Man scratches $3M Georgia Lottery prize in store

Jul 29, 2011, 12:51 pm (51 comments)

Georgia Lottery

By Todd Northrop

ATLANTA, Ga. — A food mart store manager in Cave Spring, Georgia, sold a winning Georgia Lottery ticket worth $3 million, and witnessed the genuine reaction of the surprised winner.

Marathon Food Mart, 150 Gadsden Road S.W. in Cave Spring, sold a winning $3 million top prize from the instant ticket $3,000,000 Taxes Paid.

Douglas Goffaux of Centre, Ala., claimed his prize July 25 at the Georgia Lottery's Dalton District Office.

"The winner scratched it right in front of me," said store manager Ashish Merchant. "For almost 20 minutes he was shaking. He was sitting in front of the counter."

Before scratching the ticket, Merchant asked Goffaux what he'd do with $1 million.

"He was about to fall from his chair," Merchant said of Goffaux upon discovering his $3 million surprise.

A sign outside of the store proclaims Marathon Food Mart as a lucky one.

"I feel very good that my customer got the winning ticket," he exclaimed.

$3,000,000 Taxes Paid is a Georgia Lottery instant game loaded with cash prizes, including top prizes of $3,000,000 after taxes. Players also can enter non-winning tickets into weekly extra chance drawings to win $20,000 after taxes.

News story photo(Click to display in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Sherita's avatarSherita

Congrats to Mr. Goffaux!

Dance

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I hope he was one of us but God bless him anyway.

karinda's avatarkarinda

Wow!  How wonderful. :) Congratulations to Mr. Goffaux! (I also now know never to never scratch a ticket in the store. If I ever won that much money, I'd probably pass-out and by the time I gained consciousness, the ticket would be gone. Confused ... Wink)

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

This also goes to show that driving a few miles to another state can pay off big time.

And that's why you see so many vehicles with Tennessee tags in borderline stores in neighboring states.

The Tennessee Lottery has sucked ever since the Dragon Lady took over and threw out the ball machines and put in computers.

Nobody trusts it like they used to, especially after the big computer cheating scandal she got caught at.

And all our state games suck anyway since she took over.

Everybody in my area spends their lottery money in Virginia.

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

Amen Brother,lets go to Georgia

TnTicketlosers's avatarTnTicketlosers

Wow I'm glad to see someone else on my side.I go to Georgia almost every saturday morning,I have a $40.00 win ticket on my kitchen table right now...

jimmy4164

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jul 29, 2011

I hope he was one of us but God bless him anyway.

Way to go Mr. G !!!

You had better be careful regarding your identity though - If rdgrnr decides you are a person that he deems not "one of us," he may lobby to have you disqualified.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by jimmy4164 on Jul 29, 2011

Way to go Mr. G !!!

You had better be careful regarding your identity though - If rdgrnr decides you are a person that he deems not "one of us," he may lobby to have you disqualified.

By "one of us" I meant a member of Lottery Post.

But I think you knew that, didn't you?

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Imagine that, a cool $3,000,000 and not having to pay taxes. And he lives in a state that is not tax greedy. He should be set for life if he is smart.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Jul 29, 2011

Imagine that, a cool $3,000,000 and not having to pay taxes. And he lives in a state that is not tax greedy. He should be set for life if he is smart.

congrats to the winner ! i'd imagine that taxes are still paid, just that the advertised JP is after taxes have been taken out. but a win is a win is a win ! and what a sweet win it is.

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jul 29, 2011

congrats to the winner ! i'd imagine that taxes are still paid, just that the advertised JP is after taxes have been taken out. but a win is a win is a win ! and what a sweet win it is.

Thast exactly what it is. I remember posting about this particular scratcher a while back when I drove to GA for some Mega Millions tickets. I bought a couple of these.

The back of the ticket says the actual prize is something like "4,500,000"...and after taxes it comes to $3,000,000.

I think all scratchers should be like this =) This man will indeed get $3 mill after taxes. Pretty awesome

jimmy4164

By "one of us" I meant a member of Lottery Post.

But I think you knew that, didn't you?

Actually, I did not!

Knowing you are capable of expressing the kind of sentiment found in this previous post, I think my first reaction could be expected.

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/232109/2137060

Perhaps readers here will benefit from the context as well.

https://www.lotterypost.com/blogentry/56215/viewcomments

dr65's avatardr65

150 Gadsden road! Eek

Hard to keep up with all the flak around here sometimes..and some posters seem to blend into each other...the posts

are the same, the subjects different.

From God, to flags to dead Presidents - there's always a debate/knock down, drag out/one upper going on.

One tried and true contributor is my favorite....Drum......rdgrnr! He can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

For all of you who've called him stupid in the past..he is clearly the most intelligent one in the bunch.

I saw a poster buckle today...I saw some other posters lose control....I saw others just go away due to sheer

frustration.

For those that claim to hate him, you gotta admit...he keeps you coming back for more.

Don't waste your time messing with Captain America.

dr65's avatardr65

.....and about that $3 Million!! WOW!! What a scratcher, that must've been a real thrill. I'm happy the scatcher didn't

drop dead. I might have.

PartyParty

summey828's avatarsummey828

WTG Mr.Goffaux!!

and rdgrnr rocks!!!he is one of my favorite posters.

sully16's avatarsully16

Actually, I did not!

Knowing you are capable of expressing the kind of sentiment found in this previous post, I think my first reaction could be expected.

Congrats Mr Goffaux,

Jimmy, grow up.

sully16's avatarsully16

Way to go Mr. G !!!

Why is your avatar wearing a bib?

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congrats Mr. Goffaux......Thumbs Up

Way to go Mr. G !!!

REALLY!!!! Jimmy it was pretty obvious that he meant an LP member, FYI Ridge has stood up for many races on this post...

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/223802

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/211976

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Actually, I did not!

You're a phony-baloney charlatan, Nancy. A fake and a fraud. You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it.

But I love when you re-run some of my "golden oldies."

You see, I have a bad memory and quickly forget things I've written.

So I'm not ashamed to say I laughed when I read the post of mine you referenced and then when I scrolled down to the one about you and truecricket wetnursing each other... well... I totally lost it! LMAO!

But why you want to dredge up all this stuff is beyond me.

You must be a glutton for punishment or something.

Quote: Originally posted by summey828 on Jul 29, 2011

WTG Mr.Goffaux!!

Thanks alot summey now Ridge is going to get the big head...LOL...ROFL

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Jul 29, 2011

Thanks alot summey now Ridge is going to get the big head...LOL...ROFL

Actually I'm kinda shy and bashful, dallas. Wink  Big Grin

summey828's avatarsummey828

Green laugh

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Jul 29, 2011

150 Gadsden road! Eek

Hard to keep up with all the flak around here sometimes..and some posters seem to blend into each other...the posts

From God, to flags to dead Presidents - there's always a debate/knock down, drag out/one upper going on.

One tried and true contributor is my favorite....Drum......rdgrnr! He can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

For all of you who've called him stupid in the past..he is clearly the most intelligent one in the bunch.

I saw a poster buckle today...I saw some other posters lose control....I saw others just go away due to sheer

frustration.

For those that claim to hate him, you gotta admit...he keeps you coming back for more.

dr65,

You are too kind, my friend.

Thank you.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by summey828 on Jul 29, 2011

WTG Mr.Goffaux!!

Thank you summey, I think you rock too.   Love

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

REALLY!!!! Jimmy it was pretty obvious that he meant an LP member, FYI Ridge has stood up for many races on this post...

Thanks dallas, but Nancy never lets the facts get in the way of a good story.

He needs dirty laundry for his gossip mill and he'll get it even if he has to use his own drawers.

jimmy4164

Really?  It was?  That depends on your perspective.

Your examples of rdgrnr's kind words were for Christians.

He has a different attitude toward others...

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/234640/2150259

CashWinner$

Ahhh, the good ole daze..

That Atheist thread sure did produce some funnyazzshizz...

LMAO - I gotta go back & reread me some a that..

Loved it !!  Green laugh

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I knew it, Nancy.

You like getting slapped around. That's creepy.

On another note, I've never seen you keep an avatar so long after I belabor you.

You must really like that guy. Who is he if you don't mind my asking?

jimmy4164

Really?  It was?  That depends on your perspective.

Your examples of rdgrnr's kind words were for Christians.

He has a different attitude toward others...

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/234640/2150259

Hey Cowboy!

Have you noticed how he slithers out of dealing with the evidence he is a racist Muslim hater?

He just ignores it.  I wonder how he treats the "little woman?"

The sad thing about the situation here is that except for joker17, truecritic, and myself,

his low brow racist rants seem to be acceptable...

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Back for another ass-whoopin' Nancy?

Or ya just wanna dance for me?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Don't act all shy and delicate, Nancy.

I hear you used to run with a pretty tough crowd in your neighborhood.

I heard a couple guys in your crew would grab a woman and hold her down while you did her hair.

CashWinner$

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jul 30, 2011

I heard a couple guys in your crew would grab a woman and hold her down while you did her hair.

Green laugh

I'm sorry but......................

I couldn't help it..

C'mon, lets loosen up & see things for what they really are......Forest / Trees type a thing..... LOL

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by CashWinner$ on Jul 30, 2011

Green laugh

I'm sorry but......................

I couldn't help it..

C'mon, lets loosen up & see things for what they really are......Forest / Trees type a thing..... LOL

Hey Cash!

Sho got tahd a payn dues

Lawdy mama, light mah fuze!

Oooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I think ya skeered him away Cash!

I think he's askeered a you!

CashWinner$

LOL Ridge, You CrayyyZayyyy Wink

WARNING!!!! ....DO NOT READ POST FROM RIDGE WHILE YOU ARE DRINKING!!!!! I am going to need a new monitor thanks to you...LOL... ROFLROFLROFL

Actually I'm kinda shy and bashful, dallas. Wink  Big Grin

now... now...now... Ridge the Dragon Lady might see this... LOLROFL

Fondant

I think ya skeered him away Cash!

I think he's askeered a you!

I have been a long time "lurker" but THIS thread, when I read it, finally got me to register.  Y'all have me laughing and that is quite the accomplishment. 

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread and particularly to rdgrnr.

Welcome to the LP Fondant......Thumbs Up

MattfromPA

Quote: Originally posted by dr65 on Jul 29, 2011

150 Gadsden road! Eek

frustration.

Hi, dr! I don't agree with him at all on politics and to a degree religion, but one thing missing in this country is that you can still be cordial to each other even if you are so apart on issues. I don't get into politics here because it sets me off. I respect him as a Lottery Post member, and I remember he wished me a happy birthday on that thread.

Back to the topic: that must have been so awesome! I think I might walk out of the store and collect myself in the car. If I won something that big, I also probably would not post it.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I can remember back in the Seventies reading of winners with a ticket worth that much thinking they needed protection when they went to lottery head quarters to collect their winnings and would hire a couple of local off-duty policemen to accomplished them.  I wonder how this guy felt holding his ticket in a public place knowing others around him knew he had a bearer instrument worth $3M, I imagined he didn't want strangers bumping into him as he walked out the store.

James1's avatarJames1

I bought a roll of this scratch off in Georgia and I recall I doubled my money. 1st ticket even won $300

I like the format that you actually get $3 Million after taxes

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

I never hear about big time scratcher winners here in the state of California.Seems like the only states that have big time scratcher winners are in the states of Georgia and Florida.California scratchers suck. Sad

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Way to go Mr.Goffaux! Jester

I am hoping for a very nice story about me sometime soon! (Maybe after Wednesday) Big Grin

cloud9's avatarcloud9

I wish i could get that lucky my luck has been on a spiral and i can't seem to shake it looseBang Head but Congratulations to the winner do your thang!!!Banana

nelliemarie

i wish oklahoma lottery would come up with a scratcher like this.

Embarassed

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Fondant on Jul 30, 2011

I have been a long time "lurker" but THIS thread, when I read it, finally got me to register.  Y'all have me laughing and that is quite the accomplishment. 

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread and particularly to rdgrnr.

Thank you Fondant, I am humbled.

Simba774

Congrats to him, but I never scratch tickets in the store. I don't even check powerball  and mega million tickets in the store. I check them online, but if I check online and it happens to be a winner. I might go check it in the store just to see the those blue letters revel I'm now a muti millionaire. But I would go when the store is not too busy. I think it would be great if it were to happen tonight.Hurray!

TheRightPrice

Wow , what a great story, and a great ticket. I wish Florida would be on par with other states in terms of scratchers and second chance promotions

TheRightPrice

I also like that the second chance for 20 Grand  is being done WEEKLY. That's awesome

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story