Powerball lottery jackpot raised to $260M

May 30, 2010, 10:18 am (79 comments)

Powerball

Largest Powerball jackpot of the year

by Todd Northrop

The multi-state Powerball lottery drawing happened last night once again without any jackpot winners, causing the new jackpot for Wednesday's drawing to grow to an estimated $260 million, with a cash option of $134.2 million.

Saturday night was the 11th consecutive drawing without a jackpot winner.

Even though there were no jackpot winners, 11 lucky tickets matched the first five numbers for a $200,000 second-place prize: 1 from Florida, 1 from Illinois, 1 from New Jersey, 1 from New Mexico, 2 from New York, 1 from Ohio, 3 from Pennsylvania, and 1 from Wisconsin.

Two of the second-prize tickets, the ticket sold in Florida and one of the tickets sold in New York, were purchased with the Power Play option, which has multiplied the ticket-holders' prizes to a sizable $1 million.

75 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. Of those tickets, 14 also were purchased with the Power Play option, multiplying the prize by 4 for a total cash prize of $40,000.

The Powerball winning numbers for Saturday, May 29, were 1, 3, 24, 28, and 41, with Powerball number 10. The Power Play number was 4.

Only four jackpots in the past three years have been larger than the upcoming Wednesday drawing.

• On August 19, 2009, a retired South Carolina state employee who spent two bucks on tickets won a $260 million Powerball jackpot.
  • The May 27 jackpot, worth $232 million in yearly payments, was hit by a 23-year-old South Dakota rancher who opted for the lump sum. The check was for $88,504,147 after taxes were withheld.
  • The March 15, 2008, prize reached $276 million before being snagged by eight coworkers in a West Virginia tax office.
  • On Aug. 25, 2007, one of the biggest Powerball prizes ever, $314 million, was hit in Indiana. An Ohio man and his two children collected.

In the Powerball drawing last night, a total of 1,542,606 tickets across the USA won $15,085,297 in prizes playing "America's Game". 262,507 of those winning tickets were purchased with the Power Play option, which multiplied the prize by 4 Saturday.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is multiplied from 2-5 times, depending on a computerized random number generated that evening. Second-place Power Play-enabled tickets matching five numbers but not the Powerball are always multiplied by 5 times, for a $1 million prize.

In the month of May 2010, a special 10x promotion was held, which replaced on of the 5x multipliers with a 10x selection.  Because the Power Play 10x promotion was not won in the month of May, it will continue next drawing and each drawing thereafter until the 10x multiplier is drawn.

The lotteries sold $2.56 billion in Powerball tickets in fiscal year 2009, translating into over $743 million for state projects.

Powerball is now played in 42 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

That's it.

It's Hammer Time.

Grovel's avatarGrovel

I'm getting 10 numbers this time.

Halle99's avatarHalle99

PartyOh yeah........my money is growing........As I said before this is mine, Im blessed to receive the jp........

Good luck to all.

M0money$

Quote: Originally posted by Halle99 on May 30, 2010

PartyOh yeah........my money is growing........As I said before this is mine, Im blessed to receive the jp........

Good luck to all.

Hate to burst your bubble, Halle, but this JP is all mine!!  lol  I'm just as blessed!  I've been waiting for this one!

grave

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 30, 2010

That's it.

It's Hammer Time.

Big Grin

LotteryJunkiE99's avatarLotteryJunkiE99
  • GET THOSE PLAYSLIPS OUT AND REEADDDY!!!
  • PLAY THEM.

Party       US Flag     PartyUS FlagParty 

• DRINK A COLD ONE BEFORE WEDNESDAY'S DRAWING.

Here's to you, Here's to Me, May the best number's win the Powerball!!!    Cheers

May it Roll!!!>!>>!???!Idea

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

$87+ Million after the Federal Confiscation !

Sun Smiley

I will take it !

Pennsylvania needs another big winner !

US Flag

THRUST's avatarTHRUST

I AM GOING TO WIN THE JACKPOT...SHARING WITH GRAVE...I GOT YOUR BACK MY BROTHER!!!

I AM WINNING, GOT MY TICKETS THIS MORNING...WILL BE DOING ALL SORTS OF PRAYING AND VOO DOO.

I KNOW I AM THE WINNER!!!

Party

Thumbs Up

Guru101's avatarGuru101

Looks like I'll be winning $260,000,000.Big Smile

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Everyone is going to have to stand in line behind me. LOL

TonyZinc

Nobody going to win this time !

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by TonyZinc on May 30, 2010

Nobody going to win this time !

Hey Tony,

Welcome.

Any chance you're a motivational speaker by trade?

Anybody need a wet blanket?

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Hey Tony,

Welcome.

LOL!!!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on May 30, 2010

Sun Smiley

I will take it !

US Flag

OR

$83.3 Million after additional Federal and State (Illinois) Confiscation!

Sun Smiley

I will take it !

Illinois needs a big jackpot winner in me!

US Flag

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

I am a loyal but thrifty lottery player.  I will play  $1 QUICK PICK no matter how big the jackpot gets. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

am sure time will spin a most curious yarn soon enough.....

as for if it hits this wednesday ....I tink its safe to say we'll find out soon enough

Thinking of...

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

That's it.

It's Hammer Time.

You are so right ridge..tiggs is going to throw an extra buck in the kitty himself..Going all the way..Hammer time!!!..

joker17

23 year old rancher from South Dakota wins 88 million after taxes. Now that's the way to live life early on. Rich and young, the American way baby. Must be nice.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by joker17 on May 30, 2010

23 year old rancher from South Dakota wins 88 million after taxes. Now that's the way to live life early on. Rich and young, the American way baby. Must be nice.

We wish him luck from here on out..Good for him..

Velocity's avatarVelocity

Sun Smiley

I will take it !

US Flag

Yes, Pennsylvania does need another winner dpoly1, and I'd like it to be me:) Ahhh, but at least I did win $7 in yesterdays drawing, why oh why couldn't I have had the last 3 no's. Oh well next time:o

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

My gut feeling says two or more tickets are produced as winners for this hit of the jackpot. So I bought two, one for me and one for myself :) May we both win!!

Seriously for Wednesdays draw  I hope its a double gift with the 10x showing up too!!

Halle99's avatarHalle99

Quote: Originally posted by M0money$ on May 30, 2010

Hate to burst your bubble, Halle, but this JP is all mine!!  lol  I'm just as blessed!  I've been waiting for this one!

Ooops I am so sorry MOmoney$, but the JP is mine, it's my turn.....I have had dreams and my dreams do come true..........I believe you are as blessed but just wait for your turn after my record JP. 

Good luck to all......PartyCelebration time come on........

GASMETERGUY

scarcasm/on

Why do all you people post such inane comments such as "the jackpot is mine" or "I'm gonna win"?

That's just plain stupid.  I have the only winning numbers so just cut it out!!! 

scarcasm/off

petergrfn

Oh the things I will do with $260 Million.........Man I'll be having some great lotto inspired day dreams this week!!    This is getting interesting..........   Good Luck to all LP folks.....Too bad it will do you no good...I've Got this one in the bag...LOLJester

NightTrain1234's avatarNightTrain1234

I'll be taking the annuity option after I win on Wednesday.   I don't want to have to worry about spending all my winnings in 3 years.   :)

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by NightTrain1234 on May 30, 2010

I'll be taking the annuity option after I win on Wednesday.   I don't want to have to worry about spending all my winnings in 3 years.   :)

Just take the cash option and give half to me to hold on to for ya so you don't spend it all.

I don't mind helpin out.

paulfund

im still 21 so i still have a shot at such life ;)

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by paulfund on May 30, 2010

im still 21 so i still have a shot at such life ;)

Tiggs has pants that are twice your age.

He still wears em too.

Bright red polyester bell-bottoms with a white belt.

He wears em pulled up to his chest. 

That's what you call stylin' in Kentucky.

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

The JP will be at 300+ millions if no one wins on Wednesday. Good luck ya'll!

Genome

I'm real hyped for Wednesday. Got 11 lines of of qp's.

victorl3ichiban's avatarvictorl3ichiban

too bad i can't play this game

THRUST's avatarTHRUST

Vic, After I win...I will slide you a few Million, Ok? Hope I win. Big Grin

Thumbs Up

Piaceri

Tiggs has pants that are twice your age.

He still wears em too.

Bright red polyester bell-bottoms with a white belt.

He wears em pulled up to his chest. 

That's what you call stylin' in Kentucky.

That picture just did not go well with my morning coffee. It burns.... Coffee

It's time for another Michigan winner, and their first PB winner ... cold far enough away to turn on sprinklers without freezing your lines, trees are blooming, sunshine has returned... and GM is running 3 shifts again. 

White Bounce

Kidzmom's avatarKidzmom

Since NC has been hot with the Mega Millions this past week with a 12million dollar win in Greensboro and A million dollar win right  here in Durham, Let's just hope Powerball follows suit.  Mainly with my tickets!! Lol.  Good Luck everyone!!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I spent $2 on 2 Quick Picks ......... BIG SPENDER!

When I win I will purchase some big ticket items and then settle down have some fun !

Pennsylvania is due for a jackpot winner and the store where I buy my tickets is selling some nice winning tickets right now !

Lump sum for me !  ......... and some nice investments !

Good luck to all ....... but ................ I need to win !

US FlagSun Smiley

TonyZinc

Hey Tony,

Welcome.

Hey young man,

I  don't want to win-------Nobody going to wn.....!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by victorl3ichiban on May 31, 2010

Powerball just came to Ohio last month but I and some of my friends have played it for years when ever its jackpot went over $150M.  If you really wanted to play, you would find a way.

caipiao

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on May 31, 2010

Powerball just came to Ohio last month but I and some of my friends have played it for years when ever its jackpot went over $150M.  If you really wanted to play, you would find a way.

too U.S.-centric.  maybe applicable to US residents.  when it's 300 million, one can tolerate driving many miles to Powerball sellers.  Maybe even for canadians along the border.   but for most of the world, they can't play and have to settle with their 2nd rate lotteries.  their jackpots are high for their own countries though.

or are online buying with "courier  service" like Bbet-slips  legal?  I hear they're legal for rest of the world,  but not  US citizen, would break some law or risk  the company never paying

Halle99's avatarHalle99

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on May 31, 2010

Big Grin Angel

I do agree with you RJOh....Pb is not played in my state and yet I still drive to buy PB tix.....This is my money and I am blessed to have the JP.........I have not yet gotten my tix but I am driving on Wed to get them.........Good luck to ya'll

It's my money......Thank GOD it has finally come to me, it has been a long wait.Party

adamc224

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on May 31, 2010

That picture just did not go well with my morning coffee. It burns.... Coffee

It's time for another Michigan winner, and their first PB winner ... cold far enough away to turn on sprinklers without freezing your lines, trees are blooming, sunshine has returned... and GM is running 3 shifts again. 

White Bounce

Good news about GM i love GM cars and i will buy several if i could ever win this lottery!!!

I asked God to let me win at lease 200K and now all i got to do is see, if it is his will.... i will win if not good luck/God Bless to whoever does

AND PLEASE COLLECT ANONYMOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who cares if nobody knows! You Will NOT regret This Advice!!!

Guru101's avatarGuru101

The house I'm going to buy is absolutely huge. Plenty of room for the cars I'm going to buy. Lots of rooms for guests. I especially like the full indoor basketball court, the outdoor swimming pool, indoor lap pool, and exercise room. But that's just the start of it LOL!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by victorl3ichiban on May 31, 2010

Route 5 to the Oregon line, Victor. I think that's the closest place for you.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by TonyZinc on May 31, 2010

Hey young man,

I  don't want to win-------Nobody going to wn.....!

Hey Tony,

I'm a going to win---------Capisce.....?

Christathios

Good luck to all!!!

Too bad I live in Canada.

I'm just wondering... Wink... if someone out here actually wins the jackpot, would we hear from them on Sunday? Coffee

grave

Quote: Originally posted by THRUST on May 30, 2010

I AM GOING TO WIN THE JACKPOT...SHARING WITH GRAVE...I GOT YOUR BACK MY BROTHER!!!

I AM WINNING, GOT MY TICKETS THIS MORNING...WILL BE DOING ALL SORTS OF PRAYING AND VOO DOO.

I KNOW I AM THE WINNER!!!

Party

Thumbs Up

if i win you know im wiring you some DOUGH to your bank account.....

Hyper

weshar75's avatarweshar75

Well I spent my last $5 on powerball on sunday morning so I hope that I win.  Extra money because paid day is this week.  Good luck to all.-weshar75

grave

after the drawing on wed i hope to be the next 23 yr old that winsThumbs Up

bosslady2010

i need some money someone please give me a good number to play tomorrow morning  plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzParty

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I will be aiming for that second prize....of course with the multiplier. Yes sir, $1,000,000 would be more that enough :-)

DETLotteryPlaye

Playing $50 Dollars worth of tickets tomorrow I guess....

Going to play $10 Dollars worth of Keno! Tickets

5 on Each Ticket hopefully I can win

THRUST's avatarTHRUST

Quote: Originally posted by grave on May 31, 2010

after the drawing on wed i hope to be the next 23 yr old that winsThumbs Up

I am 32 and it feels about the right time to win a jackpot. Smiley

Either way I hope one of us wins grave. Thumbs Up

bosslady2010

last nite i dream dat i sell a pirate fa 50$ for a man and da man give me 1$ for sellin da pirate. Can some one plzzzz tell me wat pirate and man and sell give plzzz, thank u Party

markp1950

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on May 30, 2010

OR

$83.3 Million after additional Federal and State (Illinois) Confiscation!

Sun Smiley

I will take it !

Illinois needs a big jackpot winner in me!

US Flag

How disappointed are you going to be when you hear that somebody from Wisconsin comes down and takes not only Powerball from you, but also 10.5 Million Lotto too!

Just HAD to take a road trip this morning!

MarkP

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by bosslady2010 on Jun 1, 2010

last nite i dream dat i sell a pirate fa 50$ for a man and da man give me 1$ for sellin da pirate. Can some one plzzzz tell me wat pirate and man and sell give plzzz, thank u Party

Hi bosslady,

If you ask that question in the Mystical Forum they'll give you some numbers, good luck.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by DETLotteryPlaye on Jun 1, 2010

Playing $50 Dollars worth of tickets tomorrow I guess....

Going to play $10 Dollars worth of Keno! Tickets

5 on Each Ticket hopefully I can win

Wow, 50 dollars worth! Good luck to you.

I only bought 2 dollars worth and power played them. I am on a budget. LOL

TonyZinc

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 31, 2010

Hey Tony,

I'm a going to win---------Capisce.....?

Hey ong gia,

No capisce, only God comprend tout....

caipiao

Quote: Originally posted by TonyZinc on Jun 1, 2010

Hey ong gia,

someone from LP should win, and then  post the ticket here.   10X  promotion still there,   all play powerplay

DETLotteryPlaye

hehe I don't have anything else to spend it on so why not? I could be 134 Million Richer! lol

But yeah Hopefully I can win

I'm going to 10 Different Stores and play 5 Dollars worth at each store....

Hopefully I can win at least $250,000 lol

paulfund

i bought forty tickets today.

i doubt i would win.. im too young to win anything. im just old enough to legally drink alcohol lol.

crow

Sun Smiley

I will take it !

US Flag

IN other words its B.S.. !

WHY?

Because our crooked government gets a "DOUBLE CUT" of the pie...!

Once before it goes into the collective pool and another cut before its actually handed to the winner...

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by TonyZinc on Jun 1, 2010

Hey ong gia,

Hey mot thahn nien,

I'm gonna send you a hundred dollars when I win. That's our secret. Don't tell anybody.

louise black

Quote: Originally posted by Christathios on May 31, 2010

Good luck to all!!!

Too bad I live in Canada.

I'm just wondering... Wink... if someone out here actually wins the jackpot, would we hear from them on Sunday? Coffee

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I BE TOO BUSY BEING ANONYMOUS.Sulk Off  BUT HOWEVER THERE WOULD BE A LOT HAPPY PEOPLE!!!Banana

sully16's avatarsully16

I can live with those numbers. Season tickets to the Tigers for the whole family.Cheers

Grovel's avatarGrovel

Quote: Originally posted by caipiao on Jun 1, 2010

someone from LP should win, and then  post the ticket here.   10X  promotion still there,   all play powerplay

If I would I would tell everyone here as soon as I could, but I would not try to scan it onto my computer. Remember the guy who burned his ticket up trying to print his name on it?

djklaugh's avatardjklaugh

Sorry all of you hopefuls .... it's Oregon's turn for a jackpot winner .... and I've got the winning ticket tucked there under my lucky stone surrounded by all my lucky pennies (26 of them) Sun Smiley

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

OK ..... so I spent $4 this week on the lottery ..... Powerball to be exact ...... and I have picked out 2 Rolls Royces that I would like to have (so that people will tell me that I will go broke if I win) ...... but I am still wearing the really old clothes that my wife has threatened to burn ..... by the way ..... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and my grandmother was 90 and "saving for my old age" ..... a few indulgences will not send me to the poor house, I am more frugal than you can imagine ...............

$87+ Million after Feds "spread the wealth" ............ I will claim it right away and there will be no press ........... I really do have a place or 2 to hide ........... I have not heard anything about the last big winner from our area ........... so I will be like the movie - catch me if you can !

I always wish the best to all, but .................. I want me to win !

Look out ....... this coservative is going GREEN ............. with money ! Cool

crow

Quote: Originally posted by djklaugh on Jun 1, 2010

Sorry all of you hopefuls .... it's Oregon's turn for a jackpot winner .... and I've got the winning ticket tucked there under my lucky stone surrounded by all my lucky pennies (26 of them) Sun Smiley

Huh,why 26 lucky pennies?

How bout a lucky rabbits foot...?

Hey wait a minute...didn't Oregon win a HUGE payout just a few short years ago?

djklaugh's avatardjklaugh

Quote: Originally posted by crow on Jun 1, 2010

Huh,why 26 lucky pennies?

How bout a lucky rabbits foot...?

Hey wait a minute...didn't Oregon win a HUGE payout just a few short years ago?

October 2006 $360 million jackpot won in Oregon - but that was the last time a Powerball Jackpot was won in Oregon - it's about time for another win for this state :)

Nino224's avatarNino224

I'm easy. You guys keep the jackpot. I'll take the second prize with the 10x powerplay. About 1.4 after taxes. That's all I need.

petergrfn

Quote: Originally posted by Nino224 on Jun 2, 2010

I'm easy. You guys keep the jackpot. I'll take the second prize with the 10x powerplay. About 1.4 after taxes. That's all I need.

OK...I'll take that deal!! LOLCheers       It's been a good few days for day dreaming!!    I've found the first of the Many cars i"m going to buy..  James Bond's Aston Martin..   http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2995886/JAMES-Bonds-Aston-Martin-DB5-is-being-put-up-for-sale.html.....  Now to look for my new Private Island........HAHAHAHAHA   Good Luck All.....

grave

Quote: Originally posted by Nino224 on Jun 2, 2010

you and me both....lol

PrisonerSix

I've got a bunch of tickets for tonight.  I'm in one pool that has 10 tickets(15 people), another pool that has 75 tickets(15 people), the pool I run has 8 tickets(13 people), my wife and I have a set of 2 tickets we bought, and I have a ticket of my own with Powerplay.  I just realized that's a total of 96 tickets I've got a hand in.  I can't wait for the drawing!

Prob988

Maybe the winner who complains about "confiscation" should move to Dafur.

They don't pay taxes in Dafur.   Absolutely none.

Of course, in Dafur, if somebody decides to kill you and take all your money, there's no infrastructure to arrest them.   The criminal is just the "next rich guy," until someone kills him.

No cops.   No ambulances.  No libraries.  No roads.  No taxes.  No schools.   No clean water.   No laws.  No government.   You can keep it all for as long as you live, which may not be very long, but, hey, what's more important, your country or your money?

With that much money, one could easily take a one way ticket to nirvana.  Dafur, that's the place!

paulfund

Quote: Originally posted by Prob988 on Jun 2, 2010

Maybe the winner who complains about "confiscation" should move to Dafur.

They don't pay taxes in Dafur.   Absolutely none.

Of course, in Dafur, if somebody decides to kill you and take all your money, there's no infrastructure to arrest them.   The criminal is just the "next rich guy," until someone kills him.

No cops.   No ambulances.  No libraries.  No roads.  No taxes.  No schools.   No clean water.   No laws.  No government.   You can keep it all for as long as you live, which may not be very long, but, hey, what's more important, your country or your money?

With that much money, one could easily take a one way ticket to nirvana.  Dafur, that's the place!

i definitely agree with your post.

i think people forget the reason why state lotteries were formed in the first place. lotteries were meant to be ANOTHER FORM OF TAX/ANOTHER SOURCE OF REVENUE for the government to pay for social services.

that has always been the case for thousands of years. first recorded form of a lottery was recorded in china about 4000yrs ago. A warlord devised a lottery similar to today's lottery to raise money to fight his wars.

Grovel's avatarGrovel

10 bucks and no win for me. Let's hope no one wins tonight!

bashley572's avatarbashley572

Quote: Originally posted by Grovel on Jun 2, 2010

10 bucks and no win for me. Let's hope no one wins tonight!

one person from Ohio got it...

Nino224's avatarNino224

There must be some mistake...I didn't win...............how... can this be???

I...I...just don't get it. That money was mine....

DETLotteryPlaye

Won $100 lol

PrisonerSix

I had a hand in 96 tickets and all we won was $10.  Maybe the tickets we bought from that will win.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story