Maryland has its first Powerball lottery jackpot winner

Sep 8, 2011, 8:45 am (24 comments)

Powerball

Update (10:37 am):  Retailer location and commission.

By Todd Northrop

For the first time since Powerball lottery tickets went on sale in Maryland in Jan. 2010, a ticket sold in the state of Maryland won the Powerball jackpot.

The winning ticket, sold at Wine World on Constant Friendship Boulevard in the town of Abingdon, in Harford County, is worth $108.8 million, or $65 million as a lump-sum cash payout.  The winner also faces withholdings of 25% for federal taxes and 9.25% for Maryland state taxes.

After tax withholdings, the winner can expect a net payout of around $43 million if they choose the cash option, according to USA Mega's Powerball Jackpot Analysis.

For selling the winning ticket, Wine World will earn a commission of $25,000, Lottery officials said.

The winning numbers for the Sept. 7 Powerball drawing were 3, 5, 18, 27, and 54, with Powerball number 13.  The Power Play number was 4.

Aside from the Maryland jackpot winner, another five players matched the first 5 numbers for a $200,000 second-prize win: 1 from Georgia, 1 from New Jersey, 2 from Pennsylvania, and 1 from Wisconsin.  Three of those winners — 1 each from the states of Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin — also played the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, and will have their prizes elevated to $1 million.

An additional 51 players matched 4 of 5 numbers plus the Powerball number to win $10,000.  Seven of those winners also played the Power Play option, increasing their prizes to $40,000.

Abingdon, Maryland, is a small unincorporated community located 25 miles northeast of Baltimore.  It was named after Abingdon, England, and was founded by and is the birthplace of William Paca, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and the third Governor of Maryland.

Now Abingdon will also be known as the town where Maryland's first Powerball jackpot was sold, and perhaps home to a new millionaire.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

konane's avatarkonane

Hope the winner is a Lottery Post member.Big Grin  Congratulations to whomever they are!  Party

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by konane on Sep 8, 2011

Hope the winner is a Lottery Post member.Big Grin  Congratulations to whomever they are!  Party

I Agree! That would be extra nice.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

well I personally hope thar smart enough to stay anonymous unlike that wiccan wizard ......

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Congrats! I hope that it is 1 person & not a lottery pool!

& now it is Pennsylvania's turn for the first big winner here for Mega Millions !!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs Up

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

1) PLAY MORE OFTEN FOR LESS LINES.LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT= A SINGLE LINE QUICK PICK PER DRAWING.Hey you never know.US Flag

A SINGLE LINE QUICK PICK

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/234945/2160879

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Sep 8, 2011

1) PLAY MORE OFTEN FOR LESS LINES.LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT= A SINGLE LINE QUICK PICK PER DRAWING.Hey you never know.US Flag

A SINGLE LINE QUICK PICK

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/234945/2160879

You could never work in Government !!!!!!!!!!

You don't spend enough !!!!!!!!!!!

Jester Laugh

Starr920

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Sep 8, 2011

well I personally hope thar smart enough to stay anonymous unlike that wiccan wizard ......

Congratulations to the winner(s)Hurray!

At least in Maryland, they have the option to remain anonymous. Thumbs Up 

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

Bananacongrat's to the Maryland Powerball winners.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I was just saying that we were due for a boozer to win a big Jackpot.

So you can imagine how elated I was to hear the winning ticket was sold at Wine World.

They don't call me the Oracle of the Appalachians for nothing.

Finally, an avowed boozer wins!   Hurray!

delS

Quote: Originally posted by Starr920 on Sep 8, 2011

Yes I salute the Maryland Winner.  I am so happy for him/her/them.  Lol!!!  Im also thrilled for Md. to finally, finally, finally win the Powerball.

I did win on three tickets a total of $14.  But, I would like to be planning on the $43,000,000.

Yay Maryland.

delS

Quote: Originally posted by Starr920 on Sep 8, 2011

One more thin:  Yes, I would remain anonymous!!!!!   Always.  To fade into the sunlight!

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Good for the winner!

And of course for all those saying 'Why Maryland, who not _ _ _ _ _ _', or 'why them, why not me', it's Whine World!

Sad Cheers

erdie

Congratulations to the Maryland Lottery Winner; hope to see more Maryland winners in the future to come!!!!

CutlassBob's avatarCutlassBob

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Sep 8, 2011

So you can imagine how elated I was to hear the winning ticket was sold at Wine World.

Cheers          *BURP*         Cheers

Congratulation's from Michigan!!

freeobama's avatarfreeobama

Now the winner can buy their own Wine World.Dance

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by freeobama on Sep 8, 2011

Now the winner can buy their own Wine World.Dance

I'll drink to that!

And the first thing they should do is change the name to Whiskey World or maybe something fancier like The Wonderful World of Whiskey!

And maybe they could sell food items too to get extra foot traffic. I think a good item would be Babe Ruth's Chicken Soup in a Sponge (I jazzed up the name to make it more exciting).  I think that would really bring in the clientele. And it has crossover appeal too, it draws in the sports fans as well as the soup fans. I mean c'mon, who doesn't like Babe Ruth? Are you kiddin' me? This is gonna be off the hook!

grwurston's avatargrwurston

Wine World is about 10  minutes  away from me. But I don't go there. There's two other liquor stores within 5 minutes.

Congratulations to the winner!!!!!

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Sep 8, 2011

Good for the winner!

And of course for all those saying 'Why Maryland, who not _ _ _ _ _ _', or 'why them, why not me', it's Whine World!

Sad Cheers

Here I go. Why not me? I just had to say it.

Congrats to her, him or them, but I would be lying if I didn't wish it was me. I'm sure all the other millions of losers do too. Sad Cheers

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by grwurston on Sep 8, 2011

Wine World is about 10  minutes  away from me. But I don't go there. There's two other liquor stores within 5 minutes.

Congratulations to the winner!!!!!

You should've went there wednesday. lol

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

TONITE !!!!!!!

Pennsylvania's first big win on Mega Millions !!!!!!!

Coming home to Scottdale !!!!!!!!!!!

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Congraulations to the Powerball Jackpot winner in Maryland.

CashWinner$

LOL 

You rock Ridge!

CashWinner$

I'll drink to that!

And the first thing they should do is change the name to Whiskey World or maybe something fancier like The Wonderful World of Whiskey!

And maybe they could sell food items too to get extra foot traffic. I think a good item would be Babe Ruth's Chicken Soup in a Sponge (I jazzed up the name to make it more exciting).  I think that would really bring in the clientele. And it has crossover appeal too, it draws in the sports fans as well as the soup fans. I mean c'mon, who doesn't like Babe Ruth? Are you kiddin' me? This is gonna be off the hook!

Gracious...your're killin' it... LOL

I barely logged on & me already LMAO....

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by CashWinner$ on Sep 10, 2011

LOL 

You rock Ridge!

Well, thank ya lil darlin, I'm beholden to ya.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story