Indiana man says store cost him $11.5M lottery jackpot

Apr 27, 2010, 7:36 am (76 comments)

Indiana Lottery

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — A 70-year-old retired chemist is suing a convenience store chain for more than $11.5 million, claiming its employees cheated him out of a large jackpot by refusing to sell him a lottery ticket.

Charles Andrews says in his lawsuit that he picked the winning numbers for the February 2008 Hoosier Lotto drawing, but that a clerk at a Speedway store in Indianapolis refused to sell him a ticket with a few minutes left before the 10:40 p.m. official sales cutoff.

Andrews, of Indianapolis, says the clerk told him the lottery terminal wasn't working but later printed out a list of winning numbers when he asked, proving the machine was operating. The clerk then told him the store manager didn't like to sell lottery tickets after 10 p.m. He said other store employees also wouldn't sell him a ticket.

"They had an obligation to issue him a ticket because he was there before 10:40," said Bob Burkett, one of Andrews' attorneys.

Andrews, who is disabled, says there wasn't enough time to get to another store, so he signed his play slip and left it with the store so he would have proof in case they turned out to be the winning numbers.

"I knew if I walked out the door with the pay slip and I won any money at all with those numbers I couldn't prove that was the pay slip I left with the employees," he said.

Andrews' attorneys argue in court briefs that the store was legally obligated to sell him a ticket up until the cutoff time. The suit, filed in Marion County court in fall 2009 and transferred to federal court at Speedway's request, accuses the company of breach of contract and negligence, among other things, and seeks the amount of the prize — $11.5 million — and unspecified punitive damages.

Speedway SuperAmerica LLC denies in court filings that it had any duty to sell Andrews a lottery ticket. It also denies Andrews' version of events. Andrews' attorneys say they are seeking copies of store security video to confirm his story.

Attorneys for Speedway didn't immediately return phone calls seeking comment Monday.

A spokeswoman for the Hoosier Lottery said retailers can set their own hours for selling and redeeming lottery tickets as long as they cut off sales by 10:40 p.m.

"It's up to the individual retail location," Lucia Anderson said.

Josh Brown, another of Andrews' lawyers, said the law isn't explicit.

"There is no statute addressing the retail hours and whether they can set it or not set it," he said.

Brown noted that the contract between the lottery agency and retailers requires stores to display game and date lists, and said those likely would include hours of play.

"It's only fair to the citizens who spend their hard-earned money on the lottery that they know when the lottery is open," he said.

Andrews says he plays the lottery regularly and often plays the numbers that include his birthday and the years of his favorite antique car makes.

"That's my only hope to make more money than what my Social Security pays me," he said.

AP

Comments

dr65's avatardr65

The ticket purchased at the retailer for the drawing is the proof of winning..not the playslip. In PA the wording on the back of the playslip says:

The ticket is the only valid proof of your play, and the only valid receipt for claiming a prize.

The playslip for what a person was going to play, doesn't cut it.

My gosh, if that's the case, let me go dig up my old playslips. There's got to be a few winners there.

Crazy

I think they might wind up giving him a free play for a future drawing but not award him the jackpot. Imagine the mess that would create.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

New week new lottery horror story..It will never stop..

dr65's avatardr65

Hi tiggs! Horror story is right.

Let's see what happens, maybe we have some playslips laying around.....Evil Smile lol

Big Smile

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Apr 27, 2010

Hi tiggs! Horror story is right.

Let's see what happens, maybe we have some playslips laying around.....Evil Smile lol

Big Smile

One of the stores I buy from when the owner is on shuts his machine off at 10:30 and when the workers are on you can buy until they close..Problem would be solved if you buy your tickets early like I do but I'm smart..:)..Oh wait not to smart I play the lottery..

coolmoney

I bet he won't wait until the last minute next time to play his numbers, you can't sue the store because you didn't get to the machine early enough to put your numbers in.  Many times the machine is down, then he should have just gone to another store.  For a chemist, he doesn't have much common sense!!!!

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Even if he did Play his Numbers: Who's to say that those Numbers would have been Drawn!

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/212042

joker17

I wonder if that was the guy here on the LP a few years ago...Losingjeff....lol

joker17

Quote: Originally posted by Raven62 on Apr 27, 2010

Even if he did Play his Numbers: Who's to say that those Numbers would have been Drawn!

ha ha

konane's avatarkonane

Have encountered machine not working, entire lottery system down in a certain area, store stops selling tickets at a certain hour.

Solution .... arrive early enough to buy tickets .... go to another store ...... or plan on playing next draw.   Common sense solutions in the real world.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I always go to my favorite store that doesn't lie to me  about when you can or can't buy tickets. I know that I can purchase tickets when they are open.

I am hoping for a major change in my "luck" tonite!

Sun Smiley

Good luck to all!

I am hoping to be the first Mega Millions Jackpot Winner in PA!

Cool

YURAN's avatarYURAN

In Ukraine most retailers end they work BEFORE that lottery terminal is closing sales.  Usually lottery computer work up to 9 pm. Actually sales end between 7 and 8 pm... I am usually buy tickets at dinner White Bounce

joker17

Quote: Originally posted by YURAN on Apr 27, 2010

In Ukraine most retailers end they work BEFORE that lottery terminal is closing sales.  Usually lottery computer work up to 9 pm. Actually sales end between 7 and 8 pm... I am usually buy tickets at dinner White Bounce

I know what you mean. Here in Afghanistan, the caves close at 6 pm. I think that it's not fair to people who are just getting off work. I sometimes have to ask to leave work early and go over 3 mountains and avoid many land mines just to rush to the cave to buy my tickets.

There is no public transportation here, and my camel is in the shop. Oh well.....

YURAN's avatarYURAN

Quote: Originally posted by joker17 on Apr 27, 2010

I know what you mean. Here in Afghanistan, the caves close at 6 pm. I think that it's not fair to people who are just getting off work. I sometimes have to ask to leave work early and go over 3 mountains and avoid many land mines just to rush to the cave to buy my tickets.

There is no public transportation here, and my camel is in the shop. Oh well.....

BUT!!!! Interesting way to buy tickets for people like that old man that try to "win" jackpot from the store :)

Look at Ukrainian National Lottery Official Website. There are many way to buy lottery tickets. They have unlike traditional sales through lottery terminals also other methods. Playing lottery via Self-Service Terminals (SST), Make bets with cell phone via SMS, also in Life :) Shops, that have they point of sales elsewhere in any city and work up to 10 pm.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

"That's my only hope to make more money than what my Social Security pays me," he said.

Sounds like this guy started planning his retirement a little late and foolishly if he was depending on winning a lottery jackpot.

Starr920

A spokeswoman for the Hoosier Lottery said retailers can set their own hours for selling and redeeming lottery tickets as long as they cut off sales by 10:40 p.m.

"There is no statute addressing the retail hours and whether they can set it or not set it," he said.

Brown noted that the contract between the lottery agency and retailers requires stores to display game and date lists, and said those likely would include hours of play.

"It's only fair to the citizens who spend their hard-earned money on the lottery that they know when the lottery is open," he said.

IMO, this lawsuit could have been avoided if the store had put up a sign to let the public know its cutoff time was 10:00 p.m.

Doesn't matter what time he came in as long as it was before 10:40 p.m. - they should have played his numbers for him!

Instead the employees lied and said the machine was broke - what kind of crap is that?

I hope he gets a nice little settlement outta Speedwell

pumpi76

i am in favor of the chemists...To me a chemists is like a private citizen with priviledges...Is a chemist who holds the key whether they find the MAGICAL OIL that will replace fuel when petroleum finishes on this Earth...

Petroleum finishes and say GOOD BYE TO THIS PLANET...

four4me

No ticket no laundry Bang Head

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Physical threats can work wonders with intransigent convenient store clerks.

Especially if you're big and ugly and look a little unbalanced.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Thank you Star for getting the gist of the lawsuit.  Not sure how some posters misinterpreted it, but glad you got it!

Hope some clarification can be given by the courts to resolve this litigation. Since its directed at the store who denied him, his chances are better .....

Hindsight is 20/20 , so its interesting to read some of the ideas posed.

benmas's avatarbenmas

they are claiming that the store had an obligation to sell him a ticket...and they suing for breach of contract...

i dont beleive they have an obligation....they are providing a service but they are not under an obligation...i dont believe there is a contract or agreement or anything like that....i think the situation is unfortunate but from a legal standpoint i dont see how he can claim for 11.5 million

now i do think that it seems kinda of unneccesary for the store to stop selling tickets since the store is not closed yet and still conducting other business...but they are not obliged to do so...it is their choice

ca-dreamin*'s avatarca-dreamin*

Quote: Originally posted by Starr920 on Apr 27, 2010

IMO, this lawsuit could have been avoided if the store had put up a sign to let the public know its cutoff time was 10:00 p.m.

Doesn't matter what time he came in as long as it was before 10:40 p.m. - they should have played his numbers for him!

Instead the employees lied and said the machine was broke - what kind of crap is that?

I hope he gets a nice little settlement outta Speedwell

I used to deliver the mail to a little mom-pop type store that had its share of everyday regular lottery players. I remember once a guy coming into the store to buy tickets and the man behind the counter (not sure if he owned the store or not) told the guy the lottery machine was broke. Of course the guy left.  The machine wasn't broke....the man just didn't want to have to deal with the customer.

Rowen's avatarRowen

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Apr 27, 2010

Sounds like this guy started planning his retirement a little late and foolishly if he was depending on winning a lottery jackpot.

it did say he was disabled so maybe he just had some bad luck and some things may have been of his control. I really feel sorry for the guy but don't think he has a case. He is a regular player so he know the score. can't plead ignorance on this. he should have known better than to wait until last minute. Possession is the law and his lawyers are just gonna milk him dry because state can wait him out. Really tragic case

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

I understand why Charles Andrews is upset, he knows what #s he would have played, he wrote them down on the playslip, and all 6 would have matched (HIS personal lightening would probably have struck)!  That HURTS greatly, and he is probably upset with himself that he waited too long for a person with a disability to get to a backup lottery ticket retailer in case of problems with the first!  I've had the same thing happen to me.  Unfortunately, the store that he went to support, via purchasing an Indiana Hoosier Lotto lottery ticket BEFORE the apx. 35 minutes the Hoosier Lottery Website's published cut-off time, isn't being fair.  As each state lottery indicates, their lottery terminal partner outlets may CHOOSE when their cut-off time is.  That time may indeed be WAY BEFORE the state's website published end-times.  Sometimes more than an hour before!  I've been to gas stations that have done this -- clerk told me that the terminal is turned off after 9:00 P.M. and I simply tell them it's too early and to turn the terminal back on to print me a ticket -- the clerk complied, but I was prepared for the clerk to refuse and drive to another retailer or a grocery store's lottery vending machine!

Yet, lottery ticket retailers KNOW that last minute purchases are common, and should save their lottery terminal clerk's stress levels by simply making a HUGE poster that shows the time periods that the ticket retailer is willing to sell EACH separate lottery game's tickets.  Lottery ticket retailers should think of this as a simple way to show customer respect.  Honesty, full disclosure is good.  This way, if the retailer has odd lottery ticket close hours from those published on the state's lottery website, a player can make note of it and give a retailer that has more convenient to their schedule sale hours their frequent business (although last minute ticket buyers should still ALWAYS be prepared for technical difficulties to occur, where in worse case scenario the willing clerk may not be able to give them a ticket from a crashed, turned off, out-of-ink, broken, etc. lottery terminal machine). 

When someone is disabled, in a way that would effect traveling quickly to a back-up lottery retailer with extended hours, they should not plan to purchase tickets at a time where an emergency lottery terminal machine crash could cause them to fall or get confused while rushing to purchase ticket at their backup retailer!

Rowen's avatarRowen

Quote: Originally posted by ca-dreamin* on Apr 27, 2010

I used to deliver the mail to a little mom-pop type store that had its share of everyday regular lottery players. I remember once a guy coming into the store to buy tickets and the man behind the counter (not sure if he owned the store or not) told the guy the lottery machine was broke. Of course the guy left.  The machine wasn't broke....the man just didn't want to have to deal with the customer.

I know what you mean. The place I buy my tickets from is same way (small family run store) and they don't like getting lottery customers because it's low return for them and hold up the line for other customers with more lucrarive purchases. They don't post winnning scratcher tickets or much advertisement. They were honest about it but was cool with me because i always use playslips. They would hate having someone reading off their numbers one by one. Who want to wait in line for that.

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Apr 27, 2010

New week new lottery horror story..It will never stop..

hey tiggs it's only Tuesday if we start now we can dream up next weeks horror story : ) LOL should it be postal related?

Quote: Originally posted by Rowen on Apr 27, 2010

I know what you mean. The place I buy my tickets from is same way (small family run store) and they don't like getting lottery customers because it's low return for them and hold up the line for other customers with more lucrarive purchases. They don't post winnning scratcher tickets or much advertisement. They were honest about it but was cool with me because i always use playslips. They would hate having someone reading off their numbers one by one. Who want to wait in line for that.

LOL yep the majority of players would recite numbers off the top of their head and then keep asking how much is that. Then they would keep going or throw in some scratchers.  NEVER a thirty second transaction.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I have found a Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe for 16% off of MSRP! That is .525% of Net Wealth after 35% Taxes ( no state tax in PA )!

Come on Mega Millions!

(I can't wait until the experts tell me that I would be bankrutpt if I won)

I also have a financial plan that is only missing money - lost my job and became disabled after I earned a 4.0 at ITT Tech ..... waiting for a change of fortune ..... but I am already "rich", I have a great family, just could use some extra money!

Ready to give the PA Lottery my name and town and no MOE!

konane's avatarkonane

Quote: Originally posted by benmas on Apr 27, 2010

they are claiming that the store had an obligation to sell him a ticket...and they suing for breach of contract...

i dont beleive they have an obligation....they are providing a service but they are not under an obligation...i dont believe there is a contract or agreement or anything like that....i think the situation is unfortunate but from a legal standpoint i dont see how he can claim for 11.5 million

now i do think that it seems kinda of unneccesary for the store to stop selling tickets since the store is not closed yet and still conducting other business...but they are not obliged to do so...it is their choice

I agree.  Store franchise apparently has deep pockets and they want to reach in them. 

May have been store policy to not sell tickets X-amount of minutes before cutoff since computers sometimes get bogged down and tickets get default printed for the next draw which makes some customers angry.  Have seen that happen.

Want to buy tickets for a particular draw then show up in plenty of time to purchase them.

DelmarvaChick's avatarDelmarvaChick

If he picked his own tickets/numbers, why did he wait so late to buy them? He could have bought them hours/days before and still had pleanty of time and STILL had the same numbers. What the hizzle!?!

barbos's avatarbarbos

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Apr 27, 2010

I have found a Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe for 16% off of MSRP! That is .525% of Net Wealth after 35% Taxes ( no state tax in PA )!

Come on Mega Millions!

(I can't wait until the experts tell me that I would be bankrutpt if I won)

I also have a financial plan that is only missing money - lost my job and became disabled after I earned a 4.0 at ITT Tech ..... waiting for a change of fortune ..... but I am already "rich", I have a great family, just could use some extra money!

Ready to give the PA Lottery my name and town and no MOE!

The first paragraph is written by a prospective bankrupt.  Good luck anyway.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by ca-dreamin* on Apr 27, 2010

hey tiggs it's only Tuesday if we start now we can dream up next weeks horror story : ) LOL should it be postal related?

Only Postal story tiggs can think of for next week is "RIDGE RUNNER SAYS SOMETING NICE ABOUT POSTAL CARRIERS"..

jarasan's avatarjarasan

WOW! You're sounding quite like one them there bigoted racists,  funnin' on someone from another country.

jarasan's avatarjarasan

Quote: Originally posted by YURAN on Apr 27, 2010

YURAN welcome to the Lottery Post!  Most of us here appreciate and respect our international friends!  Thank you for sharing,  and we would like to know more.   In America there are lottery terminals everywhere,  someone who complains they were denied to win because they couldn't submit their numbers are filing what we call a "frivolous law suit",  a waste of the court's time.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by barbos on Apr 27, 2010

The first paragraph is written by a prospective bankrupt.  Good luck anyway.

You gotta explain why a single purchase of .525% of Net Wealth dooms me to be bankrupt?!?!?!?!?  That is like me buying a new car for $15.75, given my current cash on hand!

Some people are incapable of comprehending the economy of scale!

If I was so inclined, I could probably flip the car for a profit on the West Coast!

I guess that I would have to live in the same run down house and drive a used car so that I wouldn't go bankrupt. My guess this person either doesn't understand finance or is someone that likes to mind other peoples' business.

ScubaGolfJim

Amazed at the number of people that have never procrastinated or had other events get in the way of their doing something. I have missed lottery draws a few times myself by waiting too late.  I'd remember to buy early for a while afterwards, but I still sometimes remember  I haven't gotten that ticket yet late on a drawing night.

Some even failed to comprehend that the gentlemean had been lied to about the machine being down. A respectable business will post their lottery operating hours if they do not match the "official" lottery hours. The only limits I know of in my area are only restricting payouts to specific times. Everyone sells tickets to the last minute available to them. They do not discriminate against individuals because "they didn't want to deal with the customer." Now THAT IS a lawsuit in waiting. Yes you may deny service, but you DO have to have a legitimate reason. Don't want to deal with certain types of customers? Close your store.

Guy has a leg to stand on. Wobbly as his real ones probably, but there is a legitimate issue to be resolved IMHO.

LANTERN's avatarLANTERN

Andrew and his lawyers are wrong.

barbos's avatarbarbos

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Apr 27, 2010

You gotta explain why a single purchase of .525% of Net Wealth dooms me to be bankrupt?!?!?!?!?  That is like me buying a new car for $15.75, given my current cash on hand!

Some people are incapable of comprehending the economy of scale!

If I was so inclined, I could probably flip the car for a profit on the West Coast!

I guess that I would have to live in the same run down house and drive a used car so that I wouldn't go bankrupt. My guess this person either doesn't understand finance or is someone that likes to mind other peoples' business.

Some people (lottery winners and lottery losers alike) are incapable of comprehending the economy of wealth - and that's their problem. No, single purchase of .525% doesn't lead to bankruptcy, it is just first step. A nice spending spree of about 200 times that amount will, but it takes time - I read somewhere, 5 years on the average. It looks like there is one common thing about almost all winners - their belief such a pile of money will never give out.  Purchasing Bentley engages into billionaire club - and the misery of any lottery jackpot so far is not high enough to join it.

Dollar419's avatarDollar419

I assumed it was his same set of numbers he's played for years and years and of course the very day he did not play them is the very day they hit-LOTTERY KARMA..I guess he can try to sue for that--however it is frustrating to lose out because they refused to let him by his daily ticket.   Let this be an good lesson; try to buy your lottery tickets in advance if you cannot make it in person that way you are in control of your own lottery "futureWink".

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

The question is if that same store had sold the old man tickets on previous occassions at a time later than that fateful day. If it had then the old man has a case. Proving that his numbers were actually the winning numbers is a bit risky. Can he prove it in court?

grave

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 27, 2010

Physical threats can work wonders with intransigent convenient store clerks.

Especially if you're big and ugly and look a little unbalanced.

lol you got that right !!!

LotteryJunkiE99's avatarLotteryJunkiE99

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Apr 28, 2010

The question is if that same store had sold the old man tickets on previous occassions at a time later than that fateful day. If it had then the old man has a case. Proving that his numbers were actually the winning numbers is a bit risky. Can he prove it in court?

I think reviewing the video tape if there is any could be the clue, as well as the playslip that was signed by him.   I'm a bit confused though, the article is confusing in that it doesn't state whether his playslip acutally HAD the winning numbers circled in, or just his Andrew's thoughts that those numbers would have been hit had be been given an actual ticket.         Argue

In any case, I think it should be mandatory to post terminal hours, that way people can take their business elsewhere if they need to.  I think some stores don't like to sell tickets later because of security reasons, which is fine.   But refusing to sell a customer a ticket, let alone lying about a terminal being broken when it's not, is just outrageous.   I would never give them another dime of business.   I would say if any of you shop at rude or hassle-abundant stores to speak with your pocketbooks and let them know about it and never show up there again, but let a manager know about it politely in a smug way if possible.  If they have any brains, they'll try to keep their customer base.

Also, I am really sorry for all of you who might live in rural areas, and are stuck with a limited number of places to go.  In the cities you have more options, but even then its more crowded and so yeah you have to make time to make your purchases.  But like one poster said on here, that's just too rude to refuse a purchase, "just because."  If I had a store and an employee of mine did that, they wouldn't have time to pack their things fast enough, they find they're stuck neatly on the curb, because that's what THEY get paid to do, is to cash people out, in a friendly way if possible.   Anyhow,  I don't think stores should be allowed to set their own hours, because you just never know how available other options are available to other customers.    I hope some store owners are reading this, because people are getting fed up everywhere with unacceptable customer service standards.   Shifty

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Apr 27, 2010

Only Postal story tiggs can think of for next week is "RIDGE RUNNER SAYS SOMETING NICE ABOUT POSTAL CARRIERS"..

Funny you should mention that tigger.

I sent my sister in law in Florida a $50 gift card in her birthday card last week and I got news yesterday that it actually made it there unstolen!

I'm thinking about calling Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

joker831's avatarjoker831

It makes you wonder if the lottery commissions and certain ticket outlets are in this together.  Otherwise, just give the customer the <snip> ticket.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

CARBOB

Red Baron, is that your "shopwith camel"??

buttercake's avatarbuttercake

I guess this only happens in the USA whereby a customer cansue a store for not selling them a lottery ticket which had the winning numberson, as obviously he picked his own numbers, it would never happen here in theUK, all retailers selling tickets are obligated to sell until the 7:29:59sec pmcut off point for Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays draws, the only time theycan’t sell or refuse to sell is when the machine is out of order but therewould be a sign displayed saying this so customers know, even when buyingonline if the system is down a message is displayed to people informing them ofthis, and then its tuff luck if they had managed to buy a ticket or not beforethe cut off time, but no one in their right mind would then think of suing thenational lottery or a retailer because they were unable to purchase a ticketbefore the cut off time. It’s very unfortunate for this guy but he is living ina dream world if he thinks he is going to get a compensation pay out of $11.5m,his desire for this money would never manifest, but he can always dream, next timehe should think of buy his ticket early, this is a lesson that he should keepwith him as you do learn from your mistakes, so let’s hope he has learnt.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by buttercake on Apr 28, 2010

I guess this only happens in the USA whereby a customer cansue a store for not selling them a lottery ticket which had the winning numberson, as obviously he picked his own numbers, it would never happen here in theUK, all retailers selling tickets are obligated to sell until the 7:29:59sec pmcut off point for Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays draws, the only time theycan’t sell or refuse to sell is when the machine is out of order but therewould be a sign displayed saying this so customers know, even when buyingonline if the system is down a message is displayed to people informing them ofthis, and then its tuff luck if they had managed to buy a ticket or not beforethe cut off time, but no one in their right mind would then think of suing thenational lottery or a retailer because they were unable to purchase a ticketbefore the cut off time. It’s very unfortunate for this guy but he is living ina dream world if he thinks he is going to get a compensation pay out of $11.5m,his desire for this money would never manifest, but he can always dream, next timehe should think of buy his ticket early, this is a lesson that he should keepwith him as you do learn from your mistakes, so let’s hope he has learnt.

That's the way it should be here too. If you want to sell tickets you sell til the terminal stops. You can't have all these convenient store weasels making up their own hours for the lottery. They should at least take the lottery terminal away from these idiots who wouldn't sell him his ticket.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Some people (lottery winners and lottery losers alike) are incapable of comprehending the economy of wealth - and that's their problem. No, single purchase of .525% doesn't lead to bankruptcy, it is just first step. A nice spending spree of about 200 times that amount will, but it takes time - I read somewhere, 5 years on the average. It looks like there is one common thing about almost all winners - their belief such a pile of money will never give out.  Purchasing Bentley engages into billionaire club - and the misery of any lottery jackpot so far is not high enough to join it.

I am not sure that I implied a spending spree of "200 times that amount". I did articulate that I have a financial plan that I would implement if I were fortunate enough to win. My late Father left a very nice estate for the modest income that he earned, and I have learned from his example.

I will use my analytical ability and implement my own financial strategy if I would ever win a Jackpot!

...... after all, money spent on tangeble assests is money well spent ....

Best wishes to all ..... Mega Millions keeps growing! Sun Smiley

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 28, 2010

Funny you should mention that tigger.

I sent my sister in law in Florida a $50 gift card in her birthday card last week and I got news yesterday that it actually made it there unstolen!

I'm thinking about calling Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

ridge tiggs thought about you the other day..We was watching Highway To Heaven and one woman was looking in her mailbox and saw her neighbor and told her "Here's a letter of your's was in my mailbox the mailman must have put in my box by mistake"..Maybe she was talking to the McNutts??...

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Given the logic of this post .... all winners must never spend any of their winnings ..... it will lead to bankruptcy if you spend it.

An educated person would realize that you don't have to be a billionaire to purchase a Bentley or Rolls .... given the fact that I would have diverse investments .... I would be far from descending into bankruptcy!

Jack Wittaker drove a pickup truck ..... and carried $500,000 around in a briefcase! He is just plain nuts!

I usually spend no more than $4 a week on the lottery .... I am quite frugal most of the time, but I have wanted to own a Rolls or Bentley since I was about 8 years old. I don't drink or party, but it would be nice to have a little fun!

I am going to purchase my ticket at the store that sells tickets until closing time, like I always do!

Best wishes to all, and I hope that one person wins Mega Millions on Friday!

US Flag

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Apr 28, 2010

ridge tiggs thought about you the other day..We was watching Highway To Heaven and one woman was looking in her mailbox and saw her neighbor and told her "Here's a letter of your's was in my mailbox the mailman must have put in my box by mistake"..Maybe she was talking to the McNutts??...

Nah, the McNutt's wouldn't care cuz cain't none of 'em read no how. Ain't no tellin' what they do with all my mail they get.

I believe they're originally from Kentucky.

joker17

Quote: Originally posted by jarasan on Apr 27, 2010

WOW! You're sounding quite like one them there bigoted racists,  funnin' on someone from another country.

Give me a break !     (rolling eyes)

LottoLin

Really he doesn't want to rely on his Social Security checks, so he isn't working. So like why not go earlier and buy your ticket not at the last second. Now hes worried about money but he's got money to pay for an attorney to fight this thing in court that he'll get the 11.5 million dollars. You know what they say hold one hand out in front of you and one hand behind you and see which one is going to fill up first. In his case I think it will be the one behind him. 

Good Luck to all Players in your choice of Games.

LottoLin

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Had the Convenience Store Clerk sold CA his Ticket(s) and had the Lottery Drawn his Numbers: The Convenience Store Owner would now be enjoying the Commission for Selling the Winning Ticket.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by LottoLin on Apr 28, 2010

Really he doesn't want to rely on his Social Security checks, so he isn't working. So like why not go earlier and buy your ticket not at the last second. Now hes worried about money but he's got money to pay for an attorney to fight this thing in court that he'll get the 11.5 million dollars. You know what they say hold one hand out in front of you and one hand behind you and see which one is going to fill up first. In his case I think it will be the one behind him. 

Good Luck to all Players in your choice of Games.

LottoLin

His lawyer is probably working on a contingency agreement.  A third of $11.5 would make a nice pay day for him plus he would attract more clients who might want to sue retailers if they fail to win a lottery jackpot.

Some years ago, a player sued a retailer and the Ohio lottery when he bought 20 Buckeye5 tickets with the same combination on each one and matched 5 which normally paid $100K each but there was a payout cap of $1M per drawing.  Since there was one other winner he ended up getting 20/21 of the $1M pay out and not the $2M he thought he was entitled  and sued because the retailer didn't made him aware of the pay out cap which was printed on the back of the play slips.  He lost, the court ruled players are responsible for knowing the rules and checking their tickets before leaving the retailer to make sure they are printed correctly.  All the local retailers now have a sign near their terminals that remind players of those rules.

michimac

yeah ha..thats like suing Mc Donalds because the hot coffee burned you(!).

and leaving the payslip WITH the store for later proof is like...."what payslip?...."we"  don't have it ? ! "

Whats a 70 y/o need with 11 mil anyways?

But i actually do see his complaint cause I have also been denied a ticket sale at a certain grocery store who shuts their machine off at 9:pm because they don't wanna deal with it after 9.

All Lottery retailers should be forced to sell the tickets up to the official cut-off time.

Heres something I always wondered about: Why does the lottery machine need to be online and communicating with the mothership machine in order to simply print out your 6 numbers  ???  I mean is it telling the main computer to not pick them at the time of the drawing later????

You guys notice how the drawing result numbers's are so weird, like all high ones, when the jackpot gets real high?? as if they figure no one will pick #'s that crazy!  ....Crazy

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Nah, the McNutt's wouldn't care cuz cain't none of 'em read no how. Ain't no tellin' what they do with all my mail they get.

I believe they're originally from Kentucky.

NEATOOOO!! ridge..That leaves tiggs out he was born in a small burg Highland Park just outside of Deeeeetroit when you could walk the streets of Deeeetorit with no fear about a 100 years ago..You can read,right?..

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

"Heres something I always wondered about: Why does the lottery machineneed to be online and communicating with the mothership machine inorder to simply print out your 6 numbers  ?"

Because the 6 numbers printed on the ticket aren't what determines whether or not it's a winning ticket.  That's determined by an entry that the "mothership machine" makes in the database, identifying the ticket by its own unique identity, including the time and place of purchase in addition to the 6 numbers.

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

If the tape can show them selling another lottery ticket after he left..11.4 million will be  a small sum.  He can claim that they discriminated against him because he is disabled. I really think they wanted him to leave so they could play scratch offs and try to get the big one...that is what they normally do when they "close" early.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

NEATOOOO!! ridge..That leaves tiggs out he was born in a small burg Highland Park just outside of Deeeeetroit when you could walk the streets of Deeeetorit with no fear about a 100 years ago..You can read,right?..

Sometimes Mother Nature just puts everybody where they're supposed to be tiggs.

Unless there's been some kind of mistake (it's never happened before) you apparently belong in Kentucky with all the other loons.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that).

sully16's avatarsully16

how about those Red Wings last night? yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaw

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Apr 28, 2010

how about those Red Wings last night? yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaw

Rock and Roll baby..Late gotta go beddye byes..GO WINGS!!!!...

beaudad's avatarbeaudad

Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on Apr 28, 2010

If the tape can show them selling another lottery ticket after he left..11.4 million will be  a small sum.  He can claim that they discriminated against him because he is disabled. I really think they wanted him to leave so they could play scratch offs and try to get the big one...that is what they normally do when they "close" early.

That sounds like a very good point, Little.......my wife says in Michigain they used to have a book to tell them what the winning amount was on what ticket.......apparently in order to be successful in America.........just buy a 7-11 or "party-store" or "mom and pop" store and sell lottery tickets.............wow......I was thinking of putting in a volunteer fire department.....we wouldn't go to many fires......but we would have Bingo about 5 times a week and of course we would have a non-smoking room and a smoking room.....and we would also sell tips...too !!! and put in a side-room and sell microwave pizza's for food stamps....we'd cook it for free....and later we could put in a post-office.....too!!! boy ain't America Great!!!

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Sometimes Mother Nature just puts everybody where they're supposed to be tiggs.

Unless there's been some kind of mistake (it's never happened before) you apparently belong in Kentucky with all the other loons.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that).

Wow like wow man..Don't cross the bordor anytime soon ridge..You calling Ky people loons..Man this is big..Like wow man..

konane's avatarkonane

Hmmmm lets take a deeper look .............  You decide.

".......Speedway SuperAmerica LLC denies in court filings that it had any duty to sell Andrews a lottery ticket. It also denies Andrews' version of events. Andrews' attorneys say they are seeking copies of store security video to confirm his story.

Attorneys for Speedway didn't immediately return phone calls seeking comment Monday.

A spokeswoman for the Hoosier Lottery said retailers can set their own hours for selling and redeeming lottery tickets as long as they cut off sales by 10:40 p.m.  ...."

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/213059

"Speedway SuperAmerica LLC is a brand name of a chain of combination gas stations and convenience stores in the Midwest and South. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Marathon Petroleum Company. It is the largest chain in Central Ohio and has more than 1,500 stores throughout the United States.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedway_SuperAmerica

"Marathon Oil Corporation, (NYSEMRO) is a worldwide oil and natural gas exploration and production company. Principal exploration activities are in the United States, Norway, Equatorial Guinea, Angola and Canada. Principal development activities are in the United States, the United Kingdom, Norway, Equatorial Guinea, and Gabon. In addition, Marathon operates other businesses that market and transport its own and third-party natural gas, crude oil and products manufactured from natural gas, such as liquefied natural gas and methanol, primarily in the United States, Europe and West Africa. Marathon's headquarters facility is the Marathon Oil Tower in Houston, Texas.[1]

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Apr 29, 2010

Wow like wow man..Don't cross the bordor anytime soon ridge..You calling Ky people loons..Man this is big..Like wow man..

ridge tiggs said bordor and it's border..typo..

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

Charles Andrews forgot an old saying "The early bird catches the worm". Cheers

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Tape? What tape? We don't got no tape. Shocked

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by larry3100 on Apr 29, 2010

Charles Andrews forgot an old saying "The early bird catches the worm". Cheers

Charlie didn't forget anything, for this scam to work he had to show up at the time he did.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

He can claim whatever he wants, but proving it is another matter. If they did discriminate against him, maybe it's because he's an a-hole. Maybe he's one of those clowns that shows up close to cut of time, rattles off a long list of numbers, and then refuses to pay for some of them because the clerk didn't get all 50 or 100 numbers right while entering them manually.

Whatever the reason, the lottery allows retailers to set whatever hours they want for selling tickets, and whether they sold any other tickets after he left doesn't matter.  If he doesn't like their hours he's free to go to another store. That's the only legal recourse he deserves.

vistaguy

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Apr 27, 2010

I add $10 a week to my retirement fund, aka the Powerball lottery....

YURAN's avatarYURAN

Quote: Originally posted by jarasan on Apr 27, 2010

YURAN welcome to the Lottery Post!  Most of us here appreciate and respect our international friends!  Thank you for sharing,  and we would like to know more.   In America there are lottery terminals everywhere,  someone who complains they were denied to win because they couldn't submit their numbers are filing what we call a "frivolous law suit",  a waste of the court's time.

Thank's! If american peoples like to know about Ukrainian lotteries, then you do not hear nothing new about it. Lotteries in Ukraine is absolute identical that conducted in the U.S. I hear that Florida Lottery helps to organize Ukrainian National Lottery. But we don't have lottery like Powerball and Mega Millions. Be sure they appearing in the future...

Excuse me for my bad English EmbarassedUS Flag

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by YURAN on Apr 30, 2010

Thank's! If american peoples like to know about Ukrainian lotteries, then you do not hear nothing new about it. Lotteries in Ukraine is absolute identical that conducted in the U.S. I hear that Florida Lottery helps to organize Ukrainian National Lottery. But we don't have lottery like Powerball and Mega Millions. Be sure they appearing in the future...

Excuse me for my bad English EmbarassedUS Flag

Hi Yuran,

I enjoyed watching your Pro-West legislators throwing smoke bombs and eggs at the Communists for extending that Naval Base lease to the Russians.

We have Communists in our government now too that a lot of people would like to throw eggs at.

Your English is fine. Freedom loving Americans respect the Ukrainian people's fight for freedom. But just as in your country there are those here who want the government to run everything including their lives. They're called Democrats here. We have one as President now but hopefully we will throw him out in the next election.

Good luck in your lottery!

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by Raven62 on Apr 27, 2010

You're absolutely correct. Even if he had played those numbers, there's a good chance those numbers wouldn't have been drawn.

YURAN's avatarYURAN

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 30, 2010

Hi Yuran,

I enjoyed watching your Pro-West legislators throwing smoke bombs and eggs at the Communists for extending that Naval Base lease to the Russians.

We have Communists in our government now too that a lot of people would like to throw eggs at.

Your English is fine. Freedom loving Americans respect the Ukrainian people's fight for freedom. But just as in your country there are those here who want the government to run everything including their lives. They're called Democrats here. We have one as President now but hopefully we will throw him out in the next election.

Good luck in your lottery!

Yes, our legistrators do that :) But there are no Communists in there. Just many lot of politic parties in there. America has different from us. You have only two - democrats and republicants. We have over 5 main politic parties in legistrators. Because they cannot to solve many problem and began use eggs and smoke bomb Bash

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on May 1, 2010

You're absolutely correct. Even if he had played those numbers, there's a good chance those numbers wouldn't have been drawn.

Even if he had played a play slip with those numbers on it and his ticket didn't have them, he couldn't have used the play slip as proof that he intended to play those numbers because on the back of every play slip that I've ever used, it states:

"This play slip is not an official ticket or a valid receipt.  This play slip also can not serve as proof of game played or a ticket purchase.  CHECK YOUR PRINTED TICKET for accuracy BEFORE leaving the retailer.  You need the original winning ticket to claim a prize."

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on May 1, 2010

Even if he had played a play slip with those numbers on it and his ticket didn't have them, he couldn't have used the play slip as proof that he intended to play those numbers because on the back of every play slip that I've ever used, it states:

"This play slip is not an official ticket or a valid receipt.  This play slip also can not serve as proof of game played or a ticket purchase.  CHECK YOUR PRINTED TICKET for accuracy BEFORE leaving the retailer.  You need the original winning ticket to claim a prize."

You're right. Both are strong arguments for the defense and this is what I was getting at in the other thread that I started.

Basically what I'm saying is, one cannot claim that the results would have been the same had they played. The tag line for the movie "Butterfly Effect" is "Change One Thing, Change Everything", which is true. When you change everything up to some said event, the result of that event can, and more than likely will change. Lets say you had some numbers written down and you didn't play them and they ended up being the winning numbers. Before anyone panics, they need to rewind everything and put in place the difference of you taking the time to play those numbers. This will cause a chain reaction that will work its way all around the entire globe(actually the entire universe, but I'll be simple here). In fact, it can be broken down into billions and billions of tiny steps. And yes, the difference will work its way all the way to that machine that's hundreds of miles away that's picking the lottery numbers. It's not right there in front of you so the difference isn't so apparent.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story