Virginia man claims $200M Mega Millions lottery jackpot

Mar 13, 2010, 9:44 am (46 comments)

Mega Millions

HARRISONBURG, Va. — They say good things come to those who wait.

Steve Williams of Shenandoah would probably agree. For nearly five months he waited, holding a Mega Millions ticket that he knew was worth $200 million. Finally, on March 12, 2010, he officially claimed his prize, becoming the second-largest winner in the Virginia Lottery's history.

Williams found out he was a mega-winner when he went to his favorite store, Valley's at 601 4th Street in Shenandoah, and made a pot of coffee. He always makes the morning coffee at the store, even though he doesn't work there.

"It's just to have something to do," he explained. "I'm a person who likes to be doing something."

That morning, the clerk pointed to a banner being hung outside the store, proclaiming that someone had bought a jackpot-winning ticket there for the previous night's Mega Millions drawing. So Mr. Williams pulled out his ticket for the October 16, 2009, drawing and let the clerk check it. Sure enough, the ticket matched all six numbers.

"I didn't need to jump up and down," he said. "She was doing enough for both of us!"

On March 12, he received his check from Virginia Lottery Executive Director Paula Otto in a presentation at James Madison University in Harrisonburg. Rather than take the full jackpot amount over 26 years, Mr. Williams chose to take the cash option of $125 million. The store received a $50,000 retailer bonus from the Virginia Lottery for selling the jackpot-winning ticket.

"This is the second-largest prize ever won by a Virginia Lottery player," said Ms. Otto. "We are delighted, not just for Mr. Williams' incredible prize, but also the millions of dollars the Virginia Lottery raises for K-12 public education in Virginia each year."

The winning numbers for that drawing were 10, 13, 18, 33, and 51, and the Mega Ball number was 43. He used the Easy Pick function, in which the computer randomly selected the numbers on his ticket.

Mr. Williams, who works as a carpenter, said he waited to claim his prize so he could assemble and meet with financial and legal advisors to plan for his future.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

konane's avatarkonane

"Mr. Williams, who works as a carpenter, said he waited to claim his prize so he could assemble and meet with financial and legal advisors to plan for his future."

Wise man, congratulations to him! Party

OhioLottery

If he assembled such a great team, shouldn't he have claimed anonymously? 

And, I don't think I could wait five months to claim, could you guys?  I mean that more from a financial standpoint than not having the patience.  How do you pay this team of so-called experts?  Do they offer services knowing you will get the money?

Starr920

Congratulations to Mr. Williams

It's nice that he took the time to get his affairs

in order before collecting his money

Sounds like a very smart manThumbs Up

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

It really does sound like Mr. Williams has his head on straight! Congrats to him on his big win! Smile

petergrfn

Is it possible to claim anonymously in VA??  Hopefully this will be me soon..  Except NO ONE will ever know it's me...LOL  .....If the $200 million Powerball Jackpot is won and claimed quietly  by a trust and you don't hear from me for a few weeks.....Just assume I'm livng it up in the BAHAMA'S!  Cheers

dingo's avatardingo

He was so calm and waiting. It's $200 million. What a great virtue!

CAL-LottoPlayer

Original Post by OhioLottery:

"If he assembled such a great team, shouldn't he have claimed anonymously?"

I was thinking the same thing.  Every state has different rules.  Some allow anonymous claims, others don't.

"And, I don't think I could wait five months to claim, could you guys?"

I could and would wait 5 months to claim or as long as possible.  There are many business affairs which a major winner must perform before he claims.  There are legal matters, accounting matters, personal matters and, most importantly, security matters.  One of the first things I would get is a passport which requires up to 6 weeks to receive from the State Department.  Wink  Winning $120 Million cash is a life changing experience which requires time to settle into.

"I mean that more from a financial standpoint than not having thepatience.  How do you pay this team of so-called experts?  Do theyoffer services knowing you will get the money?"

Lawyers and accountants will usually allow you to postpone payment, especially when they know they will be paid for certain, they are now working for a multi-millionaire who will provide future business, and for such a high profile client.

Postpone
grave

like i said in another post awhile back talking about jackpots going unclaimed....i thought this was going to be one of them... but congrats to him though..... but i sure wouldnt have waitied 5 months thats too close to the dead line....

Person

Regarding anonymity, this is from Virginia's lottery site:

Can I remain anonymous when I claim my lottery winnings?

No. Winners often ask if they can claim Lottery prizes anonymously. Virginia state law stipulates that a person must claim a prize; winners cannot claim a Virginia Lottery prize with a limited liability company or a trust, for example. In addition, the claimant’s name, hometown and prize are public record and are released to the media (usually for prizes $100,000 and up). Winners also agree to allow the Lottery use of their photo for reasonable publicity. News releases, often with photographs, are displayed on the Lottery`s Web site. For some jackpots and for some Scratcher prizes, game rules require the winner or winners to appear at a news conference held by the Lottery.

Virginia Lottery prizes are provided by the public (people who play the games); it is important to disclose where prizes go. All expenditures made by the Virginia Lottery must be made public. A winner`s private information (telephone number, street address, Social Security number, etc.) is protected by law and will not be released.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Steve Williams, "the Williamstir," making the coffee at the Valley's store!

Congratulations on your after taxes net $76.2M lump-sum option Mega Millions sole winning ticket jackpot prize Steve!!! Whoo Hoo!!!  Hope you greatly enjoy:  looking at it, pampering yourself with it, saving it, and spreading it around the world via spending!!!  And yes, if you want to continue making the coffee do it (but only at home, and only for yourself, now for liability purposes)!!!

It is possible that Steve waited 5 months before claiming so that he could form a C or S-Corporation (possibly with lawyers advising that it exist for over 4 months before claiming, so that no judge could come back later and state that the funds weren't allowed to be "received" by that young of a corporation).  Are their any corporation prep tax lawyers out there that could extrapulate further for we blog members concerning this probably valuable initial 'jackpot claiming' means for several percent tax savings secret vs. personal jackpot claiming [thanks in advance, we can each use the advice when we win our own U.S.A. national lottery jackpot prize]?

I did appreciate what one of our newest members wrote concerning why Steve's "advisers" didn't suggest safety precautions to their valuable(?) client.  Practicle ones, such as: that the lawyer actually attend the mandatory press conference, or advise that Steve if he is legally required to attend do so arriving to the location in a face and hair mask with lawyer to hold onto his arm the majority of the time; since the fullest mask would be difficult to see out of, AND advise Steve to only answer lottery personel and press questions via monotone "yes" or "no" answer (don't say if you have wife, children, anybody's age, if you're employed or unemployed, wealthy or broke, living in a house, apartment, or box).  After all, $76.2M is a lot of take home money, a "good advisory team" should realize that too much security and/or 2 hours of uncomfortable precautions is a misnomer!

US Flag Banana

CAL-LottoPlayer

Quote: Originally posted by petergrfn on Mar 13, 2010

Is it possible to claim anonymously in VA??  Hopefully this will be me soon..  Except NO ONE will ever know it's me...LOL  .....If the $200 million Powerball Jackpot is won and claimed quietly  by a trust and you don't hear from me for a few weeks.....Just assume I'm livng it up in the BAHAMA'S!  Cheers

For anyone who is in California, after a Google search I finally found this information at their calottery website regarding anonymous claims of lotto jackpots:

"Can I be anonymous when I win?

California state law requires that the California State Lottery to release the following information: your name, and the name and location of the retailer where you bought your ticket. You may request no media coverage aside from that."

I was hoping winners could use a blind trust, however this is not possible in California.  Although difficult with your name being published, it would not be impossible to maintain privacy.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

congrats to the man,now that nc can play Mega Millions,we[my group I'm IN]can PLAY IT TOO.Now PB is at 200m,I'm sure hope it's my lottery group that get's the win tonight......we be a happy bunch of folks here in NORTH CAROLINA.....Party

ca-dreamin*'s avatarca-dreamin*

Congrats to Mr. Williams!

There is NO WAY I would wait 5 months and continue to do my job. Could you imagine knowing your gonna have all this money but in the meantime live your life as is?

May he enjoy his winnings in peace!

McCaskey

He seems like a very nice guy, but I just don't see the point of waiting five months to come forward.

A month or two--maximum--should be all you need to get your affairs in order.

I'm guessing his age about mid 50's, maybe 60. What if he had died of a heart attack, stroke or car accident in the five-month span of the winning drawing before he claimed it? The ticket would have gone unclaimed...correct? And his heirs would have nothing to show for a winning ticket...unless I'm missing something in this scenario. Perhaps his wife or other family would know about the winning ticket and be able to cash it--or maybe nobody else would know.

Waiting five months is nuts, but now that he's claimed it, I wish him all the happiness with his wealth.

shortysonicg

Nope. He is unintelligent by doing the media interview and selecting the cash option.   How long he took to claim the prize has nothing to do with what kind of person he is - I can see right through it, it's mere ego.   He might have been able to do amazing things with the money..but only if he took the annuity and refused the media interview. Megamillions is watched by the whole country daily, his privacy is over from now on and he is officially going to be viewed as a "money source," rather than as a person.  What he has done is absolutely the worst way he can handle a large National lottery win and not surprisingly most lottery winners do this because it is so easy and tempting to use money to elevate oneself and satisfy ones need for ego.  The presence of ego in a person always ruins the persons life and cuts them short....history proves this. You can't beat it.  The only way to beat this is to - nullify the ego- and it's already way too late for him to do that.  The money will be gone due to his stupidity. I thought he knew better when I first heard about him winning but it's clear now that he chose to screw it up by doing the public conference.  While it is true that you can't remain anonymous in Virginia you can absolutely refuse the public media conference for the lottery and photos.  You also don't have to take the lump sum - that's just greedy.  He of course thinks he can change the world like most people who win the lottery (none of them have), but in reality, he will only be able to buy "false happiness" with such a large quantity of cash at once.  He will only superficially appeal to others through the fact he has all of this cash at one time.  No one will care about him as a person and he will not be able to see his flaws, and work to correct them, since it is far easier to use money to "buy friends" and "gain temporary popularity" rather than improve oneself for the better. He would have been able to do so much more for the world and his family if he had taken the annuity - way less tax, way more money, no risk, and he could have gotten practically interest free loans.  There are many "multi-millionaires" who are in debt or bankrupt (Michael Jackson, Nicholas Cage, Mike Tyson etc.).  Having lots of cash at once is simply not good.  There is no way to invest it to make billions safely without making a big, stressful mess that most likely will result in the "end" of what this jackpot was supposed to offer him in the first place.  Guaranteed Income is the best thing that can happen to anyone - and that is only granted by the annuity option!  He is also handing these same problems to everyone in his immediate family.   If he took the annuity, he would be guaranteed huge payments for the next 26 years - guaranteed - nothing could go wrong, and no jealous jerks could screw him over whatsoever.  If any of his distant relatives or "Friends" ask for cash, which they already are doing by now, he could have told him he chose not to have all the hard cash at once (if he took the annuity option).  Now he is going to have to fight off the anger daily from upset relatives, friends, and old neighbors.  I played that night and am disappointed that the money I put into the prize pool is going to such a complete moron.  I don't wish him happiness at all. I hope the money he's pocketed goes back to the schools somehow.

jrosina's avatarjrosina

Quote: Originally posted by dingo on Mar 13, 2010

He was so calm and waiting. It's $200 million. What a great virtue!

A man after my own heart, nice and easy does it!   I am very happy for him!  a big WTG  Mr. Williams!!! Hurray!HyperDance

jrosina's avatarjrosina

Quote: Originally posted by shortysonicg on Mar 14, 2010

Nope. He is unintelligent by doing the media interview and selecting the cash option.   How long he took to claim the prize has nothing to do with what kind of person he is - I can see right through it, it's mere ego.   He might have been able to do amazing things with the money..but only if he took the annuity and refused the media interview. Megamillions is watched by the whole country daily, his privacy is over from now on and he is officially going to be viewed as a "money source," rather than as a person.  What he has done is absolutely the worst way he can handle a large National lottery win and not surprisingly most lottery winners do this because it is so easy and tempting to use money to elevate oneself and satisfy ones need for ego.  The presence of ego in a person always ruins the persons life and cuts them short....history proves this. You can't beat it.  The only way to beat this is to - nullify the ego- and it's already way too late for him to do that.  The money will be gone due to his stupidity. I thought he knew better when I first heard about him winning but it's clear now that he chose to screw it up by doing the public conference.  While it is true that you can't remain anonymous in Virginia you can absolutely refuse the public media conference for the lottery and photos.  You also don't have to take the lump sum - that's just greedy.  He of course thinks he can change the world like most people who win the lottery (none of them have), but in reality, he will only be able to buy "false happiness" with such a large quantity of cash at once.  He will only superficially appeal to others through the fact he has all of this cash at one time.  No one will care about him as a person and he will not be able to see his flaws, and work to correct them, since it is far easier to use money to "buy friends" and "gain temporary popularity" rather than improve oneself for the better. He would have been able to do so much more for the world and his family if he had taken the annuity - way less tax, way more money, no risk, and he could have gotten practically interest free loans.  There are many "multi-millionaires" who are in debt or bankrupt (Michael Jackson, Nicholas Cage, Mike Tyson etc.).  Having lots of cash at once is simply not good.  There is no way to invest it to make billions safely without making a big, stressful mess that most likely will result in the "end" of what this jackpot was supposed to offer him in the first place.  Guaranteed Income is the best thing that can happen to anyone - and that is only granted by the annuity option!  He is also handing these same problems to everyone in his immediate family.   If he took the annuity, he would be guaranteed huge payments for the next 26 years - guaranteed - nothing could go wrong, and no jealous jerks could screw him over whatsoever.  If any of his distant relatives or "Friends" ask for cash, which they already are doing by now, he could have told him he chose not to have all the hard cash at once (if he took the annuity option).  Now he is going to have to fight off the anger daily from upset relatives, friends, and old neighbors.  I played that night and am disappointed that the money I put into the prize pool is going to such a complete moron.  I don't wish him happiness at all. I hope the money he's pocketed goes back to the schools somehow.

You might be right in some,  or most of the things you said...but to wish him Ill is so mean!!  I will pray that none of the things you say come upon this man!  He is happy, and most of us are happy for him!  It is his win!  he wants to take it all. He may have a very good reason, we don't know all the details...To wish him bad things is ugly!!!

iGlenn

Your just jealous.  Wishing bad things on him just shows what type of person you are.

McCaskey

Agree. His post had 'jealousy' written all over it. Almost appears he knows the winner personally and has an axe to grind; there's no other reason to personalize it so much.

fja's avatarfja

"I played that night and am disappointed that the money I put into the prize pool is going to such a complete moron.  I don't wish him happiness at all. I hope the money he's pocketed goes back to the schools somehow." - Posted by shortysonicg

Just how much did you play, that would cause your hatred? Must have been a lot to make you register just so you could post this. Or did you think that saying how much good you would do with the jackpot was going to get it for you?  Perhaps you are one of those family members, that already got denied.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Do you honestly believe that annuity money is guaranteed the way our government is going now?

You're the most trusting or gullible person in the world.

When I win I'll be there immediately to get the cash before they default to China or something and put a hold on all cash outlays or sieze all instruments in the "national interest".

You see the way this government keeps its financial house in order and you want them to manage your money for 26 years?

You're nuts.

One more thing. The bad wishes you sent to that man will come back to visit you. That's about the only thing you can take to the bank.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Wow, is all I can say. You are really a piece of work. No Nod All this nastiness over someone you don't know, someone who won a jackpot and did things differently then what you would have done had you won. May you get back what you wished on this man. By the looks of it, you deserve it.

Jack Pot's avatarJack Pot

Unhappy  your first post makes me very sad.....

Perfecttiming2's avatarPerfecttiming2

Quote: Originally posted by CAL-LottoPlayer on Mar 13, 2010

For anyone who is in California, after a Google search I finally found this information at their calottery website regarding anonymous claims of lotto jackpots:

"Can I be anonymous when I win?

California state law requires that the California State Lottery to release the following information: your name, and the name and location of the retailer where you bought your ticket. You may request no media coverage aside from that."

I was hoping winners could use a blind trust, however this is not possible in California.  Although difficult with your name being published, it would not be impossible to maintain privacy.

Actually, you can claim your lotto winnings in CA through an LLC or a Trust......

The largest US lottery jackpot so far, was won by a group in Garden Grove, CA, they claimed it through a trust; if a group can claim it under a trust, so can an individual.

In fact there have been a few individuals who have claimed SLP and MM jackpots in CA under a trust or LLC.

The lottery in CA may not like for you to do that but, they can not stop you.

CAL-LottoPlayer

Quote: Originally posted by Perfecttiming2 on Mar 14, 2010

Actually, you can claim your lotto winnings in CA through an LLC or a Trust......

The largest US lottery jackpot so far, was won by a group in Garden Grove, CA, they claimed it through a trust; if a group can claim it under a trust, so can an individual.

In fact there have been a few individuals who have claimed SLP and MM jackpots in CA under a trust or LLC.

The lottery in CA may not like for you to do that but, they can not stop you.

Perfecttiming2,

I hope you're right.  First I read the calottery website, then I read other posts and now your post.  The only way to be sure is to speak to an expert lawyer on trusts.  Although, the whole issue is moot since the odds of winning the Super Lotto Plus are 41,416,353 against you.  I highly doubt I, or every Californian on this site will ever win.  Confused

CAL-LottoPlayer

shortysonicg,

you sure do have a long post here.  Are you writing a novel or something?  While I think it is admirable you want to write (and type) here, you should know it is difficult to read long posts when they are not broken into coherent paragraphs.  Paragraphs:  use them, they are your friend.  Wink  Also, you need to check your facts before you make your post.  Using a quick Google search, I found this information at their valottery website:

No. Winners often ask if they can claim Lottery prizes anonymously. Virginia state law stipulates that a person must claim a prize; winners cannot claim a Virginia Lottery prize with a limited liability company or a trust, for example. In addition, the claimant's name, hometown and prize are public record and are released to the media (usually for prizes $100,000 and up). Winners also agree to allow the Lottery use of their photo for reasonable publicity. News releases, often with photographs, are displayed on the Lottery's Web site. For some jackpots and for some Scratcher prizes, game rules require the winner or winners to appear at a news conference held by the Lottery.

Virginia Lottery prizes are provided by the public (people who play the games); it is important to disclose where prizes go. All expenditures made by the Virginia Lottery must be made public. A winner's private information (telephone number, street address, Social Security number,etc.) is protected by law and will not be released.

shortysonicg, you mentioned how it was greedy to take all the money in one lump sum payment.  As someone else here has mentioned, with the way the US economy is doing so bad, taking all the money at once is smarter.  It allows the winner to protect his winnings.  In the near future, it might be advantageous to move all his money to a better managed economy, such as Switzerland and convert it to Swiss Franks.

Regarding the above Virginia disclosure rules:  It seems to me Virginia wants to use these rules to promote their own game so they can make more money.  Virginia sure does make it hell for major lotto winners, forcing them to have their picture plastered all over the news media and their webiste.  If I had been their $200 Million winner, I would've made sure everyone understood that and told them so during every press conference they forced me to attend.  Smile  It would've gone something like this:

{In front of news photographers with typical oversized check.  Puts arm around lottery official}

"I just want to thank the state of Virginia and the Virginia lottery commission for making my post winning Mega Millions life a living hell by forcing me to attend these unnecessary photo ops and publicity meetings, now that I'm going to have every freeloader, crook and conman coming at me at my home and wherever I go on the steet."

{Looks at lotto official and shakes hand}

"Thanks for making my new life a living hell."

{waves at crowd of reporters}  See Ya!

OhioLottery

Hmmm.  Wonder if they make non-residents follow these rules if they buy the ticket in the state.

*edited to add that I'm sure they do....after thinking about it.  Makes sense to follow the rules where you play not where you live, I guess.

grave

Quote: Originally posted by CAL-LottoPlayer on Mar 14, 2010

shortysonicg,

you sure do have a long post here.  Are you writing a novel or something?  While I think it is admirable you want to write (and type) here, you should know it is difficult to read long posts when they are not broken into coherent paragraphs.  Paragraphs:  use them, they are your friend.  Wink  Also, you need to check your facts before you make your post.  Using a quick Google search, I found this information at their valottery website:

No. Winners often ask if they can claim Lottery prizes anonymously. Virginia state law stipulates that a person must claim a prize; winners cannot claim a Virginia Lottery prize with a limited liability company or a trust, for example. In addition, the claimant's name, hometown and prize are public record and are released to the media (usually for prizes $100,000 and up). Winners also agree to allow the Lottery use of their photo for reasonable publicity. News releases, often with photographs, are displayed on the Lottery's Web site. For some jackpots and for some Scratcher prizes, game rules require the winner or winners to appear at a news conference held by the Lottery.

Virginia Lottery prizes are provided by the public (people who play the games); it is important to disclose where prizes go. All expenditures made by the Virginia Lottery must be made public. A winner's private information (telephone number, street address, Social Security number,etc.) is protected by law and will not be released.

shortysonicg, you mentioned how it was greedy to take all the money in one lump sum payment.  As someone else here has mentioned, with the way the US economy is doing so bad, taking all the money at once is smarter.  It allows the winner to protect his winnings.  In the near future, it might be advantageous to move all his money to a better managed economy, such as Switzerland and convert it to Swiss Franks.

Regarding the above Virginia disclosure rules:  It seems to me Virginia wants to use these rules to promote their own game so they can make more money.  Virginia sure does make it hell for major lotto winners, forcing them to have their picture plastered all over the news media and their webiste.  If I had been their $200 Million winner, I would've made sure everyone understood that and told them so during every press conference they forced me to attend.  Smile  It would've gone something like this:

{In front of news photographers with typical oversized check.  Puts arm around lottery official}

"I just want to thank the state of Virginia and the Virginia lottery commission for making my post winning Mega Millions life a living hell by forcing me to attend these unnecessary photo ops and publicity meetings, now that I'm going to have every freeloader, crook and conman coming at me at my home and wherever I go on the steet."

{Looks at lotto official and shakes hand}

"Thanks for making my new life a living hell."

{waves at crowd of reporters}  See Ya!

I Agree! AMEN!!!

grave

Quote: Originally posted by OhioLottery on Mar 14, 2010

Hmmm.  Wonder if they make non-residents follow these rules if they buy the ticket in the state.

*edited to add that I'm sure they do....after thinking about it.  Makes sense to follow the rules where you play not where you live, I guess.

yep they sure do..... if you play a Game in VA and win big or a top prize you have already agreed to their rules once you bought the ticket ......

iGlenn

In regards to anonymity, you should know the rules when you buy the ticket.  Don't buy the ticket if your not willing to play (or win) by the rules.

Quote: Originally posted by CAL-LottoPlayer on Mar 14, 2010

Perfecttiming2,

I hope you're right.  First I read the calottery website, then I read other posts and now your post.  The only way to be sure is to speak to an expert lawyer on trusts.  Although, the whole issue is moot since the odds of winning the Super Lotto Plus are 41,416,353 against you.  I highly doubt I, or every Californian on this site will ever win.  Confused

Actually, the only way to REALLY find out IS to win........form the trust......and collect!

and as far as winning...........I KNOW that I am.........it is just a matter of time.

Faith: Sees the invisible.......Feels the intangible......Achieves the impossible!

McCaskey

Anyone familiar with the cost of setting up a trust, just outta curiousity...for when I win, lol??

drhymes74

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 14, 2010

Do you honestly believe that annuity money is guaranteed the way our government is going now?

You're the most trusting or gullible person in the world.

When I win I'll be there immediately to get the cash before they default to China or something and put a hold on all cash outlays or sieze all instruments in the "national interest".

You see the way this government keeps its financial house in order and you want them to manage your money for 26 years?

You're nuts.

One more thing. The bad wishes you sent to that man will come back to visit you. That's about the only thing you can take to the bank.

AMEN rdgrnr!!!!

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by OhioLottery on Mar 13, 2010

If he assembled such a great team, shouldn't he have claimed anonymously? 

And, I don't think I could wait five months to claim, could you guys?  I mean that more from a financial standpoint than not having the patience.  How do you pay this team of so-called experts?  Do they offer services knowing you will get the money?

As noted, claiming anonymously wasn't an option, but you don't need to start with anonymity if you've got half a clue, or good advice. That's one reason I don't think 5 months is necesarily a long time.  Everyone's situation will be different, but everyone who hasn't already worked at being invisible has some sort of public presence that needs to be eliminated as much as possible. It's not hard to disappear if you want to.  I'd start by waiting until I'd discreetly secured a new place to live, and secured cars that were owned by a corporation that wasn't easily traced back to me. I'd also be waiting until any web references had been eliminated, and disappeared from the search engines.  If I had any legal issues, such as a lawsuit against me I might have to get it settled before the plaintiff knew I was about to be rich.  There are all sorts of reasons why it could take a while to get things in order. Alternatively, with a name like Steve Williams he could have moved to a large city, made some simple financial arrangements, and finished the details later on.

As for the financial issues from waiting several months, I can't see that as being a real concern. If a client with that potential to remain a valuable asset walked through my door and asked me to invest some of my time (but no money), and wait several months to be paid I'd be a moron to say no, unless I was already busier than I wanted to be. As a client with that kind of pull, I'd be a moron to hire advisors who can't wait a few months to be paid.

"Could you imagine knowing your gonna have all this money but in the meantime live your life as is?"

How much does life have to suk that you can't continue "as is" for a few months knowing you'll be getting that kind of windfall? If he needed it, it' a safe bet that his advisors were able to get him a loan, and plenty of people could put 25 to 50 grand on their credit cards. I can't imagine paying the interest  under normal circumstances,  but it would be well worth it if I need some time before colecting thatmuch money.

"What if he had died of a heart attack"

Do you suppose that maybe he or his advisors considered that? It's possible that some of the unclaimed prizes result from people dying without ever telling somebody they have a winning ticket, but it's far more likely that the winners just dont know.

"Wonder if they make non-residents follow these rules if they buy the ticket in the state."

If the othe rposts weren't cler about why you use their rules, it's because it's their game. The game is played in many states, but  it's run individualy by each state lottery. You're buying a Virginia lottery ticket from the Virginia lottery, and if you win you'll be claiming the prize from the Virginia lottery while you're in Virginia.

"Nope. He is unintelligent by doing the media interview and selectingthe cash option.   How long he took to claim the prize has nothing todo with what kind of person he is - I can see right through it, it'smere ego.   He might have been able to do amazing things with themoney..but only if he took the annuity and refused the media interview."

Welcome to LP, shorty. I can see that your contributions will be valuable. Like others, my first thought was that you're a comlete moron, but your position on cash vs annuity changed my mind. Your obvious recognition that you're incapable of handling the cash shows that your moronism is only mostly complete. I'd also like to congratulate you on your humility in so carefully offering us your thoughts on somebody you don't even know.

CAL-LottoPlayer

Quote: Originally posted by iGlenn on Mar 14, 2010

In regards to anonymity, you should know the rules when you buy the ticket.  Don't buy the ticket if your not willing to play (or win) by the rules.

Rules are made by man and can be changed. 

Protest, force them to change their oppressive rules!

Freedom!!  Patriot

CAL-LottoPlayer

Original Post by Perfecttiming2:

and as far as winning...........I KNOW that I am.........it is just a matter of time.

LOL.  OK, I believe you.  It's just that you might be an old man before you win, such as the VA lotto winner.  LOL

CAL-LottoPlayer

Quote: Originally posted by McCaskey on Mar 15, 2010

Anyone familiar with the cost of setting up a trust, just outta curiousity...for when I win, lol??

I believe the cost is dependent on the number of hours your lawyer requires.  In the Los Angeles area, the total cost of a trust is about $1,000.  I was told this by my lawyer's paralegal.  At about $333/hour for an attorney, I estimate it requires a total of about 2-3 hours of work for a lawyer to set it up.  This is a very general figure.  You should call your local trust attorney's law office and ask since costs are different nationwide and vary for each lawyer.  Some lawyers will want to make as much as possible off you, while others will be very reasonable.

iGlenn

Quote: Originally posted by CAL-LottoPlayer on Mar 15, 2010

Rules are made by man and can be changed. 

Protest, force them to change their oppressive rules!

Freedom!!  Patriot

Agreed.  But I'm also realistic.

I just simply vote with my money.  I buy my MM/PB tickets in a state that allow winners to remain anonymous.

drhymes74

iGlenn:

Same here with crossing state lines.  Even though I would have to pay alot more in taxes by buying an out of state lottery, it is a small price to pay in the short term for safety and security in the long term for my family and me.

McCaskey

Quote: Originally posted by CAL-LottoPlayer on Mar 15, 2010

I believe the cost is dependent on the number of hours your lawyer requires.  In the Los Angeles area, the total cost of a trust is about $1,000.  I was told this by my lawyer's paralegal.  At about $333/hour for an attorney, I estimate it requires a total of about 2-3 hours of work for a lawyer to set it up.  This is a very general figure.  You should call your local trust attorney's law office and ask since costs are different nationwide and vary for each lawyer.  Some lawyers will want to make as much as possible off you, while others will be very reasonable.

That's about what I thought, although here in the midwest where I'm at the per-hour fee should be less than LA, I would think.

Doesn't really matter where you are, I suppose, it's certainly worth it if you win the Mega, Powerball, or high-end state lottos, even if overcharged.

Hmmm...let's see....who would I choose to administer my trust, or is that the law firm's job, in which case you're billed multiple times, right?

Of course, then there's the fees for your financial guy(s) and tax guy(s), but, again, a problem I'd love to have.Wink

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Mar 15, 2010

As noted, claiming anonymously wasn't an option, but you don't need to start with anonymity if you've got half a clue, or good advice. That's one reason I don't think 5 months is necesarily a long time.  Everyone's situation will be different, but everyone who hasn't already worked at being invisible has some sort of public presence that needs to be eliminated as much as possible. It's not hard to disappear if you want to.  I'd start by waiting until I'd discreetly secured a new place to live, and secured cars that were owned by a corporation that wasn't easily traced back to me. I'd also be waiting until any web references had been eliminated, and disappeared from the search engines.  If I had any legal issues, such as a lawsuit against me I might have to get it settled before the plaintiff knew I was about to be rich.  There are all sorts of reasons why it could take a while to get things in order. Alternatively, with a name like Steve Williams he could have moved to a large city, made some simple financial arrangements, and finished the details later on.

As for the financial issues from waiting several months, I can't see that as being a real concern. If a client with that potential to remain a valuable asset walked through my door and asked me to invest some of my time (but no money), and wait several months to be paid I'd be a moron to say no, unless I was already busier than I wanted to be. As a client with that kind of pull, I'd be a moron to hire advisors who can't wait a few months to be paid.

"Could you imagine knowing your gonna have all this money but in the meantime live your life as is?"

How much does life have to suk that you can't continue "as is" for a few months knowing you'll be getting that kind of windfall? If he needed it, it' a safe bet that his advisors were able to get him a loan, and plenty of people could put 25 to 50 grand on their credit cards. I can't imagine paying the interest  under normal circumstances,  but it would be well worth it if I need some time before colecting thatmuch money.

"What if he had died of a heart attack"

Do you suppose that maybe he or his advisors considered that? It's possible that some of the unclaimed prizes result from people dying without ever telling somebody they have a winning ticket, but it's far more likely that the winners just dont know.

"Wonder if they make non-residents follow these rules if they buy the ticket in the state."

If the othe rposts weren't cler about why you use their rules, it's because it's their game. The game is played in many states, but  it's run individualy by each state lottery. You're buying a Virginia lottery ticket from the Virginia lottery, and if you win you'll be claiming the prize from the Virginia lottery while you're in Virginia.

"Nope. He is unintelligent by doing the media interview and selectingthe cash option.   How long he took to claim the prize has nothing todo with what kind of person he is - I can see right through it, it'smere ego.   He might have been able to do amazing things with themoney..but only if he took the annuity and refused the media interview."

Welcome to LP, shorty. I can see that your contributions will be valuable. Like others, my first thought was that you're a comlete moron, but your position on cash vs annuity changed my mind. Your obvious recognition that you're incapable of handling the cash shows that your moronism is only mostly complete. I'd also like to congratulate you on your humility in so carefully offering us your thoughts on somebody you don't even know.

Original Post by KY Floyd:

"Could you imagine knowing you're gonna have all this money but in the meantime live your life as is?

How much does life have to suk that you can't continue "as is" for a few months knowing you'll be getting that kind of windfall?

(I love the quote KY Floyd!.....Thanks for sharing!!!)

Also,

"If he needed it, it's a safe bet that his advisors were able to get him a loan..."

KY Floyd:

There are a few lotto winners who have actually done that..........

One woman who won in Ohio explained that when her bank took too long in preparing the transfering of the funds, she cancelled it, went to another bank and (with her advisors in tow) presented her documents to that bank. 

They forwarded her $50K (she said that she wanted the advance because she and her husband just wanted to get out of the neighborhood...) 

I would not be surprised if that bank ended up getting her business....windfall and all....

THRUST's avatarTHRUST

On one hand it would be totally sweet to win this kind of money...on the other...it would be a head-ache.

*Reaches for the Tylenol* 

Big Grin

dk1421's avatardk1421

Quote: Originally posted by Person on Mar 13, 2010

Regarding anonymity, this is from Virginia's lottery site:

No. Winners often ask if they can claim Lottery prizes anonymously. Virginia state law stipulates that a person must claim a prize; winners cannot claim a Virginia Lottery prize with a limited liability company or a trust, for example. In addition, the claimant’s name, hometown and prize are public record and are released to the media (usually for prizes $100,000 and up). Winners also agree to allow the Lottery use of their photo for reasonable publicity. News releases, often with photographs, are displayed on the Lottery`s Web site. For some jackpots and for some Scratcher prizes, game rules require the winner or winners to appear at a news conference held by the Lottery.

Virginia Lottery prizes are provided by the public (people who play the games); it is important to disclose where prizes go. All expenditures made by the Virginia Lottery must be made public. A winner`s private information (telephone number, street address, Social Security number, etc.) is protected by law and will not be released.

This is why I'm happy NC has MM now. I always played driving through VA, but got nervous when I discovered you couldn't be anonymous when you claimed it.

Hmmm....maybe that's why I didn't win....YET!

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Sorry if it makes you nervous, but you can't be anonymous in NC, either.

iGlenn

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Mar 20, 2010

Sorry if it makes you nervous, but you can't be anonymous in NC, either.

Posted from the NC lottery FAQ:
Q: If I should win a large top prize, do I have the option of remaining anonymous with regard to the media and the public?: The NCEL will consider a winner’s name, city/county, and the prize amount a matter of public record, unless the winner produces a valid protective order or Address Confidentiality Program authorization card.
It is possible to remain anonymous.  You just have to qualify the the Address Confidentiality Program authorization card.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story