Ohio man sues for share of $99M lottery jackpot

Sep 4, 2011, 5:24 pm (53 comments)

Mega Millions

An employee of a Geauga County cabinetry company has sued 22 of his co-workers for denying him a share of a $99 million lottery jackpot.

And, last week, a judge ordered the Ohio Lottery Commission to set aside about $2 million until Edward Hairston's claim is resolved in a trial.

Hairston contends that every month for eight years he pitched $5 into a lottery pool with co-workers at the KraftMaid company in Middlefield. While recuperating from a back injury, however, he failed to make contributions for lottery drawings in June, July and August.

Unfortunately for Hairston, the KraftMaid group picked the correct six numbers on a Mega Millions drawing on Aug. 5. After taxes and cash option costs, each member of the group stood to receive about $2 million.

Hairston showed up the next day to claim a share of the winnings, according to the lawsuit, but was told he was no longer a part of the group. He had missed three months worth of payments, and the other members had kicked him out.

"So, for a lack of $15, it cost him $2 million," said his lawyer, Howard Mishkind, who filed a lawsuit last month in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court.

The group's unwritten policy for years had been to cover for colleagues who were unable to make a monthly payment because of illness, vacation or other reasons, Mishkind said. The money would come from an account containing past winnings of smaller amounts.

On one occasion, the group made payments on behalf of a missing member for five months while she was on medical leave, the lawyer said. Hairston also covered for an absent co-worker with money out of his own pocket.

"I guess you can draw whatever conclusions you want to explain the defendants' motivation," Mishkind said. "Money sometimes has a way of changing a person."

Kerin Lyn Kaminski, a lawyer representing the winners, said the decision by the group to deny Hairston a share was nothing personal. Most of them work in the same building, and in the same department, and are fond of Hairston, she said.

Kaminski said the size of group varies from month-to-month, and that two people who participated in the pool in July didn't play in August when they won the jackpot — but didn't sue for a share.

She denied that special provisions were made in the past for absentee members of the pool, or that emailed reminders were sent to other members but not to Hairston, as he claims in the lawsuit.

"Put yourself in their position," Kaminiski said. "Everybody wishes everybody could win, but it doesn't always work out that way.

"These people are the salt of the earth, and hardworking," she said. "I really like these people. Some of them had a hard time getting by. We should all be glad they won."

Several of the winners already have quit their jobs at KitchenMaid, said Mishkind and Kaminski.

Beverly Kaser, one of three winners from Garrettsville, and the only defendant who could be reached for this story, declined to talk on the advice of her lawyer. Other winners reside in Mentor, Chardon, Painesville, Middlefield, Burton and Aurora.

Hairston, 39, of Youngstown, also declined to comment.

His lawyer said he is married with a 10-year-old daughter. He has worked at KraftMaid for 14 years, most recently as a logistics agent. Now, he needs a walker to get around, but hopes to recover from his back problems to return to work.

"He is doing what he believes, in principle, to be the right thing," Mishkind said. "It's not easy for him to stand up to these folks, especially when he intends to go back to work. But he feels he's not getting all that he is entitled to."

In court last week, Judge Eileen T. Gallagher ordered the Lottery Commission to set aside 1/23rd of the Mega Millions jackpot, and to release the rest of the money — minus taxes and fees — to the 22 defendants in the lawsuit.

They haven't received their winnings yet, but should within several days, lottery officials said.

Gallagher scheduled a jury trial for Dec. 12 to decide Hairston's legal claim.

Plain Dealer

Comments

Sherita's avatarSherita

Reminds me of that ol' saying 'You win some and you loose some.' I hope that he has good proof!

time*treat's avatartime*treat

"The group's unwritten policy ..." <-- well right there's the problem. Roll Eyes

TheRightPrice

I am sorry but Lottery Pools are a bad idea. This keeps hapening over and over again.

You might think your cEvil Looking-workers are nice people, but when money is involved, they'll back stab you in a heartbeat.

Warning to all lottery pools out there, put whatever policy you come -up with in writing and get it notarized.

TheRightPrice

If you do a search on LP for "LRed Devilttery PoEvil Lookingl  Sue" and there is story after story after of this happening.

JWBlue

Quote: Originally posted by TheRightPrice on Sep 4, 2011

I am sorry but Lottery Pools are a bad idea. This keeps hapening over and over again.

You might think your cEvil Looking-workers are nice people, but when money is involved, they'll back stab you in a heartbeat.

Warning to all lottery pools out there, put whatever policy you come -up with in writing and get it notarized.

I don't think there is a problem with lottery pools.  They need to be run correctly.

I would put the rules in writing.  There would be a deadline for submitting the money for tickets. 

There would be not be a provision for paying for people who are absent that day of work and can not pay the money out of their own pcoket.

I would also have the rules state can not sue if they do not play that week, and they do not win.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Running a lottery pool is worst than running a small business, now participants expect to be covered if injured, sick or become unemployed, some employers don't offer those kinds of benefits.

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Sorry, if you don't pay, you are not in the pool. And if you are not in the pool, you don't get to collect the money.

acehigh$

give the man his money

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by acehigh$ on Sep 4, 2011

give the man his money

Maybe I'm a softy with this kinda stuff but I'd be in favor of giving the guy a share if I was in the group.

Especially if he was putting his money in faithfully for 8 years until he went in the hospital and was a friend on top of it.

I think cutting him out would be a rotten thing to do at this point.

You don't cut your friends loose like that over money.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

If you haven't payed, you haven't played !!!  No No This is why I never play in a lottery pool !

I have won $3 in each of the last 3 Powerball Drawings ! Maybe my recent dream of winning the jackpot is just around the corner !

TheRightPrice

Like I said before.

Stack47

"While recuperating from a back injury, however, he failed to make contributions for lottery drawings in June, July and August."

Tough call on this one because if these guys really were friends, at least one would contacted him just to see how he was doing. Maybe it will come out in court that he was asked to continue playing and declined. A 1/22 share isn't that much more than a 1/23 so there has to be a "the rest of the story".

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

this is cruel sht...  i mean all those people who won the money they couldnt  think like a dmn human being and give the guy something . im sure he would be happy with it and wouldnt bother doing the  lawsuit . but beside that who knows whats the real story is . money change people in a split second .  another case of hillbillys

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by surimaribo24 on Sep 4, 2011

this is cruel sht...  i mean all those people who won the money they couldnt  think like a dmn human being and give the guy something . im sure he would be happy with it and wouldnt bother doing the  lawsuit . but beside that who knows whats the real story is . money change people in a split second .  another case of hillbillys

You know I'm gonna have to getcha fer that some day suri. lol

They ain't no hillbillies in Ohio anyway. Thems all hicks up there.

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Sep 4, 2011

You know I'm gonna have to getcha fer that some day suri. lol

They ain't no hillbillies in Ohio anyway. Thems all hicks up there.

hahahhaah rdg  i know you will .

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

i my self never play in a group

but if i was member of this group, and someone who didn't help pay for the tickets that drawing tryed to claim, them, their be no lawsuit, their be a dead body. of the person trying to do theft

its very simple, you dont buy a ticket you dont win

you ether buy a ticket or helped via buying into a group buy, etc 

he did not play,he does not win

seeing reports of countless lottery winners being bugged by family, friends, etc on lottery shows, just makes me think, a lot of evil people, or dumb however you see it

think their have a enlentment to your winnings

just like dems think they have a entitlement to rich people money, lottery winners, have people close to them, with a entitlement thinking

this guy, is clearly such a case,     they use abuse of laws, they use the courts, and if their a lawyer and a greedy entitlement person wanting hes "fair share"  when he didnt do jack for it,   he sue

they can go beep them selfs,  the lawyer helping this guy sue them, should be locked up for crime of attempted theft.

all you guys saying, they should of have clear written rules , etc, your so corrent, but people are not smartest,   some people sure use codes of respest,  and rightness

this guy is a crook, pissed off he missed out of millions,   and now trying to steal via "LEGAL" way

this is american justice being abused, the courts are now used to harm people, to steal others money,

Starr920

"On one occasion, the group made payments on behalf of a missing member for five months while she was on medical leave, the lawyer said. Hairston also covered for an absent co-worker with money out of his own pocket. ...... She denied that special provisions were made in the past for absentee members of the pool, or that emailed reminders were sent to other members but not to Hairston, as he claims in the lawsuit."

Very shady behaviour on both sides but that's what money will do to some people.  Hairston should have made sure he paid the $5 every month so there would be no problem.  Why didn't he just contact someone in the group to make sure he was covered? 

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on Sep 4, 2011

"The group's unwritten policy ..." <-- well right there's the problem. Roll Eyes

I Agree! Paper and ink people.

bushy5588

I  would recommend a salery deduction policy.

konane's avatarkonane

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Sep 5, 2011

I Agree! Paper and ink people.

I Agree!

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

A perfect example of why I go it alone. Money make people do crazy things. It is win-win for the lawyers.

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on Sep 5, 2011

A perfect example of why I go it alone. Money make people do crazy things. It is win-win for the lawyers.

true dat I Agree!

jarasan's avatarjarasan

Go alone best policy IMHO.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Starr920 on Sep 5, 2011

"On one occasion, the group made payments on behalf of a missing member for five months while she was on medical leave, the lawyer said. Hairston also covered for an absent co-worker with money out of his own pocket. ...... She denied that special provisions were made in the past for absentee members of the pool, or that emailed reminders were sent to other members but not to Hairston, as he claims in the lawsuit."

Very shady behaviour on both sides but that's what money will do to some people.  Hairston should have made sure he paid the $5 every month so there would be no problem.  Why didn't he just contact someone in the group to make sure he was covered? 

Why didn't he just contact someone in the group to make sure he was covered? 

He was money ahead until they won.  Besides, he was probably buying tickets on his own and had he won he wouldn't be sharing it with his ex-coworkers who have faithfully hung with him for eight years.

TheRightPrice

Right now on "The Lottery Changed My Life" shows 15 co-workers that won 207 million in the Ohio Lottery.

They were sued by 3 other co-workers

Upon investigation, the 3 had to drop their lawsuit due to lack of proof that they were ever in the pool.

Beware folks, mEvil Lookingney brings out the worst in peRed Devilple.

Keep records, get your agreement notarized. Players beware.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I hope all of the future big winners are individuals for at least a year !

Dance

TheRightPrice

Quote: Originally posted by TheRightPrice on Sep 5, 2011

Right now on "The Lottery Changed My Life" shows 15 co-workers that won 207 million in the Ohio Lottery.

They were sued by 3 other co-workers

Upon investigation, the 3 had to drop their lawsuit due to lack of proof that they were ever in the pool.

Beware folks, mEvil Lookingney brings out the worst in peRed Devilple.

Keep records, get your agreement notarized. Players beware.

yet another story of in CA of a pool that won 315 million in Megamillions. A co-worker sued claiming he/she was part of the pool. After a 1.5 years of litigation, the case was dismissed.Sulk Off

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

This right here represents what is wrong with this country...that ENTITLEMENT attitude.  Just because a worker works for a company for X amount of years, that worker thinks he/she is a "part" of the company and is owed something.  If you don't own shares of a company, the company only owes you what it is contractually bound to pay you for labor and benefits, as applicable.  Just because a person plays the lottery in a pool for X amount of years, but was not contractually "IN" when the numbers hit, that pool does not owe that player a red cent. 

I agree that lottery pools are bad news.  First of all, they really kill the major benefit of winning a huge jackpot when it is divided up amongst all the participants.  I would much rather be a 40 year old 25M+ winner than one of X pool players walking away with under 2M.  Sure, winning 2M will change one's life, but you still have to be super conservative as that amount really represents the amount one can retire from work and maintain the SAME standard of living they currently enjoy in most cases (assumption is that person is already living within current income means).  However, winning 25M+ allows for a person to at least splurge on a ultra luxury item like a Bentley, Maybach, etc, purchase a reasonable 900,000 to 2,000,000 home, and travel in first class style at least once a month without seriously breaking the bank. 

But if I were inclined to play a lottery pool (I am not), I would have every contingency covered in the rules.  The written rules would cover eligibility (i.e. person must be a current employee of ABC company so as to avoid issue of those who leave the company for whatever reason; presumably most work lottery pools do their collection business at place of employment so that is the logic), amount of monthly contribution to be considered "IN", payout guidelines (i.e. small wins will be "reinvested" to increase number of tickets purchased when say jackpot reaches a certain level, not as a bail out the deadbeat fund), and monthly roster w/signatures of each contributor.  Additionally, no entry on the contributor list can be made without 3 designated persons verifying contribution made (this would preclude a buddy of the treasurer slipping said treasurer a contribution after the fact to get in on the winnings...yeah I know that might rarely happen, but the fact that it could should mean that measures are put in place to stop it from happening). 

So as you can see, playing in a pool is more work on the front end and it takes the excitement out of even the possibility of winning IMHO.  I would much rather just go to my favorite retail location by my lonesome, play my combination of QPs and own picks, and hope for the best.  When I wake up to the day my numbers match, I can rest assured that I will not be facing any potential lawsuits from anyone seeking to claim a share in the winnings because it was ME, MYSELF, and I that purchased that winning ticket.

TheRightPrice

Quote: Originally posted by OldSchoolPa on Sep 5, 2011

This right here represents what is wrong with this country...that ENTITLEMENT attitude.  Just because a worker works for a company for X amount of years, that worker thinks he/she is a "part" of the company and is owed something.  If you don't own shares of a company, the company only owes you what it is contractually bound to pay you for labor and benefits, as applicable.  Just because a person plays the lottery in a pool for X amount of years, but was not contractually "IN" when the numbers hit, that pool does not owe that player a red cent. 

I agree that lottery pools are bad news.  First of all, they really kill the major benefit of winning a huge jackpot when it is divided up amongst all the participants.  I would much rather be a 40 year old 25M+ winner than one of X pool players walking away with under 2M.  Sure, winning 2M will change one's life, but you still have to be super conservative as that amount really represents the amount one can retire from work and maintain the SAME standard of living they currently enjoy in most cases (assumption is that person is already living within current income means).  However, winning 25M+ allows for a person to at least splurge on a ultra luxury item like a Bentley, Maybach, etc, purchase a reasonable 900,000 to 2,000,000 home, and travel in first class style at least once a month without seriously breaking the bank. 

But if I were inclined to play a lottery pool (I am not), I would have every contingency covered in the rules.  The written rules would cover eligibility (i.e. person must be a current employee of ABC company so as to avoid issue of those who leave the company for whatever reason; presumably most work lottery pools do their collection business at place of employment so that is the logic), amount of monthly contribution to be considered "IN", payout guidelines (i.e. small wins will be "reinvested" to increase number of tickets purchased when say jackpot reaches a certain level, not as a bail out the deadbeat fund), and monthly roster w/signatures of each contributor.  Additionally, no entry on the contributor list can be made without 3 designated persons verifying contribution made (this would preclude a buddy of the treasurer slipping said treasurer a contribution after the fact to get in on the winnings...yeah I know that might rarely happen, but the fact that it could should mean that measures are put in place to stop it from happening). 

So as you can see, playing in a pool is more work on the front end and it takes the excitement out of even the possibility of winning IMHO.  I would much rather just go to my favorite retail location by my lonesome, play my combination of QPs and own picks, and hope for the best.  When I wake up to the day my numbers match, I can rest assured that I will not be facing any potential lawsuits from anyone seeking to claim a share in the winnings because it was ME, MYSELF, and I that purchased that winning ticket.

I Agree!

GiveFive's avatarGiveFive

"You might think your co-workers are nice people, but when money is involved, they'll back stab you in a heartbeat."  Truer words were never spoken.   

But if you think your co-workers are bad when it comes to money being involved, your own family will backstab you when it comes down to money.  I was the executor of my late mother's estate. I saw first hand how money can do funny things to even your blood relatives.  And by 'blood relatives', I mean your brother(s) or sister(s).  I aint talkin' your in-laws here.  Anyway, those type of relatives ought to be called your "out-laws."

The atricle says the winners were "fond of" the guy who missed out.  Apparently they aint that fond of him.

People!  Wake up! The problem with most lottery pools is that they are poorly thought out and are mis-managed.  Yes, it's one helluva long shot that you'll win, but if you do win, you're going to be dealing with one helluva lot of MONEY.  Who do you know that conducts a financial transaction involving a very large amount of money without a lawyer being involved??  I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not real big on them either, but there were definitely times in my life when I needed a lawyer's services.  And those times where when a significant  amount of money was involved.

Be smart.  See an attorney and let him or her draw up an agreement for all of the members of your lottery pool. Split the attorneys fees amongst the members of the pool, and it wont be that painful. If I knew how to draw a contract like that up, I do it and sell it cheap on e-Bay.

Jamesd911's avatarJamesd911

He didn't pay, tough luck for him. 22 people is alot of people to deal with. It wasnt like a 4 person lotto pool where people would be filthy rich.

If he was a friend of mine I may give him money but the moment I found out he was trying to sue then he could kiss my butt.

malie10

Bad idea. I have 32 coworkers that we usually pool when something is over $100M. I am always the one to collect, put in for missing people, make copies and play the tickets. I always have to put in $50 or $80 to cover people, and usually don't get paid back until the drawing is over and we had lost. So now I only play with 2 coworkers and we play all of the lottery games, same numbers, twice a day in PA for a week at a time. No more missing money and I rather split 3 ways than 32 ways. *I think though that the 22 people who won this jackpot should each give this dude maybe $25,000 each. That's over a half million and then they can all move on with their lives.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by malie10 on Sep 6, 2011

Bad idea. I have 32 coworkers that we usually pool when something is over $100M. I am always the one to collect, put in for missing people, make copies and play the tickets. I always have to put in $50 or $80 to cover people, and usually don't get paid back until the drawing is over and we had lost. So now I only play with 2 coworkers and we play all of the lottery games, same numbers, twice a day in PA for a week at a time. No more missing money and I rather split 3 ways than 32 ways. *I think though that the 22 people who won this jackpot should each give this dude maybe $25,000 each. That's over a half million and then they can all move on with their lives.

That all sounds fine until you consider there were other co-workers who contributed to the pool from time to time whenever they were around when someone was collecting money but didn't the month they won.  What about them?  The pool wasn't a unique group of co-workers, the rule seems to have been anyone who paid was in and anyone who didn't wasn't, no one was obligated to pay every month to be in it the next time around.

winwi5

I'm sorry, however I would not give him anything do you know how many people will use this bogus excuse.

He did not pool  for 3 months he is not entitled to any winnings even if he was out of work it would not have hurt

him to contact someone in the group. The group in ny that won some months ago didn't have this issue when their co-worker did not want to

play and they all won he just made a statement and said they are all good people. I won $100,000.00 7 yrs ago with a group and we almost had this same issue with a co-worker she had dropped

out of the pool/group for 3 months and after we won she decided she wanted a piece. To be honest with you this guy

has no solid proof the rules are generally the same with almost every group if you don't play you are not entitled to,

any of the winnings.

Dollar419's avatarDollar419

Everyone in that lottery pool should feel very blessed to win this amount of money and it is obvious "lottery karma" played on part because the minute you don't play for whatever reason, is the very day you win big.  In my opinion, he should be able to share in the jackpot and receive the $2 million. I hope the courts will give it to him because I don't understand why they contributed for one of the other lottery players who missed playing and not for him.  It doesn't sound very fair,  if this was one of their polices in their lottery pool.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

From the OP:

Hairston contends that every month for eight years he pitched $5 into a lottery pool with co-workers at the KraftMaid company in Middlefield. While recuperating from a back injury, however, he failed to make contributions for lottery drawings in June, July and August.

Unfortunately for Hairston, the KraftMaid group picked the correct six numbers on a Mega Millions drawing on Aug. 5. After taxes and cash option costs, each member of the group stood to receive about $2 million.

Hairston showed up the next day to claim a share of the winnings, according to the lawsuit, but was told he was no longer a part of the group. He had missed three months worth of payments, and the other members had kicked him out.

Sure. He doesn't kick in for three months, they win a jackpot, and THEN he wants in.

Guru101's avatarGuru101

This guy doesn't deserve a penny. The way I see it, if you put money in for a drawing, you're in for THAT drawing. You want in next time? You gotta pay again. Pool membership is on a per drawing basis.

Jamesd911's avatarJamesd911

Exactly, If this judge allows people to get money this way then I could complain about someone I dont know winning from the same machine ive been playing at by making the argument, "I've been buying numbers on this machine for the past 10years and  I should get part of that money."

It sucks for this guy but he did not pay for THREE months!, one month maybe he could have gotten away with but there were others who lost out as well.

What it comes down to is self intitlement(sp?)  and Im sure this guy wants everyone to throw him a pity party for his back injury.

GYM RICE

There have been more people that have quit lottery pools then are playing in them.  This guy seems to be one of the people who quit playing.  I'm guessing on the two months that he didn't pay, he didn't bother seeing what the "pools" numbers were for those drawings.  And it wasn't until the jackpot that he came forward.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on Sep 6, 2011

This guy doesn't deserve a penny. The way I see it, if you put money in for a drawing, you're in for THAT drawing. You want in next time? You gotta pay again. Pool membership is on a per drawing basis.

if you're gonna do pools this is the only way to go.call it the kiss system.

Kiss.

It.

Simple.

Stupid.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by Starr920 on Sep 5, 2011

Yep, as he told and you mentioned, those 5 months paid on behalf of another pool member previously, PLUS the monies that he paid previously for other pool members previously definitely make a good evidence for the Judge being forced to act as done, include him into 1/23 of the payment of the lump-sum payouts from the Ohio Lottery Headquarters!

Though, really, here is a man, knows it's his last day at work before 'sick-leave', he has pre-scheduled surgery and spoken with the surgeon; therefore knowing that he will be away from employer -- and possibly contact with coworker fellow lottery pool members for at least TWO MONTHS while mainly in bedrest at his home.  How simple it would have been to go to the lottery pool's money collector before his last day at work and give him two or three months worth of money (at least a measly $10 ... or ask to sign an IOU note for the mentioned "small wins reserves account" if he didn't have even $5)!  People are supposed to be playing in a pool EXPECTING to win, provisions were in order.

Ridiculous how a huge lottery pool can exist for multiple years and not have fixed, documented rules that were stamped by a notary public!

Bed

dablock2k3

just give the Guy something people...................DONT GET CURSED..............HE DIDNT CONTRIBUTE FOR THE MONTHS THAT THEY DIDNT HIT AND HE DIDNT COMPLAIN.........THREE MONTHS...COME ON PEOPLE BE REAL........THATS LIKE ME PLAYING THE LOTTERY FOR 20 YEARS AND MY NUMBER COMES OUT THE DAY I DECIDE NOT TO PLAY????? DO YOU THINK THE LOTTERY GONNA PAY ME?......THIS IS A MORAL ISSUE AND THE COURT WILL THROW IT OUT..ITS UP TO THE PEOPLE IN THE POOL...NOT THE COURT.Embarassed

Quote: Originally posted by dablock2k3 on Sep 7, 2011

just give the Guy something people...................DONT GET CURSED..............HE DIDNT CONTRIBUTE FOR THE MONTHS THAT THEY DIDNT HIT AND HE DIDNT COMPLAIN.........THREE MONTHS...COME ON PEOPLE BE REAL........THATS LIKE ME PLAYING THE LOTTERY FOR 20 YEARS AND MY NUMBER COMES OUT THE DAY I DECIDE NOT TO PLAY????? DO YOU THINK THE LOTTERY GONNA PAY ME?......THIS IS A MORAL ISSUE AND THE COURT WILL THROW IT OUT..ITS UP TO THE PEOPLE IN THE POOL...NOT THE COURT.Embarassed

verrry well said .I Agree!

also theres a video outhere on aol about this and the attornity of the coworkers saying that the coworkers did ask him while he was out of work if he would like to play through that time and he clearly said no .

is a money game . moral of the story lotterypool sucks sss. best thing play individualy to prevent all these drama s

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

It is now official...this twit heads story has been aired on MSNBC (the absolutely worst network).  I still stand by thought that this guy deserves not even a red cent.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

dablock23

just give the Guy something people...................DONT GET CURSED..............HE DIDNT CONTRIBUTE FOR THE MONTHS THAT THEY DIDNT HIT AND HE DIDNT COMPLAIN.........

Give him sonething for what? Of course he didn't complain for the months he didn't cough up and they didn't hit.

But when they did hit he reappears and says, "Where's mine?" If there's any curse involved he's putting a curse on himself for trying to pull such a stunt, wanting in after-the-fact.

Anyone who doesn't ante up is not in the pot, that's all there is too it.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by Guru101 on Sep 6, 2011

You can see it however you want, but membership is always based on the rules of the pool. It seems pretty clear from the article that all parties agree that membership in this pool was at least on a monthly basis rather than a per drawing basis. If the guy who's suing is telling the truth and the group previously covered for people who weren't at work for various reasons that creates a precedent that may well be correctly interpreted as part of the pool's contract. If the pool kept small winnings and used them to make payments for those who were absent they've created a precedent that probably prevents them from kicking anyone out of the pool without accounting for that person's contributions to those previous winnings.

One thing that's 100% certain is that whatever each side spends on legal fees could probably have been saved  by simply putting the agreement in writing.

PHILLIESPHAN

The guy deserves nothing.  No one hears hide nor hair of him in 3 months and the day after the win he comes beboppin in.  Please.

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Sep 6, 2011

if you're gonna do pools this is the only way to go.call it the kiss system.

Kiss.

It.

Simple.

Stupid.

i guess the 2nd S applies to me that was supposed to be.

K.eep

I.t.

S.imple.

S.tupid. Embarassed

Quote: Originally posted by surimaribo24 on Sep 7, 2011

verrry well said .I Agree!

also theres a video outhere on aol about this and the attornity of the coworkers saying that the coworkers did ask him while he was out of work if he would like to play through that time and he clearly said no .

is a money game . moral of the story lotterypool sucks sss. best thing play individualy to prevent all these drama s

thats interesting,i know a guy that said "i would litigate, cause it would't cost me anything"

same guy that told me"when they announce me the winner i'gonna say it's the first ticket i bought in my life"

kalikgirl's avatarkalikgirl

What a sad story Why sue when you didnt make any contributions?? I mean was thee a contract that stated funds were to be extracted if persons were unable to pay for some reason or the other???

jjtheprince

Lottery pools should just be illegal.  They cause a lot of problems & it's better to see just one person win.

Make it a law that a winning ticket can only be claimed by one individual.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Sep 8, 2011

Lottery pools should just be illegal.  They cause a lot of problems & it's better to see just one person win.

That was a rule in Ohio and many other states years ago but it didn't stop people from forming lottery pools.  It just made one person responsible for all the taxes which was generally more on prizes less than a million dollars than it would be divided up among all the winners.  It's still the rules for amounts of $10,000 or less in many states today.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by jjtheprince on Sep 8, 2011

I have a different take on that.

I'd prefer to have the option to join a pool if I so desired or not join one if I don't.

We already have too many laws written by politicians telling us what we can or can't do.

Freedom is always the best choice in a simple matter like this.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story