Powerball lottery jackpot increased to $171 million

May 26, 2011, 7:11 am (58 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

The multi-state Powerball lottery drawing happened last night without any jackpot winners, causing the new jackpot for Saturday's drawing to grow to an estimated $171 million, with a cash option of $88.7 million.

Wednesday night was the 9th consecutive drawing without a jackpot winner.

Even though there were no jackpot winners, 6 lucky tickets matched the first five numbers for a $200,000 second-place prize: 1 from Florida, 1 from Idaho, 1 from Nebraska, 1 from Washington, 1 from West Virginia, and 1 from Wisconsin.

The ticket sold in West Virginia was purchased with the Power Play option, multiplying the prize to a sizeable $1 million. 

58 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. Of those tickets, 12 also were purchased with the Power Play option, multiplying the prize by 2 for a total cash prize of $20,000.

The Powerball winning numbers for Wednesday, May 25, were 4, 23, 31, 42, and 50, with Powerall number 23. The Power Play number was 2.

The last Powerball jackpot to reach or exceed the size of the upcoming Saturday drawing was on April 6, 2011, when one ticket from Indiana won a $218 million grand prize.

A total of 1,108,227 tickets across the USA won more than $8.1 million in prizes playing "America's Game" Wednesday. 162,014 of those winning tickets were purchased with the Power Play option, which multiplied the prize by 2.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is multiplied from 2-5 times, depending on a computerized random number generated that evening. Second-place Power Play-enabled tickets matching five numbers but not the Powerball are always multiplied by 5 times, for a $1 million prize.

Powerball is now played in 41 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

The Powerball winning numbers are published at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) minutes after the drawing takes place.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Woo Hoo!

Big money for the Powerball!

Thumbs Up

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Poke yepp that kitty is getting just about right for me to win Yes Nod

sully16's avatarsully16

Thats a nice amount, good luck everyone.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

$171 Million I like the sound of that...........Hurray!

youngmoney2

Damm I hope I win. This would be a dramatic hange ever. I would buy a Bugatti, Lamboghini, and a Bentley. Damm just the thought of winning it make me feel good. I'm a believer and I believe my dream will come true. If not this one, maybe the next one. But hey the best thing is...its always gonna be there. Seriously I don't need all of that bread, but if it comes I will gladly take it. Whenever I win, I know that I will not reveal myself to the public. Please keep it to yourself. It is very dangerous to let the media know you win all that money. Next thing you know people will be feening. Worst of all, you will not feel safe because alot of people will be jealous and want to take you down. So how do you live a good happy life after you win?.. The answer is simple...just hire a trust and take your money and keep it shhhhh. Give whatever little money that you want to contribute to charity so that they can think you're a good person evebthough you not.

KSplayer's avatarKSplayer

Well Saturday is my birthday so maybe it will bring me some good luck!!!!!

Good luck everyone!!!!

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!Blue Angel

And i know this is off subject but to those who will please pray for the families in KS, MO, and OK that have been hit hard by tornadoes this week.

petergrfn

A nice little Powerball Jackpot for ME before summer!   LOLHurray!         Good Luck to everyone on LP!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Getting close to the point where players start getting Lottery Fever.  I'll be buying a few tickets for Saturday's drawing just in case it doesn't reach that point.  I can be happy with $171 millions.

Savwa's avatarSavwa

I been dreamin about the number 88 all week.

Mario38

One more roll of the jackpot and then it is big enough for a group play. Good luck everyone.

sandia's avatarsandia

Oh Lord, the things ANYONE can do with THAT kind of money, of course taxes reduced it to a little over $60 million but LORD! The money, the money!

ThudEek

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on May 26, 2011

One more roll of the jackpot and then it is big enough for a group play. Good luck everyone.

There's the windup...

Get ready for the pitch.

Roll Eyes @ all the newbies & and thar comments ......

personally of Bugatti, Lamboghini, and a Bentleys and other high end toys ....

the only good one is one thats been toasted by it's own finely tuned innards and or vandalized

time*treat's avatartime*treat

All I got was another chance to practice my cussin'. Roll Eyes

APOBABOY

Well, us Californians are left out in the cold again...Mad

OwlCreekBridge's avatarOwlCreekBridge

Quote: Originally posted by APOBABOY on May 26, 2011

I thought California was supposed to have nice weather

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

At the job we bought 19 tickets, no powerplay. Then I plan to play my numbers so total money risked $3.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on May 26, 2011

At the job we bought 19 tickets, no powerplay. Then I plan to play my numbers so total money risked $3.

Look out Lottery Post friends ................ I just spent my $1 on the Powerball for Saturday!

Crazy

dusty55's avatardusty55

I think it's time for PB to hit on a ticket from Louisiana--MINE!!

PrisonerSix

Quote: Originally posted by dusty55 on May 26, 2011

I think it's time for PB to hit on a ticket from Louisiana--MINE!!

Or mine!

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

I am not hatin' but I am sure glad no one hit Powerball last night.  I had been swamped with work all day and it was around 8:30 PM when I finally got around to heading to my nearby convenience store of choice to buy my tickets.  Well, I bought two plays for Powerball, a QP and a self-pick and I only checked that the game and numbers were correct.  And I saw the date, but I had completely lost track of which day it was!  Also bought a Lotto ticket since the jackpot for that game is significant (over $20 million).  And so I thought I was covered for last night's drawings.  WRONG!!!  When I rechecked my tickets this afternoon, I realized that my Powerball tickets were for the Saturday drawing vice the Wednesday drawing.  I am still stuck in the time when 9PM marked the cutoff time for both Powerball, Mega Millions, and Lotto.  I totally forgot Powerball cutoff is 8:30PM.  So that is the only reason I was glad no one won since I didn't have a play in for Powerball after all.  I won't make that mistake again!!!

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Quote: Originally posted by APOBABOY on May 26, 2011

Yeah but you Californians have been winning Mega Millions on a frequent basis like the folks in Indiana and New York have both been winning Powerball and Mega Millions...so no sympathy here.  We Illinoians pay in but rarely win the big one.No Pity!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on May 26, 2011

I am not hatin' but I am sure glad no one hit Powerball last night.  I had been swamped with work all day and it was around 8:30 PM when I finally got around to heading to my nearby convenience store of choice to buy my tickets.  Well, I bought two plays for Powerball, a QP and a self-pick and I only checked that the game and numbers were correct.  And I saw the date, but I had completely lost track of which day it was!  Also bought a Lotto ticket since the jackpot for that game is significant (over $20 million).  And so I thought I was covered for last night's drawings.  WRONG!!!  When I rechecked my tickets this afternoon, I realized that my Powerball tickets were for the Saturday drawing vice the Wednesday drawing.  I am still stuck in the time when 9PM marked the cutoff time for both Powerball, Mega Millions, and Lotto.  I totally forgot Powerball cutoff is 8:30PM.  So that is the only reason I was glad no one won since I didn't have a play in for Powerball after all.  I won't make that mistake again!!!

In Ohio, all games except PowerBall can be played up to 15 min before its drawing.  MegaMillion can be played up to 10:45 PM EST on drawing night but PowerBall can only be played up to 10:00 PM EST on drawing night, so you have to remember which game you're playing.

Mario38

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 26, 2011

There's the windup...

Get ready for the pitch.

Give it a rest or get a new hobby.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on May 26, 2011

Give it a rest or get a new hobby.

Relax little guy, I see you're cranky tonight.

Were you jumping on the trampoline all day again?

You should really just buy some advertising, don't be such a cheapskate.

LOL

OwlCreekBridge's avatarOwlCreekBridge

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on May 26, 2011

you ever think, if you bought a quick pick before the 8:30PM cutoff, you would have been the one and only Powerball winner for that draw?

Grovel's avatarGrovel

Grab me two tickets with the power play. I would be happy with just the million.

Mario38

rdgrnr, you should make an effort to be more polite and follow the advice "if you have nothing good to say about a person, then say nothing at all".

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on May 27, 2011

rdgrnr, you should make an effort to be more polite and follow the advice "if you have nothing good to say about a person, then say nothing at all".

Ok, little guy, I'm in a good mood and you're my favorite little Canadien.

I almost feel like coming up there and taking you out for a burger and hot chips!

And then maybe we'll go to the Community Center and learn how to make Teriyaki Style Wolverine Jerky!

Mario38

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 27, 2011

Ok, little guy, I'm in a good mood and you're my favorite little Canadien.

I almost feel like coming up there and taking you out for a burger and hot chips!

And then maybe we'll go to the Community Center and learn how to make Teriyaki Style Wolverine Jerky!

You appear to know nothing about Canadians including how to spell the word. This is true of most Americans. It is too bad. There is a lot you could learn including how to be more civil.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

You appear to know nothing about Canadians including how to spell the word. This is true of most Americans. It is too bad. There is a lot you could learn including how to be more civil.

That's how the hockey team in Montreal spells it, little guy.

Does that mean they're Americans?

Mario38

That's how the hockey team in Montreal spells it, little guy.

Does that mean they're Americans?

Wow! I rest my case.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Wow! I rest my case.

Well you should rest your case, little guy; it's in your best interest when you don't even know you live in a bi-lingual country.

Canadian - English

Canadien - French

Wow is right!

Mario38

Well you should rest your case, little guy; it's in your best interest when you don't even know you live in a bi-lingual country.

Canadian - English

Canadien - French

Wow is right!

Good for you. You learned how to use Google. There is a big world out there for you to explore.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Good for you. You learned how to use Google. There is a big world out there for you to explore.

It appears someone Googled.

Study civics or history much?

Grovel's avatarGrovel

You should just stop trying to argue with rdgrnr. The guy is an idiot with nothing better to do. I just wished his grand children did not teach him how to use a computer.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Grovel on May 27, 2011

You should just stop trying to argue with rdgrnr. The guy is an idiot with nothing better to do. I just wished his grand children did not teach him how to use a computer.

Great grandkids, sonny boy.

Now go squeeze some grease out of your mullet and fry me up some chicken.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Canadian - English

Canadien - French

Wow is right!

LOL  US FlagWhite Bounce IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. ONE POWERBALL QUICK PICK TICKET  for 5/28/2011 drawing.1 in 195 million chance for the top prize

DO NOT LET MATH FOOL YOU.SOMEONE WILL WIN, THAT IS A FACT.

Piaceri

I'm feelin' lucky this week. Managed to reduce my to-do list with out adding to it. (knock on wood)  Found two pennies tails up, flipped them over for future luck.   White Bounce

CashWinner$

@ rdgrnr Type Your comebacks are hilarious...

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by youngmoney2 on May 26, 2011

Damm I hope I win. This would be a dramatic hange ever. I would buy a Bugatti, Lamboghini, and a Bentley. Damm just the thought of winning it make me feel good. I'm a believer and I believe my dream will come true. If not this one, maybe the next one. But hey the best thing is...its always gonna be there. Seriously I don't need all of that bread, but if it comes I will gladly take it. Whenever I win, I know that I will not reveal myself to the public. Please keep it to yourself. It is very dangerous to let the media know you win all that money. Next thing you know people will be feening. Worst of all, you will not feel safe because alot of people will be jealous and want to take you down. So how do you live a good happy life after you win?.. The answer is simple...just hire a trust and take your money and keep it shhhhh. Give whatever little money that you want to contribute to charity so that they can think you're a good person evebthough you not.

I, too, hope I win this jackpot.  I can feel the happiness when I envision of investing and spending the cash value amount! Hyper

Apparently, youngmoney2, you weren't aware that, depending on the state of the jackpot win, one MUST allow their image, etc. to be used by the lottery headquarters.  One rarely is allowed secrecy, as the lottery headquarters has indicated that our country's society DEMANDS proof of a person or group that won (odd, since my thought used to be that it is possible that the winners all know each other in some way that would probably be difficult to prove).

Don't forget that you will need to oversee all investments yourself.  Most financial investors/planners, are notorious of blowing up accounts, that is why they were available to hire by you (they have lost their own savings, and now have plenty of time available to lose yours too if you aren't keeping an active daily watch).

Genome

It would be extremely nice if I win. Someone from Massachusetts havent won a mega millions or powerball since 2004. So its time for MA to win again. I might pick the cash. I dont know if I should claim anonomysly with a trust. I like to see who wins jackpots, and I want all of lotterypost to know its a young dude and one of them.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by CashWinner$ on May 27, 2011

@ rdgrnr Type Your comebacks are hilarious...

Well, thank you kindly, Cash.

Those two little guys are ok though, they're just a little high strung is all.

ttech10's avatarttech10

Got my $1 towards tomorrows drawing when I went and got my $2 for tonights MegaMillions. May end up throwing some more at it tomorrow, I'm wanting the MM one more though. Still more than enough to live a care free life and not enough to have media searching all over for me, especially compared to win the PB hits.

CrazyHazyYay!'s avatarCrazyHazyYay!

Well, thank you kindly, Cash.

Those two little guys are ok though, they're just a little high strung is all.

Hahahahaha I was itchin' somethin' fierce to swoop in and defend your honor, rdgrnr, but it seems you are quite capable at putting these haters in their place. Especially that little guy who doesn't practice what he preaches. Don't them hypocrites just rile you up?! Anyway, keep it comin' with your southern wit, something I've missed dearly since moving from Georgia to NJ. Thank you kindly sir. And to those 2 disrespectful ignoramuses: if you run enough warm water between your legs, you will eventually get all the sand out of your genitals. Respect your elders! And lots of luck to everybody today!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by CrazyHazyYay! on May 28, 2011

Hahahahaha I was itchin' somethin' fierce to swoop in and defend your honor, rdgrnr, but it seems you are quite capable at putting these haters in their place. Especially that little guy who doesn't practice what he preaches. Don't them hypocrites just rile you up?! Anyway, keep it comin' with your southern wit, something I've missed dearly since moving from Georgia to NJ. Thank you kindly sir. And to those 2 disrespectful ignoramuses: if you run enough warm water between your legs, you will eventually get all the sand out of your genitals. Respect your elders! And lots of luck to everybody today!

Thanks Crazy but seriously, we're all friends here.

They're not haters or anything of the sort, they just get very nervous and excitable sometimes and for some reason I seem to have a soothing and calming effect on them. It's all good.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Pennsylvania needs a Jackpot Win ............. It's been too long .................

................. just waiting to be the Winner!

Sun Smiley

Mario38

Quote: Originally posted by CrazyHazyYay! on May 28, 2011

Ironic response CrazyHazyYay given your signature states "Stay classy LP'ers".

CashWinner$

Happy Saturday Everyone!

Luck Luck & Luck to all the lotto players tonight...

Me......I'm at the dock, just waiting for my ship to come in!!!Party

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by CashWinner$ on May 28, 2011

Happy Saturday Everyone!

Luck Luck & Luck to all the lotto players tonight...

Me......I'm at the dock, just waiting for my ship to come in!!!Party

Happy Saturday to you too, Cash!

I hope your ship comes in too!

My ship came in a couple times in my life.

Unfortunately, I was at the train station.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 28, 2011

At least we don't have to worry about that in my area of the country, all the train stations have been torn down or are museums.  Unfortunately, we don't have any docks for ships either.

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on May 28, 2011

Lol, just felt like stooping down for a minute, put myself in the shoes of the little guy... hahahaha ok just joking Mario38. I was simply annoyed because you started this whole thing by basically telling rdgrnr to shut up, which I thought was rude. And then you attempted to insult Americans but only displayed your own ignorance towards your country, which I thought was hilarious btw. However, you are correct for rebuking my own contradictions. An eye for an eye only means 2 folks can no longer enjoy them brand spankin' new 3D televisions they got out. So how about we all just let this thing simmer down now and be civil-like. Friends? Cheers

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on May 28, 2011

And I shall remove the latter part of my signature due to my hypocritical blunder as a peace gesture, my good sir Mario38.

ttech10's avatarttech10

Well someone won my MegaMillions last night so I'll be getting one or two more Powerball tickets and a Texas Lotto. If I'm going against the odds I might as well go all the way and try to bring home a PB win to accompany the states MM win.

Prob988

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 28, 2011

Well, probably your obvious confusion was the fault of Obama and those libruls.

It's not like you have any responsibility for the outcome of your own life.

CashWinner$

@ rdgrnr LOL - Wink Better luck next time!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Prob988 on May 29, 2011

Well, probably your obvious confusion was the fault of Obama and those libruls.

It's not like you have any responsibility for the outcome of your own life.

You're right, I've been lazy.

I should have been working hard to get one of those lifetime government entitlements "those libruls" have been passing out for years.

All I'd have to do is vote the way they tell me.

All I'd have to do is sell out my principles and core values.

All I'd have to do is give up my self-respect, my self-worth, my honor, my dignity and any semblance of being a man or having a backbone.

Kind of like you.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story