Man wins $100,000 in one Pick 4 drawing

Dec 17, 2009, 8:13 am (37 comments)

Virginia Lottery

"I just had a feeling about that particular number," said Douglas Holland of Fayetteville, North Carolina.

That particular number was 3851. He played that number 20 times in the December 3 Pick 4 night drawing and won. Since the top prize for each exact order wager in Pick 4 is $5,000, his total winnings for those 20 tickets came to $100,000.

He bought all of the tickets at Kroger, located at 240 Commonwealth Boulevard in Martinsville.

"It feels great," he told Virginia Lottery officials as he claimed his prize. "It will feel even better when I go to the bank."

Mr. Holland works as a mail carrier for the Postal Service. He said he intends to use his winnings to pay bills and maybe buy a new car.

Pick 4 drawings are held daily at 1:59 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. The chances of matching all four numbers in exact order are 1 in 10,000.

News story photo(Click to display in gallery)

Thanks to luvrh for the tip.

Press Release

Comments

kumazi30's avatarkumazi30

Good job! Congratulations.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

wow thats some feeling

charmed7's avatarcharmed7

WTG Douglas, I just love the month of December, i have seen so many magical things happen, when

people get ready for the HOLIDAYS. Like someone said " Thats some feelin,i'm so happy for Douglas and

his family. A guy in NC won 500,000 on a scratch off, WOW, never know u might b next!Hyper

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Now thats what I call a gamblers resolve. Picking some numbers and dying or

winning with them even when it makes sense to spread out and increase the odds.

I do the same thing for Mass Cash once in a while, buying 5 tickets with the same

numbers hoping to hit the top prize of $1oo,ooo for a total of $5oo,ooo. So far I've

been unlucky but the struggle continues. Douglas Holland just gave me the encouragement

I needed. W00t!

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

I'm so proud for him.

Dollar419's avatarDollar419

Way to go--Congratulations to Mr. Holland; talk about positive motivationBanana  I  usually pLay every two weeks the CA Daily 4, 5 times on the following numbers: 0512, 1009, 1117 and 1126 hoping they will hit 5 times to win big, depending on the jackpot.  I want to tell the same story on LP very soon!!!Dance

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Very nice! Congrats to Mr, Holland on his win.

emerald64's avataremerald64

u know ..i was just talkin about this kind of win last week when i was reading about some ppl hitting in the same manner  here in NY.. its unbelievable when u really think about it ..for someone to really have THAT strong of a HUNCH and put all this money down on it ...WOW !!  HEY anyone on here have any really strong hunches ????  lol  lets us know !    Hyper

KyMystikal's avatarKyMystikal

Quote: Originally posted by emerald64 on Dec 17, 2009

u know ..i was just talkin about this kind of win last week when i was reading about some ppl hitting in the same manner  here in NY.. its unbelievable when u really think about it ..for someone to really have THAT strong of a HUNCH and put all this money down on it ...WOW !!  HEY anyone on here have any really strong hunches ????  lol  lets us know !    Hyper

I've had hunches before where I have played like that. Once I played $40.00 straight on a number. It ended coming out the following day I played it, but I did win. I had $2.00 on it. A wins a win, but it would have been really nice if it came out the day before.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Congrats to Mr Holland!

we;reallwinners's avatarwe;reallwinners

He may need that winng if his superiors find that he probably purchased his tickets while "on the clock'...........I see mail delivery trucks at my local gas station all the time........and the person in the post office uniform is at the lottery machine. I wish he hadn't given his name.

Congratulations to him on his win........makes me remember the widow from Pontiac that played her late Husbands birthday and won 87K on her 4 digit pick............cool stuff!

might be a better bet than a $20 raffle ticket, huh?

luvrh

I need this kinda luck/feeling of course I have a set of Cash 5 numbers I wheeled and one time my numbers hit and i didn't have the money to play...that sucks when it happens.

This is a great story though, makes me look at Pick 4 more...I am currently focused on Cash 5 & Mega Millions when I have the money to play.

YVW Todd :)

Kejana48's avatarKejana48

I hit on that same V.A. drawing "straight" and won $2,700.  Then I put $20 on the Dec 9, 2009 night drawing playing " 8061".  To my amazement, the number hit, but was the wrong combination.  It came out as "6801".  Oh well, I will never give up until I'm standing where he's standing.

dopey7719's avatardopey7719

I've played that number here in SC too many times to count....the closest I came was playing it for a week and for it to come out the next day I didn't play it.  Good for him!!!  I wish I had THAT much faith in a number to play it that many times.  5 times is the most I've played one number for a drawing.

pamelab

I may be wrong and maybe there is a shortcut for Mr. Holland, but the article said he is from Fayetteville NC, that is about at least 3 hour drive to Martinsville.  Maybe if he do make the trip daily he played after work.  I live about 45 minutes from Martinsville, and Fayetteville is a 3hr drive for me.  So hopefully it was after hours from Post Office.  Congrats to Mr.Holland

pumpi76

If he had won: $120K or $130K or $150K if he could find a bank that will give him: 4% if he could find it...he places it in the bank and the: $5,200 to $6,500 which amounts to like: $500 or $480 add $100 to those: $500 and it could be a monthly house Mortgage payment multiplied x 30 years is a: $216,000 home...That way he dont have to worry about paying a house and worries more about been a good father, making sure his kids get into a good college, if his kids are young make sure they do the homework and have them straight in highschools or middle school...Be able to buy his kid: 3 cars when they get older, etc..And not have to stress at work..

I know what ruins it is the taxes...i just thought i say something since this story is interesting..If only you was living in another country where they dont take: 50% in taxes...and i apologize but it is this that makes the USA NOT be the greatest country in the world...for crying out loud tax oil in its place or airlines...Out of those: $100,000 he is going to stay with: $50,000 and if he was to placed it in the bank 50% of the income from the interest will be taken as taxes...Jee got to be cruel....

i dont even feel like telling him congratulations i dont see no: ¨HAPPINESS¨ or what to congratulate about...

Now had he placed that in the bank and nobody taxed him and he be able to make a: $600 a month home mortgage payment x 30 years and get a: $216,000 home...And be able to put his kid in nice colleges and he be able to be a nice father then yes i would had said congratulations to that....

pumpi76

Quote: Originally posted by pumpi76 on Dec 17, 2009

If he had won: $120K or $130K or $150K if he could find a bank that will give him: 4% if he could find it...he places it in the bank and the: $5,200 to $6,500 which amounts to like: $500 or $480 add $100 to those: $500 and it could be a monthly house Mortgage payment multiplied x 30 years is a: $216,000 home...That way he dont have to worry about paying a house and worries more about been a good father, making sure his kids get into a good college, if his kids are young make sure they do the homework and have them straight in highschools or middle school...Be able to buy his kid: 3 cars when they get older, etc..And not have to stress at work..

I know what ruins it is the taxes...i just thought i say something since this story is interesting..If only you was living in another country where they dont take: 50% in taxes...and i apologize but it is this that makes the USA NOT be the greatest country in the world...for crying out loud tax oil in its place or airlines...Out of those: $100,000 he is going to stay with: $50,000 and if he was to placed it in the bank 50% of the income from the interest will be taken as taxes...Jee got to be cruel....

i dont even feel like telling him congratulations i dont see no: ¨HAPPINESS¨ or what to congratulate about...

Now had he placed that in the bank and nobody taxed him and he be able to make a: $600 a month home mortgage payment x 30 years and get a: $216,000 home...And be able to put his kid in nice colleges and he be able to be a nice father then yes i would had said congratulations to that....

and to be technical it could had taken the: $500 a month and get a: 3 year car note for a 2008 Chrysler300 for $20,000....

and still have more money to buy more cars...

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

"...and i apologize but it is this that makes the USA NOT be the greatest country in the world..."

Don't judge us by our current government Pumpi, we're still the greatest country in the world. We've just been lax for so many years letting the government pick our pockets that we've come to expect it and accept it as a way of life. A lot of us are working to change that.

Nino224's avatarNino224

I've always suspected the lottery can "switch off" a number with too many plays to avoid paying out sums like this.

Nino224's avatarNino224

On Tuesday I had the same feeling this guy had with a number of my own. I was at a store filling out a form, and noticed the last person had written the same number I was about to write: birth day and year. The only thing different was the month. I got the chills, and immediately put $5 str8 on it. I was so sure it would fall I spent the rest of the day planning how I'd go collect, and what I'd spend the 25K on.

Needless to say I'm still sucking wind.

Jordans121's avatarJordans121

I don't need the Mega Million just give me that 100,000 !!

four4me

Quote: Originally posted by Nino224 on Dec 18, 2009

I've always suspected the lottery can "switch off" a number with too many plays to avoid paying out sums like this.

A number is sold out when it reaches the threshold limit for a payout that amount could be in the millions so if you wanted to you could put $100 to say $1000 on a number if you so desired.

four4me

Yea he might not be real happy about paying the taxes especially since he's from north Carolina and he played in VA so he will owe tax in both states. However 100,000 before taxes for 20 bucks is about the only investment one could make that would give this amount of return of money.

No other investment for 20 buck scan give this amount of return for the game he played.

He beat the odds congrats to him.

As much as i hate taxes I'll take 50 grand for 20 bucks any day.

luvrh

Quote: Originally posted by four4me on Dec 18, 2009

Yea he might not be real happy about paying the taxes especially since he's from north Carolina and he played in VA so he will owe tax in both states. However 100,000 before taxes for 20 bucks is about the only investment one could make that would give this amount of return of money.

No other investment for 20 buck scan give this amount of return for the game he played.

Better investment is paying $1 and ending up with $12+ Million.

If someone can beat those odds...wow.

It would be a great story to get 1 MM ticket and win $200 Million lol.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Some states have reciprocal agreements. You have to file paperwork in both states, but your total tax bill will be roughly equal to the higher state's rate.

If these two states don't have such an agreement, then yeah he'd have to pay two state income taxes.

I'd still take it, though. Big Grin

lottocalgal's avatarlottocalgal

Quote: Originally posted by Dollar419 on Dec 17, 2009

Way to go--Congratulations to Mr. Holland; talk about positive motivationBanana  I  usually pLay every two weeks the CA Daily 4, 5 times on the following numbers: 0512, 1009, 1117 and 1126 hoping they will hit 5 times to win big, depending on the jackpot.  I want to tell the same story on LP very soon!!!Dance

I'm rooting for YA Dollar419 from one CA to another.  Good Luck on your pick 4!

lottocalgal's avatarlottocalgal

Something for my LP California Brothers and Sisters.  Now I don't pretend to be a psychic or predictor or anything like that  but I notice something in pick 4 that those of you who know how to analyze numbers might want to look at.  CA pick four seems to "prefer"  the doubles pattern with two single numbers attached more than others.  like  3626 or 2969  or 7276  etc.

I don't really play daily 4 but I check it because I had  a lucky dream set that came up once i decided to stop playing it.  I'll never forget it- it was 8335 (same concept)  hitting on September 3 2009.  It was never a regular number but since I dreamed it, i played it for months (started in april) I finally gave up and it hit.  Ever since  then Ive been checking patterns but never playing.

Go check it out.  Maybe some of you can do something with it.  Good luck to ya!

mswiz777's avatarmswiz777

His number did a repeat in VA last night ..... 8135

Nino224's avatarNino224

A number is sold out when it reaches the threshold limit for a payout that amount could be in the millions so if you wanted to you could put $100 to say $1000 on a number if you so desired.

Right, but the threshold limit could also be in the thousands.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by mswiz777 on Dec 18, 2009

His number did a repeat in VA last night ..... 8135

I wonder how many people decided to play that number, hoping it would come out again.

four4me

Quote: Originally posted by Nino224 on Dec 18, 2009

Right, but the threshold limit could also be in the thousands.

most states depending on population size have a set limit. Maryland is a small state and it's limit is 3.5 million for pick 3 and 4 games.

Some states have a parimutuel prize amount meaning they split the take.

dopey7719's avatardopey7719

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Dec 18, 2009

I wonder how many people decided to play that number, hoping it would come out again.

I was one of those people!

Litebets27's avatarLitebets27

Congratulations Mr. Holland.  I wish I could get that feeling every once in awhile and act on it as he did.

The only problem with this sure feeling, when I finally get out to play, other numbers get in the way.

I have to learn to focus...focus...focus on that sure thing.

LckyLary

Some things to consider. I read a post on here recently asking is it a good idea to play one number many times for one drawing....

- Virginia Pick-4 is a fixed payout. In nj it is pari-mutuel. If the total prize pool in nj were $100K for the Pick-4 then playing any more than 20 times would not increase that player's winnings! Even 60 tickets would pay that much. In VA there is no such situation although I have heard of States cutting off numbers that got overplayed. The VA Lottery site does mention this!

- Pick-4 prizes would require tax withheld. Pick-3 doesn't. Many players play several Pick-3 and then I guess they cash them in all different locations? I've never seen this - only stacks of losing tickets with the same #. Most Stores will complain even if you bring 2 tickets that they don't have the cash on hand.

-A STR payout on the 4 should be $2500 for .50, $5000 for $1, so 20x$5000=$100000, so he played 20 of $1 STR bets; when they say $5000 they mean for a $1 bet.

-If you believe the drawings are completely random, then it doesn't make a difference to play $20 on 1 number or 20 or 40 different for .50 or $1 because the only diff. is you win more often but smaller prizes. Under that belief (random) it's not worth playing and should stick to Pick-5 and above.

-If you believe the drawings can be predicted, or you have a really good #, play just that one several times instead of several different. Only one is going to win!

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Always go with the gut feelings.

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Nice. Congratulations Mr. Holland.

buttercake's avatarbuttercake

What a lucky chap he is, congrats on his winnings

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story