Colorado Lottery starts Mega Millions sales Sunday

May 11, 2010, 7:34 am (25 comments)

Colorado Lottery

DENVER, Co. — The Colorado Lottery will begin selling Mega Millions tickets Sun., May 16, giving Colorado residents two more chances every week to score big jackpots.

Colorado will become the 42nd locality nationwide to offer tickets for the popular multi-state jackpot game.  The United States' other mega jackpot game, Powerball, is also offered by the Lottery.

"We're thrilled to give our players the opportunity to win another large jackpot," said Colorado Lottery Acting Director Tom Kitts. "We believe Mega Millions will complement our current product line and allow us to raise more money for all of the great projects the Lottery supports."

Mega Millions has a starting jackpot of $12 million and other prizes ranging from $2 to $250,000. To play, consumers choose 5 numbers from 1 to 56 and one Mega Ball number from 1 to 46. Players that match the five numbers and the Mega Ball win the jackpot.

Players can opt to spend an extra $1 for a "Megaplier" option, which will multiply their non-jackpot prizes by 2, 3 or 4 times.

The odds of winning the Mega Millions jackpot are 1 in 175.7 million. Overall odds of winning a prize are 1 in 40.

Mega Millions drawings are held on Tuesdays and Fridays at 11 p.m. EST. The drawings will be aired on the Altitude network in Colorado.

The Colorado Lottery began pursuing the idea of selling Mega Millions after the organizations that operate Powerball and Mega Millions formed a partnership allowing cross-selling in October 2009. Both games are now sold by 39 lotteries nationally.

The Colorado Lottery has offered the Powerball Jackpot game since 2001. The game offers a starting jackpot of $20 million. Colorado claimed its first Powerball jackpot winners in October 2007, when SEEP Financial Group won $20 million. Drawings for Powerball are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are 1 in 195.2 million. In Fiscal Year 2009, Powerball sales were $100.7 million.

Proceeds from the Colorado Lottery's games — Mega Millions, Powerball, Cash 5, Scratch, Lotto and MatchPlay — stay in Colorado to improve the quality of life in the state. The Lottery has returned more than $2.2 billion to the state of Colorado since its creation in 1983. Through Great Outdoors Colorado, the Conservation Trust Fund and Colorado State Parks, the Lottery has provided funding for new trails, open space and wildlife protection.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

crow

All the states that offer Megamillions & Powerball have jumped on the "GREED BANDWAGON"....its just waaaaay easier to get people addicted to gambling much like it is with cigarettes/alcohol than it is to create jobs.etc ...... also it gives state governments the opportunity to borrow out of it like what has happened in NC recently...plus with more states in the collective pool means that they can keep a greater share of the cash percentage wise...Dont e-mail those clowns at the powerball headquarters and inquire as to such because they'll flat out deny it with a sarcastic/idiotic rebuttal similar to a style in washington politics we hear on the news everyday....

Megamillions is still stuck on 12 million which is turning into a joke plus the lottos have took on the mantra of spreading disinformation by saying they pay out millions every drawing when in reality the money paid out is put right back into the powerball/megamillions system the next drawing by addicted gamblers who are hooked on trying to win the big one...

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by crow on May 11, 2010

All the states that offer Megamillions & Powerball have jumped on the "GREED BANDWAGON"....its just waaaaay easier to get people addicted to gambling much like it is with cigarettes/alcohol than it is to create jobs.etc ...... also it gives state governments the opportunity to borrow out of it like what has happened in NC recently...plus with more states in the collective pool means that they can keep a greater share of the cash percentage wise...Dont e-mail those clowns at the powerball headquarters and inquire as to such because they'll flat out deny it with a sarcastic/idiotic rebuttal similar to a style in washington politics we hear on the news everyday....

Megamillions is still stuck on 12 million which is turning into a joke plus the lottos have took on the mantra of spreading disinformation by saying they pay out millions every drawing when in reality the money paid out is put right back into the powerball/megamillions system the next drawing by addicted gamblers who are hooked on trying to win the big one...

Wow, you would think that you didn't play the lottery yourself.  Aren't you a daily lottery player, who posts lots and lots of numbers in the Pick 3 forum every day?

I have never heard something sarcastic or idiotic coming from the MUSL folks -- they have been some of the most straight-forward of any of the lottery reps out there.

Mega Millions is not "stuck on 12 million", but it does have a $12 million starting jackpot.  In the first rollover it tends to rise to about $19 or $20 million.  It also has a very strong cash value.  I'm not sure what the complaints are about there.  Maybe it's not enough for you, but it seems good to me.

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by crow on May 11, 2010

Time to Call 1-800-GAMBLER? Thud

konane's avatarkonane

Congratulations to lottery players in Colorado!  Now you have a choice ...... choice is awesome!     Party

RollChris76

It is interesting that so many states have joined Mega Millions in the past few months and they have not yet raised the starting jackpot from 12 million.  With so many states playing Mega Millions now, the sales should be high enough to justify a higher starting jackpot that 12 million.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

A new choice for Colorado!

I found out that the store where I purchase my Mega Millions and Powerball tickets sold a $200,000 winner in the Powerball recently!

I hope that they sell a Jackpot winner soon(to me)!

Woo Hoo - Dance

I am ready to go green ............. with money! US Flag

Grovel's avatarGrovel

It would be awesome if they increased it to 20 million like powerball.

LottoL's avatarLottoL

Colorado will become the 42nd locality . . . . . . . . . . . . .

================================================================

It's difficult to keep up with all the changes, but I count 40.

AR AZ CA CT DC DE GA IA ID IL
IN KS KY MD MA MI MN MO MT NC
NE ND NH NJ NM NY OH OK OR PA
RI SC TN TX VT VA WA WI WV CO

How do you figure 42?

Best of Luck!
LottoL

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Now Colorado will have opportunity for lottery players to win big. Welcome to the game.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

It's about time Colorado! Smile

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on May 11, 2010

Wow, you would think that you didn't play the lottery yourself.  Aren't you a daily lottery player, who posts lots and lots of numbers in the Pick 3 forum every day?

I have never heard something sarcastic or idiotic coming from the MUSL folks -- they have been some of the most straight-forward of any of the lottery reps out there.

Mega Millions is not "stuck on 12 million", but it does have a $12 million starting jackpot.  In the first rollover it tends to rise to about $19 or $20 million.  It also has a very strong cash value.  I'm not sure what the complaints are about there.  Maybe it's not enough for you, but it seems good to me.

I agree. I would love $12 million dollars and it would definitely be enough for me!

LotteryJunkiE99's avatarLotteryJunkiE99

I'm Glad another State is being given a chance to participate in a High Jackpot Game.Approve

Todd's Right, even though Mega starts out at 12 million, its been my experience that it rises about 1 and a half to two times faster than Powerball, and the Cash value is about 1/3 times as much  better than Powerball, and it also has lower odds than Powerball, so no harm no foul.     Embarassed

I think no one makes people play the lottery, especially in terms of volume.   People choose play however much they are comfortable with or however much they are willing to risk to lose to win something back in return.    Star

I think this is great news to Colorado residents who up to this upcoming point would have had had to resort to traveling out-out-of-state which can get costly, to buy their Mega Tickets.     Smile

May I remind people, that people spend more annually in Entertainment than on anything else there is in this world, especially in a downturned economy, and I suppose just as much as fun, or as an investment, the lottery can be a fun form of investment that is also a form of entertainment.   

Here's to more states offering both Games, and for players to be equally lucky at both.    Cheers  I personally prefer Powerball.   The numbers just seem to work better for me on there.   Call it what you wish, but it just seems to happen that way, so Players remember to analyze your personal chances and luck and rapport with each game!       Hyper

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by LottoL on May 11, 2010

Colorado will become the 42nd locality . . . . . . . . . . . . .

================================================================

It's difficult to keep up with all the changes, but I count 40.

AR AZ CA CT DC DE GA IA ID IL
IN KS KY MD MA MI MN MO MT NC
NE ND NH NJ NM NY OH OK OR PA
RI SC TN TX VT VA WA WI WV CO

How do you figure 42?

Best of Luck!
LottoL

You're missing Maine (started this past Sunday) and South Dakota (starts this coming Sunday).  Since S.D. announced their participation before Colorado, and they both start on the same date, I figure that makes S.D. #41 and Colorado #42.

USA Mega (www.usamega.com) has been updated with all of the current information, so if you click "Where to Play" in the Mega Millions section there, you will see all of the jurisdictions, along with their start dates.

LottoL's avatarLottoL

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on May 11, 2010

You're missing Maine (started this past Sunday) and South Dakota (starts this coming Sunday).  Since S.D. announced their participation before Colorado, and they both start on the same date, I figure that makes S.D. #41 and Colorado #42.

USA Mega (www.usamega.com) has been updated with all of the current information, so if you click "Where to Play" in the Mega Millions section there, you will see all of the jurisdictions, along with their start dates.

Thanks for the update!

LottoL

pumpi76

i am really happy about this: the perspective...is it ball drawing or RNG, there are hackers out there....

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Mega Millions is ping pong balls..Like Power Ball..

jrosina's avatarjrosina

Welcome Colorado!!  Jump in the pool, the water is warm and very receptive!!!  Let the games begin!!

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

Quote: Originally posted by Grovel on May 11, 2010

They should increase the odds, and the starting jackpot with this big a recent increase in states joining.

pumpi76

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on May 11, 2010

They should increase the odds, and the starting jackpot with this big a recent increase in states joining.

LOL....

Perfecttiming2's avatarPerfecttiming2

Quote: Originally posted by RollChris76 on May 11, 2010

It is interesting that so many states have joined Mega Millions in the past few months and they have not yet raised the starting jackpot from 12 million.  With so many states playing Mega Millions now, the sales should be high enough to justify a higher starting jackpot that 12 million.

Hi RollChris!

I totally agree.......With so many states playing, why haven't they raised the starting jackpot?

If they are not going to increase the starting jackpot....at least allow all the states to use the megaplier....

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Perfecttiming2 on May 12, 2010

Hi RollChris!

I totally agree.......With so many states playing, why haven't they raised the starting jackpot?

If they are not going to increase the starting jackpot....at least allow all the states to use the megaplier....

All of the states are allowed to use the Megaplier.  Some don't use it (yet) because they choose not to.  If you live in a state that does not have the Megaplier you should contact your state lottery and voice your opinion that you want it.

crow

Quote: Originally posted by Grovel on May 11, 2010

My above arguement was based on how "GREEDY" the Powerball/Megamillions have become.....a starting point of 12/20 million is just waaaaaaaaaaay tooooo low and is bordering on being laughable/joke...!

There's just too many states in the collective pool for it to be that low however you'll never get them to address this issue...

The starting point should be at least 50-75 million and grow from there....

Like I said in my earlier post if the state Govts weren't so "GREEDY" then they wouldn't be borrowing out of it...

I'm tellin ya this is straight up BS to be pullin a stunt like that .. !

JONNIE

I tend 2 agree with Crow, the lottery's greed and unwillingness 2 raise the $12M starting jackpot with 42 states pouring $$$ into this gm is borderline criminal.. The odds are so astronomiclly bad that u actually hit the lottery. 176M to 1 is nearly impossible, in fact better chance u get struck by lightning while simultaneously being eaten live by  great white shark. That being said, people do win, and I play for entertainment, but Im now seemingly favoring PB over MM, b/c at least PB seems to roll faster than MM and I like dealing with 7 less numbers when choosing the bonus number.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by JONNIE on May 12, 2010

I tend 2 agree with Crow, the lottery's greed and unwillingness 2 raise the $12M starting jackpot with 42 states pouring $$$ into this gm is borderline criminal.. The odds are so astronomiclly bad that u actually hit the lottery. 176M to 1 is nearly impossible, in fact better chance u get struck by lightning while simultaneously being eaten live by  great white shark. That being said, people do win, and I play for entertainment, but Im now seemingly favoring PB over MM, b/c at least PB seems to roll faster than MM and I like dealing with 7 less numbers when choosing the bonus number.

If I'm ever being eaten alive by a Great White Shark I hope I am struck by lightning.

That would be vastly superior to winning the Powerball Jackpot at that particular point in time.

Hermanus104's avatarHermanus104

The REAL joke with these games is the payouts they give for lower prizes. The odds for 3 + 0 is 1 in 306, but the payout is $7. Quid? The odds of 3 + 1 are 1 in 15,313 (greater than the odds of winning Pick-4), but the prize is $150 (significantly less than the top prize of Pick-3!) This is why I have decided to not play these games again (that, and I would have no idea what to do with the money if I did win!) The only games I will play are the Pick-3 and the Pick-4. The top prizes are low, but at least the prizes are fair! 50-50 seems like a good ratio.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story