Powerball lottery 10x promotion starts today

May 1, 2010, 10:34 am (24 comments)

Powerball

Starting today, May 1, lottery players across the United States purchasing Powerball tickets with the Power Play option will have a chance to increase their winnings by ten times.

Between now and May 29, the Multi-State Lottery Organization (MUSL) will replace one of the "5x" multipliers with a "10x" when drawing the Power Play number.  The Power Play multiplier determines how many times non-jackpot prizes are multiplied for players who purchase the option.

Power Play costs an extra $1 per ticket.

If the special "10x" multiplier is not drawn by May 29, the "10x" will continue to stay in the drawing until it is eventually drawn.

Acting New Jersey Lottery Executive Director Steven Palmieri explained how it works.

"All a player has to do is to select 'Power Play' when they purchase their ticket," Palmieri said.  "In a normal drawing for Power Play, there are four balls each for the 2x, 3x, 4x, and 5x multiplier levels.  However, during the month of May — and longer than that, if a '10x' winner isn't selected before May 29 — one of those 5x balls will be replaced by a special '10x' ball, giving players a 1 in 16 chance that the special '10x' ball will be drawn during any draw."

Palmieri also noted that the '10x' promotion would not apply to top jackpot amounts.  "Even though the '10x' promotion doesn't apply to the top jackpot prize, it is still going to turn an ordinary $3 winner into a $30 winner, and a second-prize, $200,000 winner into a winner of $2 million — and that's not a bad return on spending an extra dollar for Power Play."

"We've already had a Powerball winner in New Jersey, our sales of the game are going strong, and we're getting huge amounts of positive feedback from our players," Palmieri said.

Powerball drawings are held every Wednesday and Saturday night at 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

THRUST's avatarTHRUST

$200,000 becoming $2,000,000 sounds nice.

Thumbs Up

michimac

I'd be the most Famous person in the world if I won the JP- Heres what I'd do:

Okay, first I go to the bank & walk out with all one dollar bills then hold a press conf announcing that I'm returning a Dollar back to every player who shows their bet slip , then give all the money back to the people !!

Then I go on oprah, sign a book deal, become a rap artist (cause thats a mindless job), get a gig on Dancing w/stars, get my own reality show called "Me & Kate plus 88 Million but without John and with 4 more kids that are 2 sets of twins" , start a line of clothing (of course made in china by cheap labor & re-sell at an inflated name-brand price), umm,,,,,,my own tasty brand of Bar-b-que sauce in the stores, I 'd be one of those expert panelist they have on Cnn offering my uneducated opinion about the topics of the day, ....let's see.... i'd get a twitter & start twittering anything that walks....but most of all I'd track down the source of that AWFUL Cnn show called 'Comcast News Makers" and destroy it !! and I'd get that horrible hostess Laurell hess a new job with way better lighting and a current up to date  theme song .....probably off my Rap album......never retire

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Whats up with my home state MA? they have not put this promo in their website. It's almost as if they dont want us to know about it. That is not cool

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

I thought they were going to skip it this year. I am glad they decided to do it. Smile

JADELottery's avatarJADELottery

Keep the 10x, permanently.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by michimac on May 1, 2010

Okay, first I go to the bank & walk out with all one dollar bills then hold a press conf announcing that I'm returning a Dollar back to every player who shows their bet slip , then give all the money back to the people !!

Then I go on oprah, sign a book deal, become a rap artist (cause thats a mindless job), get a gig on Dancing w/stars, get my own reality show called "Me & Kate plus 88 Million but without John and with 4 more kids that are 2 sets of twins" , start a line of clothing (of course made in china by cheap labor & re-sell at an inflated name-brand price), umm,,,,,,my own tasty brand of Bar-b-que sauce in the stores, I 'd be one of those expert panelist they have on Cnn offering my uneducated opinion about the topics of the day, ....let's see.... i'd get a twitter & start twittering anything that walks....but most of all I'd track down the source of that AWFUL Cnn show called 'Comcast News Makers" and destroy it !! and I'd get that horrible hostess Laurell hess a new job with way better lighting and a current up to date  theme song .....probably off my Rap album......never retire

"michimac," respectfully, if you reimbursed losing Powerball ticket holders $1 each.  You would soon be in court, being sued by the folks whom also had their playbill, waited in line with all the other 100 million people whom most were paid by you, and viewed themselves as "discriminated," against, since you hadn't reimbursed them too.  Mistake #1.

Kate is currently a multi-millionaire and successful self-marketing business woman, why would she want to share a show with you, someone who is not a multi-millionaire (remember, you gave your after-tax, cash sum jackpot monies away)?  Mistake #2.

You could certainly Twitter, that is free ( I think lots of people would love to read: how you felt, what were your thoughts, and how much you spent, did you add "Powerplay" to each bet, did you choose your own #s or allow computer to random generate).   You probably won't have much time though, if you are forced to work a daily job.

You probably wouldn't get offered a rap artist makeover for free, however, you could hum around your home -- that's still free.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by JADELottery on May 1, 2010

I Agree! Would be SUPER enthralling and powerful!!!

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

I think I will throw some $ at power play this time for the 10X.

sully16's avatarsully16

Good luck everyone. Good luck to me to.Hurray!

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on May 1, 2010

Sully put a fire under the Wings butt will yah!!..

THRUST's avatarTHRUST

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on May 1, 2010

I wish you good luck! 

Thumbs Up

JimmySand9

Sounds like a good idea to me. Too good, in fact.

I tell you what NJ should do, is not only add the Megaplier for Mega Millions, but add a multiplier for Pick-6 too. And heck, add one for Jersey Cash 5 as well, provided adding it adds a 2/5 prize.

JONNIE

Hate 2 rain on everyone's parade, but I think its a lot of bs.. First off, if u powerplay your ticket(s), there's no guarentee that u will get the 10x PP.. Plus, you'll at least need the PB number to match, otherwise u gotta match at least 3 numbers right for it to PP anything.. But just my 2cents.. GL guys.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

I think it would be neat if they kept it around as well. But, I think they like only having it around for a month once a year to drum up promotion for the game.

Perfecttiming2's avatarPerfecttiming2

Quote: Originally posted by michimac on May 1, 2010

Too funny!!!

michimac

Yeah "Haveaball:. I know all that- It's just meant to be humorous - I didn't imagine anyone would think (I) would really be serious about actually "doing" any of this (hahaha).....I was just satirically pointing out that......Uggghhh.....nevermind. you're not gonna understand anyways...

"Perfecttiming" gets it !........."Laugh" !! ...It's great to Laugh !

Anyways, "Kate" is only a multi Milli because of a very lucky series of events that propelled her into the TV voyeurism spotlight of Fame where millions of mindless people will tune-in and watch the perils of a talentless woman Exploit her children - nothing good will come out of that which is really sad for those kids.

And um...let's see......I'm not sure what you meant by saying "You probably won't have much time though, if you are forced to work a daily job"

but no, fortunately I'm not forced to do work, and I wouldn't be at all interested in receiving a "rap artist makeover".Yawn

LANTERN's avatarLANTERN

Quote: Originally posted by JONNIE on May 2, 2010

Hate 2 rain on everyone's parade, but I think its a lot of bs.. First off, if u powerplay your ticket(s), there's no guarentee that u will get the 10x PP.. Plus, you'll at least need the PB number to match, otherwise u gotta match at least 3 numbers right for it to PP anything.. But just my 2cents.. GL guys.

You are right!

It is a lot of BS.

starchild_45's avatarstarchild_45

i am just happy i can play powerball during this promotion. yay. oh i could use a win too.

caipiao

Does this happen every year for the month of May?   A lot of BS.  1/16 chance for 10X,  and only if you would've been a winner, in either case.  So far it hasn't hit.  Once Powerball gets to  at $150 Million, I might play. 

So each powerplay  costs $1 more per line?   I never played before, since my state wasn't a PB state.

dr65's avatardr65

Garbage.

They should replace all of the 2x balls with 10x balls.

ONE 10x ball?

I think they can afford the chance of the 10x ball coming out every single drawing for the month of May.

bashley572's avatarbashley572

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on May 11, 2010

Garbage.

They should replace all of the 2x balls with 10x balls.

ONE 10x ball?

I think they can afford the chance of the 10x ball coming out every single drawing for the month of May.

True but the are saying the 10x ball stays 'in' until it gets pulled, so it HAS to come out at least once!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by bashley572 on May 12, 2010

True but the are saying the 10x ball stays 'in' until it gets pulled, so it HAS to come out at least once!

It could be a permanent feature if it never comes out.

That knowledge and $3.50 will get you a grande cup of premium coffee at your favorite premium coffee shop.

I support the one that lets me and my wife come in armed to the teeth. (Drives the libs nuts!)

caipiao

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 12, 2010

It could be a permanent feature if it never comes out.

That knowledge and $3.50 will get you a grande cup of premium coffee at your favorite premium coffee shop.

I support the one that lets me and my wife come in armed to the teeth. (Drives the libs nuts!)

yeah. the 10x hasn;t happened

Winlotta's avatarWinlotta

Quote: Originally posted by caipiao on May 22, 2010

yeah. the 10x hasn;t happened

Why kill the golden goose with all the extra $1 "investments" ? ?

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story