Florida woman mistaken for lottery winner

May 6, 2011, 1:13 pm (53 comments)

Florida Lottery

Similar name to real winner leads to many phone calls, text messages

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — A Port St. Lucie woman said she is being mistaken for a Florida Lottery scratch-off game winner because they share a similar name.

Tammy Henry Jordan said her phone has been ringing off the hook, and her text messages are piling up.

Jordan said it seems people are confusing her with a Jupiter woman named Tammy Henry, who recently won $2 million.

"My name is Tammy Henry Jordan," Jordan told WPBF 25 News. "Her name is Tammy Henry. She's 43. I'm 44. She lives in Jupiter. I live in Port St. Lucie."

Jordan even filled a police report, because the callers are threatening to come to her home and collect some of the cash.

"I've been receiving congratulations phone calls," Jordan said. "I've been receiving threatening phone calls. 'I know you won.' 'You don't have to lie.' 'We know where you live.'"

Jordan said she is scared someone may show up at her home and is staying with family members.

"I guess this is the honey-comb hideout," Jordan's sister, Felicia Vickers, said.

Jordan said she's telling everybody she isn't the winner, but they don't believe her. She said she has a plan if she ever does win.

"She won $2 million," Jordan said of the real winner. "I think God is preparing me for $10 million, so therefore when I win $10 million I know not to tell anybody."

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Thanks to B$Rizzle for the tip.

WPBF

Comments

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Congratulations to the winner. I didn't know there was a mistake.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

I'm glad that WPBF indicated what a "threatening" phone call sounds like, that it isn't rare, and that there are a lot of people who believe they are entitled to another person's resources (and each believer is not clinically insane).

time*treat's avatartime*treat

The threatening calls should be promptly turned over to the cops; let them do something useful for a change.

I wouldn't want calls/texts from anyone I hadn't been talking to before.

ameriken

"I think God is preparing me for $10 million, so therefore when I win $10 million I know not to tell anybody"

And that my friends, is the moral of the story. 

TELL NO ONE!

Unfortunately, you can count on the lottery commission to release your name to the public. Angry

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

'I know you won.' 'You don't have to lie.' 'We know where you live.'

Unbelievable.

I would respond to that phone call by inviting the callers over and introducing them to my good friend Sam Colt and my buddies, Smith and Wesson.

tbraddock

This is why all lotteries should let people claim their winnings anonymously!!!

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Twitchits stories like this that make me give serious thought about not playing at all  Surrender

James1's avatarJames1

I dont get it. If you win $250,000 in Florida you are home safe and anonymous but if you oh so happen to win $1 Million + , your life is in danger ...

WTG Fl lotto. It wont be long until you get another winner killed !!

asd123

I don't get it. Did this woman receive threats because the winner told a lot of people? Would I be safe with 1 million+ as long as I don't tell anyone?

CAL-LottoPlayer

I didn't realize lottery winners were harassed to this extent, even mistaken identity ones.  I am really surprised it's this bad.  It really goes to show you, you must be careful who you tell. I guess I was right when I said, IF I ever won, I would move away and leave no forwarding address.

But to be truthful with everyone, the chances of winning are virtually none.  As such, I have cut way back on my playing.  I rarely ever play the long odds games anymore.  I hardly even play the 5/5 game here in California.  I haven't quit, I've just cut back.

asd123

Quote: Originally posted by asd123 on May 6, 2011

I don't get it. Did this woman receive threats because the winner told a lot of people? Would I be safe with 1 million+ as long as I don't tell anyone?

or were these people just calling random lottery winners, asking for money. Basically, I want to know if this is a problem the winner could have prevented. (by not telling anybody)

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 6, 2011

Unbelievable.

I would respond to that phone call by inviting the callers over and introducing them to my good friend Sam Colt and my buddies, Smith and Wesson.

Thumbs Up......this is why you go Anonymous...there are some sick people in the world

sully16's avatarsully16

This is scary stuff, I hope she find peace.

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

You would be surpised how many nut cases come out of the wood work and actually believe they are entitled to some parts of a winner's money whether they know them or not.  The threats..treat them like they are REAL!!

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on May 6, 2011

Thumbs Up......this is why you go Anonymous...there are some sick people in the world

I wish in all states people could remain anonymous. Here in FL we cant =(

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

just a little fyi, you can remain anonymous, you just can't use the trust path in A dirct way.

you can however, use the corporation or llc purchased the tickets path

and be anonymous via  A trust as the solo  "Owner" of say whatever said corporation claims, Hot ! Mwahahahaha

don't let what the florida lottery says or what ever idiot thinks tell you otherwise, their also a option.

you see, the united states supreme court, bless their stupid little hearts,  said corporations are in fact People, aka also have  all the rights of people

they can claim a ticket, just like you or me, now  set one up,  and using lawyer paperwork skills,one would also be in charge of said corporation. 

the "owner" will be a trust, people can put their ownership of a corporation in a trust , yes

and their you go, a trust will end up with the money, however so much paperwork and brains are needed to pull this off, you better be a major pb or mm winner to to even bother going down such a path that cost you a ton for a smart lawyer to do the work for you.

but it can be Done,    lucky i live in tn, where they just allow you to use a freaking trust and don't have to go thro the loopholes to end up with a trust claiming, geez

if anyone of you do win in FL and get a chance to pull this off

plz name your corporation, "you never get this winner found and killed Florida"

that should make your point.        but am sure you just use some low profile ,   boring sounding name of common names ,

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by joshuacloak on May 6, 2011

just a little fyi, you can remain anonymous, you just can't use the trust path in A dirct way.

and be anonymous via  A trust as the solo  "Owner" of say whatever said corporation claims, Hot ! Mwahahahaha

don't let what the florida lottery says or what ever idiot thinks tell you otherwise, their also a option.

you see, the united states supreme court, bless their stupid little hearts,  said corporations are in fact People, aka also have  all the rights of people

they can claim a ticket, just like you or me, now  set one up,  and using lawyer paperwork skills,one would also be in charge of said corporation. 

the "owner" will be a trust, people can put their ownership of a corporation in a trust , yes

and their you go, a trust will end up with the money, however so much paperwork and brains are needed to pull this off, you better be a major pb or mm winner to to even bother going down such a path that cost you a ton for a smart lawyer to do the work for you.

but it can be Done,    lucky i live in tn, where they just allow you to use a freaking trust and don't have to go thro the loopholes to end up with a trust claiming, geez

that should make your point.        but am sure you just use some low profile ,   boring sounding name of common names ,

That might be good advice for Tammy Henry Jordan of Port St. Lucie if she wins lots of money in the lottery, but the problem here is Tammy Henry of Jupiter won the money. Life certainly would have been much easier for Jordan had Henry claimed her $2 million scratch-off ticket using a trust, but she didn't.

Telling everybody with a common name to get an unlisted phone number just in case someone with a similar sounding name wins a jackpot would be better advice.

Crunchiesbabe

Unbelievable.

LOL.  That's exactly what I was thinking!!!!I Agree!

Quote: Originally posted by joshuacloak on May 6, 2011

Joshua, although most of what you said is in fact TRUE, there is a false assumption that you listed.

Even if a person in FL files the claim under a trust, the FL lottery can and WILL release the sole proprietor of that trust aka; persons name.

So a person can try and hide behind a company name all they want, but the FL Lottery will check out the owner of the trust, corporation, company etc and release the owner of that entity in their press release.

nickey t's avatarnickey t

Unbelievable.

exactly .. i wish they would try me! No No Todd, please find a gun toting emoticon for us [registered] gun owners!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

"I've been receiving congratulations phone calls," Jordan said. "I've been receiving threatening phone calls. 'I know you won.' 'You don't have to lie.' 'We know where you live.'"

If she's not careful she could end up like the Florida lottery winner Abraham Shakespear by mistake. 

The women charged with his murder claims she was only trying to steal his money and home and has no idea how he ended up buried in her back yard under a concrete pad.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Quote: Originally posted by B$Rizzle on May 6, 2011

Joshua, although most of what you said is in fact TRUE, there is a false assumption that you listed.

Even if a person in FL files the claim under a trust, the FL lottery can and WILL release the sole proprietor of that trust aka; persons name.

So a person can try and hide behind a company name all they want, but the FL Lottery will check out the owner of the trust, corporation, company etc and release the owner of that entity in their press release.

Where the information goes off kilter B$Rizzle, is that the company owner can be Huckleberry Finn ( Fictious name) , Trust can and are set up that way to protect the body of interest, be it a trust fund baby or en endowment to an institution. Sorry but Florida doesnt waste months tracking things down that are sealed by the courts for good reason.   The Florida Lottery can be sited for this by the Trust entity . Some records are sealed and cannot be opened to public knowledge even on awards given such as the Lottery .

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Unbelievable.

LOL You got that right!! Or better yet I'd hook up some good ole electricity to the metal screen door, not to much but just enough to watch em yelp!!!! Come on over I'm the lottery winner.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

People calling your cell phone usually either already know you or know someone close to you.

What she has found out is how many jerks are in/near her inner circle.

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on May 6, 2011

Where the information goes off kilter B$Rizzle, is that the company owner can be Huckleberry Finn ( Fictious name) , Trust can and are set up that way to protect the body of interest, be it a trust fund baby or en endowment to an institution. Sorry but Florida doesnt waste months tracking things down that are sealed by the courts for good reason.   The Florida Lottery can be sited for this by the Trust entity . Some records are sealed and cannot be opened to public knowledge even on awards given such as the Lottery .

GameGirl - I Understand that, however FL laws can be and probably are quite different here than in PA regarding business filings with the state. No matter how someone in FL wants their DBA (Doing Business As) name to be, it is still registered to an actual legal name ("person"). That person can easily be unveiled by a simple search on the Division of Corporation site established in FL. A ficticious name is just another way of saying "Doing Business As", so a person can create an actual business name rather than using "John Smith".  That way "John Smith" can operate under the ficticious name: "Johns Flowers". Anyone can still look up the owner/trustee of "Johns Flowers".

There is much to be said regarding this and everyone has their own ideas or options so well just have to leave it at that ;)

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

leave it at that, o hell no, i hate people giving people wrong idea's

the fact is once money in a legal trust,  you can firewall any winner  real identity

, in this case, i can even side step any insane florida law's while am at it to prove my point

how it would be done.

corporation claims pb in Florida,   your record laws can find out its Owned by x Trust, the trustie , will just be a Lawyer!

will congrats you know the lawyer ,  now he being paid to not tell you who the real  beneficiaries are, you know that right?

form  a legal stand point,  am insulted you people in florida think you somehow have special  rights to access the trust records to  whoever  the  beneficiaries are.

now  even if you could find out the beneficiaries!        by somehow accessing their records, guest what i can do , o look the beneficiaries is  just a other trust, could even be a diff lawyer as the trustie,  and to add insult to injury, i can make that 2nd trust , a trust based in a other state, say TN with its own diff trust laws etc,  it would take legal battle no in their right mind, you be laughed out of court before you ever find out real names of the beneficiaries

you in theory could go on forever,  with trust  having other beneficiaries be trust's as will,

I Don't give a rats beep about your state laws ,  once its in a trust, any trust lawyer worth their law degree can channel that money into black Hole far as you all finding out who it is...

get a  great trust/corporation lawyer if your in florida and get it Done.  tell them what you want. and demand it be done, 

that's why i said don't let what the florida lottery says or what ever idiot thinks tell you otherwise, their also a option

and i mean what i say, i know to much about legal world of trust's and corporations to know you Can't hide your true Name form almust everyone but the IRS it self LOL

as for this lady, sucks to be her. no money and treated like them via requests. OH

but proves a point lottery winners who go public,  are just sitting them self's up, everyone has access to computor/net, and with that, all they need is your legal name and city just add's insult to it, and bam they got your address, phone, ever thing PUBLIC will be their. and Their to many bad people  who ask people for Money, and go out of their way to do it.

, i have seen all the lottery winners shows,like tlc ,curse of the lottery, uk does some shows on their winners also.

where winners  point out how much requests they get, the fact florida winner have been murdered for the money alone by a scam artist who got to him, should prove the point

to never make your self a target in today's world,   people don't treat lottery winners the same, and ever story like this Proves it more and more

maybe being famous is some people thing,  but majority of us i think just went the money and not the famous part LOL

BaristaExpress's avatarBaristaExpress

Quote: Originally posted by B$Rizzle on May 6, 2011

GameGirl - I Understand that, however FL laws can be and probably are quite different here than in PA regarding business filings with the state. No matter how someone in FL wants their DBA (Doing Business As) name to be, it is still registered to an actual legal name ("person"). That person can easily be unveiled by a simple search on the Division of Corporation site established in FL. A ficticious name is just another way of saying "Doing Business As", so a person can create an actual business name rather than using "John Smith".  That way "John Smith" can operate under the ficticious name: "Johns Flowers". Anyone can still look up the owner/trustee of "Johns Flowers".

There is much to be said regarding this and everyone has their own ideas or options so well just have to leave it at that ;)

And the only way around that problem is to have an out of state trust claim the winnings! FL then has no right to any information from the other states' secretary who receives and files said trust in that state! Problem Solved!!!!!!!!

No state has any rights to information from another states' secretary for trust filings, unless that state that's asking for said information can show some sort of fraud is being commited and then they are going to need a court order to get said information! Never use a trust to claim any prize that was filed in the same state as the prize, Always use an out of state trust!

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

who needs to  win lotto? you just need to have same name, or eeep buy a house off of a winner who doesnt tell you. to be murdered in your sleep.

no blind trust would help in this situation, and worse no winningsa to disappear with.

and you are more likely to have the same name as someone who wins than actually win yourself

i base that on the odds of having someone with the same name out there. meaning that nime is more likely to win than you. as there are at least 2 of that name.

GYM RICE

Imagine what the people who have the last name of Hitler must go through on a daily basis.  Whats kinda stange about the story is this person who didn't win actually went public and brought more attention to herself.  She's begging to be trolled by some professionals now.

asd123

something's not right with this story... you don't hear about real lottery winners such as Richard Lustig being harrassed and threatened. I am sure if lottery winners would be harrassed like this woman was, then it would end up on the news.

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

I am sure if lottery winners would be harrassed like this woman was, then it would end up on the news.

um real lottery winners have DIED because they won the lottery.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by GYM RICE on May 7, 2011

Imagine what the people who have the last name of Hitler must go through on a daily basis.  Whats kinda stange about the story is this person who didn't win actually went public and brought more attention to herself.  She's begging to be trolled by some professionals now.

"Imagine what the people who have the last name of Hitler must go through on a daily basis."

Yer dern tootin!

Imagine what life has been like for me with a name like Benito Mussolini!

Ain't too many backwoods country boys with a name like that.

I went through hell with this name!

Me and my brother Tojo are both thinking about gettin our names changed.

asd123

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on May 7, 2011

I am sure if lottery winners would be harrassed like this woman was, then it would end up on the news.

um real lottery winners have DIED because they won the lottery.

either because they commited suicide after financial and family troubles or because someone killed them after they blabbed their win to everybody. Basically if you win and don't tell anybody, you should be fine.

ttech10's avatarttech10

Unbelievable.

+1.

I live in a house with two roommates and we all have guns. If I were to win the lottery I would likely stay here until the rent agreement is up and though I plan on collecting through a blind trust, if my name did get out I wouldn't be too worried about someone coming to my house trying to do something.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by ttech10 on May 7, 2011

+1.

I live in a house with two roommates and we all have guns. If I were to win the lottery I would likely stay here until the rent agreement is up and though I plan on collecting through a blind trust, if my name did get out I wouldn't be too worried about someone coming to my house trying to do something.

God blessed Texas with His own hand
Brought down angels from the promised land
Gave 'em a place where they could dance
If you wanna see heaven brother here's your chance
I've been sent to spread the message
God blessed Texas

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on May 6, 2011

People calling your cell phone usually either already know you or know someone close to you.

Good catch, If your getting texts , it's someone you know.

kalikgirl's avatarkalikgirl

Its a pity that winners have to endure the numerous phone calls and threatening ones too at that  it is aweful~

You too could be a Winner if you play! Others are taking a chance for themselves!

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Quote: Originally posted by CAL-LottoPlayer on May 6, 2011

I didn't realize lottery winners were harassed to this extent, even mistaken identity ones.  I am really surprised it's this bad.  It really goes to show you, you must be careful who you tell. I guess I was right when I said, IF I ever won, I would move away and leave no forwarding address.

But to be truthful with everyone, the chances of winning are virtually none.  As such, I have cut way back on my playing.  I rarely ever play the long odds games anymore.  I hardly even play the 5/5 game here in California.  I haven't quit, I've just cut back.

It doesn't matter if you personally haven't told anyone, once it's publicized it's out there. On one of TLC's lottery programs a jackpot winner from New Mexico said complete strangers were contacting him and asking to be sponsored in the World Series of Poker or cover their credit card spending when one ran up $75,000 in charges for Chrsitmas.

PrisonerSix

I feel bad for her, but she is probably learning now who her real friends are.

Considering I read once that an man in the U.S. who won told of how he had gotten a phone call from Indonesia asking for money, no story would surprise me.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by PrisonerSix on May 8, 2011

I feel bad for her, but she is probably learning now who her real friends are.

Considering I read once that an man in the U.S. who won told of how he had gotten a phone call from Indonesia asking for money, no story would surprise me.

Simply having a decent job is reason enough for some people to come knocking at your door asking for money.

asd123

not saying that this is fact, just throwing it out there as a possibility (looks suspicious):My theory:

This woman is a regular reader of the Florida Lottery's Press Releases. When she opens the story from may 4, she finds a woman with the same name as her and decides to make up a story.

Reason behind theory: if this woman isn't the winner, then who exactly were the people who harassed her? were they people who knew the winner or the woman?(after all they knew her cell phone number). Also, how exactly did the people who harassed her find out about her win?

dr65's avatardr65

$2 Million? The hooplah will die down and she'll be forgotten. If it's bothering her that much she can change

her phone numbers. And the death threats? Come on now...it's not $200 Million. Yeah, yeah people have

been killed for less but this story just seems too sensational for the non-winner.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by asd123 on May 7, 2011

something's not right with this story... you don't hear about real lottery winners such as Richard Lustig being harrassed and threatened. I am sure if lottery winners would be harrassed like this woman was, then it would end up on the news.

I was wondering about that too because if lots of people are harassing someone with a similar name, you would think the winner is getting lots of phone calls too. The story says nothing about the real winner.

asd123

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 8, 2011

I was wondering about that too because if lots of people are harassing someone with a similar name, you would think the winner is getting lots of phone calls too. The story says nothing about the real winner.

that's what I meant from the beginning; something isn't right and there IS a chance that she made it up because she wanted to have a little fun. Random strangers don't go harassing 2 million dollar winners.

imagine's avatarimagine

Hopefully she gets left alone now.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Unbelievable.

A nearby Taxidermy shop has a sign that says "If you are found here at night, you will be found here in the morning"

We target practice regularly around here, not wise to show up after a threat ! Hit With Stick

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on May 6, 2011

Yeah, could be she was just trying to create her own 15 minutes of fame and it backfired or she's making the whole thing up.

dr65's avatardr65

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on May 9, 2011

A nearby Taxidermy shop has a sign that says "If you are found here at night, you will be found here in the morning"

We target practice regularly around here, not wise to show up after a threat ! Hit With Stick

LOL! That's a good one.

sully16's avatarsully16

Our local hardware store has a sign that says " Free police car rides , if you steal from us"

myturn's avatarmyturn

This is exactly why lotteries should allow winners to remain anonymous!

ameriken

I Agree!

On the other hand, I can also see lotteries wanting and needing to make the winners public. If everyone was anonymous, then the public might suspect the Lotteries were faking winners and scamming the public. So I can see the need to make winners public.

However, there has to be a happy medium for those who request anonymity.

sandia's avatarsandia

Green laughGreen laughGreen laughGreen laugh

I need to buy THAT sign for my front electric fence, I do not hunt but I shall make a special waivers for the brave/stupid ones who pepetrate threats and harm to me and mine.

LOL, thanks dpoly, you made by day!

dk1421's avatardk1421

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on May 8, 2011

$2 Million? The hooplah will die down and she'll be forgotten. If it's bothering her that much she can change

her phone numbers. And the death threats? Come on now...it's not $200 Million. Yeah, yeah people have

been killed for less but this story just seems too sensational for the non-winner.

Over a decade ago, a man killed another man over the last hotdog on the grill.

People will kill over $25, much less $200,000.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story