$220 MILLION: Powerball lottery jackpot ramps up

Aug 7, 2011, 8:27 am (59 comments)

Powerball

Only third time in past year to reach $200M

By Todd Northrop

There was no jackpot winner in the Saturday night drawing of the multi-state Powerball game, causing the grand prize to increase to an estimated $220 million for Wednesday's drawing.

Saturday was the 11th consecutive drawing without a jackpot winner.

The estimated cash value for the new jackpot is $118.8 Million.  After-tax cash and annuity prize amounts are reported state-by-state at USA Mega, a web site devoted to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery games.

Players should note that jackpot amounts are conservative estimates provided by the lotteries, and are often somewhat higher by the time the drawing occurs.

Even though there were no jackpot winners, 8 lucky tickets matched the first five numbers for a $200,000 second-place prize: 1 from Idaho, 1 from Nebraska, 1 from New Jersey, 4 from New York, and 1 from Pennsylvania.  None of the second-place tickets were purchased with the Power Play option — if they were, those tickets would be worth $1 million.

62 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000.  Of those tickets, 5 also were purchased with the Power Play option, multiplying the prize by 3 for a total cash prize of $30,000.

The Powerball winning numbers for Saturday, August 6, were 25, 30, 54, 57, and 59, with Powerball number 6.  The Power Play number was 3.

Wednesday's drawing will be only the third time in the past year that players are vying for a $200 million jackpot.  On June 1, 2011, a group of 20 Costco workers from New York won $200 million prize, and on April 6, 2011, two men who worked together as welders in the small Southern Indiana town of Clarksville snagged a $221.7 million Powerball jackpot.  But one would have to look all the way back to June 2, 2010 to find the last jackpot greater than $200 million.  In that drawing, one ticket sold in Ohio won a $261.6 million Powerball jackpot — the the winner claimed the prize anonymously.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is multiplied from 2-5 times, depending on a computerized random number generated that evening.  Second-place Power Play-enabled tickets matching five numbers but not the Powerball are always multiplied by 5 times, for a $1 million prize.

Powerball is now played in 42 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Powerball lottery results are published within minutes of the drawing at USA Mega.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

real tax rate being max 35% for this jackpot level opf jackpot, irs will get their "fair obama share" of high way robbery if you win it and take cash

u have 77,220,000 atfer the irs visits you in a year.

plus state tax's tod mega list's already list's , got to love the govt getting rich off jackpot's winners

anywoot,   hope one of us on here wins it, we need to give todd A jackpot winner to interview

dk1421's avatardk1421

Good luck to ALL of us!!!

Guru101's avatarGuru101

It will roll to 280M and I will win it.Razz

Piaceri

Let it roll ...  unless I win it. White Bounce $118.8m.  I'm willing to let Uncle Sam have his (cough) 'fair share' (cough) of 35%. Grudgingly.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

If I win I'm thinking of signing everybody up for the "Jelly of the Month Club".

I'm just thinking about it, nothing definite, so don't get all excited yet

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

1) PLAY MORE OFTEN FOR LESS LINES.A LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT of 1 LINE for every powerball or mega millions drawing does not seem like a bad a idea if your goal is to hit one of those elusive second prizes or the jackpot.https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/234945

LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT= 1 LINE FOR EVERY DRAW

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Good luck everyone. Bring out your best systems, intuition, lucky charms it will be rocking on Wednesday.

Grace $Favour

Quote: Originally posted by joshuacloak on Aug 7, 2011

real tax rate being max 35% for this jackpot level opf jackpot, irs will get their "fair obama share" of high way robbery if you win it and take cash

u have 77,220,000 atfer the irs visits you in a year.

plus state tax's tod mega list's already list's , got to love the govt getting rich off jackpot's winners

anywoot,   hope one of us on here wins it, we need to give todd A jackpot winner to interview

Amen to that !!!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I am ready for my $77 million after 35%!

It is high time for PA to have a big winner!

I am ready to go green .................

............ green with money ........... and a Bentley that runs on E85

Jester don't worry about me going crazy with the money ......... I take medication!

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Aug 7, 2011

Jester don't worry about me going crazy with the money ......... I take medication!

Type  phooey on a Bentley that runs on E85 and I think you needs stronger meds Dpoly1

that or a Dr that actually knows what s/he is doing Yes Nod 

heres hoping one of us LP addicts gets it this wednesday or b4 it goes to $2 a ticket Hiding Behind Computer

RJOh's avatarRJOh

It has been over a year since anyone in Ohio claimed part of a PB jackpot, it's about time and I'm hoping it's me.  It has also been over a years since anyone claimed the local jackpot of Classic Lotto which is at $40M+, if I can't win PB, then I would be happy to win it instead.  Good luck everyone, $200M+ jackpots is as good as it gets.

sandia's avatarsandia

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 7, 2011

It has been over a year since anyone in Ohio claimed part of a PB jackpot, it's about time and I'm hoping it's me.  It has also been over a years since anyone claimed the local jackpot of Classic Lotto which is at $40M+, if I can't win PB, then I would be happy to win it instead.  Good luck everyone, $200M+ jackpots is as good as it gets.

It has been NEVER since Texas won the PB jackpot. Crossing my fingers, hoping I could be the lucky one.BananaDance

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

rarely play PB, maybe i'll take a chance this next draw,anyone know if its ever hit in jersey ?

LottoAce's avatarLottoAce

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 7, 2011

Yeah, I remember going to Michigan back in June and playing on that Ohio Classic pot.
still got some bet slips for it at the house; might fill em out and send to my Brother-n-law
to play for me. I can't believe nobody has hit that yet.

as for the Powerball let it roll!!!

I want to see another 300 million dollar pot split by a bunch of city workers!
*sarcastically speaking of course*

Maybe the fed workers will get it this time, seeings how our dear
president decided to put a freeze on our yearly cost of living raises!

Quote: Originally posted by LottoAce on Aug 7, 2011

Yeah, I remember going to Michigan back in June and playing on that Ohio Classic pot.
still got some bet slips for it at the house; might fill em out and send to my Brother-n-law
to play for me. I can't believe nobody has hit that yet.

as for the Powerball let it roll!!!

I want to see another 300 million dollar pot split by a bunch of city workers!
*sarcastically speaking of course*

Maybe the fed workers will get it this time, seeings how our dear
president decided to put a freeze on our yearly cost of living raises!

i guess its  ok to mail bet slips, but some one on here mentioned a while back that its illegal to mail tix, so if you win have a storey ready about how you took a trip to ohio on the day your bro. bought the tix.

LottoLin

Come on Ohio has  been hitting Mega Millions, let Wisconsin have a chance at it. It's been a while since WI. has hit a JackPot on either one Never on Mega Millions and a long dry spell for Power  Ball. We've had people from out of state come in and buy tickets and hit the JackPot, but it doesn't do the WI. people any good they take the winnings to another state. So Heres hoping someone from WI. knocks it off. I would prefer it be me, but a Wisconsinite will be OK.

But Good Luck to All Players.

CashWinner$

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Aug 7, 2011

Let it roll ...  unless I win it. White Bounce $118.8m.  I'm willing to let Uncle Sam have his (cough) 'fair share' (cough) of 35%. Grudgingly.

LoL - I agree!  Dance

CashWinner$

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 7, 2011

If I win I'm thinking of signing everybody up for the "Jelly of the Month Club".

LOL  "Jelly of the Month Club"..

Piaceri

I'd prefer wine of the month, the drinking kind. Better yet, sign me up for booze of the month. Thank you very much ... when it's definite.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Aug 7, 2011

I had an F-150 that ran on E85. Filled it once. Saved a little bit on the price, but before I got to the traffic light outside of the parking lot, my est miles to E goes from 583 to 460. I don't believe I saved anything. 

So, I traded the F-150 E85 in for a true green car, a Toyota Camry.  I believe the official color is called Aloe Metallic.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Aug 7, 2011

I'd prefer wine of the month, the drinking kind. Better yet, sign me up for booze of the month. Thank you very much ... when it's definite.

Actually, I've been getting so many PM's asking me if Prune is one of the Jelly's of the Month and asking me to substitute something else that I'm getting a little bit put out by the whole thing.

To all those who asked:

Yes, I checked, Prune is one of the monthly selections.

And no, you can't substitute something else for it.

In April you will get PRUNE JELLY, so GET OVER IT!

Now, GET OFF MY BACK!

You know, Piaceri, I dabble in commodities and import/export and occasionally bid on sundry odd lots. Sometimes great values can be obtained sight unseen from parties that need to divest themselves of things and liquidate them in short order at large discounts.

Long story short, I have recently come into possession of a whole warehouse full of  product in Europe that I had to move on very quickly or lose as is the case with a lot of these transactions. Sometimes you bid on a product without even knowing what it is because the potential reward can be so great.

So I now have a whole warehouse full of yes, you guessed it, Romanian Mustache Wax.

It comes in jars with a picture on the front of some East European looking, smiling goof with a big handlebar mustache.

And  I think I'm going to send a year's supply of mustache wax instead of the "Jelly of the Month Club"  to everybody who PM'd me to complain about the prune jelly.

But I will send you booze because that is a reasonable request.

Piaceri

Actually, I've been getting so many PM's asking me if Prune is one of the Jelly's of the Month and asking me to substitute something else that I'm getting a little bit put out by the whole thing.

To all those who asked:

Yes, I checked, Prune is one of the monthly selections.

And no, you can't substitute something else for it.

In April you will get PRUNE JELLY, so GET OVER IT!

Now, GET OFF MY BACK!

You know, Piaceri, I dabble in commodities and import/export and occasionally bid on sundry odd lots. Sometimes great values can be obtained sight unseen from parties that need to divest themselves of things and liquidate them in short order at large discounts.

Long story short, I have recently come into possession of a whole warehouse full of  product in Europe that I had to move on very quickly or lose as is the case with a lot of these transactions. Sometimes you bid on a product without even knowing what it is because the potential reward can be so great.

So I now have a whole warehouse full of yes, you guessed it, Romanian Mustache Wax.

It comes in jars with a picture on the front of some East European looking, smiling goof with a big handlebar mustache.

And  I think I'm going to send a year's supply of mustache wax instead of the "Jelly of the Month Club"  to everybody who PM'd me to complain about the prune jelly.

But I will send you booze because that is a reasonable request.

Ha Ha Ha! Mustache Wax of the Month Club! Perfect for all the whiners (the non drinking kind). Genius. 

Thank you. I'll look forward to my booze of the month when you when the PB.  It won't be this week. I'm planning on that one for me. I'll send you the Founding Fathers Quote of the Week Club membership.  Or maybe I'll send a Thomas Jefferson Quote of the Month to Deltawhatshername in your name. Green laugh

petergrfn

Bah....You guys must not of heard yet.   I bought the lucky ticket today in the good old Carolinas!!  Coming back from a Wonderfull weekend in the Smokey Mountains!   You will hear of an Anon. Trust taking the Powerball Jackpot and that will be the last the media ever hear from me!!   LOL!!!  Jester Laugh

tnhope's avatartnhope

good luck everyoneSmile

SlowLikeHoney

Quote: Originally posted by LottoLin on Aug 7, 2011

Come on Ohio has  been hitting Mega Millions, let Wisconsin have a chance at it. It's been a while since WI. has hit a JackPot on either one Never on Mega Millions and a long dry spell for Power  Ball. We've had people from out of state come in and buy tickets and hit the JackPot, but it doesn't do the WI. people any good they take the winnings to another state. So Heres hoping someone from WI. knocks it off. I would prefer it be me, but a Wisconsinite will be OK.

But Good Luck to All Players.

Though I really couldn't imagine any WI jackpot winners staying in Wisconsin... long enough to do any good for the people there.

So it seems a lot more fair to let one of the transplants, living like expats, in the middle of nowhere, like several of those condemned to reside in the state of Oklahoma, that have better odds of moving to Wisconsin to help all the good and honest people there; while also plotting to buy out the company which left them stranded in these foreign lands because a sad, slightly vindictive dream leaves some hope on the horizon.

But if I win, I'll vow to import at least one hunk of cheese from WI, to showcase our national unity through a benevolent gesture that will surely ease the margin lines of the karmic debt.. while also chanting neener, neener, neener and setting jars of prune jam on my lawn (which sounds like might be more effective and cost effective than hiring a security detail).

but likewise... good luck all around.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by sandia on Aug 7, 2011

It has been NEVER since Texas won the PB jackpot. Crossing my fingers, hoping I could be the lucky one.BananaDance

Did you forget about the $141.4M PB jackpot won on 02/06/10?

TRUEBELIEVER's avatarTRUEBELIEVER

i dont care how much the gov takes its still more then i had and got right now so as long as they leave me some im good

thePharaoh's avatarthePharaoh

can't wait

sandia's avatarsandia

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 8, 2011

No RJOh, I did not forget because, Texas has YET to win the powerball jackpot. Smile

Grovel's avatarGrovel

Just grabbred me 4 tickets with the power play this morning. I am feeling really lucky today.

sandia's avatarsandia

Quote: Originally posted by Grovel on Aug 8, 2011

Just grabbred me 4 tickets with the power play this morning. I am feeling really lucky today.

Good luck, Grovel however, Texas wants to claim this one.White Bounce

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

$220 million sounds good to me......

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Aug 8, 2011

$220 million sounds good to me......

Nice number, 22 is a master number in numerolgy.

Same here!

raked in $21 on last drawing by matching 3 numbers with power play.

This morning just bought 10 lines with pb, let's say I'm hoping for this thing to click!!

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Aug 8, 2011

u right, means someone deff gonna win and dats me or might no be me!

gdluck ladies and gentlemen

KSplayer's avatarKSplayer

I bought my $1 QP yesterday, we all play to win or we wouldn't buy tickets. Winning would be the greatest thing for many people who are level headed and prepared for suddenly becoming that rich. I would love to win but i don't expect it to happen to me but i will continue buying my $1 QP for each drawling in hope the dreams do come true!   GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! 

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!!!!!Blue Angel

dk1421's avatardk1421

I'm actually, truly starting to freak out over what's going on in the US - and the stock market crashing.

I could really use the win!

Twitch time to toss another couple dollars into the wishing well .....

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Purchased 5 quick picks ................. the reference to the Bentley that runs on E85 was just a bit of sarcastic hyperbole ........... I see a Bentley as a piece of useful kinetic artwork !

seemingly ostentatious purchases keep people employed and "spread the wealth" the way a free market economy intends!

best wishes to all Lottery Post Members, but Pennsylvania is long overdue for the big Jackpot !

Oh ............. and my ticket will be far away from the washing machine !!!!!!!!!

Dance

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I'm happy to announce that after consultation with people who according to my studies are somewhat on a par with the world's leading scientists, that we've come up with an amazing discovery that could end the world's suffering from boils and carbuncles.

It was a miracle discovery derived and formulated after years of painstaking research.

I'm going to call it "Amazing Miracle Carbuncle Cure". 

It's a secret blend of rare, hard to find, imported Romanian Mustache Wax and Super Fancy, Grade A, Gourmet Prune Jelly. It's a healing, soothing salve that you can apply to all your boils and carbuncles for quick relief.

I'll forward information on Kiosk Franchise opportunities as soon as it becomes available.

And I will be giving a years supply of Carbuncle Cure in lieu of the previously offered Jelly of the Month Club subscription should I win the Powerball.

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Dispite the high jackpot amount I'm just going to toss $1 at it. The numbers will be going through assembly line of filtering for best match. No high hopes, just having fun.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Aug 8, 2011

Thanks Sully.......That's also Emmitt Smith , Elgin Baylor, Doug Flutie & Bob Hayes #Hurray!

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 8, 2011

Not won in Texas, but in NC.

But you will read about a Texas PB winner on 08/10/11. Cool

Grovel's avatarGrovel

I went to get a MM ticket for tomorrow night and the clerk accidently gave me a PB ticket instead. I decided to keep it, since you always hear about people winning on tickets that were printed by accident.

I went to get a MM ticket for tomorrow night and the clerk accidently gave me a PB ticket instead. I decided to keep it, since you always hear about people winning on tickets that were printed by accident.

ya, i would keep it too,but sometimes i wonder if clerks do this on purpose to sell more tickets.

use bet slips and the can't do it.

ignore this link.https://www.lotterypost.com/news/235041/2161273

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

Thats the gift that keeps on giving Clark

Simba774

I would love for this to be my family! My stepdad can retire,  my parents can buy their dream home, I can buy my dream apartment! I can get all the other animals I have always wanted. Buy all the stuff I have always wanted. I would cry tears of joy. The first thing we would do after is contact some lawayers, go look at some apartments and start packing. I think it's dangerous to stay in your old place after you have won, even if you don't show your face on television, which we will not do.  We will start packing right after we have won.  We will call my brother after he have moved, because he's very loud. The people in our neigborhood know us and they know we play. We don't want them to know we won and my brother would probably blow our cover. We have a lot of stuff and It's going to take a little while to pack, but we will pack everyday until night fall. Most of the stuff is value to use, so we're taking nearly all of it.  PartyLet be us. Give to Illinois for a change! So far only one person has won here since the PB made to this state and it was a split jackpot. Come here!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by B$Rizzle on Aug 8, 2011

Thats the gift that keeps on giving Clark

I can't talk now, I've got a squirrel on my back!

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 9, 2011

I can't talk now, I've got a squirrel on my back!

Gonna be getting lucky in a few minutes for the man in the hills of Tenn...Anything can and will happen there....Use protection...!!!!...

Simba774

The drawing is tonight. It's going to be real lame if it's New York again, but I bet it might be New York again. If only it would make a stop in my home tonight.Hyper

Piaceri

Lottery terminal communications were down in the Houston area between 5 and 6 today. They may still be down. Good thing I got my PB tickets this morning. Tried to cash my $100 scratcher (that I bought with winnings from a $100 scratcher Wink ) at the grocery store, but they could not scan it. 

Good luck everyone, especially those of us here in Texas. May the PB hit tonight in Texas, or roll baby roll!

White Bounce

freeobama's avatarfreeobama

Would not mind 77 million in my bank account after taxes!Dance

tatie1979's avatartatie1979

GOODLUCK TO EVERYONE WHO PLAYS THE 220 MILL PB Party!!!!!!!!

Simba774

Well, someone or more than one in Minnesota is 220 million dollars richer. Too bad I live in Illinois. Sometimes I just want to quick the lottery all together. Better luck next time.Sad Cheers

Quote: Originally posted by Simba774 on Aug 11, 2011

Well, someone or more than one in Minnesota is 220 million dollars richer. Too bad I live in Illinois. Sometimes I just want to quick the lottery all together. Better luck next time.Sad Cheers

Razz @ the rotten winner/s ...... I hope they find the ticket after it's been washed  and made worthless

well heres to the next big pot Cheers

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

The crowd grows restless as the vigil for the Minnesota winner begins and Jade and CashWinner$ are mysteriously silent...

dkwillis2000's avatardkwillis2000

Looking through my address book for all my Minnesota relatives .............................................bummer, found none!  I know they are out there somewhere -- and they probably have the ticket.  Do you think they will call me?

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Aug 11, 2011

Razz @ the rotten winner/s ...... I hope they find the ticket after it's been washed  and made worthless

well heres to the next big pot Cheers

Every time I excited that it was won in the midwest, the next jackpot is won nowhere near us!LOL

Well, at least my family still has that 7 hundred, 77 dollar winning scratch off ticket. You cannot quit your job, but it's still great to win anything.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story