$237 MILLION: Mega Millions lottery jackpot raised again

Dec 29, 2010, 8:20 am (73 comments)

Mega Millions

New Year's Eve drawing will be huge

By Todd Northrop

Will an incredibly lucky lottery player end 2010 with a life-changing windfall, or will the first jackpot of 2011 be more than a quarter billion dollars? 

We'll find out Friday night, when the $237 million Mega Millions drawing takes place.

Friday's Mega Millions jackpot is the accumulation of 14 consecutive drawings without a top prize winner. The current jackpot run-up started on Nov. 12 as a $12 million grand prize.

The lump-sum cash value stands at a staggering $150.8 million.

Players should note that jackpot amounts are conservative estimates provided by the lotteries, and are often somewhat higher by the time the drawing occurs.  Occasionally, as happened this week, the official jackpot estimate is raised even before the drawing, due to larger-than-expected sales.

In last night's Mega Millions drawing, there was no jackpot winner, but 17 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $250,000 prize: 1 from Arizona, 1 from Arkansas, 2 from California, 1 from Connecticut, 1 from Missouri, 2 from New Jersey, 1 from New York, 3 from Ohio, 2 from Pennsylvania, 1 from Texas, 1 from Vermont, and 1 from Virginia.

The two California winners will each be awarded prizes of $597,869, because California awards all prizes in a pari-mutuel formula, which calculates the prize amount based on the number of tickets sold and the number of winners in each prize category.  Because only two tickets won second prize despite the large sales volume, the payout is larger then normal for the lucky winners.

Following the Tuesday drawing, the Mega Millions annuity jackpot estimate was raised $37 million from its previous amount of $200 million. The cash value was raised by $23.5 million, from its previous amount of $127.3 million.

The next Mega Millions drawing will take place Friday evening — New Year's Eve — at 11:00 pm Eastern Time.

Mega Millions is currently offered for sale in 41 states, plus Washington, D.C.

For a complete set of game descriptions, results, history, and all questions regarding Mega Millions, lottery players are encouraged to visit USA Mega (www.usamega.com), a Web site that caters to the Unites States's two multi-state lottery games, Powerball and Mega Millions.

The Friday night Mega Millions winning numbers will be published at USA Mega minutes after the drawing takes place.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

So ....... now they picked the wrong numbers again ..................

........... and I have to figure out how to spend about $98,000,000 after taxes when I win!

Crazy

It would really be a Happy New Year with a win on Friday!

Party

sully16's avatarsully16

What a great way to bring in the New Year.Hyper

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

Wish I culd play here in FL!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Oh ............ and ............... one ticket with one winner!

Sun Smiley

Abdi's avatarAbdi

It seems that one regular lottery player will walk away with $ 237 Millions! But this attract one question:

What is the highest amount of jackpot money won by a lottery player who play's the Mega Millions?

can anyone answer my question?

N/B if your not sure of the answer pls do not reply to this post.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by B$Rizzle on Dec 29, 2010

Hang on, I hear you will be able to play next week in Florida.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Dec 29, 2010

Hang on, I hear you will be able to play next week in Florida.

Where did you hear that?

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

I hope somebody wins the Mega Millions Jackpot in this upcoming draw.

KSplayer's avatarKSplayer

maybe someone in kansas will finally win the jackpot, i will be buying my ticket and hopeing for a small town girl (me) to win the jackpot.

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Dec 29, 2010

Where did you hear that?

Read it actually.  Wikipedia  had an article about PowerBall in which there was a chart showing PowerBall was in Florida in 2009 and MegaMillion is scheduled to start January 5,2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerball

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

the current cash jackpot record is

$233,000,000 cash , this is what it was 1 draw before that , $164,000,000 cash

see how fast it can fly up in 1 draw at these levels LOL

our current 150m would need 2 more rollovers to set the new world record for the cash jackpot,

when its this high, it does not rain, it pours

if it rolls, and the public see 300m plus Annuity all bets are off, gl guesting the amount ,

, hell, news outlets already starting story's on it

on a side note, Florida  is scheduled to start January 5,2011.? i call bs,  nonething on google new search's about it, florida not even marketing it!

besides, its a know fact people make up stuff on wiki LOL,i dont trust that site, anyone can make up any thing,

even if true, boy does it suck for you florida,  the 5th, hell,  if it gets to the drawing on the 4th, that would be new RECORD setting jackpot ,  its a know fact, once a jackpot hits a world record, the kiss of death is on it, no fing way will it roll anymore

where talking the chances of that  not being won, near 10% to 1% lol   , we be covering a 400m cash jackpot if it rolls 3 times,not just 2 times, it can happen but not 3 more,  if i rolls to the 7th, ever state lottery office will be throwing party's  with money covering the floors  as they roll in it , it be That much money for them

Todd's avatarTodd

Read it actually.  Wikipedia  had an article about PowerBall in which there was a chart showing PowerBall was in Florida in 2009 and MegaMillion is scheduled to start January 5,2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerball

Oh.  Maybe that's right, maybe it isn't.  Whoever updates Wikipedia gets it right only sometimes.  They post a lot of stuff with absolutely no proof or attribution, and remove the stuff that doesn't pan out.

I'm not a big fan of Wikipedia because of that.  I would much rather read information that has a source.  The Lottery Wikipedia topic is just "some guy" who decides to write about the lottery -- not a definitive source.

freeobama's avatarfreeobama

$107 million here after taxes WOW!!! Spend ,Spend,Spend.Party Party Party if i WIN!!!!PartyPuke!

luisM

Well, I don't know who edited that Wikipedia article but it is not correct. I live here in Florida and the Florida Lottery has done no advertising that it will add Mega Millions on January 5, 2011 which is just next week. Hopefully Florida will add Mega Millions but the odds of winning will get worse, the more states that join the MUSL then they change the odds and with Florida being such a populous state and heavy lottery state it will change Mega Millions odds of winning drastically

I Agree! The chances of winning will change drastically!I remember when it was just a 12 state game, here in virginia i had a better chance of winning then, now i just play for fun it is exciting!!Dance

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Oh.  Maybe that's right, maybe it isn't.  Whoever updates Wikipedia gets it right only sometimes.  They post a lot of stuff with absolutely no proof or attribution, and remove the stuff that doesn't pan out.

I'm not a big fan of Wikipedia because of that.  I would much rather read information that has a source.  The Lottery Wikipedia topic is just "some guy" who decides to write about the lottery -- not a definitive source.

I went to Florida website and there's no mention of adding MegaMillons so it's likely the article is incorrect.  When Ohio added PowerBall, it had a flashy notice about it a couple of weeks before it actually started.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by luisM on Dec 29, 2010

Well, I don't know who edited that Wikipedia article but it is not correct. I live here in Florida and the Florida Lottery has done no advertising that it will add Mega Millions on January 5, 2011 which is just next week. Hopefully Florida will add Mega Millions but the odds of winning will get worse, the more states that join the MUSL then they change the odds and with Florida being such a populous state and heavy lottery state it will change Mega Millions odds of winning drastically

When MegaMillions went from 13 states to 40 states the matrix didn't change so the odds of winning didn't change and yet its jackpots are getting as high as they ever did.  The only effects of adding more states have been more winners with jackpots climbing faster.  Adding Florida would just make the jackpots climb even faster.

Todd's avatarTodd

When MegaMillions went from 13 states to 40 states the matrix didn't change so the odds of winning didn't change and yet its jackpots are getting as high as they ever did.  The only effects of adding more states have been more winners with jackpots climbing faster.  Adding Florida would just make the jackpots climb even faster.

I guess that's pretty much true.  Here's the number of jackpot wins for Mega Millions by year:

• 2001 - 11
  • 2002 - 12
  • 2003 - 11
  • 2004 - 11
  • 2005 - 8
  • 2006 - 15
  • 2007 - 9
  • 2008 - 12
  • 2009 - 9
  • 2010 - 13  (perhaps 14th on Friday?)

I dont think the jackpots is getting higher than ever, considering that it have not reached 300 million since the addition of the other states.

LotteryTechInc

We don't need Mega-Millions we got Powerball they had a choice and went  with Powerball it doesn't make sense too  have 2 mega jackpot  games competing against each other like  that FL has PowerBall,FL Lotto,Mega-Money and Fantasy 5 that's  more  than enough JACKPOT games for us here.

luisM

Well when Florida added Powerball, the matrix changed, so I assumed that MM would do the same. If they add MM to Florida w/o changing the odds that would be great!!!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by freeobama on Dec 29, 2010

I dont think the jackpots is getting higher than ever, considering that it have not reached 300 million since the addition of the other states.

I wouldn't expect the jackpots to get higher unless the matrix changed which would also change the odds of winning it.  My point was the jackpots were getting as high as they ever did with a 5/56+1/46 matrix regardless of the number of states added.

LotteryTechInc

Yeah it would but I don't really play Power Ball or  FL Lottery I'm only interested in  Mega-Money,Fantasy 5 ,GA Win For Life and Play 4

How things been looking in 2010 the grass have been much greener playing in N.Y. ODDS tend to fold in that direction!Leaving

luisM

Well, I'm assumming that most people who win the lottery in NY are actually residents of NY City and not NY state. With such a humongous population that NY City has(larger than any other city is the USA), I'm never surprised with the amount of winners NY City has. There must be more lottery terminals per square foot in NY City than anywhere else in the USA.

I Agree!More players=More jackpot winners!Hurray!

N.Y. have a lot of QP jackpot winners i understand they have the majority of players, how is they machines keep spitting out winners. Its not like they are picking their own numbers all the time.Chair

luisM

NY Lottery also has the only "sort of famous" lottery spokesperson : Yolanda Vega!

Madad

I thank all you people for playing the mega and bringing it up to over 200 million. But I will take this money on Friday. But don't worry I will give some back to the communities.

Madad you are welcome even though your odds of winning is much better than mine in Virginia,You will see me on the news monday morning in Richmond collecting your funds!!!Banana

Todd's avatarTodd

I guess that's pretty much true.  Here's the number of jackpot wins for Mega Millions by year:

• 2001 - 11
  • 2002 - 12
  • 2003 - 11
  • 2004 - 11
  • 2005 - 8
  • 2006 - 15
  • 2007 - 9
  • 2008 - 12
  • 2009 - 9
  • 2010 - 13  (perhaps 14th on Friday?)

Although the number of jackpot winners hasn't exactly skyrocketed, I think the years with only 8-11 jackpot wins are over.  That means gone are the days when we see jackpots worth nearly $400 million.  It would have to be a pretty extreme fluke, I would think.

butterflykt's avatarbutterflykt

Quote: Originally posted by ressuccess on Dec 29, 2010

I hope somebody wins the Mega Millions Jackpot in this upcoming draw.

I totally agree with you....as long as it's me Big Smile

luisM

Unfortunately, it's non of us, I'm sure 4 time Lottery Winner Joan Ginther of Texas will win it, LOL!

Unfortunately, it's non of us, I'm sure 4 time Lottery Winner Joan Ginther of Texas will win it, LOL!

I bet she's tired of winning the lottery, so she decided not to play this time LOL

luisM

Get tired of winning? LOL  Somehow I don't think she's tired.  I'll be more than happy to give her my money so that she can play on my behalf, LOL

I Agree! There will be more winners!Party

Get tired of winning? LOL  Somehow I don't think she's tired.  I'll be more than happy to give her my money so that she can play on my behalf, LOL

Great Idea...if only WE had her number LOL

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

$107 million here after taxes WOW!!! Spend ,Spend,Spend.Party Party Party if i WIN!!!!PartyPuke!

Actually ............. after 35% Federal Tax ............... it would be about $98,000,000!

and some don't think that almost $53,000,000 in Federal Taxes is enough!

Stooges  The people that don't think that $53,000,000 is enough in taxes! (Barry, Nana & Harry)

JWBlue

What is the highest cash value jackpot in US lottery history?

$365 million one single ticket sold in Nebraska to 8 co workers at a meat plant in 2006 Powerball.Hyper

dpoly1 after 25% federal taxes and 4% state taxes it will be  $107,210,000 No Pity!remember the cash option is $151 millions.

luisM

Are you guys giving Joan Ginther  free accounting advice when she wins for the 5th time? LOL

Grovel's avatarGrovel

I couldn't think of a better way to end this year then by winning this huge jackpot. I need to go find some bald guy so I can rub his head for luck.

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

Looks like I will be taking a road trip  to GA tomorrow!

luisM

lucky 4 u. I live in South Florida and not near the border. If I lived near the border of 2 states I'd play both lotteries. In fact, a lot of people from Alabama win the lottery in Florida!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Why would she be tired of winning?  Joan Ginther won the grand prize of four lotteries but her total winnings were only $20.4 millions.

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/216670

The winner of the next MegaMillion lottery could win more than six times that amount in cash if they opt not to take the annuity.

LotteryTechInc

I'm 45 min from St.Mary's GA so I play there Win 4  Life game

ttech10's avatarttech10

Quote: Originally posted by Abdi on Dec 29, 2010

It seems that one regular lottery player will walk away with $ 237 Millions! But this attract one question:

What is the highest amount of jackpot money won by a lottery player who play's the Mega Millions?

can anyone answer my question?

N/B if your not sure of the answer pls do not reply to this post.

These are the top 9 jackpots and the current one would be the 10th largest (there was a $230 million winner in Virginia in 2004).

09/16/2005 - $250 Million - New Jersey

05/04/2010 - $266 Million - California

02/28/2006 - $267 Million - Ohio

02/22/2008 - $270 Million - Georgia

07/02/2004 - $294 Million - Massachusetts

11/15/2005 - $315 Million - California

08/31/2007 - $330 Million - Maryland/New Jersey/Texas/Virginia

08/28/2009 - $333 Million - California/New York

03/06/2007 - $390 Million - New Jersey/Georgia

-----------

I actually had a dream that the jackpot was rolling over, so I wasn't so enthusiastic about checking my tickets this morning. To my surprise though I won a whole $2, so I guess I'll be using that towards Friday's drawing. It was kind of upsetting, I had 2 regular numbers on almost all lines except the one I matched the MB in which I had none.

C0w Pi3

It's Delaware's/Pennsylvania's time to win! I'm playing both, maybe even New Jersey, and Maryland :P

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by ttech10 on Dec 29, 2010

These are the top 9 jackpots and the current one would be the 10th largest (there was a $230 million winner in Virginia in 2004).

09/16/2005 - $250 Million - New Jersey

05/04/2010 - $266 Million - California

02/28/2006 - $267 Million - Ohio

02/22/2008 - $270 Million - Georgia

07/02/2004 - $294 Million - Massachusetts

11/15/2005 - $315 Million - California

08/31/2007 - $330 Million - Maryland/New Jersey/Texas/Virginia

08/28/2009 - $333 Million - California/New York

03/06/2007 - $390 Million - New Jersey/Georgia

-----------

I actually had a dream that the jackpot was rolling over, so I wasn't so enthusiastic about checking my tickets this morning. To my surprise though I won a whole $2, so I guess I'll be using that towards Friday's drawing. It was kind of upsetting, I had 2 regular numbers on almost all lines except the one I matched the MB in which I had none.

wow, thats alot of cash...

Colt45ML's avatarColt45ML

Quote: Originally posted by B$Rizzle on Dec 29, 2010

You know good and well that you will be cruising up 95 to the first exit after you hit the Georgia line.  Troll

tg636

I'd like to win, not because I need $100+ million, but as an experiment in how I would handle $100 million and the attendant pressures, temptations, luxuries, beggars, groupies etc that would come with it. Could I get it under a trust and keep it secret?  Would I become like Jack Whitaker and go down the tubes? Or could I keep myself together like Paul Newman, my role model for staying sane, healthy and monogamous despite similarly astounding fame, fortune, talent and good looks? If I quit my job, what would I do with my days, besides hire a beautiful trainer to force me to get in good shape and a personal chef to make sure I eat right? What would it be like to be able to do and go wherever I want, knowing whatever holds me back it isn't financial or lack of vacation time?  What would be the best way to help people, both those I know and charity? There would be a lot to think about.

ttech10's avatarttech10

Quote: Originally posted by tg636 on Dec 29, 2010

I'd like to win, not because I need $100+ million, but as an experiment in how I would handle $100 million and the attendant pressures, temptations, luxuries, beggars, groupies etc that would come with it. Could I get it under a trust and keep it secret?  Would I become like Jack Whitaker and go down the tubes? Or could I keep myself together like Paul Newman, my role model for staying sane, healthy and monogamous despite similarly astounding fame, fortune, talent and good looks? If I quit my job, what would I do with my days, besides hire a beautiful trainer to force me to get in good shape and a personal chef to make sure I eat right? What would it be like to be able to do and go wherever I want, knowing whatever holds me back it isn't financial or lack of vacation time?  What would be the best way to help people, both those I know and charity? There would be a lot to think about.

That's similar to why I'd want to win, but add "having complete financial security and no need to ever work again". Part of me wants to collect the winnings myself to see if I could handle the money and dealing with all the people coming out of the woodwork. I already have ideas as to what I would do to keep myself busy during the days and nights, I just need to win and put those ideas into action. I think I'd make a pretty good and successful winner, it'd be nice to get the chance to prove that.

dingo's avatardingo

Tremendous pressure would fall on the shouder of whoever gonna win this jackpot. If money is mismanaged, disasters follows in. Jack Whittaker is a nice example. Lately, I have beeen thinking about handling this windfall, but I don't think I can handel this.

Seriously, I just want to have moderate house and an easily life. Winning this huge jackpot would be too much for me to handle. I'll let it pass. I'd play Supper Lotto Plus; it's around $21 million now. I am sure the spot light will not on me if I can take home this moderate jackpot, since everyone focuses on the winner of this Mega Millions jackpot. It will be on that winner.

I wish you guys ton of luck.

Hooary play, play play. Life is a big play. I am happy to be a player. Supper lottooooooo +++++.Dance

ttech10's avatarttech10

Whattaker didn't really mismanage the money as much as he just threw all logic out of the window. You just don't carry $200,000 or $545,000 in cash in your car, and especially not to a strip club and you don't give a 17 year old an allowance that's more than most of America's income as well as 4 brand new cars.

Nino224's avatarNino224

Where did you hear that?

It takes a state roughly six months from the time they decide to join to when they start selling tickets.

Jani Norman's avatarJani Norman

Lottery Post shown in background of Good Morning America, while speaking with a supposed big jackpots winner named Richard Lustig and these are the winning numbers he picked on tv for a Good Morning America journalist: was just shown 15 to 20 minutes ago about 7:15-7:20 am eastern time..

7-20-32-45-46 (mega ball 28)

========================================

luisM

Quote: Originally posted by Jani Norman on Dec 30, 2010

Lottery Post shown in background of Good Morning America, while speaking with a supposed big jackpots winner named Richard Lustig and these are the winning numbers he picked on tv for a Good Morning America journalist: was just shown 15 to 20 minutes ago about 7:15-7:20 am eastern time..

Pure BS. If Richard knew what the winning #'s were, trust me, he would use the #'s to win for himself. He's won several Fantasy 5 and Mega Money Jackpots here in FL but never Florida Lotto or Florida Powerball. He has a book which he sells for $40.00 a pop, from which he uses the profits to buy more tickets!

Spare Change

Quote: Originally posted by luisM on Dec 30, 2010

Pure BS. If Richard knew what the winning #'s were, trust me, he would use the #'s to win for himself. He's won several Fantasy 5 and Mega Money Jackpots here in FL but never Florida Lotto or Florida Powerball. He has a book which he sells for $40.00 a pop, from which he uses the profits to buy more tickets!

Si, es verdad, Luis

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

dpoly1 after 25% federal taxes and 4% state taxes it will be  $107,210,000 No Pity!remember the cash option is $151 millions.

They only take 25% you are responsible to pay the remaining 10% to pay the 35% tax rate.

Look it up, the Federal Tax rate is 35% for that kind of money!!!!!!!!!

Someone help me here, I can't be the only person that knows that the Federal Tax Rate is 35%!

Yikes! No Pity!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Jani Norman on Dec 30, 2010

If even 4 of those numbers hit Friday, it could be up setting to MegaMillions as those fortune cookie numbers were to PowerBall a year or so ago.

Thank you dpoly1 for that information about the taxes i did not know that! The winner of the jackpot will still have a great amount of cash after taxes!!!Cheers

TheOtherOne's avatarTheOtherOne

Now it says the JP is 242 million!!! WOW! They raised it another 5.

I saw this on GA's site ... TN has not updated yet; havent checked Mega Millions though

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

tn has jsut updated, , thro tn flash news update sure reads 237 on tn , guest it just got updated, nice catch theotherone

also kentucky lottery has it in their news, Mega Milllions Jackpot is NOW $242 MILLION!
For Friday December 31, 2010, Mega Millions jackpot is NOW $242 million!  Get your tickets today!

so its offical, by them

Cash Option: $154 Million, rofl it went up nearly 4m in cash, their sales must be heavy :D

TheOtherOne's avatarTheOtherOne

Quote: Originally posted by joshuacloak on Dec 30, 2010

tn has jsut updated, , thro tn flash news update sure reads 237 on tn , guest it just got updated, nice catch theotherone

also kentucky lottery has it in their news, Mega Milllions Jackpot is NOW $242 MILLION!
For Friday December 31, 2010, Mega Millions jackpot is NOW $242 million!  Get your tickets today!

so its offical, by them

Cash Option: $154 Million, rofl it went up nearly 4m in cash, their sales must be heavy :D

yea even the mega millions site hasnt update yet. Usa Mega hasnt either.

Wow that is a lot of scratch. Just a fraction of it and I am set.

Good luck everyone!

luisM

Wow. I can't believe they raised it again!  Unfortunately, I'm in Florida and can play. ;-(

luisM

Correction to my previous post. I mean CAN NOT play

JWBlue

The California Lottery website just checked in with a $242,000,000 jackpot.

See Ya!

luisM

Yep, looks like everyone wants to ring in 2011 filthly rich. Actually it's a great way to ring in the new year for whoever the lucky person ends up to be.

APOBABOY

Wowowee !US FlagDance

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I even spent more than $1 on this one & I am very frugal with my money!

Sun SmileyI will be in the sunshine when I get that EFT from the PA Lottery, I am hoping for at least $100 Million!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by luisM on Dec 30, 2010

Wow. I can't believe they raised it again!  Unfortunately, I'm in Florida and can play. ;-(

If you really want to play, take a road trip up to Georgia.  Ohioan use to drive to all the surrounding states for tickets before MegaMillions and PowerBall came to Ohio and once it was shown the neighboring state was making money that Ohio could have been making, the lottery commission sought to bring those games to Ohio.  One of the largest PB win went to a group of workers from Columbus, Ohio who traveled a hundred miles to Indiana for PB tickets regularly when the jackpots got large.

KSplayer's avatarKSplayer

wow sales must be up big time, good luck to everyone but still hoping this small town Kansas girl has the winning numbers!!!!!!!!!!! 

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story