Hard-luck Ohio couple tearful as they learn of lottery surprise

Apr 8, 2011, 9:09 am (43 comments)

Ohio Lottery

Includes video report

Just when things look hopeless, sometimes an unexpected breakthrough happens.

Just ask David and Beth Loomis of Columbus, Ohio.

David Loomis lost his job last year, and his unemployment benefits were about to expire. But while Beth Loomis was walking their dog Tuesday morning, she found a dollar and thought, "I guess this might be our lucky day," she said in an interview.

She didn't know just how lucky it would be.

Ohio Lottery officials had invited the couple to come to lottery headquarters to pick up a hat and cup consolation prize from a 2010 drawing.  They were told they were one of several winners to receive similar prizes that day.

What they didn't tell the Loomises was that there also was a $150,000 check waiting for them from a lottery ticket David Loomis had bought last year.

When the surprise check was presented, David Loomis gaped at his wife, then spun his chair halfway around, speechless. Then both husband and wife wept.

They plan to use the money to pay off bills and perhaps make a down payment on a house, Beth Loomis said.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

What a great story. Just shows that you never know when you might have a big win.

Thanks for posting Todd.

danyo1332's avatardanyo1332

Good for them! What a surprise that would be lol

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

This was definitely a "Feel good" story. I am so happy for this couple.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

They plan to use the money to pay off bills and perhaps make a down payment on a house, Beth Loomis said.

Sounds like if he's still unemployed they could be in hard times again soon, this time trying to make house payments.

myeyes2020's avatarmyeyes2020

congratulations to the couple this story makes me want cry with them

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

so how was the $1 lucky?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Apr 8, 2011

Sounds like if he's still unemployed they could be in hard times again soon, this time trying to make house payments.

Good for them but I agree, the house should come after a job is found.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I'm kinda surprised that they can get people to make the trip to lottery headquarters just for a "hat and cup". I don't know if I like that idea. What if the guy doesn't go in for the "hat and cup" and gets run over by a garbage truck that day instead?

Me, I'd rather be told the truth.

I don't like surprises anyway.

Especially a surprise like being run over by a garbage truck.

yeah seems a lot of being messed about for the publics amusement,   $150k isnt exactly retire in comfort  money. and these people where obviously in  financial distress.  i wouldnt even agree to having the video published.

Whats wrong with  doing their  job and telling people hey you won some money come collect it. 

they have to make em perform for their lousy $150k, prob half after taxes?

im happy for the couple, not too happy with the treatment from the lotto commission

butterflykt's avatarbutterflykt

Such a great story!  My left palm was itching so bad yesterday maybe I should get a mega millions ticket today.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

NICE !

Sun Smiley

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 8, 2011

Good for them but I agree, the house should come after a job is found.

Very true!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by butterflykt on Apr 8, 2011

Such a great story!  My left palm was itching so bad yesterday maybe I should get a mega millions ticket today.

Yes, you should get a MM ticket, kt. I have a good feeling about it.

And to show my confidence I'll even offer to split the pot with you if you win!

charmed7's avatarcharmed7

AWESOME some story

Gives u hope tht ONE day might b ur DAY, what a blessing

sully16's avatarsully16

Nice story, maybe they can start a business also.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Apr 8, 2011

Nice story, maybe they can start a business also.

I Agree! Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

That's a great idea.  Much better than putting money down on a new house, starting a business would allow them to multiply their winnings many times, and when the business is successful, put money down on a new house and never be dependent upon an employer again!

konane's avatarkonane

Totally awesome!!!  Congratulations to them ..... hope their luck changed for the better from now on!  Sun Smiley

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

I'm kinda surprised that they can get people to make the trip to lottery headquarters just for a "hat and cup". I don't know if I like that idea. What if the guy doesn't go in for the "hat and cup" and gets run over by a garbage truck that day instead?

I Agree! Plus, what if they lived far from the headquarters and don't come because they can't afford gas. 

I certainly hope that upon a no show, that the lottery headquarters would have called them afterwards to make arrangements to get the $150,000 to them.  Or tell them, so that if someone is in a hard-luck financial situation, they could explain to a friend in order to quickly get $30 gas.

Coffee

pam88's avatarpam88

Thats totally awesome !! Good luck to them both.Big Smile

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

Double nice...!

Seven2Eleven

I heard they were crying when they found out how much the tax on it was going to be.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Seven2Eleven on Apr 8, 2011

I heard they were crying when they found out how much the tax on it was going to be.

LOL

Welcome to Lottery Post 7211.

Best of luck to ya!   Thumbs UpYes NodLep

Savwa's avatarSavwa

Glad they got some relief for their problems. 

Just hope they are keen enough to not overspend this new mini-fortune for next April will come calling the IRS and they wont only be crying if they havent saved or already paid the additional tax debt they will incurr.  IRS doesnt have feelings for anyone or anything except their piece of the pie.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Nice story....congrats to them both

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Apr 8, 2011

That's a great idea.  Much better than putting money down on a new house, starting a business would allow them to multiply their winnings many times, and when the business is successful, put money down on a new house and never be dependent upon an employer again!

Operative Word is "successfull". New business's carry a grave deficit for start up cost and enduring three/five years of "at risk" by creditor standards. SHort of it being a 100% sure thing, I wouldnt recommend a new business endeavor with the economy the way it is. Even companies or business's that have been around for years are closing, small business's have a lesser chance of buckling thru this.

Its their dream money, real estate isnt such a bad choice, beats being homeless and in debt. Right now its a buyers market.

Overall the dollar on the sidewalk was from my interpretation an omen for what was to come in the way of good fortune. Maybe she found it the same day they were called into the Lottery place?

Glad they won, they sound like responsible adults.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

LOL Rdg- Yes there is an epedemic of potential lottery claims winners being run over by garbage trucks on their way to the headquarters! Its become national news! I think we should call in the Marines to fix this mess!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by konane on Apr 8, 2011

Totally awesome!!!  Congratulations to them ..... hope their luck changed for the better from now on!  Sun Smiley

I Agree! US Flag

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Apr 8, 2011

LOL Rdg- Yes there is an epedemic of potential lottery claims winners being run over by garbage trucks on their way to the headquarters! Its become national news! I think we should call in the Marines to fix this mess!

It could happen!       LOL

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Apr 8, 2011

Operative Word is "successfull". New business's carry a grave deficit for start up cost and enduring three/five years of "at risk" by creditor standards. SHort of it being a 100% sure thing, I wouldnt recommend a new business endeavor with the economy the way it is. Even companies or business's that have been around for years are closing, small business's have a lesser chance of buckling thru this.

Its their dream money, real estate isnt such a bad choice, beats being homeless and in debt. Right now its a buyers market.

Overall the dollar on the sidewalk was from my interpretation an omen for what was to come in the way of good fortune. Maybe she found it the same day they were called into the Lottery place?

Glad they won, they sound like responsible adults.

Of course, everyone decides what to do with their money, because it's their money.  (Except when they start getting government assistance, because then it's our money they are spending.)

My opinion is that buying a house after a $150,000 win (netting somewhere around $100,000 after taxes) is not necessarily a great idea because it is a non-sustainable debt. 

Too many people buying houses they couldn't afford is the primary reason the country is in the mess it is in right now.

There is a much greater chance of keeping yourself prosperous in this economy by starting your own business, because then you are no longer dependent upon the outcomes of someone else to determine your own personal financial well-being.  The harder you work and the more determined you are, the better your chances of success.  Small business is the driver of the American economy for that reason.

There are certain businesses, like restaurants, that carry a very high risk of failure.  But other types of businesses, such as a particular trade (electrical, plumbing, masonry, landscaping, etc.) do not carry such a high risk, and they are in fact starting to really pick up.

All I'm saying is imagine if that medium-sized lottery win turned out to be the lynchpin that gave the family a lifetime of earnings, rather than a lot of unsustainable debt that may bring more unhappiness in a year or two.

yeah houses are cheap now, i think  on $100k you could prob buy a house $50k and say a tow truck.

if the tow truck business is anything like  out here,. the network assigns pick ups via radio, much like cabs, on roster of operators on duty.

so basically its a license to print money. as crashed and broken down cars will exist untill we run out of oil, then you'll be towing electric cars.

if the crashed car owner doesnt pay the bill its handed to stae gov, and the pay the driver and chase them up themselves!

well thats how it works in commy sth australia.

but oh yeah states over there are broke,.so maybe not such a great plan.

nickey t's avatarnickey t

THESE INDIVIDUALS TRULY DESERVED THIS LOTTERY BLESSING AND IT'S GREAT THAT THEY'LL BE ABLE TO BREATH A LITTLE WITH THIS MONEY!!!

*now, it's time for 'conspiracy theory time'*

they knew they had not won the money so where did this secret money come from? how did they pick the people to give it to?

once a disgruntled lottery employee stated that the top people pick THEIR FRIENDS and neighbors to receive these bogus lottery sweeps so i want a fuller disclosure on how they came up with this extra money to give out - of course, it's from the unclaimed prizes, but i want THEM TO ADMIT IT!! Cussing Face

Crunchiesbabe

Congrats!  Ready for my blessing!!!

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

Quote: Originally posted by nickey t on Apr 9, 2011

THESE INDIVIDUALS TRULY DESERVED THIS LOTTERY BLESSING AND IT'S GREAT THAT THEY'LL BE ABLE TO BREATH A LITTLE WITH THIS MONEY!!!

*now, it's time for 'conspiracy theory time'*

they knew they had not won the money so where did this secret money come from? how did they pick the people to give it to?

once a disgruntled lottery employee stated that the top people pick THEIR FRIENDS and neighbors to receive these bogus lottery sweeps so i want a fuller disclosure on how they came up with this extra money to give out - of course, it's from the unclaimed prizes, but i want THEM TO ADMIT IT!! Cussing Face

Story says "there was a $150,000 check from a lottery ticket David Loomis had bought last year."

Apparently they didn't know they had a winning ticket, which we read about all the time.

nickey t's avatarnickey t

Quote: Originally posted by rcbbuckeye on Apr 10, 2011

Story says "there was a $150,000 check from a lottery ticket David Loomis had bought last year."

Apparently they didn't know they had a winning ticket, which we read about all the time.

oh .. didn't see that part .. i was tipsy typing and it was late Green laugh

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by nickey t on Apr 10, 2011

oh .. didn't see that part .. i was tipsy typing and it was late Green laugh

That's ok nickey.

You ain't the only one typing while tipsy.    Stretch

ipicknumbers

This guy looks like he has worked hard his whole life! Im happy for him and his wife

louise black

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Apr 8, 2011

I Agree! that exactly what I would do,  I promise myself if I ever won a large amount of money I would do just that own my very own business. maybe a talent agency.Wink

louise black

You are right Rdgrnnr , there would be a better chance of me being ran over by a garbage truck than going down to get a hat and a cup from the lottery, I don't bother to enter my non winning lottery scratch off credit for things like coat, hats, tickets and appliances. I will buy my own what nots. I am looking for MONEYBig Grin    Congrat!!! to the couple on their much needed win!!Banana

noe you  have me thinking i should have replied to their message about winning a mouse mat, and could i come pick it up on monday

Bash

mrsrenegade's avatarmrsrenegade

man I wish this wuld happen to me and my husband!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by mrsrenegade on Apr 17, 2011

man I wish this wuld happen to me and my husband!

It's as likely to be you as anyone else, mrsrenegade, as long as you fulfill that one requirement: buy a ticket.

Welcome to Lottery Post and Best of Luck to you! LepYes NodThumbs Up

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

Same here.  I want to start a service business (party planning) from home so there's no real upstart cost.  Then I would build a storage facility.  That's where the money is.  Just rent those suckers out and wait for the $$ to roll in.  I live in a military town so there's lots of need for that.

IMO i would not get excited over $150,000.  Appreciate it, yes.  but after taxes it's not that much of a win. It wouldn't even pay off my house.  I would pay off my car and other small bills and maybe my mortgage through the end of the year.  I would just enjoy the rest!

imagine's avatarimagine

Actually, WSJ just recently had an article explaining how you can be tax free on 125K.

So hopefully their first  purchase, is a tax advisor

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story