$190M Idaho lottery winner sorts out her new life

Jan 22, 2011, 11:31 am (59 comments)

Mega Millions

RATHDRUM, Idaho — Holly Lahti burst into the spotlight a week ago in a feel-good story about a single mother who won a $190 million Mega Millions jackpot.

Then came the mugshot: a thin young woman with disheveled brown hair, sporting a black eye and cuts and bruises on her face and neck. It turned out she was separated from a man who court records indicated had abused her, and now has a possible claim to some of the money through a quirk in Idaho law.

Lahti, 29, went underground with her two daughters immediately after learning she had won half of a $380 million jackpot in the Jan. 4 drawing. She has not been seen or heard in public since, though she has posted a message to her suddenly large group of Facebook followers.

The mugshot was taken after Lahti and her husband, Josh Lahti, both were arrested during a domestic dispute in 2003. The charges were later dropped, and the couple has long been separated.

Josh Lahti said he did not know Holly had won the lottery until told by a reporter from The Associated Press last week.

"That's awesome! I won't have to pay child support!" he said upon learning his wife was rich.

As it turns out, the husband could be entitled to a chunk of the winnings because he and Lahti never divorced and were never legally separated for that matter. Idaho's murky law on the issue requires a divorce filing to grant separation, which is a key factor in splitting up assets between spouses.

While the lawyers sort out the issue in the months ahead, Holly Lahti can rejoice in the fact that her troubled past has given way to riches beyond her wildest dreams.

She quit her job as a customer service representative for a bank after winning the jackpot, then she asked family and friends not to talk with reporters. She did not appear at the Jan. 12 press conference in Boise in which her good fortune was revealed.

Her Facebook page appears to have been scrubbed of most personal information, other than a couple of messages.

"Don't really know what to say, like the articles said....A 29-year-old mother of two and former bank worker from northern Idaho has claimed the remaining half of a $380 million Mega Millions jackpot. ;)," said one message that cites the lead of an AP article written the day the winnings were announced.

The other Facebook message from her said: "Listen, as you can all imagine, there are a ton of messages coming in, & there is so much to do. Please send 1 message if you have a request or pitch or plea, OR post your kind wishes or requests here on the wall.

"I promise to read them all & even if it takes a month to go through, all of your messages will be acknowledged. Please be patient, & respectful of privacy, don't be rude. Thnx."

In a brief telephone interview, Josh Lahti said the two started dating in high school and got married in 2001.

Holly Lahti still lives in the couple's home in Rathdrum, a town in the Idaho Panhandle. Josh Lahti said he sees his daughters, age 12 and 10, most days.

Her friends are upset at all the attention paid to the decade-old mugshot, and say it does not reflect the devoted and hardworking young mother who has moved on from a troubled marriage.

"She is kind. She is friendly. She is shy," said Jennifer Mayberry, who has lived in the same neighborhood for a decade. "My children play with her children."

Lahti opted Friday to collect her jackpot in a lump-sum payment, instead of annual payments over 25 years. She will get $120 million, which will be reduced to $80.6 million by federal and state taxes.

It will be a dramatic change for a woman who by all indications appeared to be of limited means.

A search of public records revealed that she grew up in California and moved with her parents to Rathdrum, where she graduated from high school. Her marriage appears to have included some violence.

Holly Lahti was arrested and charged with battery in 2003 in Kootenai County, but the prosecutor eventually dismissed the charges. Her husband was arrested on the same charge the same day, and those charges were also dismissed.

In 2003, Josh Lahti was arrested for violating a no-contact order, and that charge was dismissed. He was also charged with second-degree kidnapping, possession of drug paraphernalia, domestic abuse, battery and false imprisonment. All but the kidnapping were dismissed. He was sentenced to 180 days in jail and three years probation.

In 2000, he was charged with domestic violence, but the charge was reduced to disturbing the peace. He was also cited in 2001 for failing to make child support payments.

Does Josh Lahti have a claim to some of the money? A University of Idaho law professor said it is unclear.

Nearly all other states except Idaho have laws that differentiate between separation and divorce, with division of assets clearly defined in each case, said Elizabeth Brandt, professor of family law. The Idaho statute muddles the concept of legal separation, and there is no clear case law on the issue.

But while the lottery winnings are almost certainly community property, Josh Lahti should not expect a huge windfall, Brandt said.

Holly Lahti can still file for divorce, and contend the winnings are all hers because the couple do not live together and do not support each other, Brandt said. A divorce does not automatically produce a 50-50 split of assets.

Holly Lahti could also negotiate a settlement with her husband, she said.

"I can't imagine he will have a significant claim to these earnings in the end," Brandt said.

AP

Comments

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

From the OP:

Holly Lahti could also negotiate a settlement with her husband, she said.

On one of The Lottery Changed My Life episodes one jackpot winner said he had given a few people one millin dollars each and every single one of them blew it all and came back asking for more.

Should see negotiate a settlement with her husband would he be any different?

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Some people have a hard time before they win but the media will call it "Curse of the Lottery".

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

She ought to be really nice to him and set his settlement up so that it comes in the form of weekly payments like a paycheck.  Say he could get paid say 1250.00 per week + taxes and social security. Give him a 2% raise every other year. He might get some incentive to do something with his life.  The weekly pay check will take the strain off.

But if he is a druggie, give him a lump sum and pray he ODs.

JAP69's avatarJAP69

After reading the articlle I do not see where the need was for the reporter to give a rundown on her life history.

Would anyone here wish to have their life history reported if you won? I have too many bones rattling in my closet to have that happen. Hiding Behind Computer Green laugh

temptustoo's avatartemptustoo

LOL   NOW THAT IS FUNNY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big Grin

Starr920

She gets about $80 million after taxes:

-  ($40 million) in trust for kids;

- ($30 million) to spend/invest as she sees fit; 

- ($10 million) to get rid of hubby;

0% to lawyers

Sounds more than fair to me!

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

she shouldnt have to pay out of ex tax money,  the 10 mill to hubby can go pre tax, and he can pay the taxz out of the $10 mill

sully16's avatarsully16

Mr. Lahti is happy he won't have to pay child support? WHAT A LOSER!!!!!!

I hope he doesn't get a dime , and still has to pay child support.

If she does have to give him some money I hope she sues for child support in the same amount.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO BEAT UP A WOMAN,

ON A PERSONAL NOTE, I HOPE HE GOES TO JAIL AND GETS A TASTE OF HIS OWN MEDICINE.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Quote: Originally posted by JAP69 on Jan 22, 2011

After reading the articlle I do not see where the need was for the reporter to give a rundown on her life history.

Would anyone here wish to have their life history reported if you won? I have too many bones rattling in my closet to have that happen. Hiding Behind Computer Green laugh

'Cause that's what they do. "News" has become gossip, the more tawdry the better.

Things you NEED to know, they'll mention well after it's too late to take action.

corius$1918!

He will get some of the money, it would be good if they could reach an agreement without going to court about it.  Since they are not divorced or legally seperated he should recieve some sort of payment as alimony.  I'm not happy about that but we can't have two sets of rules.

Would someone explain to me how do people who are not listed on her facebook page read her messages?

ttech10's avatarttech10

Her Facebook page appears to have been scrubbed of most personal information, other than a couple of messages.

If I were her I'd message my closest friends on Facebook and tell them I'm leaving for a bit, then get the people at Facebook to delete the page. After a few months I would sign back up (with a nickname) and only put limited info, lock it down to just friends and only add those close friends. That way all past history of her page is gone (ie: not in Google cache) and nobody but true, real friends would have access to her page, plus people wouldn't be able to find it because of the security settings and not using her reported name.

I've done a few of those things already, last year I had my page deleted and waited about 4 months before I signed up again with strict settings and only have 40 people added. If I won the most I'd do with it is clear all past wall/status posts and remove the one picture of me so that people can't get a picture of me at all (since in Texas you can claim with "minimal publicity" where they only announce your name with no press pictures).

With how much people accidentally share on places like MySpace and Facebook she definitely made a good decision when she edited her Facebook page.

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Jan 22, 2011

If she does have to give him some money I hope she sues for child support in the same amount.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE, I HOPE HE GOES TO JAIL AND GETS A TASTE OF HIS OWN MEDICINE.

I'm sure some folks can think of a reason...

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/207806

foragoodcause's avatarforagoodcause

I hope the curse will be on the husband.And women you don't have to put up with a loser.

jimjwright's avatarjimjwright

"That's awesome! I won't have to pay child support!" he said upon learning his wife was rich.

I agree with Sully, from the article this is what stood out to me, its not about money its about family.  Any dad that says the above doesn't deserve to be a dad.  The article did say he saw his kids most days so maybe there is hope for him yet.

Jimmy

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by JAP69 on Jan 22, 2011

You may have noticed that I have resisted posting any of the very intrusive stories and photos floating around the news media over the past week, despite many people here egging me on to do it.  I thought this article gave just the right balance, and yes, the background information was essential for the reader to understand the story.  So I believe there was nothing overly-intrusive about this story, and in fact it is helpful.  You may, of course, disagree.

kapla

Here is a BIG mistake

"The other Facebook message from her said: "Listen, as you can all imagine, there are a ton of messages coming in, & there is so much to do. Please send 1 message if you have a request or pitch or plea, OR post your kind wishes or requests here on the wall.

"I promise to read them all & even if it takes a month to go through, all of your messages will be acknowledged. Please be patient, & respectful of privacy, don't be rude. Thnx."

Why would you EVEN put that on FACEBOOK??? I agree with everyone else - DELETE your page and just resign up under another name or use a friends page to talk to people.  She just invited the ENTIRE world to ask her for money!!! Why would you acknowledge anyone, much less EVERYONE?

I guess I don't understand this NEED to put your life on Facebook - Blue Thinking

Pinkpansies's avatarPinkpansies

I heard that the facebook page isn't even hers, that it is just a spoof.  I think that sounds more sensible than the other, but I have been known to be wrong.

kapla

Quote: Originally posted by Pinkpansies on Jan 22, 2011

I heard that the facebook page isn't even hers, that it is just a spoof.  I think that sounds more sensible than the other, but I have been known to be wrong.

That would be an MEAN scam- reply to people who are asking for money and tell them you will deposit money in their account and ask them for their account #!!!

spaconbe2

I spend my money just  like everybody else, and if i win, i won't have to be scared of nobody. All I will need is a bodyguard, and  a 9mm

spaconbe2

The people that really need to win the lottery can't win it. Fuk

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jan 22, 2011

You may have noticed that I have resisted posting any of the very intrusive stories and photos floating around the news media over the past week, despite many people here egging me on to do it.  I thought this article gave just the right balance, and yes, the background information was essential for the reader to understand the story.  So I believe there was nothing overly-intrusive about this story, and in fact it is helpful.  You may, of course, disagree.

Type best case sinario is she gets to walk away and live him in the virtual cold,

worse case sinario is she has to share a given amount with the bum

ethier way the only ones to profit will be the lawyers in the long run

on further thought who gives a BLOODY BLEEP if the facebook page is hers or not

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

I read that too and said to myself "wow what an azzhole"..

Cant believe that was the first thing on his mind

If it was me, the first thing I would say would be "well im happy that my children will be taken care of for life"...

What a d*ck

dphillips's avatardphillips

Coin Toss, even if those people were working (collecting a salary) and putting the money in the bank (and collecting interest), they should not be broke, coming back, and asking for more. Now, depending upon one's circumstances, if he/she lost a job, and depending upon debt analysis, there is a possibility they could live off of $1 million (I guess this is after taxes).

If those people were retired and collecting a pension and social security (depending upon their ages), and having received $1 million dollars, there is no way they should be broke, period. Who in their right mind receive $1 million dollars, spends all of it, and have the audacity to ask for more: friends/relatives/strangers? What gives here?

Finally, depending upon where a person lives and collecting even approximately $33,000 a year is not bad, depending upon personal circumstances, too. Some cities are more expensive than others; some are a little bit cheaper.

naijaman

Amazing how people turn into monsters when money is introduced into the equation.  On one of the "Lottery Changed My Life" shows, the winner Felipe Pena from New Mexico was so upset about how his mother had turned against him after he won the lottery.  He was brought to tears as he talked about he loved his mother so much and how she raised him as a singe mom - now she won't even talk to him because she's upset that he didn't give her more of his lottery winnings.

Smh...

Todd's avatarTodd

I don't understand why people would be surprised that the husband would get a share.  It is very common for estranged husbands to be forced to share their jackpot wins with their wives.  I think I've even posted a story or two over the years about ex-wives getting a cut.

Frankly, if the woman was living AS a single mom, she should have made it official years ago and divorced him.  (Or vice-versa for him.)  She's probably kicking herself now that she didn't do it, but heck, those are the laws.

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

they have 2 kid daughters, and sense he gets to see them often, am sure family peaceful and civil before the win

,     if he tryed to flatout steal half her winnings, am sure their be bad blood with the kids,  knowing their dad ripoffed their mom,

so am guesting out of love of the kids, dad won't get greedy, logic says keep the peace,

he may even  get a few million just to shut him up no doubt, but we never know, as their keeping their mouths shut, its just a shame she could of not claimed in a trust, and avoided the media world

i know i be happy for my kids knowing their set for life must likly

also to "I do not see where the need was for the reporter to give a rundown on her life history."

fyi, people only Have Them Selfs to blame for any and all Media they get,  she could of claimed by having lawyers create legel entity's , hide behind the lawyer being the public face

But Nooooooooo, nearly everyone has to do it the hard way!,   if anything, todd being to nice to them, as must media are,  anyone who want's piracy atfer a major jackpot win can get it, its called Not claiming it your self,  not making your name open to the public, geez

the fact stands, she had a mug shot with a black eye was in fact  a public record!

, she was a major winner with her name out in public, ofc the media going to find all legal issue's she had with the law ,  their a site called the smoking gun, they Just spit out images of dumb crimals and other idiots getting arrested with full police report for our lolz,   attempting to elude the media  will fail the SEC they get your name

Don't you Ever Dare bash reporters for doing their job

,  fact is meda gets paid to get dirt on people,    no one forced the winners to claim out in the open, they packed Not to use a trust etc,  all future winners and past winners only have them selfs to blame , for any bad press they get reporting on their life details and runs in with the law

,    the best winner  , is the winner  that hides in cloaking field called a trust or other legal entity with the lawyer being the face to the public,

she no doubt has a lawyer she paying, why she didn't make the lawyer, or packed a better one, to set up a trust is beyond me,

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Tonite is a great time for me to win ................

............ everyone is interested in Holly and won't worry about my little take home of about $38 Million(after Fed Taxes)!Sun Smiley

and I already know to stay away from the woodwork ................. because everyone comes out of the woodwork to ask for money when you win! Thumbs Up

Grey Violet 2011 Bentley Continental Supersorts - Pittsburgh PA - SCBCU7ZA8BC066953 (3) is this car too conspicuous ?

I hope Holly's "hubby" doesn't get anything! If he is happy that he doesn't have to pay child support; then that should be his "share"!

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

don't it seen uncanny,that when there is two winners, it's always a quick pick and the 2nd winner is their picks. can there be two quick picks of the same numbers in lottery drawings somewhere..just wandering about this..

freeobama's avatarfreeobama

Maybe Holly and Chris Shaw who won the $258 million dollar Powerball can hook up for a nite on the town. He was missing teeth and she had a black eye i think they have the right chemistry,not to mention they are the same age 29 and rich now!See Ya!

dphillips,

Coin Toss, even if those people were working (collecting a salary) and putting the money in the bank (and collecting interest), they should not be broke, coming back, and asking for more. 

The thiniking is, "Hey you won millions, give me another one" (million). Since the million given to these people was a gift completely out of "nowhere" and they didn't have to do anything for it that probably made it easier to blow it all.

I guess we could say peole who are given a gift like that and especialy such an amount aren't thinking about banks or interest.

rundown99's avatarrundown99

She should have divorced him, and she should have played the lottery in a state that allows anonymity.  After the lawyers, the estranged husband, greedy family members, and greedy relatives get a piece of the pie, she will wish that she never bought that ticket.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC

Quote: Originally posted by rundown99 on Jan 23, 2011

She should have divorced him, and she should have played the lottery in a state that allows anonymity.  After the lawyers, the estranged husband, greedy family members, and greedy relatives get a piece of the pie, she will wish that she never bought that ticket.

Woman wins.

Get a D-I-V-O-R-S-E and Full custody of the kids.  Split the winnings 50/50, Make the hubby set up

a trust for the kids out of his half, at least 50%.  Make the hubby pay Child support based on his

new winfall.  Get as much maintence as you can also based on his new winfall.  Put all your money

in something that will provide a nice return.  Live off his half until it is gone and then then run off

with his worst enemy and live happly ever after.  Don't forget to run over his mailbox and drop his

hound Dog off at the animal shelter to be put down and poision his favorite fishing hole your way

out of town.

Man wins

Give her half, put some up for the kids, buy a good used pickup and some new fishing lures.  Let old

Joe ride up front on the way to the fishing hole. 

RL

zerxfi

Quote: Originally posted by rundown99 on Jan 23, 2011

Would you drive to another state that allows anonymity just to play the lotto with absolutely no guarantee you're going to win? Get real.

Worst case scenario, the court orders her to give half the money to her estranged husband. She'll still have around 40 or 30 million after taxes and lawyers fees. All she has to do next is say, "no" to any loser who begs her for money. Sure beats driving to work in freezing cold northern Idaho and then spending 8 mind numbing hours a day as a customer service rep at the bank.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on Jan 22, 2011

I'm sure some folks can think of a reason...

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/207806

dee moore is a cold blooded killer,who deserves the electric chair, not the same as a husband beating the snot out of wife cause dinners late. I'm not saying she's an innocent lamb , ya just shouldn't use the people you say you love as a punching bag.

I noticed somebody won the powerball for $118 million in New York last night. Is it my imagination or is New york the Luckiest place on earth!!Thud

dopey7719's avatardopey7719

This should be a lesson to all of the lazy people that for whatever reason, never fill out divorce papers.  They leave each other, but neither one files for divorce or a legal separation. 

I work for a county office and believe me, there are a lot of married people around living as though they are single.  In their minds they are single, but legally they are not. 

I've heard excuses such as it costs too much and "they" should pay for it, not me OR I just forgot all about it. 

Just because you haven't lived together for years, does not make you automatically divorced.  Geez people....file the darn papers or suffer the consequences!

Quote: Originally posted by dopey7719 on Jan 23, 2011

This should be a lesson to all of the lazy people that for whatever reason, never fill out divorce papers.  They leave each other, but neither one files for divorce or a legal separation. 

I work for a county office and believe me, there are a lot of married people around living as though they are single.  In their minds they are single, but legally they are not. 

I've heard excuses such as it costs too much and "they" should pay for it, not me OR I just forgot all about it. 

Just because you haven't lived together for years, does not make you automatically divorced.  Geez people....file the darn papers or suffer the consequences!

I Agree!

I Love playing Mega Millions and Powerball, However i am tired of funding New York state. That state win every other enormous jackpot  it is not fair!!!Evil

I am so happy for this woman.  Working in customer service is NO FUN....I just hope everything turns out okay for her and the kids.  I'd hate for her to become one of the lottery horror stories.  I know that's what everyone is thinking...but maybe she will fool everyone.  Maybe.....

CutlassBob's avatarCutlassBob

I agree with you 100% Sully.

This arsehole creep does not deserve a dime of the young lady's winnings.

Bottom Line!

Kidzmom's avatarKidzmom

Quote: Originally posted by corius$1918! on Jan 22, 2011

He will get some of the money, it would be good if they could reach an agreement without going to court about it.  Since they are not divorced or legally seperated he should recieve some sort of payment as alimony.  I'm not happy about that but we can't have two sets of rules.

Would someone explain to me how do people who are not listed on her facebook page read her messages?

They can't see her inbox messages, they can only see her wall messages.  And because she don't have her FB wall page or message box set to private, anyone can send her a private message.  Once she sets those to only friends, then she won't get any messages from strangers.

Kidzmom's avatarKidzmom

Quote: Originally posted by freeobama on Jan 23, 2011

I noticed somebody won the powerball for $118 million in New York last night. Is it my imagination or is New york the Luckiest place on earth!!Thud

So much revenue coming in but can't seem to get the city cleaned after a snow storm...What?

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

I Love playing Mega Millions and Powerball, However i am tired of funding New York state. That state win every other enormous jackpot  it is not fair!!!Evil

I Agree! I was thinking the same thing freeobama

Oh boo hoo, boo hoo, "It's always NY", "I'm getting tired of funding NY".

From the Powerball website winners page:

2010 17 Jackpots hit, 1 in NY

2009  13 Jackpots, none in NY

2008  11 Jackpots, none in NY

Looks like PB didn't go into NY until 2010 and MM does show a few NY's, but it's not "always" NY.

Can anyone tell me which state has won the most powerball/mega millions jackpot?  I'm just curious.

Artemis's avatarArtemis

This isn't Holly's FB page. It was created by a guy Cole Bartiromo who has a history of fraud. He has since removed his website link from her FAKE page, but he has posted a bunch of screenshots there of the pleas/requests people have sent, meant for Holly. I think this is very cruel, considering some of these people are in sincere need.

From his own FB page -  "This is crazy interesting to see if this experiment I'm doing gets her page 5,000 friend requests within 24 hours. So far 100 friend requests, & 30 requests for $, to help with a movie script, a church, etc. It's redic!"

Loser Mad

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Here is where the courts can work in her favor.

Scenario A: THe court ordered the support. That would only happen if she summoned the father to court and showed proof of separate living conditions. A Court cant order a married couple to pay child support DUH!!!

Scenario B: She took the child support money privately and never went thru the courts. This leaves open for taxes on this private funds received.How did they both file their taxes.....? That too will carry bearing on whether she be forced to share some winnings....

Way too many facts not being shared in order to make legal summations....

Secondly child support ISNT by law for the child. Its for the custodial parent. So the guy makes a good point. She has her cash now, so technically he need'nt provide for her under the guise of "child support". They are both adults and can make their own living. Neither owes the other anything. Case closed.

May she be blessed with freedom from the past and Hope for her and the children in the future.

petergrfn

I AGREE!  I knew this would happen when they both started to introduce the high population states into MM and Powerball a few years ago.  It was all BS about there would be large jackpots more frequently and a $500 million dollar jackpot...Neither has happened and probably barring a great coincidence never will.   It was about adding players and more money to state coffers thats it!  If New York doesn't win a large jackpot it's California winning I get tired of it myself....But it will all be behind me one day when the big one is hit by ME!!  Jack-in-the-Box

BumSoo13

I thought I read somewhere she was living with here mother or mother was staying with her. Anyhow if they are real close I would give the ticket to her and that should keep it away from him

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

yeah the UK  separated couple was  10 years and she left him for another man. she still got an out of court settlement for a few mill euro.

i guess it will just have to be upto the lawyers, and she has to think how little will he settle for here and now, and not wait for  the judgement.  and offer that. hopeing he takes an out of court settle ment. 

whats the saying whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

if ex wives can be all grabby and sue for  half, then ex hubbies can too.  we all agree he sounds like  a jerk. but hey thats life sometimes jerks get a break

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Jan 23, 2011

Here is where the courts can work in her favor.

Scenario A: THe court ordered the support. That would only happen if she summoned the father to court and showed proof of separate living conditions. A Court cant order a married couple to pay child support DUH!!!

Scenario B: She took the child support money privately and never went thru the courts. This leaves open for taxes on this private funds received.How did they both file their taxes.....? That too will carry bearing on whether she be forced to share some winnings....

Way too many facts not being shared in order to make legal summations....

Secondly child support ISNT by law for the child. Its for the custodial parent. So the guy makes a good point. She has her cash now, so technically he need'nt provide for her under the guise of "child support". They are both adults and can make their own living. Neither owes the other anything. Case closed.

May she be blessed with freedom from the past and Hope for her and the children in the future.

Yeah. Thing is too many people want to use family court for revenge against men. They see this guy as a villain and want to "make him pay", and want the laws to bend to their emotions.

When a similar story comes along in the future, but the father is the custodial parent, you'll see a totally different general sentiment about splitting the winnings.

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Jan 23, 2011

Looks like PB didn't go into NY until 2010 and MM does show a few NY's, but it's not "always" NY.

I am not here to hate the state of NY, however how many jackpots have the state of New York won since the the beginning of Mega millions with the 2 straight powerball jackpot wins????? compared to the rest of the country???? It do not take a mathematician to do the math!!Hyper

rundown99's avatarrundown99

Quote: Originally posted by zerxfi on Jan 23, 2011

Would you drive to another state that allows anonymity just to play the lotto with absolutely no guarantee you're going to win? Get real.

Worst case scenario, the court orders her to give half the money to her estranged husband. She'll still have around 40 or 30 million after taxes and lawyers fees. All she has to do next is say, "no" to any loser who begs her for money. Sure beats driving to work in freezing cold northern Idaho and then spending 8 mind numbing hours a day as a customer service rep at the bank.

You have a good point.  With those kinds of odds, there is no guarantee that you will win anything.  But there is no guarantee that you will win even if you play in the state you live in.   But I would rather fly to an anonymous state once a year and buy a lot of tickets than have millions of people run after me after a news conference.  Honestly, I would rather not win a lottery and work two jobs and live a normal life than win a jackpot and be used by greedy family members, long lost relatives, manipulative businessmen, and golddigging girlfriends/wives.  That's why most lottery winners lose it all in 5 years!!!  But you don't hear complaints from jackpot winners from Delaware, North Dakota, Kansas, Maryland, or Ohio.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on Jan 24, 2011

Yeah. Thing is too many people want to use family court for revenge against men. They see this guy as a villain and want to "make him pay", and want the laws to bend to their emotions.

When a similar story comes along in the future, but the father is the custodial parent, you'll see a totally different general sentiment about splitting the winnings.

I agree. I totally get the guys response and it may have been a knee jerk response to recite yet nonetheless it bears some truth...why shouldnt he feel relief in some ways...How is he a jerk if he was paying all along?? Sorry but we are missing the big picture here.....

ANyways, as someone suggested , giving the ticket to the mother or an entrusting relative would have probably been the wiser choice. Plus who in their right mind quits there job just days after winning??? You dont get the money immediately....Sorry but that was an irrational thing to do without the cash in hand.

zerxfi

Quote: Originally posted by rundown99 on Jan 24, 2011

You have a good point.  With those kinds of odds, there is no guarantee that you will win anything.  But there is no guarantee that you will win even if you play in the state you live in.   But I would rather fly to an anonymous state once a year and buy a lot of tickets than have millions of people run after me after a news conference.  Honestly, I would rather not win a lottery and work two jobs and live a normal life than win a jackpot and be used by greedy family members, long lost relatives, manipulative businessmen, and golddigging girlfriends/wives.  That's why most lottery winners lose it all in 5 years!!!  But you don't hear complaints from jackpot winners from Delaware, North Dakota, Kansas, Maryland, or Ohio.

everyone is different I guess. I'd probably just wear a t-shirt with the word, "NO" printed in large red letters 24/7. If people aren't going to like me for not giving them a free ride, I don't want to be friends with them anyway.

Just got my Mega Millions tickets for tonite. It will be a honor to have $27,690,000 deposited into my account after taxes!! Never know.Dance

waltoy's avatarwaltoy

He is smiling now, he getting pay for mistreating her, darn these laws, he should get NOTHING,

that's  the reason why  we should be carefull how we treat people, because we never know,  what  life hold for them,

if he was  a good husband he would of get his share freely!!!!!

butterflykt's avatarbutterflykt

I think this is going to be a nasty one.....Sad

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story