America's multi-state lottery titans agree to ticket-selling partnership

Oct 14, 2009, 9:13 am (40 comments)

Mega Millions / Powerball

Even bigger, unified national game could be next

They are the two "marquee games" in American lotteries: Mega Millions and Powerball.  Each lottery state currently has one, but not the other.  However, the Mega Millions consortium and Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) have reached an agreement in principle to cross-sell Mega Millions and Powerball in all U.S. lottery jurisdictions.

The agreement means that lotteries from across the United States, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, will be able to choose to offer their lottery players both jackpot games via their respective retailers.

States that currently sell Powerball and other lottery products will have the opportunity to begin offering Mega Millions tickets to their players via authorized lottery retailers. As a result of this agreement, Mega Millions states will then be able to offer the Powerball game to complement their existing game mix. No firm date has been set for implementation, although it is hoped that it could be in early 2010. It is also hoped that this could be the beginning of several joint initiatives.

"Lottery Post members have been waiting for this day to come for years," said Todd Northrop of Lottery Post, the Internet's largest community of lottery players.

"This new agreement will not only generate more player excitement, but should increase sales of both games, as players will have access to a mega-jackpot game four days per week, instead of just two."

"For states with computerized drawings, the addition of another game with real ball drawings should also help bring more players back to the ticket counter," Northrop added.

Mega Millions is currently played in 12 states, with a combined population of roughly 160 million. Powerball is currently available from 33 lotteries (31 states plus the District of Columbia and Virgin Islands) with a combined population of roughly 125 million.

At first, both could in effect become national lotteries, if all or nearly all of the existing jurisdictions — including the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands — elect to participate. More than 285 million people live in areas with these lotteries.

But an even bigger game is in the works as well.

"If we develop a national game, it will probably be at a different price point," said Tom Shaheen, president of the Powerball group. "It might be $2. It might be $5. It will be a single game, but we haven't worked out all the details of that yet. The other two games, I believe, would remain intact."

Such a super lottery could happen by next fall, said Chuck Strutt, the Powerball group's executive director.

The hope is to raise more money for state treasuries.

In March, New Jersey Gov. Corzine's proposed budget suggested adding Powerball as a way to raise $10 million more a year for coffers of New Jersey, one of the 12 Mega Millions states.  Other states, including Massachusetts, had similar budget assumptions.

One reason revenues should rise is that as jackpots soar, so do ticket sales.

When Mega Millions rolled over last night, its jackpot grew by $30 million, because it was already huge. As a result Friday's jackpot will be $200 million.

(Last night's numbers: 17, 31, 34, 45 and 51, with a Mega Ball of 24. Ten tickets won $250,000.)

Powerball, on the other hand, grew by "only" $5 million on Saturday night, because its jackpot was relatively low. Tonight's annuity jackpot is $30 million.

Increased sales should also mean giant jackpots would rise much faster — and get hit much sooner — perhaps heightening the frenzy.

Small jackpots, on the other hand, might grow more slowly as they wait for the higher payout to reboot.

Such consequences might spur modifications to either or both games, as well as lead to new games.

Although states do not have to opt in, they'll probably be under great pressure to do so, for fearing of losing revenue.

One impetus for the merger came from observations that many people crossed state lines to chase giant jackpots.

If New Jersey, New York and Maryland offered both games and Pennsylvania didn't, Pennsylvania's lottery revenues might fall, as people from neighboring states buy Powerball tickets at home.

Thanks to adamc224 for the tip.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

SmoothJuice

That's just friggin' great.  Now the odds of winning are going to be way worse.  This may be the end of me playing the MM and PB.

vistaguy

This is going to kill off State run lotteries.

chuck32

Quote: Originally posted by SmoothJuice on Oct 14, 2009

That's just friggin' great.  Now the odds of winning are going to be way worse.  This may be the end of me playing the MM and PB.

Of course, the odds stay exactly the same.  Just faster climbing jackpots and more jackpot winners.

konane's avatarkonane

I see those changes as a natural evolution of those games, and welcome Powerball BACK to Georgia. Banana

I questioned why the Georgia Lottery eliminated it in favor of "The Big Game" (which morphed into "Mega Millions") back in 1996.

The sooner they implement these changes the better.  It's the next best thing to being able to purchase other states' lottery tickets online.

chuck32

Quote: Originally posted by vistaguy on Oct 14, 2009

This is going to kill off State run lotteries.

These games are state lottery games.  A dollar earned looks just the same as the dollar earned on a pull-tab.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by chuck32 on Oct 14, 2009

These games are state lottery games.  A dollar earned looks just the same as the dollar earned on a pull-tab.

I agree.  In-state games will continue to exist, and will do just fine.  People play the in-state games because they have better odds of winning. 

After all, that's why many people play Pick 5 instead of Pick 6:  even though the top prize is much lower, the odds of winning it are much better.

There will always be people who don't see the big picture of more choice, more options, and more excitement that this announcement brings.  Heck, there are some who will get upset at ANY change at all, no matter what it is.  But I have to say that this is one of the most-requested topics I have heard from lottery players in the 10 years Lottery Post has been around.

What a great day for lottery players in every state!

vistaguy

Quote: Originally posted by chuck32 on Oct 14, 2009

Right, however, using my own state as an example, if Indiana adds the Mega Ball, I suspect they would see a huge drop in sales for their own state run lottery, the Hoosier Lottery. A drop in sales could cause states to discontinue their state run lotteries and stick with the larger Mega and PB. IMO of course.

vistaguy

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Oct 14, 2009

I agree.  In-state games will continue to exist, and will do just fine.  People play the in-state games because they have better odds of winning. 

After all, that's why many people play Pick 5 instead of Pick 6:  even though the top prize is much lower, the odds of winning it are much better.

There will always be people who don't see the big picture of more choice, more options, and more excitement that this announcement brings.  Heck, there are some who will get upset at ANY change at all, no matter what it is.  But I have to say that this is one of the most-requested topics I have heard from lottery players in the 10 years Lottery Post has been around.

What a great day for lottery players in every state!

I welcome Mega Ball to Indiana. Cant wait to play it here (currently drive to Ill. to play).

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by vistaguy on Oct 14, 2009

I welcome Mega Ball to Indiana. Cant wait to play it here (currently drive to Ill. to play).

I hear you, and I agree in that any time you change the offerings in a state, it does have a ripple effect.  But it's a complex thing, not always a zero-sum game.

For example, the days of the week that the new game is drawn can determine the effect.  For example, in your state, Indiana, the Lotto game is drawn on Wednesday and Saturday, so the addition of the Mega Millions game, with its drawings on Tuesday and Friday, may not impact the Lotto volume as you're expecting it will.  In fact, the addition of a big-jackpot game on alternate days can actually help sales, as it can turn occasional players into daily players.

There are many other angles too, not just the draw dates.  The point is that in-state games will continue to exist, and the lottery directors are careful to ensure the games continue to flourish, because the lottery depends on it.

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

Thats why we drive to Georgia too.The pick 3 still remains on my desk everyday.Well let me just run on out and play these picks,I dont think so.They will do whatever they want no matter what we think about it.But I have a choice.And it will still remain on my desk and not played here,No disrespect to any player or anyone.

mymonthlypicks's avatarmymonthlypicks

This is going to be interesting

1) more winner more ofter and jack pot stay 100M or below or

2) no winners for numberous drawing and maybe a Billion dollar JACKPOT Hmmmmmmmm

I believe mostly that they wont carry over as ofter as now, but once in awhile their Will be JackPots beyond what were use to seeing. Good Luck everyone

I wished all State had progressive jackpot for 5 numbers without the bonus like Calf.

berwin64's avatarberwin64

I agree with you TN Player. All the way!!Bang Head

BabyJC's avatarBabyJC

Folks can now use the money that they would have spent on gas (to drive out-of-state etc.) to buy their lotto tickets now Smiley

LottoLin

I think it's great, PowerBall is adding two more states to it's list so it brings it up to 34 states in Power Ball  the odds suck. I have better odds in Mega Millions but have to drive to Illinois for a ticket. So with this change I can get my ticket right here at home and not have to drive to the state line to play Mega Millions. Finally a great idea.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

more players, bigger jackpots, bigger loser bums to read about blowing it all ina frenzy of stupidity.

woo hoo we all win.

joshuakim

this is wonderful news.

it means that i no longer have to buy megamillions online.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I can't wait !

Pennsylvania lost all of my money to West Virginia before they offered Powerball here !

I currently only play Powerball here in PA ... I would play MM here if offered ... I have absolutely no interest in playing daily numbers or any other PA lottery game and never have.

I have a small income and do not have enough money to lose on a daily basis.

Come on MegaMillions !!!!!!!!!!!

Cool  Cool  Party

caipiao

Quote: Originally posted by joshuakim on Oct 14, 2009

this is wonderful news.

it means that i no longer have to buy megamillions online.

where you buy online?  betslips?

canyon

I drive to bordering states once or twice a year when Powerball gets in the 200 plus range to buy tickets just for me or sometimes a group of people.  I used to drive to Florida a few times a year before Georgia got their own lottery.  I CAN'T WAIT!  THIS WAS LONG OVERDUE!  LONG OVERDUE FOR THE REGULAR PLAYERS LIKE MYSELF AND FOR THE OCCASSIONAL PLAYERS THAT PLAY WHEN THE JACKPOT GOES OVER 100M!  ALRIGHT LOTTERY EXECS, LET'S GET THIS THING SIGNED AND DONE AND STARTED IT ASAP!!!  LET'S PLAY!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by BabyJC on Oct 14, 2009

Folks can now use the money that they would have spent on gas (to drive out-of-state etc.) to buy their lotto tickets now Smiley

I Agree! Yes indeed, for every 10 lottery drawings, I've committed to drive to the neighboring state in order to purchase a PowerBall "advance 10 drawings" ticket, with Powerplay option -- it's a 42 minute drive EACH way with more expensive tolls!!

For two years, I've consistantly played both of the weekly drawings for Powerball AND Mega Millions.  So, in about a year, I'll be able to play the same amount, yet have more money left in my budget; since I'll be saving expensive gas and tolls monies come every 10.5 weeks.  And when my ticket is the sole match to the jackpot, these expenses will all be water over the bridge.

Relatedly, to be progressive, Mega Millions simply NEEDS to add a type of powerplay/megaplier option to it's tiered payouts by this January (this has worked wonderfully for Mega Millions in their well established test pilot state Texas)!

Banana

caipiao

billion dollar jackpot?  With nearly fifty states  (I think almost all fifty states have lotteries),  and each drawing being a separate event in statistics ,   you know , probability  theory says the previous events' results don't influence future events. 

It's like each drawing is in a different life, a different lifetime, so  potentially could be 20 weeks without winner, there you have A BILLION DOLLARS

asarenkansah

This is wonderful.I  wrote to the Illinois lottery authorities about this possibility 10 years ago but I heard nothing from them until today. A lot of people were looking forward to this day.

CowboysFan's avatarCowboysFan

When this happens I'm just going to be sticking with the Super Lotto Plus and cut out the Mega Millions. The odds of winning the Mega Millions is already astronomical but if you add in these new states then the odds are just going to be ridiculous. I'm sorry but I am not excited about this.

caipiao

Quote: Originally posted by CowboysFan on Oct 14, 2009

When this happens I'm just going to be sticking with the Super Lotto Plus and cut out the Mega Millions. The odds of winning the Mega Millions is already astronomical but if you add in these new states then the odds are just going to be ridiculous. I'm sorry but I am not excited about this.

the odds are already 1 in 175 million and 1 in 195mil.    These are hard numbers to conceive.  even if they increase odd to  1 in 500 million,  most ppl don't think it's much worse odds.     when they see they're already buying  1 in 195million  odds, they say:  okay twice as hard to win, but  who wins at  1 in 195million?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I see it as a good thing based on one factor - if they don't make the odds worse.

There will be bigger jackpots because of more people playing and more frequent winners for the same reason.

I would rather see more frequent multi-millionaires than a billionaire every now and then.

Classic47

You know, aside from having the option to play powerball in a mega millions state and vice versa, this doesn't change much.  The odds are still the same, it just means there's a better chance or a shared jackpot.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Mega millions will be forced to introduce the mega plier in all states otherwise few people will be motivated to buy it when both jackpots are down.

I like the idea of buying powerball with powerplay two blocks from my home.

Littlemanjen

This is going to be the end of some state run games, I agree. Cash for life is a waste of a dollar.

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Great news. I always want to test my work on PowerBall with live bets. Now, it's possible.

NBey6's avatarNBey6

Okay NCEL, step up to the plate and hit a grand slam!! For once, let this "Bible Belt" state be among the first to do something that the people actually want to do, instead of one of the last!!

Lottery

beaudad's avatarbeaudad

What would be great is to be able to play in any states lottery (I mean pick 3 pick 4 etc) you could play in all states a set of numbers for 25.00 50 states a .50 cent ticket for the same box number and win 50 bucks.............or 40 bucks.........anyway combining the power ball and mega I think is a good idea...........and I would like to play the other states from the terminal in my state................beaudad.....

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Mixed emotions on this. I'm in a MM state and if PB bcomes available I'll probably forget about MM and play the PB and the Power Play, hoping for 5 + 0 for $1,000,000.

If we get a national lottery, I'm not sure there would be a real need for PB and MM, but that's if it's not an insane matrix with a ridiculous amount of numbers.

As far as a $1 billion jackpot, when it was annouced that California would join MM there was a media b;itz about $500,000,000 jackpots. Hasn't even come close to that yet.

I do think this will mostly kill off state Pick 6 games.

LotteryTechInc

This is AWESOME!! FL recently added the PowerBall game so adding Mega-Millions is great but I'll probably just continue playing PowerBall the odds don't intimidate me at all" BRING IT ON"

Tnplayer805's avatarTnplayer805

This is good news.  I'll use Tennessee as an example...  Currently, the lotto plus drawings are Tuesday and Friday Nights.  If Mega Millions is offered...  They will likely move those drawings to Monday and Thursday.  SO...  With that said, states that have their own multi-million dollar jackpot games will have a shot at a life changing jackpot on Monday-Saturday.

LckyLary

They need to make sure that lower prizes are still the same odds. I don't want to hear "..and the PowerMegaBall number is 98!" nor do I like the idea of one ticket costing $5 unless I have a good shot at winning $100 on the Bonus Ball alone. It's going to be very confusing especially on the big jackpots when people who don't normally play don't understand which is which. The betslips are already too crowded; the nj Mega slips have doglegged borders to fit the extra #s they have now!

I would always still play, but not spending more than already. i.e. instead of $2 just on Mega, $1 on each or $2 only on the higher jackpot.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

YEAH THE MENTION OF $5  tickets really sounds scary. also the impossible odds. what if they raised the fee, dropped some lower prizes and kept the odds the same? sort of pull out the powerbal only l and 1+1 and stuffed that in higher tier prizes?  really 1 in 200 million is prety insane odds. can they really jack it any hogher, without people just saying "jack this, im playing pick 5?"

not that it matters to me i live overseas, but good luck everyone, wish i was in the game to :(

Guru101's avatarGuru101

I like the idea. I have no problem with the jackpot getting hit often. $12 million, $20 million, whatever. More than what most people need. At least now I can play both.

Perfecttiming2's avatarPerfecttiming2

Quote: Originally posted by diamondpalace on Oct 15, 2009

Great news. I always want to test my work on PowerBall with live bets. Now, it's possible.

It's also now possible for one person to win both PB and MM jackpots (Someone wrote about that on here awhile back)..........

Not that it couldn't happen before but it'll be a lot easier for more people to get both tickets.

Looks like the stage is being set.......

Perfecttiming2's avatarPerfecttiming2

Quote: Originally posted by Tnplayer805 on Oct 16, 2009

This is good news.  I'll use Tennessee as an example...  Currently, the lotto plus drawings are Tuesday and Friday Nights.  If Mega Millions is offered...  They will likely move those drawings to Monday and Thursday.  SO...  With that said, states that have their own multi-million dollar jackpot games will have a shot at a life changing jackpot on Monday-Saturday.

Hi Tnplayer805....

I think that reality alone of having a shot at a life changing jackpot Monday-Saturday is what will keep people playing regardless of the odds of winning.

I am wondering though, if it will be more people playing but, they may not buy as many tickets per play.

With 3 different games to participate in (state, MM and PB) people may spread out what they are already spending over the three games......just a thought.

barbos's avatarbarbos

Quote: Originally posted by CowboysFan on Oct 14, 2009

When this happens you won't have a chance to stick to Super Lotto Plus - it is agonizing from the day     MM launched in California and I'm pretty sure in the future it will be replaced with PowerBall - played the same days with larger jackpots. The odds in ANY jackpot lottery including scratchers are astronomical so they don't really matter.  The lotteries exist for profiting the states and feds, not the players, and whichever makes more money will be there.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story