$80,000 lottery ticket dropped in church collection plate

Aug 31, 2011, 8:38 am (35 comments)

Georgia Lottery

COLUMBUS, Ga. — Jerry's Mart convenient store is often referred to as "the lucky store," Manager Junior Patel said.

The walls are plastered with winning tickets, the highest totaling $750,000 and soon another will be added. One lucky person picked up a $3 Lemon Doubler Cashword ticket and was fortunate enough to scratch off $80,000 what they did next was even more unbelievable.

The unknown winner placed the winning ticket in the collection plate at Cathedral of Prayer Church in Columbus, donating every penny of the cash earnings to the church.

"The money is going towards the church and we have to supply the food for the neighborhood, the clothing, everything costs and we give this stuff away free," says Alfonzo Riggins.

Riggins has been attending cathedral of prayer church for the past 15 years, He also handles security for the pastor and first lady of the church.

He says he has already received criticisms from people in the community about the church accepting the money.

"God said a blessing is a blessing you know, no one at the church played the lottery so it had to be an outsider that came in and did this," Riggins said.

Gloria Rodgers, chief financial officer of Cathedral of Prayer, spoke on behalf of the church, claiming the prize Aug. 26 at the Georgia Lottery's Columbus District Office.

"It's an excellent thing," she said. "People in the community have come by and put lottery winnings in the offering through the years."

The $80,000 prize is by far the largest they've received.

"When we saw this, we didn't know," Rodgers added.

According to Rodgers, burglars stripped the air conditioning unit of its copper three weeks ago, leaving the edifice without cool air. The anonymous donation will go toward fixing the unit.

"Everybody is just thrilled," she said. "We're thankful."

Church members leaving Bible study had no idea about the huge donation their church had gotten but agreed that it was in fact a gift from above.

"Everything comes from God, everything is a blessing however we received it, and it's a blessing I'm not telling anybody to go out and gamble but however God gave it to you then receives it as that," Riggins said. "I haven't found out yet and I'm not going to ask that question unless it's given to me as a direct order to figure out where it came from."

For now this church's $80,000 blessing will for now remain a mystery.

WSFA, WAFB, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

luckyshoes's avatarluckyshoes

Thats a very nice story. I hope it made the person feel really good doing it.

sully16's avatarsully16

What a wonderful thing to do, nice story.

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

great hearted person . god bless him . it takes a lot for a person to do something big like that .

heads off and respect for the player .

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Manager Junior Patel?

This is deja vu all over again.

And his first name is "Junior"? That's a hillbilly name! Hell, half the ol' boys on my mountain are named Junior. I wonder if he has a brother named Bubba Patel? Well, I guess it's a better name than Harddik Patel from another news story. He was notable. Harddik really stuck out.

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 31, 2011

Manager Junior Patel?

And his first name is "Junior"? That's a hillbilly name! Hell, half the ol' boys on my mountain are named Junior. I wonder if he has a brother named Bubba Patel? Well, I guess it's a better name than Harddik Patel from another news story. He was notable. Harddik really stuck out.

ooo my rd you made me fall of ma chair . this is a good one hillbilly hahahah a.  another patel oo boy . this one has lots of winning tickets hanging soo hope its not theirs hahaha buba patel lol

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Aug 31, 2011

What a wonderful thing to do, nice story.

The person knows they can't take it with them: So they are sending it on ahead!

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

Blue AngelI agree this is in deed a wonderful story may God continue to bless that church and the anonymous donor something is telling me that he or she belives in tithing whole heartly

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by cbr$ on Aug 31, 2011

Blue AngelI agree this is in deed a wonderful story may God continue to bless that church and the anonymous donor something is telling me that he or she belives in tithing whole heartly

Times 10! Thumbs Up

happygirl665's avatarhappygirl665

This is a nice story and I definately would have given money but not sure if I would have given the whole amount. Perhaps the the 10 percent that is required according the bible..

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by happygirl665 on Aug 31, 2011

This is a nice story and I definately would have given money but not sure if I would have given the whole amount. Perhaps the the 10 percent that is required according the bible..

Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide! Thumbs Up

Raven62's avatarRaven62

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 31, 2011

Manager Junior Patel?

He may be consanguineous to you! Thumbs Up

TheRightPrice

What a great story. But on the other hand I could use that cash as well to pay bills

Justwinbaby

If a person is already blessed then giving the money away seems to be the right thing to do. I know when I win the lottery if I won something else then I would be inclined to give most if not all of it away. To whom much is given much is also required. And there's a blessing in being able to see beyond self to provide favor to someone else. I pray that God pours back into the spirit of the person who gave up his/her ticket to help this church.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

The lucky winner was also clever enough to not take it back to the store for Mr. Patel Red Devil to have a peek at.

joker17

Why bother buying a ticket just to give ALL away?

Truckstop

Quote: Originally posted by joker17 on Aug 31, 2011

I won't give it away either, but People can do what they want with their winning and their money. What I don't understand is people that do not sign their tickets or scratch off right away after purchased them. it avoid a lot of trouble if you lose your ticket or a retailer tries to steal it and claim it. Easy to say : You won 2$, when in fact you won 2 Millions dollar...

martingorgeous's avatarmartingorgeous

What a beautiful gift! But Alfonzo Riggins said that people were already criticising the church for accepting the money. While Gloria Rodgers said "and it's a blessing I'm not telling anybody to go out and gamble..."

Why do so many religious people believe that playing the lottery is sinful? And why do they believe the winning money is tainted? Don't they know that the Holy Land was divided by lottery. Read Numbers 26:55-56 in the Bible. The names of the 12 tribes were written down and put in a box, and the coordinates of the 12 territories into which the land was divided was put in another box. Then pairs of lots - one from each box were drawn. And a temple priest presided over the whole draw.

Sometimes (when we are having a difficult time) we may lose faith in the lottery. It is then that we should remember that the Holy Land was divided by lottery.  Blue Angel

Sherita's avatarSherita

Just left Jerry's and the employee's and fellow lottery player's are excited about the winning ticket and the generosity of the donor.Hurray!WTG!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

That's something that you and your kind are incapable of understanding.

So don't worry about it.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I would give 10% to church/charity like Yahweh himself has adviced in the good book.

Lets see, Feds take 25%, MA state taxes take 5%, Yahweh takes 10% and I'm left with

$48,000 and hopefully no paying Uncle Sam more taxes at the end of the year. I want to win $80,000 too

temptustoo's avatartemptustoo

He says that no one at the church plays the lottery.. That is a very ignorant statement..

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Yes, it's a very nice gesture.

I still want to know who pays the tax on this. I'm pretty sure the state and I'm really sure the feds aren't going to let $80,000 go tax free.

If the church goes the tax-exempt route (can they on this?) then the tax people are going to think it's a scam, the winner "gives" the ticket to the church, let's the church cash it in, 0 taxes, and the ticket buyer and the church go dibs. Even if that wasn't the player's intention, that's what the tax people will take it as.

Ever heard of the Universal Life Church? It still exists. There was a big scam in the 1980s. You pay to get "ordained". Then you declare yourself a "church". You "donate" all your money to the church and then turn around and take out what you need to live on.

You can't get that on anymore, but the "church" sztill exists.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Raven62 on Aug 31, 2011

He may be consanguineous to you! Thumbs Up

No, he never sang nothin to me!

I don't even know the dude. 

And I don't roll like that anyway.

grave

those patel's seems to own a store everywhere.........

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

Quote: Originally posted by Justwinbaby on Aug 31, 2011

If a person is already blessed then giving the money away seems to be the right thing to do. I know when I win the lottery if I won something else then I would be inclined to give most if not all of it away. To whom much is given much is also required. And there's a blessing in being able to see beyond self to provide favor to someone else. I pray that God pours back into the spirit of the person who gave up his/her ticket to help this church.

i think it already has.Blue Angel

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Because A) you have a cause you want to support with more money than you have, but

B) you can't get into public office to use other people's money to support it.

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Quote: Originally posted by happygirl665 on Aug 31, 2011

Well according to the NT, the "tenth" portion or 10 percent was something required under the law in the OT.  In the NT, the Word says over and over that God loves a cheerful giver, not one who gives out of compulsion.  To say that 10 percent is required by God is in direct contradiction with the NT.  In Hebrews, it even states that all those things required under the law to be "righteous" have been annulled.  So God does not require a person to give 10 percent.  If the person's heart feels like giving 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, or even 100 percent, the only thing God asks is that the person has done so cheerfully and willingly, not out of compulsion.  Then, and only then will that person be blessed.  You may wonder why so many people in churches today are sticking to the law and giving at least 10 percent and not being blessed...I bet (yes I do bet on the lottery) those people are grudgingly giving that amount.  So no blessings.  Peace.  Now for all the Bible scholars to flame me.....standing by!

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Quote: Originally posted by martingorgeous on Aug 31, 2011

What a beautiful gift! But Alfonzo Riggins said that people were already criticising the church for accepting the money. While Gloria Rodgers said "and it's a blessing I'm not telling anybody to go out and gamble..."

Why do so many religious people believe that playing the lottery is sinful? And why do they believe the winning money is tainted? Don't they know that the Holy Land was divided by lottery. Read Numbers 26:55-56 in the Bible. The names of the 12 tribes were written down and put in a box, and the coordinates of the 12 territories into which the land was divided was put in another box. Then pairs of lots - one from each box were drawn. And a temple priest presided over the whole draw.

Sometimes (when we are having a difficult time) we may lose faith in the lottery. It is then that we should remember that the Holy Land was divided by lottery.  Blue Angel

I Agree! I think people today take the Bible out of context as it relates to giving.  The lottery was definitely alive and well in Biblical days.

cynod

A

Ya know you don't hear this stuff everyday.  Its refreshing to hear this all happen.  I have to say I would probably  done the same thing however not with that ticket.   Something like the Powerball winnings.  1 mil fun for me, 1-2 mil, put into dividend stock, set for the rest of my life, the rest, distribute to different churches.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Aug 31, 2011

I would give 10% to church/charity like Yahweh himself has adviced in the good book.

Lets see, Feds take 25%, MA state taxes take 5%, Yahweh takes 10% and I'm left with

$48,000 and hopefully no paying Uncle Sam more taxes at the end of the year. I want to win $80,000 too

Correction:  "Feds get 25%" INITIALLY.  However, upon winner's receival of monies, a good accountant (not many exist for hire) should recommend [since the Lottery Headquarters will not] that winner pays the (unmentioned/unadvertised) remainder of the due 10% to the Federal Government within a month or so of receiving.  This way, the Feds don't get to charge their additional/trick "late payment" fees! 

Therefore, 35% of $$s awarded will be collected (via 2 payments) by the Federal Government in the U.S.A. -- NEVER forget that huge 10% remainder be paid before distributing shares of received funds to friend, family, etc.

Patriot

skypekaitas6

Dear Rev. Fr.  When I was born I was left abanndonned under the statue of a saint in a catholic church in Nauru island,  an australian territory. I was taken by an 88 old lady by borth and she left a fortune of 500 million AUD to raise me up till age of 18-20.  I grew up isolated and spotless of sin inspite of the tormil world. I am gifted by god to predict lottery and keno numbers of any lottery or keno on this earth, and i have done this for many organisations and bodies and public too. my total winnings in lotery and keno not by luck is around 100 million us dollars in 20 years period span, but to win this amount i ahd to play or invest around 30 million us dollars.

besides any scratche, without being scratched only by touching it, i can tell it holds money or not, and this is true, i have won or told a shop owner in denmark, his shop-asif koisk, in copenhagen roughly 10 years ago from bundles of 10,000 scratches coming to his shop, for around 5 years he the shop owner asked my helpå and finally one day from the immense bundles i asked him to cut the strip and his step daughter scratch it, and it was winning 13,000 DKK (2000 us dollars) per month for 13 years, or 2000x12x13 us dollars.  so father lottery is not gambling and if you need more money i can promise you its possible with around 30 percent investment. please accept the money for the church as just as some have gifts so too some have hearts to give what god bless them.

my prayers and blessings i pray to the person for his kindness of donating.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by skypekaitas6 on Sep 7, 2011

Dear Rev. Fr.  When I was born I was left abanndonned under the statue of a saint in a catholic church in Nauru island,  an australian territory. I was taken by an 88 old lady by borth and she left a fortune of 500 million AUD to raise me up till age of 18-20.  I grew up isolated and spotless of sin inspite of the tormil world. I am gifted by god to predict lottery and keno numbers of any lottery or keno on this earth, and i have done this for many organisations and bodies and public too. my total winnings in lotery and keno not by luck is around 100 million us dollars in 20 years period span, but to win this amount i ahd to play or invest around 30 million us dollars.

besides any scratche, without being scratched only by touching it, i can tell it holds money or not, and this is true, i have won or told a shop owner in denmark, his shop-asif koisk, in copenhagen roughly 10 years ago from bundles of 10,000 scratches coming to his shop, for around 5 years he the shop owner asked my helpå and finally one day from the immense bundles i asked him to cut the strip and his step daughter scratch it, and it was winning 13,000 DKK (2000 us dollars) per month for 13 years, or 2000x12x13 us dollars.  so father lottery is not gambling and if you need more money i can promise you its possible with around 30 percent investment. please accept the money for the church as just as some have gifts so too some have hearts to give what god bless them.

my prayers and blessings i pray to the person for his kindness of donating.

What?

I'll have whatever you're havin'.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by cbr$ on Aug 31, 2011

I Agree!

solomonjohnson

Solomon Johnson The Clever Giver has been doing this since the Texas Lottery was established in 1992 for this is the reason He prayed for its legalization in Texas where there was no lottery. Read his stories "The Clever Giver" By Solomon Johnson, DBA SOLOMON JOHNSON THE CLEVER GIVER! This is the type of movement the book the book and story tells about.  Even "The World Wide Iraqi Dinar Clever Giver Windfall" also. Google Solomon Johnson The Clever Giver and See how far back this goes.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by solomonjohnson on Sep 10, 2011

Solomon Johnson The Clever Giver has been doing this since the Texas Lottery was established in 1992 for this is the reason He prayed for its legalization in Texas where there was no lottery. Read his stories "The Clever Giver" By Solomon Johnson, DBA SOLOMON JOHNSON THE CLEVER GIVER! This is the type of movement the book the book and story tells about.  Even "The World Wide Iraqi Dinar Clever Giver Windfall" also. Google Solomon Johnson The Clever Giver and See how far back this goes.

No, you mean Solomon Burke, that's who you're trying to think of, there ain't no Solomon Jackson or whatever.

Now Solomon Burke was a good singer that just died last year.

He inspired a lot of people with his songs like "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love."  Remember that one? Yeah, that was Solomon Burke. I don't think he wrote no book called the Clever Diver or whatever either. I don't think he even knew how to swim. That must have been somebody else.

So that's the guy you're trying to think of, yeah, Solomon Burke.

Nobody ever heard of no Solomon Jackson.

Solomon Burke even inspired Wilson Pickett to sing a few of his songs. Do you remember Wilson Pickett? Yeah, the "Wicked Pickett" they called him, remember that?

He did "The Land of a Thousand Dances." Remember that one?

Yeah, it goes like this here:

1-2-3
1-2-3
Ow! Uh! Alright! Uh!

Got to know how to pony
Like Bony Maroney
Mash potato, do the alligator
Put your hands on your hips, yeah
Let your backbone slip
Do the Watusi
Like my little Lucy
Hey! Uh!

Na na-na-na-na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na na-na-na-na
I need somebody to help me say it one time
(Na na-na-na-na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na na-na-na-na )
Wo--ow! 

Wow! Uh! You know I feel alright! Huh! I feel pretty good y'all
Uh! Huh!
Na na-na-na-na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na na-na-na-na
Come on y'all, let's say it one more time
(Na na-na-na-na na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na na-na-na-na )
Ooow!

Playing, it is a habit
With long tall Sally
Twistin' with Lucy
Doin' the Watusi
Roll over on your back
I like it like that
Do that Jerk-uh
Watch me work y'all
Ow! Do it!
Wow! Do it!
Just watch me do it

Aah help me
Aah help me
Aah help me
Aah help me

Yeah that was cool, I don't remember it though.

Waaaaaaaaay before my time, dude.

Well at least I jogged your memory so you get the name right, Solomon Burke.

Just keep repeating it over and over to yourself like this: Solomon Burke, Solomon Burke, Solomon Burke, Solomon Burke, that way you won't forget it!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story