Maryland Lottery Pick 4 drawing generates huge payout

Feb 28, 2011, 8:51 pm (37 comments)

Maryland Lottery

2,800 Maryland lottery players hit 4-4-4-4 combination

by Todd Northrop

BALTIMORE, Md. — Players of the Maryland Lottery's Pick 4 game hit a grand slam of sorts this weekend, and a payout record was tied in the process.

Lottery officials said Saturday's 4-4-4-4 drawing in the Pick 4 game paid out $7 million, which was the state's record for daily games.

The drawing took in about $458,000 in sales. Officials said 2,800 players had the winning numbers.

"While players fare well when Pick 4 drawings result in four-of-a-kind, payouts for the game often top the charts as the Lottery incurs its maximum liability of $7 million," the Lottery said in a news release.

All Maryland Pick 3 and Pick 4 lottery drawings are published at Lottery Post's Maryland Lottery Results page within minutes of the drawing.

Pick 3 and Pick 4 drawings happen seven days per week at approximately 12:30 p.m. for the midday draw and at around 8:00 p.m for the evening draw.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

luisM

Let's all play 4-4-4-4 and see what happens. If we can take back the money the lottery has taken from us we should do it.

flat creek*kid

wow, there is 2,800 merry people in maryland.   congrats to everyone.

Litebets27's avatarLitebets27

This surprises me. I didn't think MDSL allowed that many people play a particular Quad before the number is sold out.

TheOtherOne's avatarTheOtherOne

Maybe other states will release a quad now?

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

I did a quick calculation if the max payout of $7 million to all 2800 players,comes out to $2,500 per ticket. "WOW"Cheers

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to all the winners, I wonder how many people had more than 1 ticket?

eve128

Great going 2 all the Maryland Lottery Players

That got the quad pot of gold

EvelynHurray!

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by Litebets27 on Feb 28, 2011

This surprises me. I didn't think MDSL allowed that many people play a particular Quad before the number is sold out.

The articles says the MD lottery has a cap of $7 million on its liability for P4. Apparently they don't cap sales.

four4me

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Mar 1, 2011

The articles says the MD lottery has a cap of $7 million on its liability for P4. Apparently they don't cap sales.

That figure was for all the pick 4's combined. What state would cap sales duh! none!

four4me

Quote: Originally posted by Litebets27 on Feb 28, 2011

It's been that way for a while but every now and then they let people buy more than the 7 million payout cap.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congrats....to all the Maryland Pick 4 winners!!!!!!Hurray!Hurray!

CutlassBob's avatarCutlassBob

Excellent number selection Maryland!! Enjoy your winfall playerz...Cheers

Look-out for our quad here in MI. Personally i've been hittin' the two's for a few days now.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

and there will plenty of taxes to pay !

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

Quote: Originally posted by four4me on Mar 1, 2011

That figure was for all the pick 4's combined. What state would cap sales duh! none!

Just curious.....Don't they cap sales at $7 Million for each #?

For example once they have sold $7 Million worth of prize payouts on 4444, then the sales for that # would stop and playing would not be able to buy anymore 4444 picks???

In FL I believe they cap sales at $5 Million liability on #'s

Empress-N's avatarEmpress-N

I sure do hope some of my LP Family caught this hot hit from the Scorpio's zodiac Power Numbers list.

Congratulations to all the winners.

ameriken

While this is great that everyone was able to get paid on this pick 4, this goes to show how many people play what they think are magical combinations, like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 1, 11, 21, 31, 41, 51, or as in this game, 4, 4, 4, 4. There's probably many thousands more playing  the other numbers in the same manner.

Gail Howard warns against playing such combinations in the big JP games because you could have 2500 people all thinking they've won millions and millions of dollars, and ending up splitting it for perhaps a a few thousand dollars each.

Quote: Originally posted by ameriken on Mar 1, 2011

While this is great that everyone was able to get paid on this pick 4, this goes to show how many people play what they think are magical combinations, like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 1, 11, 21, 31, 41, 51, or as in this game, 4, 4, 4, 4. There's probably many thousands more playing  the other numbers in the same manner.

Gail Howard warns against playing such combinations in the big JP games because you could have 2500 people all thinking they've won millions and millions of dollars, and ending up splitting it for perhaps a a few thousand dollars each.

I agree with you.

I think the main reason people play the "easy" picks is because either they are lazy, or just because they are easy to remember.

There are tons of people who pick 1-2-3-4-5 in a pick 5 game, just because its easy to remember. First of all, the chances of one of those combos hitting is astrinomical. Second, like you mentioned, soooooo many people play those "easy" sets of numbers making teh jackpot split multiple ways.

luisM

I'm not sure who Gail Howard is, but this is very true as long as its a pari-mutuel game. Not true for Pick 4 or Pick 3 games.

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

I'm stunned that Maryland had their pick 4 game is 4-4-4-4. I had put on all states predictions Todd.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

When more than 100 players matched 5+0 in PowerBall a couple of years ago playing the same numbers from a fortune cookie, I don't remember any of them complaining about having played the same numbers others played.  As I see it, it's better to share a jackpot than to share nothing which many lottery players do every drawing regardless of the numbers they play.

four4me

Quote: Originally posted by B$Rizzle on Mar 1, 2011

Just curious.....Don't they cap sales at $7 Million for each #?

For example once they have sold $7 Million worth of prize payouts on 4444, then the sales for that # would stop and playing would not be able to buy anymore 4444 picks???

In FL I believe they cap sales at $5 Million liability on #'s

correct 7 mil is the cap.

but you could still buy other numbers until they reached a cap amount.

What they don't tell people is on any given day mostly weekends all the triples and quads are sold out as well as certain other numbers like 1212    2011 etc.

ttech10's avatarttech10

I agree with you.

I think the main reason people play the "easy" picks is because either they are lazy, or just because they are easy to remember.

There are tons of people who pick 1-2-3-4-5 in a pick 5 game, just because its easy to remember. First of all, the chances of one of those combos hitting is astrinomical. Second, like you mentioned, soooooo many people play those "easy" sets of numbers making teh jackpot split multiple ways.

Wouldn't the odds of 1-2-3-4-5 the same as 2-14-23-27-33, though? I mean each number has the same chance of hitting as the next.

TGOOD7's avatarTGOOD7

wow,thats great,time for texas.

dphillips's avatardphillips

Wow, just in time for tax season, too.  For some people, they will be getting money back; for others, they will have to pay.  Let us hope their taxes even out; receiving more money in addition to the money they won.  Oh, well, some people have all the luck!

Quote: Originally posted by ttech10 on Mar 1, 2011

Wouldn't the odds of 1-2-3-4-5 the same as 2-14-23-27-33, though? I mean each number has the same chance of hitting as the next.

Yes very true, however the odds of all 5 in a row arent appealing to me.

I dont believe any pick 5 game in history has ever hit 5 in a row. Although the odds are the same, I wouldnt pick them for the sole reason many many other people do.

Just my opinion.

Lucki723

The District office is going to be full the next few Days !!

Congrats to all the winners !!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Lucki723 on Mar 1, 2011

The District office is going to be full the next few Days !!

Congrats to all the winners !!!!

Those cashing up tp $5000.00, can cash at super agents which are found in many communities. Anything larger than $5000.00 must go to one of the two main offices.  The office in Baltimore is such a small office. I hope all of the winners don't try to crowed in there all at once.

Funny you posted this. Take a look at the Georgia pick5 tonight....43021...Thud

Boney526's avatarBoney526

Yes very true, however the odds of all 5 in a row arent appealing to me.

I dont believe any pick 5 game in history has ever hit 5 in a row. Although the odds are the same, I wouldnt pick them for the sole reason many many other people do.

Just my opinion.

Pennsylvania's Treasure Hunt had 1-2-3-4-5 as a draw last year.  I was looking through their history and saw it.  Although 1) This isn't a ball draw game - so make what you want of that 2) the game has a field of 30 numbers to pick from, so the odds aren't as astronical.  3) 49 people split the Jackpot, for like 1200 or 2500 dollars each or something.

BTW: As far as I know, you don't pay taxes on a lottery win that is less than $5000, if your state doesn't tax it.

Quote: Originally posted by Boney526 on Mar 1, 2011

Pennsylvania's Treasure Hunt had 1-2-3-4-5 as a draw last year.  I was looking through their history and saw it.  Although 1) This isn't a ball draw game - so make what you want of that 2) the game has a field of 30 numbers to pick from, so the odds aren't as astronical.  3) 49 people split the Jackpot, for like 1200 or 2500 dollars each or something.

BTW: As far as I know, you don't pay taxes on a lottery win that is less than $5000, if your state doesn't tax it.

Maryland lottery winners pay tax on winnings greater than $600.00. Believe me...it's not fun.

Boney526's avatarBoney526

Quote: Originally posted by Litebets27 on Mar 1, 2011

Maryland lottery winners pay tax on winnings greater than $600.00. Believe me...it's not fun.

Dang.  I hate that.  Lotteries shouldn't be taxed.  It's like saying, "Let's put a tax on property tax" so you have to pay your property taxes, and then an extra tax for paying your tax.

Bleh, it's not like people care about common sense principled government.  They just want a million and a half social programs, and don't care how they're funded or how in-effecient they are.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

yeah the odds of 12345 and your set coming out are the same.

but are the odds the same for 100 people to play 2 14 23 27 33 on the same day in the same draw as 1 2 3 4 5 ?

jarasan's avatarjarasan

The tax will be reported for 2011,  the winners will receive w2-Gs in the mail in a couple of weeks after claiming, hold on to it for next years taxes...................you can deduct gambling wagers 2011 up to the amount won on next year's tax return........................................save your losing tickets as receipts God forbid they audit you.

ScaredTAX TIME!

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Mar 1, 2011

yeah the odds of 12345 and your set coming out are the same.

but are the odds the same for 100 people to play 2 14 23 27 33 on the same day in the same draw as 1 2 3 4 5 ?

Thats exactly the point I was making.

Many of the people who pick the "easy" numbers such as 1-2-3-4-5 will end up splitting it with many people if it hits. If those same people just picked a different set (2-14-23-27-33) for example, they would be splitting it with many less people.

That was my point. The odds are indeed the same across the board, but if you are going to play the same #s every day, why not pick a more unique set?

Thats why they are not appealing to me

hsvscubaski

What would the payout been if not capped?

four4me

Quote: Originally posted by hsvscubaski on Mar 2, 2011

What would the payout been if not capped?

payouts regardless of the cap are 5000.00 for a buck and  2500 for a 50 cent bet our pick 3 and 4 games are not parimutuel.

Gleno's avatarGleno

Maryland's pick four is not a paramutual type of game for it to have to pay out $7 Million.

Thought all games were based on the amount of proceeds the game took in divided by the number of winning tickets sold. Learn something new everyday.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story