One Calif. lottery ticket wins $266M Mega Millions jackpot

May 5, 2010, 7:32 am (15 comments)

Mega Millions

A single ticket matched all six numbers in Tuesday night's $266 million Mega Millions drawing, but unless you bought your ticket in California, you can keep on dreaming.

That single West Coast player won the largest lottery jackpot in the United States this year after purchasing the jackpot-winning ticket at L&L Hawaiian Barbecue in the Los Angeles suburb of Pico Rivera.

The winning numbers for the drawing were 9, 21, 31, 36, and 43, with a Mega Ball number of 8.

The Megaplier number was 3.

Another 28 lucky players came very close to winning it all, by matching the first 5 numbers but not the Mega Ball.  Each second-prize winner will be awarded a $250,000 prize:  1 from Arizona, 7 from California, 1 from Georgia, 1 from Illinois, 1 from Iowa, 2 from Michigan, 1 from Minnesota, 2 from Missouri, 3 from New Jersey, 2 from New York, 2 from Ohio, 1 from Pennsylvania, 1 from Texas, and 3 from Virginia.

The 7 California second-prize winners will each be awarded $179,428 because California awards all prizes based on a pari-mutuel forumla that calculates the prize based on the number of winners and the prize money available at each prize level.

The Mega Millions jackpot returns to its starting level of $12 million for the Friday night drawing.

The jackpot for tonight's Powerball drawing is $60 million.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

adaogbuehi

Good for the winner!! I hope he will use his/her money wisely. I always love to know if the winning ticket was a quick pick or numbers chosen by the individual.  Your new site is SOOOOOOOOOO  beautiful!!!!!!  The best lottery site ever, with the latest, acurate concise news.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Continued good luck to the winner.  Thumbs Up

I think I'd feel a little slighted though if I was one of the 2nd place winners in California getting $70,000 less than 2nd place winners in all the other states.

lottocalgal's avatarlottocalgal

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 5, 2010

I think I'd feel a little slighted though if I was one of the 2nd place winners in California getting $70,000 less than 2nd place winners in all the other states.

My Husband plays MM and got 1 number the the Mega for a total of $3 in winnings. Time to go to the drivethru and say SUPERSIZE IT!
But even though I have issue with Mega Million,  Hubby played the number 8 as the bonus number because he knows it as MY number.He also used 9 because its the month we got married. 

Maybe theres something to the birthday/ anniversary stuff.  Not good enough this time for him.  One of these days, Fantasy five will come through for us!

LottoLin

Wow this makes twice in the last (3) three Months that California hit Mega Millions. March someone hit Mega Millions for  $133 Million now they doubled it less than three  months later for $266 Million. Plus 7 People won the second tier prize. That is one Lucky State. Congratulations to All the winnersd

LottoLin

CowboysFan's avatarCowboysFan

That area around LA has won so many jackpots recently whether it be the Super Lotto Plus or the Mega Millions.

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Okay, okay, looks like someone else took it down THIS time! Oh well. It's all good. Congratulations to the winner. I'm gonna win it this time around though!

scorpio

it's where the pollution,high population is,and that's why we left california,but congrats anyway.

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 5, 2010

How would you feel: If you were a 2nd place winner in California: When no one won 2nd place for a couple of rolls, and you Win $800,000 for 2nd place while the other States get $250,000?

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Raven62 on May 5, 2010

How would you feel: If you were a 2nd place winner in California: When no one won 2nd place for a couple of rolls, and you Win $800,000 for 2nd place while the other States get $250,000?

Players seem to forget that except for the jackpots of MM and PB, each state run their own version of the games, using their own rules and paying their own prizes.  That's like asking how would you feel if you won $500K playing your states 5/39 game and players in other state only won $100K playing their states 5/39 games.

* an interesting note:
When the MM jackpot gets large, California have more 2nd prize winners per ticket sold than all the other states put together.  For example, for the 04/30 drawing CA had 5 of 12 or 40% of the 5+0 winners and only sold 27% of the tickets and for the 04/27 drawing CA had 4 of 13 or 31% of the 5+0 winners and only sold 24% of the tickets.   That tells me Californians are more likely to win the larger jackpots too.

barbos's avatarbarbos

Hm one of California's 5+0 tickets was sold at the market just 5 blocks from where I live - I guess that's my best result ever.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Todd, on your USAmega.com website would you [please] be willing to add two more left menu items ... a matrix listing of jackpot winners: state, cash-value amount, annuitized amount, and link to your LotteryPost.com article(s)? [The Powerball website does most of this, but the MegaMillions website doesn't.]

Todd, thank you for now listing the actual MegaMillions cash-value amount, rather than previous method of rounding-up.Star

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on May 5, 2010

Todd, on your USAmega.com website would you [please] be willing to add two more left menu items ... a matrix listing of jackpot winners: state, cash-value amount, annuitized amount, and link to your LotteryPost.com article(s)? [The Powerball website does most of this, but the MegaMillions website doesn't.]

Todd, thank you for now listing the actual MegaMillions cash-value amount, rather than previous method of rounding-up.Star

I would do it if I had a source for the data.  Unfortunately, Mega Millions is still not being run by a central organization.  My guess is that MUSL is getting ready to do that, but it will probably require more time.  Once they are getting data from all the states (like they do for Powerball), they'll probably publish it.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Raven62 on May 5, 2010

Well naturally I'd look up past 2nd place winners who were shorted in California and share it with them!   Wink

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on May 5, 2010

Players seem to forget that except for the jackpots of MM and PB, each state run their own version of the games, using their own rules and paying their own prizes.  That's like asking how would you feel if you won $500K playing your states 5/39 game and players in other state only won $100K playing their states 5/39 games.

* an interesting note:
When the MM jackpot gets large, California have more 2nd prize winners per ticket sold than all the other states put together.  For example, for the 04/30 drawing CA had 5 of 12 or 40% of the 5+0 winners and only sold 27% of the tickets and for the 04/27 drawing CA had 4 of 13 or 31% of the 5+0 winners and only sold 24% of the tickets.   That tells me Californians are more likely to win the larger jackpots too.

Doesn't seem right that they should be winning more when they're the ones responsible for all the stupid pizzas we have nowadays. You know, the ones with pineapple and lettuce and barbecue sauce and all like that. I been out there to California. They ain't like regular people out there.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

MAY 4 2010 WINNING MM TICKET

I see a $3 winner on the bottom line, I wonder if they plan to wait until they claim the jackpot to claim it too.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story