Lottery winner's prize day includes drug arrest

Jun 16, 2010, 11:51 am (26 comments)

Indiana Lottery

Winning ticket may be subject to forfeiture

GARY, Ind. — Monday was a good news-bad news day for Mark Chambers.

The good news is his Indiana "Pick Four" lottery ticket is a winner, worth $2,260.

The bad news is that the ticket was in his pocket when he was arrested for allegedly dealing cocaine.

Sgt. John Jelks of the Gary Narcotics-Vice Unit said his detectives are consulting with prosecutors and the city's forfeiture lawyer to determine if the police department can seize the prize.

Chambers, 20, of 2010 W. 12th Ave., was arrested after detectives completed their fourth buy from Anthony Williams, 41. Investigators followed Williams as he went to obtain the cocaine from Chambers then arrested them both, Jelks said.

Both face charges of dealing cocaine. Chambers is out on bond on a dealing charge filed in April.

Post-Tribune

Comments

billyloco

HILARIOUS!!!  Of course they can claim the prize!!!   Its a decent down payment

on another dope sniffing dog.....LOL!!!!!!!!LOL

US Flag

computerhead723's avatarcomputerhead723

bet  you  he  was  black  they  INVENT  -A - LAW - when   THE  tEA  BAGGER  POLICE   WANT  TO 

KEEP  BLACKS  POOR  ;

WILL  pass  phony  laws  to  steal  your  money ;  I  SAY  IF  YOU  WIN  YOU  WIN  AND  IF  YOUR  ON  CHARGES  THEN  YOU  SERVE  YOUR  PUNISHMENT  BUT  BOTH  -NO-WAY....Mad

Play-girl's avatarPlay-girl

Of Course They're Going 2 Keep It!! They Make The Laws Up As They Go Along. Day By Day & Case By Case! I Agree He Should Go 2 Jail 4 Selling Drugs! But Leave His Lottery Ticket Out Of It!

time*treat's avatartime*treat

They'd have let him keep it, if it were a bill for $2,260. Big criminals going after the little ones.

mjwinsmith's avatarmjwinsmith

Quote: Originally posted by Play-girl on Jun 16, 2010

Of Course They're Going 2 Keep It!! They Make The Laws Up As They Go Along. Day By Day & Case By Case! I Agree He Should Go 2 Jail 4 Selling Drugs! But Leave His Lottery Ticket Out Of It!

Can you imagine if it was a $200,000,000.00 winning Lotto ticket! I agree with you, once convicted of a crime he should serve his time and pay a fine. But the Lottery ticket should be his to keep.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

who says its his ticket?

butch2030's avatarbutch2030

Nice Try, but I don't think this one will fly.

I am sure they had a seach warrant for the drugs & everything else that pertains to drugs.  If he sold drugs from his car, they can take the car.  If he sold drugs from his house, they can take the house.  If they find a large stach of cash that cannot be explained, they can take the cash.  They have to prove that he bought the ticket with drug money, and I don't think this one will hold up in court.  Good Try Won't Fly.  This is what I think.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Hoosier!

BaristaExpress's avatarBaristaExpress

Read that and see what can happen to the dealers that have no other source of income (no job, unemployment check, etc).

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/118340

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Quote: Originally posted by BaristaExpress on Jun 16, 2010

Read that and see what can happen to the dealers that have no other source of income (no job, unemployment check, etc).

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/118340

I miss Rip Snorter's posts. LOL

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Jun 16, 2010

who says its his ticket?

Lottery tickets are "bearer" instruments, when he was arrested it was found on "his" person, "bearer" owns the ticket.

Quote: Originally posted by butch2030 on Jun 16, 2010

I am sure they had a seach warrant for the drugs & everything else that pertains to drugs.  If he sold drugs from his car, they can take the car.  If he sold drugs from his house, they can take the house.  If they find a large stach of cash that cannot be explained, they can take the cash.  They have to prove that he bought the ticket with drug money, and I don't think this one will hold up in court.  Good Try Won't Fly.  This is what I think.

Excellent points.

I Agree!

Czech's avatarCzech

Hang ‘em! It’ll teach ‘em a lesson.

Czech

Wowww......  IMO The Only People Who Should Be Hung Are Pedophiles, Murderers & Rapists!!

Czech's avatarCzech

Quote: Originally posted by Play-girl on Jun 16, 2010

Wowww......  IMO The Only People Who Should Be Hung Are Pedophiles, Murderers & Rapists!!

I wonder if the families of the drug dealer’s customers would agree with you.

Czech

If They're That Weak Minded 2 Let Drugs Destroy Their Family, Then Take The Drugs Away & It Would Be Something Else Destroying It Like *Alcohol* I Agree He Should Go 2 Jail! But "Hang Em" That's A Bit Much! I Digress... In Other News..

Czech's avatarCzech

It’s our society which has digressed.

Drugs don’t only affect the people who use them. Drugs affect, and infect, our entire world. We need to stop enabling people to destroy lives. They take products off the market because they can potentially hurt people, but we look the other way when people use addictive drugs. Alcohol is also a drug.

I wonder if there’s any correlation between the following:

Pedophiles and Drugs

Murderers and Drugs

Rapists and Drugs

Get a rope. Hang ‘em. And hang ‘em high. (No pun intended.)

Czech

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Quote: Originally posted by mjwinsmith on Jun 16, 2010

Lottery tickets are "bearer" instruments, when he was arrested it was found on "his" person, "bearer" owns the ticket.

I can name many a scenario that merely because the ticket is in someones possession does NOT make it theirs. Think about it , in the mean time Savagegoose poses the proper question.

The ticket may be held by the department that captured it, doesnt mean they get to claim it. THe Judge who does the case would decide on the liquidation of assets if found guilty. Even the red handed get a trial before other matters are resolved.

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Jun 17, 2010

I can name many a scenario that merely because the ticket is in someones possession does NOT make it theirs. Think about it , in the mean time Savagegoose poses the proper question.

The ticket may be held by the department that captured it, doesnt mean they get to claim it. THe Judge who does the case would decide on the liquidation of assets if found guilty. Even the red handed get a trial before other matters are resolved.

If and when I buy a lottery ticket it's MINE, I paid for it and it's in my possession. If it wins and I don't sign it and lose it someone can pick it up "SIGN" it and go cash in, again a "BEARER" instrument.

It's now up to me to PROVE that it was mine and that it was loss or stolen if that were the case. If I can't prove that then who ever FOUND the ticket is a happy Lottery winner, case closed.

Let's take an example of that same lottery ticket in my pocket, and say I got caught for drunk driving, Hauled into jail and they took all of my possessions away before they locked me up. Would the state be entitled to the money, no, once I paid the fine and served my jail time I am entitled to get my possessions back including my Lottery ticket. 

master-g

early new york. 007 070 954 080 535 813 6438

luckyshoes's avatarluckyshoes

lol    think he  had already signed his name on the back of it ???   bet  not

JordanT1021's avatarJordanT1021

he should get back his ticket.. the courts will end up paying interest on the winning ticket...

jizzy

that's <snip>ed up any way to gey money uuuh,,,

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by butch2030 on Jun 16, 2010

No, they don't have to prove he bought it with drug money. That's how it should work, but in asset forfeiture cases you're generally guilty until you can prove your innocence. The ticket and other valuable assets are likely to be treated the same way as cash.

Hermanus104's avatarHermanus104

It looks like this man was not making enough money from his drug deals, so he decided to buy a lottery ticket to supplement his income.

tnhope's avatartnhope

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Jun 16, 2010

who says its his ticket?

ha ha you are so right

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story