Tenn. Lottery uses other states' lotto numbers, headquarters flooded

May 4, 2010, 8:00 am (24 comments)

Tennessee Lottery

NASHVILLE — The Tennessee Lottery closed its Nashville headquarters office Monday, due to flooding conditions.

According to the lottery's Disaster Recover Plan, when the lottery is unable to draw its own numbers, it will substitute other states' winning numbers as its own.

For Monday, May 3, the Lottery used the numbers drawn by other lotteries on the following schedule:

• Midday drawings for Cash 3 and Cash 4 used the numbers drawn for those same games by the Kentucky Lottery.
  • Evening drawings for Cash 3 and Cash 4 used the numbers drawn for those same games by the Michigan Lottery.
  • Monday night's Pick 5 drawing used the numbers drawn for that same game by the New York Lottery.

These lotteries' drawings were chosen either because of the similaries of the games or the time they hold their drawings.

The winning numbers for the games were posted as usual on Lottery Post's Tennessee Lottery Results page (www.lotterypost.com/results/tn), and the winning numbers were broadcast on Lottery partner stations throughout the state.

The Nashville weather forecast for the rest of the week is generally sunny, with temperatures in the 80s.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Does every State have a Disaster Plan: If they do: What is their Disaster Plan?

Todd's avatarTodd

Maybe I should have titled this article, "TENNESSEE LOTTERY HAS REAL DRAWINGS FOR A DAY".

Anyone notice that all the substituted games are drawn with real mechanical drawing machines?

Now if they do that every day, lots of players would be very happy....

pcurtis's avatarpcurtis

I wonder what are their plans for today.

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on May 4, 2010

Maybe I should have titled this article, "TENNESSEE LOTTERY HAS REAL DRAWINGS FOR A DAY".

Anyone notice that all the substituted games are drawn with real mechanical drawing machines?

Yeah, I did: Ironic as it may be: Their Disaster Plan was probably formulated before they went RNG.

konane's avatarkonane

Perhaps their RNG machines got flooded, shorted out, fried beyond repair (krispy kritter in the korner) and they'll be forced to go back to ball draws.  Big Grin Angel 

We can only hope for players in Tennessee they'll return to real draws.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Raven62 on May 4, 2010

Yeah, I did: Ironic as it may be: Their Disaster Plan was probably formulated before they went RNG.

I think like the article states it has more to do with the timing of the drawings in the other states. The lottery itself doesn't much care how the drawings are done, it's the players who care.

But since the lottery did start out with real drawings, and their disaster Plan was likely formulated at the time the lottery started, I would have to agree with your statement that their plan was probably formulated before they went RNG.  I just don't think the drawing type factored into the plan.  Its just a happy side-effect for players.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by konane on May 4, 2010

Perhaps their RNG machines got flooded, shorted out, fried beyond repair (krispy kritter in the korner) and they'll be forced to go back to ball draws.  Big Grin Angel 

We can only hope for players in Tennessee they'll return to real draws.

Feeling optimistic this morning? Big Grin

sully16's avatarsully16

Win big Tennessee!Sun Smiley

konane's avatarkonane

Feeling optimistic this morning? Big Grin

I know what water can do to electronics so hoping Tennessee players have an angel looking out for them.  Big Grin

adamc224

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on May 4, 2010

Win big Tennessee!Sun Smiley

Somebody did win big in Tennessee on Pick 5... $100,000.00 winner... Good for them! As for the RNG Machines, I wish them all farewell for a day... and hope that they were in a dark basement somewhere filled to the brim with water... just frying their little circuts out trying to make a draw that will make the lottery more money... JUNK!!!

Have A Nice Day Party

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

Like I said many times over,no ones perfect little world last forever no matter who you are...Todd for Tennessee Lottery CEO,Yea COOL.......

RJOh's avatarRJOh

This temporary change will probably mess up those system players who track games results because the data is from different sources.

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

we did indeed have some record rainfall/flooding this weekend,   to bad rng will be back in a few days tops

lol water pwns RNG draws

in other related note

they better have their offices open in a few days, by wed atfer the mega millions draw

in case of 1 to 1 billion odds being overcome for my self

so i can  claim my mega millions jackpot Rofl

i don't want to wait for their <snip> hq to reopen, while am holding the winning mega millions  ticket in my hand

that be f'd up

sense only they allow you to claim the 2nd place and 1 jackpot prize pools at HQ spot, they better up it fast!

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

TheOtherOne's avatarTheOtherOne

The Lottery HQ are pretty darn close to the Cumberland River in Nashville. Before they announced it I was wondering if they would have to close...I did a 10K run by the HQ a few weeks ago, and the majority of it was alongside the Cumberland Riverwalk. So I figured the HQ would be hit -- the flooding here is immense along most rivers, so I guess it was inevitable. Good for them for having a DR plan ...and even better for using REAL drawings lol!

I guess without them manipulating it the Pick 5 was hit immediately. I actually got 2 of my $3 dollars back on it :D

Not sure how much of the building is flooded but I agree, I hope it fried their machines or network so they have to bo back to real drawings.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Got that right.

Hell, I'd be happy to get Iowa's numbers third-hand after they got 'em from Illinois rather than from that dang computer.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Yea Illinois!

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

How funny would it be if TN cut off sales for their games a couple minutes after the nother states drew their numbers?  People could make a lot of money if they did that.

Tnplayer805's avatarTnplayer805

I'm certain (depending on the amount of damage done to the office) if they have to stay closed for an extended period of time they will grant district offices full power to cash big winners.  I'd imagine it would take several weeks to repair damages.

NYSlugger 777's avatarNYSlugger 777

Wow and Tenenssee , and Michigan got the same straight tonight Eek(5/04/10) 1153

Todd's avatarTodd

Just so everyone is aware, Tennessee again used other states' winning numbers yesterday (Tues., May 4) -- Kentucky for midday games and Michigan for evening games.  The Pick 5 game is not drawn on Tuesdays, so they didn't have to use NY for that.

Tnplayer805's avatarTnplayer805

Quote: Originally posted by NYSlugger 777 on May 5, 2010

Wow and Tenenssee , and Michigan got the same straight tonight Eek(5/04/10) 1153

I bet you $1 million that they will end up getting the same numbers tonight too.  :)

KyMystikal's avatarKyMystikal

FYI, Tennessee is back drawing their own numbers. I guess they must have a laptop doing it now???

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

I think they smelled a huge payoff coming from Michigan..they are due a double number of some sort. The 174 that fell in Ky mid is a favorite number also..they probably would have gotten bombed for real.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by KyMystikal on May 5, 2010

FYI, Tennessee is back drawing their own numbers. I guess they must have a laptop doing it now???

Or maybe their offices aren't on the first floor, and they only closed the offices because roads leading to the area were flooded.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story