NJ Lottery to be first with live draws on Internet

Jun 29, 2011, 4:17 pm (29 comments)

New Jersey Lottery

Includes video report

By Todd Northrop

TRENTON, N.J. — The New Jersey Lottery will be the first state lottery to stream its lottery drawings live over the Internet — on Facebook.

The first live streamed drawing will be on July 1, 2011.

In addition to the live video streaming service, the lottery will also launch a new Web site at njlottery.net.

"This is an exciting time for New Jersey Lottery players, retailers, and staff," said Executive Director, Carole Hedinger. "Live streaming our draw online at NJLottery.net and Facebook will allow for players to interact with us and each other, making the draw a more dynamic experience."

According to Hedinger, the new Web site is designed to give players a more engaging experience online with New Jersey Lottery and the thousands of other players and retailers who buy, sell, and play lottery games.

Players who miss the live drawings will be able to view them later in the Web site's archives.

The New Jersey live streaming is different from other state lotteries that show drawing videos on the Web, because the New Jersey videos will be broadcast live over the Internet — like watching a live sporting event, as opposed to a taped one.

"Advancements in technology and media now make it possible for us to capture and broadcast our live draws as part of a larger-scale initiative at minimal expense," said Hedinger. "There's a great deal more to be seen and heard from New Jersey Lottery than winning numbers," she said.

The New Jersey Lottery Facebook page is located at www.facebook.com/newjerseylottery.

VIDEO: Watch the report

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

This is great. We do most everything on the internet nowadays so we might as well do this.Smile

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Jun 29, 2011

This is great. We do most everything on the internet nowadays so we might as well do this.Smile

I Agree!

Todd's avatarTodd

I have been writing about this for years, saying that it's the answer for a lottery that wants to keep real drawings, save money, and still provide live drawings to the public.  I am so happy to see that my home state is taking the lead.  It is absolutely the way to go.  In my opinion it is much better than even broadcasting it on TV, because the Internet is available everywhere these days, not just on a TV box that can receive certain channels.

Nice job NJ Lottery! Thumbs Up

JimmySand9

Yeah, except for one thing. The NJ Lottery have been streaming live draws already, for years. Go to http://www.state.nj.us/lottery/live/index.html, and click on "Today's Midday/Evening Drawing" come draw time. You need RealPlayer, though.

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

Now that is a straight up lottery.US Flag

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

Absolutely right Todd,

Was  glad to see that N.J. is doing this.  It will not only help economically  for the state, it will also help some of the players that couldn't watch on TV..

Nice move...! 

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

yea,the website was badly in need of an overhaul,i did't realize how bad until until i looked at other states sites

@Todd. how do i bring up the blue window to show what i replying to?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jun 29, 2011

@Todd. how do i bring up the blue window to show what i replying to?

Just mash down over the little box that says "Include this quoted text in your reply"

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 29, 2011

Just mash down over the little box that says "Include this quoted text in your reply"

thanks dude,don't know how i missed it,but there is so much here and i'm not that computer savey

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Tennessee is mulling over the idea of chiseling the winning numbers onto stone tablets.

Should be a real crowd pleaser.

Jersey ain't got nothin' on The Dragon Lady.

Tennessee is mulling over the idea of chiseling the winning numbers onto stone tablets.

Should be a real crowd pleaser.

Jersey ain't got nothin' on The Dragon Lady.

not sure who the Dragon lady is,maybe the head of the tennessee lottery?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

thanks dude,don't know how i missed it,but there is so much here and i'm not that computer savey

No problem, haymaker.

Welcome to Lottery Post and don't forget to check out all the Forums and the Quick Links on the left and the Search feature if you can't find something you want.

Best of luck to ya! LepYes NodThumbs Up

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

not sure who the Dragon lady is,maybe the head of the tennessee lottery?

That's the rumor.

That's the rumor.

does she breathe fire and burn winning tickets? LOL

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

I'll take this ridge runner....Not only that but she is in control of robbing your money and getting by with it.A legalize crook.I have studied this pick 3  for 4 years now.I've turned the numbers every way you can do with numbers,I've had 3 hits in 4 years...Yes I did stop playing....tired of losing ,the last scratch offs I bought was last year when I bought    8    $20.00 scratch offs,and nothing was on any of those.They were at the end of the roll and they were scanned by the clerk.If I had bought $ 160.00 of a $2 or $5  there would have been something....I hate the Tennessee lottery.Count your blessing you dont live here and want to play so bad and cant.

this is good news, but i have to wonder if there is any connection to  the changes happening to NJN ? where the live draws were broadcast.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jun 29, 2011

I have been writing about this for years, saying that it's the answer for a lottery that wants to keep real drawings, save money, and still provide live drawings to the public.  I am so happy to see that my home state is taking the lead.  It is absolutely the way to go.  In my opinion it is much better than even broadcasting it on TV, because the Internet is available everywhere these days, not just on a TV box that can receive certain channels.

Nice job NJ Lottery! Thumbs Up

Congrats Todd.

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

All lottery states will adopt this. The bandwagon has rolled out.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

WTG NJ.....Thumbs Up

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Welcome to the LP haymaker.....

NativeSlew67's avatarNativeSlew67

New Jersey is the first? Really? I watch Virginia LIVE on their website now for some time....

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by NativeSlew67 on Jun 29, 2011

New Jersey is the first? Really? I watch Virginia LIVE on their website now for some time....

if you have to sign up for facebook to see this, i say thumbs down. social networking has peaked like reality tv shows. just slap the numbers up on the late news which everyone watches or check it on a nj lottery website later...

four4me

Maryland lottery has drawings on their website as well as you tube.... been doing it for months now!

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by NativeSlew67 on Jun 29, 2011

No, Virginia does not show live streams.  They show mp4 files or something, which means they are archived ("taped").  As the article says, a live stream is shown to you right as it is happening, not 5 minutes later or an hour later -- LIVE.

Longarm

The Texas Lottery web site has been showing live drawings for some time now.  It shows at the draw times of 12:27 pm and 10:12 pm.  They even show a countdown for a few minutes before the draw.  At any other time, the page will show a recording of the last draw and a menu to view previous draws, but during the draws and for a few minutes before, they show a stream, a coundown followed by the draw.  The video page informs the viewer of the "Live Webcast" at the draw times.  The site also gives satellite coordinates to watch the draw that way.  I don't have a satellite so I've never seen that, but I'd assume the online stream is the same as the satellite transmission.  Sometimes during the countdown you can hear people talking, presumably in the draw studio.

I wasn't aware that other lotteries didn't have live streams.  It's good that it's spreading.

Quote: Originally posted by TnTicketlosers on Jun 29, 2011

I'll take this ridge runner....Not only that but she is in control of robbing your money and getting by with it.A legalize crook.I have studied this pick 3  for 4 years now.I've turned the numbers every way you can do with numbers,I've had 3 hits in 4 years...Yes I did stop playing....tired of losing ,the last scratch offs I bought was last year when I bought    8    $20.00 scratch offs,and nothing was on any of those.They were at the end of the roll and they were scanned by the clerk.If I had bought $ 160.00 of a $2 or $5  there would have been something....I hate the Tennessee lottery.Count your blessing you dont live here and want to play so bad and cant.

had no clue of this and tenn is on my list of places to escape to.

GASMETERGUY

Quote: Originally posted by diamondpalace on Jun 29, 2011

All lottery states will adopt this. The bandwagon has rolled out.

Tennessee will not.  We still paint the winning numbers on the rumps of mules and then turn the animals loose on I-40.

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Jun 29, 2011

Welcome to the LP haymaker.....

dallascowboyfan, thanks,i only regret waiting so long to join up,but started reading all the old posts and got so caught up in it i think i went all the way back to the beginning,in the older posts theres not to many replies,guess there were't that many members then. for anyone on here as a guest join up now,more fun when you can reply.and there's still plenty of time to go back and read the old ones.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story