Lottery winner hits back at school bullies

Sep 19, 2011, 10:46 am (24 comments)

UK National Lottery

Charmaine Watson makes an unlikely theatrical impresario. At the age of 31, she lives in a modest home in Eynsham, a backwater of Oxfordshire. Yet this year the quietly spoken woman, who has never been abroad, has decided to step into the backstage world of the musicals she has always loved.

Watson's daring move has been made possible by a large lottery win that has given her a new purpose in life. A victim of sustained bullying during her school days, Watson is now using a large chunk of the money she won to finance a rock musical with an anti-bullying message that opens in London next month.

"The songs in this show make you feel you can achieve anything you want to," she said. "I have always been one to go to every show I can and I'm really hoping that this will change some of the lives in the audience. If one child watches it and feels able to tell their parents or teachers about bullying, this will be the best lottery money I could ever have spent."

The show, Stand Tall, is directed by Simon Greiff, who took the hit Queen musical We Will Rock You on tour, while the musical supervisor is Peter White, who directed the orchestra for the anniversary production of Les Misérables at the Barbican last year.

Like Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Stand Tall started as a show for schools, based on the David and Goliath story. "We are living the dream now because of all the interest," said the show's publicist, Michael Dove.

"I approached Charmaine to see if she was interested in investing, partly because she was local to us in Oxfordshire. She really bought into the show when she heard the music and that's why we made her associate producer."

Written by Lee Wyatt-Buchan, Aldie Chalmers and Sandy Chalmers, the musical has already won a Princess Diana anti-bullying award for its message. The author Philip Pullman was one of its early fans and West End producers became interested two years ago.

Watson's decision to invest £20,000 in Stand Tall was due to the bullying she endured at secondary school, an experience that caused her to suffer a complete loss of confidence, she says. "I was just the wrong face in the crowd. I was shy and they made fun of me for living in a council house, for my weight, my height, my hair colour – everything. They picked on me every day for five years and I hated going to school so much that I would make myself physically sick. One day I just ran home crying into my mother's arms and she contacted the school. It took years for me to recover."

Watson's £2.3m lottery win came six years ago when she was struggling to bring up her first child, Ryan, on her own. "My grandad started buying me a lottery ticket every Wednesday after my 16th birthday, but that week he checked the wrong numbers," she said. "On Friday, my phone was ringing from about five in the morning because my grandmother had checked them again. I went round to their house with my son and they held up the numbers to show me."

Watson still feels shocked by her luck. "Even now it hasn't sunk in. I am overwhelmed that I can give my children things I never had. I bought a home for my son and me, and I bought my mother her home too."

Just before her big win, Watson began a relationship with an old friend, Robby, and the couple, now married, have two children together, Georgia and Daniel. She has recently trained as a florist and hopes to open a shop in the area.

"I spoke to my bank manager about investing in Stand Tall and he explained the risks, but I decided to take it into my own hands," she said.

Watson plans to attend the premiere at a south London theatre next month. But if the show goes on to tour abroad, like We Will Rock You or Les Misérables, she will have to get her first passport.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

The Observer

Comments

kyokushin187's avatarkyokushin187

She wouldn't look bad if she lost about 200 lbs. Now that she has money she will make that a priority

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

well I wish her tons of luck .........

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

US Flagcongrat's to Charmaine Watson for taking on the bulling issue something that is all to common in our schools , I hope this play actually make it to the USA . She really need a passport . I also hope it done in many different languages.

Starr920

Quote: Originally posted by cbr$ on Sep 19, 2011

US Flagcongrat's to Charmaine Watson for taking on the bulling issue something that is all to common in our schools , I hope this play actually make it to the USA . She really need a passport . I also hope it done in many different languages.

I Agree! I applaud her for taking a negative experience from her childhood and using her lottery winnings to turn it into something positive - not just for herself but for all the kids out there who are dealing with bullies.  CBS aired a special on bullycide last week and the stories of kids who committed suicide were just heartbreaking.  Her investment of $20,000 is really not much compared to all the good it can do to bring more awareness to the public via this musical play.  I hope the financial return on her investment will be tenfold or even a hundredfold.

Starr920

Quote: Originally posted by kyokushin187 on Sep 19, 2011

She wouldn't look bad if she lost about 200 lbs. Now that she has money she will make that a priority

I realize that some people prefer looks over substance but what a silly thing to say in response to this news story.  If you actually read the article you would know that Mrs. Watson's £2.3m lottery win did not just happened - it was six years ago.   Obviously losing 200 pounds wasn't a priority then and I doubt it's a priority now No Nod

TheRightPrice

Bullying is bad for bad for sure. an epidemic nowadays

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by TheRightPrice on Sep 19, 2011

Bullying is bad for bad for sure. an epidemic nowadays

sure compared to the olden days a million more ways to attack a person and or group

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I dont know what childhood could be like without bullying. I mean, bullying builds character and toughens weaklings. I was bullied and I did some bullying myself. This helicopter parenting, where parents just cannot stop hovering around in every moment of their kids lives, is getting bizzare by the day. I believe that kids of the same age should be let to sort out their differences.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Sep 19, 2011

I dont know what childhood could be like without bullying. I mean, bullying builds character and toughens weaklings. I was bullied and I did some bullying myself. This helicopter parenting, where parents just cannot stop hovering around in every moment of their kids lives, is getting bizzare by the day. I believe that kids of the same age should be let to sort out their differences.

I disagree with you. Bullying leads to people taking or trying to take their lives in quiet a few cases. Honestly I don't really want to say it, but I was one of those people. And as someone who was bullied horribably in school, it didn't give me character. It made my life a living hell and caused me extreme anguish that effects me to this day.

Starr920

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Sep 19, 2011

Did you have the internet when you were a child?  When you were a kid, did you come home from school, go on your FB page or whatever and read alot of nasty comments from your schoolmates in addition to the physical bullying you experienced while at school?  And        if a kid commits suicide after enduring that kind of physical/cyberbullying, do you still think its okay because bullying builds character and toughens weaklings or do you just consider that nature's way of weeding out the weak from the strong?  Get real   .....   it's a new day and what's goes on now is much different than what you may have experienced as a child.

dearsha

" i still want to be rich"US Flag/ be right back got to go buy some ticket's   Lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll   / i want to help the homeless oneday.RazzEmbarassed

CashWinner$

Congratulations to you! Great piece! Sun Smiley

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Kids can be vicious to each other.

And now that the touchy-feely libs will have you thrown in jail for spanking your child, kids are more vicious than ever.

Kids need their asses beat by their parents at a certain age to make them understand the norms of acceptable behavior in society.

But the libs teach the kids to call the cops if a parent spanks them.

And therein lies the problem.

I hope this nice lady's efforts have some effect on bullying but I doubt they will.

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

tiggs95's avatartiggs95

This sweet lady was to drop a few hundred thou tiggs way she could spank tiggs all night...long and hard!..mmmmmmmm

C0w Pi3

Quote: Originally posted by kyokushin187 on Sep 19, 2011

I don't know with all that money she can now eat some very nice food which may not be so good for you. In all honesty I applaud her for doing this and wish her the best of luck with the concert and the anti bullying message.

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Sep 19, 2011

And now that the touchy-feely libs will have you thrown in jail for spanking your child, kids are more vicious than ever.

Kids need their asses beat by their parents at a certain age to make them understand the norms of acceptable behavior in society.

I hope this nice lady's efforts have some effect on bullying but I doubt they will.

I Agree!

CashWinner$

Quote: Originally posted by tiggs95 on Sep 19, 2011

This sweet lady was to drop a few hundred thou tiggs way she could spank tiggs all night...long and hard!..mmmmmmmm

Green laugh

Piaceri

Completely agree. I wopped my two many times with my wooden spoon. Once my son told me I couldn't do that and he was going to call the cops. I handed him the phone and said dial 911. But don't bother packing a bag or any of your toys because they will not only throw me in jail, but put him in a foster home with strangers with nothing but the clothes on his back. And after that he'd be lucky to see any of us or his friends ever again. He hung up the phone and went to his room. (lol) 

On the other hand, had a cousin who's son called the cops on him and spent a night in jail. Cuz never disciplined his son again, and as a matter of fact, barely spoke to his son for years.

Good for this young lady to put her lottery winnings to good use, and I wish her all the best. Maybe this will be good for her soul, a healing that will allow her to move on past what the bullies did to her. I totally believe bullying needs to be controlled, but control starts at home.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Sep 19, 2011

I disagree with you. Bullying leads to people taking or trying to take their lives in quiet a few cases. Honestly I don't really want to say it, but I was one of those people. And as someone who was bullied horribably in school, it didn't give me character. It made my life a living hell and caused me extreme anguish that effects me to this day.

Scarychick, I am so sorry that is something you had to go through and live with everyday, My son tells me stories of kids who get bullied, mostly girls by girls,this is a wake up call long overdue, Parents ...pay attention to your kids, PERIOD !

SADLY, Many parents like having kids who are bada$$es, I went to one of the toughest Detroit High Schools going and many parents encouraged fighting, for the stupidest things, "who was dissed," "who was disrespected" "who was giving looks"

My parents taught us to know when to stand up and when to walk away and If you can't walk away, make sure your punches count, they instilled self respected and self esteem, something many bullies lack. They told us bullies want others to feel as bad as they do, and chances are their parents probably treat them very badly.

So hence the cycle of abuse repeats.

I have a careful line, of parenting and hoovering, there is a time to speak up and tell my son there is something wrong and there is a time where he has to work out differences with his friends, balance. There are parents who pay no attention until disaster strikes and there are those who interfer in every aspect, those are the people who are most difficult to deal with either way .

Scarychick, it must have been very painful for you to write those words and bear your soul, but know this , many will read them and know they have to pay more attention to their children, if you woke up just one person, you made this world a better place to live in.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Sep 20, 2011

Scarychick, I am so sorry that is something you had to go through and live with everyday, My son tells me stories of kids who get bullied, mostly girls by girls,this is a wake up call long overdue, Parents ...pay attention to your kids, PERIOD !

SADLY, Many parents like having kids who are bada$$es, I went to one of the toughest Detroit High Schools going and many parents encouraged fighting, for the stupidest things, "who was dissed," "who was disrespected" "who was giving looks"

My parents taught us to know when to stand up and when to walk away and If you can't walk away, make sure your punches count, they instilled self respected and self esteem, something many bullies lack. They told us bullies want others to feel as bad as they do, and chances are their parents probably treat them very badly.

So hence the cycle of abuse repeats.

I have a careful line, of parenting and hoovering, there is a time to speak up and tell my son there is something wrong and there is a time where he has to work out differences with his friends, balance. There are parents who pay no attention until disaster strikes and there are those who interfer in every aspect, those are the people who are most difficult to deal with either way .

Scarychick, it must have been very painful for you to write those words and bear your soul, but know this , many will read them and know they have to pay more attention to their children, if you woke up just one person, you made this world a better place to live in.

Thank you, Sully for the kind words. I mean it. Love I don't think a lot of people realize that bullying is just a horrible form of abuse and doesn't make kids stronger. It tends to screw them up mentally. I am glad that you are teaching your son right. I think he is going to grow up and be a good kid.

And really, I think a lot of reason why children are so abusive and horrible to one another is because some parents and teachers stand by and don't stop the kids from hurting each other. I know because when I was bullied, there would be teachers standing right there and they wouldn't stop them.

And hearing in the news all the kids taking their own lives, well, it's sad that things don't seem to change and that people want to say that everyone gets bullied and they should just get over it. Well, the mind doesn't work that way, depression and thoughts of worthlessness don't just go away. Especially in young, impressionable kids who have to go into a negative and hostile enviroment everyday.

Empress-N's avatarEmpress-N

Rdgrnr, You couldn't have said it any better.

A good beating is what builds character and teaches respect.

Some of todays kids have no manners whatsoever and some parents are no better, they side with their kids wrong doings and bad behavior.

Train up a child in the way that he/she should grow and they will never depart from it.

An ex-coworker said I was curel, so I asked her how much does she love her 70+ year old mother and she looked at me dumb founded, I then asked her if her mother takes walks alone and she said yes and inquired what it has to do with anything so I had to explain it slowly to her.

Here goes.... How would you like it if my children was undisciplined, unruly, trouble makers, gang bangers etc., who goes around jumping old ladies for their purses and your mother became a victim of theirs?

Her response.... I wouldn't want that happening to my mother or anyone else for that matter.

My answer... Good, so let me whoop their behind this way they won't turn out to be one of those awful kids.

If you plant a seed and watch it grow into a plant and one day you notice the plant leaning over in the wrong direction it would behoove you to prop it up to help it grow straight otherwise if you wait until it grows too big it will be totally impossible to get it to grow in the proper direction. (Fact not Fiction).

Way back in the days a good fist fight would have settled the score, but it is evedent that does not work in this day and age. guns and fire bombs have taken over, leaving parents burying their kids instead of putting a band aid on their wounds.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Quote: Originally posted by Starr920 on Sep 19, 2011

Did you have the internet when you were a child?  When you were a kid, did you come home from school, go on your FB page or whatever and read alot of nasty comments from your schoolmates in addition to the physical bullying you experienced while at school?  And        if a kid commits suicide after enduring that kind of physical/cyberbullying, do you still think its okay because bullying builds character and toughens weaklings or do you just consider that nature's way of weeding out the weak from the strong?  Get real   .....   it's a new day and what's goes on now is much different than what you may have experienced as a child.

I meant the old fashioned kind of bullying. The kind where kids assemble somewhere and lay it on the weakling. No kicks no punches, no social networks where mean words can last forever.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Sep 20, 2011

Thank you, Sully for the kind words. I mean it. Love I don't think a lot of people realize that bullying is just a horrible form of abuse and doesn't make kids stronger. It tends to screw them up mentally. I am glad that you are teaching your son right. I think he is going to grow up and be a good kid.

And really, I think a lot of reason why children are so abusive and horrible to one another is because some parents and teachers stand by and don't stop the kids from hurting each other. I know because when I was bullied, there would be teachers standing right there and they wouldn't stop them.

And hearing in the news all the kids taking their own lives, well, it's sad that things don't seem to change and that people want to say that everyone gets bullied and they should just get over it. Well, the mind doesn't work that way, depression and thoughts of worthlessness don't just go away. Especially in young, impressionable kids who have to go into a negative and hostile enviroment everyday.

You are welcome, Love

Hermanus104's avatarHermanus104

When I first read the title, I thought that she was going to use her winnings either to 1) brag to the bullies about her winnings or 2) locate the bullies, travel to them, and then beat them up. I am glad that she has much nobler intentions in mind.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story