Should lottery winners share with colleagues?

Apr 3, 2011, 7:08 am (52 comments)

Editorial / Opinion

By Jason Marsh

If you won $19 million, would you share it with your co-workers?

That's the question seven lucky New York state employees arereportedly contemplating after claiming the huge Mega Millions lottery jackpot Thursday. For years, the so-called "Albany Seven" have pooled their money to buy lottery tickets together.

Now that their numbers have come up, they are in a position to share their winnings with five colleagues who had been part of the pool in the past but didn't pitch in this time around.

The idea of sharing a multimillion dollar windfall such as this might seem ludicrous. It surely goes against some longstanding notions we have about human behavior, namely that it's guided by self-interest.

But a recent wave of scientific research suggests it's not such a crazy idea after all. In fact, giving away a portion of their winnings might be a surer route to happiness for the Albany Seven than keeping it all for themselves.

Many psychological studies have found that after our basic needs are met, more money does not necessarily bring us more happiness; it might even impair our ability to enjoy positive experiences in life. What's more, research has shown that lottery winners are no happier than the rest of us, and they get less pleasure from everyday activities.

On the flip side, though, there's a growing body of evidence that people feel a genuine boost of pleasure and happiness when they give to others. Altruism activates the same regions of the brain that light up when we have sex, eat chocolate or indulge in other pleasures, according to scientists at the National Institutes of Health. Some research even suggests we feel more happiness when we spend on others than when we spend on ourselves.

Even if they're not aware of these findings, there could be other factors that cause the Albany Seven to share their winnings with their less lucky colleagues.

For one thing, people are significantly more likely to show altruism toward members of their own "group" or "team," perhaps because we identify with members of our own group more than others, and there's a greater chance we'll count on them to return the favor down the line. Co-workers are a good example of such a team, especially in this case, where co-workers pooled their money on the same lottery "team" for years.

Generosity also stems from our deeply rooted sense of fairness. Though we often lament humans' selfishness, a great deal of research shows that we're often willing to share a prize with others, especially when there's reason to believe they deserve at least part of that prize.

This is true even among young children. In a recent study out of Harvard, pairs of 3-year-old kids had to work together to obtain a prize, but only one of the two kids on each team actually got his or her hands on it. Still, that prize winner was overwhelmingly likely to share the prize with the partner, even though he or she didn't have to do so.

These kids seemed guided by a strong, perhaps innate, drive toward fairness and cooperation. Deep down, they knew they should share their spoils — and the Albany Seven might be influenced by the same magnanimous impulses.

But this doesn't mean that they will be. There are definitely some psychological forces working in the opposite direction. For example, in general, research shows that people (incorrectly) assume more money — and more spending on themselves — will make them happier. And research also shows that when we receive an unexpected gift, we often rationalize our good fortune by telling ourselves that we somehow deserve it.

But studies also suggest this way of thinking is a quick ticket to unhappiness. Instead, they show that people are significantly happier when they practice gratitude — when they recognize and appreciate that the gifts they receive in life come from outside themselves, whether through the help of other people, a higher power or plain dumb luck.

Albany Seven, take note: Grateful people are happier, enjoy better health and have stronger relationships.

And what better way to appreciate a gift than to pay it forward?

Jason Marsh is the editor-in-chief of Greater Good, the online magazine published by the Greater Good Science Center at the University of California, Berkeley. He's also a co-editor of the books "The Compassionate Instinct: The Science of Human Goodness" and "Are We Born Racist? New Insights from Neuroscience and Positive Psychology."

CNN

Comments

liberal47's avatarliberal47

When I was running the office lottery pool, I took an event such as this into account. In the agreement which I drew up, I specified that if the player had joined into the money pool on the previous drawing, and did not make the deadline for the current drawing, they had until the date of the following drawing to pay for that drawing that was missed. This was done in case of illness, injury, or just plain forgetfulness. It was also done for situations such as the one facing the New York Seven. I didn't want to faced with the moral dilema and drama that they are facing. What would happen if they decided to give money to one or two of the people who did not join in, and not the rest. I could see lawsuits popping up like mushrooms.  Rules are rules and the people who did not play made the decision not to. They took a chance and blew it. If the members of the winning group feel sorry for them and want to give a share to them, it would have to be a unanimous decision.

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Wow I really hope they are not actually thinking this. I play the lotto on a regular basis and if one day I didn't play for whatever reason, and my numbers hit, does that mean I should have a share of the jackpot? Nope that would be my own darn fault!

sully16's avatarsully16

Would I share a jackpot that no one else chipped in for ? no , I would however give money and gifts to people I care about. If I did win a million dollar jackpot it would be kept very quiet.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

If any thing I would give the max that you can give tax free.... I believe it's $12,000 or $13,000.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

$19M is a lot of money and I am not a greedy man. I would give money to the guys who didnt participate in that drawing if their resons were genuine.

Stinking attitudes like "I don't feel lucky" or "lottery is a waste of money" would disqualify somebody from my generosity. However if somebody was low on cash or away from the office then sure, I'm giving them $25,000

If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all and you will never make enemies.

BaristaExpress's avatarBaristaExpress

Now if someone who plays all the time and not just once in a while and they were sick or on vacation maybe they would be considered apart of the winning group!

But anything other than that the saying goes as follows "No Pay, No Play, No Payday" that's the way the cookie crumbles!

st.germain's avatarst.germain

Hell no......they dediced not to play because they didn't feel like they would win so .... ,.NO> what part don't you understand..the N or the O?

JAP69's avatarJAP69

This dilemma is why lottery pools stink.

If this office lottery pool has been going for years what about previous pool members that are no longer in that office? They have previously put money in that office pool.

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

No one deserves nothing who doesn't shake loose with some dough for the drawing !  period.

The winners will be giving up enough amongst close family and friends.I finally just got the person who runs our pool to keep a meticulous list of who paid..not who had good intentions.

mpat69's avatarmpat69

I live in Washington State. At the time I ran a Pool, it was for POWERBALL only because we had Megamillions at that time. I would drive down to Oregon and buy tickets for Powerball. I would buy some just for myself, along with the pool tickets. For each drawing, each person that played for that specific drawing would sign a contract I made up. If you did not sign, that meant you did not pay and would not get anything if we did win. The contract also stated that I bought tickets of my own and if they won, the group would not share in those. I ensured that by making copies of the tickets we played with in the pool and gave them out to those playing. Along with a copy of the contract. Now that Washington State has both drawings, I have not done any pools at all.

Piaceri

This is why I don't do pools. Winning a jackpot is enough stress in itself, but to add the stress of being concerned and possibly feeling guilty because so-and-so two cubicles down made the personal decision to sit out the pool that drawing...  I'm just not willing to do that.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Apr 3, 2011

This is why I don't do pools. Winning a jackpot is enough stress in itself, but to add the stress of being concerned and possibly feeling guilty because so-and-so two cubicles down made the personal decision to sit out the pool that drawing...  I'm just not willing to do that.

Posted: Today, 11:11 am – IP Logged <---- 11:11 make a wish.... White Bounce

JPJohnson

You gotta play to win, that's just how it goes.

canyon

Are you crazy???!!!  I take a chance with my hard earned money and another person decides to hold on to their money!!!  I don't think so!  I'm not particularly feeling lucky when I give up my money but I know I can't win if I don't play no matter how I feel!!!  Now, unless the pool play-in money is high and the person didn't have the money, I may consider giving the legal tax amount which I think is $10,000 but everyone in the pool would have to agree and give the same amount; otherwise, you lose just like the millions across the USA that did put money on a ticket and didn't win!!!

beaudad's avatarbeaudad

you know the 7 who won..........could probably buy the company ........take the people who didn't win  (give them management

positions)  they had to play in the pool to qualify to get anything........and be done with it !!!!! making it a win win ............

beaudad !!!

delS

I'd evaluate on a case by case basis.  Im certainly not a greedy nor mean spirited person.  On the other hand Im not a fool either.  So, for me to share, Id evaluate each case on its own merit.  I can tell you this, if the person(s) are jack-assess, they'd get "NOTHING."

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

Hell no

my Opinion if your Not My Children, or the parents who taken care of me

no one has a right to my time/effort/money

there's a growing body of evidence that people feel a genuine boost of pleasure and happiness when they give to others

ya i got a charity, its called i have some Kids in near future

and make sure am doing my part to make sure the Human race lives ON forever, that's my only duty i feel as a lottery winner to make sure i do my part for human race lives on forever LOL

,   i rather have kids and give them ever thing they need then give 1 peny to anyone else on earth!

i also have a  deeply rooted sense of fairness too, but a fairness of whats your's is yours, and i have no right to it,  same goes for my stuff, can't touch, 

i have seen many so called happyness study's, and 1 point is duh moment for ever study,  If you Spend time doing what you enjoy, you are happy

i don't enjoy giving handouts to people who Waste it,     

their 1 friend i  have had sense i was just  a kid, sure hang out with him!.  if i had that much money, i would must likly just offer him a job as my personal assistance, he knows me to will , all my likes and dislikes, and my need  for prefection.

he be perfect for the job

plus am going to need one anyway with so much shoping and traveling to do, but he be Highly over paid for what work he does do rofl, 

he sure earn it thro!   even if its the point of spoiling him

,   plus i refuse to tell him to hes face i plan to do this if i ever had that much money, sense i don't want to send the msg i would want him to do the same thing to me, 

not at all,     hell am a leader , not a follower, even if i was paid a lot of money,  i sure do my own thing and refuse to do anything i don't want to do,

i work with people, that is teamwork for a goal,  but i refuse to be under people. its my way or highway people       , if you want to team up, sure, and the few true friends i got, love me for who i really am,

am not someone friend cease of the amount of money he has,  am hes friend cease i love hes company!

and i don't want any friends who are with me for anything but fun/company we bring to each other.     

so ya, doing what you Enjoy makes you happy great,  just not everyone the same, and enjoys giving money away,   i enjoy giving money to people I love to death, thats about it thro, i also enjoy giving money to stores to buy whatever i want LOL

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

NO !

They DID NOT PLAY !

If they wanted to win, they should have played !

No No

Time Traveler's avatarTime Traveler

Wise people don't share their wife and lottery winnings with nobody.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

When I read the article promoting sharing with colleagues it kind of made just a little bit of sense, though in a touchy-feely kinda way.

Then at the end I saw it was written by a professor at the University of California at Berkeley.

So I knew immediately that the whole thing was a bad idea.

It's the same way with legal issues.

If the ACLU is backing or defending something, you know it's not in the best interests of the country, the Constitution or common sense.

I'm glad we have little red flags like that to use as wake up calls.

nickey t's avatarnickey t

This story again! Bang Head  now it's FIVE [5] and not just the one guy? .. c'mon!!!! UNLESS SOMEONE WHO REGULARY PLAYS WAS NOT AT WORK AND WAS CALLED AND TOLD OF THE POOL BEFOREHAND AND THEY SAID, 'PLEASE INCLUDE ME, I WILL GIVE MY MONEY WHEN I COME BACK' - THEY ARE NOT PART OF THE POOL - i've played with pools, then ditched them to do my own thing, then joined another group, then left and went somewhere else .. just because you played with certain people, once, twice, hell even 432,309 times DOES NOT mean that you are owed a gotdayum piece of that pie!!! colleagues borrow money ALL THE TIME from each other for lunch or snacks or whatever .. you mean, none of the FIVE could have said 'hold on, let me go to the atm or let me borrow $2 so i can get in on this'?? ... NOW they want to be a part ... this has nothing to being selfish or being greedy .. we all take chances .. this dollar may be the one .. that dollar may not .. but you have to PUT IN THE DOLLAR TO MAKE IT COUNT!!! some of you are being super generous trying to offer them $10K - $13K gift allowed ... NO NO NO .. they get my stapler and my binder because i'm not coming back .. whatever is in my cubicle, they can have but not a RED CENT of my lottery winnings ... only the person that was NOT IN THE OFFICE AND AGREED TO PAY BACK .. otherwise, there's always a way and CLOSED MOUTHS DON'T GET FED - IF THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE $2 THEY COULD SIMPLY HAVE SIGNED AN I.O.U [which i've done dozens of times] ... sorry ... that's how the cookie crumbles ..

Group Hug

Empress-N's avatarEmpress-N

Has anyone thought that maybe this guy actually played alone. Brought his own tickets and maybe thats why he chose not to play with the group. Because he felt he had already purchased his ticket(s) and if it is the winner he wasn't going to share with the rest of the office.

Something to think about....

If that's the case them Mrs. Karma just kicked another hole in his rump.....Selfishness is what it was if this was the case and it did not work in his favor.

IF YOU DID NOT PLAY...YOU DO NOT GET PAID!!!!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by joshuacloak on Apr 3, 2011

Hell no

my Opinion if your Not My Children, or the parents who taken care of me

no one has a right to my time/effort/money

there's a growing body of evidence that people feel a genuine boost of pleasure and happiness when they give to others

ya i got a charity, its called i have some Kids in near future

and make sure am doing my part to make sure the Human race lives ON forever, that's my only duty i feel as a lottery winner to make sure i do my part for human race lives on forever LOL

,   i rather have kids and give them ever thing they need then give 1 peny to anyone else on earth!

i also have a  deeply rooted sense of fairness too, but a fairness of whats your's is yours, and i have no right to it,  same goes for my stuff, can't touch, 

i have seen many so called happyness study's, and 1 point is duh moment for ever study,  If you Spend time doing what you enjoy, you are happy

i don't enjoy giving handouts to people who Waste it,     

their 1 friend i  have had sense i was just  a kid, sure hang out with him!.  if i had that much money, i would must likly just offer him a job as my personal assistance, he knows me to will , all my likes and dislikes, and my need  for prefection.

he be perfect for the job

plus am going to need one anyway with so much shoping and traveling to do, but he be Highly over paid for what work he does do rofl, 

he sure earn it thro!   even if its the point of spoiling him

,   plus i refuse to tell him to hes face i plan to do this if i ever had that much money, sense i don't want to send the msg i would want him to do the same thing to me, 

not at all,     hell am a leader , not a follower, even if i was paid a lot of money,  i sure do my own thing and refuse to do anything i don't want to do,

i work with people, that is teamwork for a goal,  but i refuse to be under people. its my way or highway people       , if you want to team up, sure, and the few true friends i got, love me for who i really am,

am not someone friend cease of the amount of money he has,  am hes friend cease i love hes company!

and i don't want any friends who are with me for anything but fun/company we bring to each other.     

so ya, doing what you Enjoy makes you happy great,  just not everyone the same, and enjoys giving money away,   i enjoy giving money to people I love to death, thats about it thro, i also enjoy giving money to stores to buy whatever i want LOL

LOL, joshuacloak, there is NO WAY that you could possibly be currently engaging as a perfectionist.  You are such a funny commedian.  Because a perfectionist would insist on running SPELLCHECK after everything they type, PLUS they would insist on proof reading what they wrote for grammar mistakes before selecting post reply ... even when text isn't in their native language.

Star

LottoAce's avatarLottoAce

Would I share my winnings? depends on many different variables.
first let me start by saying; we don't let just anyone in our pool to begin with.
a history of not paying on time, or not having your numbers ready will get you kicked out
we have had many people come and go in our pool, and we get asked on a regular basis
by an outsider if they can join our team. in most cases the answer is NO!... the main group has stayed together
for 10 years. We don't have have a written contract. but before you going flipping out....
We do have a logbook. (contracts; unless they are notarized are not considered admissible evidence in court
in some states. logbooks on the other hand are.
Now, I know these people well, they are not flakes, or Slackers, they have proved themselves worth their salt
time and time and time again. there in it for the long haul and unless a family member has passed
or they were hospitalized, (God forbid) they would be in the draw.
So Yes I would share my winnings with those individuals

Share the Love!!!!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Well, this is merely ANOTHER journalist writing an article to broadcast their deep seated notions about how net multi-million dollar jackpots should be distributed. 

Regardless, as far as we know, NONE of these five co-workers have said anything to anyone other than "congratulations" towards their current/former lottery pool playing coworkers who won.  If this is true, than that is the right attitude and I respect that!!!  After all, their lottery winning coworkers probably asked EACH of them twice (and even offered to lend) to purchase a $2 drawing ticket.  After their decline the pool was hopefully courteous in respecting their wishes to not join the pool.

Plus, if each jackpot winner does quit their job this month or next, that will mean that the city won't have to lay-off someone else, due to their prior budgeting/spending mistakes.  Anyhow, this resigning should be viewed as BIG charity from the net multi-million dollar lottery jackpot winner to their community ON A BIG SCALE!  Each of these 7 city government workers were probably paid a lot in salary and benefits.

dphillips's avatardphillips

I would share if my colleague or colleagues played. If not, no dice. I am not a Savings & Loan Bank!

PERDUE

I don't know what was being smoked when this article was being written, but I don't want any.....

If these people or anyone who has a large volume of money decide to give it away or share with anyone it is their business not ours.

I would call this a "guilt" article. One of those articles that tries to make you feel guilty for "having" when there are so many that "have not."

This article also goes so far to hint at how the money could be used and what a person may be experiencing and why.

I wish these people lots of peace, privacy, and the utmost best with their lives.

May GOD continue to bless them with perfect health and keep them and their familes wrapped in HIS protection.

mjwinsmith's avatarmjwinsmith

My take on it and to answer in as few a words as possible.....HELL NO!

You got to be in it to win it, he was not in it so he gets ziltch, nada, nothing....NUFF SAID!

>Michael

delS

Quote: Originally posted by Empress-N on Apr 3, 2011

Has anyone thought that maybe this guy actually played alone. Brought his own tickets and maybe thats why he chose not to play with the group. Because he felt he had already purchased his ticket(s) and if it is the winner he wasn't going to share with the rest of the office.

Something to think about....

If that's the case them Mrs. Karma just kicked another hole in his rump.....Selfishness is what it was if this was the case and it did not work in his favor.

IF YOU DID NOT PLAY...YOU DO NOT GET PAID!!!!

I give you credit for a very interesting consideration.

slick30's avatarslick30

for me, it matters how much i win. i know how much i need for the stuff I want, and how much i want to give to family. if there's enough left, i'd be happy to give it away.

as for the office pool, if the guy just said "i don't feel lucky today" well, i guess he sure wasn't ,huh.

LOL

libra926

Quote: Originally posted by PERDUE on Apr 3, 2011

I don't know what was being smoked when this article was being written, but I don't want any.....

If these people or anyone who has a large volume of money decide to give it away or share with anyone it is their business not ours.

I would call this a "guilt" article. One of those articles that tries to make you feel guilty for "having" when there are so many that "have not."

This article also goes so far to hint at how the money could be used and what a person may be experiencing and why.

I wish these people lots of peace, privacy, and the utmost best with their lives.

May GOD continue to bless them with perfect health and keep them and their familes wrapped in HIS protection.

HAPPY SUNDAY ......4/2/2011

PERDUE.....

All I can say is U have me laughing soooooooo haaarrrd  that the tears are welling up in my eyes.......lovin every minute of it.....lololololol

grwurston's avatargrwurston

Quote: Originally posted by slick30 on Apr 3, 2011

for me, it matters how much i win. i know how much i need for the stuff I want, and how much i want to give to family. if there's enough left, i'd be happy to give it away.

as for the office pool, if the guy just said "i don't feel lucky today" well, i guess he sure wasn't ,huh.

LOL

Since he wasn't feeling lucky, maybe if he had played the group would not have won.

So maybe they should be glad he didn't. His negative energy, bad feeling, vibes etc didn't rub off on to the group.   Bang Head

RJOh's avatarRJOh

There is no greater good than providing for oneself through hard work and effort and maybe a little luck.  If I was lucky enough to win a lottery jackpot, the last thing I would want to do is deny another of the experience of "providing for themselves through hard work and effort and maybe a little luck" as I had.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Apr 4, 2011

There is no greater good than providing for oneself through hard work and effort and maybe a little luck.  If I was lucky enough to win a lottery jackpot, the last thing I would want to do is deny another of the experience of "providing for themselves through hard work and effort and maybe a little luck" as I had.

You are too kind, RJOh.    LOL

dk1421's avatardk1421

I would consider sharing. It all depends upon certain criteria. Do they play every week and just not this one? Were they out sick, but would have given money if had been at work? And finally, if we do share it with this schlub, how many others will come out of the woodwork demanding payment?

So I do feel I would want to share it with him (and others that fit the criteria) but I would also feel that I might be setting myself up for "doing something nice and getting bitten in the butt" for it.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

You're a good hearted woman dk.

(and I'm a good timin' man)

kyokushin187's avatarkyokushin187

I say no way.If you give him money then everyone else who played in the past
but missed this chance
Will lawyer up to get a peice of the pie. thats
just human nature.DOG EAT DOG

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 4, 2011

You are too kind, RJOh.    LOL

Jack Whittaker is usually the poster child for "what not to do when you win a large lottery jackpot"

People forget right after claiming his money, Jack set up a charity to be run by four local pastors and funded by 10% of his winnings to help the poor but many complained they had to jump through too many hoops to get any of the money and it was only enough to help the very poorest.  He also brought a house for a waitress that served him coffee every morning who was living in a trailer who complained he didn't include extra money to help with the increase cost of maintaining a house and paying the real estate taxes.  Facts are, once you start giving money away, you can't give enough of it away to even please the people you are giving it to and chances are you don't want them around you if they're not part of your family.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Apr 5, 2011

Jack Whittaker is usually the poster child for "what not to do when you win a large lottery jackpot"

People forget right after claiming his money, Jack set up a charity to be run by four local pastors and funded by 10% of his winnings to help the poor but many complained they had to jump through too many hoops to get any of the money and it was only enough to help the very poorest.  He also brought a house for a waitress that served him coffee every morning who was living in a trailer who complained he didn't include extra money to help with the increase cost of maintaining a house and paying the real estate taxes.  Facts are, once you start giving money away, you can't give enough of it away to even please the people you are giving it to and chances are you don't want them around you if they're not part of your family.

I guess that would be a prime example of: "No good deed, no matter how small, ever goes unpunished"

On a personal level though, I always feel better going into anything and everything with a positive attitude and outlook. That perspective may cause an occasional regret or a tale of woe but it just goes against my nature to see life in its totality through a jaundiced eye.

Being as such that there ain't a dam thing I can do about it anyway (I don't go against my nature), then it's: C'mon baby, let the good times roll!

Litebets27's avatarLitebets27

Quote: Originally posted by Time Traveler on Apr 3, 2011

Wise people don't share their wife and lottery winnings with nobody.

Green laugh

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

My sentiments exactly! He probably did play by himself as it doesn't make any sense as to why he wouldn't contribute with his colleagues.

If this group decides to help him, there will be many others from the past that had also played in the pool looking for handout as well.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Apr 5, 2011

My sentiments exactly! He probably did play by himself as it doesn't make any sense as to why he wouldn't contribute with his colleagues.

If this group decides to help him, there will be many others from the past that had also played in the pool looking for handout as well.

C'mon Jill! The President said we should spread the wealth around!

AuntiePat's avatarAuntiePat

Quote: Originally posted by dk1421 on Apr 4, 2011

I would consider sharing. It all depends upon certain criteria. Do they play every week and just not this one? Were they out sick, but would have given money if had been at work? And finally, if we do share it with this schlub, how many others will come out of the woodwork demanding payment?

So I do feel I would want to share it with him (and others that fit the criteria) but I would also feel that I might be setting myself up for "doing something nice and getting bitten in the butt" for it.

You know--when I worked, I was a registered nurse in a very high intensity cardiac intensive care--we had a lottery pool and were fortunate to not have any consistent slackers.  Just think--if you were in a situation where lives were at stake in a code red (commonly called a triple in most larger institutions), adrenaline is pumping,  meds are being administered quickly, CPR is being performed, defib paddles are being readied and you are constantly hyperaware of how closely this team has to work together to save the patient's life, would you really feel good about telling one of the members of the team--"That was a GREAT save of Mr. R--by the way--I just caught the lottery numbers and the ICU's numbers hit--too bad you forgot to play or were too broke to play, or were MIA due to a home emergency and didn't play."   

Greed--with apologies to Gordon Gheko in 'Wallstreet'--is NOT good.

Greedy people suck and have earned the bad karma that is returned to them.

belle$star3!

If I won 19 million, I would share a portion with my co-workers.  It is great to have financial success; but money does  not take the place of a person or persons. If one of my co-workers had helped me before my money success,  I would certainly give them more than those whom had not helped me.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

i will carry around $1 quick picks, and any good sob stories will get a ticket off me.

paymenow's avatarpaymenow

NO!  Not just simply, no, but HELL NO!!!  This is one in which you really don't even have to think about.  Look, they all had really good paying jobs.  They only played the lottery when it reached certain epic levels of ridiculous heights.  They all participated with something which was less than $5 dollars.  This is a paltry amount of money for someone who makes a better than average living and who probably could very well afford to play for such a small amount. 

Ask yourself this question:  "Do I want buy a $5 dollar footlong subway sandwich today or do I want to buy the entire franchise?"  And oh, it would probably only cost me all but $5 dollars.

If you answered, "nah, I think that I'll pass, keep my lousy $5 dollars in my pathetic pocket and let my colleagues have all the fun.  And if they should win, then I'll just feel really dumb, stupid and awfully sick and wished that I had played.", then you answered wrong.

So, you take your sorry ass back to working at a sorry as job, although it may pay very well, and sulk like the stupid knucklehead that you are.  Because that's exactly the situation here.  I don't care how well you put on a really good face, this is one historic moment in time in which you could never live down.  If you want to play you need to cast your irons into the fire.  Don't come in after the fact and expect the other to feel sorry for you because you made a very dufus and unintelligent decision as not to play.  For five <snip> dollars you could have been a multi-millionaire.  Take your sorry ass back to work.  I guess you're not so smart after all.

Not no, but HELL NO!!!

PayMeNow

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

ameriken

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Apr 5, 2011

^^^THIS^^^  I Agree!

As I am sure most of us are, I tend to be a very generous and trusting person, almost to a fault. However, like RJOH said, once you start the gravy train rolling, people will be at the station every day anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Win the lottery and everyone will have their hands out...friends, relatives, co-workers, neighbors, and people whom you never even heard of who have absolutely nothing to do with you. I also think many have contempt for rich people, and especially toward people who had money dropped in their lap like the lottery. There are those who, instead of being happy for you, will be angry at you because they think they deserve it more than you, and therefore you owe them.  Someone in this thread mentioned giving $25,000 if someone needed it. Personally, I think that is very generous, however, instead of bringing joy to the recipient(s), it may actually anger them because they think you should have given them $100,000. Afterall, you've got millions and millions of dollars, what's $100,000 to you? It's nothing! Or, buy them a car and they'll be p*ssed if the IRS declares some of it as income and they end up having to pay taxes on it. You're the one who created their tax problem, maybe you're the one who should fix it.

For this reason, my wife and I decided that when we win a large jackpot, we are going to do everything possible to remain anonymous. Tell no one, not even mom or dad. It's not that we think mom and dad are after our money (though I don't doubt there are some parents like that), but mom and dad will be so excited for us that they just can't contain their happiness and will tell someone who will tell someone who will tell someone whom we cannot trust.

I guess that's a downside of an office pool. On the one hand you have a greater chance of winning, but in exchange you give up the anonymity and have to deal with the moral dilemma of what to do with everyone else. And in some cases, you have to deal with a lawsuit.

When we win, my wife and I intend to give away as much as we can to help as many as we can. However we are going to do everyting possible to remain anonymous when we win, as well as when we give.

OK, that's my cynical post of the day.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by ameriken on Apr 10, 2011

^^^THIS^^^  I Agree!

As I am sure most of us are, I tend to be a very generous and trusting person, almost to a fault. However, like RJOH said, once you start the gravy train rolling, people will be at the station every day anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Win the lottery and everyone will have their hands out...friends, relatives, co-workers, neighbors, and people whom you never even heard of who have absolutely nothing to do with you. I also think many have contempt for rich people, and especially toward people who had money dropped in their lap like the lottery. There are those who, instead of being happy for you, will be angry at you because they think they deserve it more than you, and therefore you owe them.  Someone in this thread mentioned giving $25,000 if someone needed it. Personally, I think that is very generous, however, instead of bringing joy to the recipient(s), it may actually anger them because they think you should have given them $100,000. Afterall, you've got millions and millions of dollars, what's $100,000 to you? It's nothing! Or, buy them a car and they'll be p*ssed if the IRS declares some of it as income and they end up having to pay taxes on it. You're the one who created their tax problem, maybe you're the one who should fix it.

For this reason, my wife and I decided that when we win a large jackpot, we are going to do everything possible to remain anonymous. Tell no one, not even mom or dad. It's not that we think mom and dad are after our money (though I don't doubt there are some parents like that), but mom and dad will be so excited for us that they just can't contain their happiness and will tell someone who will tell someone who will tell someone whom we cannot trust.

I guess that's a downside of an office pool. On the one hand you have a greater chance of winning, but in exchange you give up the anonymity and have to deal with the moral dilemma of what to do with everyone else. And in some cases, you have to deal with a lawsuit.

When we win, my wife and I intend to give away as much as we can to help as many as we can. However we are going to do everyting possible to remain anonymous when we win, as well as when we give.

OK, that's my cynical post of the day.

Very well articulated Ameriken, not that cynical, and I do believe you're trusting and generous.

The only place I'd part ways is with Mom and Dad.

The day may come when you'd give anything just to have them around to see the look on their faces when you told them about it.

And knowing how you'd enjoy making their lives easier.

That to me would be worth any drawback that stemmed from it.

I honestly don't know if that makes any sense if you haven't experienced that loss and the utter finality of it.

Best of luck to ya.

ameriken

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 10, 2011

Very well articulated Ameriken, not that cynical, and I do believe you're trusting and generous.

The only place I'd part ways is with Mom and Dad.

The day may come when you'd give anything just to have them around to see the look on their faces when you told them about it.

And knowing how you'd enjoy making their lives easier.

That to me would be worth any drawback that stemmed from it.

I honestly don't know if that makes any sense if you haven't experienced that loss and the utter finality of it.

Best of luck to ya.

Thanks rdgrnr, you throw some different light on it. I hear what you're saying, they're way up there in age and I know their days are limited. Based on that, you're making me rethink that part of it. Thanks for a thoughtful post. Thumbs Up

corius$1918!

If I were playing with a core group for several years and someone missed the drawing due to being out that day, i would share the winning with them on such a large jackpot.  i would not be obligated, i would just feel it would be ethical for me considering i could have been in the same situation.

From the articles i've read the one guy who regularly ate with and played with the group was walking into work.  ambished by a reporter asking how he felt, he stated he's happy for them.  This man hasn't said anyone owes him something for nothing, i believe the speculation is coming from reporters who have to make a story juicy to get their fame.

corius$1918!

i agree, i've experience the loss of both parents and i'd love to have had the chance to make their lives better for all they've done for me.  I do understand what the guy is talking about, my mom could keep a secret but my dad would have a hard time and most likely would have told someone and word would spread.  For my safety and everyone i love I would want to remain anonymous.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

heheh tell em you are going to setup an annuity for them, and if they ever tell a soul or word gets out  thru them the money stops rolling in.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story