Powerball lottery jackpot increased to $180 million

Aug 4, 2011, 7:26 am (47 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

The multi-state Powerball lottery drawing took place last night without any jackpot winners, causing the new jackpot for Saturday's drawing to grow to an estimated $180 million, with a cash option of $100.3 million.

Wednesday night was the 10th consecutive drawing without a jackpot winner.

Even though there were no jackpot winners, 13 lucky tickets matched the first five numbers for a $200,000 second-place prize: 1 from Arkansas, 2 from Connecticut, 1 from Florida, 1 from Illinois, 1 from Kansas, 1 from Massachusetts, 1 from Minnesota, 1 from New York, 1 from North Carolina, and 3 from Ohio.

The ticket sold in Arkansas was purchased with the Power Play option, multiplying the prize to a sizeable $1 million. It was sold in Tuckerman (in Jackson County) at EZ Mart 429.

54 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. Of those tickets, 15 also were purchased with the Power Play option, multiplying the prize by 2 for a total cash prize of $20,000.

The Powerball winning numbers for Wednesday, August 3, were 13, 19, 21, 28, and 49, with Powerall number 11. The Power Play number was 2.

The last Powerball jackpot to reach or exceed the size of the upcoming Saturday drawing was on June 1, 2011, when one ticket from New York won a $200 million grand prize.

A total of 1,290,407 tickets across the USA won more than $10.5 million in prizes playing "America's Game" Wednesday. 182,411 of those winning tickets were purchased with the Power Play option, which multiplied the prize by 2.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is multiplied from 2-5 times, depending on a computerized random number generated that evening. Second-place Power Play-enabled tickets matching five numbers but not the Powerball are always multiplied by 5 times, for a $1 million prize.

Powerball is now played in 41 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

The Powerball winning numbers are published at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) minutes after the drawing takes place.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Woo Hoo ............... !

Ima gonna win the big one .............

I Hope 1 person wins

Sun Smiley

Grovel's avatarGrovel

I wish I was that 1 million dollar winner in arkansas. I would hae been happy with that.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

$180 Million sounds good to me........

Fondant

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Aug 4, 2011

AGREED!

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

its about time its growing

100 million cash, that's the level i start buying 2 tickets

now here hoping it makes it to 150 million cash or 300m  level persay for pb

and then i can really buy some tickets

thro i won't enjoy paying 2 bucks  per ticket come 2012, but they say it make pb have more of these high jackpots more often....

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Aug 4, 2011

Skeptical sounds good to me too ...... but breaking the $200 Million mark sounds even better Lep

freeobama's avatarfreeobama

I would not mind the cash option of  71.4 million deposited into my account after taxes!Dance

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Let's get em!

sandia's avatarsandia

Quote: Originally posted by diamondpalace on Aug 4, 2011

Let's get em!

Diamondpalace, I agree let's. That is, if Powerball jackpot favors TEXAS!Thumbs Up

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by sandia on Aug 4, 2011

Diamondpalace, I agree let's. That is, if Powerball jackpot favors TEXAS!Thumbs Up

Hell Yeah!   White Bounce

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Aug 4, 2011

Hell Yeah!   White Bounce

Hey, what about Tennessee?

T for Texas

T for Tennessee

T for Thelma

The gal that made a wreck outta me.

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Quote: Originally posted by sandia on Aug 4, 2011

I have a feeling there will be more than one jackpot winners, whenever the winning numbers arrive for players. To me, which is good.

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Too bad we don't have Power Ball in my state.

thePharaoh's avatarthePharaoh

$180 million!  yes i gonna play!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

$180 million ................. Bentley Continental Supersports can run on E85 ............... I am willing to go Green !

Crazy

CrazyHazyYay!'s avatarCrazyHazyYay!

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Aug 5, 2011

$180 million ................. Bentley Continental Supersports can run on E85 ............... I am willing to go Green !

Crazy

I'm sure with that kind of money, you can make any car go green.

dk1421's avatardk1421

I got my 2 tickets!!! I may even buy another one!

Woohoo - big spender! But you can't win unless you have at least one!

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I'll get 10 quick picks and wait for the drawing.

With this kind of bread, you can disappear and enjoy your life for years  if you follow these 9 steps;

a) Confirm you have the winning tickets on the lottery website

b) Get a good financial manager from Fidelity or wherever and plan your financial life

c) Secretly move from your apartment and change telephone numbers and discard your car.

d) Delete your facebook accounts and things like those 

e)Go claim your jp and leave the news scene asap.

f) Quit your job

g) Help out the people you care for and then tell them "no more!"

i) Live happily ever after.

What do you guys think? did I miss anything?

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by dk1421 on Aug 5, 2011

I got my 2 tickets!!! I may even buy another one!

Woohoo - big spender! But you can't win unless you have at least one!

I Agree! Thumbs Up

I got my $2 worth!

Maybe an extra $1 ............... I will claim as soon as I rent a hiding place!

Pondering as I listen to Ian Anderson performing with the London Symphony Orchestra! (on vinyl) "The lunatic is in my head"

TheOtherOne's avatarTheOtherOne

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Aug 5, 2011

With this kind of bread, you can disappear and enjoy your life for years  if you follow these 9 steps;

b) Get a good financial manager from Fidelity or wherever and plan your financial life

c) Secretly move from your apartment and change telephone numbers and discard your car.

f) Quit your job

Yes after a) should read something like:
A).1: Setup a generic corporation to mask your true identity.

Why do u recommend getting rid of your car?

Quote: Originally posted by TheOtherOne on Aug 5, 2011

Yes after a) should read something like:
A).1: Setup a generic corporation to mask your true identity.

Why do u recommend getting rid of your car?

In MA they won't let a corporation/trust claim your jackpot. They would die before they let you do that. Delaware is awesome.

I drive a rusty 2004 chevy cavalier. It depresses me everytime I think about it.

maxamillion's avatarmaxamillion

Too bad we don't have something like Euromillions where the advertised jackpot IS the actual amount.

Advertising the annuitized jackpot is like consumer packaging that states in the small print:

"Enlarged to show detail" or "Serving Suggestion".  In other words, what is shown is not exactly what you get.

How many winners elect to take the annuitized amount? Very few to none it appears.

When the recently won Euromillion jackpot  was advertised at 185,000,000 euros,  that's what it was.

(And tax free to boot).

185,000,000 euros is about US$263,000,000, but that would be advertised as a "$472,000,000" jackpot.

Odds for winning Euromillions jackpot:  1 in 116,531,800   Cost of ticket:  2 euros (about  US$2.84)

Odss for winning Powerball jackpot:      1 in 195,249,054   Cost of ticket: $1 ( increases to $2 in January 2012)

There have been rumors of a US national lottery with tickets costing $5.

Possibly the cross-selling was a market test for that. If consumers would purchase tickets for both multi-state lotteries then perhaps they would be willing to purchase one ticket (at a higher price) for one lottery with larger jackpots.

If you rolled Megamillions and Powerball jackpots int one MegaPower jackpot  you might see jackpots (annuitized) advertised up to $500,000,000  (with an actual cash value just slightly over half that amount)

Is the 2012 increase in cost of PB tickets to $2 a market test to see if there is support for a $5 ticket cost??

What are the odds of a US national lottery jackpot being tax-free?

Lump sum. Tax free. The way a lottery ought to be.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

f) Quit your job

"What do you guys think? did I miss anything?"

Yeah, you left out the party bus with all the booze and broads!

Genome

Really I didnt know they wont allow trusts to claim in MA. I'd get rid of my car too which is a 1993 Corolla. With all that money I think I would go crazy trying to decide what brand new car I want.

f) Quit your job

I can think of a few things ...... but nutting all that important Roll Eyes

Quote: Originally posted by Genome on Aug 5, 2011

Really I didnt know they wont allow trusts to claim in MA. I'd get rid of my car too which is a 1993 Corolla. With all that money I think I would go crazy trying to decide what brand new car I want.

Oh my goodness! I spoke too soon. I checked the website and saw a few jp winners of the megabucks game have claimed it as a trust.

I am so glad I was wrong. But what I dont understand is this, if people can form trusts, why do we have so many of them on the websites frontpage

with their pictures and names? its a mystery.

myturn08

180 million im gonna crack open my piggy bank tomorrow and take my chances :-)

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 5, 2011

my wife will not let me do this ! Smash

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 4, 2011

T for Texas

T for Tennessee

T for Thelma

Oh hell no. Tennessee doesn't even have the right color of orange. They got that halloween orange instead of the burnt orange color of a gorgeous setting sun. Embarassed

Texas needs a Powerball winner. I volunteer to be the first victim. See Ya!

Piaceri

f) Quit your job

B.1) Get a good estate attorney

B.2) Get a good CPA

Makes a nice trifecta for finance, legal/estate, & taxes.  Also consider a Family Limited Partnership to claim the funds rather than a trust. A good estate atty can advise you on the differences in your particular state.

In regards to claiming in a trust name, your personal name will also be released in most cases as we've seen before.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Aug 5, 2011

Oh hell no. Tennessee doesn't even have the right color of orange. They got that halloween orange instead of the burnt orange color of a gorgeous setting sun. Embarassed

Texas needs a Powerball winner. I volunteer to be the first victim. See Ya!

No, we call it chaingang orange here.

Most of our athletes have done time or soon will be.

CashWinner$

Had to run outta town earlier, and when I'm somewhere different, I like 2 get a few quick picks 4 the hell of it.

Long story short, evidently MN is running a PowerBall promo right now where random ticket purchasers win a free QP.

I was Random. Hope its a LUCKY one Hyper!!

P.S. Good Luck 2morro 2 all the Lotto Players here at LP.. Lets win some major BANK $$$

Party

Trillionaire

f) Quit your job

Sounds like a good plan. You should also get a good accountant and a good attorney as part of your team of adivsors.

Practise saying "no" because you will have a lot of people sticking their hands out for some of your cash.

And please ignore Ridge's advice about a party bus with booze and broads. This is just asking for trouble. Get under the radar and stay there.

Trillionaire

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 4, 2011

T for Texas

T for Tennessee

T for Thelma

Sorry to hear that Thelma caused some Turbulence in your life, Ridge.

Trillionaire

Booze and Broads on a Party Bus spells TROUBLE.

ONEDAY's avatarONEDAY

I usually dont play the pick6 but I game to win the 180 millon...

if i win..this is my last post!

blessings to all.Embarassed

thePharaoh's avatarthePharaoh

f) Quit your job

Roger that!

TRUEBELIEVER's avatarTRUEBELIEVER

looks like its time for a nc win long losing streak here also so ill break it for nc here in oxford,nc its all mine  but good luck to all.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Trillionaire on Aug 6, 2011

Sorry to hear that Thelma caused some Turbulence in your life, Ridge.

She drove me to drink.

And it's haunted me ever since that I never took the time to thank her for it.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Trillionaire on Aug 6, 2011

Booze and Broads on a Party Bus spells TROUBLE.

Booze and broads spells FUN where I come from son.

Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo!

Lawdy Mama, Light my Fuze!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by CashWinner$ on Aug 6, 2011

Had to run outta town earlier, and when I'm somewhere different, I like 2 get a few quick picks 4 the hell of it.

Long story short, evidently MN is running a PowerBall promo right now where random ticket purchasers win a free QP.

I was Random. Hope its a LUCKY one Hyper!!

P.S. Good Luck 2morro 2 all the Lotto Players here at LP.. Lets win some major BANK $$$

Party

Good luck 2morrow 2u2 Cash! May B good 4chin is meant 2B! Don't 4get 2 buy a ticket, 10-4?

Type its gonna hit in Va again and its gonna be me

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Aug 6, 2011

Type its gonna hit in Va again and its gonna be me

The last VA winner still hasn't claimed yet, far as I know.

Maybe they lost the ticket?!

Lep I think that PA is long overdue for a big winner! (from Scottdale PA)

Piaceri

No, we call it chaingang orange here.

Most of our athletes have done time or soon will be.

Gotcha.

Y'all can just tear your tickets up now, cuz PB is gonna hit in Texas and I already volunteered to be the guiney-pig first Texas PB winner.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Aug 6, 2011

Gotcha.

Y'all can just tear your tickets up now, cuz PB is gonna hit in Texas and I already volunteered to be the guiney-pig first Texas PB winner.

Nope ..... not gunna do it .......... PA hasn't won since February 2009 .......... it is our turn!

Sun Smiley

CashWinner$

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 6, 2011

Good luck 2morrow 2u2 Cash! May B good 4chin is meant 2B! Don't 4get 2 buy a ticket, 10-4?

LoL Ridge..

Thanks - Got it covered.. LOL

looks like I got my wish ...... $220 million for Wednesday Razz

now if I could just buy that Big winner

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story