND", however the poster replied and cleared things right up.

Jazi76

Quote: Originally posted by Jazi76 on Sep 9, 2009

Found the article by the NY Post with Jimmy Groves.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/regional/manhattan/once_broke_harlem_man_in_the_money_w9fyBfNDlwqJeuYn5oEHAP

What pisses me off after reading this article, is that Jimmy felt the need to tell everyone, and I mean everyone that he won the lottery?  Why if you have not received even the first check and you and your family still live in the ghetto?  Then he has the nerve to complain about the 40 calls he received after morning begging for money.  Dumb dumb Crazy (The Flinstones) , you brought that headache and aggravation on yourself.  

IMO, he should have told his job that he injured himself while at home (believe me, they will not send anyone to your home to verify this) and need to take a couple of days off to think and pack.  Then get a lawyer, financial advisor, and accountant to set-up your new found wealth.  After you have done the press conference, get on the next flight to Disney World.

iGlenn

Quote: Originally posted by Jazi76 on Sep 9, 2009

What pisses me off after reading this article, is that Jimmy felt the need to tell everyone, and I mean everyone that he won the lottery?  Why if you have not received even the first check and you and your family still live in the ghetto?  Then he has the nerve to complain about the 40 calls he received after morning begging for money.  Dumb dumb Crazy (The Flinstones) , you brought that headache and aggravation on yourself.  

IMO, he should have told his job that he injured himself while at home (believe me, they will not send anyone to your home to verify this) and need to take a couple of days off to think and pack.  Then get a lawyer, financial advisor, and accountant to set-up your new found wealth.  After you have done the press conference, get on the next flight to Disney World.

He may not even be they winner.  Could just be some loser looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

Jazi76

Quote: Originally posted by iGlenn on Sep 9, 2009

He may not even be they winner.  Could just be some loser looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

I hope that is the case.  If not, he sure got everyone's attention in his neighborhood after seeing his face.  I hope that he is safe.

Roll Eyespersonally it doesn't matter to me if he is or not the lucky sap ......

but if he is the winner then No Pity!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story